D. L. & F. De Saram offers a broad range of services to a variety of domestic, as well as international clients, from supporting individuals on family matters and property to commercial disputes of corporate entities. The practice also looks to support its clients by advising on alternative methods of dispute resolution, notably arbitration. Savantha De Saram, Jivan Goonetileke and Dasuni Wijayasiriwardena head the team. A notable name is Kavindri Wijayaratne, who is particularly knowledgeable in civil and commercial litigation.
Dispute resolution in Sri Lanka
Savantha De Saram; Jivan Goonetilleke; Dasuni Wijayasriwardena
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very responsive and efficient.’
‘Their knowledge of the law and practicalities is great.’
‘Dasuni Wijesiriwardena is an excellent lawyer and runs an efficient team.’
‘Kavindri Wijayaratne is extremely responsive.’
‘ They are capable of advising and handling all legal affairs related to any kind of a business field.’
‘The dispute resolution team are methodical and focused, and well sought after in the industry. Their special focus and expertise makes them sought after in civil litigation, wills and probate.’
‘Dasuni Wijayasriwardha is well planned, methodical and knowledgeable in her area of expertise.’
British Broadcasting Corporation
Prima Ceylon (private) Ltd
Nestle Lanka PLC
Siam City Cement (Lanka) Limited
The Swadeshi Industrial Works PLC
V.V. Karunaratne & Company Limited
China National Aero- Technology International Engineering Operations (CATIC)
Orient Overseas Container Line (China) Co. Limited
- Represented Prima Ceylon (Private) Limited in a writ application filed in the Court of Appeal against the consumer affairs authority of Sri Lanka (CAA).
- Represented public joint stock company “Aeroflot –Russian Airlines”. The group successfully vacated an Enjoining Order (issued by the commercial High Court) which was preventing one of its aircraft from departing Sri Lanka.
- Represented the BBC in a District Court action instituted against the BBC by a well-known local businessman who is a founder and co-founder of a leading Sri Lankan News channel and advertising company.
Nithya Partners' core strengths lie in resolving corporate and commercial disputes, with the practice being particularly knowledgeable in litigation relating to telecommunication, projects, energy, infrastructure and construction related matters. Chanaka De Silva, a seasoned practitioner, co-heads the team and is an expert in alternate dispute resolution. Aruna Samarajeewa is the other practice head; he is accomplished within consumer matters and customs law. Given his experience, he possesses a strong roster of regional and multinational clients.
Chanaka de Silva; Aruna Samarajewa
‘The legal acumen and practical approach of the counsel means they have the ability to turn round a matter fast.’
‘With Chanaka De Silva’s extensive experience and commercial knowledge he has the ability to give practical and business oriented solutions. In times of urgency he is reachable for quick summary advise.’
‘The firm’s dispute resolution team is headed by one of the industry’s best litigation lawyers.’
‘We consider the firm for any material and significant disputes without any second thoughts.’
‘The advice given is generally very sound and very practical.’
‘We have the utmost confidence in their capabilities.’
New Fortress Energy Inc. USA
Tudawe Brothers (Pvt) Ltd.
Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, Sri Lanka
The Bar Association of Sri Lanka
PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), Sri Lanka
Asiri Hospitals Holdings PLC
Strategic Insurance Brokers (Pvt.) Ltd.
HNB Finance PLC
Standard Chartered Bank, Sri Lanka
- Represented the bar association of Sri Lanka in a fundamental rights application.
- Represented the New Fortress Energy group of USA, in public interest litigation cases concerning the agreements entered into by the Government of Sri Lanka.
- Represented Tudawe Brothers, a joint-venture partner of the consortium constructing Phase II of the Central Expressway in a dispute concerning the joint venture partners and the project employer; the Road Development Authority of Sri Lanka.
The team at Sudath Perera Associates is well equipped to handle high profile litigation and arbitration matters, supporting clients in disputes across a wide spectrum which spans commercial, contractual, corporate, M&A, and real estate, among other areas. Sudath Perera, a particularly reputed individual, utilises his experience in his handling of significant negotiations between international corporates as well as government departments. Head of the group, Lakshana Perera is well versed in intellectual property as well as commercial and corporate litigation. Partner Deshan Hewavithana heads the criminal defence team whereas Manoj Bandara provides the team with knowledge in banking and finance, fraud and defamation, civil litigation and telecommunications law.
