Intellectual property and media in Sweden
With global expertise in IP and media matters, Bird & Bird is a go-to name in the Swedish market for large-scale trade mark prosecutions, patent litigation and copyright commercialisation issues. Monique Wadsted is a leading name in the media and entertainment sector, who regularly represents US and Swedish movie studios in high-profile enforcement actions, and assists with marketing and commercial matters for clients in the sport and media sectors. Practice head Gabriel Lidman handles the full breadth of contentious and non-contentious IP matters across the Nordics for clients in IP-rich sectors including the life sciences, technology, software, pharmaceuticals, consumer goods and retail industries.
Monster Beverage Corporation
Elsevier B.V., Elsevier Ltd. and Elsevier Inc.
- Representing Accumulate in patent infringement, revocation and trade secret litigation against Finansiell ID-Teknik BID.
- Representing a range of Swedish and US movie studios including Disney and Colombia Pictures in filing a blocking injunction against Swedish ISP Telia to combat infringement on piracy sites including Pirate Bay.
- Acting for Monster Beverage in trade mark opposition and cancellation matters before the Patent and Market Court.
Advokatfirman Delphi has substantial expertise in IP protection and enforcement matters and also acts in cross-border patent, marketing and trade secret litigation for leading names in the life sciences, media, financial services and IT sectors. Practice co-head Peter Skoglund handles global IP portfolios for clients in the consumer goods, fashion, sports and food and beverage industries, while fellow co-head Henrik Bengtsson is a go-to name for advertising law. The team also acts in high-profile injunction litigation, copyright disputes and litigation arising from unfair marketing practices.
‘I have used Delphi for several marketing law disputes, they have deep expertise in these areas. They are very responsive and good on dispute resolution strategy too.‘
‘Henrik Bengtsson and Richard Lenemark are second to none when it comes to experience with marketing law litigation in the Swedish Courts.‘
International Federation of the Phonographic Industry
Procter & Gamble
STS Student Travel School
PS Auction AB
SF Studio AB
- Representing the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (for music and film rights holders) in a high-profile injunction case against a Swedish ISP for the blocking of torrent sites.
- Engaged in a copyright dispute by Wikimedia Sweden against BUS (the Swedish visual copyright society) concerning the right to communicate pictures of public artworks online.
- Representing Cipla Europe in two trade mark proceedings before the Patent and Market Court regarding the alleged infringement of a purple coloured asthma inhaler.
Patent litigation is a key area of strength for Advokatbyrån Gulliksson, with stand-out individuals Mattias Malmstedt and Hans-Anders Odh, who are both based in Lund, and Malmö-based practice head Jens Olsson frequently appearing before the Swedish and European Courts for a high-profile client base. The group also handles the full range of contentious matters involving trade marks, copyrights and design issues, as well as commercialisation strategies, marketing law issues and portfolio management mandates. The practice works closely with an associated patent firm to provide clients with a patent filing service.
‘Brings a unique combination of specialised skills in IP matters combined with humbleness, courage and business understanding.‘
‘One of the strengths of the practice is the speed with which they answer and address your problems. They have an excellent network of foreign contacts which provides country-specific advice. Their knowledge of the law is excellent.‘
‘Advokatbyrån Gulliksson is among the elite within intellectual property rights in Sweden.‘
‘Per Ericsson has outstanding competence, bringing courage while being nuanced in his view. You couldn’t ask for a better legal partner.‘
‘Cecilia Tholse is the partner I have worked most closely with. She is always available, always helpful and resourceful.‘
‘Therese Grennard and Magnus Friberg are two individuals who have been very helpful. They provide precise and swift advice.‘
EISAI R&D Management
- Representing Aktiebolaget Trav & Galopp in trade mark infringement litigation relating to the Legolas mark.
- Representing Seiko Epson in two patent infringement disputes concerning patents for ink cartridges.
- Representing Ikea on a regular basis in design and copyright litigation.
Sandart&Partners Advokatbyrå KB fields an extensive team of highly regarded professionals covering all aspects of contentious and non-contentious IP matters. Experienced litigators Dag Sandart, Peter Sande and Anders Kylhammar regularly handle pan-European trade mark, patent, copyright and design disputes across the pharmaceuticals, life sciences, mechanical engineering, biotech and telecoms sectors. Karin Cederlund is a go-to name for advertising law in media, fashion and entertainment. The team also handles IP licencing and commercialisation strategy issues and advises on IP-led transactions.
