Burges Salmon LLP continues to provide intellectual property advice to an enviable client base in the media and entertainment sectors, including prominent film and TV production companies. The practice’s work in this space includes assisting clients with the protection and commercial use of IP on a multi-jurisdictional basis. Elsewhere, the team provides advice on commercial contracts to record labels, festivals, production companies and broadcasters, and also advises on advertising campaigns. Jeremy Dickerson is well-regarded for his work on IP issues in the media space, while Helen Scott-Lawler has a focus on advising on commercial agreements. Emily Roberts was promoted to partner in May 2021 and leads on intellectual property disputes.
Media and entertainment in South West
Burges Salmon LLP
Other key lawyers:
Helen Scott-Lawler; Emily Roberts
BBC Studios Ltd
Sam Branson / Sundog Pictures
Virgin Group (including Virgin Enterprises Limited, Virgin Media, Virgin Care)
20th Century Studios
Play Sports Network (owner of Global Cycling Network)
- Advising the BBC and BBC Studios on all UK and EU trade mark applications and registrations as sole counsel.
- Acting as UK trade mark Counsel for Discovery, Inc and Eurosport, advising on clearance, registry proceedings, and UK enforcement issues.
- Advising Sam Branson & Sundog Pictures on the formation of production company HiddenLight Productions with Hilary and Chelsea Clinton.
Osborne Clarke LLP
Osborne Clarke LLP‘s Bristol-based media and entertainment team acts alongside the firm’s offices across the UK to advise clients in growing areas such as streaming, video games and social media as well as the more traditional film and TV industries. Regulatory specialist Mary Lawrence has established herself as a leading figure on health and safety issues related to media productions, providing advice on issues such as COVID-19, animal welfare, security and accidents on set. The team is also instructed to advise clients on matters related to advertising. Tom Harding is another key figure in the South West team, with experience across IP protection and licensing as well as consumer regulation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Provides practical advice on health and safety and Covid as it related to film production.’
‘Clear, practical and knowledgeable.’
Advertising Producers Association
Big Deal Films
- Supported ITV in leading the preparation of Industry Guidance for the TV production industry to continue filming in Covid-19 and to support them in agreeing draft guidance with the other public service broadcasters (BBC, Sky, Viacom and Channel 4) and then seeking comment and buy in from the four nations governments and other industry consultees before publication via PACT.
- Supported the Advertising Producers Association (APA) in putting together guidelines to film safely in Covid-19, drawing upon expertise developed in doing the same for the TV production industry. The guidelines and supporting documents were published by the APA and used across the industry.
Battens Solicitors Limited
At Battens Solicitors Limited, Brian Levine heads up a varied media and entertainment practice which advises clients across the film, TV, music and publishing sectors. The ‘highly responsive and knowledgeable’ Levine assists clients with the protection of media-related IP rights as well as their exploitation through licensing agreements. The production of film and TV programmes is another area of expertise for the ‘no-nonsense and supremely practical’ practice.
‘A no-nonsense and supremely practical company that does not have the high overheads of a fully London practice.’
‘A highly responsive and knowledgeable lawyer with a wide range of experience internationally, Brian Levine is usually available and efficient in providing necessary guidance when needed urgently.’
The Illuminated Film Company Limited
- Advising award-winning UK producer Mallinson Sadler Productions on all matters relating to the financing, production and broadcast of a multi-season prime-time documentary series on major terrestrial and pay TV channels worldwide viewed across Disney+, National Geographic and other channels worldwide.
- Advising The Illuminated Film Company Limited on an animation film co-production between the UK and Poland involving the BBC, the BFI Young Audience Content Fund and Creative Scotland.
- Advising Testimony Films on the co-production of a 9/11 documentary commemorating the 20th anniversary of the events of 9/11 from the perspective of the women involved entitled “9/11 Women” broadcast on ABC in the United States and internationally.
Since its establishment in 2019, White Jackman has carved out a niche in providing 'practical, commercial advice' to TV production companies on all aspects of pre-production, production and broadcast. The team’s advice covers Ofcom compliance, defamation, intellectual property advice and the range of commercial agreements involved in the production of TV programmes. Practice head Duncan White has deep experience in this space, having previously worked in-house at a production company, and is praised as 'a superb media lawyer'.
Other key lawyers:
‘The White Jackman team have strong knowledge in the Media sector. They collaborate with you and share any risks or concerns across the production.’
‘I value Duncan White highly. He is calm and knowledgeable and happy to put in the hours when we need him!’
‘Strong understanding of media law and very commercial in the advice they give.’
72 Films Limited
Appeal TV Limited
Awen Productions CIC
Beagle Media Limited
Boom Cymru TV Limited
Forest Ventures Limited
Golden Wild Limited
Gritty Talent Group Limited
Label1 Television Limited
OR Media Limited
Outline Productions Limited
Oxford Scientific Films Limited
Rebel Television and Media Limited
Rock Oyster Media Productions Limited
South Shore Productions Limited
Twofour Broadcast Limited
- Provided legal and business affairs support to 72 Films on their six-part television miniseries 9/11: One Day in America for National Geographic, produced in association with the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.
- Advised Forest on all matters relating to the pre-production, production, and broadcast of the BBC documentary The Battle for Britney: Fans, Cash, and a Conservatorship.
- Advised Label1 Television on all matters relating to the pre-production, production and broadcast of the seventh series of Hospital, a six-part series on the BBC.
Steer & Co
Boutique firm Steer & Co focuses on the media, technology and creative sectors, providing commercial advice to clients relating to the creation and ownership of intellectual property. The practice is also active in the outsourcing space, handling transactions involving creative services such as website creation and the provision of PR services. Rebecca Steer leads the team and is praised by clients for her sector knowledge.
‘We commissioned Steer & Co to overhaul our client and employment contracts, focusing on the needs of digital agencies and the involving practices within the market. The team at Steer & Co were on hand and very responsive when we had client and freelancer feedback on the contracts, implementing changes and helping gain agreement on the new contracts.’
‘Rebecca Steer was an excellent practitioner and gave significant insight into the market and legal practices affecting us as a Digital agency. I’d not hesitate to recommend Rebecca and her team. ’
‘The team clearly has a good grasp of the legal requirements of a digital agency, which makes engagements effective. This gives them an edge over some of the more generic legal firms.’
Calling the Shots
Institute of Contemporary Arts
Noisy Little Monkey
- Advised Calling the Shots and drafted suite of template IPR option agreements for use with new artists and creatives. The agreements enable options over IPR to be created in new works in return for collaboration between CTS and the artists.
- Advised VVAST on the negotiation and completion of multiple Direct to Consumer e-commerce website build contracts and SEO online marketing optimisation services agreement for brands including Pura Vida and YETI.
- Advised the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) on its collaboration and sponsorship with Dr Martens and drafted the contracts to be used with emerging artists selected for grants in the “Image Behaviour” exhibition supported by Dr Martens.