Sandart & Partners Advokatbyrå KB advises clients on contentious and non-contentious IP matters and is highly experienced in high-profile cross-border litigation, particularly in the life sciences sector; it also has strong expertise in media and entertainment mandates and the automotive industry. Dag Sandart is a key name for patents and contract negotiations, while Peter Sande handles disputes relating to patents, copyright, trade marks and license agreements. Karin Cederlund advises on IP and advertising law and has litigated before the Court of Justice in the European Union, while Julia Ericsson is recommended for marketing law, trade secrets work and litigation. Anders Kylhammar handles commercial matters, including litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Intellectual property and media in Sweden
Other key lawyers:
Julia Ericsson; Dag Sandart; Peter Sande; Anders Kylhammar; Karin Cederlund; Karin Westerberg; Mattias Erdös; Linda Landén
‘Most experienced patent litigation team in Sweden. Probably more in-depth knowledge than anyone else in Sweden.’
Setterwalls has ‘deep knowledge of the industry and the Swedish patent law’ and handles the full range of IP matters for clients in the healthcare, automotive, technology and retail sectors, among others. On the contentious side, the practice advises on a broad range of disputes including patent litigation, while, in the non-contentious space, the team stands out for its stand-alone trade mark department. Fredrik Roos handles transactional work, licensing issues and marketing matters; Per Lidman is a veteran patent litigator; Sophia Spala is a key name for trade mark litigation and prosecutions as well as copyright and unfair competition matters; and Martin Levinsohn is another notable practitioner for IP litigation, particularly in the life sciences sector.
Martin Levinsohn; Per Lidman; Sophia Spala; Fredrik Roos
‘Excellent understanding of our business combined with solid legal knowledge results in a best in class support.’
‘As a tech start-up it is important to be with lawyers that are able to work fast and be creative and find the right balance of risk taking. The Setterwalls team is highly skilled and I trust them completely. They take full responsibility for the impact of their work.’
‘I have a strong feeling that our lawyers have knowledge and understanding of our company which makes it easy to jump between high level strategic discussions and specific technical legal issues. I have great trust in their skills and experience.’
‘They have a personal way of working which creates valuable relationships.’
‘Fredrik Roos is simply exceptional – I have used many law firms across three continents and Fredrik remains my main go-to-person when I need pragmatic business-based legal advice.’
‘Deep knowledge of the industry and the Swedish patent law. Good availability. Timely advice, and focused on the relevant questions posed.’
‘IP litigators who frequently represent generic parties in life sciences patents disputes.’
‘Martin Levinsohn – the captain of the ship with a steady hand on the helm. Significant representation of generic parties in life sciences disputes.’
Coop Sverige AB
Finansiell ID-teknik BID AB
Rivian IP Holdings
Komplett AS/Webhallen AB
Boozt Fashion AB
SWEP International (Dover)
Life Europe AB
- Representing Epiroc, a global leader in mining equipment, in patent infringement and revocation proceedings against its main competitor Sandvik concerning battery powered rock drilling rigs.
- Representing Jollyroom as the claimant in several disputes relating to improper market practices.
Fielding ‘a highly knowledgeable and efficient team of IP lawyers’, Advokatfirman Vinge advises clients on transactions, contract negotiations, strategic matters and disputes. The group's core areas of focus include copyright, patent and trade mark law and trade secrets work. Richard Wessman heads up the team and is well versed in trade mark, design and unfair competition litigation, and Håkan Borgenhäll offers similar experience, in addition to handling marketing law and the establishment of IP rights. Malin Malm Waerme, who was recently promoted to partner, acts for domestic and international clients and focuses on the enforcement of IP rights.
Other key lawyers:
Anette Henrysson; Håkan Borgenhäll; Stojan Arnerstål; Malin Malm Waerme
‘Highly knowledgeable and efficient team of IP lawyers. A superb choice.’
‘Håkan Borgenhäll is a respected senior legal statesman. I have worked with him for many years with great pleasure. Calm, thoughtful and friendly.’
‘Malin Malm Waerme is a younger partner with a super grasp of the law and technology. Very good in court and capable in written submissions.’
‘Vinge’s IP team is excellent at understanding the commercial side of our business, while always delivering substantiated and practical advice. They are also very reachable. It is a pleasure to work with their team.’
‘Richard Wessman is probably one of the best IP litigators in Sweden. He is creative, able to think outside the box and finds practical solutions to complex issues in our business. I am very happy with his services.’
‘Super professional team that goes above and beyond to understand our business and the challenges we face.’
‘Richard Wessman’s deep knowledge of both IP and business is unique and we always get business-oriented advice, clear and to the point. Very much appreciated.’
‘The intellectual property team at Vinge, headed by partner Richard Wessman, has assisted us in a large number of matters in diverse areas of intellectual property law. The team consists of several leading individuals within their respective fields and many up and coming young talents giving the team a wide range of experience and knowledge.’
Eli Lilly and Company
Pernod Ricard/The Absolut Company
Swedish Match North Europe
Swedish Olympic Committee
Thomas Concrete Group
MSD (Merck & Co.)
Star Stable Entertainment AB
Hästens Sängar AB
Viva Wine Group AB
Daniel Wellington AB
MGI International Sales Co., Limited
- Representing Latvia MGI Tech SIA, MGI Tech Hong Kong Co., Ltd. and MGI International Sales Co., Ltd in 12 patent disputes where the counterpart is Illumina, a US company.
