The industrial, manufacturing and transportation team at Baker McKenzie provides assistance to clients across a range of sectors, including automotive, aerospace, chemicals and industrial equipment. Recent areas of activity include antitrust (including investigations and litigation), M&A and insolvency matters. Corporate lawyer Maite Diez is based in Madrid; corporate and private equity specialist Jorge Adell and Xavier Junquera, who focuses on public law and regulation, are names to note in Barcelona.
Industry focus: Manufacturing in Spain
Maite Diez; Jorge Adell; Xavier Junquera
Aernnova Aerospace, S.A.
- Assisting with the joint venture between Puig and BDT and the acquisition of a majority stake in Charlotte Tilbury with a rollover by the founder (Charlotte Tilbury) and the CEO (Demetria Pinsent).
- Successfully represented the leading Spanish certification group Applus in a criminal case before the National Court (Audiencia Nacional) concerning the testing and certification of silver and gold jewels of S. Tous S.L.
- Advising DEFEX, a company in the armament business, owned by the public entity SEPI (51% of shares) as well as by manufacturers of armament within its insolvency proceedings.
Companies in the heavy industry and automotive sectors turn to Cuatrecasas for advice and representation in large-scale M&A, financing transactions and litigation, as well as employment and competition law matters. Javier Fontcuberta advises automotive companies on car manufacturing, distribution and after-sales service. Beyond Spain, the firm's lawyers in Shanghai and Beijing are also active in the industrial and automobile sectors.
Other key lawyers:
PMI HOLDING (PEMEX)
- Advising on the Spanish side of the joint venture between OTPP-owned Exal and the Ardagh Group, including the sale of Ardagh Metal Packaging Ibérica.
- Advising Bergé on (i) selling 25% of the company to Mitsubishi Corporation; and (ii) refinancing its debt (€667m).
- Advising Gestamp Automoción on (i) an SFA and extending and ratifying related guarantees (€1.05bn); and (ii) renewing its promissory note programme (€350m).
Under the leadership of Diego Ramos, DLA Piper maintains a busy manufacturing practice, which counts steel, chemicals, packaging, automotive and logistics companies among its clients. The team's areas of expertise span environmental law matters, M&A, public procurement and employment litigation, among other areas. Elisa Lorenzo is a name to note at the associate level.
Other key lawyers:
Íñigo Gómez Jordana; Elisa Lorenzo
- Advised Papeles y Cartones de Europa (Europac), a Spain-based and listed packaging business, that has been offered to be acquired by DS Smith plc, a UK-based and listed packaging company.
- Advising St. Jude Medical, an important medical devices manufacturer, on a regular basis in connection with public contracts and tenders regarding judicial and administrative matters involving the company and its operation in Spain.
- Advised Grupo Gallardo in in contractual, administrative and environmental matters.
In the manufacturing sector, Gómez-Acebo & Pombo fields a seasoned, multi-disciplinary team, which is well equipped to advise automotive, industrial equipment, engineering, shipbuilding and chemicals companies; the team recently expanded its client base with a number of new client wins. Private equity and M&A partner Iñigo Erláiz heads the practice, while counsel Ainara Rentería leads the automotive sector group. María García de la Concha Álvarez is a key contact in the Vigo office; Pablo Fernández Cortijo was promoted to partner in January 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Ainara Rentería; Francisco Gil Durán; Pablo Fernández Cortijo
‘The advice provided by Ainara is excellent, and she has knowledge about the automotive sector that is difficult to find in another office.’
‘The ability to create a working group on the sector, and closeness to the customer.’
‘Very good quality, ability to handle complex matters that cover different changes and of any kind. Very good knowledge of the automotive sector.’
‘They offer very professional legal advice on the practice of the automobile with a very broad knowledge regarding current and future legal issues. Due to experience and knowledge of the sector, it has no comparison with other firms.’
‘Our company’s relationship is with Ainara Renteria, of counsel, who has created the practice of the automotive sector. Competitors do not have the same knowledge and expertise in our industry. Main qualities: Understanding the client’s needs, excellent coordination of legal matters with the rest of the firm’s areas, agility and work capacity, excellent relation between quality of work and price. ‘
‘For an in-house lawyer it is very important that the answers are agile and adapted to the needs of each specific moment. GA_P’s strong point is that its response is very realistic and appropriate. No false expectations are generated or topics are lengthened without being necessary.’
‘They understand both the company’s way of working and the internal lawyers, adapting their work to our needs. In our case, we work with Alfonso Areitio and Irantzu Aguirre and their assessment is very positive. For me, as an in-house attorney, it’s easy to raise issues with complete confidence.’
‘It stands out for its knowledge of the sector and multidisciplinary service. Our reference person in the the office is Sr Iñigo Erlaiz.’
Automotive & Industrial Systems, a division of Panasonic Corporation
SIRAP (previously Reynolds Food Packaging)
Abello Linde, S.A.
IP Cleaning España, S.L.
Teka Industrial, S.A.
Nestlé España, S.A.
Hyundai Motor España (Automotive)
Ford España (Automotive)
PORSCHE IBÉRICA, S.A. (Automotive)
Lease Plan N.V / Carnext B.V (Automotive)
- Advised Towa Pharmaceutical Ltd. in the acquisition of 100% ownership of Pensa Investments, S.L.
- Provides recurrent advice to Smurfit Kappa in the following areas: corporate, contracts, employment, environmental, energy, antitrust, compliance, civil litigation and criminal litigation.
- Advised Derichebourh, a French listed company, in the acquisition of Spanish Group LYRSA.
The manufacturing practice group at Uría Menéndez fields corporate, IP, data privacy, environmental, competition and litigation experts; the multi-disciplinary team acts for manufacturers of cars, pharmaceutical products and heavy equipment, as well as investors looking to acquire companies in the heavy industry or automotive sectors. In competition law, Patricia Vidal is a 'deep expert in industrial sectors' and Jaime Folguera is a 'national and international reference in his field'. José Massaguer and Teresa Paz-Ares are other names to note.
Patricia Vidal; José Massaguer; Teresa Paz-Ares
Other key lawyers:
Jaime Folguera; Borja Sainz de Aja
‘It is a magnificent team with a global vision of the industrial manufacturing sector. One of its characteristics is the flexibility to incorporate experts depending on the matter at hand. It compares very well with the equipment of other firms.’
‘Its solidity when making proposals as a result of a very deep knowledge of the issues. Its qualities include rigor, certainty, reliability and availability. The ability to adapt to customer conditions is an additional merit to highlight. I would highlight the following three partners: Jaime Folguera, national and international reference in her field; Patricia Vidal, deep expert in industrial sectors; Borja Sainz de Aja, outstanding in contractual aspects ’
‘The work we have done with U&M Madrid has to do with competition law and practice in our sector (industrial: manufacture of products for construction). It is a law firm with a high level of professional quality, strong knowledge of applicable law and the sector. Practical and rigorous.’
‘Jaime Folguera / Edurne Navarro / Patricia Vidal are recommended.’
GPF Capital II.
Procter & Gamble
- Advising Investindustrial on the acquisition of the Neolith Group.
- Advising Tubos Reunidos, a manufacturer of hot-rolled and cold-drawn seamless carbon and alloy steel tubes, in the restructuring of the financial indebtedness of its group.
- Advising Lone Star Funds and its Spanish portfolio company Esmalglass-Itaca-Fritta on the acquisition through Esmalglass of the tile coating business of Ferro Corporation, including Ferro Spain and a number of other Spanish companies such as Endeza, Zircosil and Quimicer.