With substantial expertise in the wind industry, Cirio Advokatbyrå AB is active across the full spectrum of energy projects, handling project development issues, financing work and transactional mandates. In a recent highlight, the team advised OX2 on the €245m sale of a portfolio of three wind farms in Finland. Other key areas of work include advising on hydropower, liquified biogas and grid matters, construction projects and power purchase agreements. Jörgen Möller heads up the energy team, which also fields senior counsel Maria Hanbo and managing associate Fredrik Morfeldt.
Energy in Sweden
Markbygden Net AB
Scandinavian Biogas Fuels International AB
The Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited (TRIG)
Kabeko Kraft AB
- Advised Downing in the €64.5m acquisition of a portfolio of hydropower plants from Fortum.
- Advised OX2 in the €245m sale of a portfolio of three windfarms located in Finland, with a total capacity of 171 MW, to Renewable Power Capital.
- Assisted Scandinavian Biogas with a transaction including the purchase of all shares in a company operating the world’s largest facility for production of liquified biogas, the SEK586m private placement and listing of the client on Nasdaq First North Premier, and the purchase of a transportation company to facilitate its transportation of substrates to biogas plants.
Advokatfirma DLA Piper Sweden KB’s ‘very experienced’ practice ‘takes responsibility for the whole project and doesn’t miss any details’, excelling in wind power investment and development mandates, energy regulation work and financing matters. Peter Ihrfelt heads up the department and is praised as ‘absolutely top class’ by clients, Björn Sjöberg focuses on wind power finance matters, and Mats Eriksson has notable expertise in real estate and regulatory law. Johan Forsling was promoted to the partnership in mid-2021 and primarily advises on the regulatory and planning elements of wind farm development projects.
‘They are very experienced and well familiar with the market, solid comrades on the battlefield.’
‘Peter Ihrfeldt stands out as active within wind. Peter is a gentleman and very likable. He is a skilled energy lawyer, absolutely top class.’
‘They stand out for their competence in law but also their ability to adjust to case-specific situations and people. Also an easy-goingness coupled with professionalism that is very valuable when coordinating a multi-disciplinary team with the customer. Johan Forsling is exceptional in knowledge, judgement and businessman-ship.’
Enlight Renewable Energy
SolTech Energy Sweden
Foyen Advokatfirma’s ‘extremely well-organised and structured’ practice is highly active in energy projects spanning nuclear, wind and hydroelectric power and gas and biogas matters. Team co-head Pia Pehrson divides her time between Stockholm and Gothenburg and is highly regarded for her work in matters spanning energy, environmental and real estate law including permits, developments and exploitation issues. Fellow co-head Andreas Lindström in Malmö and Tomas Rudenstam in Stockholm also have expertise in energy-related technology matters, and senior associate Caterina Carreman handles permit and concession applications.
‘In-depth knowledge, not only of the legal aspects, but also the market and environmental issues related to offshore wind.’
‘Pia Pehrson is dedicated and gives immediate feedback on issues raised. She understands all aspects of offshore wind and gives both legal advice and is exceptional in terms of stakeholder management on our behalf.’
‘Good knowledge in the field of energy. Quick replies.’
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne S.A.
Vattenfall Vattenkraft AB
Nordion Energi (Swedegas/Weum)
- Advising Equinor on its application for exploration permits and preparation of permit applications for further offshore surveys in the Baltic Sea in connection with the establishment of offshore wind farms.
- Advising Ox2 Wind AB and SCA Energy AB in connection with the erection of 73 wind turbines in the Municipalities of Bräcke och Ragunda in northern Sweden.
- Advising NTR in connection with its investment in 20 wind turbines in Jönköping.
With ‘great experience and deep sector expertise’, Mannheimer Swartling handles the full spectrum of energy related mandates encompassing production, distribution, marketing and sales issues regarding electricity, oil, gas, heating and cooling projects. The group is jointly lead by Emma Olnäs Fors, Andreas Zettergren and Therese Strömshed, who are based in Gothenburg, Stockholm and Malmö respectively; Fors focuses on M&A transactions and energy projects, Zettergren handles project finance work and Strömshed has expertise in environment-related issues. Per Åsbrink is also recommended for transactional work, particularly related to wind power developments, and Johan Ljungberg is experienced in transactions involving state and municipality-owned assets.
‘I have mainly worked with the team in relation to renewable energy (project financing) where I believe they have great experience and deep sector expertise.’
‘Andreas Zettergren is one of Sweden’s best legal advisers in relation to renewable energy financing and contracting.’
‘The team works very well across all areas of speciality. Very good and professional advice to operational teams as well as management decision material based on legal advice. MSA also assist by actively driving correspondence with local authorities and thereby compile all relevant information and background for their client to take relevant decisions.’
Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited (TRIG)
H2 Green Steel (H2GS AB)
Vattenfall Vindkraft Sverige AB
Eolus Vind AB
Stena Renewable AB
Stockholm Exergi AB
Green Investment Group
- Advised RES on its divestment of the wind farm project Björnberget, at 372 MW, situated in Ånge, Västernorrland county, Sweden, to the German independent asset manager Prime Capital (by investing from its newly launched Prime Green Energy Infrastructure Fund) and the Tel-Aviv listed independent power producer Enlight Renewable Energy.
- Advised Infracapital, the infrastructure equity investment arm of M&G Plc, in connection with the divestment of 100% stake in Falbygdens Energi AB to Nordion Energi AB.
- Advised the Swedish green impact company H2 Green Steel in connection with a $105m series A financing round.
Roschier’s ‘available, friendly and professional’ team focuses on big-ticket work spanning energy sector M&A and joint venture transactions, energy disputes, greenfield projects and financing issues relating to transactions and developments. The team is also active in grid-related matters, power asset transactions and restructuring mandates. Björn Winström and Johan Sidklev jointly lead the practice and handle corporate work and contentious matters respectively. Other key names include Markus Olsson , who regularly acts for private equity clients in the energy space, and counsel Dan Hanqvist, who focuses on regulatory work.
‘Roschier’s energy team headed by Björn Winström is probably the best M&A team in the Swedish market. It has a unique understanding of the commercial environment that is combined with state of the art legal advice around the clock. The team is always available, friendly and professional. It’s a pure pleasure to work with them.’
‘Björn Winström works harder than everyone else. He combines a thorough knowledge of the market, with great legal advice and a no-nonsense approach.’
APG Asset Management
BE Bio Energy Group AB
ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS
First National Petroleum Corporation, Texas, USA
First State Investments
Kingdom of Sweden
Ostchem Holding, Limited
- Advising Fortum, a leading energy company, on the sale of its 50% ownership in Stockholm Exergi Holding AB to a consortium of investors consisting of APG, PGGM, Alecta, Keva and AXA.
- Advising Fortum on the carveout and divestment of eight Swedish hydropower plants to Downing LLP.
- Representing the Kingdom of Sweden in a dispute under the Energy Charter Treaty brought by Australian mining company Aura Energy Ltd arising out of Sweden’s decision to amend its mineral legislation in 2018 so as to prohibit uranium mining.
The ‘fantastic’ team at Setterwalls provides ‘razor-sharp legal advice with ease’, leveraging its ‘deep industry experience in relation to all aspects of renewable energy projects’, particularly wind energy matters including permitting work and environmental issues. Beyond wind, the group also has experience in biofuel, battery storage, district heating, nuclear, solar and hydroelectricity mandates. In Malmö, transactional specialist Jonas Frii and environmental expert Tove Andersson lead the practice alongside Martin Sandgren in Stockholm, who is a key contact for international energy and infrastructure projects.
‘Setterwalls is one of the most experienced law firms in Sweden in the energy sector and consequently they can offer razor sharp legal service with ease. A strong customer focus in combination with high partner attention enables Setterwalls to be a rock in stormy waters, if you need one, as well as a swift service provider in day to day operations. Simply a full fledged law firm covering everything an industrial player like us needs.’
‘Very competent, and service minded partners and associates, bringing a lot of new ideas “to the table”, very valuable when on a transition journey. We truly appreciate working with Setterwalls.’
‘Jonas Frii’s team is more than a well oiled machine – they are up with the best in Europe.’
‘Jonas Frii is the best energy lawyer in the Swedish market – if it comes to energy transactions there is no-one in the market that can match his capabilities, negotiation skills, legal and business acumen and stamina.’
‘The team is fantastic, they lead us through multi-billion kronor deals with perfect diligence and in an astute, extremely business oriented way. Must also say that the interpersonal relationships are outstanding.’
‘From a customer perspective, one of Setterwalls strengths lies in seamless team work. Offering the right competence on time, as well as a dynamic up- and down-scaling of resources, as needed, goes with ease. Jonas Frii, as partner, stays close to the customer and orchestrates elegantly the work of the team. It has always been a pleasure to work with the different experts. Just to mention one, Johan Göransson, did a great job.’
‘Tove Andersson – Very efficient, direct and possesses an impressive capability to identify the core of a problem or what could be relevant to us as a client. Jonas Frii – A great strategist with an unquestionably determination to put our needs first. Bruno Neumann – Very reliant with a first class service, providing relevant and clever advice extremely swiftly. Johan Göransson – Very reliant and structured. A great capability to identify relevant issues. A proactive approach.’
‘Setterwalls has a broad team with very experienced lawyers in the Energy sector. Both Jonas Frii and Martin Sandgren are excellent lawyers and really know the industry.’
