Notable international brands as well as Spanish multinationals seek out Baker McKenzie's multidisciplinary practice, largely for advice on matters related to data protection, intellectual property and employment. The department is jointly led by IP specialist Cristina Duch and María Dolores Garayalde, who has a focus on copyright and trade mark matters.
Industry focus: Retail in Spain
Cristina Duch; María Dolores Garayalde
Puig – Charlotte Tilbury
- Advising Pepe Jeans in the refinancing of its existing facilities and a €50m facility backed by state guarantees.
- Advised Hispania Retail Properties (a joint venture created by Grupo Lar, GreenOak and Baupost) on the sale of two shopping centres located in Madrid.
- Advised Bogaris on the process for the sale of two logistics assets located in Spain, and currently leased to a major operator of food retail.
Boasting particular expertise in technology, intellectual property and trade mark matters, the retail practice group at Bird & Bird garners praise for its ability to understand the ‘challenges and risks’ of their clients businesses and to ‘integrate them into the legal solution they propose’. The team is headed by corporate and M&A expert Lourdes Ayala and Antonio Cueto, who focuses on IP, and excels in the luxury, fashion and retail, food and beverage, and hotels and leisure sub-sectors. Senior consultant Diana Sendagorta is another name to note.
Lourdes Ayala; Antonio Cueto
Other key lawyers:
‘At all times this office has responded to our requests in a timely manner.’
‘The team of lawyers is highly specialised in the commercial, tax or labour matters that are the object of our consultation. I would especially emphasise their ability to understand our challenges and risks at the business level in order to integrate them into the legal solution that they propose to us.’
AORA HEALTH, S.L.
BC BG MAX .AZARIA
BACOA HOLDING, S.L.
BODEGAS BENJAMIN DE ROTHSCHILD AND VEGA SICILIA
BUY MY CAR
CLICARS SPAIN, S.L.
EUROLOAN (MASH FINANCE GROUP)
HANES BRANDS INC
HARD ROCK LIMITED
HOMESERVE SPAIN, S.L.U.
INTER IKEA SYSTEMS BV
JOLLIBEE FOODS CORPORATION
KASPERSKY LAB UK LIMITED
KFC RESTAURANTS SPAIN, S.L.U.
KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT, INC.
LLAOLLAO SPAIN, S.L.
PHONE SERVICE CENTER, S.L.
PIZZAEXPRESS (FRANCHISES) LIMITED
TAX TOWN, S.L.
THE NEEDO, S.L.
UNION GROUP (CERSIONAL, S.L.)
VEGAN JUNK FOOD
WE ARE KNITTERS
- Advising Hard Rock regarding its franchise network in Spain, including the review and localisation of franchise agreements for retail food stores and for hotel facilities.
Cuatrecasas houses a multidisciplinary team with extensive experience in advising domestic and international clients in the retail and consumer industry, particularly retail chains, hypermarket chains, and cosmetics, fashion and e-commerce companies. Jorge Aranaz and Alejandro Negro are key contacts in the team, which regularly handles labour matters, large M&A transactions and financing deals for notable clients such as El Corte Inglés, as well as real estate matters. Recent highlights saw the firm advising Grupo Adeo on a sale and leaseback transaction of a portfolio of 42 retail properties.
Other key lawyers:
Jorge Aranaz; Alejandro Negro
El Corte Inglés
Gerplex (Casa Viva)
Iberian Sports Retail
- Advising El Corte Inglés on a senior guaranteed bond issue for a term of three and a half years.
- Advising Grupo Adeo on a sale and leaseback transaction of a portfolio of 42 retail properties in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy.
- Advising Endurance Partners on the insolvency proceedings of Tuc Tuc and the sale of the production unit.
Commercial, technology and IP expert Diego Ramos is the standout practitioner in DLA Piper‘s retail team, which acts for clients across the real estate, corporate, finance and public sectors. Recent work highlights included its advice to the lenders in the refinancing of the debt of El Corte Inglés, and its assistance to Happy Socks regarding an IP rights case. Orson Alcocer is another active member of the practice.
Diego Ramos; Orson Alcocer
- Advising Amundi Inmobilier on the acquisition of two office buildings in Madrid, to be demolished and developed in two new buildings to be leased as multi-tenant buildings.
- Advising Banco Santander and a pool of lenders on the refinancing of the debt of El Corte Inglés.
- Advising Happy Socks in connection to the opposition of the misappropriation by a Spanish company of the use of the IP rights of the client.
Garrigues' multidisciplinary team earns plaudits for being ‘highly specialised’, and for offering ‘quick responses from the first contact until the job is solved’. Regularly acting for clients in the fashion, cosmetics and supermarket industries, the group covers a wide range of matters arising in the retail sector. In a recent highlight, the team provided advice to Monat on the launch of the American group in the Spanish market. Corporate governance expert Sergio González Galán, Jorge García-Pellicer and senior associate María José Pardo are key members of the practice.
