Healthcare and life sciences in Switzerland
Bär & Karrer Ltd. is regularly instructed by national and international corporations, and impresses with a broad practice. In addition to being active in M&A and capital market transactions, disputes and regulatory matters, the team also advises on questions regarding drug distribution and marketing. Regulatory expert Markus Schott assists his clients in both contentious and non-contentious matters; he jointly leads the practice with Markus Wang, who specialises in IP. Philippe Seiler and Alexandra Johnson complement the team.
Markus Schott; Markus Wang
- Advised Novartis and Alcon on the spin-off of Alcon as an independent, publicly traded company.
- Assisted the purchaser of a clinic in the ophthalmology sector.
- Provided the Health Department of the Canton of Zurich with an expert opinion regarding the dismissal of a physician.
CMS impresses with its broad coverage of work in the healthcare and life sciences field. The team is experienced in commercial cooperation agreements, financial benefits, comprehensive regulatory advice and compliance, as well as court and administrative proceedings. Patrick Sommer is well versed in merger control, parallel trade and clinical trials. Alain Raemy is noted for his expertise in healthcare law, and associate Marion Wyler is another key member of the team. Felix Kesselring left for Bratschi Ltd in early 2020.
‘Good team for investing in early stage life science companies and the corporate group understands the key issues in the transactions.‘
Synlab Suisse SA
Kieser Training AG
Syncona Investment Management Ltd.
Synlab International GmbH
Nextclinics International GmbH
Bayer (Switzerland) AG
Liva Nova Switzerland SA
- Assisted Synlab International with the development and implementation of various compliance documents for Switzerland.
- Acting for the Swiss branch of Bayer in the local administrative proceedings regarding price recommendations for ED Medications traded over-the-counter.
- Advised Bruker on the acquisition of PMOD Technologies LLC.
Homburger's life sciences practice fields specialists from the corporate, M&A, IP, competition and regulatory areas. It is often involved in significant transactions, proceedings and patent matters. The latter is a key area of expertise of Andri Hess, who is, together with Georg Rauber, the key contact in IP-related queries. Dieter Gericke is active in transactions, while Franz Hoffet and Marcel Dietrich cover competition, compliance and regulatory matters. Richard Stäuber and Luca Dal Molin made partner at the beginning of 2020.
Dieter Gericke; Marcel Dietrich; Georg Rauber
Johnson & Johnson
Santhera Pharmaceuticals Holding
Zur Rose Group
- Represented Illumina in non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) patent enforcement and accompanying proceedings before the Swiss Federal Patent Court, among others.
- Assisted Therachon with its sale to Pfizer and on the spin-off of Therachon’s Apraglutide programme.
- Acting for Eli Lilly in an investigation concerning alleged vertical price fixing.
VISCHER has a strong track record in transactions in the life sciences space, in which it acts for companies, entrepreneurs and investors alike. It is also well versed in advising clients on compliance matters, administrative procedures and other regulatory matters. Stefan Kohler has longstanding experience in the sector and further advises on IP and technology law. He jointly leads the practice alongside Matthias Staehelin in Basel, who is a key contact for M&A, IPOs and financings in this space. Christian Wyss, also in Basel, has considerable knowledge in setting up contracts and assisting start-ups.
Stefan Kohler; Matthias Staehelin
‘Vischer has a strong commitment to support emerging life science companies and has a very good understanding of the specific needs, capabilities and limitations of these young firms.’
‘The firm provides services which are extremely robust and also cost-efficient for the client. It has the broadest experience and knowledge of the life sciences industry and can provide relevant advice based on its cultivated know-how. The firm stands out for its knowledge, accuracy, speed, integrity and customer focus.’
‘Matthias Staehelin is an excellent lawyer in all corporate and board matters.’
‘Christian Wyss stands out as an extremely knowledgable professional. He is always going beyond the basic requirements in order to understand his client’s needs and strives to see problems from their point of view. He takes extreme care to produce results which attend to the current and future needs of his clients.’
Numab Therapeutics AG
Mattern Pharma AG
AC Immune SA
Polares Medical SA
BACHEM HOLDING AG
Kuros Biosciences AG
Polyneuron Pharmaceuticals AG
- Acted for Anaveon in its CHF35m Series A financing round led by Syncona and joined by the Novartis Venture Fund.
- Assisted Numab Therapeutics with entering into an exclusive regional licensing agreement with CStone Pharmaceuticals.
- Represented Polyphor in a CHF6.8m capital increase with Novo REPAIR.
Baker McKenzie is noted for its involvement in multi-jurisdictional mandates as well as its close collaboration across practice groups and offices. The team covers the gamut of healthcare and life sciences matters, including M&A, PE investments, licensing transactions, contracts, compliance and regulatory matters. Practice head Matthias Courvoisier specialises in capital market transactions. Other members of the team include Peter Reinert, who is well versed in competition, and international trade expert Serge Pannatier; both of them also advise on employment law. Eva-Maria Strobel is noted for her IP expertise.
