Intellectual property and media in Sweden
Bird & Bird is a premier name in the fields of media and entertainment, gambling, sports and publishing, owing to the reputation of practice co-head Monique Wadsted. Common instructions pertain to licensing and distribution work, rights protection matters, financings and cutting-edge issues relating to user-generated content exploitation. Market-leading publishers, studios and media groups are standard clients. Co-head Gabriel Lidman has a pan-Nordic IP practice covering all forms of IP litigation, ranging from trade secrets claims and copyright infringements to patent litigation in the technology sector. Commercial and transactional IP work is also regularly handled by the group.
Gabriel Lidman; Monique Wadsted
Monster Beverage Corporation
Elsevier B.V., Elsevier Ltd. and Elsevier Inc.
3GIS Infrastructure Services AB
Lalalaland Consulting AB (previously Odyssey Insight AB)
- Represented Accumulate AB in trade secrets/copyright litigation against Finansiell ID-Teknik BID AB before the Patent and Marketing Court.
- Acting for US beverage giant Monster Beverage Corporation on a number of trade mark matters in relation to its global ‘Monster Energy’ brand.
- Acted for the Elsevier group, the largest publisher within science, technology and medicine in the world, in filing for a blocking order against seven of the major internet service providers in Sweden including Telia, Telenor and Tele2.
As co-head of Advokatfirman Delphi’s TMT and IP practice, Henrik Bengtsson provides expertise in issues pertaining to trade secrets, advertising law and internet rights protection; recent instructions encompassed non-contentious work as well as litigation and arbitration proceedings. Fellow co-head Peter Skoglund focuses on strategic IP issues with a global context for brands in the fashion, sports, media, entertainment and food and drink sectors. Agnes Hammarstrand adds to the team’s marketing law knowledge. Niche fields of expertise include freedom of speech and libel work, free movement of goods issues and search and seize/border control measures.
Henrik Bengtsson; Peter Skoglund
Other key lawyers:
Agnes Hammarstrand; Rebecka Harding; Richard Lenemark
‘I’ve worked closely with Henrik Bengtsson and Rebecka Harding over the years and they are both exceptional in that they provide tailored advice and always consider our special needs and the industry we operate in. Both Henrik and Rebecka are very responsive and dare to give us uncomfortable advice.’
‘The team has very good knowledge of trade mark and related laws and can easily handle any type of trade mark dispute.’
‘Richard Lenemark and Henrik Bengtsson are very good at developing the case with minimal help or instructions.’
Cipla Europe NV
Procter & Gamble
STS Student Travel School (“STS”)
PS Auction AB
Nordnet Bank AB
- Represented Cipla Europe NV in a case regarding the alleged infringement of a purple-coloured asthma inhaler which allegedly has acquired distinctiveness.
- Representing Procter & Gamble in an advertising and trade mark dispute regarding recycling systems.
- Assisted PS Auction with online marketing law advice and its review of marketing information at new online sites, being the key sales channel for PS Auction.
Advokatbyrån Gulliksson has a highly active contentious IP practice, which sees key partners Mattias Malmstedt, Magnus Dahlman, practice head Jens Olsson and associates Therese Grennard and Emil Ekdahl Norling handling patent, trade mark and copyright infringement and revocation arbitration and litigation proceedings. Recent instructions came from clients in the pharmaceuticals and food and drink sectors. Commercial IP and R&D matters in the life sciences and oil and gas sectors are handled by Hans-Anders Odh, while Per Ericsson regularly deals with patent licensing issues. The practice works with an associated patent firm to provide a patent filing service.
Other key lawyers:
Mattias Malmstedt; Magnus Dahlman; Therese Grennard; Emil Ekdahl Norling; Hans-Anders Odh; Per Ericsson; Erik Esaiasson
‘This practice has a deep knowledge of EU trade mark law and litigation, and is properly equipped to successfully deal in pan-EU trade mark litigation.’
‘Mattias Malmstedt has excellent talent, both in substance and procedure. This, combined with an outgoing and warm personality, make it a pleasure to work with him.’
‘Mattias Malmstedt is very easy to work with and has the ability to explain complicated legal matters in terms that I understand and can base my decisions on.’
‘Gulliksson is extremely reliable in their delivery and quality, especially in the field of intellectual property. Their unique collaboration with the patent firm Ström & Gulliksson creates an edge on the Swedish market that no other firm can compete with in patent litigation.’
‘Magnus Dahlman and Mattias Malmstedt are simply top-tier litigators, with a solid understanding of their clients businesses. The team is very competent and business minded. Straightforward advice is combined with an academic touch.’
‘Senior associate Erik Esaiasson is a pleasure to work with and is particularly strong in matters with an EU nexus.’
‘In my view, the firm has lawyers with a much better understanding of patents and patent law than other law firms in Sweden. This makes patent litigation, when cooperating with my firm, a very enjoyable experience.’
‘Jens Olsson always provides sharp, strategic and tactically sound advice to our mutual clients.’
Aktiebolaget Trav & Galopp (ATG)
Bosch GmbH/Siemens AG
Eisai R & D Management
- Acted for East Import AB in whisky glass 3D trade mark invalidity and revocation actions as well as national infringement actions before the Swedish and EU courts.
- Representing Bosch Siemens Hausgeräte in litigation against AB Electrolux. The case concerns an infringement of the client’s vacuum cleaner patent, primarily by the act of offering the infringing objects in and from Sweden, which has direct effect for injuries suffered in ten European jurisdictions.
- Represented Svenska Ostklassiker AB in a high-stakes trade mark arbitration concerning the three most famous Swedish brands for Swedish cheese.
