Advokatfirma DLA Piper Sweden KB acts for a number of leading players in the Swedish insurance market, including insurers and policyholders, and handles both contentious and non-contentious matters. Its multidisciplinary team has niche expertise in cyber insurance and in the insurtech space. Arthur Csatho heads up the practice and is recommended for disputes, warranty and indemnity (W&I) insurance matters, and artificial intelligence (AI) work. Senior associate David Johansson advises clients on domestic and international insurance and reinsurance disputes. Peter Sarkia left for Lindskog Malmström Advokatbyrå and Fredrik Wiberg left for an in-house role.
Insurance in Sweden
Other key lawyers:
‘Good skills in this specific legal area’.
‘Easy to connect with’.
‘Broad coverage of the subject matter’.
‘David Johansson has been a great resource of both information and strategy, and delivered an outstanding performance in court’.
‘David Johansson is driven creative and motivated’.
‘Unique competencies in different fields’.
‘David Johansson has been very professional, and pivotal for our company’s development’.
‘Arthur Csatho has consistently demonstrated client focus and efficiency in all matters where I have dealt with him’.
The insurance team at Mannheimer Swartling is ‘both very cool and professional’ and covers the full gamut of insurance work, including contracts, mediation, disputes, regulatory work and transactional matters, often with cross-border aspects. The team is jointly led by Hans Hammarbäck and Azadeh Razani; Hammarbäck is recommended for contentious insurance and reinsurance matters, and M&A-related insurance disputes, and Razani handles disputes, including litigation and arbitration proceedings. Senior associate Erik Schultz has particular experience in regulatory matters and transactions.
Hans Hammarbäck; Azadeh Razani
Other key lawyers:
Erik Schultz; Fredrik Oling Andretzky; Christian Pfeiff
‘Strong team which combines corporate, commercial, contract and regulatory expertise’.
‘Broad knowledge of the fields of work, and ability to provide effective advice on how to implement regulatory requirements into complex agreements’.
‘Good engagement, speed, diversity and knowledge’.
‘Consistent team with deep knowledge that always delivers on time’.
‘Christian Pfeiff is a superb lawyer: thoughtful and innovative in finding solutions to legal problems’.
‘Overall very professional and knowledgeable’.
‘They are very knowledgeable, very responsive, and it is my impression that they have a good relationship with the Swedish regulator’.
‘They are very pleasant to work with’.
Stockholms Stad (the City of Stockholm)
Gjensidige Forsikring ASA, Sweden branch
Gamla Livförsäkringsaktiebolaget SEB Trygg Liv
- Representing Stockholms stad in an insurance dispute against three major European insurers.
- Represented Gjensidige Forsikring ASA, Sweden branch, in its acquisition of a Swedish Managing General Agent.
Norelid Advokatbyrå is ‘a boutique law firm with a small, engaged team who are happy to go the extra mile’. As an associate firm of Kennedys, the practice handles a steady flow of cross-border mandates and acts for large international insurers with a Swedish presence. Susanna Norelid co-heads the team with over 30 years’ experience; while fellow co-head Fredrik Seemann is recommended for claims handling, dispute resolution, regulatory and compliance issues. Former senior associate Levi Bergstedt left for an in-house role.
Susanna Norelid; Fredrik Seeman
‘Very talented team with in-depth knowledge of all aspects of insurance’.
‘Knowledgeable, engaging, hard-working and flexible’.
‘The team at Norelid are a pleasure to work with and bring genuine interest and fresh solution-focused thinking to any problem presented’.
‘The team are very approachable, available and always look to add value at every engagement’.
‘Susanna Norelid leads the team very well in a respectful, open and interested manner’.
‘As soon as you enter their office you like the atmosphere, culture and you feel instantly welcomed’.
‘They are really fast in delivering solutions whatever my problem is’.
‘The entire team is extremely proactive, efficient and solves problems’.
FM Global Europe
Clyde & Co
Stockholms Stads Brandförsäkringskontor
Circle K Terminal Sweden AB
AM Trust Europe
Group Baloise Assurances a Luxembourg
- Advising FM Insurance Europe Global on several high-value property damage claims.
- Advising Zurich on the handling of a major crime/fidelity insurance claim.
