With ‘versatility and excellent knowledge’, Clifford Chance is well versed across the ‘breadth of areas’ in public law. Clients include corporations, banks and financial entities, governments, public companies, international development organisations and infrastructure funds. As well as providing a strong practice in public sector financing, the practice also assists in negotiations with regulators. Litigation experience in the area covers public contracts and infrastructure, telecoms, energy, life sciences and financial regulatory matters. Jaime Almenar leads the team and specialises in energy regulation, telecoms, financial regulation, public procurement and market unity. Also noted are José Luis Zamarro, counsel Carme Briera and senior associate Clara Alcaraz.
Public law in Spain
Other key lawyers:
Clara Alcaraz; José Luis Zamarro; Carme Briera
‘Excellent knowledge of the sector and adaptation to business demands.’
‘Its versatility and excellent knowledge of the business. The breadth of areas also facilitates the development of legal actions.’
METRO LIGERO OESTE
RED ELÉCTRICA DE ESPAÑA, S.A.
EVOLUTIO CLOUD ENABLER
ARES CAPITAL, S.A. / GRUPO MOOVE
KING STREET, TACONIC, SVP AND ATTESTOR
- Represented METRO LIGERO OESTE in an appeal against the balancing of the economy of a works concession contract to carry out a rail passenger service.
- Advises Iberdrola in a range of regulatory matters such as inter alia self-supply, electricity payments capacity and remuneration of renewable energy
- Advising Taconic in the legal due diligence and acquisition of the €70m credit rights held by Banco Santander against the Consorcio Valencia 2007, a public consortium in charge of the 32 and 33 America’s Cup.
Cuatrecasas has significant experience in public procurement and PPPs, energy, town planning, environment and other matters pertaining to highly regulated sectors. It combines this with knowledge of regional government, work methods and public authority procedures across the autonomous communities of Spain. The firm also represents clients in administrative litigation proceedings, including acting for large private companies and public administrations. Practice head Luis Pérez de Ayala specialises in administrative and regulatory law. He can also call on the expertise of Alberto Raventós, who handles litigation in civil, criminal and judicial review courts, as well as accounting and constitutional litigation.
Luis Pérez de Ayala
Other key lawyers:
COMPAÑÍA LOGÍSTICA DE HIDROCARBUROS (CLH)
MAJOREL SP SOLUTIONS
BFF FINANCE IBERIA
FORTRESS INVESTMENT GROUP
- Advising TOTAL on all regulatory matters related to the acquisition of EDP Comercializadora, which includes a portfolio of 2.5 million clients and two combined-cycle power plants with a capacity of 850MW.
- Advising COMPAÑIA LOGÍSTICA DE HIDROCARBUROS (CLH) on all regulatory matters related to a power purchase agreement with Axpo Iberia to buy renewable energy over 10 years.
- Advising ASENDIA on the liberalisation of the postal sector and the provision of services to sell and distribute mail, and other connected matters.
The public law department at Gómez-Acebo & Pombo has ‘great technical knowledge and very good communication skills’. The firm provides multi-disciplinary legal advice in administrative law and business matters. The practice is made up of ‘specialists in various regulated sectors’, including life sciences and food. Carlos Vázquez leads the department and focuses on water, waste, energy, environment, administrative and tax law. Key names in his team are Irene Fernández Puyol, who specialises in public procurement and infrastructure, and advisor Juan Alfonso Santamaría Pastor, who is an expert in public finance law.
Other key lawyers:
Juan Alfonso Santamaría Pastor; José Manuel Palau; Irene Fernández Puyol; Enrique Lucas; José Luis Palma
‘In the area of public and administrative law, highly trained professionals, with a deep involvement in the matters we entrust to them.’
‘Seek good coordination that allows comprehensive customer service that increases their confidence in the office. It compares very positively with the teams of other firms.’
‘The great attention showing a perfect knowledge of the question posed. The difference with the competitors is the possibility of previously raising the question so that, when the matter is discussed with the assigned lawyer, the work is advanced. Attention, knowledge, ability and disposition. Jose Manuel Palau and Josep Ortiz. ’
‘Gomez Acebo & Pombo offers us speed, quality and trust and for this reason we work with them. ‘
‘Agility, speed, seriousness, reliability and quality of service. Ander de Blas Galbete, Irene Fernández Puyol ’
‘Great technical knowledge and very good communication skills and dealing with the client.’
‘Our contact partner is José Manuel Palau. He is quick to grasp the essence of the problem, a good organizer, very willing to assist us in any circumstance, cordial in dealing and spares no effort.’
‘They have a response capacity according to the needs and urgencies of a company. In particular, their support during the Covid19 crisis has been critical.’
Cámara de Comercio de Madrid
Federación Española de Municipios y Provincias (FEMP)
Colegio General del Notariado
Taconic Capital Advisors
Técnicas Valencianas del Agua
Bristol Mayer Squibb
Moove Cars Group
Sociedad Concesionaria del Nuevo Hospital de Vigo
Diputación Provincial de Valencia (Provincial Council of Valencia)
Autovía del Turia Concesionaria de la Generalitat Valenciana, S.A.
Region of Cantabria
Puerto de Valencia / VPI Logística
Ministerio de Transportes, Movilidad y Agencia urbana
Organizaciones Profesionales Agrarias (OIVE, INTERPORC, PROVACUNO, INFAOLIVA)
- Provided advice to BANK OF AMERICA MERRILL LYNCH and a group of other international investment funds as lenders of TP FERRO on Spanish public law in the international arbitration related to the termination of a concession agreement for a high-speed railway.
- Provides ongoing advice to the concessionaire company SOCIEDAD CONCESIONARIA DEL NUEVO HOSPITAL DE VIGO of the new hospital in the city of Vigo in relation to public law matters.
- Provided urban planning and judicial advice to INTU-EUROFOUND regarding the implementation of a large commercial and leisure complex in the municipality of Paterna.
Highlighted for its 'practical knowledge of the reality of the client and the authorities', Garrigues has a wide-ranging public law practice, providing advice on national and international planning, environment, regulation and administration matters. The firm is also well regarded for its ‘high-quality technical knowledge' and 'decisive approach'. Alfredo Fernández Rancaño is head of the firm’s administrative, zoning and planning law department. His team includes Miguel Loya del Río, who advises on administrative matters, regulation and litigation; and administrative law expert Javier Fernández Rivaya.
Alfredo Fernández Rancaño
Other key lawyers:
Javier Fernández Rivaya; David Arias Guedón; Javier Manchado de Armas; Miguel Loya del Río
‘Very accessible and quick response to inquiries.’
‘Accessibility and availability.’
‘Practical knowledge of the reality of the client and the authorities and management of relations with authorities at all levels.’
‘High-quality technical knowledge, but with pragmatism and a decisive approach.’
‘Transparency, they know when and how to report without disturbing, willing to help and adapt to changing circumstances.’
ENCASA CIBELES (GOLDMAN SACHS AND AZORA)
GRANT THORNTON CORPORATION, S.L.P.
