Energy in Sweden
The team at Cirio Advokatbyrå AB, which is led by the highly praised Jörgen Möller, handles the full range of high-end energy transactions and developments; it recently advised on divestments, acquisitions and project financing negotiations including power purchase agreements for clients in the onshore wind, district heating and biogas sectors. The group also provides regulatory support on the permitting, procurement and construction phases of projects. Other key contacts include senior associates Maria Hanbo and Philip Tonkin.
‘Cirio has one of the most experienced energy teams on the Swedish market, with practical experience of the legal issues involved in successfully executing energy projects and transactions.‘
‘Jörgen Möller is one of the most experienced energy partners in Sweden. He combines good legal knowledge of the key issues with a thorough understanding of the practicalities of executing or acquiring an energy project or asset. He has worked well on short and demanding time frames to deliver successful transactions for clients.‘
JP Morgan Asset Management
Greystone Managed Investments
Scandinavian Biogas Group
CapMan Infra Oy
NH Investment & Securities Co.
NH-Amundi Asset Management Co.
- Advised Svevind on the development and sale of the 750MW Önusberget wind farm to Luxcara.
- Assisted the main shareholders of Sustainable Energy Solutions Sweden with the reverse takeover of IQS Energi Komfort.
- Advising ENERCON on the development and sale of the 250MW Ersträsk wind farm.
DLA Piper is a leading name for onshore wind power projects; practice head Peter Ihrfelt advises Swedish and international developers on the development, construction and divestment of high-value projects across Europe. Energy sector financing is a core strength for Björn Sjöberg, who acts on significant renewable energy investments and handles financing and refinancing transactions. The practice also works closely with the real estate and environment departments to negotiate land acquisitions and other contractual arrangements for the development of power plants and other energy projects.
SoleTech Energy Sweden
Enligt Renewable Energy
- Advised OX2 on the development and subsequent €300m divestment of the 220MW Åndberg wind farm to Ardian.
- Advised Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure on its €500m financing of the 475MW Nysäter wind farm project.
- Advised Irish renewable energy investment company NTR on its €180m acquisition of a portfolio of onshore wind projects.
Foyen Advokatfirma’s leading energy team counts high-profile domestic and international names in the renewable energy (particularly onshore and offshore wind power), natural gas, electricity and biogas industries on its client roster. Key names include group co-heads Pia Pehrson and Andreas Lindström, and Jacob Hamilton, who bring notable in-house expertise to licensing and concession mandates, negotiations with property owners and NGOs, turbine procurements and infrastructure and energy-trading agreements. Senior associate Caterina Carreman assists clients with planning permit application processes. The practice also collaborates with the corporate department to handle financing and M&A transactions in the energy sector; it recently advised on investments into battery production facilities.
Pia Pehrson; Andreas Lindström
‘Pia Pehrson has a great ability to suggest strategic steps and always gives quick feedback.‘
- Negotiated the supply and service agreements for OX2’s construction of four wind power farms in Finland.
- Assisted InnoEnergy with its investment in a large-scale battery production facility.
- Advising Swedegas on the renewal of natural gas permits for a high-value Swedish pipeline.
The energy practice at Mannheimer Swartling handles large-scale financing arrangements, M&A transactions and divestments for global green energy and wind power investors, financial institutions and foreign governments. The group regularly acts in contentious mandates including gas-supply agreement claims, gas price arbitration proceedings and energy and production-sharing disputes. Recent regulatory work includes permitting issues, consent processes, energy production work and land acquisition mandates. The team comprises a cross-section of practitioners from the corporate, environment and finance practices including Emma Olnäs Fors, Andreas Zettergren and Therese Strömshed.
Emma Olnäs Fors; Andreas Zettergren; Therese Strömshed
‘Super knowledgeable, pragmatic, efficient.‘
‘Per Asbrinkis super knowledgeable and always one step ahead.‘
Green Investment Group
Eolus AB (including subsidiaries)
E.ON AB (including subsidiaries)
Skanska Wind Power Invest
Engie S.A. (former Gaz de France)
The Republic of Kazakhstan
Stena Renewable AB
E.ON. Sverige AB
DNB Bank ASA
- Advised E.ON on the 80% sale of its Nysäter project in Västernorrland, Sweden, to a fund managed by Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure Partners.
- Advised Green Investment Group and GE Capital Global Energy Investment on the 75% shareholding divestment in North Pole Vindkraft Holding to CGNEE Sweden Holding.