- Advising Aspen Insurance on an extremely high-value liability claim.
Advokatfirman Vinge is well known in the market for insurance-related M&A and regulatory work, and also handles disputes and advisory matters. Its services are praised as ‘timely, precise, well-balanced, commercial and always at the right level’. Fabian Ekeblad leads the team alongside Mattias Rosengren, Henrik Ossborn and Michele Fara, and is recommended for transactions and regulatory matters, while also managing client relationships with large Swedish and international insurance companies and intermediaries. Viveka Classon is experienced in corporate governance and regulatory issues.
Fabian Ekeblad; Henrik Ossborn; Mattias Rosengren; Michele Fara
Other key lawyers:
Per Johan Eckerberg; Viveka Classon; Fredrik Lundblom
‘The people are very service minded and always deliver on time or before’.
‘They have deep knowledge in the areas you need help with’.
‘They are reliable and are always there when you need them’.
‘Viveka Classon and her team are business-oriented and offer in-depth knowledge about the Swedish insurance market’.
‘Viveka Classon stands out among the insurance partners at Vinge as she brings important experience from the Swedish insurance industry from her past experience’.
‘The partners, Viveka Claesson and Fabian Ekeblad are very professional, always deliver on time and give very good advice’.
‘They have deep industry knowledge and experience’.
‘Fabian Ekeblad is a top insurance lawyer; he provides solid and sharp advice, always on time and with a smile’.
Sirius International Insurance Corporation
Willis Towers Watson
Hedvig Försäkring AB
Codan Forsikring AS/Trygg-Hansa Försäkring Filial
Dina Försäkring AB/the Dina insurance federation
Cardif Försäkring AB
- Represented Sirius International in several matters including all Swedish regulatory implications of the acquisition by ThirdPoint Re of the Sirius International group, including the application for ownership approval by the Swedish regulator.
- Represented Willis Europe B.V., a subsidiary of Willis Towers Watson Plc, in the sale of all ordinary shares in MM Holding AB, the parent company of the Max Matthiessen group, to Nordic Capital Fund IX (through a newly set-up buyer SPV).
- Acting as (sole) legal counsel for Trygg-Hansa Codan, the Danish insurance giant within the RSA Group, in an insurance dispute before the Stockholm District Court.
Westerberg & Partners
The insurance team at Westerberg & Partners is led by Stefan Bessman, who recently joined the firm from Baker McKenzie, and has notable expertise in complex insurance litigation cases. The group acts for large foreign and domestic insurer clients in insurance and reinsurance disputes, and also handles non-contentious matters. Bessman is well regarded in the market for his strong international experience and his strong track record in the Supreme Court, while Jesper Tiberg is a name to note for commercial dispute resolution and international arbitration proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
AIG Europe Insurance SA
If Property & Casualty Insurance
- Representing AIG in several significant coverage disputes regarding financial lines and related areas.
- Representing Gjensidige in several coverage disputes arising out of pandemic-related business interruption claims.
- Acting for If Insurance in several large insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes, some of which have reached the Swedish Supreme Court and have created legal precedent.
Advokatfirman Cederquist KB has notable expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters, and areas where the practice has considerable experience include regulatory issues, transactions and disputes. The team acts for domestic and international insurer clients and draws on strength from its M&A, disputes and financial regulation practitioners. Erik Wernberg has considerable experience in high-value international and national arbitration and litigation proceedings; Pontus Röckert is a name to note for corporate insurance work; and Tobias Johansson is recommended for financial regulatory matters.
Tobias Johansson; Erik Wernberg; Pontus Röckert
- Successfully represented the former board members of a company as respondents in court proceedings against Grant Thornton, concerning board member liability under the Swedish Companies Act.
- Representing a client in complex court proceedings before the Stockholm District Court regarding serial loss claims involving several insurance companies, emanating from a number of ongoing class actions in North America.
NORDIA Law offers clients ‘a combination of legal skills, experience and industry knowledge’ and assists with insurance and reinsurance disputes. It is well versed in litigation and arbitration proceedings relating to tort law, and also handles advisory matters, spanning the interpretation, negotiation and drafting of insurance agreements. Per Sjödin often acts as lead counsel for large insurance companies in domestic and international disputes, and co-heads the team alongside Johan Strömberg.