Lakshana Perera; Deshan Hewavithana
Other key lawyers:
Sudath Perera; Manoj Bandara
‘Very methodical and good team workers’.
‘Their feedback is very punctual.’
Asia Broadcasting Corporation (Pvt) Ltd
Maliban Biscuits Manufactories (Pvt) Ltd
Indocean Developers Private Limited (IDPL)
Fonterra Brands Lanka (Private) Limited
Home Lands Holdings (Pvt) Ltd
Ceylon Guardian Investment Trust PLC
People’s Merchant Finance PLC
Orient Finance PLC
Standard Chartered Bank
Russian Education Centre
- Represented Home Lands Holdings (Pvt), a premier licensed real estate company in Sri Lanka, with regards to land, building and construction related disputes.
- Represented client, the developer of “Altair”, IDPL, in a number of litigation matters in Sri Lanka.
- Represented REC Campus, a leading educational pathway provider in Sri Lanka, against YouTube LLC, and another individual, over the publication of defamatory videos.
F. J. & G. De Saram advises a broad range of clients on disputes across the full array of sectors including banking and finance, insurance and reinsurance and M&A. The group is principally focused on international arbitration, representing clients predominantly as claimants taking action against the State. With over 25 years of experience in advisory services, Avinda Rodrigo heads the practice, which thrives in handling lucrative engineering and construction disputes.
‘I can rely on them, very professional and they have the subject knowledge.’
‘Very professional team, they follow the dispute very carefully and assist the client very well.’
‘Avindra Rodrigo performed very well in all of his activities related to an international arbitration for our company.’
‘This is one of the most notable firm in Sri Lanka.’
‘When we reached them at first instance with requisite details they took time to analyse the merits and came up with the detailed report listing all the relevant and important factors.’
Lanka IOC PLC
IBM World Trade Corporation
Gamma Pizzakraft Lanka (Pvt) Ltd
C.H. Robinson Freight Services Limited
AFRY, formerly known as Pöyry Switzerland Limited
Insync Bikes Limited, formerly Avocet Sports Limited
Nishimatsu Construction Co. Limited
Haecker Kuchen GmbH & Co KG
- Advised Lanka IOC PLC on the lease of an Oil Tank Farm in a dispute involving the Ceylon Petroleum Corporation and the Government of Sri Lanka.
- Represented Gamma Pizzakraft Lanka (Pvt) Ltd. before the Court of Appeals in a dispute with Sri Lanka Customs relating to the alleged undervaluing of imports.
- Represented AFRY, formerly known as Pöyry Switzerland Limited (AFRY) against the Ceylon Electricity Board. Disputes arose under two contracts for consulting services in respect of Phase 1 and 2 of 300 MW Puttalam Coal Power Project in Sri Lanka.
The team at Tiruchelvam Associates have been particularly engaged in handling disputes regarding employment, routinely appearing before the commissioner of labour. The practice aims to broaden the areas in which it operates and has ventured into sectors such as rent and ejectment. The group is headed by Laila Nasry alongside Ayendra Wickremesekera, the former is particularly adept in matters within the power and energy fields; the latter is adept in labour law litigation and is particularly knowledgeable in labour law reform.
Laila Nasry; Ayendra Wickremesekera
‘They always research about the subject matter thoroughly and provide you solid information. This sets concrete foundation to a successful journey with them.’
‘Laila Nasry makes sure the client completely understand the situation before we step into the next phase.’
‘The knowledge they possess and the professionalism they bring is outstanding.’
‘You are never confused with them. You hardly have to change the documents they provide you.’
Pathuma Fariel Ali
FujiSun (Pvt) Ltd
Srikantha Motors Lanka (Pvt) Ltd
- Represented a client in her late husband’s testamentary action in order to prove the joint last will and to distribute the properties accordingly.
- Advised and assisted a client taking legal action against his tenant who has defaulted in rent payments and regaining possession of the property.
- Represented FujiSun (Pvt) Ltd in making a successful application under the Right to Information Act and obtained relevant information from a government corporation.