‘This is a very strong, well versed and versatile team which gets the job done.‘
‘The team consistently delivers high-quality deliverables and advice on time, with a highly appreciated proactive approach.‘
‘Sandart & Partners is the go-to place in Sweden for IP-related work. Their team is unparalleled for providing to-the-point and pragmatic advice and excellent litigation skills when it matters.‘
‘A practical, down-to-earth team with great legal skills.‘
‘Anders Kylhammar and Karin Cederlund stand out as excellent practitioners, each with their own effective approach.‘
‘Peter Sande never seems to be without an answer.‘
‘Karin Westerberg and Sofia Kax are client-focussed and skilled lawyers.‘
‘Peter Sande does not take anything for granted and fights hard for every case.‘
‘Dag Sandart and Anders Kylhammar are highly skilled and incredibly easy to work with. Both are creative in their thinking, excellent in strategy and to the point in their advice.‘
‘Karin Cederlund is a skilled lawyer with good commercial sense.‘
At Setterwalls, Martin Levinsohn leads the firm's patent litigation offering and handles big-ticket disputes in the pharmaceuticals and life sciences sector; he is also a go-to name for parallel-import litigation. The firm handles significant IP-intensive transactions under the leadership of Fredrik Roos, while Per Lidman and co-head Sophia Spala routinely assist with trade mark enforcement and prosecution work, marketing law issues and IP licensing and commercialisation strategies. The team’s client list comprises names across the automotive, fashion, media, consumer goods and e-commerce industries.
‘Setterwalls has an amazing team with the ability to understand the most complex cases. With thorough research and hard work they deliver a service where you can expect them to achieve desired outcome.‘
‘Fredrik Roos is exceptional. In a context where I normally work with large multinational firms on transactions I still tend to turn to Fredrik when it gets tricky- he is pragmatic and he really gets what the issue is. A great support.‘
‘Consistently excellent- this is a firm with a very solid profile in IP litigation for the pharmaceuticals sector.‘
‘Great experience when it comes to marketing assessments.‘
‘A strong team with in-depth competence in all IP-related matters‘
‘Very highly motivated and always trying to find solutions “out of the box”. They have my biggest recommendation!‘
‘I have worked with Sophia Spala on several occasions. She has always listened very carefully to understand our needs, then patiently guided us through the process while discussing our various options. She serves you in an organised and respectful manner which makes you feel comfortable even under stressful situations. Her skills and strategic decisions have helped me and my company to achieve outcomes better than expected.‘
‘Per Lidman is very professional and his work integrity is admirable.‘
‘There is a lot of heart in the firm, which is something we value being a smaller company. We do not feel like just one small fish in the pond.‘
‘Sophia Spala is a top-notch, customer-centric lawyer. She is always on top of things and so easy to work with. Her advice is always to the point and commercially minded. Clients really like to work with her as she gets things done with a good end result. I can really recommend her.‘
FlixMobility GmbH and FlixBus
Komplett Services Sweden AB
Komplett Distribution Sweden AB
- Successfully represented GE in a patent dispute against the global power technology company ABB.
- Representing Fresnius Kabi Deutscheland in a patent dispute for the use of pemetrexed disodium.
- Acting for the Swedish fintech company Simplex in a trade mark dispute against the Swedish electricity company Enkla Elbolaget.
The full-service IP practice at Advokatfirman Vinge is jointly led by Håkan Borgenhäll and Eva Blum, and recently acted in a range of patent infringement litigation and trade mark disputes for clients in the pharmaceuticals, heavy industry, consumer goods and food and beverage sectors. Richard Wessman and Olof Jisland handle global IP portfolios comprising trade mark and copyright assets for a varied client roster. The team also lends its expertise to the firm’s top-tier corporate department to advise on the IP elements of M&A transactions.