- Acted for SEB as lender on the financing of the construction of a wind park comprising six wind turbine generators.
The highly praised team of energy professionals at Setterwalls advises international investors and developers on the full breadth of transactional and regulatory issues. Jonas Frii focuses on high-value acquisitions and divestments of onshore wind farm projects across Sweden. Anders Linnerborg and Tove Andersson are go-to names for regulatory issues including emissions rights (including applications for the European Union Emission Trade Scheme), energy tax relief, permit applications for multidisciplinary power plant projects and regulatory disputes. Martin Sandgren also contributes to the practice
Jonas Frii; Anders Linnerborg; Tove Andersson; Martin Sandgren
‘Setterwalls has in-depth knowledge of the wind energy industry.‘
‘The team’s strengths are their flexibility, rapidity and confidence in their work. In my experience, the team has taken every question with great seriousness and engagement no matter how specific or difficult it is.‘
‘One of the legal teams that truly understands renewables in Sweden.‘
‘A full-service firm with an excellent track record in energy services and permitting.‘
‘The team around Jonas Frii has in-depth knowledge of the market and all legal aspects related to wind energy projects in the Nordics. Jonas Frii provides his advice with a very pragmatic approach and is strong in upholding his client’s position in negotiations. He is probably one of the best lawyers available in the Nordics for renewable energy transactions.‘
‘Tove Andersson is a very competent and proficient person. She pays great attention when presented with different problems and related questions. The feedback received is admirable as it gives a new perspective of the subject and relevant suggestions for solving the problems she has been presented with. Tove has behaved professionally and with desirable commitment throughout the entire work process. She has always been easy to reach and quick to respond.‘
‘Tove Andersson is an outstanding lawyer with expert knowledge in energy and environmental law. She has an excellent ability to quickly understand the issue at hand, break it down to affected legislation and propose action on how the matter should be handled. She has great interpersonal relationships and is an appreciated speaker and panellist who shares her experience in an understandable way for the audience.‘
‘Jonas Frii cuts to the chase in a diplomatic way so no time is wasted.‘
‘Elin Hjort always keeps the ball moving and mediates intelligently so solutions are found.‘
‘Mattias Wiklund is technically very strong and always seems to be one step ahead.‘
Marguerite (The 2020 European Fund for Energy, Climate Change & Infrastructure)
Ewz (city of Zürich renewable energy investment vehicle)
Stena Renewable AB
Platina Energy Partners
- Advised Stena Renewable on a number of regulatory matters regarding wind farms.
- Represented Sydvatten in a post-permit process regarding a compensation claim of €130m from Statkraft due to loss of electrical power.
- Assisted Arise with its acquisition and subsequent sale of the Enviksbergets wind farm.
Key investors in the Swedish renewable energy and wind power sectors instruct Advokatfirman Vinge on high-value project acquisitions, divestments and financing transactions. Christoffer Thalin, Peter Sundgren and Johan Göthberg handle the full range of issues including permit applications, power purchase agreements, licensing mandates and property acquisitions. The team’s strong regulatory expertise benefits clients in the utility distribution sector, with notable work including tariff regulation challenges, and subsidy and pricing mandates. The team also assists clients in the oil and gas sectors.
‘A well-known energy team with particular focus on renewables. Responsive and solutions oriented.‘
‘Christoffer Thalin is an outstanding individual in terms of energy project expertise. Good negotiation skills, well educated, charismatic and solutions oriented.‘
Bergvik Skog AB
BlackRock Renewable Finance (Dublin) Limited
AMF Pensionsförsäkringar AB
Agnico Eagle Mines Limited
Allianz Capital Partners
VKS Vindkraft Sverige AB (part of the German WKN Group)
ScanVind / Scanergy
First State Investments
- Advising Ellevio on its acquisition of the remaining 40% interest in grid operator Laforsen Produktionsnät.
- Advised a fund managed by BlackRock on the acquisition of the 37 MW ready-to-build Enviksberget wind farm.
- Swedish counsel to China General Nuclear European Energy on its acquisition of a 75% stake in the 650MW Markbygden project from GE Capital and Green Investment Group.
Hammarskiöld handles energy-related M&A, investments and divestment transactions, with recent work comprising mandates in the wind power, electricity distribution and battery cell production fields. Jakob Falkman heads up the team and provides regulatory support to clients in the oil and gas, biofuels and energy transmission industries. Lars Ulrichs is the key contact for energy-related commercial disputes.
