Cirio Advokatbyrå AB maintains its leading role on energy matters, advising a combination of major domestic and international clients, especially on matters concerning wind power and grid expansion work. The firm handles project development and financing issues, large-scale transactions and divestments, and also demonstrates considerable expertise in renewable energy mandates; it has been active in EPC contract drafting and negotiations, turbine supply agreements and PPAs. Practice head Jörgen Möller works with a number of public and private corporates on wind power transactions, as well as representing developers, investors and lenders in disputes, while Peter Högström has a strong track record in wind and geothermal matters. Maria Hanbo continues to be a key player within the practice, with considerable knowledge of the regulatory and legal issues surrounding the permitting, procurement and financing of wind farms, biogas plants and district heating networks. Fredrik Morfeldt focuses on renewable energy developments and transactions, particularly wind, solar and hydropower projects.
Energy in Sweden
Cirio Advokatbyrå AB
Other key lawyers:
Peter Högström; Maria Hanbo; Fredrik Morfeldt
‘A well composed team with approachable partners.’
Markbygden Net AB
Scandinavian Biogas Fuels International AB
Kabeko Kraft AB
Switch Nordic Green
CapMan Nordic Infra Management
Advokatfirma DLA Piper Sweden KB
Advokatfirma DLA Piper Sweden KB continues to lead on top energy sector mandates, most notably wind power projects, and handles issues from the development stage through to operational work, including transactional, financing, regulatory, permitting and grid issues. OX2 has repeatedly sought the firm’s advice across a number of projects, with the renewable energy developer representing just one of a growing list of domestic and international clients. Team head Peter Ihrfelt maintains his position as one of the sector’s most experienced names, focusing on wind and power transactions. Björn Sjöberg has extensive corporate M&A and financing knowledge which he leverages on complex energy acquisitions, and regularly works alongside Mats Eriksson who has notable energy-related real estate and regulatory expertise. Johan Forsling is active in disputes, strategic planning issues and environmental regulatory advice, while Alexander Häggkvist uses his experience as a former judge of the Land and Environmental Court of Appeal to provide insight into permitting processes. Tim Hagberg is also active within the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Björn Sjöberg; Mats Eriksson; Johan Forsling; Alexander Häggkvist; Tim Hagberg
‘They take full responsibility of the strategics behind a case. We can depend on them to deliver a good and complete solution on time.’
‘On time, reliable, and offer strategically smart solutions. They also have a good understanding of our business and what works for us.’
‘Very experienced and broad team.’
‘Björn Sjöberg is very skilled and always pragmatic.’
‘Peter Ihrfeldt is a seasoned sector veteran.’
‘The team is always well prepared.’
‘The people at DLA always focus first on creating an excellent understanding of our business before we get started. This means that their advice becomes an important contribution in developing the deal, not just making sure it’s a good legal agreement.’
‘Really good in adjusting to the project’s development and the questions and problems that come up during the case. Also, they are able to help the team with different experts involved in the case to reach the target.’
Energi Infrastructure Partners (EIP)
Enlight Renewable Energy
SolTech Energy Sweden
- Advising Luxcara in connection with the 753MW mega wind farm, Markbygden Phase III, which is under construction.
- Acting for OX2 on the divestment of the 86MW Karskruv wind farm to Lundin Energy.
- Successfully advised DKLBC (Trapezia) on a highly-complex permitting procedure in court regarding planning permission for a large quarry located in Stockholm, Sweden.
Foyen Advokatfirma is able to advise on the full range of energy matters, including nuclear, hydroelectric and biogas projects. The team has specific expertise in permit and application work, helping clients to navigate Swedish codes and provisions. The firm’s growing roster of clients include both domestic and international energy companies, with the team advising on licensing processes, contracts and transactions; it also retains its place at the top of the market with regards to onshore and offshore wind power developments. Highly experienced team head Pia Pehrson focuses on advising consulting agencies, property owners and NGOs, as well as representing clients before the courts and authorities. Co-head Andreas Lindström, who also leads the corporate team in Malmö, assists clients with regulatory and compliance issues. Caterina Carreman demonstrates expertise in permit and concession applications and has been involved in projects concerning mining operations, wind power plants and water operations. Tomas Fjordevik focuses on due diligence and environmental matters, including issues relating to waste, water and land management work.