‘The team is very skilled and puts a lot of focus into understanding important details. The team is also very strong in building the relationship. Further, the team has a quick turn around time in all matters and keeps to committed time lines.‘
‘A big team with great availability.‘
‘The IP team at Vinge has a very competent and service-oriented mindset brings confidence to the client.‘
‘The individuals are all very experienced in their respective fields of expertise. All communication is very friendly, and relationship building is a natural part of the collaboration.‘
‘Håkan Borgenhäll is an extremely knowledgeable and experienced litigator.‘
‘Richard Wessmann is extremely knowledgable with good availability. A great litigator.‘
‘Håkan Borgenhäll is an outstanding IP professional both in the Swedish context, but also in an international perspective.‘
Swedish Match North Europe AB
Orkla Foods Sverige AB
Eli Lilly and Company
Alfa Laval AB
Swedish Olympic Committee
Tele2 AB Comhem
Bisca AB and Bisca A/S
- Representing tobacco company Swedish Match North in a case concerning trade mark infringement and misleading marketing accusations against Skruf Snus.
- Representing Orkla Foods against Nestlé regarding Nestlé’s use of the trade mark Felix for cat food.
- Representing Eli Lilly and Company in a patent infringement dispute relating to its patented use of the pharmaceutical product Alimta.
Westerberg & Partners
Newly established boutique Westerberg & Partners comprises an impressive team of ‘IP heavyweights’ with extensive knowledge of all elements of the field. Jonas Westerberg is a leading name for patent litigation, while practice head Henrik Wistam takes on anti-counterfeiting cases, trade mark litigation and copyright protection issues. The group handles the full spectrum of trade mark and design prosecution mandates; Helena Wassén Öström is a key name in this field. Malcolm Wiberg leads on matters relating to IP commercialisation together with Ia Modin who focuses on contract law for R&D and innovation. The team also handles global IP portfolios for multinational clients. The addition of Stefan Widmark and Bodil Ehlers, from Kastell Advokatbyrå AB further enhanced the team's media law expertise.
‘Our experience with Westerberg & Partners is excellent. The team is very responsive and impresses with wide and in-depth knowledge of the whole spectrum of IP-related issues, such as litigation, strategic advice, handling of IP portfolios, commercial agreements, tech transfers and regulatory work.‘
‘Super efficient and always responsive.‘
‘The team is competent, responsive and provides high-quality legal services at a very competitive cost.‘
‘A new boutique firm founded in 2019 by strong individuals ensuring a high service level. With its focus on IP the firm possesses a wide knowledge base for any client faced with IP issues. The attorneys are quick, approachable, practical and top ranking in their respective fields.‘
‘Great knowledge and experience of truly international prosecution work. An excellent boutique firm with strength in depth which is highly user-friendly and responsive.‘
‘Henrik Wistam and Ludvig Holm are highly recommended individuals in the firm. Both are very responsive, effective and provide value-added advices.‘
‘Super structured, knowledgable and always responsive.‘
‘Jonas Löfgren, the head of the life sciences practice, is an excellent lawyer. He combines a deep understanding of the legal and regulatory framework with business acumen and pragmatism. He is solutions oriented and particularly good at anticipating his client’s needs. He quickly understands even the most sophisticated aspects of the business thanks to his curiosity and agile intellect.‘
‘I have been working with Henrik Wistam – one of the founding partners – for over 11 years. Besides the keen understanding that Henrik has of what is critical to our company’s success in Sweden, he is a practical, solutions-driven strategist, consistently to-the-point, with in-depth knowledge of his field.‘
‘Siri Alvsing has proven to be a very sharp litigator, who is comprehensive in her advice without losing sight of a practical solution.‘
‘Helena Wassén Öström has a huge degree of experience.‘
‘Linnea Harnesk has great academic skills, industry knowledge and interest.‘
‘Jonas Westerberg is an experienced and well-respected authority.‘
‘Ludvig Holm is dedicated and approachable.‘
‘Björn Rundblom Andersson is calm and authoritative.‘
‘Jonas Löfgren is intellectually powerful and gives clear, practical advice on regulatory matters.‘
Finansiell ID-Teknik BID
H & M
- Represented ABB in a €25m patent infringement and invalidity dispute regarding the technology behind one of its infrastructure projects.
- Handling the IP portfolio of Astrid Lindgren Company on a global basis including the character mark for Pippi Longstockings.
- Representing Mundipharma in patent infringement proceedings regarding the sale of a medicinal product.
Baker McKenzie’s IP and media group head Peder Oxhammar provides strategic IP licensing, commercialisation and marketing advice to a diverse client list of multinational corporates across the digital media, automotive, entertainment, medtech, IT and pharmaceuticals sectors. The practice assists with global trade mark prosecutions and filing services and provides corporate transactional support; the team also acts in patent litigation.
