Regularly acting for an impressive roster of clients, Cuatrecasas remains a reference within the food and beverage sector - both at a national and international level - and has a solid track record in handling corporate transactions in the sector. The department is jointly led by Barcelona-based litigator Jorge Llevat, who mainly handles IP disputes, and Madrid-based partner Jorge Botella, who is a popular choice for food and beverage companies in need of assistance on labelling and advertising matters. Other key lawyers include Pere Kirchner, also in Barcelona.
Industry focus: Food in Spain
MAHOU SAN MIGUEL
TGT (Grupo Teodoro García Trabadelo)
- Representing Eckes-Granini in infringement proceedings relating to the well-known Granini juice bottle shape trade mark.
- Advising Broadbill Investment Partners on challenging Abanca’s proposed refinancing agreement for Nueva Pescanova.
- Advising a client on a lawsuit brought by the Labor Inspectorate regarding the hiring of bogus self-employed workers and the system of hiring meat industry cooperatives to carry out certain activities.
Boasting a solid national presence, the highly regarded team at Garrigues is involved in some of the largest deals in the food and beverage industry, and regularly advises major operators regarding all stages of production, distribution and retailing. With corporate expert Rocío Belda De Mergelina at the helm, the department stands out for its capabilities in joint ventures, acquisitions and sales. Miguel Ángel López and Francisco Soler Caballero are other key members of the team, which operates from Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia and Murcia. Spanish clients looking to expand overseas can also rely on the firm's international network.
Other key lawyers:
BURGUER KING ESPAÑA
HEREDEROS DE MARQUES DE RISCAL
WILLIAM & HUMBERT
MARQUÉS DE GRIÑÓN FAMILY ESTATES
The EAT OUT Group, SL
GRUPO MAHOU – SAN MIGUEL
GRUPO LECHE PASCUAL
NUTRIMENTOS DEL CAMPO, S.A.
Unilever Foods Industrial España
CONSERVAS EL POZO
Red Bull España
Sunny Delight Portugal
BODEGAS LUIS CABALLERO
AGUAS DEL VALLE DE LA OROTAVA
HeaLthtech Bio Active, S.L.
- Advised Burger King on the acquisition of a majority stake in Restaurant Brands International’s unit in the Iberian peninsula in a deal valued at €1bn.
- Advised some of the owners of The Natural Fruit Company in the sale to Fremman of a participation in Global Agro Investment.
- Advised Grupo Bimbo on the acquisition of Siro Medina from Grupo Siro.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo is a popular choice for some of the main food manufacturers and distributors in Spain, and can regularly be found advising on a wide range of matters, including commercial, advertising and IP-related mandates. Housing notable regulatory expertise, the team is co-headed by Mónica Weimann, who combines her IP background with her M&A practice, and José Luis Palma, who has a focus on matters related to food chains, nutritional and health claims, food quality and food designations. Key support comes from IP experts Jesús Muñoz-Delgado and Sofía Martínez-Almeida, who advises clients on matters ranging from labelling and advertising campaigns to complaints before the Spanish self-regulatory body.
Other key lawyers:
Sofía Martínez-Almeida; Jesús Muñoz-Delgado
‘Subject matter experts, ability to focus on the specific needs of the client.’
‘Specialisation, sectorial knowledge and dedication and interest in the peculiarities and particularities of each client.’
‘Availability, accessibility and involvement with the issues that concern them. Our main contact person is Jose Luis Palma.’
‘Strong point: high knowledge of the agri-food sector from a legal point of view.’
‘Very good service. Diligence in answering queries. Accurate and understandable answers.’
Coca-Cola European Partners
Galletas Gullón, S.A.
Grupo Kaiku Corporación Alimentaria, S.A.
Makro/Metro Group AG
Nestlé España, S.L.
Red Bull GmbH
LIDL Supermercados, S.A.U.
Nutreco Iberia, S.L.
Jacobs Douwe Egberts, N.V.
Fall Creek Farm & Nursery Inc
Asociación Interprofesional del Porcino de Capa Blanca (INTERPORC)
Organización Interprofesional del Vino de España (OIVE)
Organización Interprofesional de la Carne de Vacuno (PROVACUNO)
Organización Interprofesional para el Impulso del Sector Cunícola (INTERCUN)
Organización Interprofesional del Huevo y sus Productos (INPROVO)
Organización Interprofesional del Aceite de Orujo de Oliva (ORIVA)
Cooperativas Agro-alimentarias de España
Asociación Nacional de Empresas de Aceite de Orujo de Oliva (ANEO)
Asociación Nacional de Industriales Envasadores y Refinadores de Aceites Comestibles (ANIERAC)
Asociación Española de la Industria y el Comercio Exportador del Aceite de Oliva (ASOLIVA)
Federación Española de Industriales Fabricantes de Aceites de Oliva (INFAOLIVA)
- Advised Mercadona on the implementation of a compliance programme.
- Advised several companies in the food sector in Spain in relation to the development of a project for the transformation of the Spanish meat-livestock chain.
- Designed and developed a system ensuring knowledge of and compliance with competition laws in Africa for Equatorial Coca Cola Bottling Company.
In the food and beverage sector, Uría Menéndez fields a sizeable team of lawyers ‘with extremely high professional quality and excellent professional ethics’. Montiano Monteagudo, also in Barcelona, is another name to note. Former department lead Elena Úbeda has retired.
