Construction in Sweden
Mannheimer Swartling handles some of the largest construction developments across Sweden, as well as a range of international projects. Recent matters for Anders Ingvarson and practice leader Johan Granehult include infrastructure, energy and wastewater projects. Other advisory matters include assisting with nuclear power projects, hospital developments and factory expansions. The team also acts in significant international construction arbitration proceedings for foreign governments, domestic public bodies and utilities companies. The practice works closely with the firm’s public procurement, environmental, tax and corporate practitioners.
‘Very diligent, thorough and thinks outside the box.‘
Stockholm County Council
Region Västra Götaland
Borås Energi & Miljö
- Advising Northvolt on the development of the €3.5 lithium-ion battery factory.
- Representing Region Västra Götaland (the healthcare authority in western Sweden) in a €12m dispute against contractor NCC concerning the construction of a high-security psychiatric hospital.
- Advising Borås Miljö on the construction of a SEK5bn combined heat and power plant and wastewater treatment plant in Borås.
Construction and real estate boutique AG Advokat advises leading construction companies and housing developers on the breadth of projects. Group co-heads Håkan Bjerle, Anders Skägg and Ola Ihse handle urban regeneration projects, major developments in the energy, mining and infrastructure sectors, mixed-use developments and residential housing projects. The client roster also includes government-owned entities, which the team advises on large-scale projects including the landmark Kiruna and Malmberget urban transformation projects. Other key individuals include co-heads Johan Rosén and P-G Jönsson, who focus on construction disputes including arbitration proceedings arising from damages claims and contract terminations.
‘A dedicated team which shows a lot of personal engagement.‘
‘The partners I meet always have a personal touch and I always feel that I am a unique client.‘
‘The best in Sweden regarding construction- quick, competent and confident.’
‘Ola Ihse has a personal approach with high expertise in his field and a service that stands out in the market.‘
‘The individuals are proactive, competent and available.‘
‘Outstanding service, easy to get in contact with and promptly replies to questions.‘
‘Very good at explaining the pros and cons during the decision-making process.‘
‘Håkan Bjerle always makes time for the client.‘
‘If I want the analysis of all the scenarios that could be possible in a matter, Anders Skägg always is the right person.‘
‘Efficient, communicative and understanding of our main goals and perspectives.‘
- Adviser to Luossavaara-Kiirunavaara Aktiebolag on the Kiruna and Malmberget urban transformation projects.
- Advising Fabege on two high-value projects; the new “Haga Norra” district in Solna municipality, and Scandinavia’s first zero energy-hotel.
- Represented JM Entreprenad in an arbitration with Stockholm Exergi concerning the construction of a combined heat and power plant at Värtan, Stockholm.
At Foyen Advokatfirma, the construction practice's contentious expertise includes acting for purchasers, including a number of high-profile public bodies, in contractor liability and consultancy disputes arising from damages and delays in residential, installation and infrastructure projects. Key names include Lars Hag, co-head Bo Svensson, co-head Eva Westberg Persson and John Hane; Hane has seasoned experience in contract drafting, contract negotiations and strategic project advice and recently handled cooperation arrangements, consultancy agreements and procurements. The team was recently involved in several major reconstruction projects in Stockholm and also advises on construction projects for a number of domestic and international purchasers in the auto-manufacturing and onshore wind power sectors. Co-head Per Vestman has notable expertise in the public sector.
‘Foyen Advokatfirma is a very service-minded firm and my experience is that as a client you always feel as you are prioritised. Foyen is always very updated in all areas and is always carefully prepared to deliver as agreed with excellence.‘
‘Per Vestman provides professionalism and expertise.‘
City of Stockholm
Ports of Gotland
Swedish Transport Administration
Ports of Stockholm
City of Gothenburg
- Advising the City of Stockholm on a large number of contracts concerning the reconstruction of Slussen in Stockholm, valued at SEK12bn.
- Assisting Toyota with the conversion and extension of a major logistics centre in Mjölby.
- Representing the Swedish Transport Administration in a SEK7.5m dispute against a general contractor regarding the contractor’s right to compensation in addition to agreed unit prices for a rail construction project.
Advokatfirman Delphi advises on contentious and non-contentious construction matters under the leadership of Oskar Frankki. A range of real estate developers and construction companies instruct the team to handle contract negotiations, tender procedures and regulatory matters for mixed-use developments, housing projects and commercial developments. The team also acts in construction litigation for corporate clients relating to payments for additional work, project delays and damages.
‘Delphi’s team in Malmö provides a broad perspective combined with knowledge and a pragmatic view of how complex construction issues are handled.‘
Telge Nät AB
HSB Malmö ek för
Billström Riemer Andersson Bygg AB
Nordvästra Skånes Vatten och Avlopp AB
Kilanda Betong AB
Robutz Fastigheter AB
BRA Knarrholmen AB
- Advising Geely Autogroup on the establishment of the Geely Innovation Centre site in Gothenburg, including the tender process and drafting of construction contracts.