CEETRUS URBAN SPAIN, S.A. (GRUPO AUCHAN)
IBERDROLA GENERACIÓN, S.A.U.
Organización Nacional de Ciegos Españoles (ONCE)
JAPAN TOBACCO INTERNATIONAL (JTI)
ASTRAZENECA FARMACEÚTICA SPAIN, S.A.
GREYSTAR REAL ESTATE PARTNERS – AXA IM – REAL ASSETS – CBRE
CENTROS COMERCIALES CARREFOUR, S.A.
CARREFOUR PROPERTY ESPAÑA, S.L. (GROUP CARREFOUR)
European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO)
AENA S.M.E., S.A.
- Provides ongoing administrative law advice to ENCASA CIBELES, GOLDMAN SACHS and AZORA on the design and implementation of the strategy to defend their rights and interests resulting from the annulment of a sale award of 32 property developments.
- Provides ongoing legal advisory services to Iberdrola Generación España on various matters related to the electricity sector and on administrative proceedings and judicial review litigation in the field of electricity generation.
- Advised several Amazon companies on all types of legal administrative issues and in the most diverse sectors applicable to the different retail and logistics activities carried out by Amazon.
Acting for public entities, Pérez-Llorca has expertise in a range of transactions involving regulated assets and other regulatory matters. The firm also stands out for its substantial litigation experience, in particular judicial proceedings relating to patrimonial administration liability, public procurement and infrastructure. Juan Manuel Rodríguez Cárcamo is an expert in public law and advises on public procurement, litigation (in the EU and national courts), infrastructure, project finance and transport. His team includes former state advocate Elena Veleiro, who handles public procurement, specifically in PPP and claims for administrative liability. José Ramón de Hoces left the firm for El Corte Inglés in 2020, and public law and litigation specialist Natalia Olmos was promoted to partner in 2021.
Juan Manuel Rodríguez Cárcamo
Other key lawyers:
José Ramón de Hoces; Elena Veleiro; Beatriz García; Natalia Olmos
Aena, S.M.E., S.A.
Obrascón Huarte Laín, S.A.
Vías y Construcciones, S.A.
Puentes y Calzadas Grupo de Empresas, S.A.
Greenward Partners, S.L.
- Advises Aena and, therefore, the Government of Spain, on multiple issues of great economic significance.
- Advised Mallorca Mega Resort regarding a discovery petition of one of their main competitors in the hotel and hospitality sector of Mallorca, related to one of the biggest hotels in Magaluf.
- Advised the shareholders of a highway concession to claim for damages against the Spanish government.
With ‘excellence, experience, a lot of technical knowledge and great commitment to the client', Uría Menéndez's public law department takes a cross-sector approach, with particular strength in finance, energy, infrastructure, transportation, natural resources, telecoms, water and health. In addition to its regulatory and litigation expertise, the department is known for public procurement, contracting work and health sector matters, where the department advises concessionaires of the public authorities and the main private health groups in Spain. Head of the public and environmental law team Mariano Magide stands out in the areas of constitutional and administrative law. Other key names for the firm are former lawyer for the state in the Spanish Constitutional Court Jesús Remón, and José Miguel Fatás, who advises on all aspects of administrative law, particularly in the telecoms and financial sectors, and also handles civil and administrative litigation and international arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
Jesús Remón; José Miguel Fatás; Daniel Ripley; Daniel Sarmiento; José Alberto Navarro; Manuel Vélez
‘The experience of the team and its knowledge of the applicable regulations.’
‘It is a team that stands out for its excellence, experience and a lot of technical knowledge and great commitment to the client. ‘
‘In the field of Public Law, they stand out for excellence of knowledge, experience and commitment.’
‘URIA MENÉNDEZ’s team, in my opinion, is a great team.’
‘It is a very prepared team. Partner Mariano Magide stands out.’
Grupo Agbar-Suez Environment
Ayuntamiento de Barcelona
Nuevo Hospital de Burgos
- Advised AENA regarding the impact of the Covid-19 health crisis on its activities, both from a regulatory perspective as well as in terms of its strategy in connection with the negotiation of its contracts with clients and suppliers.
- Advised Thales and Siemens (as a consortium) in litigation against ADIF (the manager of Spain’s railway infrastructure).
- Advising SNCF on its entry to the Spanish market (on permits, access to railway capacity and other matters).
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy is highlighted for its ‘knowledge of administrative law, for its solid legal grasp of the matter, for being efficient in giving answers to the client and for always being available for advice’. The firm is equipped to handle a broad range of administrative and regulatory issues, focusing on key sectors including infrastructure, transport, energy and TMT. The ‘excellent’ Pablo Mayor leads the team and ‘stands out for his closeness, empathy and simple solutions to complex problems’. Another key name in the area is counsel Victoria Martín, who is an ‘extraordinary expert of public administrative law, in the field of advice and also in litigation’.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are a very strong team.’
‘The Allen & Overy team in Public Law, formed by Pablo Mayor and Victoria Martín, make up a team of very high quality for their knowledge of administrative law, for their solid legal criteria on the matter, for being efficient in giving answers to the client and for always being available for advice.’
‘Pablo Mayor is an excellent lawyer, with a great knowledge of public and administrative law and with great knowledge of Public Administration. Always with wide availability to meet customer needs and very fast and efficient in responding. Victoria Martín is also an extraordinary expert of Public Administrative Law, both in the field of advice and also in litigation, very fast in giving quality answers and with full availability in responding to requests for legal advice. The rates are excellent.’
‘The great knowledge of public law they have and the good connection they maintain with their clients.’
‘In-depth knowledge of the legislation and its application to the specific case, customer orientation and pragmatism.’
‘Pablo Mayor, partner in charge of this area, stands out for his closeness, empathy and simple solutions to complex problems.’
Distrito Castellana Norte (Formerly Desarrollo Urbanístico Chamartín)
- Advising BBVA on administrative law issues, including the implementation of the partial reform plan of Paseo de la Castellana, the main North-South avenue in Madrid.
- Advised Cellnex on all matters relating to the services provided by the company. Such advice includes consultations, administrative proceedings and contentious administrative proceedings before the courts.
- Advised Abertis on all matters regarding its public contracts, concessions in Spain, consultations, administrative proceedings and contentious administrative proceedings before the courts.
With ‘true, deep expertise in the local urban law environment, combined with the service delivery of a global law firm’, Baker McKenzie's team has expertise in the key areas of regulatory advice, administrative law, administrative litigation, public tenders and the setting up of foreign investment projects. The highly regarded Antonio Morales specialises in the management of arbitration in international, national and regional courts, especially in the areas of energy, banking, aerospace, mining and infrastructure. He co-leads the team with ‘outstanding lawyer’ Xavier Junquera, who is noted for his ‘detailed knowledge of public law that enables him to achieve the clients' goals’.
Antonio Morales; Xavier Junquera
Other key lawyers:
Elisabet Cots; Jorge Gomez
‘The Baker team are not only excellent lawyers and people but also very passionate about their work, always going the extra mile for their client.’