Actelion Pharmaceuticals AG
Baitella Holding AG
HBM Partners Ltd
Cell Medica Ltd
Cosmo Pharmaceutical NV
Basilea Pharmaceutica AG
Sanofi Aventis (Suisse) SA
The International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations
NLS Pharma AG
Curasept A.D.S. S.r.l.
- Managing various of Abbott’s trademarks in Switzerland.
- Advised the joint global coordinators and joint book runners, UBS and Morgan Stanley, on the rights offering to Zur Rose Group.
- Assisted Cosmo Pharmaceuticals with its debt offering in the Eurobond markets.
BianchiSchwald LLC has a comprehensive offering in the healthcare sector. It counts companies and insurers as well as clinics and doctors among its clients, and the team advises on contractual negotiations, contentious matters and employment law. Marc Metzger is instructed on corporate and commercial mandates and he leads the practice jointly with finance expert Thomas Goossens in Geneva. Thomas Schmid is another key contact.
Marc Metzger; Thomas Goosens
VAMED Management und Service Schweiz AG, Zihlschlacht-Sitterdorf
Rehaklinik Zihlschlacht AG, Zihlschlacht-Sitterdorf
VAMED Health Project Schweiz AG, Zihlschlacht-Sitterdorf
Prexton Therapeutics SA
Calypso Biotech SA
Correvio International Sàrl
Rehaklinik Dussnang AG
Reha Seewis AG
- Assisting Rehaklinik Dussnang in connection with the construction of a rehabilitation clinic in Switzerland.
- Acting as legal counsel for Prexton Therapeutics and Calypso Biotech.
- Advised Cardiome International on corporate and contractual matters.
Kellerhals Carrard has a strong track record in representing clients from the healthcare and life sciences sector in disputes, particularly product liability-related, and in competition and contract law. Another pillar of the practice is assisting clients in regulatory matters, as well as in financing and M&A. Thomas Eichenberger, based in Bern, is the team leader; he is experienced in the areas of health, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices. >Claudia Götz Staehelin in Basel is a key practitioner in investigations and litigation. Lausanne-based Jean-Luc Chenaux is also noted.
‘Kellerhals Carrard delivers a very high quality of legal advice and has excellent litigation know-how. The team has excellent accessibility also on short notice and consists of nice and down-to-earth style of the whole team.’
‘Claudia Götz Staehelin has unrivalled experience as former Head of Litigation at Novartis. She’s a superb lawyer with a quick mind and an always reliable judgement.’
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
KPT Versicherungen AG
Health Sciences e-Training Foundation
Gilead Sciences Switzerland Sàrl
Visana Services AG
Blutspende SRK AG (Swiss Red Cross)
- Represented members of Interpharma in litigation regarding inadmissible price reductions.
- Assisted KPT Versicherungen regarding the reimbursement of out-of-canton elective medical treatments.
- Advised Amazentis in several private equity rounds.
The healthcare and life sciences team at Lenz & Staehelin includes practitioners from the corporate, M&A, regulatory, dispute resolution and IP practices. It advises national and international companies from the pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and medical devices sectors, among others. The key practitioners are patent experts Thierry Calame and counsel Lara Dorigo; transactions specialist Stephan Erni; Jacques Iffland in Geneva, who is experienced in capital markets; and litigation and arbitration expert Harold Frey.
Thierry Calame; Stephan Erni; Jacques Iffland; Guy Vermeil
‘The team has good communication, great strategy, and straightforward billing.’
‘Thierry Calame is an excellent advocate who gets tremendous results.‘
‘Lara Dorigo stands out for know-how, dedication, creativity, and her ‘make-it-happen’ philosophy.’
COLTENE Holding AG
Emergent BioSolutions Inc.
Hirslanden Group of Hospitals
Johnson & Johnson
Novo Holding A/S
MSD Merck Sharp & Dohme; Merck & Co. Inc.
Portola Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Teva Pharma AG
Unilabs, Laboratoire d’analyses médicales SA
- Advised NovImmune on the sale of its Emapalumab business to Novartis.
- Assisted ObsEva with its share capital increase.
- Representing Mepha/Teva as plaintiff in patent nullity proceedings involving several patents in relation to breast cancer treatment.
Mangeat Attorneys at Law LLC's team acts for medical device manufacturers and life sciences companies as well as healthcare institutions and professionals. In addition to handling corporate and commercial work in this space, it is also noted for its involvement in malpractice cases and other disputes; Grégoire Mangeat and counsel Sara Dousset are the key contacts for these cases. Fabien Aepli is well versed in commercial contracts and licence agreements.
Fabien Aepli; Sara Dousset
- Representing a medical devices manufacturer in civil proceedings against a former distributor claiming compensation for breach of the distribution agreement.