- Represented Telge Nät in a dispute against AB Styrhytten concerning the payment of additional works.
- Advising real estate developer Skandia Fastigheter on the development of the Backaplan mixed-use development site, with an estimated value of SEK28bn.
Hannes Snellman’s construction department was enhanced by the addition of group head Martin Rifall and Pontus Ewerlöf from MAQS Advokatbyrå and provides expertise across contentious and non-contentious issues. Engineering companies and residential developers instruct the team on arbitration proceedings concerning damages claims, contractual disputes and building defects. On the projects side, mandates include mixed-use developments, residential housing projects and infrastructure projects.
‘Works closely with the client- almost as an in-house counsel. Quick in their response times, strong negotiation skills, and thorough know-how of the construction sector.‘
‘Martin Rifall has excellent construction law skills with extensive technical know-how.‘
Bygg & Fastighets
- Representing Bygg & Fastighets in litigation relating to water damage in a residential construction project.
- Represented Iskra in guarantee claims relating to leaking patios.
With a client list of developers, contractors, municipalities, engineering firms and property portfolio companies, Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton Advokat KB’s construction practice is notably active in high-value disputes. Recent mandates for practice co-heads Nicklas Björklund and Mattias Wittgren include contractual and damages disputes concerning infrastructure, retail, education and housing projects. The team also advises on the full range of issues related to development projects, from drafting and negotiating construction and consultancy agreements to assisting with environmental issues.
‘They have a team of the best lawyers in every discipline and they will have every point of view taken care of, no matter which service you want from them. They will understand your business, why you are in the business and what you want to achieve.‘
‘They are very good at construction contract law and they also have a very good knowledge of the market.‘
‘Nicklas Björklund is among the best lawyers in Sweden and his team is considered as very competent with the best experience and knowledge you can get.‘
Skolfastigheter i Stockholm
Rover Alcisa Sweden
Nordic Railway Construction Sverige
Coor Service Management
- Advising Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield on the Mall of Scandinavia project and the related SEK2bn dispute against constructor Peab Sverige.
- Representing Nyfosa in a construction dispute concerning a defective industrial floor in a logistics facility in Gothenburg.
- Representing Coor Service Management (a leading facility-management service provider) in a string of contractual disputes with SAIAB, a leading supplier of customised premises for airport activities.
A client portfolio of property owners and municipalities instructs Advokatfirman Lindahl KB’s construction team on contentious and non-contentious matters, with notably expertise in projects across the south of Sweden. Helsingborg-based practice head Anders Eriksson advises on renovations in the nuclear power sector, residential development projects and damages disputes. Malmö-based Johan Tollgerdt, Per-Anders Bengston and associate Annika Andersson recently advised on project negotiations and turnkey procurements for a number of municipalities.
‘Lindahl is very successful in putting together a suitable team based on the nature of the case and the excellence required for the execution of the assignment.‘
‘The team is very dedicated and helpful. I find their competence very high and they always get back to you with short notice.‘
‘Per-Anders Bengtsson is a very competent and experienced lawyer. He has extraordinary skills, an analytical mind and performs all the way through in a professional, responsive and structured manner.‘
‘I have had the privilege of working very close to Annika Andersson in difficult and complex procurement and contracting matters. Annika is very careful, clear and reliable to work with. Her strong decisiveness means that the work always goes forward and, thanks to her high competence and clarity, you as a client know what risks and opportunities there are to decide. Annika also has a strong sense of business acumen.‘
- Acting for Kristianstad Municipality in a dispute concerning construction works in a public school performed by PEAB.
- Assisting Ystad Municipality with the procurement of a turnkey project for the construction of two new docks in Ystad Harbour.
- Advising Trelleborg Municipality on the €50m conversion of a former retail area into flats and semi-detached houses.
Led by Erik Kjaer in Gothenburg, MAQS Advokatbyrå’s practice advises contractors and developers on all stages of construction projects from procurement strategies and contractual negotiations to ongoing consultations. Erik Palmgren is a noteworthy name for construction disputes and has experience representing contractors in contractual arbitrations; he recently handles claims for additional work and other contractual disputes.
‘Erik Kjaer is always quick to answer, very accurate and a true professional. He adds great value to us.‘
Erlandsson Bygg and Erlandsson Holding
Stanley Security Sweden
RO-Gruppen AB No
Billströmmer Riemer Andersson Bygg
Circle K Sweden
- Advising Boskalis Group on the contract negotiations for the development of a roll-on/roll-off harbour in Norvik.