‘Xavier Junquera is a technically excellent lawyer, with a detailed knowledge of public law that enables him to achieve the clients’ goals.’
‘Very professional and close to the interests of the client.’
‘The proximity and accessibility, in addition to their knowledge of the subject.’
‘Our company has very specific needs that are far from the most recurrent practice. This firm has been able to give us support and solutions for very specific procedures and procedures.’
‘True, deep expertise in the (complex, arcane, and difficult to navigate) local urban law environment, combined with the service delivery and standards associated with a global law firm.’
‘Xavier Junquera is an outstanding lawyer with a strong grasp of the complex urban law environment of Barcelona and, more broadly, Spain. Xavi is not, however, an academic, and has a knack for grasping the commercial impact and application of the law which not all lawyers have. ‘
‘ I have been working with Antonio for more than a dozen years. His status as a State Attorney gives him a great advantage over other competitors.’
‘Antonio Morales leads the practice and proves to be a very intelligent lawyer, a very good listener and with technical knowledge. His network of contacts is another very different asset in Antonio’s case.’
KKH Property Investors
Griffith Foods Group Inc.
Generalitat de Catalunya – Departament de Territori i Sostenibilitat
Jaén Plaza Retail Park, S.L.
Zimmer Biomet Spain, S.L.U
Caja de Seguros Reunidos, Compañía de Seguros y Reaseguros, S.A. (CASER)
Entidad de conservación de La Moraleja
- Advised investment management firm KKH Property Investors on the zoning and regulatory matters for the change of use of a large landmark hotel located in Sant Antoni de Calonge into residential use to build a luxury apartment complex.
- Advising real estate investor and asset manager Deka on the procedures to stop the occupation of part of the Triangle Shopping Mall in Barcelona by the Catalan Railway Public Company (Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya – FGC).
- Advised Booking.com regarding compliance with Spanish short-term rental regulations to help the company identify risks concerning its business operations in Spain.
The public law department at CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo ‘stands out for its commitment and the rigor with which it strives to understand the business and interests of its clients’. The firm has experience in administrative law, public procurement and regulatory law, particularly in matters relating to administrative contracts and concession agreements. The team also advises on a range of contentious public law matters, including administrative claims against the award of high-value public contracts and judicial reviews of decisions made by public bodies. Practice head Ignacio Grangel joined the firm in 2019 from the Iberian Electricity Market Operator (OMIE - OMEL) and brings expertise in public authorities and regulated sectors, notably energy. His team has been strengthened in recent years by the arrivals of former state attorney Alfonso Codes, who joined in 2020 from the Ministry of Culture and Sport, as well as counsels Reyes Robledo, who joined in 2019 from Red Eléctrica and José Luis Pérez-Campoamor, who joined in 2020 from another law firm. Javier Torre de Silva is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
César Albiñana; Javier Torre de Silva; Alfonso Codes; Reyes Robledo; José Luis Pérez-Campoamor
‘Deep knowledge of Public Law, with extensive experience in both the public and private sectors. Great quality in its writings.’
‘They stand out for their commitment and the rigor with which they strive to understand the business and the interests of their clients. They also offer a relationship between quality and unbeatable price.’
‘Javier Torre de Silva stands out for his versatility to guide in various legal practices and his tenacity to maintain a homogeneous quality regardless of the material.’
‘The team has a very balanced composition. Along with surplus state attorneys, it presents some counsel who have a long history.’
‘In particular I want to refer to José Luis Pérez-Campoamor, counsel of the firm. I can affirm that he is one of the most solid lawyers in the matter that I have met. His 15 years of experience in international law firms have given him a unique experience in terms of knowledge of the leading companies in their sectors and the operations related to them. Especially highlight his knowledge of the regulated sectors and his practice in contentious-administrative matters.’
Puerto de Gijón
Naturgy (formerly Gas Natural)
- Provided advice to Totisa Holding on the administrative procedures to set up an LNG storage plant at the Port of Las Palmas (Canary Islands, Spain).
- Provided advice to a number of car fleet operators regarding the legal regime for the service of vehicles for hire on the ways of challenging the regulation.
- Advised clean energy start-up Otovo on key regulatory issues to adapt its product to the Spanish regulatory framework for self-consumption and on the drafting of the necessary contractual documents.
Recommended for its ‘solid knowledge in public law and extensive accumulated experience’, Hogan Lovells International LLP 'works seriously, efficiently and with a great disposition towards the client’. Known for cross-border and regulatory expertise, the firm represents public entities in a range of matters, as well as assisting leading companies in the waste management, infrastructure, construction, mining, pharmaceutical, transportation, electronics and financial services sectors. Santiago Garrido is an expert in environmental law, climate change, public procurement and the energy and natural resources sectors. He co-leads the team with infrastructure and PPP specialist Lucas Osorio. Also notable is counsel and 'agile lawyer' David Antón.
Santiago Garrido; Lucas Osorio
Other key lawyers:
‘They work as a team in a coordinated way, so that if the matter requires it, you have quick access to the Area Partner.’
‘The professionals that make up the team have solid knowledge in Public Law and extensive accumulated experience, obtaining eminently practical advice that responds to the legal questions raised.’
‘They stand out for their quick response.’
‘David Antón is a professional with solid knowledge in public law and has extensive experience in the infrastructure sector, having a practical vision that allows him to respond to the questions legal issues that we ask you. He is an agile lawyer who understands the times set by the Company.’
‘My experience with Hogan Lovells covers different areas of the office, however I must highlight the public area. The team that composes it has a deep knowledge and works seriously, efficiently and with a great disposition towards the client, which undoubtedly guarantees that the client is sure that all means have been put in place to obtain the best possible result.’
‘Without a doubt, the plus that makes them stand out is the dedication that the firm’s lawyers put into the matters in which they participate. In this section, I must make special mention of counsel David Antón.’
SIGRE Medicamento y Medio Ambiente
Transportes Ferroviarios de Madrid, S.A.
RiverRock European Capital Partners LLP
Ghesa Ingeniería y Tecnología, S.A.
- Advised Ghesa in connection with the sale of its shares, involving a change of control, as well as on foreign regulatory issues.
The ‘very prepared and knowledgeable’ team at Linklaters specialises in providing advice to the regulated sectors, including energy, infrastructure and telecoms. On the transactional side, the department works with the firm’s strong corporate experts, as well as the banking and dispute resolution teams, on high-profile transactions. Head of the public law and regulated sectors department José Giménez is a former state attorney and has broad advisory and contentious experience, advising corporations in regulated sectors. Key names in his team include counsel Roberto Sánchez, who focuses on the energy and telecoms sectors; and managing associate Jorge Toral, who handles transactional matters within highly regulated industries.
Other key lawyers:
Roberto Sánchez; Jorge Toral; Mario García; Juan Moreno
‘The most remarkable thing is that, although it is a team that advises on all branches of public law, when dealing with any subject it always seems that one is receiving advice from a specialist team, almost a boutique of each subject. The team is always up to date on current issues in the gas sector and regulatory details. We have also spoken with them on matters of general administrative law. We have received excellent advice in all of them.’