‘The firm has great experience with industrial risk insurance products and claims.‘
Raoul Wallenberg Academy
Specsavers Optical Group
Galderma (Nestlé Skin Health)
Storytel Sweden AB
THQ Nordic AB
KRY (Webbhälsa AB)
- Assisted Raoul Wallenberg Academy with securing international trade mark protection for its trading name, as well as advising on collaborative usage of the trading name with third parties.
- Assisted Galderma (Nestlé Skin Health) with its out-licensing for worldwide commercialisation and development rights for Deflux, Solesta and Barrigel to Pharmanest.
- Advising Specsavers on marketing law issues relating to its advertisements and social media-related trade mark matters.
Advokatfirman Cederquist KB has a strong practice in media, marketing and art law, with Johanna Linder and Malin Allard, who co-head the integrated IP, IT and media practice, advising on marketing campaigns, IP rights pertaining to software and databases, commercial agreements for media and technology platforms and licensing agreements in the broadcasting space. The team also handles trade mark portfolios and litigation before the Patent and Market Court.
‘Highly reachable and knowledgable. Provides timely and hands-on legal advice with a pragmatic approach.‘
‘I found the team highly professional, proactive and very knowledgeable on the topic of IP.‘
‘Malin Allard is a very appreciated lawyer for an in-house counsel. She is easy to work with due to her clear communication and hands-on legal advice.‘
‘Johanna Linder is highly knowledgable and reachable. She stands out as an excellent lawyer when it comes to GDPR.‘
‘Malin Allard has a very proactive, warm and friendly approach.‘
Bonnier Broadcasting AB
AB Svensk Filmindustri
Telenor Connexion AB
Samsung Electronics Nordic AB
Perfect Day Media AB
Itiviti Group AB
Björn Borb AB
Föreningen Svensk Elitfotboll
Billerud Korsnäs Aktiebolag
Furry Friends AB
BSH Home Appliances AB
Noquo Foods AB
- Assisting podcast platform Acast with securing rights, licensing and distribution of audio content for its platform. Also assisting with advertising and sponsorship agreements.
- Advising Konstnärernas Riksorganisation on matters pertaining to art law including the protection of copyright, the public procurement of artwork and negotiations between artists and development companies.
- Defending Daisy Grace in a trade mark infringement case before the Patent and Market Court concerning the DAISY GRACE Mark.
The litigation-focused IP boutique Gozzo Advokater handles the full range of copyright, patent and trade mark disputes for a global client base. Ann-Charlotte Söderlund is a market-leading name in criminal anti-counterfeiting cases, particularly in the furniture, music and fashion sectors, and has experience in matters before the European Court of Justice. Patent disputes in the pharmaceuticals, biotech and the industrial sectors are routinely handled by Ragnar Lundgren, while Håkan Sjöström is a go-to name for copyright conflict matters in the entertainment industry. Senior associate Catharina Bratt regularly handles advertising and marketing law issues including cooperation agreements, film production agreements, music agreements and the associated copyright matters.
‘Håkan Sjöström is meticulous, sharp and has up-to-date skills in IP.‘
‘Ann-Charlotte Söderlund Björk is an excellent IP lawyer with a lot of experience and knowledge and a very nice person to work with.‘
‘No screwing around, trying to prolong the process in order to have a chance to earn more money. In fact, their actions aimed at saving us money. And when it came to the actual trial, they had a good strategy. And I learned a lot from their lawyers- they were very good at explaining why certain actions were taken.‘
‘Ragnar Lundgren was extremely good and effective to work with. And Catharina Bratt was very much the same. They made a very good team. And even though our opponents did what they could to generate problems, they stayed on course and completed their well thought through plan. Extremely strategically smart.‘
Svensk Drama Pop
Benny & Jessica
- Defending Ipiccolo in a patent infringement dispute.
- Representing Swedish rock musician Tobias Forge in a high-profile dispute with former band members concerning royalties and revenues of the band Ghost.
- Representing B-Stedt of Sweden in patent invalidation and infringement litigation.
Mannheimer Swartling’s IP team handles high-value IP-led transactions, licensing and cooperation agreements, and strategic portfolio management matters. In other non-contentious mandates, practice head Niklas Sjöblom handles media and broadcasting rights, trade mark prosecutions and the lifecycle management of pharmaceutical products. Oscar Björkman Possne leads on contentious matters including life sciences patent litigation and is acting in a number of landmark blocking injunctions for a leading internet service provider. Per Josefson moved in-house.
