Clifford Chance‘s public law department, which often collaborates with the litigation and dispute resolution group at the firm, is ‘exceptional in both its knowledge and its pragmatic approach to matters‘ surrounding regulatory aspects of headline-grabbing transactions. Among recent highlights, the team successfully represented Endesa before the Supreme Court in an appeal based on public procurement rules, while also acting as a consistent member of Iberdrola’s regulation committee. Jaime Almenar, ‘an impressive lawyer because of the solidity of his knowledge‘ heads the team, with high involvement in energy regulation, financial regulation, public procurement and environmental law matters. Supporting him in Madrid is José Luis Zamarro, with counsel Carme Briera another standout practitioner, backing the team from Barcelona; senior associate Clara Alcaraz is also recommended.
Public law in Spain
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a high level of technical training and what makes them different from other firms is the number of senior officials who not only have extensive knowledge of the subject, but also have information on the functioning of the Administration and the area of competence of each department.’
‘They have expanded the subject matters of this practice, incorporating expert lawyers so that they provide a comprehensive and very complete service, something that clearly differentiates them from other firms.’
‘Their status as State Lawyers and experts in the field and their availability to attend to emergencies and queries that may arise. Jaime Almenar and José Manuel Cuenca are held in high regard.’
‘Clifford Chance’s public law team is exceptional in both its knowledge and its pragmatic approach to matters. Couldn’t be happier with them for the results they get.’
‘They know the matter in detail, they are very fast and agile. Jaime Almenar is an impressive lawyer because of the solidity of his knowledge in a way that you are always sure you are going to get the best possible result.’
‘Jaime Almenar’s contributions are certainly of great value, they have complemented the work of other lawyers and help the client find solutions to very complex problems.’
‘Its practical vision to find solutions. Leadership in meetings. Mastery of public contracting and its final results.’
‘It is worth highlighting the work of Fernando Irurzun and Clara Alcaraz.’
King Street, Taconic, SVP and Attestor
Phunciona Gestión Hospitalaria
Gestión y Técnicas del Agua
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles
Red Eléctrica de España
Abertis Mobility Service
- Advising Cellnex on public procurement and telecoms matters, including a number of cassation claims before the Spanish Supreme Court.
- Secured a landmark ruling in favour of Endesa on public procurement rules in the electricity sector.
- Advising Hydeal Asturias on the feasibility phase of a project consisting in the construction and operation of a full-value-chain green hydrogen project in Spain.
Cuatrecasas houses an integrated offering characterised by extensive knowledge of public-private and public-public relationships from an administrative law perspective. Within this realm of expertise, the firm is capable in litigation proceedings, public procurement and PPPs, regulatory advice, town planning and environmental law issues, with the offering spearheaded by Luis Pérez De Ayala, an administrative and regulatory law specialist with a focus on the energy sector. Nicolás González-Deleito is active in the administrative concession and town planning front, while Jorge Botella specialises in PPPs, with experience ranging from transactions to finance infrastructure. Alejandro Auset, currently on leave of absence, is another key contact for litigation in the space, with the arrival of Félix Plasencia Sanchez from EY Abogados in November 2021 further strengthening the team’s leading position in the market.
El Corte Inglés
The Carlyle Group
Fiesta Hotels & Resorts
- Advising El Corte Inglés on regulatory matters related to launching and developing its electricity distributors in Spain (Sweno Energía).
- Advising the consortium formed by ACS and Ferrovial (EMESA) in the dispute and negotiation with the Madrid City Council over the contract to build and operate the M-30 highway.
- Advising Acciona on its challenge before the European Court of Justice and Spanish Supreme Court of the Royal Decree 198/2015, regulating the tax for the use of continental waters in the administrative concessions.
The administrative law department at Garrigues continues to demonstrate its ability to provide comprehensive advice on public law matters, with ‘knowledge of the issues‘ relevant to various regulated sectors such as water, mining, transportation, energy, banking and telecoms. Alfredo Fernández Rancaño heads the team, which specialises in public procurement, PPPs and administrative proceedings; also playing a key role in this offering are contentious expert Miguel Loya Del Río and Juan Manuel Cabeza, who was promoted to the partnership in January 2021. Principal associate Marta Guerrero Rodrigálvarez is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent professionals with a vision beyond administrative law.’
‘Excellent accuracy and providing suitable alternatives and options.’
‘The department of public law stands out for its immediate availability, in-depth technical knowledge of the matter and teamwork.’
‘Javier Manchado and Juan Manuel Cabeza are aware of all the issues. You can work on any theme interchangeably with either of the two.’
‘Their knowledge, availability and immediacy.’
‘The proximity of the partners.’
‘Knowledge of the issues, agility in the response, availability and knowledge of clients.’
‘Excellence. Personalised. Involvement of the partners in the provision of the service.’
Spanish Red Cross
Red Eléctrica Corporación
Red Eléctrica De España
Ir Redes De Calor Y Frío
Third Sector For Social Action Platform Association
European Union Intellectual Property Office
Organización Nacional De Ciegos Españoles
Centros Comerciales Carrefour
Carrefour Property España
Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy Wind Farms
- Advising Iberdrola Generación España on various matters related to the electricity sector and on administrative proceedings and judicial review litigation in the field of electricity generation.