Per Sjödin; Johan Strömberg
Other key lawyers:
‘This is a team with very special and strong expertise in the insurance practice’.
‘Proactive and engaged in making the most for its clients’.
‘Very knowledgeable in the field’.
‘We feel very safe that we get best possible advice’.
‘Prompt, interested and easy to get in contact with’.
‘Deep and excellent knowledge within insurance’.
‘High availability and tailor made service’.
‘Always there to help’.
Zurich Insurance Plc (Ireland)
Ålands Ömsesidiga Försäkringsbolag
QBE Insurance Europe
HDI Global Specialty SE
- Representing Moderna Försäkringar in litigation concerning coverage under a global liability master insurance policy.
Setterwalls has a strong presence in the Swedish insurance market, and with a strategic focus on contentious matters, the practice also provides advisory services, encompassing transactional and regulatory mandates. On the contentious side, the firm is well known for litigation and arbitration proceedings, and disputes concerning insurance coverage. The team is headed up by veteran insurance practitioner Åke Fors, who is recommended for transactional work and arbitrations, and has particular experience in the maritime sector. Johannes Ericson is recommended for disputes and is experienced in commercial litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Samuel Pihl; Patrik Olivecrona; Magnus Rydberg; Johannes Ericson
‘Skilled lawyers who have great knowledge of the insurance business’.
‘Always very committed to the cases they work on and available for discussions at anytime’.
‘Johannes Ericson is knowledgeable, responsive and a pleasure to work with’.
‘Exemplary client service and top-quality advice’.
‘Magnus Rydberg is very responsive and produces advice of the highest quality’.
‘The team is very responsive, easy to work with and quick in responding to your needs’.
‘They are able to see the overall picture and consider issues in their advice outside the scope of what was initially discussed’.
‘Åke Fors is knowledgeable in the subject and has good market knowledge’.
National General Insurance
Euro Accident Livförsäkring AB
Small Business Consortium
UK P&I Club
North of England P&I Club
Steamship Mutual P&I Club
London P&I Club
AP7 (the Swedish Seventh governmental AP pension fund)
Third Point Reinsurance Ltd.
NRG Victory Reinsurance
- Advised Third Point Reinsurance Ltd. on a merger process with Sirius International Insurance Group, Ltd.
- Represented NRG Victory Reinsurance Ltd in a coverage dispute in the Stockholm District Court against the real property company KAB Friggagatan AB (KAB) under Construction Defect Insurance (CDI) where KAB claimed indemnification for several alleged defects in hundreds of apartments in a number of apartment blocks.
- Representing If Skadeförsäkring in litigation against a real estate development company concerning (i) insurance coverage and (ii) alleged negligent claims handling as a result of a major flooding in the Stockholm area in 2016.
Wistrand acts for both domestic and international insurers, and often as local counsel for international law firms, on Sweden-related insurance matters. It has particular experience in contentious matters pertaining to professional liability, product liability and coverage issues. Jörgen Eklund leads the practice alongside Anne-Marie Pouteaux; Eklund focuses on insurance and reinsurance litigation and arbitration proceedings, and Pouteaux, who is based in Gothenburg, is recommended for insolvency, insurance and shipping work.
‘Very understanding of our business’.
‘Pragmatic and work very fast’.
‘Good knowledge and fast response’.
‘Jörgen Eklund delivered very good and pragmatic legal advice in a situation where he had to explain and handle our own organisation and the counterpart’.
‘Excellent working skills’.
Kalix Wind AB
Tokio Marine HCC
Stena Oil AB
Stena Metall AB
- Advising Anticimex Insurance on both Nordic and Swedish co-insurance and re-insurance schemes and co-operations.
- Assisting 11 different underwriters with the review of transactions in relation to the underwriting of W&I insurance.
- Representing Kalix Wind AB in two cases against the Danish insurer Codan regarding insurance claims relating to a wind park, which involves a number of complex issues on policy interpretation and agreed coverage as well as technical issues related to root cause analysis.