Marguerite (The 2020 European Fund for Energy, Climate Change & Infrastructure)
ewz (City of Zürich renewable energy investment vehicle)
Stena Renewable AB
Platina Energy Partners Ltd.
Rabbalshede Kraft AB
CEE Group (Brookfield Asset Management)
Eurowind Energy AB
Norddeutsche Landesbank (Nord/LB)
Ringhals (nuclear power plant)
SBM Offshore Inc.
Capital Dynamics Clean Energy Infrastructure
Octopus Renewables Infrastructure Trust
Commerz Real AG
Axel Johnson Aktiebolag
Martin & Servera
RWE Renewables Sweden AB
Hydro REIN Invest
Enlight Renewable Energy Ltd (ENLT)
Prime Green Energy Investment Fund
- Representing Arise AB in two complex permit processes, as well as advising on an agreement with The Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited and funds managed by InfraRed for the sale of the wind farm projects Ranasjöhöjden and Salsjöhöjden, in total comprising 242 MW of renewable energy.
- Advised Axel Johnson Aktiebolag in connection with a long-term financial power purchase agreement with Alight AB.
- Successfully assisted Tvinnesheda Energi AB, a company within the Stena Renewable sphere, in a guiding case regarding final turbine dimensions for a wind farm in southern Sweden at the Land and Environment Court of Appeal.
Advokatfirman Vinge’s department is jointly lead by Peter Sundgren in Stockholm and Christoffer Thalin in Malmö, who both excel in energy-related M&A transactions and greenfield acquisitions. Environmental specialist Johan Cederblad and transactional expert Johan Göthberg also contribute to the practice, which has particular expertise in the wind power sector and energy regulatory mandates. Noteworthy clients include Equinor, Fortum and Ikea Finland; the team advised the latter on its takeover of three of the four wind farms in Project Castle, Finland.
‘Christoffer Thalin has a deep knowledge of the energy industry. He is able to guide the client through complex negotiations and to focus on the most important criticalities.’
‘Understands the differences in business culture.’
AMF Pensionsförsäkringar AB
VKS Vindkraft Sverige AB (part of the German WKN Group)
IKEA / Ingka Group
Cloudberry / Scanergy
First State Investments
Manor Investment S.A.
re:cap Global Investors
- Acted for Manor Investment S.A. and Ernst Rosén Invest AB on their divestment (through a controlled auction) of their aggregate majority stake in the wind power development company Rabbalshede Kraft AB.
- Assisted Alecta on its SEK1.6bn investment in Stena Renewables.
- Advised Ikea Finland Oy on the takeover of three out of four wind farms (Verhonkulma, Långmossa and Ribäcken in Finland) in Project Castle, Finland.
Under the leadership of transactional specialist Jakob Falkman , Hammarskiöld’s energy and public utilities practice handles a broad range of cross-border matters including transactions, litigation and regulatory mandates. The group is also active in investment mandates and recently advised Scania on its investments into Northvolt relating to lithium ion batteries and its collaboration with H2 Green Steel relating to the construction of a green steel production plant. Erik Fahlgren is also a key name for M&A transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Sunna Group AB
Scandinavian Credit Fund
Folksam Mutual Insurance
Fuchs Petrolub SE
BNP Paribas, Morgan Stanley and SEB
Lietuvos Energija (Lithuania)
Spark Legal Network
- Advised Scania on its strategic equity investments, industrial collaborations and long term supply agreements for lithium ion batteries, with Swedish “green energy” mega start-up Northvolt.
- Advised a consortium of banks on all legal aspects of the Swedish law financing of one of Europe’s largest onshore windfarms Björnberget in the Northern part of Sweden.
- Advised leading truck manufacturer Scania on the industrial collaboration with H2 Green Steel regarding funding and constructing a “green” steel production plant.
Advokatfirman Lindahl KB’s ‘very service-minded’ practice is jointly led by Per-Anders Bengtsson and Per Mildner from Malmö and Helsingborg respectively; Bengtsson is a key contact for power plant projects and Mildner acts on power generation and transmission issues. Mikael Wärnsby is also active in the space, particularly regarding energy facility permitting and licensing matters. Clients include energy producers, investors, lenders, developers, manufacturers and energy suppliers.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very competent and has a great ability to put themselves into our (the customer’s) perspectives and needs. Lindahls also has many different competences in their staff to use depending on the issue and needs.’
‘Good and easy to have a dialogue with. Good adviser. The employees are available and competent.’
‘I contract Per Mildner, as he has a unique insight in contract regarding products, including installation. My input is that Per Mildner is an excellent counterpart, as he has a genuine interest in how to apply the legal issues to support the technical solutions, which makes the contracts well suited for its intention. Easy access and professional help to a beneficial cost, bringing value add to me as a customer.’
‘Per Mildner delivers a perfect solution and adds value to the negotiations by thinking out of the box, within demands. Excellent work!’