- Advising several Amazon companies on all types of legal administrative issues.
- Advising Cruz Roja Epañola on various administrative appeals filed against the debt claimed by the Spanish Administration.
The public law practice at Gómez-Acebo & Pombo remains a standout in the market for its profound knowledge of infrastructure, public procurement, concessions and disputes. Carlos Vázquez leads the team, with experience handling contracts and concessions as well as other matters in the energy, infrastructure, water and environmental law spheres, supported closely by the ‘excellent‘ Juan Alfonso Santamaría and Irene Fernández Puyol, a key name for clients in the healthcare and life sciences sectors who is highly praised for her ‘ability to work as a team with the client‘. Key moves to further consolidate its standing include the arrival of Santiago Garrido from Hogan Lovells International LLP, as well as Borja Carvajal and ‘reference‘ counsel Pedro Soto, who both joined from KPMG Abogados, Spain.
Other key lawyers:
‘Availability, closeness, agility and professionalism. It is possible to obtain comprehensive solutions for the different projects we undertake.’
‘The public law team formed by Juan Alfonso Santamaría and Irene Fernández Puyol is excellent. Their availability, ability to meet deadlines and genuine concern for the client is appreciated.’
‘Irene Fernández Puyol is an excellent professional, with positive energy and the ability to work as a team with the client, whatever their profile, commendable. Her defense of interests before third parties and her empathy and rigor make her a key support.’
‘Availability, technical knowledge, ability to understand the client, proactivity.’
‘Santiago Garrido: deep technical knowledge, spatial vision of the issues, team coordination, etc.’
‘The professionalism of the team members and the availability of access whenever the client needs it.’
‘Irene Fernández Puyol and Carlos Vázquez Cobos are excellent professionals who advise clients in the best defense of their interests.’
‘What makes the team different in this practice are the people. Pedro Soto is a reference lawyer in the practice. He is an extraordinary professional, with outstanding technical skills and an excellent commercial approach. He is a person who gets the transactions done, but who is also capable of discarding one when it corresponds. Highly recommended.’
Cámara de Comercio de Madrid
Federación Española de Municipios y Provincias
Colegio General del Notariado
Taconic Capital Advisors
Técnicas Valencianas del Agua
Bristol Mayer Squibb
Moove Cars Group
Sociedad Concesionaria del Nuevo Hospital de Vigo
Real Madrid Club de Fútbol
Puerto de Valencia
Ministerio de Transportes, Movilidad y Agencia urbana
Galp New Energies
Organizaciones Profesionales Agrarias
- Advised Meridiam on its acquisition of eight concessions to Acciona.
- Advised a client on the sales process pertaining to plots located in the Port of Valencia.
- Advised Mutua Madrileña concerning its legal defence in relation to the appeal filed by the association for the protection of Torres Colón against the project for the renovation and rehabilitation thereof.
Linklaters thrives in the public law space, guided by extensive expertise in regulated sectors, which places it ‘at the level of the best national law firms‘. The practice is divided into three key areas made up of standalone regulatory advice, transactional matters and complex regulatory proceedings. José Giménez steers the practice, which is most notably recognised by clients in the energy, infrastructure and telecoms sectors, specifically when seeking advice in contentious matters. Among recent highlights, the team, which includes counsel Roberto Sánchez and managing associate Mario García, represented Iberdrola in a successful judicial challenge to an economic mechanism before the Court of Justice of the European Union and the Spanish Supreme Court.
‘The most remarkable thing is that, although it is a team that advises on all branches of public law and energy, when dealing with any issue with them it always seems that one is receiving advice from a specialist team.’
‘In public law, Linklaters has developed a team that has fully consolidated over the past few years. In size and variety of issues that can be dealt with, they are perfectly at the level of the best national law firms.’
‘The quality of the work and their dedication. In addition, many are relatively young lawyers, which makes them stand out in the market. They continue to expand the team and attract talent.’
‘A flexible and well-coordinated team that allows integration with the client’s in-house lawyers for more effective advice aimed at implementing the company’s strategy.’
‘Active listening to the client to propose individualised creative solutions that allow satisfying the specific needs of the client in each case.’
‘Collaboration and knowledge of the business and operations to guide the needs.’
The highly acclaimed public law team at Pérez-Llorca offers its strong knowledge of regulatory, litigation and public enterprise transactions, covering disputes before courts at both an EU and national level, public procurement and infrastructure matters, and deals involving regulated assets. Leading the practice is Juan Manuel Rodríguez Cárcamo, who is active in a range of matters, with a recent highlight including the successful representation of Banco Santander in a preliminary ruling referred to the Court of Justice of the European Union. Other notable figures include public procurement expert Elena Veleiro and Natalia Olmos, who was promoted to partner in January 2021.
Hospital de Majadahonda
El Corte Inglés
- Advised Air Europa as it entered into a syndicated loan agreement for a period of five years valued at €141m, partially guaranteed by the Spanish government.
- Advised Banco Santander on the preliminary ruling referred to the European Court of Justice by the Court of Appeal of La Coruña (C-410/20).