Sandart&Partners Advokatbyrå KB has a highly praised IP litigation practice, which covers patents, trade secrets and copyright disputes, primarily in the medical device, pharmaceuticals, software and mechanical fields. Key partners include Julia Ericsson, Dag Sandart, Peter Sande, Karin Westerberg and Anders Kylhammar. Karin Cederlund has an active marketing law practice, advising on regulatory matters particularly for alcohol, tobacco and nutrition brands. She also advises rights holding societies on the breadth of media law matters. Anti-counterfeiting procedures under the digital services act are also handled by the group, which is dedicated to maintaining gender diversity at partner level.
Julia Ericsson; Dag Sandart; Peter Sande; Anders Kylhammar; Karin Cederlund; Karin Westerberg
‘Provides speed, commitment, flexibility, competence.’
‘Clear communication. Clear message. Clearly communicated who is doing what and when.’
‘Very thorough and proactive way of looking for argumentation in its clients favour. Pragmatic way of presenting this argumentation. Strategic, not only legal, input for the case has been excellent!’
‘Anders Kylhammar and Julia Ericsson have been very proactive, professional yet pragmatic, keeping the input vs. fee ratio on a reasonable level.’
‘Apart from being professional, easy going and excellent to cooperate with, all my contact with Sandart has been characterised by a team taking the extra steps in every detail. I have nothing but praise for them.’
‘Peter Sande is simply brilliant in all aspects, being an adviser, legal strategist and a patent litigator of the highest possible tier. Karin Westerberg is also extremely knowledgeable in the same area, thorough, client oriented and with constant quality output. We have relied on both of the aforementioned partners in matters of high importance and they have lived up to our expectations.’
The IP team at Setterwalls is highly praised for its patent expertise, indicated by co-head Martin Levinsohn’s involvement in headline revocation and infringement litigation in the pharmaceuticals sector, and co-head Fredrik Roos’ handling of patent licensing negotiations for global technology and oil and gas companies. Fellow co-heads Sophia Spala and Per Lidman lead on trade mark prosecutions and litigation, and issues pertaining to unfair competition, marking and copyright law. The broad client roster includes brands in the tobacco and alcohol, FMCG, entertainment and technology industries.
Martin Levinsohn; Per Lidman; Sophia Spala; Fredrik Roos
‘Everyone we work with is highly professional and has pragmatic solutions for the legal challenges we have presented our team with.’
‘Per Lidman who is the lead IP lawyer we use is very knowledgeable, has pragmatic suggestions to solutions to save time, is very likeable and our dialogue is always exceptionally pleasant.’
‘A highly skilled team of IP lawyers.’
‘Sophia Spala is a solid, thorough lawyer being capable of thinking outside box.’
‘Competent and responsive team, in my experience always provides pragmatic support suited for the specific situation at hand.’
‘Fredrik Roos continues to provide tailored pragmatic advice, in my experience always finding the right balance between time/cost/quality. I have switched jobs and industries in the past couple of years but continue to reach out to Fredrik for support. He stands out also in an international comparison.’
Coop Sverige AB
Finansiell ID-teknik BID AB
Komplett AS/Webhallen AB
Boozt Fashion AB
SWEP International (Dover)
- Represented Teva in a patent dispute against Boehringer Ingelheim. The matter has been of great importance for the manufacturing and distribution of a respiratory product of huge significance in the treatment of COPD worldwide.
- Advising FlixMobility and its Swedish subsidiary on trade mark law and unfair competition law issues and handling the group’s Swedish trade mark portfolio.
- Representing Jollyroom in several disputes regarding improper market practices against 16 of its largest competitors. These cases are particularly significant since they concern market practice issues of high complexity which have not yet been tried by Swedish courts.
Advokatfirman Vinge’s IP team is a top-tier name for the breadth of contentious and non-contentious IP matters. Practice head Håkan Borgenhäll alongside key partner Richard Wessman lead on high-profile litigation concerning patent and trade mark infringements. Numerous telecoms companies instructed the team as defence counsel on headline online infringement litigation. The trade mark prosecution team, which is led by Anette Henrysson (who also leads on marketing and anti-counterfeiting instructions), manages substantial portfolios and strategies for a diverse client roster. IP licensing and commercialisation mandates are tackled by Anna Maria Lagerqvist Gahm and Stojan Arnerstål.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Wessman; Anette Henrysson; Anna Maria Lagerqvist Gahm; Stojan Arnerstål
Swedish Match North Europe AB
Eli Lilly and Company
Alfa Laval AB
Swedish Olympic Committee
Bisca AB and Bisca A/S
Thomas Concrete Group AB
Arctic Paper SA
Hästens Sängar AB
- Representing Eli Lilly and Company in a patent infringement dispute involving Fresenius Kabi, relating to the client’s patented use of the pharmaceuticals product Alimta.
- Represented Tele2 and Com Hem as defendants in comprehensive and complex IP litigation against Elsevier in the Swedish Patent and Market Court and the Swedish Patent and Market Court of Appeal in respect to Elsevier’s demands for extensive website blocking of scientific information.
- Representing Swedish Match in a contentious matter relating to one of its most commercially successful products, with a large part of the matter relating to patent claim construction and highly technical evidence.
Westerberg & Partners
IP boutique Westerberg & Partners is a go-to firm for the entire cross-section of IP litigation. High-value patent disputes are handled by Jonas Westerberg and Ludvig Holm; practice head Henrik Wistam is a leading name for trade mark infringement litigation; and Björn Rundblom Andersson leads on trade secret arbitration and litigation proceedings as well as licensing disputes. Stefan Widmark and Bodil Ehlers handle all copyright and media instructions, and trade mark portfolios are capably managed by Helena Wassén Öström. Key sectors of focus for the team include the life sciences, technology, consumer electronics and telecoms industries.
