Baker McKenzie’s industrial, manufacturing and transportation group exhibits expertise in contentious and non-contentious work, acting on behalf of a diversified portfolio of high-profile clients on a variety of disputes and transactions in the space. Leadership of the practice is divided between Maite Diez, Jorge Adell and Xavier Junquera. Based in Madrid, Diez has more than 25 years of experience advising multinationals on corporate and M&A transactions, while Barcelona-based Adell, who also focuses on a range of transactions, and Junquera, a public law expert, add a combined 60 years of experience to the firm’s offering.
Industry focus: Manufacturing in Spain
Corporación Alimentaria Peñasanta
Samvardhana Motherson Group
- Advised Joe Jeans with regard to the review and implementation of its compliance programme.
- Assisted Honda Europe with the review of several documents relating to compliance and suppliers, including notification letters, compliance clauses and complaints channel policies.
Cuatrecasas showcases a particular focus on transactional work, offering a multidisciplinary service when it comes to corporate and M&A matters in relation to international manufacturing companies, boasting a strong practice in the heavy industry and automotive sectors. Notable figures include Javier Fontcuberta, noted for business collaboration agreements in relation to commercial distribution.
Other key lawyers:
Nippon Steel Corporation
- Advising KPS Capital Partners on its acquisition of the Crown Holdings tinplate business in Europe.
- Advising Bain Capital on its acquisition of ITP Aero from Rolls-Royce.
- Advising Seat Volkswagen Audi on its joint venture agreement for the strategic project for economic recovery and transformation of Vehículo Eléctrico Conectado (VEC).
Led by Joaquín Hervada in Madrid, DLA Piper demonstrates extensive experience in manufacturing transactions, acting for clients with a sizeable presence in the packaging, automotive and technology industries on issues relating to the IP, public law, real estate and corporate spheres. Hervada is an EU and competition law expert, having recently acted for Knorr-Bremse in its acquistion of a majority stake in Cojali.
C de Salamanca
Jorge Fernández Cerámicas
- Advised Knorr-Bremse and its subsidiary Knorr-Bremse Systeme für Nutzfahrzeuge on the acquisition of a majority stake of 55% in Cojali.
- Advising Patentes Talgo, the borrower, on several financing agreements including bilateral loan agreements, factoring agreements and confirming agreements.
- Advising MKS Instruments on the merger control processes related to the acquisition of Atotech for $5.1bn.
Providing ‘innovative’ solutions, the team at Gómez-Acebo & Pombo offers a multidisciplinary approach to an array of manufacturing clients from the chemical, industrial, shipbuilding, automotive and life sciences sectors. Madrid-based of counsel Ainara Rentería, also acting as head of the firm’s automotive group, leads the team alongside Rick Silberstein, the managing partner of the Barcelona office. Madrid-based managing partner Iñigo Erláiz draws from his previous role as head of the corporate department to provide advice on a range of financing and M&A transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘A lot of quality, with a great knowledge of the sector. Magnificent professionals, easy to contact and innovative in defending matters. Great support from other areas and teamwork with the client.’
‘Very accessible and expert in this field. I’d highlight Ainara Rentería.’
Automotive & Industrial Systems
IP Cleaning España
Hyundai Motor España
Mobis Parts Europe
Birla Carbon Spain
VLD Bus & Coach
- Advised Aviation Industry Corporation of China on the acquisition of a majority stake of Aritex Cading.
- Provided advice to Smurfit Kappa in relation to corporate, contracts, employment, environmental and energy matters.
- Represented Ford España in damages claims and its restructuring of its dealer network in Europe.
Pérez-Llorca‘s strength in advising clients in the manufacturing sector is particularly notable in relation to the corporate, dispute resolution and employment spheres, as it handles a range of M&A operations, litigation proceedings and collective bargaining agreements. Apart from these three pillars, the practice has also been active on the restructuring and insolvency front. Beatriz García leads the practice, recognised for her knowledge of public procurement and litigation with a regulatory element.
Tecno Fast Chile
- Advised a large truck manufacturing group belonging to the Volkswagen Group on all the proceedings initiated by truck purchasers claiming damages allegedly arising from anti-competitive practices.
- Advised the Ardagh Group in relation to the financing granted by certain financial entities led by Citi and Bank of America Merrill Lynch through a $325m senior secured multi-currency asset-backed revolving credit facility.
- Advised Zardoya Otis throughout the entirety of the two-month union strike.
Uría Menéndez is well equipped to assist clients in the pharmaceutical, automotive, retail and construction markets, with horizontal sectorial groups designed to address surfacing matters in relation to competition, litigation, intellectual property, regulatory, commercial and corporate issues. The team features Borja Sainz de Aja, Teresa Paz-Ares, Patricia Vidal and Jaime Calvo, all of whom lead the manufacturing industry practice group. Sainz de Aja has intellectual property as one of his key areas of expertise, while Vidal is sought after for EU and competition law matters, often acting before domestic and supranational forums. Paz-Ares assists clients with respect to M&A transactions.
‘Engagement with the client. Comprehensiveness in matters and deep knowledge. Empathy with the client’s difficulties. Holistic view of the issues. These aspects make them stand out from other firms. Client training on specific topics is a novelty in recent years with great results.’
‘Dedication and knowledge.’
‘With extensive knowledge and with good judgement.’
- Advised Laboratorios Farmacéuticos Rovi on a contract with ModeRNA for a ten-year term large-scale production alliance.