Other key lawyers:
‘Uría Menéndez has a group of professional lawyers with extremely high professional quality and excellent professional ethics. This practice is good at cooperation, especially in international projects with excellent multi-field collaboration capabilities.’
‘Multidisciplinary approach, availability and friendliness.’
‘Availability, friendliness, professionalism, transparency.’
‘I couldn’t be happier. Whenever we work with Uria in any area I know it will be something of high quality.’
‘They are lawyers but they don’t just focus on the legal side, they understand the client and their objectives. Always available.’
Champagne Louis Roederer
According to a client, Andersen ‘has a really unique historical background in the agri-food sector, with very relevant clients’. The firm houses a dedicated team, which draws resources from other disciplines, with key names including ‘great negotiator’ Ignacio Aparicio and litigation, bankruptcy and arbitration partner José Miguel Soriano. The department regularly advises both Spanish and multinational companies in a wide range of matters, particularly M&A transactions; litigation; regulatory and tax mandates. Belén Palao left the firm in April 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Tomás Rivero; Ignacio Aparicio
‘Andersen has a really unique historical background in the agri-food sector, with very relevant clients.’
‘They have a very structured working group from different areas very focused and specialised in the needs of the sector, up to date not only on legislative developments, but with an important level of information on regulatory trends, especially where issues as important as global trade policies are going, which is very helpful for us.’
‘We would like to highlight, without a doubt, Ignacio Aparicio. He is a great negotiator and very close to our needs, and always manages to be available.’
Miguel Gallego S.A. (Migasa)
Aceitunas del Guadalquivir
FEPEX (Federación Española de Asociaciones de Productoras Exportadoras de Frutas y Hortalizas)
J. García Carrión
Federación Española de Alimentación y Bebidas (FIAB)
Federación Española del Vino (FEV)
Avramar Group –formerly Grupo Andrómeda-
Congelados y Frescos del Mar (Confremar)
- Representing Imperial Brands in the process for the sale of the premium cigars division of Spanish affiliate Tabacalera.
- Advising Iberian Smart Financial Agro (ISFA) on the financing of an almond plantation located in Córdoba.
- Advises Foodiverse on different deals and day-to-day tax matters.
International full-service firm Baker McKenzie offers a multidisciplinary team, comprised of lawyers from different areas of law, co-headed by Barcelona-based IP, unfair competition and advertising expert Cristina Duch and corporate and M&A partner Juanjo Corral, who works from Madrid. The team is the firm of choice for numerous international brands operating in Spain, as well as Spanish multinationals exporting their products to different countries worldwide, with key clients including Guzmán Gastronomía, Unilever and Día.
AmRest Holdings SE
Celler Mas Doix
Corporación Alimentaria Peñasanta, S.A.
Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentación, S.A. (DIA)
Griffith Foods Group Inc.
- Providing analysis of the labelling of a new series of organic vodka flavoured infusions to be launched in various European markets for Moet Hennessy.
- Represented Danone in a sanctioning procedure initiated by the Galician Consumer Agency regarding a yogurt line.
- Advised 4life regarding a requirement issued by the Catalan authorities with regards to the update of the health register of industries and food products of Catalonia.
Bird & Bird
Bird & Bird's Madrid office houses a team of four partners, who are regularly instructed by a varied roster of food companies and multinational retail and dining companies, on M&A, regulatory and IP related matters. Noted practitioners include Lourdes Ayala and senior consultant Diana Sendagorta, both of whom garner praise for being ‘technically excellent’ and for having ‘great availability and creativity’. Antonio Cueto, who covers all IP-related mandates, is another name to note.
Isidro del Moral; Lourdes Ayala; Antonio Cueto; Manuel Lobato
Other key lawyers:
‘Lourdes Ayala and Diana Sendagorta are technically excellent, with great availability and creativity.’
AMC FRESH GROUP FAST MOVING CONSUMER GOODS, S.L.
AORA HEALTH, S.L.
BACOA HOLDING, S.L.
ENOPASIÓN ESTUDIOS DE INGENIERÍA ENOLÓGICA, S.L..
HARD ROCK LIMITED
HJ HEINZ GOODS SPAIN, S.L.
JOLLIBEE FOODS CORPORATION
KFC RESTAURANTS SPAIN, S.L.
LLAOLLAO ESPAÑA S.L.
PHARMACTIVE BIOTECH PRODUCTS, S.L.
PIZZAEXPRESS (FRANCHISES) LIMITED
POMONA KEEPERS, SL
VEGAN JUNK FOOD
WORLD BULK WINE EXHIBITIONS S.L.
- Advised on the negotiation of the entry into the share capital of the Pharmactive Group of the French investor SIPAREX GROUP, with a 20% stake for €32m.
- Advised Brew Masters on the acquisition and sale of a majority stake in Cervezas La Cibeles.
DLA Piper has established a solid reputation in the market as a trusted advisor for multinational companies, assisting them in a range of mandates, from transactional and franchising matters to investigations and litigation. Diego Ramos leads the practice, closely supported by head of the EU and competition department Joaquín Hervada and IP specialist Paula González de Castejón.
Other key lawyers:
Hard Rock Café
- Advising Bacardi regarding the new terms and conditions of sale and purchase of products.
- Advising Soifa Alimentación on contractual matters to the Spanish market leader of Hummus, falafel and other Mediterranean food stuff.
- Advice to International Procurement and Logistics Limited regarding the new legal framework in Spain on food procurement.