- Advised El Corte Inglés on a significant management restructuring in its history, designing – from a regulatory and corporate governance point of view – the new decision-making structure for the company at senior management level.
Uría Menéndez features a market-leading practice characterised by ‘an excellent team of lawyers‘ dedicated to public law issues, ‘with great technical knowledge and a business vision that gives enormous added value to their advice’. Among its key areas of expertise, the firm specialises in regulatory and litigation matters, considered a standout name for clients in the finance, energy, infrastructure, railway, natural resources, telecoms and healthcare sectors. Mariano Magide, who ‘combines technical knowledge with great practicality‘ leads the team, which also includes José Miguel Fatás and associate Xavier Codina.
‘Uría has an excellent team of lawyers. They have in-depth knowledge of public law in general. They know the procedures and give excellent advice on the matter.’
‘Uría usually has the best and strives to provide a high quality service, above average. That differentiates it in the market. Mariano Magide represents that profile of an excellent lawyer: he has a deep knowledge of administrative law and is very commercial with clients.’
‘Experts in public law, with great technical knowledge and a business vision that gives enormous added value to their advice.’
‘Mariano Magide is a great expert in public law, combines technical knowledge with great practicality in the matter.’
‘Manuel Vélez is a lawyer with a very deep knowledge of the sector regulations, which allows the risks of the transaction to be correctly evaluated and weighted.’
‘Team with depth of resources, which allows facing stages with exceptional workloads.’
‘The two characteristics that stand out from the office are the attention, they are always there when needed, and the training, constantly updated with the latest news.’
Nuevo Hospital de Burgos
Minera Los Frailes
AMC Mining Spain
Grupo México S.A.B de C.V.
Cintra Autopista del Sol, C.E.S.A.
SNCF Voyageurs and Ouigo, S.A.U.
The team at Allen & Overy is ‘very efficient and technically exceptional‘, a characteristic which stands parallel to the fact it ‘offers new and innovative points of view‘ in public law matters. The department, led by the ‘exceptional‘ Pablo Mayor, sees the infrastructure, energy, telecoms, financial and transport sectors as key industries, with the practice particularly active in urban regeneration projects and concession contracts. Counsel Victoria Martín, who adds ‘great technical knowledge‘ to the offering, is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
Victoria Martín; Enrique Díaz-Mauriño
‘Allen & Overy’s team is very efficient and technically exceptional. They are always ready to give a quick and agile response to the needs of the client.’
‘Victoria Martín is a lawyer with great technical knowledge of administrative law, excelling both in the preparation of legal reports, the management and handling of contentious-administrative lawsuits.’
‘Pablo Mayor is an exceptional partner with great technical knowledge of public law and administration. Both stand out for their availability to the client and for their great knowledge of the sector in which the clients operate.’
‘The quality, professionalism, depth and level of service of the public law department is unmatched. It is a guarantee of technical development and with a pragmatism and a proximity to the client’s business that speeds up the relationship and the resolution of the matters entrusted to them.’
‘Pablo Mayor is a differential element and has formed a team of great quality in which Enrique Díaz-Mauriño stands out for his great technical level.’
‘They offer new and innovative points of view, always taking into account the importance that the precedent always has in law.’
Distrito Castellana Norte
Abertis Infraestructuras and Abertis Autopistas
Iridium, Sacyr, Globalvia and Acciona
- Advising BBVA on all administrative law issues, including the implementation of the partial reform plan of Paseo de la Castellana in Madrid.
- Advised Cellnex on all matters relating to the services provided by the company.
- Advising Abertis on all matters regarding its public contracts, concessions in Spain, consultations and administrative proceedings.
Baker McKenzie is a popular choice among household name companies seeking up-to-date advice on administrative litigation and foreign investments, with one client noting that the practice is ‘constantly updated on the regulations‘. Antonio Morales leads the team from Madrid with ‘wide and extensive experience‘, accompanied at the helm by Xavier Junquera, who is based in Barcelona. Morales stands out for his work in the energy and natural resources sector, while Junquera offers broad expertise in disputes and investment projects; Elisabet Cots adds to the firm’s efforts in administrative compliance, license schemes and public procurement matters.
Other key lawyers:
Elisabet Cots; Nataly Trenkamp
‘Their knowledge of digital markets and the functioning of the public administration in Spain. The team led by Xavier Junquera has been a pioneer in large cases of regulatory intervention in disruptive business models.’
‘Xavier Junquera and Nataly Trenkamp have a deep understanding of the digital market and regulatory restrictions in Spain and the EU. Very few lawyers in Spain have this level of expertise. Their availability, good collaboration with the client and ability to propose viable alternatives for this type of business.’
‘It is a highly specialised practice that is constantly changing, which is why it requires the legal team to be constantly updated on the regulations and also participate in work forums in the different organisations where they work on the preparation of the regulations to be approved.’
Naturgy Eergy Group
Red Eléctrica de España
Renowa Solar Power
Distrito Castellana Norte
Holaluz Clidom Energy
Dominio de Pingus
KKH Property Investors
Griffith Foods Group
Generalitat de Catalunya – Departament de Territori i Sostenibilitat
Jaén Plaza Retail Park
Zimmer Biomet Spain
Caja de Seguros Reunidos, Compañía de Seguros y Reaseguros
Entidad de conservación de La Moraleja
Consell Comarcal la Cerdanya
- Advising Idealista on the contentious-administrative appeal filed by the company against a Resolution of the Barcelona City Council.
