Cuatrecasas’ advice covers the spectrum of criminal specialities involving companies, including tax evasion, money laundering, fraud and insolvency, and financial crimes, notably those related to the stock exchange and insider trading. Joaquín Burkhalter has experience in economic criminal law, particularly in cases with an international component. He co-leads the practice with Josep Riba, who joined from Morales Abogados Penalistas in 2019. They can call on the expertise of Luis Jordana de Pozas, who is known for advising on tax and economic offences; Alfredo Domínguez, who specialises in litigation involving business and economic crime, as well as advising on administrative, bankruptcy, corporate and labour offences, and senior associate Íñigo de Ros, who is an expert in socio-economic and business crimes, primarily corporate crime and money laundering.
White-collar crime in Spain
Garrigues specialises in criminal compliance, internal investigations and corporate defence. The firm has a national and global reach, with feet on the ground across Europe, particularly in Spain and Portugal, as well as in Latin America. The team is co-led by Gabriel Castro, who focuses on prosecution and defence in criminal proceedings, as well as in extradition and international mutual assistance procedures; internal investigation specialist Helena Prieto, who has experience in corporate investigations into transnational criminal conduct at multinational companies; and Eduardo Torres-Dulce, who is an expert litigator, including in cross-border matters.
‘Very knowledgeable and dedicated team’
‘Trusted lawyers with great intellectual capabilities, yet also a practical mindset’
‘Dedicated, knowledgeable and pleasant to work with’
Cartesian Capital Group
Global Business Travel Spain (Amex)
Centros Comerciales Carrefor
Opel España (PSA Group)
Lafarge Holcim Spain
Fomento de Construcciones y Contratas S.A.
Asociación de Clubs de Baloncesto (ACB)
- Representing auditor Francisco Celma (Deloitte) in an investigation into alleged fraud against investors, misappropriation, accounts falsification, and several other corporate crimes regarding the operation by Bankia went public and later ended up in bankruptcy.
- Representing auditor Francisco Celma (Deloitte) in an investigation into alleged fraud against investors, accounts falsification, and several other corporate crimes regarding the bankruptcy of Banco de Valencia.
- Representing Ricardo Bravo, the former manager of Iberdrola for the region of Castilla and León, in an investigation into alleged public corruption, money laundering and criminal organisation felonies within the regional government regarding the granting of public licences to companies such as Iberdrola to construct and manage renewable wind energy stations.
Specialising in multi-jurisdictional cases, Uría Menéndez has a depth of expertise, covering corporate criminal liability, bribery and internal investigations. The firm also handles the prosecution of employees from the company side, as well as providing particular experience in tax fraud matters, including defending individuals and corporates in accounting fraud cases. The team is co-led by emeritus partner Carlos Bueren, who is known for representing clients in fraud, forgery, concealment of assets, tax fraud and misappropriation matters; criminal law specialist Óscar Morales; Ismael Clemente, who focuses on white-collar cases; and Jaime Alonso, who is active in the corporate criminal defence sector. Also notable is principal associate Alberto Gómez Fraga, who is an expert in financial criminal law.
‘Uria Menedez is the best Spanish law firm in every jurisdiction and subject, providing clients with the best legal advice and support’
‘They have great professional experience, amazing legal knowledge, know-how and analytical skills, with perfect written and oral communication skills’
‘Lawyers with extensive experience, very qualified and competitive’
‘Great legal knowledge, critical thinking, discipline and organisation, communication skills, technical competency, work ethic, determination and persistence’
‘Standout partners are Jaime Alonso Gallo and Ismael Clemente’
‘Academic excellence combined with a practical approach’
‘Jaime Alonso is the best criminal lawyer in Spain by far. He is capable of managing complex matters in Spain as well as international investigations and litigation in Europe and the Americas’
‘Uria Menendez shows excellence in everything they do’
‘Their legal knowledge is very deep and they provide immediate answers’
‘Unparalleled quality, excellent knowledge, immediate responses, absolute availability of the partner and the team, excellent co-ordination among team members, always aware of the state of affairs, proactive attitude’
Baker McKenzie’s expertise ranges from internal investigations and compliance to public prosecutor investigations and international cases. The firm's litigation experience includes defending companies, directors, representatives and employees. Victor Mercedes is known as a litigator in economic crime matters. He co-leads the practice with Jesus Santos, who advises companies and individuals on preventive criminal law, pre-litigation situations and criminal proceedings. Also notable is María Massó, who focuses on advising companies and individuals on criminal and compliance issues.
‘Engagement, professionalism, availability, know-how, expertise’
‘Empathy, knowledge, meticulous work, real engagement’
‘Good organisation that allows the client to be always informed on time about the process’
‘Jesus Santos has a good understanding of the positions of the prosecutors and judges’
‘Alicia Franch shows incredible attention to detail’
‘Maria de Miguel is a junior with a good grasp of everything’
Directors of TMF Group
- Represented Centro Canalejas Madrid and Carlos Lamela, an internationally renowned architect, in criminal proceedings related to alleged damage to national heritage goods, following a criminal complaint submitted by the public prosecutor regarding the reconstruction work on seven emblematic buildings in Madrid.
- Defended two top executives of the international secretarial services provider group TMF in criminal proceedings initiated upon a complaint by Bankia Habitat, a subsidiary of Bankia.
CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo advises on corporate criminal law, providing the traditional services of legal prosecution and defence, as well as expertise in preventive criminal law and corporate compliance. The firm is particularly active in financial criminal law and crime prevention compliance. Practice head Carlos Aguilar is well regarded for criminal, civil, corporate and constitutional law, with a notable focus on financial criminal law.