Folksam Mutual Insurance
Fuchs Petolub SE
AIG Europe Ltd
- Handling Alpiq’s investment in the Tormoseröd wind power plant project in the southwest of Sweden.
- Advised Neste on national support schemes and regulations concerning biofuels.
- Advised Fuchs Petrolub on the acquisition of Statoil Fuel & Retail Lubricants from Couche-Tard Luxembourg.
Energy producers, suppliers, investors and contractors frequently instruct the Advokatfirman Lindahl KB energy team on the full scope of energy matters. Malmö-based Per-Anders Bengtsson and Helsingborg-based Per Mildner jointly head the team and handle turnkey energy infrastructure projects, cooperation agreements for power station investments, leasing and permit applications for wind farm projects and energy trading regulatory support. The team also routinely appears before the administrative courts in energy disputes; it recently acted in congestion revenues and revenue frame issues under the Swedish Electricity Act.
Per-Anders Bengtsson; Per Mildner
‘The firm has a high level of competence and experience in energy regulation. Their legal processes make the team a valuable and desirable advisor.‘
‘Has a devotion to the task and high availability, combined with high competence and cheerfulness, creating a good environment for clients.‘
Perstorp Fjärrvärme AB
Forsmarks Kraftgrupp AB
Oskarshamn Energi AB
Sundsvall Energi AB
Baltic Cable AB
Ljusdal Energi AB
Hancock Natural Resource Group Inc.
Rabbalshede Kraft AB
Göteborg Energi Gasnät AB
Kraftringen Nät AB
Weum Gas AB
- Advising on a number of projects for E.ON including a major recycling project and drafting an accession agreement for Eolus Vind’s wind farm development.
- Advising Ljusdal Energi on the procurement of a turnkey, bioenergy combined heat and power plant.
- Advising Project Möckelhult on the construction lease and establishment of a wind farm on a property in eastern Sweden.
Ramberg Advokater’s energy practice acts for a client list of high-profile names in the utilities, wind power, green energy and biofuels sectors. Led by Maria Hagberg, the team advises on sale and purchase agreements, energy transmission and distribution negotiations, development projects, energy-related M&A, permit applications and procurement strategies. Hagberg and Amanda Starfelt also provide regulatory and legislative advice to public sector bodies. Torbjörn Claeson and Johan Palmgren are other key contacts.
Roschier’s head of dispute resolution Johan Sidklev handles a range of international disputes in the energy sector pertaining to tariff adjustments, oil and gas exploration rights issues, and supply and transit agreements for natural gas work; he also recently advised high-profile petroleum companies. Björn Winström leads on M&A transactions in the energy sector, while Johan Häger handles financial restructuring exercises in the wind farm sector.
Björn Winström; Johan Sidklev; Johan Häger
‘The Roschier energy practice has an extremely strong partner collective, both when it comes to understanding our business and providing timely legal advice and solutions to complex matters.‘
‘Björn Winström probably has the best knowledge of the infrastructure sector in Sweden and manages his team with excellence. Marcus Hedén and Lisa Granbom Koski both have an extremely well-developed sense for contributing to key commercial decisions. We highly appreciate their no nonsense approach, but also know that we can trust them for advice on highly technical and innovative legal issues.‘
First National Petroleum Corporation Texas, USA
ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS
BE Bio Energy Group AB
APG Asset Management
- Representing First National Petroleum Corporation in a dispute against a leading Russian oil and gas supplier owned by Russia’s energy giant Rosneft.
- Representing Ostchem in a dispute against Odessa Port Plant of Ukraine concerning natural gas deliveries.
- Acted on Alelion Energy Systems’ SEK135bn rights issuance.
Heading up Magnusson Advokatbyrå’s energy practice, Jonas Bergquist advises on M&A projects in the energy sector, investments in renewable infrastructure projects including wind farms, and emissions-trading arrangements. Alongside a range of energy investors and developers, the client roster also includes a number of public bodies; Bergquist advises the Swedish Energy Agency on regulatory and corporate matters.
Swedish Energy Agency
Altus Capital Ltd.
Advokatfirman Oebergs AB
Boutique firm Advokatfirman Oebergs AB specialises in transactions in the energy and infrastructure sectors. The firm advises on developments, investments and sales of cross-border projects across the oil and gas, hydropower and wind power industries. Senior partners Björn Öberg and Anna Öeberg are the key contacts.