Pia Pehrson; Andreas Lindström
Other key lawyers:
Caterina Carreman; Tomas Fjordevik
‘Short response time, good knowledge and easily understands the problem.’
‘Good experience, clearly explains alternative solutions and can adapt the solution to how I want to attack the problem.’
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne S.A.
Vattenfall Vattenkraft AB
Nordion Energi (Swedegas/Weum)
Falu Energi & Vatten AB
Skövde Energi AB
Borlänge Energi AB
Halmstad Energi & Miljö
- Advising Equinor on the application for exploration permits and the preparation of permit applications for further offshore surveys in the Baltic Sea in connection with the establishment of offshore wind farms.
- Representing Eolus Vind in the process of applying for numerous permits regarding offshore wind power projects in Sweden’s Economic Zone in the Baltic Sea south of Sweden, and Sweden’s Economic Zone and boundary in the North Sea between Skagerrak and Kattegatt.
- Advising RWE on permit applications for two offshore wind farms in the waters south of Sweden.
Mannheimer Swartling has a wide range of expertise across regulatory issues, dispute resolution, financings and transactions. The firm also has a broad understanding of the energy market, in particular renewable power matters. Group co-chairs Andreas Zettergren, Emma Olnäs Fors and Therese Strömshed bring specialist knowledge in wind power and energy infrastructure, with the firm regularly advising on several high-profile wind projects. Per Åsbrink and Johan Ljungberg are key names for M&A mandates.
Emma Olnäs Fors; Andreas Zettergren; Therese Strömshed
Other key lawyers:
Per Åsbrink; Johan Ljungberg
Fred. Olsen Renewables (FORAS)
EB Sustainable Investment Management
Renewable Power Capital (RPC)
Green Investment Group (Corio)
Obligo Investment Management
The Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited
H2 Green Steel
Energy Infrastructure Partners
- Advised Zephyr AS in connection with the divestment of a majority share in two offshore wind power projects.
- Advised Fred. Olsen Renewables (FORAS) in connection with financing agreements providing €480m in equity financing for existing wind farms in Norway and Sweden and future onshore wind farms in the UK and Sweden.
- Advised OX2 AB in its divestment of a 49% stake in a 9,000MW offshore wind development portfolio, comprising three projects in Sweden, to Ingka Investments.
Roschier maintains a busy practice relating to grid work and wind power developments, and also demonstrates a strong knowledge of complex M&A projects, energy financing transactions and large-scale energy disputes. The firm’s cross-border practice includes disputes regarding mining and drilling rights, regulations and construction projects. Team head Björn Winström is particularly active in grid work, while Johan Sidklev primarily focuses on energy related contentious mandates. Markus Olsson specialises in energy infrastructure projects and private M&A.
Other key lawyers:
Johan Sidklev; Markus Olsson
APG Asset Management
BE Bio Energy Group AB
ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS
First National Petroleum Corporation
First State Investments
Kingdom of Sweden
Ostchem Holding, Limited
Renewable Power Capital
- Advising Renewable Power Capital on the acquisition of a 528MW onshore wind projects portfolio, in a transaction which is valued at €800m.
- Advising Solör Bioenergi on the acquisition of Ale Fjärrvärme Aktiebolag, the district heating business of SEVAB Strängnäs Energi AB (SEVAB), and Strängnäs Fjärrvärme (and the related joint venture with Strängnäs kommun), and Lantmännen Agrovärme, the district heating business of Lantmännen.
- Representing the Kingdom of Sweden in a dispute under the Energy Charter Treaty brought by Australian mining company Aura Energy Ltd. The dispute arises out of Sweden’s decision to amend its mineral legislation in 2018 so as to prohibit uranium mining.
Setterwalls‘ energy practice is a leading player in the renewable energy sector, and has experience advising on wind, solar and hydro power projects, as well as issues relating to traditional energy sources. The firm also demonstrates considerable transaction expertise, and is highly engaged in renewable energy investments and regulatory proceedings relating to wind power projects, water law and mineral rights. One of the sector’s most experienced names Jonas Frii provides expert advice regarding the acquisition and financing of energy and infrastructure assets. Tove Andersson fronts the firm’s most complex energy transactions, while Martin Sandgren‘s experience ensures an international perspective on cross-border matters.