- Represented Airbnb in several administrative litigation proceedings and sanctioning proceedings for alleged tourism infringements in different locations in Spain.
- Advising Consell Comarcal la Cerdanya on an administrative litigation procedure initiated by the City Council of Bellver.
The growing public law group at CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo features experts in public procurement, administrative claims, judicial reviews and regulatory aspects of M&A transactions, with an impressive portfolio of clients including the likes of Iberdrola Renovables and Mapfre. With extensive experience in the electricity and gas sectors, Ignacio Grangel heads the team, which includes public affairs expert Alfonso Codes and Javier Torre de Silva, a specialist in contentious matters. Counsel José Luis Pérez-Campoamor is another standout, with counsel Juan Moreno joining from Linklaters in March 2022 to bolster the firm’s contentious offering.
‘The treatment and collaboration together with competitive prices and adjusted to the scope and dimension of the work.’
Olympia Sports Investments
Ontower Telecom Infraestructuras
- Advised Siemens Gamesa on the sale of a major portfolio of wind farms located in Spain, France, Italy and Greece.
- Advised Iberdrola Renovables on appeals in cassation challenging the decisions of the Júcar River Basin Authority, concerning the hydroelectric power exploitation fee, free energy and compensation for energy reserved for the State for hydroelectric installations.
- Represented Orange in several cassation appeals admitted (ongoing) and one already upheld by the Supreme Court regarding the legal consideration of certain telecom infrastructures.
Jointly led by Lucas Osorio and Fernando Calancha Marzana, who joined the firm in February 2022 and has ‘extensive experience in the public sector’, the ‘highly qualified and multidisciplinary team‘ at Hogan Lovells International LLP excels in public procurement, complex disputes and PPPs, with Osorio noted as a key contact for the latter. Supported by David Antón and associate Borja Fernández, the team advises public entities, waste management entities as well as leading infrastructure, construction, mining, pharmaceutical and transportation companies. In January 2022, Santiago Garrido left the firm.
‘It is a highly qualified and multidisciplinary team, allowing the same legal problem to be reviewed from several areas at the same time (Public, litigation, competition). Compared to other firms, they stand out in the quality of their advice, agility and in their business knowledge.’
‘The main thing is the solid knowledge in matters of public law and its extensive experience. They understand the needs of the business and are available, allowing them to meet the required deadlines.’
‘Fernando Calancha is an excellent lawyer, with extensive experience in the public sector.’
Transportes Ferroviarios de Madrid
RiverRock European Capital Partners
Ghesa Ingeniería y Tecnología
- Advised Infravía on the sale of its 33.4% stake in Metro de Málaga to Vauban Infraestructure, a French fund specialised in investing in infrastructure linked to Natixis.
- Advised Alfanar on the filing of the access conflict with the National Commission of Markets and Competition against the actions taken by Ibernova Promociones and the decision issued by the grid manager, Red Eléctrica de España.
- Advised AXA on its acquisition of 99% of Grupo Igualatorio Cantabria.
With an emphasis on concessions and PPP schemes, the public law department at Ramón y Cajal Abogados is often retained by construction and public service groups as well as energy, industrial and pharmaceutical companies for regulatory and public law advice. Within this area of specialisation, the department is also sought by public entities and companies belonging to the public sector, with Pablo Silván leading the team’s efforts. Also active in this regard are Jose Ignacio Vega, specialised in public procurement and public authority assets, and Carlos Melón, who is noted for PPPs.
FCC Medio Ambiente
Iridium Concesiones de Infraestructuras
Madrid Calle 30
Mémora Servicios Funerarios
Canal de Isabel II
Hotel Business Association of Madrid
Almería Gypsum and Pladur Gypsum
Consenur and Ectec
- Defended FCC Construcción against a joint venture led by Obrascón Huarte Laín in connection with the awarding to a consortium led by FCC Construcción of a public works contract for the construction of a new road.
- Represented Iridium Concesiones de Infraestructuras against a Spanish municipality regarding the liquidation of a concession agreement.
- Advised Almería Gypsum and Pladur Gypsum (subsidiaries of the ETEX group) in different legal proceedings regarding the lack of renovation of gypsum quarries mining concessions.
The highly regarded public and regulatory law group at Andersen offers comprehensive advice in the fields of energy and natural resources and transport and mobility, acting for notable companies and public authorities in environmental, urban planning and infrastructure matters. Managing partner José Vicente Morote stands at the forefront of these efforts, active in a broad spectrum of public and regulatory law issues, with Arancha Bengoechea also noted for her wide expertise. Additional standouts include Pedro Rubio and José Miguel López, the latter of whom joined in 2021. The arrival of administrative law specialist Victor Horcajuelo from Bird & Bird in May 2022 was another recent development.
‘European and global vision. At the forefront of technology.’