Cirio Advokatbyrå AB fields a broad insurance practice which is integrated into the firm’s wider contracts, disputes, financial regulatory and corporate transactions team. It acts for insurers and intermediaries on advisory matters, such as policy wording and structuring issues, and also contentious matters, including insurance disputes and claims handling mandates. The team also handles M&A-related insurance work and is headed up by Carl-Olof Bouveng.
‘Competent and very nice to work with’.
‘Carl-Olof Bouveng is a key man of the team and delivers good quality’.
‘The team is highly responsive to queries (big or small)’.
‘Pragmatic and practical with the expression of a clear opinion’.
‘Excellent understanding of the UK system, and market and position’.
‘Highly experienced and responsive, with a great understanding of international aspects and differences’.
‘Practical and clear in opinions’.
Fortnox Försäkring AB
The Gothenburg-based insurance team at Advokatfirman Delphi is well known in the market for insurance-related M&A, advice around coverage and the investigation of loss, and disputes, including litigation and arbitration proceedings. Rolf Karlsson heads up the practice and is recommended for contentious matters, including the representation of clients before arbitration tribunals and in court, while Tobias Hamrin is a name to note for recourse disputes.
Rolf Karlsson; Tobias Hamrin
Other key lawyers:
‘Good reputation, knowledge and commercial vision’.
‘Delphi is one of the most respected firms in Sweden’.
‘Rolf Karlsson has a high level of expertise and is well respected’.
‘Rolf Karlsson is service-oriented and has a pragmatic approach’.
‘Tobias Hamrin has excellent technical and industry knowledge’
‘Tobias Hamrin handles complex liability cases’.
Svenska Kommun Forsakrings AB
Crawford & Company
Hammarskiöld is notable in the market for its transactional expertise and often advises clients on mutualisation and de-mutualisation mandates, portfolio transfers, W&I matters and regulatory issues. On the contentious side, the practice handles insurance and reinsurance disputes. The team acts for domestic and international insurance companies, and the Swedish Pensions Agency is also a notable client for the firm. Peder Hammarskiöld and Sandra Kaznova lead the team, while Lars Ulrichs transferred into an of counsel role.
Sandra Kaznova; Peder Hammarskiöld
Other key lawyers:
Lars Ulrichs; Erik Fahlgren
‘Very highly experienced lawyers with high flexibility and tailor made solutions’.
‘They provide a service with a high degree of experience in a personal way’.
‘In-depth knowledge of the legal aspects’.
‘Available to provide guidance both in relation to day-to-day corporate matters as well as in more specific dispute situations’.
‘Generally, the firm has a very good culture and is very focused on quality’.
‘I feel that there is a very high quality in all advice that leaves the firm’.
‘Erik Fahlgren is extremely knowledgeable with a very commercial approach’.
‘Sandra Kaznova has in-depth knowledge of any insurance dispute matters’.
The Swedish Pensions Agency
Hannover Re., HDI Global SE
AIG Europe Limited
Liberty Global Transaction Solutions
Söderberg & Partners
Kompass Advokat has ‘a personal but professional approach’ and offers clients ‘extensive knowledge and experience within insurance law’. It has a strong focus on advisory work and acts for insurance companies, insurance intermediaries, insurtech companies and other businesses on regulatory matters. The team is jointly led by Anna Lööv and recently promoted partner Kawin Mårtensson.
Other key lawyers:
‘They were responsive to our requests and they responded quickly to our questions’.
‘Kawin Mårtensson offered exceptional communication and guided us through the entire handling of the case and made sure to include us’.
‘The cases are well taken care of by a named person and advice is provided according to the specified time frames’.
‘They have good knowledge about and are up-to-date on new regulations’.
‘Kawin Mårtensson is extremely dedicated and his expertise within the field of insurance law is both deep and broad’.
‘Kawin Mårtensson is highly knowledgeable on insurance law and regulations’.
‘Anna Lööv has very long experience as a lawyer in the insurance industry, which is evident in the well-informed advice she gives’.
‘Anna Lööv quickly understands the issue and gives accurate advice’.
The Swedish Club
- Advised Dina försäkring on adaption to group supervision, outsourcing (including cloud outsourcing), and insurance distribution/IDD mandates.
- Advising PRI Pensionsgaranti on a long-standing and complex co-operation agreement concerning administration of pensions.