Jonas Frii; Tove Andersson; Martin Sandgren
‘Setterwalls has a team that is highly competent within the energy sector, and updates clients with relevant knowledge concerning matters.’
‘The individuals have a good sense for our needs and always respond quickly with relevant suggestions and actions.’
‘Jonas Frii is an exceptionally good team leader and also the best M&A lawyer in the market.’
‘Jonas Frii, Tove Andersson and Martin Sandgren are all very good lawyers in their respective fields of law and possess an impressive sector knowledge. A team that is hard to beat.’
‘We have enjoyed their diversified, outstanding expertise in all the different practice areas of law which play a role in any renewable energy project. They have very good market know-how.’
‘What truly separates Setterwalls’ energy practice from its competitors is its understanding of the energy market as a whole – the big team possesses a profound understanding of every bit and angle of an energy project. This makes Setterwalls something else than just an external lawyer – they become the true trusted adviser.’
‘They are diverse and have broad competence. They listen to us and are sensitive to our needs. They also have no problem in changing the assigned personnel if we feel that to be better for us in regard to cooperation.’
‘Tove Andersson has excellent skills to both understand and work out solutions to proceed cases forward even in tight time frames. Ms Andersson’s knowledge regarding permission processes within the energy sector is exceptional and she is able to transform this knowledge into action.’
Axel Johnson Aktiebolag
Capital Dynamics Clean Energy Infrastructure
CEE Group (Brookfield Asset Management)
Commerz Real AG
Enlight Renewable Energy Ltd (ENLT)
Eurowind Energy AB
Mine Storage International
SR Energy AB
Helios Nordic Energy AB
Holmen Energi AB
Hydro REIN Invest
Kommunalkredit Austria AG
Martin & Servera
Niam Infra AB
Nima Energy AB
Norddeutsche Landesbank (Nord/LB)
Octopus Renewables Infrastructure Trust
Prime Green Energy Investment Fund
Rabbalshede Kraft AB
RWE Renewables Sweden AB
SBM Offshore Inc.
wpd offshore AB
- Advised Hydro REIN Invest on a series of related complex and innovative onshore wind transactions in partnership with Eolus, which included the acquisition of a large onshore wind farm from Enercon.
- Represented Polargrund Offshore AB throughout the permit proceeding for a new offshore wind farm.
- Advised Arise AB in connection with its divestment of the wind farm project Kölvallen of approx. 277MW to a fund managed by Foresight Group LLP, a UK based leading infrastructure and private equity investment manager.
Advokatfirman Vinge is increasingly active on solar and wind matters, alongside advising traditional energy clients on regulatory issues, transactions and dispute resolution; the firm’s impressive M&A capabilities is notably utilised on energy acquisitions. Department co-head Christoffer Thalin’s experience in sustainable energy provides a unique perspective on renewable infrastructure projects. Fellow co-head Peter Sundgren is an M&A specialist that advises clients at both a local and international level. Johan Cederblad is highly experienced in regulatory matters.
Christoffer Thalin; Peter Sundgren
Other key lawyers:
Institutional Renewable Energies II Fund / Commerz Real
MEAG Asset Management
Downing Renewables & Infrastructure Trust
Global Infrastructure Partners
Cloudberry Clean Energy AS
Edsbyns Elverk AB
Åndberg Vind AB / Ardian Funds
- Advised Ingka Investments on the acquisition of a 49% share in three offshore wind development projects in Sweden.
- Assisted Lantmännen with the divestment of Lantmännen Agrovärme AB to Solör Bioenergi.
- Advised Institutional Renewable Energies II Fund on the acquisition of two solar PV plants with a combined capacity of 69MWp from Helios Nordic Energy.
Eversheds Sutherland's energy practice draws upon its considerable knowledge of construction, engineering and commercial issues to provide clients with a comprehensive service regarding energy projects. The firm works with both national and international companies on a range of matters including regulatory issues, contract drafting and negotiations, and procurement processes. The practice has been active in high voltage cable technology, large-scale solar power infrastructure and electric vehicle projects, as well waste and recycling issues. Team head Jan Österman advises on a range of energy matters, including EPC and turnkey projects, while co-head Johan Kennemyr strengthens the breadth of the practice through his contentious knowledge.