Other key lawyers:
Jonas Westerberg; Ludvig Holm; Björn Rundblom Andersson; Stefan Widmark; Bodil Ehlers; Helena Wassén Öström; Ia Modin
‘I have received fast, relevant and very competent help with legal issues concerning contracts, rights, negotiation positions, and procedures.’
‘Ia Modin has assisted me through difficult times in my life, when fast legal advice was very important. She has engaged in my legal needs in a most professional way, and provided a background to necessary decisions, without wasting any time. She also has a good sense of humour, that has helped a lot.’
‘Probably the preferred choice in Sweden. The team at Westerberg & Partners is very responsive and proactive, and provides very valuable advice in relation to all aspects of IP law.’
‘A great mix of thorough experience and industry knowledge and understanding. Also a good mix of senior and junior staff.’
‘Ia Modin is extremely capable in the fields of research cooperation and setting the field for successful commercialisation. Of particular value is the cooperation capability, to really understand your business, its challenges and to work with you as a true colleague (not just as a supplier of legal texts).’
‘Stefan Widmark is a very experienced all-rounder with a special knowledge of copyright levy issues.’
Finansiell ID-Teknik BID
H & M Hennes & Mauritz
Karo Pharma/Trimb Healthcare
Tele 2 (Com Hem)
- Represented fintech company Finansiell ID-Teknik BID in patent and trade secrets litigation in one of Sweden’s highest valued IP disputes in history, successfully defending the client in the first instance.
- Acting for Illumina in several parallel proceedings regarding infringement and validity of patents in the DNA sequencing field.
- Managing significant parts of the global trade mark portfolio of fashion giant H&M, including the H&M brands.
Boutique firm AWA has a strong focus on patents, with Peter Kenamets and Fredrik Lüning representing clients in infringement, validity, opposition and entitlement proceedings before the Swedish and EU courts. Patent attorneys Julia Mannesson and Niklas Mattsson handle sophisticated patent prosecution work. Clients include impressive names in the biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, healthcare and manufacturing sectors. Under Ted Hagman and Kristian Martinsson, the practice also provides soft IP expertise encompassing commercialisation work, portfolio management issues, marketing mandates and litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Kenamets; Fredrik Lüning; Julia Mannesson; Niklas Mattsson; Ted Hagman; Kristian Martinsson
‘I work closely with a number of people in the IP team at AWA, as they are consistently excellent – both from a legal and technical standpoint, but also on understanding commercial issues and handling clients well. I have been particularly impressed by Kristian Martinsson.’
Bang & Olufsen
Mölnlycke Health Care
Axis Communications AB
Bang & Olufsen A/S
- Representing Ceva Animal Health in the Swedish patent litigation case forming part of European-wide infringement proceedings initiated by Bayer.
- Representing high-tech company IRnova in a case before the Swedish Patent and Market Court involving entitlement to inventions.
- Formed part of the global team defending Hexatronic AB, producer and supplier of products for fibre optic networks, in a patent infringement case.
The IP practice at Baker McKenzie has a strong focus on strategic issues including multijurisdictional licensing work, trade mark portfolio management (including prosecutions), copyright protection issues and transactional matters. Practice head Peder Oxhammar and key associate Alexandra Persson are retained by a sophisticated client roster comprising defence, life sciences, electronics, TMT and healthcare companies. On the contentious side, disputes concerning patent entitlement and trade secrets are regularly handled by the group.
Other key lawyers:
‘High level of seamlessness. Team is clear on each others’ capabilities and will transfer questions quickly and efficiently to provide best possible advice.’
‘The team at Baker McKenzie are always fast, efficient and professional. At the same time they are educational and empathetic.’
‘Alexandra Persson at the Stockholm office is a rock. Reliable and competent!’
‘Helpful, attentive and curious.’
Raoul Wallenberg Academy
Specsavers Optical Group
Galderma (former Nestle Skin Health)
Storytel Sweden AB
Mackmyra Svensk Whisky AB
KRY (Webbhälsa AB)
- Acting for C-Rad in a series of patent and trade secrets cases in Sweden. The technology concerns high-tech ray therapy devices.
- Handling the trade mark portfolio worldwide for independent Turkish games developer Taleworlds (Ikisoft). Brands include games such as Mount & Blade, Warband and Bannerlord.
- Representing TerraNet, a highly innovative and IP-driven technology company, with unique proprietary mesh network technology, in various legal areas, and particularly in the IP licensing field as well as capital markets matters.
Advokatfirman Cederquist KB’s IP, IT and media practice is headed up by Malin Allard and Johanna Linder, and has a strong focus in the media, e-commerce, telecoms and consumer goods sectors. The team fields substantial media, advertising and broadcasting law knowledge, alongside digital rights, patent licensing and collaboration expertise. Commercial agreements for film companies are regularly handled the group, which also works in close collaboration with the firm's M&A partners to handle IP-forward corporate transactions.
Malin Allard; Johanna Linder
Other key lawyers:
‘Deep knowledge and experience combined with excellence in arguing.’
‘My experience of the team is that they possess great insight into the needs of the client and how a corporate works that are sometimes missing when you engage consultants. This has ensured concrete and to-the-point advice which is what I seek rather than legal theory.’
‘Caring with insight into what is expected and prioritised by the client. Avoiding unwanted theoretical posing and focusing on value-creating advice.’
‘Malin Allard and Henrik Lindstrand have a unique network and ability to find collaboration opportunities across different companies.’
‘The team is highly professional, pragmatic, efficient and proactive with an outstanding knowledge in the industry. You are fully confident you always get the best legal advice and suggestions with a very pragmatic approach.’
‘Malin Allard has an outstanding knowledge and understanding of the industry. She rapidly grasps and sorts out the problem and efficiently delivers pragmatic solutions. As she fully understands the business challenges her advice is always based on facts and feasible solutions.’