- Entered into a long-term co-operation with the Swedish Olympic Committee (SOC) as the official legal adviser on business law and successfully assisted and represented the SOC in the managing of numerous trade mark infringements related to the 2021 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
- Providing Apple Inc. with legal services related to management of trade mark portfolios, inter alia searches, filings, maintenance and renewals, strategies and monitoring services.
Dedicated IP boutique Westerberg & Partners fields specialists in prosecutions, commercial matters and litigation, and has considerable experience of the automotive, consumer goods, fashion, life sciences and media sectors, among others. Henrik Wistam heads up the practice and is a key name for trade mark litigation, while Jonas Westerberg is a veteran patent litigator who is well known in the market. Stefan Widmark handles copyright and media and entertainment matters; Helena Wassén Öström is recommended for portfolio management work and acts for large multinational clients; and Ludvig Holm handles enforcement issues and litigation. Wendela Hårdemark recently joined from MAQS Advokatbyrå, while Bodil Ehlers left for an in-house role.
Other key lawyers:
Jonas Westerberg; Ludvig Holm; Björn Rundblom Andersson; Stefan Widmark; Helena Wassén Öström; Siri Alvsing; Wendela Hårdemark
‘A specialised IP Litigation firm with high knowledge of IP law.’
‘Partner Björn Rundblom Andersson is very knowledgeable about patent law as well as the strategic aspects of the litigation. He also answers emails extremely quickly and you can always count on high attentiveness to your matter.’
‘Dedicated boutique firm on all things IP. Significant pedigree in the partner ranks recruited from other firms specialising in IP and patents. Market disruptor.’
‘Jonas Westerberg – senior statesmen in the IP and patents field in Sweden. He has a wealth of experience in running patent cases and strategy. Has very good practical and commercial common sense.’
‘Björn Rundblom Andersson is making a name for himself in the Swedish IP and patent litigation scene.’
‘A genuine understanding and interest of our business.’
‘Very open to find ways to provide support tailored to our specific needs.’
‘Ludvig Holm has extensive experience and understanding of our business (game development), providing pragmatic and to-the-point advice.’
H&M Hennes & Mauritz
- Representing a leading fintech company in patent as well as a trade secret/copyright litigation.
- Acting for Illumina in a multitude of parallel patent proceedings regarding the infringement and validity of patents in the DNA sequencing field.
- Managing significant parts of the global trade mark portfolio of fashion giant H&M, including the H&M brands.
AWA is well known in the market for its prosecution work; it also handles disputes, strategies and commercial issues, and fields specialists in patents, trade marks, design, copyright and domain names. With a network of offices across Europe and Asia, the firm is well placed to handle cross-border matters and the team is led by experienced patent attorney Kristina Walls, who has particular experience in matters pertaining to the biotechnology, immunotechnology, microbiology and food engineering sectors. Jeanette Jakobsson joined as Senior European Patent Attorney from Zacco.
Other key lawyers:
Louise Jonshammar; Ted Hagman; Kristian Martinsson; Niklas Mattsson; Jeanette Jakobsson; Lars Petterrson
‘High-quality team at all levels and functions.’
‘High attention to detail and their handling of our patent portfolio is handled with an understanding of our business model and needs.’
‘All patent attorneys have super high skills and they are a good team that support each other.’
Mölnlycke Health Care
- Successfully assisting a wine producer with trade mark infringement and misleading representation issues.
- Advising a clothing and protective gear manufacturer on EU competition law matters.
- Assisting a telecommunications and cloud communications platform with transfer agreements.
Bird & Bird fields ‘strong and specialised media and IP lawyers, backed by one of the largest media and IP practices in Europe’. In the contentious space, the group often handles IP litigation relating to pharmaceuticals patents, copying of software, commercial deals and trade secrets in a range of industries. The team is led by Gabriel Lidman, who deals. Former group co-head Monique Wadsted left the group in early 2023 to establish her own firm.
‘Bird & Bird provided clear and well-founded advice that could effectively be used to close one of our largest deals.’
‘Gabriel Lidman, Partner, was personally committed and provided excellent advice in a speedy manner.’
‘They have very strong and specialised Media and IP lawyers, backed by one of the largest media and IP practices in Europe within Bird & Bird as one integrated firm.’
‘Gabriel Lidman is a very strong negotiator and litigator. He is also very attentive.’
Aptiv Contract Services Sweden AB
Monster Beverage Corporation
Öjvind Fahlström’s estate
- Representing Accumulate AB in a trade secret/copyright litigation against Finansiell ID-Teknik BID AB before the Patent and Marketing Court, in regards to a method for secure transactions.
- Assisted Aptiv Contract Services Sweden AB in a major trade secret case against Lear Corporation Gothenburg AB at the District Court of Gothenburg.
Advokatfirman Delphi is ‘very experienced and gives the impression to be one step ahead’. It acts for large international blue-chip clients on IP strategy and enforcement matters relating to trade marks, design rights and copyrights, and handles contentious matters including litigation and arbitration proceedings. The team is jointly led by Henrik Bengtsson, counsel Kristian Fredriksson and specialist counsel Maria Winckler, who recently joined from an in-house role. Bengtsson has considerable experience in trade secrets, advertising matters, IT work, data privacy and disputes. Agnes Hammarstrand is a key name for marketing law and e-commerce matters.