Ministerio de Transporte, Movilidad y Agenda Urbana
Soltec Power Holdings
J. García Carrión
OHLA Servicios Ingesan
UTE Indra Sistemas S.A.-Santa Barbara Sistemas
VFS Global Group
Ministerio de Asuntos Económicos y Transformación Digital
- Advised UTE Mundiplan on the two last tenders for a public contract in Spain promoted by the Imserso.
- Advised Auro Group on claims against the government because of the Royal Decree that banned VTC licences (vehicles with driver) operating on urban journeys from October 2022.
- Advised Simon Casas Production SAS and Nautalia Viajes on the public tender for the management of the Madrid bullring Las Ventas.
The ‘highly specialised team‘ at Deloitte Legal demonstrates ‘extensive knowledge of public law‘, with clients noting that it is ‘at the forefront of regulatory changes‘, a characteristic which allows it to provide comprehensive coverage of the energy, infrastructure, TMT, healthcare, transport and financial sectors. María Guinot leads the practice, which is often engaged to provide litigation services as well as urban planning and public procurement advice. The team includes Salvi Pagès and Carlos Tallón, adding to the firm’s public procurement and concession project expertise. In March 2022, the firm saw the departure of Antonio Luis Bañón, followed by the departure of José María Barrios to DLA Piper in January 2023.
‘It is a highly specialised team, reliable and with absolute availability. They show great knowledge of the sector, which allows them to always offer practical and executive solutions. In terms of quality, absolutely comparable to any other large firm in the market.’
‘Deloitte Legal currently has one of the most reliable public law teams on the market, both because of the enormous quality demonstrated in the wide variety of services that they are capable of providing -advice on both administrative and judicial procedures, preparation of reports and opinions, etc-, as well as for the quality of the advice provided in transactions with a high regulatory component.’
‘The plus is provided by María Guinot for her knowledge and for the effort she makes to adapt her advice to the client’s needs. Actively listening.’
‘María Guinot and Carlos Tallón are highly involved and collaborative on issues and respond quickly and effectively to queries. They have extensive knowledge of public law practice and are at the forefront of regulatory changes. They are also friendly and approachable.’
‘The knowledge of the business and the experience and skills they have, which are very high.’
‘Closeness, availability and total empathy with client needs.’
Spanish Executive Resolution Authority
Autoridad de Resolución Ejecutiva
Parques Reunidos Servicios Centrales
DIF Capital Partners
Eroski Sociedad Cooperativa
Enel Green Power España
Autoridad del Transporte Metropolitano
Asociación de Municipios para la Movilidad y el Transporte Urbano
Ayuntamiento de la Ametlla del Vallés
- Advised on a judicial appeal relating to Banco Santander before the National High Court and the Supreme Court against a resolution issued by the Ministry of Economic Affairs.
- Advised IRIDIUM Concesiones de Infraestructuras on administrative procedures filed for the declaration of impossibility of performance and the re-establishment of economic equilibrium of seven concession contracts.
- Acted in a judicial appeal relating to SLR Bahía Hotels before the Canary High Court and the Spanish Supreme Court against a resolution issued by the State Secretary of Budgets and Expenses.
Eversheds Sutherland‘s offering in public law is divided into complex government litigation and transactional work, with the pharmaceutical, health, transport and energy sectors taking centre stage. Alberto Dorrego, an ‘indisputable benchmark in the field‘, and Andrés Jimenéz Diaz combine expertise in public contracts, infrastructure, public service concessions, PPP projects and public procurement to lead the team, which includes senior associate Javier Juan, who focuses on subsidies, community funds, environmental issues and dispute resolution. In May 2022, the firm hired associate Natalia Mejón from KPMG Abogados, Spain.
‘They have a very solid team that is capable of responding urgently to the needs of internal legal advice. They have a lot of knowledge in administrative law and in the handling of lawsuits against the public administrations.’
‘Growing team led by Alberto Dorrego and characterised by a high degree of innovation in the exercise of the practice.’
‘Alberto Dorrego is an indisputable benchmark in the field of public law and always provides an additional plus of excellence that in complex matters is completely differentiating.’
‘What makes this practice unique is the professional level of its partners, as well as the security and confidence that they transmit every time a matter is given to them. One is certain that the matter entrusted to it is in the best hands and will be defended in the best possible way.’
‘What makes it stand out is the professional prestige of its partners, in particular Alberto Dorrego, as well as their availability and closeness. He is one of the lawyers who best knows the transport sector.’
‘It is a firm that grows fast, does not stop improving, works with values and is client focused. They have very good professionals in all areas.’
‘They are great professionals, they also have an excellent way of working. They are very flexible and always available.’
‘The outstanding person is Alberto Dorrego, as he is technically highly qualified and provides quick and quality responses to client needs. His qualities are availability, understanding of the needs of the companies he advises and his great knowledge of administrative law and public administration.’
Select Service Partner Grop
Global Exchange Group
Marcas de Restauración
Ortho Clinical Diagnostics
World Dutty Free
Areas de Restauración
The ‘exceptional‘ public law practice at GTA Villamagna Abogados stands out for its ‘great knowledge and experience in the area‘, with the team a popular choice for clients seeking advice on the construction and operation of public infrastructure, including highways and ports, and the management of public services. The team, led by Ernesto García-Trevijano, who ‘perfectly combines knowledge and experience‘, Marta Plaza and Jesús Estrada, also features senior associate Javier García, active in public procurement work.