Mónica Martín de Vidales; Álvaro López-Jorrín
Other key lawyers:
Sergio González Galán; Jorge García-Pellicer; María José Pardo
‘The team is highly specialised, each one in their subject, giving quick answers from the first contact until the work is solved. Good coordination between the different specialists.’
‘The subjects in which they are specialised adapt very well to the needs that we have in the company. They attend you very quickly, whether it is a query that affects a single professional or if they have to coordinate with other teams.’
MARIE CLAIRE, S.A
OPTIMUM III VALUE-ADDED RESIDENTIAL SOCIMI, S.A.
CEMEX ESPAÑA, S.A.
PAGANTIS LUXEMBOURG, S.A.
NBQ CORPORATE, S.L.
FRANCISCO RUBIO VELA
APART IBERIA, S.L
- Advising Deoleo in corporate governance matters.
- Advising Cemex on a cross-border merger.
- Advising Monat on the launch of the American group in the Spanish market.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo houses a ‘very knowledgeable team’, which always approaches responses ‘based on the client’s business in a very practical way’. The group, which is led by IP expert Sofía Martínez-Almeida and Iñigo Igartua, covers a variety of legal matters arising in the retail space, with a particular expertise in real estate and business structuring. Corporate and M&A partner Iñigo Erláiz, Bárbara Sainz De Vicuña and Isabela Crespo, who bring in additional expertise in intellectual property, are other key names in the practice.
Sofía Martínez-Almeida; Iñigo Igartua
Other key lawyers:
Isabela Crespo; Iñigo Erláiz; Bárbara Sainz De Vicuña
‘It is a very knowledgeable team with the ability to understand the problem and focus the response based on the client’s business in a very practical way and easy to apply later to the activity.’
‘I would highlight Barbara Sainz De Vicuña.’
Giorgio Armani S.P.A.
Maus Freres (Lacoste, Gant, Aigle)
Toys R Us Iberia, S.A.U.
- Advised Carrefour and Carmila on the amendment of a large number of lease agreements on commercial premises in shopping centres as a result of Covid-19.
- Advised Gant Holding on the acquisition of its distributor in Spain, Gant Lifestyle España, from Organización Gómez de Zamora.
- Advised Pandora on data protection and consumer law matters.
Praised for its ‘strong commercial mindset’, Hogan Lovells International LLP‘s consumer and retail practice has a solid track record in advising clients on matters ranging from contracts to offline and online retail trade, advertising and marketing, and product regulatory matters, working closely with the firm’s data protection and regulatory teams. Alex Dolmans, who also leads the corporate and M&A and commercial practice in the Madrid office, heads the group, which includes skilled litigator and counsel Jon Aurrekoetxea; and senior associate Adrián Fernández.
Other key lawyers:
Jon Aurrekoetxea; Adrián Fernández; Emilio Gómez
‘Hogan Lovells attorneys have a strong commercial mindset and are highly aligned with the needs and particularities of clients in the industries in which they operate.’
‘We work particularly with Alex Dolmans, in the areas of corporate and commercial, Emilio Gómez, of Real Estate and Jon Aurrekoetxea, in the area of conflict resolution.’
Douglas Spain, S.A.
Wizink Bank, S.A.
Groupon Spain S.L.
- Advising Douglas on various commercial contracts and corporate matters in Spain.
- Advised AmerisourceBergen on its acquisition of Alliance Healthcare Businesses from Walgreens Boots Alliance.
- Advised Alantra on its acquisition of a majority stake of Surexport, a Spanish producer of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.
Uría Menéndez is valued by clients for its ‘in-depth knowledge of regulations’, and for its ‘dedication and passion’, which translates into ‘creative advice’. The firm stands out for its multidisciplinary expertise in a variety of business sectors, and the retail practice works particularly closely with the food and beverage sub-group. Borja Sainz de Aja, Patricia Vidal and Ramiro Rivera head the well-rounded team, which operates from Madrid and Barcelona, regularly advising a wide range of distributors, producers and retailers from the consumer goods, fashion, food, toys and jewellery sectors.
Patricia Vidal; Ramiro Rivera; Borja Sainz de Aja
Other key lawyers:
Manuel Vélez; Julio Iglesias; Felipe Iglesias
‘In-depth knowledge of applicable regulations and practices in the sector.’
‘Manuel Vélez, Julio Iglesias and Felipe Iglesias study the case in person. Their capacity for analysis and study demonstrate the dedication and passion that they put into each issue and is materialised in creative advice where they provide us with ideas and knowledge beyond the legal.’