Henrik Bengtsson; Maria Winckler; Kristian Fredriksson
Other key lawyers:
Peter Skoglund; Agnes Hammarstrand; Rebecka Harding
‘The members of the team are very experienced and give the impression to be one step ahead.’
‘They are very interested in what is best for us and listen to our wishes but gives practical advice.’
‘A really solid and well informed team.’
‘Well informed and interested to know more to be able to use it.’
‘Henrik Bengtsson is creative and one of the most knowledgeable in IP law in the Nordics.’
Procter & Gamble
Cipla Europe NV
Oriflame Cosmetics AG
Clas Ohlson AB
Advokatbyrån Gulliksson fields ‘an extremely competent team’ led by Magnus Dahlman, Jens Olsson and Hans-Anders Odh. It is particularly strong in contentious issues pertaining to the life sciences, handling a high number of patent disputes for international pharmaceuticals companies. Disputes in the automotive industry are another area of strength and the practice is often engaged in cross-border litigation and arbitration proceedings. Odh is a key name for copyright infringement cases, commercial issues and marketing law, Olsson is experienced in patent, trade mark, design and copyright litigation, and Dahlman handles contentious and regulatory issues. Senior associate Therese Grennard is also recommended.
Magnus Dahlman; Jens Olsson; Hans-Anders Odh
Other key lawyers:
Per Svärd; Therese Grennard; Peter Ekstedt
‘Extremely competent team. Won every case. Dare to give advice.’
‘Very good with clients in terms of service, pro-activeness and can explain to people that aren’t lawyers.’
‘Per Svärd. Must be the best in Sweden. He has been right (and won every case) every time – 100%. Besides, very nice to deal with. Understands the reality of his clients’ businesses.’
‘The good thing about Gulliksson is that they have all different types of expertise in-house and man every issue according to your needs.’
‘They are extremely attentive and fast when contacted for help. They also monitor an extensive portfolio of trade marks in a very cost-effective way.’
‘Excellent client care, great technical ability and fun to work with.’
‘Hans-Anders Odh is a superb lawyer with elite legal skills.’
‘Expertise combined with personality and genuine consideration for their client’s best interests.’
Jaguar Land Rover Ltd
Volvo Car Corporation
Bosch Siemens Hausgeräte
Alfa Laval Corporate AB
Aktiebolaget Trav & Galopp (ATG)
- Representing Volvo Car Corporation in a trade mark infringement case involving the issue of well-known status of a trade mark and the scope of protection initiated with the Swedish Patent and Market Court against a Finnish wheel rim manufacturer.
- Representing Jaguar Land Rover in a copyright infringement case regarding the shape of a car against a replica manufacturer.
The IP team at Mannheimer Swartling is ‘very knowledgeable within the profession’ and has a focus on non-contentious IP matters, particularly those stemming from corporate deals; it also has the capacity to handle contentious matters, including litigation, and is active in the life sciences, technology, media and manufacturing industries. Oscar Björkman Possne heads up the practice and is experienced in patent, copyright, trade mark and marketing litigation, while Niklas Sjöblom acts for blue-chip clients on licensing issues and M&A-related IP matters.
Oscar Björkman Possne
Other key lawyers:
‘The advice is always pragmatic and solution oriented. Very knowledgeable within their profession.’
‘They have high availability, deliver on time with high quality. Never below expectation.’
‘Both the partner and associate involved with the case were very supportive and reachable when things got urgent.’
‘Very knowledgeable in patent litigation matters, creative. Have not put a foot wrong in the years that I have worked with them on a number of parallel actions. Highly recommended for the Swedish market.’
‘Oscar Björkman Possne is excellent. It’s a pleasure working with him and his team. He fully understands all the intricacies of European patent litigation.’
‘The team is excellent and you can rely on the fact that you get appropriate resourcing. They are very efficient.’
‘I very much like working with Niklas Sjöblom and Oscar Björkman Possne. They are both very reliable and experienced lawyers with a clear mind and a clear focus on what is important for the client.’
Västra Götalandsregionen (Region of Western Sweden)
Volvo Cars Corporation
City of Stockholm
Roschier fields ‘a very strong IP practice which can handle all types of matters from IT and privacy to more traditional IP matters’. The practice has recently been active in a number of patent and trade secret cases, particularly in the life sciences, automotive and telecoms sectors, and also has a strong non-contentious practice, which handles portfolio management issues for large international brands. Practice head Erik Ficks handles transactions and disputes, and is strong in copyright and trade mark issues. Björn Johansson Heigis has a focus on data protection and digitalisation work as it pertains to IP.
Other key lawyers:
Björn Johansson Heigis; Susanne Mellqvist; Rebecca Huselius
‘Very strong IP practice which can handle all types of matters from IT and privacy to more traditional IP matters. Always provides very transparent billing and ensures that the client feels that they got value for money.’
‘Erik Ficks is very knowledgeable about IP and trade secret matters and he is always able to find a way. Excellent in negotiations and strong in litigation.’
‘Björn Johansson Heigis handles IT and data privacy matters with ease and provides hands-on advice which are appreciated as an in-house lawyer.’
‘Working close with their clients. Provides solid and usable advice with a business minded approach.’
‘Björn Johansson Heigis – very nice to work with. Understands client needs.’
‘Erik Ficks – excellent lawyer with a very good understanding of the market and challenges.’
‘In my experience, the Roschier team has, above all, excelled in the interaction with me as a patent attorney in the understanding and appreciation of the technology side that is almost always an aspect in patent related litigation and transactions. Working together has also always been pleasant.’
