Insurance in Sweden
The client list for Advokatfirman Vinge’s insurance practice comprises high-profile domestic and international life and non-life insurers and intermediaries, which the team assists with the full spectrum of regulatory issues and insurance-related M&A. Recent matters include practice head Fabian Ekeblad, Viveka Classon and Per Johan Eckerberg advising on product implementation work, policy drafting issues, the implementation of the Insurance Distribution Directive, corporate restructurings and cross-border M&A transactions. Mattias Rosengren and Fredrik Lundblom are stand-out names on the contentious side and regularly act in coverage litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Fabian Ekeblad; Henrik Ossborn; Mattias Rosengren;
‘A very strong insurance team with real experience.‘
‘Fabian Ekeblad always gives swift, clear and professional advice when you need it.‘
‘Per Johan Eckerberg has an unsurpassed experience of the insurance sector.‘
‘With many years of experience as GC of a major insurance company, Viveka Classon brings commercial knowledge to the firm.‘
- Assisted EQT with the procurement of D&O insurance for the entirety of the its portfolio companies.
- Assisting Cardif Försäkring with its portfolio transfer to Maltese insurance company Staff Europe Insurance.
- Defending Trygg-Hansa Försäkring Filial in a SEK15m liability dispute.
Global and domestic insurers instruct the insurance team at Baker McKenzie to handle cross-border insurance litigation and arbitration proceedings. Practice head Stefan Bessman acts in coverage disputes relating to product, insurer and D&O liability issues, and complex reinsurance litigation. The team has also recently acted in insurance regulatory disputes.
If Property & Casualty Insurance
- Acting for AIG Europe in a number of coverage disputes involving D&O liability insurance.
- Representing Chubb in a coverage dispute with Akire Services concerning the latter’s claim for coverage under liability insurance against claims made in a US class action.
- Advising AIG on a matter relating to the product liability of a policyholder in the oil refining business.
DLA Piper provides leading names in the Nordic insurance market with regulatory, contentious and transactional advice and leverages the firm's cross-border expertise on international mandates. The practice has notable expertise in the insurtech field and the team advises on regulatory and commercial issues pertaining to cutting-edge digital insurance solutions. Practice head Arthur Csatho, who took over the role from the now retired Bengt Kärde, is often instructed by clients in high-value claims litigation, including complex cyber insurance issues. With the addition of Peter Sarkia, who joined from MAQS Advokatbyrå, the team also fields expertise in cross-border cooperation agreements and advises on policy terms and commercial agreements.
‘Peter Sarkia always available and on track, in particular when dealing with tight time frames. He stays calm with a necessary overview on things even when it gets rough.‘
Mannheimer Swartling acts for leading insurers as well as policyholders and municipalities in insurance disputes including liability proceedings, subrogation claims and limitation issues. Recent big-ticket work saw practice head Hans Hammarbäck handling international arbitration proceedings in the construction sector. Hammarbäck is also a key name for advisory work and, with assistance from senior associate Erik Schultz and associate Sofia Andersson, advises insurers and reinsurers on asset and liability management issues, product structuring and development mandates, insurance-related M&A, risk transfers and general regulatory compliance.
‘Provides clear and effective advice.‘
‘A strong and professional team with broad competencies within property and casualty insurance with a service-minded approach.‘
Po Söderberg & Partner Holding Aktiebolag
- Successfully represented the Landskrona Stad municipality in an insurance dispute with Trygg-Hansa Försäkring filial concerning subrogation, limitation and the allocation of insurance compensation between several injured parties.
- Advised Söderberg & Partners on an investment by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
Per Sjödin and Johan Strömberg jointly lead NORDIA Law’s insurance practice with ‘extraordinary professionalism, knowledge and competence’. Insurance and reinsurance litigation is a particular focus for the group; the team represents prominent domestic insurers in high-value coverage disputes and right of recourse litigation. The team also assists policyholders with negotiating and drafting policy agreements and terms and conditions.
Per Sjödin; Johan Strömberg
‘I have worked with Per Sjödin and his team for roughly six years. His team members are responsive and strategic and clever in finding ways to resolve controversies.‘
‘Per Sjödin is one of those select individuals that actually thinks creatively to find solutions others might not.‘
‘A top-notch Swedish law firm. Very focused on insurance and delivering a good service to their clients; practical and user friendly.‘
‘I have very good experience working with Per Sjödin and Mikaela Kempe Bergner, with both of them being very competent, strategic and communicative.‘
‘Per Sjödin gives quick replies and smooth service.‘
‘Putting aside his knowledge and professional skills, Per Sjödin is a truly good person. He is honest, and candid, to a fault.‘
‘Per Sjödin and Johan Stromberg are both excellent lawyers, good listeners and pragmatic. A pleasure to deal with.‘
Zurich Insurance Plc
Ålands Ömsesidiga Försäkringsbolag
QBE Insurance Europe
- Representing Länsförsäkringar Sak Försäkringsaktiebolag in litigation concerning an intermediary’s liability insurance.