Jan Österman; Johan Kennemyr
Linxon Sweden AB
CDE Global Limited
Hitachi Energy Sweden AB
- Representing Energinet, a Danish state-owned corporation, in a dispute in the administrative court system involving tariffs raised in Sweden for an interconnector (border-crossing cables owned and operated by Energinet) between Sweden and Denmark.
- Advising a global provider of electrical and mechanical services on sustainable energy and industrial solutions on four Scandinavian EPC data centre projects.
- Advised a global leader in electrical technology on the complex supply and installation of electrical infrastructure and equipment to several very large central African solar energy parks.
Hammarskiöld’s ‘creative and easy to work with’ team has expanded its M&A and regulatory work in the energy sector, and Jakob Falkman has been particularly active, with a focus on transactional work relating to renewable projects. The firm can handle complex cross-border matters including litigation and IPO assignments, most recently advised a consortium of German banks undertaking a substantial wind farm project. Erik Fahlgren focuses on complex M&A transactions, while Johan Löfquist has been active in the electricity and gas sectors. The recent arrival of financing specialist Rasmus Fahlén from Advokatfirman Westermark Anjou AB has further bolstered the team.
Other key lawyers:
Erik Fahlgren; Rasmus Fahlén; Johan Löfquist
‘They have a high level of experience. They are flexible and extremely eager to find the smartest way forward. They are creative and easy to work with.’
‘The individuals that stand out are Rasmus Fahlén, Johan Löfquist and Jakob Falkman.’
Sunna Group AB
SEK (Svensk Exportkredit)
Scandinavian Credit Fund
Spark Legal Network
Folksam Mutual Insurance
Fuchs Petrolub SE
BNP Paribas, Morgan Stanley and SEB
- Advised Scania on its strategic equity investments, industrial collaborations and long-term supply agreements for lithium-ion batteries, with Swedish “green energy” mega start-up Northvolt.
- Advised a consortium of German banks and Svensk Exportkredit on all legal aspects of the €300m financing of one of Europe’s largest on shore wind farms.
- Advised renewable energy investor Fu-Gen AG on its €320m capital raising from Israeli insurers and pension funds.
Advokatfirman Lindahl KB
Advokatfirman Lindahl KB‘s energy team specialises in M&A, regulatory issues, public procurement processes, contract drafting and negotiations, and financing issues. The firm has worked across an array of energy matters, including solar, biogas and wind projects, and demonstrates particular expertise in the nuclear power sector. Per-Anders Bengtsson leads the team alongside Per Mildner, with the former focusing on M&A, contractual and contentious issues regarding both traditional and renewable energy issues, and the latter active in power generation and power transmission projects. Mikael Wärnsby advises on permitting and licensing matters, while Sara Andersson is experienced in energy-related litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Per-Anders Bengtsson; Per Mildner
Other key lawyers:
Mikael Wärnsby; Sara Andersson
‘The team are very strong and complement each other superbly. Humble and service minded with a clear customer focus without giving up on their integrity.’
‘Very sharp in analysis, hits the core and doesn’t complicate things. Can handle complex problems under time pressure in a great way.’
‘Very strong regulatory practice.’
‘I have worked with Mikael Wärnsby and Sara Andersson. Both have excellent analytical skills and are responsive.’
‘The team is highly competent in contract law. They quickly settle into our business and branch. The team can also quickly add resources when needed.’
European Energy A/S
Baltic Cable AB
Katrinefors Kraftvärme AB
Grönhult Wind Farm Project
Perstorp Fjärrvärme AB
Forsmarks Kraftgrupp AB
Oskarshamn Energi AB
Sundsvall Energi AB
Eolus Vind AB
Växjö Energi AB
Uddevalla Energi AB
Borgholm Energi AB
Trelleborgs Energi AB
Nordic Solar A/S
Telia Sverige AB
- Advised Nordic Solar A/S on its acquisition of four solar energy projects in southern Sweden from Helios Nordic Energy AB.