Other key lawyers:
‘This is an exceptional public law firm. What makes it unique is its great knowledge and experience in the area -especially concessions- along with its ability to understand the needs of the public interest and make them compatible with the defense of private interests. The most powerful firm in concessions. I’d highlight its relationship with the client ability to listen, understand and dissect the problem to offer the best solution. In the face of any inconvenience or position of the opposing party, exceptional ability to offer satisfactory alternatives. Excellent negotiating skills.’
‘Ernesto García-Trevijano is a source of knowledge in public law. One of the best Spanish lawyers in public law. His past experience as a lawyer of the Council of State, his many publications, his unsurpassed knowledge of the Administration and his extensive professional practice, endow him with unbeatable rigor and facility to provide solutions to complex issues. His great humility and closeness in dealing with the client. Marta Plaza is a great urban law attorney. With a powerful training and very fast and skillful in meetings.’
‘Ernesto García-Trevijano has a deep knowledge of public law due to his experience and as a lawyer of the Council of State. The speed in understanding the problem, its analysis and resolution capacity are excellent.’
‘It is a multidisciplinary team that combines new technologies with traditional ones, so that the client always feels well advised. Well-planned strategies from the beginning to the end of each matter. They have been able to advance in the new means of communication caused by the pandemic, without abandoning close and continuous contact with the client.’
‘Jesús Estrada is highly appreciated for his knowledge and the way he deals with each problem, making the client feel comfortable with the chosen option, and bringing each matter to a successful conclusion. Ernesto García-Trevijano perfectly combines knowledge and experience, is able to adapt to complex situations and provide an appropriate solution.’
Autopista Madrid Sur Concesionaria Española
Autopista Madrid Levante Concesionaria
Autopista Guadalmedina Concesionaria Española
Macquarie Asset Management
British Columbia Investment Management Corporation
Ute Ferrovial Agroman
Tranvía De Parla
Madrid 407, Sociedad Concesionaria
Xallas Electricidad Y Aleaciones
Vigo Cruise Terminal
Panattoni Spain Development
- Advising Autopista Madrid Sur Concesionaria Española, Autopista Madrid Levant Concesionaria and Autopista Guadalmedina Concesionaria Española on several judicial proceedings before the Supreme Court against the Spanish State.
- Advised Macquarie Asset Management, British Columbia Investment Management and Mea on the acquisition of a solar energy company.
- Advising Ute Ferrovial Agroman and Constructora Peache on a judicial procedure initiated before the Public Health Administration.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP houses a team capable of handling a range of complex public law and regulatory issues, covering public procurement, litigation, public domain, administrative procedures and subsidies work. Iria Calviño leads the team, which attracts major corporations, global investment banks, equity sponsors and public entities with ties to the energy, natural resources, environment and infrastructure sectors. Other key figures include Ignacio Paz and José Ramón Mourenza.
Acciona Generación Renovable
Autoridad portuaria de A Coruña
Berkeley Minera España
DIF Infrastructure Partners
Google Ireland Limited
Erion Mantenimiento Ferroviario
Fundación Centro Tecnológico Soermar
- Advising Acciona on the analysis of the legal framework applicable to the eventual waiver of the specific remuneration regime in renewable generation facilities.
- Advising A Coruña Port Authority on the development of a renewable electricity self-consumption project in port facilities, as an essential part of the transition to the Green Port Project.
- Advising Berkeley Minera España on several contentious-administrative appeals in relation to the collection of a wide range of permits for starting the mining works of its uranium mine.
Bird & Bird‘s public law expertise is most recognisable when it comes to regulatory compliance and public contracts, with the energy and utilities, life sciences, telecoms, and media and entertainment industries being key sectors for the firm. Managing partner and expert litigator Coral Yáñez heads the practice, with a specialisation in pharmaceutical law. Senior associate Enrique Rivas focuses on public procurement.
Other key lawyers:
Agencia de Calidad y Evaluación Sanitarias de Cataluña
Edgewell Personal Care Spain SL
- Advising AQuAS on two pre-commercial public procurement projects, linked to regulatory aspects in the areas of life sciences and innovation.
- Advising Edgewell Personal Care Spain on a file opened by the AEMPS based on an inspection that was carried out on companies in the sunscreen cream market.
DLA Piper‘s public law practice stands out for its knowledge of applicable rules and regulations, with project finance for infrastructure of works and public services, government procurement, environmental law and public authority asset liability taking centre stage. José Manuel Sala, noted by the firm’s clientele as ‘exceptional, due to his experience and quality’ leads the team, which includes senior associate Carlos Daza, recommended for public procurement and public asset matters. In January 2023, the firm hired José María Barrios from Deloitte Legal to strengthen these efforts.
‘José Manuel Sala is exceptional, due to his experience and quality.’
Intermodalidad de Levante
I-DE Redes Inteligentes
Asociación de Colegios Privados e Independientes
- Advising Gasnam-Confebus-Atuc on possible mechanisms to restore the balance of concessions in the face of rising gas and fuel prices.