- Advising The Swedish Club on the provision of a comprehensive review of the company’s policy documents and the whole system of governance including Information and Communication Technology (ICT), outsourcing and compliance.
Under the leadership of Caroline Landerfors, who is ‘really the cream of the crop when it comes to legal analyses’, Magnusson Advokatbyrå is recommended for insurance distribution issues, group insurance programmes, policy wordings and the handling of claims. Landerfors has considerable experience in insurance law and the related areas of data privacy and financial services. Robert Karlsson is a name to note for regulatory matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very user-friendly and responsive’.
‘Caroline Landerfors has provided excellent support and her knowledge is outstanding’.
‘Caroline Landerfors is one of the most professional, versatile, flexible and pleasant lawyers I have had the privilege to work with’.
‘Caroline Landerfors is both responsive to the needs of the specific business, as well as straightforward (yet respectful) when she has to be’.
‘Caroline Landerfors is easy to cooperate with and a true source of knowledge’.
‘Magnusson are very skilled in insurance law and offer reasonable fees’.
‘They are strong in communication, listening and involvement with the client’.
‘I appreciate very much the humble tone, the honest approach in their evaluation of the cases and the high level of professionalism’.
Söderberg & Partners Insurance Consulting
Bought By Many/ManyPets
W.R. Berkley Insurance
Navigators/Lloyds Insurance Company
- Acted as interim chief legal counsel for insurance company ICA Försäkring.
- Acted as coverage counsel for AXA XL in multijurisdictional D&O liability cases.
- Advised insurtech company Omocom on its expansion and growth in the Swedish market.
With an international network that includes offices in London and Oslo, Advokatfirmaet Schjødt is well equipped to handle cross-border insurance matters and works closely with practitioners in other jurisdictions. The firm handles a broad range of insurance and reinsurance mandates, including corporate, regulatory and commercial issues, and litigation. Practice head Peter Kullgren acts for domestic and international insurance companies.
Other key lawyers:
Anna Wahlbom; Ola Hansson
‘Deep knowledge in insurance’.
‘Provide good support by looking ahead and assessing the next steps in the process’.
‘Dedicated and easy to reach’.
‘Good knowledge of the regulatory and legal insurance framework’.
‘The firm’s banking & finance team has deep knowledge and experience of insurance law’.
‘Partners Peter Kullgren and Anna Wahlbom stand out for their dedication and expertise within the field of insurance law’.
Futur Pension (previously Danica Pension)
Kollektivavtalsinformation Sverige AB
Förhandlings- och samverkansrådet PTK
Unionen Medlemsförsäkring AB
Anticimex Försäkringar AB
Medicover Försäkringar AB (publ)
SPP Pension och Försäkring AB
SCOR Sweden Re
Swedbank Försäkring AB
Aktiebolaget Akademikerförsäkring AB
Idun Liv Försäkring AB
Vector Nordic AB
LRF Försäkring Skadeförsäkringsaktiebolag
FörsäkringsGirot Sverige AB
- Advised Swedbank Försäkring AB on a matter regarding the interpretation of the Solvency II regulatory framework and the calculation and stresses made within the SCR.
- Advised Svenska Läkemedelsförsäkringen AB on its sole insurance product, i.e., a pharmaceuticals insurance, in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic and the implications thereof.
- Advised Unionen Medlemsförsäkring AB on its sole insurance product, i.e., unemployment insurance, in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic and the implications thereof.
White & Case Advokat AB acts for major players in the Swedish insurance market in disputes before all levels of the Swedish court system, including the Supreme Court. The group handles both domestic and international matters, and is well versed in insurance arbitration proceedings. Anders Reldén leads the practice and is recommended for D&O liability insurance and construction insurance disputes. Counsel Niklas Helmer is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Anders Reldén stands out as one of the best lawyers in tort law and insurance in Sweden’.
‘Niklas Helmer is an excellent lawyer’.
Trygg-Hansa Försäkring filial
- Secured a victory in the Swedish Supreme Court for insurance provider Trygg-Hansa Försäkring Filial against electrical grid operator E.ON.
- Represented Nordic NDT AB in a dispute with Finnish construction company Normek Oy over claims under a contract for inspection of Tele2 Arena.