- Represented E.ON Energidistribution AB in the Administrative Appeal Court in a case relating to revenue frames for Swedish electricity DSOs 2019-2023.
- Advised Oskarshamn Energi AB on matters regarding emission rights.
At MAQS Advokatbyrå, renewable energy specialist and team head Mikael Kowal is the main figure for projects and infrastructure mandates. The firm is highlighted for its specialism in advising clients on the procurement and installation of green energy behind-the-meter systems; the practice has also been active in innovative energy matters, including electro-fuel facility developments and large-scale ethanol projects. Jessica Svantesson focuses on wind power matters, including complex transactions and contract drafting, and Cecilia Rossing is also a key member of the group.
Other key lawyers:
Jessica Svantesson; Cecilia Rossing
‘Competent, efficient and solution-oriented.’
‘It is the sense of openness and genuine welcoming when contacting them, regardless of whether it’s by phone or at their office.’
‘Professional team, very efficient, with a wide and extended legal knowledge. They are service oriented and have a very good response time,’
‘Service minded, informed, available, quick and with access to all skills required.’
‘The knowledge has been very good and the understanding of wanting to help us develop a new product has been good, I see MAQS as very helpful.’
‘Cecilia Rossing has been very competent and incredibly helpful. She always found time to help us even when we were under great time pressure.’
‘MAQs are great at focusing on the key issues and are very knowledgeable within wind energy and renewables. They provide good advice in challenging situations.’
‘Mikael Kowal is one of the leading renewable energy lawyers in Sweden with great insight and skills in other areas such as PPAs, TSAs and M&A.’
Rabbalshede Kraft AB
Dala Vind AB
Liquid Wind AB
EnBW Sverige AB
Vencom Resedential AB
- Assisted Liquid Wind with its partnership with municipal energy utility Övik Energi AB for the development of Sweden’s first commercial-scale electro-fuel (e-fuel) facility, located in Örnsköldsvik and next to Övik Energi’s power plant (Hörneborgsverket).
- Advised Liquid Wind as it partnered with Ørsted in a large-scale e-methanol project in Sweden.
- Advised Agrivind on the Kattegatt Offshore wind power transaction.
Advokatfirman Oebergs AB
Advokatfirman Oebergs AB has experience in energy issues regarding hydropower, solar power and gas projects. The firm has also been active in the wind power sector and has been involved in a number of greenfield projects. Björn Öberg heads up the team and has considerable expertise in energy-related transactions, project structuring issues and project financing matters. Key work highlights for the practice include handling wind farm developments which involved EPC contract drafting and due diligence. Linn Månsson also advises on energy matters.
Other key lawyers:
Holmen Energi AB
Eurowind Energy AB
Mirova Eurofideme 4
Oxelö Energi AB
Hocksjön Vind AB
SIC Stenger & Ibsen Constructing Holding A/S
Alpiq Ecopower AG
Jönköpings Energi AB
Hemsön Energi AB
- Assisted Holmen Energy AB with a transaction where Holmen AB acquired all shares in the part-owned wind farm Varsvik AB from Eurofideme 2, an investment fund managed by Mirova Environment and Infrastructure.
- Advised Gasnätet Stockholm on its climate investment in a major expansion of the gas pipeline network south of Stockholm.
- Assisted Oxelö Energi AB with a unique transaction with Vattenfall connecting the district heating network of Oxelösund with the Vattenfall CHP in Nyköping.
Wistrand covers the full range of energy issues for a growing list of clients. Rudolf Laurin leads the team and has industry expertise in power and heat production projects. The firm has also advised on energy investment opportunities in the region, provided counsel to domestic electricity grid operators, and handled cross-border matters that required navigating European and national legislation.
Scandinavian Enviro Systems AB
Göteborg Energi AB
Deep Wind Offshore DWO Sverige AB
Gasum Clean Gas Solutions AB
Spawer Kraft AB
Göteborg Energi Nät AB
- Advised Fu-Gen on its investment, construction and operation of the wind farm Fjällboheden.
- Advised Gasum Clean Gas Solutions AB regarding an application for extending the start of operations at the terminal for liquefied natural gas (LNG) in Nynäshamn municipality.