Intellectual property: patents in Spain
- Represented Promat International, a fire protection and insulation company, in an appeal of a patent infringement case.
Bird & Bird LLP advises clients in the pharmaceutical, technology and communications sectors. The patent litigation and trade secrets-focused Manuel Lobato leads the practice with litigator Antonio Cueto and internet and IT specialist Mariano Santos. Senior associate Teresa Mercadal, who has experience in pharmaceutical and veterinary IP and the advertising of medicines, is also noted. Recent highlights included acting for Insud Pharma (formerly Chemo Group) in patent litigation over a generic drug brought by Bayer. Associate José Ángel García-Zapata left for a position as Senior IP Counsel at Insud Pharma. José Miguel Lissén was a new arrival in June 2020.
‘Manuel Lobato and his team are characterised by their availability and the speed with which they deal with the issues they deal with.’
Fundación Centro Nacional De Investigaciones Oncológicas Carlos III (CNIO)
General Equipment for Medical Managing, SA (Oncovision)
Insud Pharma (formerly Chemo Group)
Ratiopharm España, S.A.
- Advised Insud Pharma on patent litigation.
- Defended Oncovision, a medical imaging provider, in patent litigation proceedings.
- Represented Ratiopharm in patent litigation and injunction proceedings over a statin medication.
The ‘extraordinary’ team at Clifford Chance is noted for its ‘business acumen’ and ‘understanding of the local legal system’. The group handles the full range of IP dispute resolution services, including cross-border litigation and arbitration, regional enforcement programmes and licensing programmes. Miquel Montañá and Josep Montefusco head the practice. Counsel Isabel Carulla is highly recommended, and senior associate Rais Amils is also singled out.
Novartis Pharma AG and Novartis Farmacéutica, S.A.
AstraZeneca AB and AstraZeneca Farmacéutica, S.A.
F. Hoffmann-La Roche
Bial-Portela & CA
Merck, Sharp & Dhome
Esteve Pharmaceuticals S.A.
- Advised Novartis Pharma and Novartis Farmacéutica in relation to the enforcement and defence of a patent protecting a drug for high blood pressure.
- Represented Belgian pharmaceutical company UCB Pharma in patent revocation and infringement proceedings over a drug to treat epileptic seizures.
- Represented Coloplast in patent infringement proceedings initiated against Hollister Ibérica enforcing a patent protecting a ready-to-use urinary catheter assembly.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo advises on patent protection, commercialisation and licensing, and has a strong litigation practice. The team focuses on life sciences and telecoms matters, and is active in the biotech sector. Eduardo Castillo heads the team, which includes Álvaro de Castro; both are noted for their ‘clear, considered and commercially strategic advice’. The practice also includes Gonzalo Ulloa, who has extensive experience in pharmaceutical litigation. Recent highlights included representing Fall Creek Farm Nursery in litigation related to plant breeder rights.
‘Eduardo Castillo and Álvaro de Castro are easy to work with and responsive with excellent technical and legal knowledge. The give clear, considered and commercially strategic advice.’
San Lucar Group
The Regents of the University of California (California Riverside)
- Represented Eisai Europe, a pharmaceutical company, in patent litigation against generic companies.
- Represented Mundipharma in litigation relating to an opioid pain medicine.
- Represented Fall Creek Farm Nursery in litigation related to plant breeder rights.
Boutique law firm Grau & Angulo specialises in IP litigation, and handles patent matters in the pharmaceutical, electronics and IT sectors. Jorge Grau, Alejandro Angulo and Javier Huarte lead the team and are experienced in cross-border litigation with defendants in multiple jurisdictions. Associate Ignacio Pontijas is also recommended for his ‘extensive knowledge and thoroughness’. Jesús Arribas is noted for his expertise in the IT and electronics fields.
‘Highly qualified and absolutely coordinated team’
‘Javier Huarte has been a benchmark for years in the world of patent litigation.’
- Represented Nestlé in protecting a patent over their coffee capsules.
- Represented Grifols, a healthcare company, in a matter relating to the patent infringement of a drug-dispensing machine used in hospitals.
- Opposed a patent infringement action on behalf on Cinfa, a pharmaceutical company.