‘Very prepared and knowledgeable about the sector.’
‘Knowledge and involvement.’
Red Eléctrica de España
White Summit Capital
- Providing Globalvía with ongoing advice on the economic impact of the state of emergency declared as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, and how this has affected its concession contracts in Spain.
- Advising Banco Santander, CaixaBank and Bankia on the €1.35bn judicial claim for damages against the government over the Castor gas storage facility, for money they advanced to cover the hole in the failed project’s finances.
- Advising Telefónica on a dispute regarding the monthly access fees to be paid for the use of its unbundled local loop service (bucle de abonado).
Ramón y Cajal Abogados' 'fantastic team' is ‘technically extraordinary' and is also highlighted for its 'empathy with the client’. The firm is known for advising on government contracts, with a particular emphasis on concessions and public-private partnerships schemes and regulatory matters. The practice also acts in legal defence before the contentious administrative courts across the energy, water, waste, transport, pharmaceuticals, health, social services and telecoms sectors. The ‘highly recommended’ Pablo Silván leads the team and advises public and private clients on contentious and regulatory issues. Also notable are former state lawyer Jose Ignacio Vega and the ‘excellent’ Carlos Melón.
Other key lawyers:
Carlos Melón; José Ignacio Vega
‘It is an office in which the practice of public law has great professionals and has its own prominence. It is not a mere accessory discipline of other areas.’
‘The team of Carlos Melón and José Ignacio Vega has a deep knowledge of the regulations and excellent availability.’
‘The team is the best I have found on the market. Technically they are extraordinary and they achieve extraordinary empathy with the client. They always make the right decision and their recommendations and solutions have given us many joys. A fantastic team.’
‘Carlos Melon is an excellent lawyer, as well as a great person. Technically he is exceptional, a clear, concise person who always seeks the best approach to each problem, always understanding the needs of the client while also perfectly knowing and understanding the public part and its possible reactions. A lawyer who is well above the average in his sector, who is always available and who is able to understand the complicated situations of all his clients. Exceptional.’
‘Ramón y Cajal is an excellent law firm in public law, standing out in a very relevant way compared to other large important law firms in this matter.’
‘Pablo Silván, is a lawyer with a very solid training, a very adequate mental structure for understanding the issues, their legal qualification and the orientation of solutions. Highly recommended.’
FCC Medio Ambiente
Iridium Concesiones de Infraestructuras
Madrid Calle 30
Mémora Servicios Funerarios
Canal de Isabel II
Hotel Business Association of Madrid
- Advised Canal Gestión Lanzarote on an ex officio review procedure of Lanzarote’s integral water cycle services concession awarded to the company and other related issues.
- Represented Almería Gypsum in different legal proceedings regarding the lack of renovation of gypsum quarries mining concessions in the province of Almería.
- Advised Iridium Concesiones de Infraestructuras on compensation claims to which public works concessionaires are entitled by reason of Covid-19 and measures adopted by the competent authorities to deal with the pandemic.
The ‘extremely rigorous and honest’ team at Deloitte Legal has ‘extraordinary knowledge in the different regulated sectors'. The firm provides advice across the range of administrative issues in the public sector, as well as highly regulated industries including energy, infrastructure, TMT, healthcare, transport and financial services. Clients can also benefit from the firm's litigation services in the contentious administrative space. Regulatory specialist María Guinot Barona leads the team after joining the firm in 2019. Another key name in the practice is José María Barrios, who is head of the telecommunications, media, sports and entertainment group at the firm.
María Guinot Barona
Other key lawyers:
José María Barrios; Salvi Pagès
‘It is an extremely rigorous and honest team in its advice, with extraordinary knowledge in the different regulated sectors, very close treatment and extraordinary availability.’
‘It is a department that has been renewed through the recent incorporation of new partners from top firms in this practice.’
‘It is surprising that in a practice so little given to innovation due to its very high legal component, Deloitte lawyers are able to present us products that, with the support of technology, make us much more efficient in the management of certain assets.’
‘José María Barrios deserves a special mention for extraordinary professionalism, legal knowledge, exquisite treatment, honesty and availability.’
DIF CAPITAL PARTNERS
DIRECTORATE-GENERAL FOR ENERGY OF THE CANARY GOVERNMENT
CORPFIN CAPITAL ASESORES
GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF ENERGY FROM REGIONAL GOVERNMENT OF THE BASQUE COUNTRY (DIRECCIÓN GENERAL DE ENERGÍA DEL GOBIERNO DEL PAÍS VASCO)
ENEL GREEN POWER ESPAÑA (EGPE)
EROSKI SOCIEDAD COOPERATIVA
- Advised on legal appeals for DIF CAPITAL PARTNERS against the decisions of the regional administration concerning property tax of certain hospitals.
- As several regulatory amendments to the sectorial electricity legislation were implemented at a state level, the government of the Canary Islands sought the firm’s technical support for adjusting the outdated regional sectorial legislation to the regulatory framework in force.
- Provided legal advice to MIURA PRIVATE EQUITY on the acquisition of a participation in Tragaluz Group, with over 25 successful restaurants around the national territory.
DLA Piper has expertise in project finance, environmental matters, public authority asset liability, food safety, medicine and issues of constitutional significance. The firm also advises on public administration and procedures, notably public procurement procedures. José Ignacio Monedero focuses on the renewable energy, life sciences and infrastructure sectors, with significant expertise in public procurement, environmental matters and public administration. He co-leads the team with the 'exceptional' José Manuel Sala.
José Ignacio Monedero; José Manuel Sala
‘José Manuel Sala Arquer is an exceptional Lawyer, who integrates his academic experience (University Professor) and his experience in Public Administration and as a legal advisor to the Congress of Deputies (Lawyer of the General Courts) into his professional activity.’
‘Highly professional team.’
‘Jose Manuel Sala Arquer is a great professional with high knowledge of the subject.’
Lubrizol Advanced Materials
CICAE. Asociación de Colegios Privados e Independientes
Colegio de Registradores de la Propiedad y Mercantiles
Deutsche Bank AG London
- Advised Grupo Ornua in administrative law matters.
- Advising Abbott on a regular basis in connection with public contracts and tenders regarding judicial and administrative matters involving the company and its operation in Spain.
- Representing Lubrizol on the renewal of the integrated environmental authorisation and subsequent appeals by third parties against such authorisation.
DWF-RCD advises on administrative and public law, with broad expertise that covers IP, technology transfers, litigation and regulatory matters, primarily in the healthcare, science and research sectors. The firm’s experience includes planning, procurement, administrative procedures, public subsidies, environmental matters and asset management work. Managing partner Ignasi Costas is an expert in public law matters. He co-leads the team with Eva Giménez Corrons, who is head of administrative and urban planning.