‘We began using Cederquist services during the Covid-19 restrictions and that was flawless. Despite the digital contact only, we felt immediately confident that Cederquist is the partner we need. Besides professional excellence we’ve got personal connection to team members which we highly value.’
TV4 Media AB
Telenor Connexion AB
AB Svensk Filmindustri
Red Bee Media
Kiselkarbid i Stockholm AB
- Regularly advising TV4, Sweden’s major television broadcaster, regarding inter alia digital advertising and distribution matters, which are of fundamental importance for conducting a successful advertising-financed media business.
- Regularly advising Acast on matters closely related to Acast’s core business, i.e. the licensing of audio content and the distribution of that content through its technology platform as well as connecting advertisers and podcast listeners through the platform.
- Regularly assisting Telenor Connexion with contract negotiations, and various other legal matters related to Internet of Things and connected devices, including connected cars, smart electricity meters and similar.
Gozzo Advokater is retained by an international client base for strategic IP issues encompassing commercialisation, enforcement and global anti-counterfeiting procedures; the latter is a field of strength for co-head Ann-Charlotte Söderlund Björk. Fellow co-heads Håkan Sjöström and Ragnar Lundgren are the key litigation partners, with instructions spanning patent, trade mark and trade secret litigation. Senior associate Catharina Bratt has notable advertising law expertise which she applies to contentious and non-contentious mandates. Key clients for the practice include advertising agencies, fashion companies, and retail and media businesses.
Ann-Charlotte Söderlund Björk; Håkan Sjöström; Ragnar Lundgren
Other key lawyers:
‘They were extremely knowledgeable, and did take great care to keep the costs down, and focus on matters that really mattered in our case. They also were very good at explaining to someone that is not used to the legal dealings around patents what was happening, why it was happening, and what would be the best action we could take under these circumstances. I learned a lot from them.’
‘Very straightforward and trustworthy. Since I was present during the entire trial I did see how they very cleverly strategically outplayed our opponents.’
‘We have worked with Gozzo Advokater for many years now on different IP matters, mainly trade mark enforcement where cooperation at EU level is necessary. The complexity of our cooperation derives from the highly specialised type of work. We appreciate their clarity and overall efficiency and their vast experience in anti-counterfeiting is what makes them stand out from other firms.’
Nudie Jeans Co AB
Svensk Drama Pop AB
Global Merchandising Ltd
PlusEight Technology AB
Skofabriken Kavat AB
Benny & Jessica AB
Creare Form AB
- Represented Creare in a case regarding copyright of a car design.
- Representing the rock band GHOST in i) case regarding partnership in copyright, trade marks, records etc and ii) in a trade mark infringement case against a company using GHOST for vodka.
- Continuously advising Nudie Jeans Co AB on its IP questions at a global level.
Regular non-contentious IP instructions for Mannheimer Swartling’s IP, marketing and media practice (which is headed up by Niklas Sjöblom) include global licensing and cooperation agreements, complex R&D and investment projects, high-value M&A and strategic IP portfolio management issues. Oscar Björkman Possne leads on contentious instructions including pharmaceuticals patent litigation and internet blocking injunction actions. The team also advises on unfair marketing and trade secrets issues. The sophisticated client base includes life sciences, media, technology and manufacturing companies.
Other key lawyers:
Oscar Björkman Possne
‘Oscar Björkman Possne makes sure to deliver and is eager to help us reach the results we want.’
‘A good IP protection team.’
Västra Götalandsregionen (Region of Western Sweden)
Volvo Cars Corporation
City of Stockholm
Scandinavian Enviro Systems
- Advised Electrolux Professional AB and AB Electrolux on the separation, distribution and listing of Electrolux Professional.
- Representing LEO Pharma in pan-European patent litigation against Sandoz regarding LEO Pharma’s innovative pharmaceuticals product Daivobet. The litigation relates to opposition proceedings pending in parallel before the European Patent Office.
- Represented Telia in the first blocking injunction cases following the first ever blocking injunction judgement handed down by the Patent and Market Court of Appeal in 2017.
Under the team led by Erik Ficks, Roschier provides major media, entertainment, publishing, electronics and life sciences companies with brand protection, contentious IP and marketing law services. The team had recent success in patent litigation, including Björn Johansson Heigis’ representation of blue-chip technology companies; Heigis also advises on IP-forward joint ventures and other transactional activity. The group's trade mark and design expertise was strengthened with the recruitment of counsel Susanne Mellqvist, who, alongside trade mark attorney Rebecca Huselius, handles prosecutions and enforcement actions.
Other key lawyers:
Björn Johansson Heigis; Susanne Mellqvist; Rebecca Huselius; Johan Gerhardsson; Hanna Tilus
‘Very competent and service-minded team, excellent understanding of our business and needs. Friendly and easy to work with. Proactive and good at ensuring that matters are dealt with on the level we need (and not unnecessarily over-worked). Knowledgeable and up to date with recent legal developments, excellent agreement drafting skills.’
‘Erik Ficks is an outstanding lawyer with a broad legal knowledge base but particularly skilled in copyright matters. Very service-minded and has an excellent understanding of our business and how our IP legal issues fit into the bigger picture. I also appreciate his support as a discussion partner for strategies and various business issues and not just purely legal matters.’
‘Johan Gerhardsson – very capable and professional senior associate, excellent legal drafting skills and great to work with.’
‘Very experienced team. Benefiting from the cross-border capabilities. Excellent understanding of the market.’
‘We have enjoyed their ability to execute our agreed strategy, with a fantastic set of skills and experience. Their ability to co-operate with us efficiently and economically, has been key to our success, considering that we are a small company. Their knowledge on IP and litigation processes have helped us tremendously.’
‘Roschier works extremely efficiently with our IPR issues, focusing on solving the cases at hand. The main difference to other firms lies in the efficiency of the resolutions.’