‘A highly capable team for life science patent litigation. They provide timely advice, achieve great results for clients and are highly professional.‘
‘Oscar Björkmann Possne is excellent. I have worked with him and Per Josefson in the past and they are both extremely skilled patent litigators.‘
Volvo Cars Corporation
City of Stockholm
Western Sweden Region
Novamedia Sverige AB
- Handled the complex licensing and IP aspects of Västra Götalandsregionen (Western Sweden Region)’s procurement of a new AI system to be implemented into the healthcare system across 49 jurisdictions.
- Representing Leo Pharma in proceedings before the European Patent Office against Sandoz regarding the client’s pharmaceutical product Daivobet.
- Defending internet service provider Telia in the high-profile blocking injunction concerning torrent websites including Pirate Bay.
Under the joint leadership of Peter Danowsky and Ulf Isaksson, TIME DANOWSKY Advokatbyrå AB (a recently established merger between Danowsky & Partners and Time Advokatbyrå KB) is a market-leading name in the field of media law. Danowsky and Isaksson frequently represent national newspapers, broadcasters and entertainment companies in copyright infringement litigation and libel cases. On the non-contentious side, the team handles trade mark prosecution services including filing, clearance, monitoring and opposition matters for its core media client base, as well as a growing list of names in the design and financial services sectors.
‘Great experience and knowledge of the media industry.‘
‘Danowsky & Partners offers outstanding support and advice in matters within the field of media, publication and freedom of expression.‘
‘Ulf Isaksson has exceptional engagement and is the kind of counsel you need by your side to navigate in the fast changing media landscape. His knowledge of matters related to freedom of expression is outstanding.‘
‘Maria Häägg is committed and a rising star.‘
Scandic Hotels AB
AB Dagens Nyheter
AB Kvällstidningen Expressen
Sveriges Television AB
- Defending MittMedia in a libel claim brought by a businessperson regarding an article alleging improper business dealings.
- Acted for Dagens Nyheter in a copyright infringement case concerning the use of photos from a Swedish politician’s Facebook account.
- Representing public service broadcaster Sveriges Television in a highly publicised copyright infringement suit brought by a populist party member.
An extensive team of patent attorneys at AWA provides the full scope of IP prosecution services, with Julia Mannesson handling global portfolios for clients in the IT, mechanics and physics sectors. Peter Kenamets is a go-to name for patent litigation including infringement, validity, opposition and entitlement matters in the life sciences, telecoms and manufacturing industries. Kristian Martinsson routinely handles trade mark enforcement and prosecution issues, and Fredrik Lüning stands out for his commercialisation expertise in the technology sector.
‘This team is really excellent at patent litigation. The focus on the detail, the strategy, and the client service is impressive.‘
‘Peter Kenemets is very impressive indeed.‘
Nestlé Skin Health
Tetra Pak AB
BOE Technology Group
- Filing, maintaining and prosecuting a portfolio of over 100 European patents for Chinese technology corporation BOE Technology.
- Handling complex global patent applications for medtech company CellaVision.
Cirio Advokatbyrå AB
David Leffler and Sanna Wolk, who head up Cirio Advokatbyrå AB’s IP and brand protection practices respectively, handle the full range of matters spanning trade mark and copyright protection, commercialisation issues and enforcement work, and also acts in cross-border disputes before the EUIPO. Christopher Tehrani heads up the patent litigation practice and regularly represents clients in the life sciences, pharmaceuticals and telecoms sectors.
‘Christopher Tehrani knows every detail of Swedish and international law that you need to litigate a patent in Sweden.‘
Mental Health in Mind International AB
Stockholm Live AB
Sprint Bioscience AB
Boule Diagnostics AB
- Represented Mental Health in Mind International in EUIPO Board of Appeal proceedings regarding the application of the trade mark YAM.
- Advising Monokel Eyewear on IP strategies and commercial agreements.
- Assisting Stockholm Live with IP strategy and analysis, marketing law and licensing agreements.
Boutique firm COM ADVOKATBYRÅ provides commercial and regulatory advice to big-ticket names in the media, IT, telecoms, entertainment and culture industries. Helene Hillerström Miksche and her team handle marketing law issues, copyright and trade mark management work (including litigation), commercial negotiations with actors and other performers, and issues pertaining to broadcasting regulation. Miksche and senior associate Helena Ehinger also have notable expertise in free speech rights and defamation issues.