- Providing ongoing assistance to Serneke Group for the €1.3bn Karlatornet project.
- Representing Circle K Sweden in a dispute against Midroc concerning the design of a secondary containment for the storage of petroleum products.
The client roster of Setterwalls’ construction practice includes international contractors, public authorities, developers and purchasers, which the team advises on the breadth of disputes and non-contentious mandates. Group co-heads Lennart Iwar and Anders Heintze handle construction contract negotiations for projects in the renewable energy, transport infrastructure and utilities sectors. Iwar and fellow co-head Hans Dahlberg Kolga also recently advised on procurement strategies for a number of decommissioning projects. The team also regularly handles contract law arbitration proceedings concerning the right to compensation and claims of unpaid invoices.
‘Good time management and a professional approach to every inquiry.‘
‘Hans Dahlberg Kolga is a humble lawyer with great and valuable experience from his field.‘
‘Hanna Björkman is a very good up and coming lawyer.‘
‘Excellent availability and engagement and a high quality of legal product.‘
‘Mattias Wiklund stands out for quality, engagement, communication and understanding for our business.‘
NCC Sverige AB
Per Aarsleff A/S
Svenska Kraftnät AB
Borås Energi och Miljö AB
Bravida Sverige AB
VBA Syd AB
RGS Nordic AB
Emil Lundgren AB
Hilti Sverige AB
Riksbyggen ekonomisk förening
- Representing Per Aarsleff in a contract dispute against Region Gotland concerning the development of a cruising harbour in Visby.
- Providing ongoing advice to Svenska Kraftnät (operator of the national transmission grid) on various matters including a decommissioning contract for a high-voltage power line.
- Advising concrete supplier AB Sydsten on an ongoing basis concerning construction contract law matters.
White & Case Advokat AB’s construction practice represents high-profile domestic construction companies in disputes against subcontractors, real estate companies and utilities companies. Practice head Anders Reldén was recently instructed on damages claims arising from infrastructure, sporting, hotel and residential developments. The team also advises its long-standing client base on turnkey construction projects and transactions.
‘Extraordinary competence, knowledge and communication skills.‘
‘Anders Reldén and Rasmus Lüning are very competent, strategic and communicative.‘
Trygg-Hansa Försäkring filial
- Representing NCC Sverige in a dispute against the subcontracted engineer for the construction of Knutpunkten transport hub in the city of Helsingborg.
- Representing Peab Sverige in a dispute against Östersund Municipality concerning a construction contract for the development of a sports arena.
- Representing NCC Sverige in a dispute against water company Gästrike Gävle Vatten concerning a construction contract for the expansion of the water supply grid in Gävle.
Name partners Anders Wimert and Jens Lundgren lead the practice at construction boutique Wimert Lundgren Advokatbyrå and are reputed for their expert knowledge of large-scale infrastructure projects; recent mandates involved railway tunnels, transport terminals, bypasses and canal refurbishments. The team also acts in contract arbitration proceedings, compensation clients, sustainability issues and subcontractor disputes for construction and engineering clients.
‘The firm has exceptional knowledge of the construction industry.‘
‘Good time management, service minded, value for money and efficient.‘
‘Anders Wimert has outstanding experience in construction law.‘
‘Adam Larsson is a high-quality lawyer and an up comer in the construction business.‘
‘Anders Wimert has extremely good knowledge of contract law and Swedish contract documents. With a structured plan and a great cooperative ability, he is convincing in disputes.‘
Järfälla VA- & Byggentreprenad
- Advising Implenia Sverige on the construction of a €222m road tunnel near Stockholm.
Wistrand’s construction experts assist with the planning and development of commercial, residential and community infrastructure projects and advises on the full construction process from contract and procurement negotiations to leasing arrangements. The client portfolio consists of developers, contractors and joint ventures at a domestic and international level. Key contacts include Jan Alexanderson in Stockholm and Eilert Andersson in Gothenburg.
Stockholm international Fairs
Ansaldo STS Sweden
Nordic Gas Solution
- Advising Alma Property Partners on the development of a new shopping centre in Sollentuna.
- Representing Praktikertjänst Fastigheter in a dispute with a building constructor concerning newly developed buildings.
- Advising Sheraton Stockholm on construction development issues.
Advokatfirman Cederquist KB’s construction practice head Fredrik Forssman handles litigation and arbitration proceedings for domestic and international construction companies. Recent mandates involved acting against government-owned entities in payments claims, contractual disputes arising from infrastructure projects and disputes concerning allegations of faulty workmanship. Erik Wernberg is another noteworthy name who is experienced across the range of contractual disputes.