‘Very service minded and helpful, especially in trying to see behind our stated needs to solve the questions at hand.’
‘Hanna Tilus has exceptional skills in building the case for the court, very thorough, deep understanding of both scientific and commercial aspects and outstanding communication with the client in a clear and effective way.’
Bonnierförlagen (Bonnier Books)
The Astrid Lindgren Company
- Handling all IP-related legal issues (in particular copyright, trade marks and other IP-related media issues) for Sweden’s biggest publishing house, Bonnierförlagen (part of the Bonnier Group).
- Representing Autoliv, the worldwide leader in automotive safety systems, in patent litigation against Volvo Cars.
- Successfully represented Kenza Zouiten AB, the company behind one of Sweden’s most well-known influencers, in a landmark case against the Swedish Consumer Ombudsman in the Swedish Patent and Market Court.
TIME DANOWSKY Advokatbyrå AB has a substantial reputation in the copyright space, showcased by practice head Ulf Isaksson’s handling of copyright infringement litigation for digital platforms and national broadcasters in the Supreme Court. Peter Danowsky recently defended news publications in libel claims. Non-contentious strengths for the team include trade mark filings and prosecutions (particularly in the hotel and leisure sectors), marketing and consumer law litigation, and commercial IP licensing negotiations; the latter is regularly handled by Fredrik Ståhl.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Danowsky; Fredrik Ståhl
Sveriges Television AB
AB Dagens Nyheter
Helsingborgs Dagblad Aktiebolag
AB Kvällstidningen Expressen
- Defended Sveriges Television in high-profile copyright litigation brought by the Swedish Parliament before the Supreme Court.
- Represented Dagens Nyheter, Sweden’s largest morning newspaper, and its editor-in-chief in a libel case.
- Represented TV4 in an investigation conducted by the Swedish Consumer Agency under the Swedish Marketing Act and Gambling Act.
Cirio Advokatbyrå AB fields a broad bench of IP experts, which includes practice co-head Sanna Wolk, who is a go-to name for contentious and non-contentious digital copyright matters. The team handles commercial and licensing work in the technology sector, and in the brand protection space, co-head David Leffler routinely acts in trade mark prosecution, enforcement, opposition and revocation actions. Co-head Christopher Tehrani takes the lead on patent and trade secret litigation mandates, including disputes concerning medical devices and pharmaceuticals products.
Sanna Wolk; David Leffler; Christopher Tehrani
‘The team is unique due to highly skilled lawyers. It is hard to find more specialised lawyers in this area of expertise.’
‘Sanna Wolk is perhaps one of the best IP lawyers in Sweden.’
‘We have been so happy with the services provided, the team has comprehensive knowledge of the field, and always come up with various solutions to our problems.’
‘Sanna Wolk is so knowledgeable and so passionate about her field that it is always inspiring to work with her.’
‘A relatively young team with strong presence in the market. Attentive to clients’ needs and sound commercial advice.’
‘Christopher Tehrani is head of patent and trade secrets and has great knowledge within patent litigation. He is dedicated and always available.’
‘I worked with Christopher Tehrani several years ago. He is a very good lawyer and upcoming IP star in Sweden. I hope to have the opportunity to work together with him again in the future.’
HP PPS Sverige AB
British American Tobacco Sweden AB
Komplementskolan Sverige AB (Binogi)
MNKL STHLM AB
Mental Health in Mind International AB
Stockholm Live AB
Wasserman Medic AB
Karnov Group AB
HealthTextiles I Sverige AB
- Representing HP PPS Sverige AB in high-value litigation against Swedish collecting society Copyswede regarding the issue of private copying levies and the applicability in regards to the client’s commercial computers.
- Representing British American Tobacco Sweden in ongoing IP, marketing and regulatory matters covering a broad spectrum of legal aspects in relation to products relating to e-cigarettes and commercialisation in the Swedish market.
- Assisting Binogi, a technology and digital learning provider operating in Sweden, Germany, Canada and Tanzania, with all matters related to IP, including strategy, prosecutions, oppositions and enforcement issues. Work includes global strategy and trade mark applications.
Boutique firm Com Advokatbyrå is retained by high-profile, international names in the media, entertainment, broadcasting and IT sectors for advice on media and marketing law, copyright and trade mark protection issues and commercial IP negotiations The breadth of negotiations pertaining to film, TV, music and theatre contracts are regularly handled by Helena Ehinger. On the contentious side, consumer electronics brands recently instructed practice head Helene Hillerström Miksche in high-stakes litigation concerning copyright levies.
Helene Hillerström Miksche
Other key lawyers:
Blixten & Co
Nordisk Film Distribution
- Represented Sony Mobile in a groundbreaking case regarding copyright levies on mobile phones.
- Advising Nordisk Film Distribution on various legal matters, including marketing issues as well as negotiating all retailer contracts for Sony Playstation products across the Nordic region.
- Acting for four of five members of Swedish metal band Entombed in a trade mark dispute currently in the EUIPO regarding the band’s logo.
Heidenstam Legal Advokat AB
At IP boutique Heidenstam Legal Advokat AB, Peter Von Heidenstam and Helena Östblom act for an impressive global client base. The team handles trade mark prosecutions, anti-counterfeiting issues, patent litigation and domain name enforcement work.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Von Heidenstam; Helena Östblom
Advokatfirman Lindahl KB’s revitalised Stockholm office recently drew in a number of lateral hires, including Mårten Lindberg from Synch Advokat AB, who excels in commercial and transactional matters in the TMT sector, and Johan Åberg from Advokatfirman Westermark Anjou AB, who has expertise in copyright and marketing law. Malmö-based practice head Johan Norderyd and senior associate Christian Sundén handle IP portfolios and contentious infringement matters for international clients, and Uppsala-based Hugo Norlén is a go-to name for commercial IP instructions in the life sciences sector.