Blixten & Co
Nordisk Film Distribution
Erik Haag and Lotta Lundgren
- Assisting Nordisk Film Distribution with the marketing and commercial issues arising from the distribution of Sony PlayStation products.
- Representing metal band Entombed in a trade mark dispute before the EUIPO concerning the client’s logo.
- Assisting live entertainment company Blixten & Co with contractual agreements between artists, screenwriters, actors and musicians.
The IP and media practice at DLA Piper is a key choice for global publishers, film and TV studios, games developers, news corporations and other media institutions for the full spectrum of issues. Practice head Emil Ödling advises on copyright law, distribution negotiations, trade mark matters, marketing law, freedom of press matters and IP commercialisation work. Sports law is also a key area of strength for the group, and the team is also seeing an increase in mandates from the gambling sector. Senior associate Christopher Büller advises a range of clients from the automotive, clothing and retail sectors on trade mark infringement and enforcement strategy issues.
‘DLA has a great understanding of the IP and media business.‘
‘Emil Ödling understands our needs in the cases we present to him. He will see solutions in very complicated legal negotiations which is always extremely helpful for us.‘
Black Spark Film & TV
BOB Film Sweden
Brand New Content
Brand New Television
Commercial Sports Media
Eyeworks Scandi Fiction
Film i Väst
ITV Studios Nordic
MTG Modern Studios
Nice Entertainment Sweden and This is Nice
One Nice One
Stella Nova Filmproduktion
The Association of Swedish Film and TV Producers
- Acting for the Swedish Film & TV Producers Association on the negotiation and drafting of a new framework agreement with the Swedish Writers Guild.
- Advised game developer Embark Studios on copyright and development negotiations with Korean online-gaming distributor Nexon.
- Assisting with copyright and freedom of the press issues for The Financial Times.
Heidenstam Legal Advokat AB
With offices in Gothenburg, Malmö and Uppsala, Advokatfirman Lindahl KB fields an extensive team of IP experts handling the breadth of issues for high-profile Swedish brands. Of particular note is the team’s commercialisation expertise, with the highly praised group head Johan Norderyd and life sciences expert Hugo Norlén managing global portfolios and the relevant multi jurisdictional licensing negotiations. Trade mark and patent litigation is also routinely handled; associates Christian Sundén and Lukas Jönsson are noteworthy names.
‘We highly appreciate their outstanding responsiveness, great team spirit and excellent combination of legal skills and pragmatic handling of complex issues.‘
‘Provides the strategic overview required for highly complexity matters and never fails to deliver impressive turnaround times.‘
‘We have always found the team’s responsiveness and work ethic impressive. We rate the team’s capacity to handle international work as top-notch.‘
‘Johan Norderyd provides very astute legal analysis but is also excellent in taking commercial considerations into account when providing advice.‘
‘Johan Norderyd is a fantastic IP lawyer with an excellent focus on the life sciences sector.‘
‘Johan Norderyd is an excellent attorney with enormous experience. Clients appreciate his calm, prudent manner with which he tackles most complex legal problems and solves them confidently, even under great pressure.‘
‘Johan Norderyd and associate Christian Sundén have a proven track-record for delivering high-quality input to us in the most complex matters.‘
‘Johan Norderyd is very accessible with a good knowledge of my company’s business and strategy.‘
‘Lukas Jönsson is swift with his responses and we appreciate the clarity in his communications. His depth of knowledge of client’s matters and understanding of the business side of things is particularly impressive.‘
‘We were impressed Tobias Carlsson’s attention to detail in the matters that he worked on. Tobias is always on top of the matters which he handles.‘
- Managing the trade mark portfolio for Haribo, which includes the protection and enforcement of 3D trade marks.
- Represented household appliances retailer Elon in trade mark licence negotiations as part of its Nordic expansion.
- Defended Separett in cross-border trade mark and marketing disputes brought by competitor Sirius Technologies.
At Roschier, department head Erik Ficks has a particularly strong presence in the publishing and digital media fields; the team often advises on licensing, IP commercialisation and copyright issues for market-leading publishing houses, entertainment companies, digital streaming services and broadcasting companies. Patent litigation is also a key area of strength for the practice, with Björn Johansson Heigis and senior associate Hanna Tilus representing clients in the life sciences, technology and automotive sectors. Rebecca Huselius and Gustav Melander are go-to names for trade mark and design prosecution mandates.