- Providing recurring advice to Iberdola on regulatory issues in appeals before the Supreme Court regarding regulatory issues.
- Advising on the coordination of a public tender organised in Denmark by Femern Bælt for the task of equipping the Femern Belt tunnel between Denmark and Germany.
The public law team at DWF-RCD specialises in the definition and execution of entrepreneurship policies, the implementation of strategies to foster regional industries and the implementation of integral R&D policies, especially in the health, science and research spaces. Public law specialist Ignasi Costas and administrative and urban planning expert Eva Giménez share leadership of the team, which is a popular choice for regional and local governments. Judith Saladrigas, Alejandro Griffiths and recently promoted partner Alberto Ouro are additional key contacts at the firm.
‘Eva Giménez offers experience and knowledge. ’
The public law and regulated sectors offering at EY Abogados stands out for providing ‘completely tailored’ advice, regularly ‘active in procedural matters’ relating to the development and implementation of business strategies. Taxation and legislative and administrative matters are common for the team, which is led by the ‘exceptional’ Luis Ques, an expert in regulatory areas such as energy and telecoms. In April 2022, Félix Plasencia Sanchez left the firm.
‘Their services are very satisfactory. The advice is completely tailored.’
‘Luis Ques is exceptional.’
‘The EY public law team unites great administrative knowledge with good ideas on public procurement, the pharmaceutical sector and business vision. They have no preconceived ideas and are capable of operating in litigation throughout Spain.’
‘The EY team efficiently takes advantage of its recognised experience of acting before the Courts of the European Union for the benefit of its client.’
‘In addition to being active in procedural matters, they have in-depth knowledge of antitrust law applied to energy that few law firms can offer.’
Andaluza Energy Agency
Albertis Autopistas España
Iridium Concesiones de Infraestructuras
Experos En Servicios de Consultoria Exes
Merck, Sharp & Dohme de España
Bristol Myers Squibb
- Providing advice to BP on the application for European subsidies for the promotion of a green hydrogen project.
- Advised Powen on various issues related to the legal interpretation of the subsidies granted to promote its self-consumption photovoltaic projects.
- Providing legal and regulatory advice to Grupo T-Solar Global in several matters related to the developing of renewable projects.
Led by Ana López Carrascal, who is noted by clients for her ‘very high commitment’ to matter outcomes, the regulatory, administrative and competition law group at KPMG Abogados, Spain handles a wide spectrum of administrative law issues, including the implementation of new regulations, public procurement, administrative proceedings and the analysis of regulatory aspects in M&A transactions. Practice director Borja Martínez is another standout practitioner, specialising in competition law. Borja Carvajal left the firm in December 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very well trained, organised and highly efficient team.’
‘Ana López Carrascal offers maximum quality, always thinking of adding value. Very high commitment to the result. Always available.’
‘There is great internal coordination between different departments of the firm, which allows a 360 degree vision of the problems raised. Billing systems are extremely efficient and make work easy.’
‘It has associates with a very deep knowledge of the sector and who are totally involved in the analysis of the issues. Ana López Carrascal is a perfect example of this.’
Entidad Publica Empresarial Administrador de Infraestructuras Ferroviarias
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Sociedad Anónima Belga de los Pinares de El Paular
Asociación de Clubes de Baloncesto
MVA ASOCIADOS provides ‘rigorous and detailed legal advice‘ in litigation proceedings at a national and European level, public infrastructure processes, renewable energy projects and public property matters. Gervasio Martínez-Villaseñor leads the offering, with experience acting before administrative courts at all levels and an ‘in-depth knowledge‘ of the energy sector, an area of focus shared by Javier Montalvo, a key contact for renewable energy matters. Gonzalo Rubio, who demonstrates ‘great knowledge of public law‘, is also noted.
‘The members of the team complement each other to provide rigorous and detailed legal advice. They understand the client’s sector and the key challenges quickly and provide fast responses.’
‘The team of lawyers usually varies depending on the legal matter to obtain efficiency and the best outcome possible. Their availability is remarkable.’
‘They always meet expectations and provide specific and successful legal solutions for each case.’
Red Eléctrica de España
EDP España Group
Suma Capital SGEIC
BP Gas Europe
Armando Álvarez Group
Engie Spain Group
Naturgy Energy Group
Hanwha Energy Corporation
Villar Mir Group
Alpiq Energía España
- Advised REE in the administrative and judicial proceedings in relation to REE’s actions, duties and obligations as the power transmission grid operator.
- Advised Sacyr Concesiones on the permitting of different facilities located in Navarra, including assessment on urban planning, environmental and other public law matters.
- Successfully represented Repsol before the Spanish Supreme Court in the appeal filed against the regulations establishing the funding obligations of social bonus.
With a focus on urban planning, regulatory and public law matters, ONTIER is often retained to advise on sanctioning administrative law, an offering jointly led by Francisco Loriente, who joined from the State Attorney’s Office in January 2022, and the ‘outstanding‘ Jorge Álvarez González, a well-known name in the administrative law field active in public procurement matters and sanctioning procedures. Also noted is Beatriz Fernández, a standout from the associate ranks focused on judicial proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
‘Jorge Álvarez González is an outstanding lawyer.’