Meyerlustenberger Lachenal Ltd covers M&A, product liability and regulatory matters, with particular expertise in patent litigation, data protection and e-health. Team leader Simon Holzer and Michael Ritscher are experts in IP disputes. Kilian Schärli is a key contact in blockchain pharmaceutical use matters. Ulrike Ciesla joined in February 2019 from Hoffmann Eitle.
‘MLL offers excellent integrated legal advice in a broad range of legal fields.’
‘The team is enormously experienced in all matters of pharma IP litigation.‘
‘Simon Holzer stands out from competitors due to his commercial way of thinking – naturally combined with great legal skills, making his advice trustworthy and helpful for his client’s business.’
‘Michael Ritscher is a senior partner in the pharm IP team. He is extremely experienced, knowledgeable and has excellent knowledge of the pharmaceutical sector.’
‘Ulrike Ciesla is an excellent patent attorney and advocate. She brings real strength to the team.’
‘Kilian Schärli has excellent legal know-how and is highly appreciated for his can-do approach. He is further highly committed and always offers pragmatic solutions for his clients.’
Bioeq IP AG
Gilead Sciences, Inc.
H. Lundbeck A/S (Denmark); Lundbeck Schweiz AG
Kantonsspital St. Gallen (KSSG)
Spital Männedorf AG
Swiss Cosmetic Association (SKW)
ViiV Healthcare UK Limited
- Representing Gilead in proceedings regarding the validity and the scope of an SPC for a combination product.
- Acting for Mundipharma in several related disputes concerning patents protecting its drug Targin®.
- Assisted Modum regarding a blockchain pharmaceutical use case in its supply chain.
Pestalozzi focuses on regulatory, litigation, product liability and corporate matters, and the team is also increasingly involved in acquisitions and asset purchases and divestitures. It is experienced in working for international life sciences companies. The practice is led by trade and employment specialist Christian Roos. Franz Schubiger and Florian Mohs are further key practitioners. Lorenza Ferrari Hofer left the firm in 2020.
Johnson & Johnson
University Hospital Zurich(USZ)
Astellas Pharma Europe
Promethera Biosciences SA
Gilead / Kite Pharma
Recordati Rare Diseases
- Assisted Recordati with the licensing and regulatory aspects of a license agreement between its group company Orphan Europe and Helsin.
- Represented Anandic Medical Systems in a public procurement law dispute concerning the delivery of Patient Monitoring Systems (PMS) to the Ente Ospidaliero Cantonale of the canton of Ticino.
- Assisted a biotech company with the legal integration work in Switzerland following its acquisition of another company.
Schellenberg Wittmer Ltd impresses with a strong dispute resolution practice in the life sciences sector, with expertise in patent validity and infringement, product liability and manufacturing, distribution and clinical trial agreements. The team is further active in the transactional and regulatory space. Practice head Philipp Groz also leads the firm's IP group and is an expert in contentious matters. Professor of law Peter Georg Picht supports the team since the end of 2018 as of counsel. Lorenza Ferrari Hofer was a new arrival in September 2020.
‘The team has strong abilities in dealing with international matters. It works transparently and reliably for the best possible outcome supported by its strong legal knowledge and assessment capabilities.‘
‘SW combines very good understanding of the regulatory issues with great litigation skills.’
‘Philipp Groz is a very dedicated, hard-working and skilled lawyer. He is consistently helpful, very responsible and provides clients with high quality, perfectly prepared pieces of legal work.’
Catalent Pharma Solutions
CSL Behring AG
Ascensia Diabetes Care
Shire International GmbH
Procter & Gamble
Ascencia Diabetes Care
AOP Orphan Pharmaceuticals AG
- Assisted Santhera with several multi-jurisdictional licensing deals.
- Representing a medical device company in the Swiss part of global product liability litigation relating to its drug allegedly resulting in personal injury and death.
- Advised a pharmaceutical group specialising in medical aesthetics on a clinical trial agreement for trials to be conducted in Switzerland.
The team at Walder Wyss Ltd. has a good track record in litigation mandates in the healthcare and life sciences sector; it is particularly active in reimbursement and pricing cases, as well as in patent proceedings, which is the area of expertise of Markus Frick. Practice head Andreas Wildi is based in Bern and specialises in matters relating to international reimbursement and pricing law. Alexander Gutman in Basel has expertise in corporate law and M&A in the life sciences field.
International pharmaceutical and medical devices companies, as well as mid-sized entities and start-ups instruct Wenger & Vieli LTD on transactions, life sciences law queries and pricing and reimbursement matters. Department head Frank Scherrer knows the latter area particularly well, in addition to having expertise in marketing authorisations, data protection and competition law. Beat Speck in Zug is the firm's key contact in M&A and private equity transactions in the field. Associates Marcel Boller and Andrea Schütz are also key members of the team.
- Represented different pharmaceutical companies in appeals against price decrease decisions of the Federal Office of Public Health.
- Involved in several private equity deals regarding life sciences companies.
- Acting for a pharmaceutical company in multiple product liability lawsuits regarding one of its products.