‘A very competent and service-minded team with an excellent understanding of our business and needs.‘
‘Knowledgeable and up to date with recent legal developments.‘
‘Erik Ficks is easy to work with, very service-minded and has an excellent understanding of our business and how our IP legal issues fit into the bigger picture. I also appreciate his support as a discussion partner for strategies and various business issues and not just purely legal matters.‘
Bonnierförlagen (Bonnier Books)
C More Entertainment
- Handling a range of trade mark and copyright issues, including commercialisation work and licensing strategies, for Bonnier Books.
- Defending Autoliv in patent litigation filed by Volvo claiming compensation under an alleged licence agreement.
- Managing all issues arising from the Moomin Characters rights portfolio, from domain name and trade mark filings to infringement disputes.
On the contentious side of Wistrand’s IP and media practice, team co-head Erik Ullberg regularly handles copyright infringement litigation, trade secrets disputes and contentious patent work. Christel Rockström, who also co-heads the practice, leads on media and marketing-related matters including representing publishing platforms in defamation cases. The team also lends its IP expertise to corporate transactions for the firm’s roster of international corporate clients.
Schibsted Media Group
Nordic Choice Hotels
Lagardère Sports and Entertainment
The Swedish Hockey League (SHL)
Michael Weinig AG and Raimann Holzoptimierung GmbH & Co
Eversheds Sutherland’s Stockhollm office assists the firm’s global network with IP commercialisation, prosecution and enforcement matters, and also handles the associated trade secrets litigation. Practice head Richard Jacobsson leads on IP-related transactional issues and franchise agreements for a range of IT, industrial and consumer goods clients.
Alimak Hek Group
- Advising Alimak Hek Group on the IP elements of its acquisition of a Swedish software and technology company.
- Advised an engineering client on the licensing of patents and the related contracts including a settlement arrangement with a competitor.
- Advised a client on the international commercialisation of patented cash registry and fiscal control technology.
Front Advokater fields experts in advertising and marketing law, trade mark prosecutions and IP commercialisation issues. Integrated with the firm's IT and data protection groups, the team has particular knowledge of IP issues in the technology and software sectors. Key contacts include Robert Moldén and Petter Holm.
Hammarskiöld’s IP practice handles trade mark portfolios for a number of multinational clients including companies in the fast food, entertainment and software sectors. Typical instructions include trade mark filing and renewals, infringement applications and marketing-related issues. The practice is jointly led by Thomas Lindqvist and Claes Langenius.
Svenska Akademien (Swedish Academy)
- Regularly assisting Universal Music Publishing with trade mark registration and renewal matters.
- Assisting McDonald’s with trade mark registrations and renewals.
- Advising Svenska Akademien (the Swedish Academy) on potential trade mark infringement issues.
MAQS Advokatbyrå’s IP and media practice is jointly led by Gothenburg-based Christina Berggren and David Berggren in Malmö; the group provides trade mark protection and enforcement strategy advice to a client list comprising domestic and global clients in the clothing, automotive and consumer goods sectors. The team also handles commercialisation and copyright strategies in the media and entertainment sector. Recent contentious matters included trade mark infringement litigation with cross-border elements.
‘Great people who understand my business. I use the firm as my one-stop shop.‘
‘Maria Jennerholm has in-depth knowledge with a speedy delivery.‘
Hyundai Motor Company
Volvo Trademark Holding AB
The Coca-Cola Company
Elkjöp Nordic AS
Essity Hygiene and Health AB
Stampen Lokala Medier AB
ASKO Appliances AB
Cyan TM AB
Salming Trademarks AB
Axel Arigato AB
Coco & Nuts AB
- Acted for The Coca-Cola Company in a trade mark opposition case against Spanish company GrupoCacaolat, obtaining a favourable judgement before the Patent and Market Court.
- Assisting Cyan Racing with its global trade mark, copyright and design strategy.
- Advised Essity Hygiene & Health on the enforcement strategy for its TORK trade mark.
Next Advokater has enhanced its IP offering with the recruitment of Tom Kronhöffer from Ramberg Advokater, who is highly rated for his expertise in anti-counterfeiting litigation, trade mark infringements and other enforcement issues. Magnus Tonell co-heads the practice alongside Kronhöffer and has expertise in trade secret litigation, marketing law and copyright disputes.