‘Erik Ficks has great technical understanding and a quick mind.’
Bonnierförlagen (Bonnier Books)
The Astrid Lindgren Company
- Handling all IP-related legal issues (in particular copyright, trade marks and other IP-related media issues) for publishing house, Bonnierförlagen (part of the Bonnier Group).
- Represented Stunlock Studios, a leading independent Swedish game developer, in connection with Tencent’s majority stake investment in the company.
- Representing innovate construction equipment company Rototilt in a patent infringement claim exceeding SEK120m in damages against competitor Engcon.
Boutique media and entertainment IP firm Ström Advokatbyrå acts for top Swedish music stars on a wide range of IP matters, including distribution rights, copyright issues and the protection and exploitation of other soft IP assets. Managing partner Jerker Edström is seeing an uptick in work with a US focus and handles music rights issues and transactions; Staffan Boström is recommended for corporate and commercial matters; Emil Ödling handles trade mark and copyright law; and Emilia Hempel is a key name for dispute resolution mandates.
Jerker Edström; Staffan Boström; Emilia Hempel; Emil Ödling
Other key lawyers:
Markus Boström; Sara Preston
‘Deep knowledge in the media industry.’
‘Emil Ödling is probably the best media lawyer in Sweden. Deep knowledge of the legal framework as well as the business. Always open for discussion and looking for the best way to move forward.’
‘Jerker Edström is very pleasant to work with and has an exceptional understanding of the entertainment and music industry. Highly recommended!’
MXM Music (Max Martin)
Live Nation Nordic
Swedish House Mafia
TEN Music Group
Dramacorp Pampas Studios
Warner Bros. International Television Production Sverige
Avicii Music AB and Tim Bergling Foundation
FLX Feature AB
Memfis Film AB
- Advising Martin Sandberg, professionally known as Max Martin, on all legal matters relating to his music production and songwriting activities, including all agreements related to the artist.
- Advising Swedish House Mafia on all negotiations and the sale of their early master catalogue.
- Advising the Swedish production companies in the Banijay Nordic Group, Yellow Bird, Filmlance, Nordisk Film TV Sweden, Mastiff Sweden and Jarowskij on an ongoing basis in relation to the group’s film and television production business.
Baker McKenzie stands out for its tech-related advice, including handling IP-related telecoms and data privacy matters and advising clients on contentious and non-contentious issues. On the non-contentious side, it is well versed in transactions and licensing deals and acts for a range of large international blue-chip clients. Peder Oxhammar heads up the team and often handles cross-border patent and trade mark litigation, with a focus on the life sciences sector. Associate Alexandra Glad is recommended for trade mark and copyright issues.
Other key lawyers:
Raoul Wallenberg Academy
Specsavers Optical Group
Galderma (Nestle Skin Health)
Storytel Sweden AB
- Representing Pixizoo in front of the Patent and Market appeal court in a case regarding unfair marketing.
- Representing iGaming operator Genesis global with various legal matters, including litigation under the Swedish Gambling Act.
- Acting for C-Rad in a series of patent and trade secret cases in Sweden.
The IP team at Advokatfirman Cederquist KB is jointly led by Malin Allard, Johanna Linder and Henrik Lindstrand, and is active in the media, technology, telecoms and consumer products sectors. It is particularly active in the digital space and has recently been handling matters relating to digital advertising, AI and IT issues. Allard is a key name for commercial matters and patent licensing work, while Linder handles licensing matters and Lindstrand deals with e-commerce issues.
Johanna Linder; Malin Allard; Henrik Lindstrand
‘Provides very valuable hands-on advice in all respects.’
‘What stands out with Cederquist is the sense of deep commitment to yourself as a client you get when working with them.’
‘It is apparent that they truly care about, and take interest in, your business. Malin Allard and Johanna Linder make a great team. IP and IT knowledge combined, and at its best.’
‘Malin Allard has unique expert knowledge within the fields of media and IP law. Her experience from having practised in-house as well as in private practice shines through in everything she does, making her advice not only legally spot on but also 100% usable from day one for the business. She is both a doer and a thinker. Plus pleasant to work with.’
‘Good understanding of what is perceived as value add.’
‘Strong business understanding delivering pragmatic and business-oriented advice.’
‘Strong team with competence across the board/all relevant sectors.’
‘Malin Allard is very good, easy going with a pragmatic approach and sound business mind.’
TV4 Media AB
Konstnärernas Riksorganisation (KRO)
Haypp Group AB
Kiselkarbid i Stockholm AB (KISAB)
Föreningen Svensk Elitfotboll
- Acted for Arla Foods in a high-profile trade mark infringement and invalidity matter before the Patent and Marketing Court concerning Glada Bonden Mejeri’s use of the trade mark ÄKTA BOXHOLMS for the marketing of cheese.
- Advised Acast AB on various issues relating to its podcast platform and global expansion.
- Advised Telenor Connexion on various research and development collaboration projects.
IP law boutique Gozzo Advokater advises clients on media and entertainment, and advertising matters, as well as commercial issues relating to IP rights. In addition to its strategic and non-contentious advice, the firm handles litigation and enforcement matters relating to patents, trade marks, copyright, design rights and trade secrets. The team is led by Ann-Charlotte Söderlund Björk, Håkan Sjöström and Ragnar Lundgren, with Björk acting for domestic and international clients, and specialising in anti-counterfeit work. Catharina Bratt is a key name for contractual and regulatory matters, and IP litigation.