‘Longstanding knowledge of the cases’
‘The partner managing our file is top technically and understands the dynamics of this kind of case’
Red Eléctrica De España
- Defending Ángel Acebes (the former Minister of Internal Affairs, Minister of Justice and Minister of Public Administration, who was President of the BFA Audit Committee) in a corporate crime case related to the decision adopted by the board of directors of Bankia and BFA in 2011 and 2012 regarding OPV Bankia and the formulation of accounts.
- Advising Red Eléctrica de España in criminal proceedings before several courts throughout Spain regarding the theft of copper cables from substations, industrial accidents, and sabotage of the company’s electrical infrastructure.
Focusing on advising financial entities, Gómez-Acebo & Pombo specialises in cross-border criminal investigations involving tax fraud, money laundering and asset tracing. The firm also has experience in compliance and criminal liability issues, as well as corruption-related matters. Carlos Sáiz Díaz has litigation and disputes expertise in matters before the Spanish courts and regulatory authorities; he co-leads the practice with Vanessa Fernández Lledó, who focuses on criminal law, white-collar crime and corporate compliance issues.
‘Openness to suit clients’ specific needs’
‘Clarity, transparency and understanding of the peculiarities of the client’
Known for handling multi-jurisdictional criminal cases, Pérez-Llorca also has experience in Spanish criminal litigation and providing advice on crisis management and internal investigations. Practice head Adriana De Buerba is an expert in criminal litigation and represents clients as defence and private prosecution. Notable in her team is Juan Palomino, who was promoted to partner in 2019 and has a particular focus on matters related to new technologies, including criminal IP infringements, cyber-fraud and offences related to cryptocurrencies.
Clifford Chance covers corporate criminal litigation and advice, particularly in relation to corporate crimes, intellectual property crimes, bribery, money laundering, environmental crimes and tax crimes. The practice also has a wealth of expertise in cross-border criminal litigation. Carlos Zabala leads the team and focuses on cross-border investigations, compliance and due diligence procedures, as well as being an expert in cyber security.
‘The team was really good at cross-examination and in the oral exposition before the court’
‘Carlos Zabala is a lawyer who solves problems, is always focused on the client and os technically brilliant’
‘Sonia Trendafilova gives great support to lead counsel’
Lindorff España, S.A. and Lindorff Holding (now Intrum)
Promotora Industrial Sadense, S.A.
Interbalear de Servicios
- Conducting a complex cross-border internal investigation for Airbus regarding potential international corruption allegations.
- Advising Musashi on a CEO fraud attack.
- Conducting an independent investigation of a potential violation of human rights at Glencore’s Antapaccay copper mine in Peru.
Ius + Aequitas Abogados
Boutique litigation firm Ius + Aequitas Abogados is experienced in corporate crime, white-collar financial crimes and corporate investigations, on a local and international stage. In addition, the firm brings expertise in the sports, entertainment, banking, finance, construction and infrastructure sectors to its cases. International litigator Eliseo M. Martínez is active in a range of corporate crime cases. He co-leads the team with Carolina González de la Fuente, who specialises in intellectual property, industrial and unfair competition matters.
‘The team is really competent’
‘We feel very confident when they are in charge’
‘All the lawyers have a lot of experience and are very qualified to solve all kinds of issues, in a professional way, in the requested time’
‘Professional and very personalised service’
‘Plurality, diversity, co-ordination with all areas of the office and deep technical knowledge’
‘Cordiality, enforceability, proactivity’
Asociación de Perjudicados por Abengoa
Organización de Consumidores y Usuarios (OCU) / JUR
D.I.S. –“Esportes y Organizaçao de Eventos” and the Federation of Professional Athletes (Brazil)
Asociación de Usuarios de servicios Bancarios AUSBANC España
Miguel Cesteros Fernández (Acuamed case)
- Representing Plataforma de Perjudicados por Abengoa (Association of People Affected by Abengoa) in a case relating to an alleged false accounting and investor scam carried out by Abengoa.
- Represented Organización de Consumidores y Usuarios (OCU), the Spanish consumer rights organisation, in a claim against Banco Popular (today Banco Santander) and PwC for alleged false accounting and embezzlement.
- Representing Federación Española de Asociaciones de Viviendas y Apartamentos Turísticos (Fevitur) in a claim against the Mayor of Palma de Mallorca, Antoni Noguera, relating to the drastic prohibitions on the short-term rental market for tourist accommodation in the city of Palma.
Jones Day advises companies and individuals on preventive measures and defends clients in a range of financial crime cases, including in relation to corruption, securities fraud, market offences, money laundering and environmental offences. The firm also has experience in internal investigations and regulatory proceedings. Practice head José Bonilla represents individuals and companies in white-collar criminal proceedings, with a particular focus on financial and securities matters, notably tax fraud and money laundering matters.
DWF-RCD’s work ranges from money laundering, embezzlement and fraud to social security crimes, tax evasion and corruption. The firm also has expertise in corporate compliance, as well as assisting in investigations and criminal trials domestically and internationally. Practice head Diego Artacho specialises in regulatory compliance, advising on the implementation of prevention and control systems for leading Spanish companies.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons specialises in tax fraud, anti-corruption and bribery matters, with particular experience acting for international banks. Fernando Aizpún is well known as a litigator, acting in a range of civil and criminal proceedings for international and domestic clients. He co-leads the practice with Andrés Mochales, who focuses on criminal, civil, arbitration and bankruptcy proceedings, as well as corporate restructuring and insolvency.
‘The team combines knowledge with dedication, tenacity and talent’
‘I would like to mention in particular Fernando Aizpun and Ricardo Orive’