‘A specialist IP practice which is responsive and easy to deal with.‘
‘Next has an impressive combination of IP skills; on the one hand, a deep knowledge of IP as a form of protection and at the same time impressive litigation and strategic skills.‘
‘The recruitment of Tom Kronhöffer has really bolstered the team at Next, since they are now able to provide service within the entire IP and media field.‘
‘Tom Kronhöffer is surely one of the best IP litigators of Sweden. He has long-term experience in anti-counterfeiting for clients around the world. All of our clients love him.‘
‘Tom Kronhöffer is a great lawyer to work with. Very good on client relations and pragmatic. Also good at anti-counterfeiting, especially within e-commerce and digital matters.‘
‘Magnus Tonell has deep expertise in copyright law and in general very knowledgeable within IP.‘
‘I have worked with Tom Kronhöffer and I am impressed with the encyclopaedic knowledge of IP and related enforcement skills he has.‘
‘Magnus Tonell is one of the top names in the country for trade secrets work.‘
‘Ellinor Wilow is an extremely promising young IP lawyer.‘
‘Magnus Tonell is a hardworking lawyer who always goes the extra mile for his clients.‘
Synch Advokat AB
Synch Advokat AB assists a client roster of life sciences, digital technology and electronics companies with the full scope of IP commercialisation, prosecution and enforcement issues including copyright and patent litigation. Practice co-heads Mathilda Nordmark and Sara Sparring have expertise in rebranding and licensing strategies. Mårten Lindberg is developing the firm’s media and entertainment practice; he is advising gaming, television, advertising and publishing companies on regulatory and commercial mandates.
‘Sara Sparring is an impressive all-rounder in IP. She masters the full spectrum making her advice very business-oriented.‘
Znipe Esports AB
Samsung Electronics Nordic AB
Apotek Produktion och Laboratorier AB
Astma– och Allergiförbundet
Com Hem Holding AB
Hi3G Access AB
- Represented life sciences company Livio in a trade mark opposition case against Webbhälsa relating to the LIVI mark.
- Provided PicHit.me with strategic IP advice, copyright support, licensing structuring advice and trade mark registrations for an online image sharing platform.
- Assisting games developer Starbreeze with trade mark protection, enforcement and commercialisation issues, as well as handling the company’s publishing arrangements.
Magnusson Advokatbyrå’s IP and marketing law practice is headed up by Helena Rönqvist, who advises on marketing and communications regulations, international trade mark strategy, transactional work and trade secret disputes. Clients stem from a range of sectors, notably the fashion, retail, sports and pharmaceuticals industries and the public sector.
‘Helena Rönqvist is approachable, knowledgable and service minded.‘
Hope Stockholm AB
Söderberg & Partners
- Representing Borderlight, a Swedish developer of IT networks, services and systems, in a dispute regarding the alleged disclosure of trade secrets.
NORDIA Law is highly regarded for its expertise in the sports and marketing fields, with key contact Karl Ole Möller advising football associations, sports marketing companies, distributors and creative agencies on commercial, sponsorship, IP and regulatory matters. Fredrik Persson and Mårten Stenström are noted for their trade mark and copyright expertise and handle prosecution, IP commercialisation and infringement disputes for a diverse client base including gambling, agriculture and digital media names.
‘Mårten Stenström is really outstanding in many ways. We have been working in some quite tricky cases during the years with great outcomes in difficult situations. The knowledge of Mr Stenström is impeccable and it is extremely calming to have an attorney who knows how to act in difficult situations.‘
IMG UK Ltd – London
IMG Media Ltd – London
IMG (Sweden) AB
CAA Creative Artist Agency
UEFA Legal Division
IMMAF International Mixed Martial Arts Federation
EM Soccer – Eriksson Management AB
ME Sports Marketing AB
Gotlands Snus AB
Virtual Stores AB
- Advising ME Sports Marketing on its cooperation agreement with the National Hockey League regarding the management of NHL Enterprise’s European business operations.
- Providing strategic IP advice to CAA Creative Artist Agency and CAA Sports Sweden, particularly regarding image rights agreements.
- Defending Play’n GO Malta, an online gaming and casino company, in trade mark infringement and unfair competition claims brought by Novomatic.