Ignasi Costas; Eva Giménez Corrons
Other key lawyers:
Oscar Alegre; Judith Saladrigas
The ‘very powerful public law team’ at Eversheds Sutherland Nicea demonstrates 'legal rigor in administrative law and excellence in public procurement, concessions, public transport and health law’. The firm is active in Spanish public law issues, administrative and regulatory, contentious and non-contentious. Experience includes government litigation, proceedings with regulatory bodies and transactional matters, with particular specialisms in the infrastructure, life sciences and healthcare, transport and water sectors. ‘Great specialist’ Alberto Dorrego de Carlos co-leads the team with Andrés Jimenéz Diaz, who focuses on public procurement, granting of contracts and PPPs.
Alberto Dorrego de Carlos; Andrés Jimenez Diaz
Other key lawyers:
Carlos Pemán; Jorge López
‘Eversheds has a very powerful Public Law team, with extensive knowledge, is quick to give legal answers and is efficient. Their rates are recommended for being very aligned with the work done. Alberto Dorrego has extraordinary knowledge of administrative and concession law. They are a very good team.’
‘Alberto Dorrego is a great specialist and connoisseur of Public Law and the operation of public institutions in the country. His quality is his knowledge of the Law, his availability with the client, his methodical and quality work and the depth with which he analyzes the issues and gives advice. Jorge López from his team complements him very adequately’.
‘Legal rigor in Administrative Law. Excellence in public procurement and concessions, public transport and Health Law. Great closeness and kindness, exquisite treatment.’
‘Alberto Dorrego de Carlos – excellent professionalism and personal treatment, he has an all-encompassing and integrated vision of Public Law that generates confidence in any type of subject, project, of any dimension.’
‘Very good technical knowledge that transmits great security. Alberto Dorrego and Jorge López did for us, in the difficult case we assigned them, an exceptional job.’
‘Excellent treatment, communication, availability, kindness … Very, very satisfactory experience. Alberto and Jorge both did an excellent job. The reception team was always very friendly and professional. Carlos Pemán’s attention and response were also very good. Later I had the opportunity to meet with other partners in the firm to explore possible future collaborations and the experience was very pleasant. For us, Eversheds is a magnificent firm that we will continue to use increasingly as our company grows. And we will recommend them when the occasion arises.’
MERCK SHARP & DOME (MSD)
SUEZ SPAIN – AGBAR
ORTHO CLINICAL DIAGNOSTICS
MARCAS DE RESTAURACIÓN
- Advising ABERTIS in a controversy between it and the Spanish Government concerning the expansion of highway capacity, economic compensations to ABERTIS by the Government and the modification of the current Government concession contract.
- Represented ALSA successfully on its appeal against the tendering for public road passenger transport concessions carried out by the Spanish Government (Ministerio de Fomento).
- Represent PFIZER in two judicial actions against the resolutions issued by the Spanish authorities regarding the 2018 and 2019 list of reference price system of medicines.
The multi-disciplinary team at EY Abogados ‘stands out for the quality, both human and professional, of its members’. As well as handling disputes over administrative concessions and construction contracts, the firm has broad knowledge of regulatory matters, in day-to-day advice and representation before the courts or regulatory authorities. The ‘very competent, serious, accessible and hardworking’ team is co-led by Barcelona-based Pilar Fernández Bozal, whose broad experience includes public contracts, zoning, sanctioning procedures, licenses, environmental issues and accounting liability, and Félix Plasencia Sanchez, whose ‘dedication to work is comparable only to his high level of knowledge’.
Félix Plasencia Sanchez; Pilar Fernández Bozal
Other key lawyers:
Raul Luis Garcia Gonzalez; Ana García-Ferrer; Lucía Freire Fernández; Nicolas Chacon Gonzalez; Francisco Javier Perez De Sevilla Cantos; Luis Ques
‘One of the strengths of the team is the ability to collaborate with in-house attorneys, improving work synergies and the result thereof.’
‘The technical qualification and work capacity, as well as his ability to integrate into the structure of the entity, highlighting the work of Felix Plasencia as partner and director of the team.’
‘As a strong point, it is worth noting that we have a good relationship and with a lot of trust, which means that they can understand us better and the advice is more real and sincere.’
‘Very professional team with remarkable flexibility and adaptation to the needs of its clients.’
‘Effort and dedication in each contracted service and enthusiasm for achieving joint successes thanks to their advisory work.’
‘EY has a highly qualified multidisciplinary team that allows us to address any matter that is presented to the company.’
‘A plus that differentiates them from other lawyers would be defined in their qualification, permanent availability and knowledge of the immediate needs of the client.’
‘The EY ABOGADOS Public Law area stands out especially for the quality, both human and professional, of its members. Headed by Partner Félix Plasencia, whose dedication to work is only comparable to his very high level of knowledge, the Department is made up of a group of highly competent, serious, accessible and hard-working lawyers.’
FUNDACIÓN BANCARIA UNICAJA
AUTONOMOUS GOVERNMENT OF CASTILLA-LA MANCHA
AGENCIA DEL AGUA
EXCAVACIONES VIUDA DE SÁINZ
- Advised AstraZeneca on its project to adapt to Law 39/2015 of the public sector, on Common Administrative Procedure for Public Administrations.
- Providing COMPASS GROUP with recurring legal advice in Spain among every issue related to Public Contracts subscribed with public administrations and public entities, including Moncloa Palace, Congress of Deputies, Madrid’s Fair Institution and Club de Campo.
- Providing advice to Acciona on its challenge before the European Court of Justice and the Spanish Supreme Court concerning the regulation of tax for the use of continental waters in administrative concessions about water-related matters.
The ‘whole team works perfectly aligned to give the best possible service’ at GTA Villamagna Abogados. The firm advises on the construction and operation of public infrastructure, primarily highways and ports, as well as on the management of public services. The department also handles litigation matters in the area. Ernesto García-Trevijano ‘brilliantly and accurately analyses the problems’. He co-leads the practice with Marta Plaza, who demonstrates 'total dedication’ and has particular expertise in public procurement.
Marta Plaza; Ernesto García-Trevijano Garnica
Other key lawyers:
‘Quick and clear solutions to problems, as well as the concern to be effective. Bright team.’
‘Without a doubt, Ernesto García-Trevijano is among the three best lawyers in Spain on the matter both for his technical knowledge and for his ability to analyze and generate solutions.’
‘The whole team works perfectly aligned to give the best possible service. ‘
‘Ernesto García-Trevijano Garnica, brilliantly and accurately analyzes the problems, and finds the most appropriate solutions. Marta Plaza is very conscientious in her work, with total dedication. It is a brilliant office. ‘
‘The coordination of the team, the communication between the members, the joint study of the cases, the availability, the immediacy to solve doubts and problems.’
‘Professionalism, study and discussion of cases, availability, deepening, anticipating issues and resources.’
‘They have legal knowledge and know how to apply it. In addition, they have a positive customer orientation, in the sense of advising and looking for the best solution. I also highlight the compliance with deadlines and the clarity of the writings.’
INSOLVENCY ADMINISTRATION OF AUTOPISTA DEL HENARES, CONCESIONARIA DEL ESTADO, S.A.
MEMBERS OF THE NATIONAL ORCHESTRA OF SPAIN
ACCIONA CONTRUCCIÓN, S.A.