‘Vast experience in regulatory disputes regarding electricity network.’
‘Partner Mikael Wärnsby is easy to work with, pragmatic but still analytical.’
European Energy A/S
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne S.A.
Baltic Cable AB
Katrinefors Kraftvärme AB
Grönhult Wind Farm Project
Perstorp Fjärrvärme AB
Forsmarks Kraftgrupp AB
Oskarshamn Energi AB
Sundsvall Energi AB
Eolus Vind AB
Växjö Energi AB
Uddevalla Energi AB
Borgholm Energi AB
Trelleborgs Energi AB
- Advised E.ON Group in connection with its divestment of E.ON Biofor Sverige AB, including majority positions in Falkenbergs Biogas AB and Söderåsens Bioenergi AB, to St1 Sverige AB.
- Advised the Polish state energy company PSE S.A. on legal issues in connection with drafting a co-operation agreement with Svenska Kraftnät on the upgrading of HVDC stations for the SwePol Link power line, which runs between Poland and Sweden.
- Advises BeGreen A/S on its establishment regarding all its business in Sweden, initially with the planned establishment of two large photovoltaic power stations in Sweden.
As a key name in the renewable energy space, MAQS Advokatbyrå has notable knowledge of the wind and water power industries in the Nordics, acting for a range of energy suppliers, domestic and multinational corporations and government agencies. Practice head Mikael Kowal is highly active in wind power transactions while Jessica Svantesson focuses on real estate-related work. The team also works closely with the firm’s environmental department in relation land exploitation issues and environmental damages cases.
‘Mikael Kowal has been outstanding in his support to our needs and made the necessary time available to address pressing and less pressing matters we referred to MAQS’s attention.’
‘We have worked with MAQS for the purpose of wind turbine procurement contract and what makes MAQS unique are their fantastic people. They always strive to gain an understanding of the issue, even though it may be bordering on technical in nature in order to provide the best legal advice. They have the experience and the flexibility to propose different solutions. It has been excellent working with them. The work carried out for us was done in a team with different areas of responsibility and it is clear they support each other well enabling progress.’
‘They aim to find solutions to support the work of agreeing complex technical commercial issues during contract negotiation. They have a solution based approach based on knowledge and experience with the subject, and they are always open to increasing their knowledge. This makes them excellent to work with in challenging projects, where the timeframe is limited and the complexity high.’
‘The volume of work they handle in the energy practice makes their team quite a valuable resource of accumulated knowledge and experience.’
‘Quick at understanding client’s needs, accessible and pragmatic.’
‘I work especially close to Mikael Kowal which is my contact at MAQS. Mikael is one of the sharpest I know in deal making and closing a deal. We have been in numerous situations which have seemed hopeless but still Mikael has managed to turn the situation and made it beneficial for me and my company in the end. He is a real closer.’
‘Cecilia Rossing is incredibly professional and easy to work with and sees many solutions, she has also brought her colleagues together to meet our challenges in a very good way, I want to give Cecilia our warmest recommendations.’
‘Mikael Kowal is our main partner and he really simply is fantastic!’
Momentum Energy Sweden AB
Rabbalshede Kraft AB
Dala Vind AB
Liquid Wind AB
EnBW Sweden AB and EnBW Sweden Wind AB
- Assisted Rabbalshede Kraft AB with its first investment abroad.
- Represented Lennartsson trading Sweden AB in the sale of all the shares in H. Lennartsson Energi AB, a company owning a district heating facility, to Solör Bioenergi AB.
- Assisted Liquid Wind with numerous agreements in relation to the development of the first facility in Örnsköldsvik.
Advokatfirman Oebergs AB
Boutique firm Advokatfirman Oebergs AB specialises in infrastructure projects and project finance work, particularly relating to wind power projects in Sweden and abroad. The team is also active in the hydropower, solar and gas sectors and district heating projects and greenfield issues. Björn Öberg heads up the practice and handles the structuring, finance and sale of energy projects.
‘A profound knowledge of the energy sector leading to very practical and thorough advice. Fast response and turnaround time.’
‘The firm is very competent and reliable in its field of business. It has years of experience regarding large infrastructure business agreements and has up to date experience of many of the companies with which we conduct business.’
‘We especially appreciate Björn Öberg for being highly available and decisive in critical moments of negotiations. He really helps in our decision making.’
Hocksjön Vind AB
SIC Stenger & Ibsen Constructing Holding A/S
Eurowind Energy AB
Inlandsbanan AB (IBAB)
Mirova Eurofideme 4
Alpiq Ecopower AG
- Represented the infrastructure fund John Laing Investment Ltd in its divestment of the wind power plant Rammeldalsberget to the Swedish wind power company Slitevind.
- Assisted Hocksjön Vind AB in a large-scale wind power investment including 23 turbines from the Nordex Group.