Ann-Charlotte Söderlund Björk; Håkan Sjöström; Ragnar Lundgren
Other key lawyers:
- Acting for Nudie Jeans Co in ongoing advice in IP matters, including IP strategy.
- Acting for ESGANO Shuhe in trade mark infringement issues including questions on the transfer of trade marks in agreements.
- Acting for LanLap AB in patent infringement and invalidation of patent claims including questions on request of information etc.
The ‘responsive and knowledgeable’ Advokatfirman Lindahl KB is ‘very user friendly’ and handles IP portfolio management issues and disputes for high-profile domestic and international clients in the fashion, furniture, home appliances, fintech and pharmaceuticals sectors. Johan Norderyd heads up the team and is experienced in litigation pertaining to trade marks, patents, designs and copyright. Senior associate Christian Sundén is a key name for IP agreements and transaction-related work.
‘Very experienced with good business acumen.’
‘Lindahl is a truly Swedish law firm, has a great local (but then very much international) network with correspondingly outstanding market knowledge.’
‘The cooperation with their Malmö office, which has existed for twenty years, is excellent, with the exceptionally fast and extremely expert handling of cases, the outstanding responsiveness as well as the profound knowledge of the entire IP team.’
‘Senior Partner Johan Norderyd is one of the top IP lawyers in Sweden. His thoughtful, attentive and yet very responsive manner is highly appreciated by clients. This is complemented by his immense experience and an incredibly strong sense of pragmatic, goal-oriented solutions. We highly value this cooperation.’
‘The team at Lindahl is excellent. High level legal analysis, very reactive and the ultimate professionals.’
‘Johan Norderyd – Johan is an all around excellent IP professional. He provides sophisticated legal analysis but is also business oriented and very client driven.’
‘The team is excellent – responsive and knowledgeable. Very user friendly.’
Axis Communications AB
ISR Immune System Regulation AB
Embracer Group AB
Stockeld Dreamery AB
- Continuing to assist long-standing client Axis Communications AB and its subsidiaries with continued portfolio management, trade mark prosecutions and oppositions as well as strategic advice on IP matters.
- Advised Embracer Group AB on the acquisition of Tuxedo Labs.
- Representing Philips AB, the Swedish subsidiary to the Philips company group, in ongoing litigation against Proctor and Gamble related to Philip’s marketing of its OneBlade hybrid shaving tool.
Advokatfirman Malmstedt Law AB
In April 2022, Mattias Malmstedt formed Advokatfirman Malmstedt Law AB after departing from Advokatbyrån Gulliksson. The firm is an IP specialist boutique and Malmstedt has excellent experience in litigation, continuing to advise many of his long-standing clients. Key areas of expertise include patent, design, copyright, trade mark, trade secrets and marketing law. The firm has recently been advising on a number of high-profile patent disputes in the pharmaceuticals industry, acting for large international blue-chip clients.
‘Always very innovative in his argumentation and finds simple solutions for complex problems.’
‘I have worked together with Mattias Malmstedt on numerous cases over the past 10 years. In my opinion, Mattias is one of the most skilled patent litigators in Sweden.’
‘You would never want to have him on the opponent side! I enjoy working with Mattias Malmstedt as he knows all tools in the legal tool box.’
AB Tetra Pak (Tetra Laval Holding)
Tetra Laval Holding
Lammhult Design Group AB
Clever Group AB
OP Gruppen AB
- Representing defendant Tetra Pak (Tetra Laval Holding) before EUIPO in an invalidity case concerning Tetra Prisma 3D trade mark.
- Advised on several contract negotiations for Iconovo including a contract regarding the development of a Covid-19 vaccine for nasal inhalation.
Advokatfirman Schjødt‘s IP practice was established in May 2022 with the arrival of Christopher Tehrani and Sanna Wolk from Cirio Advokatbyrå AB. On the contentious side, the group acts for clients in patent litigation, with a focus on the pharmaceuticals sector, and often acts as local counsel for large global firms. On the non-contentious side, the practice handles trade marks, copyrights and cross-border licensing arrangements.
Christopher Tehrani; Sanna Wolk
‘I have employed Sanna Wolk and her team in several IP matters. She always delivers brilliant solutions and is very strategic with our business in mind.’
‘An important part of Sanna Wolk’s legal work is the sustainability strategies that she combines with IP strategies – a strength for our business and I haven’t seen with other firms in the Swedish market that have these capabilities.’
‘Christopher Tehrani is one of the most brilliant IP litigators in the Swedish market and very easy to work with.’
‘Sanna Wolk is one of the leading figures within IP and market law as well trade secrets.’
‘Sanna Wolk always delivers high quality IP advice and solutions for our fast growing business.’
‘Sanna Wolk’s brilliant strategic mind in combination with her great IP knowledge is a must have for expanding businesses.’
‘The team I have worked with is quick to respond and down to earth. They are likeable and easy to communicate with.’
‘They form a highly skilled IP team. Given their high level of expertise and senior level advice they have become essential strategic partners for our business and in light of their move to Schjødt it was thus a no-brainer issue for us to move all our work with them.’
Mental Health in Mind International
Engineering For Development Operations
- Representing ICA Gruppen in ongoing litigation before the administrative court in a high-value matter.
- Assisting Binogi, a technology and digital learning provider operating in Sweden, Germany, Canada and Tanzania, with all matters related to IP, including strategy and enforcement.