Other key lawyers:
Mårten Lindberg; Johan Åberg; Christian Sundén; Hugo Norlén
‘Fully dedicated to its national market, but still having an excellent network all over the world. We have consistently worked with the IP department of Lindahl since 2004 and highly appreciate their great quality, responsiveness, legal skills and friendly working atmosphere.’
‘It’s a great team with good knowledge, great availability and nice to work with.’
Star Stable Entertainment
TT Nyhetsbyrån AB
- Managing the global trade mark portfolios of Axis Communications and providing strategic IP advice.
- Represented Haribo in several disputes in Sweden involving some of Haribo’s most well-known brands.
- Assisted Swedish company Elon Group AB with its expansion into other Nordic markets.
Ström Advokatbyrå is a media and entertainment-focused IP boutique established by Jerker Edström and Staffan Boström (who were previously at Bird & Bird). Musicians, songwriters, producers and other creative professionals engage the team, which includes co-head Emil Ödling and senior associate Malin Ekstrand, on commercial and contract arrangements, trade mark and copyright strategies and marketing law matters. Co-head Emilia Hempel leads the litigation practice with recent work encompassing copyright infringement, trade mark enforcement and commercial IP disputes.
Jerker Edström; Staffan Boström; Emil Ödling; Emilia Hempel
Other key lawyers:
‘This team is extremely experienced in the global music and media industries. Vast experience, expertise and strong closing abilities.’
‘Innovative in the way IP-deals are structured. Expertise in law and markets on both sides of the Atlantic.’
‘Staffan Boström I have worked with for decades, the to-go person in the territory. Jerker Edström is a brilliant negotiator, deal designer and has a strong ability too close.’
‘Highly effective, accurate and responsive.’
‘Digital file management and communication enables effective collaboration.’
‘Emilia Hempel nicely balances strong argumentative capabilities with excellent communicative skills resulting in effective and valuable legal advice.’
‘One of few firms in Sweden that manage to work with negotiations and agreement within the film and TV market with a high standard.’
‘I would say that Emil Ödling is one of two layers in Sweden that I could recommend when it comes to agreements within the film and TV business.’
MTM Musical LLC
Swedish House Mafia
Linus Wiklund and Jonnali Parmenius (p/k/a Noonie Bao)
TEN Music Group
The Avicii Group of Companies & Tim Bergling Foundation
Warner Bros. International Television Production Sverige AB
Live Nation Nordic
MM! the Party in Stockholm
- Advising on all legal matters relating to MXM Music’s music production, including producer and publishing agreements in relation to songs achieving the number one position on Billboard. Also handling contentious matters, such as claims relating to alleged infringements.
- Advising Swedish House Mafia, the globally known Swedish house music group consisting of members Axwell, Steve Angello and Sebastian Ingrosso, on a wide range of commercial matters relating to the band members’ individual and joint careers within the music industry.
- Advising Warner Bros in relation to television productions including option and rights agreements, talent and crew agreements, co-production agreements and license and distribution agreements.
Synch Advokat AB
Co-head Sara Sparring and Jim Runsten of Synch Advokat AB’s IP practice had recent success in the field of anti-piracy litigation, obtaining dynamic injunctions against a major telecoms operator for a suite of global media rights holders. Infringement disputes, technical patent litigation and marketing disputes are also regularly handled by the group. On the non-contentious side, co-head Mathilda Nordmark advises on trade mark portfolio management issues (and related enforcements), licensing work, commercial IP deals and franchising agreements. The retail, fintech and life sciences industries are focus sectors for the team.
Mathilda Nordmark; Sara Sparring
Other key lawyers:
‘They are skilled, pragmatic, efficient and very nice to talk to.’
‘They have great knowledge that quickly orientates into the issue. Their friendly and personal attitude make it feel like they are part of our company.’
‘Pragmatic and timely advice, commercial mindset.’
‘Mathilda Nordmark has provided timely and to the point advice and given us a clear path to winning our specific case.’
Motion Picture Association of America
Znipe Esports AB
Apotek Produktion och Laboratorier AB
Hi3G Access AB
Advanced Stabilized Technologies Group AB
Albacross Nordic AB
Arctic Falls AB
- Represented Disney Enterprises, Twentieth Century Fox, Columbia Pictures, Warner Bros, Paramount Pictures and others (the right holders) in proceedings against Telia Sverige AB, Sweden’s largest telecoms operator in the Swedish Patent and Market Court and the Swedish Patent and Market Court of Appeal.
- Acting for Hi3G Access in contentious marketing law matters against Tele2 Sverige AB and Telia Sverige AB at the Swedish Patent and Market Court, regarding Tele2’s and Telia’s unfair marketing.
- Assisting Advanced Stabilized Technologies Group with a rebranding process working closely with the company and its naming agency to create a trade mark strategy.
Wistrand’s IP practice is spread across the Gothenburg office, which is led by Erik Ullberg and primarily advises retail, food and drink and industrial clients; and the Stockholm-based group led by Christel Rockström, which acts for media, sports, IT and healthcare clients. Ongoing contentious instructions include copyright infringement claims and patent litigation in the Patent and Market Court. On the non-contentious side, the team advises on transactional IP, trade mark prosecutions, marketing and advertising law, and licensing issues.
Christel Rockström; Erik Ullberg
‘The Wistrand trade mark group is the go-to group in Sweden, capably handling any and all trade mark prosecution and enforcement needs in Sweden and the EU. The firm is good value for money.’
‘Erik Ullberg is incredibly responsive and a pleasure to work with. When filing marks locally in Sweden or Europe on behalf of US clients, he is a true partner, adding value and insights to possible issues, resolving them quickly and efficiently.’