CONCESIONARIA COSTA DEL SOL, S.A.
INTERECONOMÍA CORPORACIÓN, S.A.
INTERECONOMÍA TV, S.L.
ALTHEA HEALTHCARE ESPAÑA, S.L.
CESPA GESTIÓN DE RESIDUOS, S.A.U.
TRANVÍA DE PARLA, S.A.
OBRASCON HUARTE LAÍN S.A. (OHL)
- Advising INSOLVENCY ADMINISTRATION OF AUTOPISTA DEL HENARES, CONCESIONARIA DEL ESTADO in two judicial proceedings against the Ministry of Public Works and Transport in connection with the public concession for the construction, conservation and operation of a national toll highway and bypass.
- Advising TRANVÍA DE PARLA on various procedures related to the contractor’s remuneration in the administrative concession contract for the construction and operation of the city of Parla tramway.
- Advising INTERECONOMÍA CORPORACIÓN and INTERECONOMÍA TV on the framework of the sanction proceedings initiated by the National Commission of the Competition Market initiated against the two main television groups in Spain.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
With ‘great ability to give quick and simple answers to complex issues', Herbert Smith Freehills LLP advises on the spectrum of public law matters, from litigation to regulation. The firm’s experience includes public procurement, public domain issues, administrative procedures and subsidies. The practice can also draw on industry expertise in the energy and natural resources, environment and infrastructure sectors, as well as a particular specialism in life sciences regulatory matters. Iria Calviño leads the team and focuses on energy and infrastructure. Counsel Lourdes Fraguas joined from Farmaindustria in 2020 and brings strengths in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Miguel Riaño; José Ramón Mourenza; Esther Lumbreras; Ignacio Paz; Lourdes Fraguas
‘Technical solvency and experience aimed at the practical solution of company problems. Great ability to give quick and simple answers to complex issues.’
DIF Capital Partners
Cobre Las Cruces
Rubicon Infrastructure Advisors
China Road and Bridge Corporation
Zhejiang Expressway Co
- Advised DIF Infrastructure V Coöperatief on the acquisition of a hospital concessionaire in Spain.
- Advised Cobre Las Cruces on regulatory matters primarily due to the nature of the regulated activity performed (mining), the mine itself and how the mineral is processed, the mine’s location (generating urban/municipal issues), and a number of environmental factors.
- Advised Equitix Investment Management on the acquisition through an auction sale process of 55% of the shares of Telecom Castilla-La Mancha, a company which operates more than 1,100 telecommunications sites and which provides telecommunications infrastructure services.
Andersen is known for its ‘very sound and specialised environmental legal practice'. From offices in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia and Seville the firm advises companies, public authorities and the public sector on a range of public law issues, including contracts, litigation and mobility matters. Sectors in which the department has significant expertise include water, ports, telecoms, energy, healthcare and commerce. Practice head José Vicente Morote focuses on public and regulatory law, public procurement and regulated sectors. Also notable are Carlos Minguez, who joined in 2019 and brings ‘great experience and technical understanding’; and Arancha Bengoechea, who arrived from another law firm and has strength in environmental law.
Jose Vicente Morote
Other key lawyers:
Carlos Minguez; Arancha Bengoechea; Carlos Morales
‘Very sound and specialized environmental legal practice. ’
‘Carlos Minguez, great experience and technical understanding, Carlos Morales, availability.’
AESA (State Aviation Safety Agency)
PORT AUTHORITY OF THE BALEARIC ISLANDS
ANGED (Spanish Association of Large Distribution Companies)
IVO (Valencian Institute of Oncology)
Berklee College of Music
Junta de Andalucía
BEFESA Medio Ambiente
Levantina de Recursos Mineros
Thyssenkrupp Elevadores, S.L.
UTE Energía Galicia
Ministerio de Transporte, Movilidad y Agenda Urbana
Ayuntamiento de Valencia
Sociedad Anónima Municipal del Suelo de Valencia
J. García Carrión
- Provided legal and planning advice to INDITEX during the acquisition process for the implantation of a logistics centre by Tempe.
- Advised the García Carrión Group (leader in Spain in the wine and juice industry) on environmental and regulatory law in relation to its facilities.
- Advising ANGED, the Spanish Association of Large Distribution Companies, on a challenge proceeding of the Sectorial Master Plan of Commercial Equipment of Mallorca.
Ashurst LLP is highlighted for its ‘experience, international vision and depth of knowledge’. The firm advises on public infrastructure contracts, energy regulation-related issues, public sanctioning procedures and public regulation in the financial markets, as well as expropriation, confiscation and nationalisation issues. Energy specialist Pablo Garcia-Manzano leads the team and can call on the expertise of José Antonio Rodríguez, who focuses on litigation, arbitration and insolvency, and Manuel López, who specialises in banking regulation, the stock market and regulatory compliance.
Other key lawyers:
Jose Antonio Rodríguez; Manuel Lopez; Rafael Baena
‘Very well prepared and very reliable team.’
‘Teamwork and its coordination with other areas of the firm.’
‘Our experience with the Ashurst team is very satisfactory. They are very competent. In particular, the lawyers Rafael Baena and Pablo García Manzano, are great professionals with a great command of the matters we deal with, they know very well legal science and judicial procedures. They are very close and accessible to us and offer us great confidence to achieve the success of our projects and our disputes.’
‘Pablo García Manzano is very competent and has a magnificent preparation and experience in Administrative Law.’
‘Experience, international vision, depth of knowledge of the subjects.’
‘I would highlight the ability to make the deal.’
‘Pablo Garcia Manzano is a highly qualified partner, with a very deep vision of legal problems and great knowledge of the Spanish Administration and Courts.’
PARCESA, Parques de la Paz, S.A.
Sociedad de Economía Mixta Los Tranvías de Zaragoza
Gateway Infrastructure Investments, L.P.
UTE Electren SA-Elecnor SA
- Advising Iridium Concesiones de Infraestructuras on the sale to the British fund Hermes Infrastructure of 74% of the group’s stake in six shadow toll concessions in Spain.
- Representing the defendant in arbitration proceedings followed before the Madrid Chamber of Commerce brought by minority shareholders of certain companies, in which the plaintiffs seek the termination of a shareholders agreement, breach of contract and compensation for damages.
- Advising Green Investment Group (Macquarie) on its proposed acquisition of a number of solar PV development opportunities in Spain from developer Bester-Progressum, for a total capacity of circa 1.5GW.
Primarily focused on public procurement and government contracts, Dentons provides 'good knowledge, good experience and full availability’ to clients. The firm also advises on public law and regulatory matters arising from domestic and cross-border deals across a range of sectors, including private security, healthcare, financial institutions, environment and energy. Practice head Daniel Vázquez García is active in public procurement, concession agreements, expropriation procedures, state aid and subsidies.
Daniel Vázquez García
‘Good knowledge, good experience and full availability.’
‘Daniel Vázquez stands out especially for his involvement and proactivity in the matters he has managed.’
‘Good internal team coordination. More visible participation of all team members.’