‘Knowledge of the subjects, availability for work, accredited experience.’
‘One of the most important advantages is the knowledge they have of the client’s company and its activity.’
‘Jorge Álvarez González is a person with a lot of experience, both doctrinal and in the practice of public law. He is personally involved in the files, and is highly available and accessible.’
‘There is very good team coordination, and this translates to the fact that they always cover the client’s needs at great speed.’
‘Jorge Álvarez González has a great control of matters, and resolves doubts quickly. The work, both his and that of the team, is fast and very good.’
‘It is a perfectly coordinated and very well managed team. In client service and advice, it is perceived that they have analysed the issues together in the team and the proposed solution is the result of prior analysis and consensus.’
Antonio Del Valle Ruiz
Fundacion Barrié De La Maza
ALSA Group of Companies
Imasa Ingeniería y Proyectos
Construcciones y Promociones Coprosa
Spain Film Commission
Construcciones y Auxiliar De Ferrocarriles
RR De Acuña y Ass
- Advised Construcción y Auxiliar de Ferrocarril on two special administrative appeals filed before the Catalonian Administrative Court of Public Procurement Procedures against the adjudication of a public contract of construction works.
- Advising FCC Aqualia on the judicial procedure filed against the resolution issued by the Avilés City Council approving compensation of €2m.
- Advising the Spain Film Commission on the management of the first subvention granted from the Next Generation Fund through the Plan de Recuperación, Transformación y Resiliencia.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP‘s offering extends to public sector entities, private enterprises and individuals, with main areas of expertise including public procurement, liability of public authorities, subsidies and state aid, and the development of transport, mobility, infrastructure and energy projects. Practitioners driving these efforts include Miguel Nieto, who leads the firm’s transport and mobility sector group, and senior associate Javier Alagón, a key contact for energy and infrastructure regulatory matters.
Minister of Transport and Mobility
Indigo Infra España
ABO Wind España
Alain Afflelou España
Bodegas Amezola de la Mora
TK Elevadores España
Energía Olmedo-Ourense Fase I
- Providing support for the drafting of the Spanish Law “Ley de Movilidad Sostenible y Financiación del Transporte” for the Minister of Transport and Mobility of Spain.
- Advising Siemens-NTT Data consortium, which was awarded the contract to develop Renfe’s new intermodal platform, Renfe as a Service.
- Acted as legal advisors of several clients, jointly with AT Kearney, in the development of projects that could be financed through next generation funds.
Toda & Nel-lo
With a focus on the energy, renewables and telecoms sectors, the public law experts at Toda & Nel-lo are noted for ‘being specialised advisers, with excellence and depth of legal knowledge‘, capable in public procurement, public-private partnerships and contentious issues. Significant figures in the practice include Ignacio Toda, Ricard Nel-Lo and Javier García in Barcelona, and Pablo García Manzano in Madrid, leading the practice jointly.
‘Good adaptation to the needs of the project in real time.’
‘Legal professionalism and strategic vision.’
‘The firm stands out over other firms for being specialised advisers, with excellence and depth of legal knowledge.’
37th America’s Cup
Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya
Cámara de España
Fira Internacional de Barcelona
- Advised Barcelona on its bid to become the 37th host of the America’s Cup.
- Advised FGC in relation to various problems arising in connection with the new tender for the purchase and maintenance of 10 electric train units.
- Provided advice on the age classification of Planeta DeAgostini collectibles.
Villar y Asociados Abogados
Villar y Asociados Abogados covers administrative contracts, energy regulation and urban planning matters, with particular strength in infrastructure and public services contracts. Led by Jose Luis Villar, the firm’s client portfolio features notable construction companies, concessionaires and public administrations. José María Echevarría is another key practitioner, focused on administrative contracting, while Jorge Galán specialises in public work and energy regulation.
‘Its most remarkable characteristic is the high technical capacity of its partners and team. This is coupled with a high degree of involvement.’
‘Any matter that is discussed with the team is shared immediately, so there is always attention. Personalized and updated. In this team, in addition to being up to date on the procedures, the roles are distributed in such a way that each one stands out in their abilities. In other words, some analyze the documentation, others prepare answers, and others go to court for hearings, taking advantage of the best qualities of each one.’
‘José Luis Villar, José Maria Echevarria and Jorge Galan have a formidable knowledge of the subject area. In each matter, they demonstrate a high technical capacity and proactivity in the search for solutions. They show a high degree of involvement and quality in their service.’
Hospital Campus de la Salud Ute
Junta Central de Usuarios del Río Jalón
Cavosa Obras y Proyectos
Asociación de Acción Ferroviaria
Ace-Servicios de Gestión de Energía
Valoriza Servicios de Infraestructuras
- Advised FCC Construcción and Acciona Construcción on a judicial proceeding against ADIF related to the construction of a railway platform before the Spanish Supreme Court.
- Advised Hospital Campus de la Salud Ute in an administrative claim made against the Andalusian Health Care Service.
- Advised Comsa and Contratas Iglesias in the filing of a claim on behalf of Ute Langreo against the Principality of Asturias, Department of Infrastructure, Environment and Climatic Change.