- Representing five insurance companies (including Länsfösäkringar Dalarna, Länsförsäkringar Bergslagen and Folksam) in a dispute against Stora Enso relating to the right of recourse for €45m of losses arising from a forest fire.
- Representing Zürich Insurance, Swiss Re and HDI Global in a dispute against the City of Stockholm regarding the right to insurance compensation for claims arising from the Slussen redevelopment.
As the market-leading insurance boutique in the Swedish market, Norelid Advokatbyrå is a trusted adviser to significant international insurance and reinsurance clients as well as domestic SMEs and large-scale commercial companies. Group co-heads Susanna Norelid and Fredrik Seemann, and senior associate Levi Bergstedt, are active in landmark litigation involving coverage, subrogation, fidelity, professional liability and product liability claims. The firm also provides advice on cyber risk issues and has access to a 24/7 cyber risk desk through its relationship with Kennedy’s Law. Recent highlights in the non-life sector include advising on cross-border risk management issues, product implementation work and breach of contract arbitration proceedings.
Susanna Norelid; Fredrik Seemann
‘Great experience in industrial risk insurance products and claims.‘
CNA Hardy Insurance
Clyde & Co.
Knif Trygghet Forsikring
Zurich Insurance Group
FM Insurance Europe
Kogstad Lunde & Co.
- Acting for FM Insurance Europe Global in a SEK100m damages claim involving a steam turbine engine failure.
- Representing Gjensidige Forsikring in a high-value international liability claim.
- Representing Circle K in $2m coverage litigation before the Court of Appeals.
Wistrand’s insurance practice has particularly strong expertise in W&I insurance, with Magnus Forssman receiving instructions from major international insurers as underwriters of cross-border transactions. Practice head Jörgen Eklund and Harry Bergman represent insurers in litigation proceedings including professional liability and coverage claims. The firm also has a significant regulatory practice, with recent mandates spanning the implementation of insurance products and policy drafting issues. Anne-Marie Pouteaux heads up the Gothenburg team.
Jörgen Eklund; Anne-Marie Pouteaux
‘The firm has very good knowledge of the insurance industry and our business.‘
‘Provides fast feedback, excellent quality and very good knowledge of our business. They provide pragmatic advice when negotiating with our partners.‘
Falck Försäkringar AB
WL Care AB
Tokio Marine HCC
Stena Oil AB
Stena Metall AB
- Providing Nordic advice to Anticimex on the implementation of its coinsurance and reinsurance schemes.
- Successfully defended insurance mediator WL Care in a commission dispute against insurer Danica.
Advokatfirman Cederquist KB handles a range of contentious insurance mandates for a client list comprising core domestic insurance companies and a number of international insurers. Typical matters for group co-heads Pontus Röckert and Erik Wernberg span professional liability issues relating to former board members, and recourse claims. The firm's corporate experts handle M&A transactions and corporate governance issues for clients in the insurance sector, and co-head Sebastian Sundberg is a go-to name for regulatory advice.
Pontus Röckert; Erik Wernberg; Sebastian Sundberg
‘Has an outstanding knowledge of the insurance sector, both case law and legislation.‘
‘Erik Wernberg is the partner to go to when it comes to insurance and litigation regarding insurance. Updated, committed and engaged.‘
‘Calm and focused on the facts and issues, which creates confidence.‘
- Representing the former board members of Kraft & Kultur Sverige as respondents against Grant Thornton’s SEK2bn recourse claim.
- Advised a consortium led by Polaris and Acathia Capital on its acquisition of the Swedish insurance company Danica Pension Försäkringsaktiebolag.
- Representing the former board members of Concent Holding (instructed by AIG) in court proceedings against Concent Holding concerning professional and personal liability issues.
Cirio Advokatbyrå AB provides a client roster of multinational insurance companies with regulatory and corporate advice including handling the structuring of policies and disputes concerning D&O and professional liability insurance. The team, which is led by Carl-Olof Bouveng, routinely works alongside the M&A department to provide advice to underwriters of warranty and indemnity insurance.
‘Absolutely reliable and focussed on the problems to be solved.‘
‘Carl-Olof Bouveng is approachable on short notice and discussions with him are of a high quality.‘
Gothenburg-based senior counsel Rolf Karlsson heads up the insurance practice at Advokatfirman Delphi, which acts for a client base comprising international insurance providers and claims management companies. The team is regularly involved in disputes concerning recourse claims, liability claims and complex product liability issues; the groups attracts notable praise for its expertise in construction liability litigation.
‘The team deals very quickly with in-house questions and the replies are always detailed.‘
‘The firm is always available on short notice to answer any legal questions.‘
Nordic Loss Adjusting
Svenska Kommun Försäkrings
Crawford & Company
- Acted for Svenska Kommun Försäkrings in a disputed liability claim forwarded by a real estate owner.