Uría Menéndez provides advice on licensing, regulatory matters and the IP aspects of business transactions, and also handles patent litigation. The ‘fast-acting and proactive’ team represents clients in the chemical, pharmaceutical, biotech, cosmetics and consumer goods sectors. Unfair competition expert José Massaguer heads the practice. Ingrid Pi i Amorós has extensive litigation experience in the life sciences area, and Montiano Monteagudo advises on contract law and competition.
Gilead Sciences, Inc
Roche Diagnostics, S.L.
Nador Cott Protection
- Advised Telefónica in litigation concerning patent infringement in pay TV services.
- Advised Gilead Sciences on its litigation strategy in connection with potential infringement claims and revocation proceedings.
- Advised Roche Diagnostics on patent infringement, including on a patent revocation action.
Abril Abogados, SL
IP boutique Abril Abogados, SL has a strong offering in patent disputes in the manufacturing, energy and consumer goods sectors. Litigators Carlos González and Ignacio Temiño Ceniceros head the team with Valencia-based Salvador Diaz, who focuses on technology transfer and patent agreements.
Universidad De Alicante
Universidad de Zaragoza
Universidad Complut. Madrid
- Handled patent infringement litigation on behalf of Equalaire Systems and Pressure Systems International, relating to the European patent rights of an internal automatic tire inflation system.
- Defended Tewer Engineering, a solar energy company, in a patent infringement case.
- Represented Fontanalia, a construction company, in a patent dispute with ePipe Restoration.
Boutique firm Balder acts for clients in the pharmaceutical and manufacturing sectors in both patent prosecution and litigation. Litigator Patricia Koch heads the practice with Magnus Stiebe, who specialises in heavy industry, energy and automotive patent matters.
- Advised Textia, a manufacturer of medical devices, on an appeal against a patent judgement.
Elzaburu has a full-service patent offering, handling litigation, prosecution and transactional matters. Key clients include Airbus and the Spanish National Cancer Research Centre. Litigator Antonio Castán, patent prosecutor Francisco J. Saez, anti-piracy specialist Juan José Caselles and business department head Javier Fernández-Lasquetty lead the team.
Laboratorios Farmacéuticos Rovi
Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO)
The team at Eversheds Sutherland Nicea handles litigation and transactional matters in the pharmaceutical, industrial engineering and retail sectors. Litigators Francisco J. (Kiko) Carrión García de Parada and José Mariano Cruz head the practice.
‘Good communication and teamwork with clients’
Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.
Tyco Fire Security
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER counts cross-border patent litigation as a core strength. The team acts for clients in the life sciences, electronics and telecoms areas. Expert litigator Luis Fernández-Novoa leads the practice, and is noted for his ‘deep understanding of his area’. Alvaro Velasquez is also noted as a litigator.
Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)
Merck Sharp & Dohme (MSD)
- Defended Huawei in a patent and know-how infringement suit.
- Advised Epson, a Japanese electronics manufacturer, in relation to its ink cartridge technology patent portfolio.
- Advised Janssen, a pharmaceutical company, on its patent enforcement strategy against generic drugs.
João Miranda de Sousa and Carolina Pina lead the patent practice at Garrigues, which handles both litigation and prosecution and has a strong offering in research, development and innovation. The team also advises biotech and medical start-ups.
Centro De Investigación Príncipe Felipe
- Advised the Talladium Group, a manufacturer of dental angled abutments, in a patent infringement lawsuit brought by a competitor.
- Handled patent prosecution for Telefónica.
- Represented El Club de Variedades Vegetales Protegidas before the EU Court of Justice in litigation relating to patents over varieties of plant.
ABG Intellectual Property
Boutique firm ABG Intellectual Property focuses on patent litigation and transactional matters. José Miguel Lissén left the firm in June 2020.
The patents team at Cuatrecasas advises clients in the life sciences, food and beverage, automotive and manufacturing industries. Albert Augustinoy and Álvaro Bourkaib head the team. Clients include engineering company Wavegarden and the Spanish state lotteries.
And & Or
Spanish State Lotteries
Vall D’Hebron Institut De Recerca (VHIR)
- Defended Abezeta, a supplier of arts and digital printing materials, in patent infringement proceedings concerning lithographic printing technology.
- Advised Wavegarden, an engineering company, on patent matters related to the licensing of its well-known surf wave system.
- Provided BH Bikes with ongoing patent advice.
Spanish Paralympic Committee
Biotechnology Institute (BTI)
- Advised the Biotechnology Institute on its patent over tissue regeneration technology.