‘Great lawyers, with an understanding of the sectors in which our clients operate, including advertising and the creative industries. Commercial, practical and pragmatic advice. They are prompt and clear.’
Schibsted Media Group
Nordic Choice Hotels
Lagardère Sports and Entertainment
The Swedish Hockey League (SHL)
- Representing Input Interiör before the Patents and Market Court in litigation concerning issues relating to the alleged copyright infringement of works of fine art.
- Represented Lundberg VVS-produkter before the Patent and Market Court in patent litigation and trade mark litigation proceedings.
IP firm Zacco manages complex patent, trade mark and design portfolios for Swedish and global brands. Magdalena Jerner, Hampus Adlerton and Martin Tränalv routinely handle prosecutions and enforcements for a diverse client roster ranging from clothing and fashion companies to medical device and engineering businesses. Malin Thunberg McCann has expertise in marketing and domain name law, while Marcus Eilenberg advises on licensing and cooperation agreements. Digital rights enforcements and the associated cyber risk and anti-counterfeiting actions are growing fields of focus for the group.
Other key lawyers:
Magdalena Jerner; Hampus Adlerton; Martin Tränalv; Malin Thunberg McCann; Marcus Eilenberg
‘The team is professional and has excellent knowledge regarding our trade marks and our different businesses that we operate in. We receive excellent advice and good support and service when required for all our different businesses within our diversified group.’
‘Martin Tranälv, senior partner, has excellent knowledge within this field and a good/nice manner. He always provide us with information in all our cases and explains it in an understandable and easy way, even the things that are complicated are easily explained by him so that we can understand how to act.’
Scania CV Aktiebolag
Postnord Group AB
- Acting for furniture company Svenskt Tenn AB in copyright and trade mark infringement claims including in the ECJ.
- Handling cross-border cancellation actions and strategy issues for e-commerce company Ellos AB.
- Advising photography company Profoto AB on its worldwide strategy and action plan for infringement of its design rights.
Sanna Lundkvist heads up DLA Piper’s IP practice following the departure of Emil Ödling to Ström Advokatbyrå. The team maintains a profile in the commercial IP space, advising a client roster of media and entertainment, sports, betting, fashion and retail brands on copyright and trade mark protection issues, gambling and advertising law (a key area for the firm globally), marketing law and transactional IP work. Anna Jussil Broms is also a key name in the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Anna Jussil Broms
‘Competent, knowledgeable and professional with business understanding to drive the process forward with a clear mutual roadmap.’
‘Highly flexible and always reachable, good under pressure working against tight deadlines.’
‘We are very satisfied with their cooperation and the work they have conducted with us.’
Black Spark Film & TV
BOB Film Sweden
Brand New Content
Brand New Television
Eyeworks Scandi Fiction
Film i Väst
ITV Studios Nordic
MTG Modern Studios
Nice Entertainment Sweden and This is Nice
One Nice One
Stella Nova Filmproduktion
Fair Play Bets
Baffin Bay Networks
- Acting as legal adviser to Happy Socks in a wide range of matters including the protection and exploitation of Happy Socks’ IP assets as well as related enforcement and litigation matters.
- Acting as legal adviser to Voi Technology, one of Europe’s leading companies providing digital rental services of electrical scooters.
- Advised Silver Spring Media and the Swedish Floorball Association on the invitation to tender for and subsequent licensing of media rights to the Swedish Super League for the 2021 to 2025 seasons.
At Eversheds Sutherland’s IP practice, group head Richard Jacobsson leads on IP-related transactional work, cross-licensing issues and franchise agreements for a range of IT, industrial, transport and consumer goods clients. With assistance from associate Dane Stattin, the team also advises on IP-rich M&A and procurement negotiations, working with the firm's corporate department.
Other key lawyers:
‘Richard Jacobsson stands out, he combines in-depth knowledge and long experience of intellectual property law with unique strategic thinking.’
A number of high-profile media and entertainment clients retain Hammarskiöld for IP portfolio management work, licensing agreements and trade mark registrations; the latter is handled by co-head Malin Albert. Fellow co-head Claes Langenius is currently representing construction clients in trade mark and copyright infringement investigations and proceedings.
Claes Langenius; Malin Albert
‘Hammarskiöld provides us with valuable advice thanks to its broad knowledge and understanding of a wide area of business, with short response times.’
Scania CV AB
AB Svenska Spel
Pontus Group AB
- Representing Scania in ongoing court proceedings relating to infringement of Scania’s trade marks and copyright.
- Representing AB Svenska Spel, the leading gaming company in Sweden, in a case before the Swedish Consumer Ombudsman regarding marketing and consumer-related matters as well as freedom of speech in media and television.
- Assisting Pontus Group, a company operating in the restaurant and catering business, with reviewing and negotiating agreements regarding the licensing of the client’s trade mark.
Hannes Snellman’s IP and technology practice is increasingly active in the media space. The team, led by the highly praised Elisabeth Vestin and featuring counsels Caroline Sundberg and Anna Ribenfors, advises media, sports, gaming, e-commerce, retail and food and drink companies. Particular areas of expertise for the group include transactional IP matters, media and entertainment law issues including digital and film rights work, gambling mandates, trade secrets issues and freedom of information advice.
Other key lawyers:
Caroline Sundberg; Anna Ribenfors
‘Hannes Snellman has a team of lawyers with excellent business acumen. They understand the businesses which they are advising and the work that they produce is flawless. They are an absolute pleasure to work with and as a client one can really feel that one is in a safe pair of hands. It is great that Hannes Snellman puts together a team of lawyers, each with relevant experience and expertise. Instead, therefore, of getting only input from one or two lawyers, one gets the benefit of a full range of experts.’
‘Elisabeth Vestin is a fantastic and driven lawyer. She is ambitious, works incredibly hard and has her clients’ interests at heart.’