- Defended Gjensidige Forsikring in a disputed liability claim.
Hammarskiöld counts a number of Swedish and international insurance corporates on its client list, which group co-heads Lars Ulrichs, Peder Hammarskiöld and Per Sundin advise on portfolio transfers, insurance-related M&A, regulatory compliance issues and high-value claims. Sandra Kaznova is the go-to name for insurance coverage disputes.
Lars Ulrichs; Peder Hammarskiöld; Per Sundin
‘The team is extremely dedicated with a very good in-depth knowledge of the relevant legal aspects. They generally take a commercial approach to each problem while always maintaining high integrity. A very high-standard firm but with a personal touch in the client/attorney relationship.‘
‘Erik Fahlgren is very service minded, experienced and capable but always with a professional integrity.‘
‘Sandra Kaznova is a very knowledgeable and experienced insurance and litigation lawyer who takes a personal interest in your case.‘
Zurich South America Invest AB
The Swedish Pensions Agency
Allied World Assurance Company (Europe)
HCC International Insurance Company
Pembroke Managing Agency
- Swedish counsel on AIG’s relocation of its insurance business from the UK to Luxembourg.
- Appointed liquidator of Trygg Hansa Mutual Insurance by The Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority.
- Acting for AIG in high-value insurance claims.
Insurance providers, brokers and intermediaries instruct practice head Caroline Landerfors and Robert Karlsson at Magnusson Advokatbyrå on regulatory mandates including licence applications and the implementation of the Insurance Distribution Directive for the establishment of branches and new products in the Swedish market. Landerfors is also noted for her knowledge of the emerging insurtech start-up scene and is praised for her regulatory and commercial advice regarding digital insurance platforms.
‘We are an insuretech start-up and Magnusson is the only firm in Stockholm we have encountered which can combine the knowledge and experience necessary to deal with the legal issues that arise for us. We have used them from the product development stage all the way through to launch. Apart from being experts on insurance, they can provide in depth analysis on the correlation between the insurance framework and data regulations.‘
‘Provides high quality and fast response times.’
‘Caroline Landefors is pragmatic and has a high level of expertise within the insurance sector.‘
‘Works as a team and is always reachable. Able to provide advice also from a business and commercial perspective and understands the needs of in-house legal counsel.‘
Bought By Many
Setterwalls has notable experience in claims handling in industrial sectors, primarily the maritime, aviation and rail industries. Practice head Åke Fors and associate Samuel Pihl assist P&I Clubs, pensions funds and organisations in the utilities sector with regulatory advice, insurance claim filings and coverage disputes. The team also provides coverage advice to high-net-worth individuals.
‘Samuel Pihl stands out as a trustworthy and professional expert of marine insurance, who can evaluate the case from different perspectives with the right amount of attention to detail. He can very clearly communicate what is most important and provide strong and straight to the point arguments to justify the case.‘
‘Åke Fors is a very skilled lawyer.‘
‘Samuel Pihl is most competent and service minded.‘
Euro Accident Health & Care Insurance Aktiebolag
National General Insurance
Euro Accident Livförsäkring AB
Small Business Consortium
UK P&I Club
North of England P&I Club
Steamship Mutual P&I Club
London P&I Club
AP7 (the Swedish Seventh governmental AP pension fund)
- Acting for Kraftwerk Schwarzew Pumpe (a German power supplier) in an insurance claim against Vattenfall Insurance.
- Assisting waste management company Ragn-Sells with filing damage claims relating to fire damage.
Swedish insurers instruct White & Case Advokat AB's insurance team to act in insurance-related litigation and arbitration proceedings. Recent highlights for key practitioners including group head Anders Reldén and counsel Niklas Forsmark Helmer include D&O liability insurance and coverage disputes in the construction sector. The team also acts in international disputes as co-counsel with the firm’s wider European offices.
‘They have an extremely high level of expertise and they work fast.‘
‘The team has a great understanding of the insurance business in Sweden and also provides access to its global network when we need them to. The team as a whole is friendly and pleasant to work with. Their work is always of high value, they staff matters efficiently plus they also have a great response rate. Any questions are always taken care of at once.‘
‘A good team which is very attentive and friendly.‘
‘I have worked with Niklas Helmer, Katarina Düring and Anders Reldén. Most of the work has been done by Niklas and I cannot say enough good things about him- both as a lawyer and his approach to us as a client. Anders and Katarina have proved to have in-depth knowledge of insurance law issues and very good analytical skills.‘
Trygg-Hansa Försäkring filial
- Representing Trygg-Hansa Försäkring filial in a dispute against Bioendev regarding claims under an insurance policy following damages from a fire.
- Defending Anticimex Försäkringar and Folksam in a dispute brought by a private individual following the discovery of substantial mould and water damage in several buildings.
- Represented construction wholesaler Derome Byggvaror & Träteknik in a recourse dispute against Länsförsäkringar Halland relating to materials supplied to a construction site.