The construction team at Hellström Law recently experienced notable growth and now fields practice heads Fredrik Ulvenfalk Berg, Gustaf Cedershiöld and Krister Lindgren, all previously of AG Advokat. Recent work includes advising on contractual and management issues for housing, schooling and infrastructure projects and acting in disputes arising from project delays, subcontracting agreements and unexpected project costs. Clients are regularly from the smaller to mid-tier domestic market.
‘They are extremely talented and service minded and they always respond quickly with good answers.‘
‘Fredrik Ulvenfalk Berg is talented and service minded.‘
Recent advisory matters for Magnusson Advokatbyrå’s construction group saw practice head Mårten Tagaeus advising private companies, municipalities and counties on procurement planning issues, consultancy agreements, zoning and planning applications and construction contract negotiations. The team also handles construction-related disputes, particularly liability and damages claims.
‘The overall level of service is excellent and world class! Magnusson’s business acumen, industry and public procurement knowledge is both broad and deep at an expert level.‘
‘They are brilliant at solving issues, giving advice and recommendations, time-management and customer approachability with a solid knowledge and experience of legal matters.‘
The City of Gothenburg
Aktiebolaget Tingstad Papper
The Municipality of Partille
The Municipality of Lerum
The Municipality of Sigtuna
- Represented Nacka Municipality in a dispute with Circle K Sverige concerning the termination of a site leasehold right for Berg’s oil port located in Nacka.
- Advising Kolmårdens Djurpark — a subsidiary of Parks & Resorts Scandinavia — on planning, zoning and building matters for the construction of the “Wildfire” roller coaster.
- Advising City of Gothenburg on the construction of the Hisingsbron bridge with a contract value of SEK2bn.
NORDIA Law acts in major contracting disputes in the construction sector, with practice co-heads Per Sjödin and Mikaela Kempe Bergner regularly acting for engineering companies, consulting firms and architects in claims against Swedish construction companies and municipalities. Recently, the firm handled complex tort litigation arising out of the design, planning and management of infrastructure projects.
‘I have very good experience working with Per Sjödin and Mikaela Kempe Bergner, with both of them being very competent, strategic and communicative.‘
‘In my opinion Nordia Law is the best when it comes to handling construction issues. They are very familiar with how the construction industry works and they have outstanding knowledge of construction regulation. They are very professional and know exactly how to present their work and results to the client.‘
‘Extraordinary professionalism, knowledge and competence.‘
‘Nordia Law are among the best in the field of contract and consulting law.‘
‘They have incredible experience and work thoroughly on all issues. Everything that leaves the law firm has been carefully worked out by the partners.‘
‘Per Sjödin is an experienced litigator who knows construction disputes very well.‘
‘Per Sjödin and Mikaela Kempe Bergner are always professional, they have the highest competence, they are always available and they present their work and results to the client in the best way.‘
Sixteen Reibo Ingenjörsfirma
- Defending WSP Sverige in a SEK48m tort dispute concerning the development and construction of a house.
- Represented Sweco Structures in a dispute against NCC Construction Sverige concerning the reinforcement and construction of five additional floors to Terminal 1 in Helsingborg.
- Represented a client in a dispute against the Swedish Transport Administration concerning a claim for fees for the development of a road in central Sweden.
At Advokatfirman Vinge, contentious construction mandates are handled by Gothenburg-based Robert Deli, who regularly acts for purchasers in remuneration disputes against construction companies arising from refurbishments and redevelopments. The team also advises on contractor and consultant negotiations and permit applications, and the firm’s corporate partners contribute construction transactional expertise. Anders Forkman in Skåne and Assur Badur in Stockholm are other key contacts.
Boet Bostad Utveckling
LP Entreprenad i Göteborg
- Assisting B38 Sweden with the acquisition of numerous construction companies.
WERKS Advokater AB
Under the leadership of Gothenburg-based Daniel Ericsson, WERKS Advokater AB regularly assists a range of real estate companies and other purchasers with procurement strategies, construction and consultancy contracts and the related disputes. Recent mandates included acting in arbitration proceedings arising from the construction of residential housing developments, sports centres and commercial office buildings. Thomas Wetterlundh is also noted for his expertise in disputes relating to building defects.
‘No matter what we might need help with, Werks can guide us and give us the right help from senior lawyers. We appreciate that they are focused on what is important for the client.‘
‘Provides in-depth commercial knowledge and is very much hands-on and dedicated.‘
‘Partner Daniel Ericsson has competence with all legal documents regarding Swedish construction law with a thorough knowledge of the industry itself. In addition, he has a very good knowledge in real estate law in general.‘
‘Daniel Ericsson in the best partner I have worked with in Construction. He is a very hands-on person with excellent commercial knowledge.‘
Riksbyggen BRF Kungälv Liljedal
Holdingaktiebolaget Knut Hansson
Stiftelsen Göteborgs Studentbostäde