- Representing one of the Swedish Royal Family’s foundation in IP and marketing matters, including strategy and contracts.
Synch Advokat AB
Synch Advokat AB fields a full-service IP practice, which advises on copyright, trade marks, patents, designs, domain names, unfair competition issues, and trade secrets. Led by Mathilda Nordmark and Sara Sparring, the practice handles both contentious and non-contentious work; Nordmark is a key name for patent matters in the fintech, retail and life sciences sectors, and Sparring is active in the IT, technology and media spaces.
Mathilda Nordmark; Sara Sparring
Other key lawyers:
‘Very simple to work with – fast and skilled.’
‘The team stands out for the personal way it meets our needs.’
‘Exceptionally skilled and service-mined people. Very easy and smooth collaboration, and super-fast learners when it comes to complex technical matters. We would choose Synch any day of the week.’
Motion Picture Association of America
Hi3G Access AB
KRKA, d. d., Novo mesto
Apotek Produktion och Laboratorier AB
Immedica Pharma AB
Magine Pro AB
Sterisafe Holding ApS
- Representing KRKA, d. d., Novo mesto in an invalidity action against Merck Sharp & Dohme’s supplementary protection certificate.
- Representing Sweden’s fourth largest mobile operator Hi3G Access AB in contentious marketing law matters against Tele2 Sverige AB and Telia Sverige AB in the Swedish Patent and Market Court, regarding Tele2’s and Telia’s unfair marketing.
- Assisting SecMaker AB with commercial agreements, overall IP strategy, clearance and trade mark registrations, as well as opposition proceedings.
Zacco is an IP specialist firm with a long history in Sweden, advising clients on the protection and enforcement of IP rights, licensing issues and disputes. The practice also handles counterfeiting issues and acts for a variety of well-known international brands. The team is led by Claes Agnvall and Maria Beijer, with Beijer experienced in IP strategy, including those involving trade marks, designs and copyrights.
Claes Agnvall; Maria Beijer
Other key lawyers:
Malin Thunberg McCann; Marcus Eilenberg; Hampus Adlerton; Adam Brandt; Martin Tranälv
‘The mix of understanding a complex business model and the value of protection of a complex background and foreground technology together with an extensive legal understanding.’
‘At Zacco, we mainly work with Partner Adam Brandt who has an unique understanding of our complex operations and uses his brilliant mind covering all aspects of legal support in connection with our IP strategy.’
Ellos Group AB
BICO Group AB/Cellink Bioprinting AB
Exani Sports AB
- Advising Ellos Group on a range of infringement claims and litigation procedures, as well as its global IP and prosecution strategy.
- Assisting BICO Group with the development and implementation of its IP Strategy, including prosecution, purchasing or licensing agreements, and the IP due diligence and contract review for most of its acquisitions.
- Successfully defended Ambiductor against two preliminary injunctions, leading to eventual negotiations and an amicable settlement between all parties.
Advokatfirma DLA Piper Sweden KB’s IP team acts for high-profile domestic and international clients on both contentious and non-contentious IP matters. Key areas of focus include copyright, trade marks, design rights, patents and trade secrets. Anna Jussil Broms heads up the team and has niche expertise in assisting advertising agencies in the retail sector. In team news, Gustav Lundin joined from Mannheimer Swartling and Jennie Nilsson joined from Baker McKenzie.
Anna Jussil Broms
Other key lawyers:
Gustav Lundin; Jennie Nilsson; Dane Stattin; Jonas Holm
‘The team has great capabilities to handle a range of questions within intellectual property, we have mainly asked for trade mark and design advice. They have connections in all countries and can quickly adhere to a changed plan (where we want a new piece of legal advice in several countries).’
‘Anna Jussil Broms has great experience and legal knowledge, you can always trust that you will get high-quality legal advice when contacting her.’
‘It was very clear how our lawyers from DLA Piper were so much more knowledgeable and professional compared to our counterpart’s legal help and I believe this aspect is what helped us win the case. We are very happy we ended up getting help from DLA Piper.’
‘Dane Stattin and Jonas Holm have been absolutely fantastic. They have made me feel secure and well-informed at every turn. I’ve had many questions and they have always shown patience and understanding for my ignorance and have been able to explain things so I can understand and feel part of the process. I applaud their people skills and see that aspect as a wonderful bonus to their legal expertise.’
‘Value their strong international presence, making it easy to handle matters in several markets.’
‘Competent, fast to reply.’
‘Great customer service, good advice with clear views of consequences, pros and cons, agile and fast.’
‘Very customer focused and attentive to our needs, good expertise and putting forward solutions in a clear manner.’
Swedish Ski Association (Svenska Skidförbundet)
BOB Film Sweden
MTG Modern Studios
Nice Entertainment Sweden and This is Nice
Stella Nova Filmproduktion
Fair Play Bets
Baffin Bay Networks
Royal Library -The National Library of Sweden
- Acting as ongoing adviser to Svenska Skidförbundet/Ski Team Sweden, assisting with various matters including in connection with a hosting agreement and drafting and negotiating the principal sponsorship agreement for the coming five seasons.
- Acting as ongoing adviser of first choice for Voi Technology in relation to marketing and copyright issues as well as licensing agreements and user terms-related matters.
- Advised Mopar Studios on all aspects of the development of critically-acclaimed streaming television series, Red Election, Rig45 as well as the upcoming television series, North Sea Connection.