‘Knowledge of both Spanish legislation and transnational affairs, the US or neighboring countries, which in advising a multinational company are of great help.’
‘Good disposition, clarity in the detection of the problem and quick resolution.’
‘One of the differentiating facts of Dentons is its international network of offices, which opens doors to many jurisdictions and allows us to obtain a comparative view of certain regulations in different countries of the EU and the rest of the world. Specifically, the practice of public law is proactive, knowledgeable about the rules and the market. Precisely its international network makes it easier for them to learn about regulatory trends in other countries and anticipate where the norm may evolve in the short or medium term. In addition, they frequently present us with legal solutions that their colleagues have already applied in other EU offices and that we were unaware of in Spain. Among its qualities, I would highlight the accessibility of its lawyers, their proactivity and the quality of the work.’
‘Dentons and mainly Daniel Vasquez’s team have demonstrated: strong customer relation: they have been contactable during the matters discussed, efficient and understanding the business requirements: they have been able to relate to our circumstances and requirements: they understand their practice.’
‘Daniel Vasquez listens to the problem and helps us building accurate expectations.’
Fresenius Medical Care España
Ricardo Certification Iberia, S.L.
Internacional de Periféricos y Memorias, SL
KCI Europe Holding
- Advised Fresenius Medical Care España on regulatory, public procurement and compliance matters in the context of a US government investigation under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Advised Engie (formerly GDF Suez) on a large number of multi-million public contracts with local entities for the provision of energy efficiency services.
- Advised Ricardo Rail on public procurement matters including the appeal of a multi-million contract for the provision of services to the Spanish Manger of Railway Infrastructures (ADIF).
Providing ‘tailor-made solutions and full collaboration', MVA ASOCIADOS is known for its ‘high procedural and technical knowledge of administrative law and in the formulation of contentious-administrative matters'. The firm specialises in litigation before public courts, public infrastructure matters, advice related to property issues and renewable energy projects. Practice head Gervasio Martínez-Villaseñor advises on a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, particularly public procurement, public properties, urban planning, environmental issues and liability proceedings, as well as acting before the contentious-administrative courts, the Constitutional Court of Spain and the European Court of Justice.
Other key lawyers:
Gonzalo Rubio Hernández-Sampelayo; Eduardo Abril
‘The MVA Public Law team has very solid knowledge and their writings are impeccable and well founded.’
‘Recommended. High level of commitment, efficiency and professionalism.’
‘Tailor made solutions, full collaboration and outstanding behavior’
‘Availability, good work and commitment.’
‘Gervasio Martínez-Villaseñor and Gonzalo Rubio Hernández-Sampelayo are recommended.’
‘MVA is a firm with high procedural and technical knowledge of administrative law in the formulation of contentious-administrative matters.’
‘Gervasio Martínez-Villaseñor and Gonzalo Rubio are fighting lawyers, capable of finding loopholes or administrative law options to explore. And they also win lawsuits.’
‘Eduardo Abril has outstanding experience and mastery in practice.’
Red Eléctrica de España, S.A.
Regional Government of the Autonomous Community of Murcia
Naturgy Energy Group
Repsol Electricidad y Gas, S.L.
Hanwha Energy Corporation
Engie Spain Group
Reden Solar, SAS
Villar Mir Group
Asociación Española del Gas (SEDIGAS)
Suma Capital SGEIC, S.A.
Global Energy Services, S.L.
Cas Training, S.L.
Nordex Energy Spain, S.A.
Planta de Regasificación de Sagunto (SAGGAS)
Gas de Extremadura (DICOGEXA)
Alpiq Energía España, S.A.U.
- Provided legal advice and representation to VIESGO INFRAESTRUCTURAS ENERGÉTICAS in the judicial proceedings challenging the obligation to fund the so-called ‘social bonus’ (‘bono social’; consisting in a subsidised electricity tariff for low-income final consumers).
- Advised REPSOL GENERACIÓN ELÉCTRICA in relation to the re-powering in 1,014MW (1,360MW in total) of the Aguayo Hydroelectric Plant, located in Cantabria.
- Provided legal advice to HANWHA ENEGRY CORPORATION, including regulatory matters related to electric power generation facilities required, during the acquisition phase of over 1,000MW greenfield PV projects.
ONTIER ‘stands out for its technical knowledge, particularly in public procurement’, and is also well versed in sanctioning procedures, expropriation, public administration liability, public property and administrative intervention in the sectors of soil regulation and urban planning. Constitutional law and contentious advice are key areas for the firm, which also advises clients on competition matters connected with public law. The team is co-led by Pedro Rubio Escobar, who specialises in public law and regulated markets, and administrative law expert Jorge Álvarez González.
Pedro Rubio Escobar; Jorge Álvarez González
Other key lawyers:
Adolfo Menéndez Menéndez
‘The ONTIER team excels in this area due to the following fundamental issues: availability and ability to resolve issues in an environment of tight deadlines and pressure, and technical knowledge of the practice of Public Administration Law. My opinion is that ONTIER stands out from the rest of the law firms in this area.’
‘The ONTIER Public Law team stands out for its technical knowledge, particularly in public procurement. Pedro Rubio Escobar in particular is the best specialist in Spain in relation to public procurement related to insurance.’
‘I would like to highlight the professionalism of Jorge Álvarez in the Oviedo office’.
‘Ontier’s practice has been absolutely excellent. Maximum availability, depth and legal rigor, order and foresight.’
‘Professionals who really help!!! They work as a team. They think “outside the box”. Their points of view are genuine. And most importantly: they find the solution.’
‘Pedro Rubio, a great jurist!!! Creative, rigorous, close ….. Extraordinary teaching skills.’
‘The Ontier team in the public law area, in my opinion, works as a team, assessing from the different members a detailed and justified analysis of each action that we must take before our queries.’
‘The involvement of the firm’s partner. Detailed analysis of each case, presenting alternatives that are compatible with the business (business relationship with customers). And anticipation as response measures. Pedro Rubio Escobar stands out.’
Fomento de Construcciones y Contratas, S.A. (FCC)
FUNDACION BARRIÉ DE LA MAZA
YELMO FILMS, S.L.U.
Pequeños y Medianos Astilleros Sociedad De Reconversion (Pymar)
Energías de Portugal, S.A. (EDP)
Real Betis Balompié
CONSTRUCCIONES Y PROMOCIONES COPROSA, S.A
IMASA INGENIERÍA Y PROYECTOS, S.A.
INDUSTRIAS DOY MANUEL MORATE, S.L.
CONSTRUCTORA LOS ÁLAMOS, S.A.
- Advising TELICE on a judicial procedure against the administrative fine imposed by the National Commission on Markets and Competition.
- Advised FOMENTO DE CONSTRUCCIONES Y CONTRATAS (FCC) on the successful special appeal on public procurement filed before the government of Canary Islands against a joint venture formed by other major construction companies.