‘The team contains an excellent mix of very experienced lawyers, senior associates and younger lawyers who all seem to be very committed and client driven. The team has special experience and knowledge in e-commerce, retail and franchising matters.’
‘The number of women that are part of this team makes it truly special.’
‘Elisabeth Vestin is outstanding. You couldn’t think of a better lawyer to take care of your interests. She is very energetic, focused, always ahead of the curve and delivers very pragmatic advice.’
Hipgnosis Songs Fund
Swedish Hockey league (HockeyAllsvenskan)
AIK Fotboll AB
Alma Talent Group
Vitamin Well Group
AB Nordiska Kompaniet
House of Dagmar
- Represented Kindred Group in its appeal to the Swedish Administrative Court after receiving a warning and a sanction fee of SEK100m from the Swedish Gambling Authority for offering incentives in early 2019.
- Advised Alma Talent, which is a part of Alma Media, on a share transaction to sell the share capital of Alma Talent AB to New Technology Media Group AB.
- Handled Elk Entertainment’s sale of an unscripted TV format catalogue – comprised of 65 formats – to ITV Studios.
Magnusson Advokatbyrå’s IP group is headed up by Helena Rönqvist, who advises on brand strategies, advertising and marketing law, commercial IP transactions and licensing issues. Global trade mark portfolios are also managed by the team. Retained clients range from names in the retail and fashion industries to financial services, technology and healthcare companies.
Söderberg & Partners
Smilegate Holdings Inc
- Advised Quanterix Corporation on its acquisition of UmanDiagnostics, a world leading neurofilament light antibody supplier.
- Represented listed Finnish technology company Aspocomp in a dispute regarding trade secrets.
- Representing Intersolia, a European chemical consultant company, in a dispute regarding trade secrets against several individuals and a newly established company.
MAQS Advokatbyrå’s IP and media group is particularly strong in the trade mark space, with typical instructions encompassing trade mark protection work, transactions, commercialisation issues and enforcements. Sector strengths are broad: co-head Christina Berggren focuses on the media, fashion and design industries; co-head David Berggren often advises government departments; and Daniel Thorbjörnsson recently provided strategic advice to clients in the autotech and gaming sectors. Co-head Wendela Hårdemark recently joined from Advokatfirman Vinge, strengthening the group's patent expertise.
Christina Berggren; David Berggren; Wendela Hårdemark
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong trade mark and media practice strengthened on the patent and copyright side with Wendela Hårdemark.’
‘Very knowledgeable, speedy and transparent.’
‘I have worked with Wendela Hårdemark and Christina Berggren for several years – the work is very practical and result oriented with the best interests of the client in mind.’
Hyundai Motor Company
Volvo Trademark Holding AB
The Coca-Cola Company
Elkjöp Nordic AS
Essity Hygiene and Health AB
Stampen Lokala Medier AB
ASKO Appliances AB
Cyan TM AB
Salming Trademarks AB
Electro Elco AB
Cura of Sweden
- Representing Cura of Sweden AB in two cases regarding patent infringement and revocation of the patent.
- Acting for Clouet in a trade mark case in which the opposing party used a label on its bottle that the client considers infringing its trade mark rights.
- Assisting racing company Cyan with its trade mark, design and copyright strategy and with the protection of trade marks across all markets of operation including in relation to Cyan’s customers and partners.
Led by Magnus Tonell and Tom Kronhöffer, Next Advokater’s IP and media practice handles soft IP matters for a client base comprised of fashion brands and hi-tech companies in the IT, media and software industries. Trade mark portfolio management issues, enforcement work and oppositions before the EUIPO are handled by the team, as well as copyright infringements and trade secret disputes. A host of publishing companies also retain the team for IP licensing negotiations and other copyright-related matters.
Magnus Tonell; Tom Kronhöffer
Hatten Education AB
The Swedish Magazine Publishers Association
- Successfully represented Hatten Education in a dispute related to a claimed copyright infringement in the Swedish Labour Court.
- Represented Dustin AB in a major dispute with a Swedish collecting society regarding compensation for the manufacture and importation of recording devices for sounds or images under the Swedish Act on Copyright in Literary and Artistic Works.
- Represented JM:s Plåt & Mek in trade mark infringement litigation against a Canadian company before both the Swedish Patent and Market Court and the Swedish Patent and Market Court of Appeal.
The media, entertainment and sports industries are focus sectors for NORDIA Law’s IP group; practice co-head Karl Ole Möller advises sports governing bodies, athletes and officials on contentious, commercial and regulatory matters. Co-head Fredrik Persson handles trade mark and copyright portfolio management issues and licensing negotiations, and co-head Mårten Stenström advises on broadcasting and advertising law matters.
Karl Ole Möller; Fredrik Persson; Mårten Stenström
‘Besides highly professional legal practice, its very personal and trustworthy. Very few law firms have this personal attitude towards its clients.’
IMG UK Ltd – London
ENDEAVOR – Beverly Hills
IMG Media Ltd – London
IMG (Sweden) AB
CAA Creative Artist Agency
UEFA Legal Division
IMMAF International Mixed Martial Arts Federation
EM Soccer – Eriksson Management AB
ME Sports Marketing AB
Gotlands Snus AB
Virtual Stores AB
- Representing Play’n GO Malta in trade mark infringement allegations filed by Novomatic in relation to Novomatic’s game BOOK OF RA.
- Providing ongoing legal advice to IMG Media in regards to its operations in Sweden, such as the staging of its international golf events, as well as many other IP and sports law-related issues in connection with IMG’s business operations in Scandinavia.
- Providing legal advice to Soccertalk GmbH, one of the most renowned consulting agencies in German professional football, in relation to the transfer of a Swedish national team player who currently plays in the Bundesliga.