Eversheds Sutherland’s IP offering is led by Richard Jacobsson and acts for domestic and international clients on licensing agreements and general IP matters. Associate Mathilda Andersson is a key name for M&A-related IP matters and the negotiation of licensing agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Umida Group AB
Iver Sverige AB
Glowing Pine B.V.
Arctic Blue Beverages
GLHF Group AB
- Providing ongoing advice to Iver Sverige AB on IP-related matters, as well as in general in connection with specific customer agreements.
- Advised Umida Group AB in connection with entering several important licensing agreements.
- Providing advice on complex licensing agreements to GLHF Group, covering aspects of written as well as filmed material licensed to international publications on-line, with territorial aspects as well as questions regarding exclusivity and non-exclusivity.
Hannes Snellman ‘handles a wide range of matters from traditional problems to very current and new aspects of the law’. The group is particularly strong in handling the IP aspects of large M&A deals for high-profile domestic and global clients. Elisabeth Vestin heads up the practice and is recommended for general IP matters, and technology and data issues.
Other key lawyers:
Caroline Sundberg; Anna Ribenfors
‘Service minded and personable.’
‘The Hannes Snellman IP (& Tech) team can handle a wide range of matters from traditional problems to very current and new aspects of the law.’
‘In particular, I like their expertise in retail and e-commerce/digitalisation matters.’
‘As a client or colleague you can rest assured that you get the right associate resourcing and that the matter will be handled by the right person. It also seems that the associates are very well supervised and led by their partners.’
‘As IP & Tech team, Elisabeth Vestin, Caroline Sundberg and Anna Ribenfors are hard to beat. Their quality is outstanding – not just as lawyers but also as teams leaders. They work very hard but also take good care of their team.’
‘Elisabeth Vestin’s skill to communicate with clients and colleagues is truly amazing.’
‘Hannes Snellman has a very impressive all-round team that assists an impressive portfolio of Media clients with complex issues including IP and commercial.’
‘Elisabeth Vestin is very thoughtful, skilled and attentive.’
Gores Guggenheim, Inc.
Bernadotte & Kylberg AB
Indiska Magasinet AB
EasyMining (part of the Ragn-Sells Group)
The Vitamin Well Group
The Kindred Group
The Fazer Group
- Acted as counsel to Gores Guggenheim, Inc., a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) formed by the affiliates of the Gores Group and Guggenheim Capital, LLC, on its business combination with the global electric performance car company Polestar at an enterprise value of $20bn.
- Acted as counsel to Oriola Corporation on the formation of a joint venture with Euroapotheca combining the Swedish retail pharmacy chains Kronans Apotek and Apoteksgruppen.
- Successfully represented Kindred/Spooniker in an appeal before the Administrative Court regarding the Swedish Gambling Authority’s decision to impose a record fine of €10m for alleged violation of the Gambling Act, which was subsequently lowered.
Magnusson Sweden advises domestic and international clients on general IP matters and disputes, and often acts as local counsel for large global law firms in litigation and arbitration matters. Practice head Helena Rönqvist is recommended for IP ownership and enforcement issues.
Spotlight Stock Market
Söderberg & Partners
- Advising Nordiska Galleriet in connection with the establishment of the new B2B concept and business segment YLLW.
- Regularly assisting Spotlight Stock Market, a Swedish multilateral trading facility, with legal reviews and other matters in connection with listings of shares on Spotlight Stock Market’s trading facility, including advice in relation to patents and other intellectual property rights.
- Advised VC tech fund Lakestar on the $15m seed investment round in Validio.
MAQS Advokatbyrå has recently undergone notable team changes with Sara Malmström joining from Kanter Advokatbyrå KB, former practice head David Berggren leaving for for Öresund Advokat AB and Wendela Hårdemark departing for Westerberg & Partners. Malmström now heads up the department alongside Christina Berggren and the team focuses on IP portfolio management and enforcement issues, as well as IP litigation, particularly relating to trade mark infringements.
Christina Berggren; Sara Malmström
Other key lawyers:
‘MAQS is very proactive and timely.’
‘They are excellent in their way of communicating and give clear guidance on every topic.’
‘Great responsiveness, clear advice and on point. Communicate very effectively.’
‘Christina Berggren has been our go-to person for a long time. We appreciate our relationship and Christina’s skill set is great for us – long experience in the field and well informed of our business.’
‘MAQS is a high-quality law firm very good at collaborating and keeping close contact with their clients. They are happy to share their expertise and knowledge and do so on a regular basis.’
‘Christina Berggren is always responsive and makes sure we get the correct support. I have collaborated with Daniel Thorbjörnsson and he is always also quick to respond and make sure to take speedy action to support our cases.’
‘I find the level of performance very consistent and always professional. Very good and up to date competence, as could be expected. Very well thought through solutions, and well-presented and explained.’
‘We work primarily with Daniel Thorbjörnsson, and I find him service minded, and trustworthy and balanced.’
Volvo Trademark Holding AB
The Coca-Cola Company
Essity Hygiene and Health AB
Stampen Lokala Medier AB
ASKO Appliances AB
Cyan TM AB
Salming Trademarks AB
Electro Elco AB
PPY Production AB
MbedIT Solutions AB
National Electric Vehicle Sweden (NEVS)
Hagmans Nordic AB
Reitan Convenience Sverige AB
Mäklarhuset Real Estate Sweden AB
- Advised Lindex on its acquisition of a majority stake in the start-up company Spacerpad, as part of the Lindex entry in the FemTech market.