- Advising Grupo KALUZ, Mr. Antonio del Valle Fundación Barrié, and others on an appeal before the Court of Justice of the European Union concerning action taken in respect of Banco Popular Español.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP has 'specialised, technical and legal knowledge' in the regulated sectors, particularly in the development of energy and infrastructure projects. The firm has expertise in a range of public law matters, contentious and non-contentious, including public procurement, the liability of authorities, planning and environmental matters. Pablo Dorronsoro leads the team and has ‘lots of experience, and at the same time a practical understanding of the issues’, particularly in relation to the energy, infrastructure and technology sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Specialized, technical and legal knowledge, reachable.’
‘I would point out Pablo Dorronsoro and Javier Alagon.’
‘Prepared and well led team. Availability and knowledge.’
‘I have had the opportunity to work with Pinsent Masons with energy related subjects. This is a practice of outmost importance for our company. This public law sector is highly regulated in Spain and Europe and has great complexity. They were able to deliver a good product, which succeeded without getting lost in cumbersome legal issues’
‘They have a good knowledge of the specificities of the technical issues involved. It has been easy to collaborate with them and very reasonable billing wise.’
‘Pablo Dorronsoro is a lawyer with a lot of experience, and at the same time practical understanding of the issues.’
Talasol Solar, S.L.
Siemens Healthcare, S.L.
Ellomay Solar, S.L.U.
Costain Alcaidesa Limited
Solaria Energía y Medio Ambiente, S.A.
La Finca Global Assets, S.L.
WElink Energy Ireland Ltd.
Redexis Gas, S.A.
Canal de Isabel II, S.A.
- Provided legal advice to Talasol Solar on the framework of the construction of a 300MW solar plant located in Talaván, Caceres and its evacuation line.
- Advised Elecnor on the administrative and judicial procedure for the return of subsidies initiated by the Alcázar de San Juan City Council in connection to the development and construction of two thermosolar plants.
- Recurring advice to Siemens Healthcare on all public law related matters derived from the participation in public tenders called by nationwide and regional public administrations.
PwC Tax & Legal Services
With particular expertise in public administration, PwC Tax & Legal Services advises on a range of public law-related issues, including the financial liability of the state, the establishment of new entities, public procurement, concessions, management of European funds, real estate development and zoning matters. Regulation and litigation are also strengths. The ‘excellent’ Fernando Calancha Marzana leads the team and is well regarded, ‘especially in the field of energy law, in which he has enormous experience in the public sector'. Arancha Bengoechea left the firm in 2020.
Fernando Calancha Marzana
Other key lawyers:
Rocío Beotas González-Sicilia; David Mellado Ramírez; José Luis Nores
‘Very good knowledge of the electricity sector.’
‘Very good disposition to study the issues, attend as many meetings as necessary, deal directly with the client. Fernando Calancha Marzana and Rocío Beotas González-Sicilia.’
‘Fernando Calancha is an excellent lawyer, especially in the field of energy law, in which he has enormous experience in the public sector.’
AUTOPISTA DE LA COSTA CÁLIDA C.E.S.A.
ACCESOS DE MADRID C.E.S.A.
AUTOVÍA DE LA SIERRA ARANA
UTE TRANVÍA GUADAIRA
UTE AVE PUERTO REAL
CAMBRA OFICIAL DE CONTRACTISTES DE CATALUNYA
SUEZ SPAIN, S.L.
FUNDACIÓ CLÍNIC PER LA RECERCA BIOMÈDICA
- Assisted IBERDROLA RENOVABLES with analysing the processing of applications for the construction and commissioning of renewable plants, both in terms of the process itself and the timing of such process at a state and regional level.
- Assisted CIRALSA, AUTOPISTA DE LA COSTA CÁLIDA and ACCESOS DE MADRID in public contract termination procedures.
- Provided legal advice and representation to AUTOVÍA DE LA SIERRA ARANA, which was awarded a concession contract of highway construction work for an estimated amount of around €240m.
Roca Junyent is 'experienced and visible in specific sectors', particularly transport, mining, infrastructure, banking and construction. The firm's extensive public law expertise covers public tenders, environmental licences, waste management, planning, expropriation, sanction law and state aid, as well as litigation involving public law bodies. Rosa Isabel Peña Sastre has experience across the spectrum of public law issues, in administrative and contentious-administrative matters. She co-leads the team with Sergi Chimenos, who focuses on legal consultancy in administration, administrative disputes, urban planning, environmental law, competition and regulated sectors.
Rosa Isabel Peña; Sergi Chimenos
Other key lawyers:
Manuel Silva Sánchez; Jordi Miró
‘Proximity of an experienced partner to the client.’
‘Pooling system that allows more agile service.’
‘Experience and visibility in specific sectors.’
‘I highlight the Partners Rosa Isabel Peña and Sergi Chimenos.’
TRANSPORTS DE BARCELONA SA
AGÈNCIA DE L’HABITATGE DE CATALUNYA
INFRAESTRUCTURES DE LA GENERALITAT DE CATALUNYA
AGÈNCIA DE RESIDUS DE CATALUNYA
- Advising Transports de Barcelona, owned by the Metropolitan Authority of Barcelona (AMB), in the drafting of the tender documents to contract the exploitation of publicity services on buses in Barcelona and vending machines at the Barcelona metro.
- Advised CITYSCOOT on its participation in the tendering procedure launched by the City Council of Barcelona to grant temporary and special common-use licences in the public domain for the parking of shared-use bicycles, scooters and motorcycles.
- Acting for Agència de l’Habitatge de Catalunya in a matter relating to social housing in Catalunya.
Toda & Nel-lo
Toda & Nel-lo's public law practice ‘combines availability, attention to detail, legal precision, strategic vision and good judgement'. The firm provides advice to private sector companies and public administrations, as well as other entities and bodies that are part of the public sector. Particular areas of expertise include public law, urban development, administrative litigation, public procurement and administrative tenders. The team is co-led by former state attorney Ignacio Toda, administrative sector expert Ricard Nel-lo and Javier García, who is a litigator with substantial experience in proceedings against public administrations.
Ignacio Toda; Ricard Nel-lo; Javier García
‘Excellent team of professionals, with extensive knowledge of the client and the sector and maximum involvement to manage the matters that we entrust to them with legal rigor and strategic vision.’
‘Ricard Nel-lo is a true trusted advisor and his entire legal team.’
‘It uniquely combines availability, attention to detail, legal precision, strategic vision and good judgement.’
‘They are very good technically.’
‘I think it is a very complete and competent team that has always served me very well and with good results.’
EIT Urban Mobility Association
EIT Kic Urban Mobility S.L.
Cámara de Comercio de España
Federación Española de Baloncesto
Fira Internacional de Barcelona
Institució Familiar d’Educació
Baleares International School
Green Clover Capital
- Advised two companies of the Telefónica Group in connection with a price increase clause included in their terms and conditions, which were challenged by the Catalan Consumer Agency.
- For EIT Urban Mobility issued a legal report to determine the position of the MOBilus project’s association and commercial society for the purposes of European and Spanish public procurement regulations.
- Provided advice to Moventia in relation to the maintenance contract for the Barcelona tramway system, Trambaix.