- Assisting Reitan Convenience Sverige AB with matters related to IP law and, in particular, trade mark and marketing law.
- Assisting CYAN TM AB with its trade mark, design, and copyright strategy and with protecting its trade marks in all its markets, including in relation to Cyan’s customers and partners such as OEMs.
Next Advokater acts for large international blue-chip clients on cross-border IP litigation and also advises on copyright, trade marks, marketing issues and trade secrets. Magnus Tonell and Tom Kronhöffer jointly lead the team, with Tonell strong in commercial contracts and dispute resolution, and Kronhöffer a key name for marketing and IT matters.
Magnus Tonell; Tom Kronhöffer
NORDIA Law stands out in the market for its unique expertise in sports law. The group acts for top international sporting associations and corporations on the full range of IP matters, including patent filing, trade marks and contentious work, such as patent prosecutions, infringements and other IP litigation. Karl Ole Möller, Fredrik Persson and Mårten Stenström co-head the team.
Fredrik Persson; Karl Ole Möller; Mårten Stenström
‘Nordia Law stands out for quick service, extremely knowledgeable lawyers and their faith in helping with any matters.’
‘Mårten Stenström has a positive attitude, sharpness in business and invaluable advice.’
Play’n GO Marks Limited
Play’n GO Malta Limited
Newport Collection AB
IMG UK Ltd – London
ENDEAVOR – Beverly Hills
IMG Media Ltd – London
IMG (Sweden) AB
CAA Creative Artist Agency – Beverly Hills
UEFA Legal Division
IMMAF International Mixed Martial Arts Federation
ROGON Sports Management GmbH & Co. KG
PGA European Tour
Everysport Media Group AB
Hedman Sports Management AB
- Representing Play’n GO Malta Ltd in relation to alleged trade mark and unfair competition claims in several countries.
- Representing Newport Collection AB, a Swedish and international reseller and distributor of high-profile furniture and home-decoration.
- Representing Everysport Media Group AB, a Swedish listed media group deeply rooted in sports and games, in connection with its negotiations with the International Padel Federation and Qatar Sports Investment to host the Official World Padel Tour in Stockholm, Sweden.
The media and IP team at TIME DANOWSKY Advokatbyrå AB acts for newspapers, broadcasting companies and digital entertainment businesses on a broad range of matters, including licensing, portfolio management and copyright issues, trade marks and regulatory matters. On the contentious side, the group represents clients in litigation and libel cases. Ulf Isaksson heads up the practice and advise clients on marketing and media issues, and eminent practitioner Peter Danowsky is experienced in international arbitration proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Danowsky; Fredrik Ståhl; Esa Kymäläinen
‘This firm is very dedicated and professional in every detail.’
‘We appreciate that we can bring any problem to them at any time, and they will always solve it, no matter how big or small. We can always depend on them to be very thorough.’
‘Ulf Isaksson is by far the most experienced lawyer in this area, and always up to date. We appreciate his enormous dedication and deep knowledge, from the day-to-day advice to the trials in court. He knows every corner of our business by heart.’
‘Very in to the market, always working to be in the lead on changes in the industry.’
‘Fredrik Ståhl often has the ability to know/anticipate which improvements we can make, before we contact them. Very engaged.’
Pophouse Entertainment Group
Happy Green AB
Expressen Lifestyle AB
Dagens Industri AB
AB Dagens Nyheter
Sveriges Television AB
- Representing TV4, the largest commercial television channel in Sweden, in the Supreme Court in a case concerning the applicability of IP/marketing legislation in case they contradict freedom of the press regulations.
- Advised Pophouse Entertainment on intellectual property and music contract issues in relation to its acquisition of Swedish House Mafia’s back catalogue.
- Represented leading business daily newspaper Dagens Industri in a libel case, following publicity concerning a Swedish celebrity and businessman’s former position as CEO for a company which had been linked to the Falcon Funds pension scheme.
Praised as ‘competent, ambitious and very personal in its relationships’, Wistrand’s IP team advises clients on both contentious and non-contentious IP matters, including corporate, marketing and transactional issues, licensing work and IP litigation. The team is led by Christel Rockström and Erik Ullberg, with Rockström a key name for media and data privacy matters, and Ullberg recommended for portfolio management issues.
Christel Rockström; Erik Ullberg
‘Wistrand’s law firm is competent, ambitious and very personal in its relationships. Responsive and easy to cooperate with in all types of issues based on our experience.’
‘Wistrand are responsive and personal in their way of being. But still always very professional when it comes to the assignment.’
‘Great team; smart, responsive, terrific to work with!’
‘Hands-on, pragmatic and a full-service offering providing broad competence with edge where needed. The lawyers’ that I have worked with showcase a combination of technical expertise, business pragmatism and interpersonal skills.’
‘Down-to-earth and nice to work with on smaller but also large cap deals.’
Schibsted Media Group
Nordic Choice Hotels
The Swedish Hockey League (SHL)
- Represented Input interiör in copyright litigation concerning alleged infringement of the plaintiff’s copyright to an armchair (fine art) before the Patent and Market Court of Appeal.
- Continually advised Einride AB from the early start-up phase to its current status as a major actor on a wide range of matters including general IP work as well as agreements with suppliers of software and hardware within autonomous driving technology and remote control (including 5G).
- Advising Nordic Choice Hotel on IP-related issues in relation to joint ventures and the launch of new hotels and restaurants.