The team at Ashfords LLP excels in trade mark work, managing portfolios for a number of corporates and multinationals. Its expertise spans clearance, filings and prosecutions, as well as registrations, renewals maintenance and licensing issues. The group also provides patent attorney services, with a sub-team that handles drafting, filing and prosecutions. The department is led by Carl Steele, described as 'truly an expert in his field', who has particular expertise in the retail sector. Clare Jackman, dual qualified as a solicitor and trade mark attorney, brings to bear experience in UK, European and international brand protection and portfolio management. Mark Lomas has expertise in the commercial exploitation of IP rights, while Kaya Elkiner is a patent attorney licensed to practice in the UK and EU.
Intellectual property in South West
Other key lawyers:
Clare Jackman; Mark Lomas; Tom Phipps; Kaya Elkiner
‘Ashfords’ professionalism and precision in following and supporting all IP matters for our company is impeccable.’
‘Carl Steele is truly an expert in his field and his proactive approach is a massive support.’
‘The Ashfords team were invaluable.’
‘Very responsive in the new online environment. ’
‘Carl Steele has been not only incredibly responsive to our demanding timescales but has provided truly practical advice and guidance. His understanding of the subject and ability to leverage this in negotiations has been impressive.’
The Roald Dahl Story Company
Ginsters (Samworth Brothers)
J W Anderson
The Brand Architekts PLC
Pancho Music Inc.
Beat Capital Partners Limited
Tarian Underwriting Limited
Chord Reinsurance Limited
Munitus Agency Limited
Alitus Intermediaries Limited
Brace Underwriting Limited
Alcor UK Holdings Limited
Satinwood Underwriting Limited
Amtrust Management Services Limited
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP
Borden Ladner & Gervais LLP
- Acting for Shazam Productions in respect of court proceedings for copyright infringement and passing-off against unlicensed third parties that have produced and have been performing an unlicensed “Only Fools and Horses” interactive dining show across the UK.
- Acting for Lay & Wheeler in respect of a trade mark dispute with rival wine merchant “Mr Wheeler”.
- Acting for Aardman Animations in applying to invalidate an EU designation of an international trade mark registration for ‘aardman’ (the client’s corporate name and trade mark), filed by a Chinese entity.
Burges Salmon LLP‘s IP department acts for an enviable roster of clients, including Starbucks and the BBC, for which the team plays an important role in portfolio management issues. The ‘astute, dynamic and approachable‘ team is active across the contentious and non-contentious piece, being instructed in numerous trade mark, passing-off and copyright claims before the High Court and Court of Appeal. Jointly heading the group are Jeremy Dickerson, ‘a trusted subject matter expert‘ who is an expert in passing-off cases, and Helen Scott-Lawler, who has substantial experience on the advisory side. Newly promoted partner Emily Roberts has a strong contentious IP practice, recently acting in a number of big-ticket copyright and trade mark-related proceedings. Senior associate Georgina Shaw is recommended for trade mark portfolio management.
Jeremy Dickerson; Helen Scott-Lawler
Other key lawyers:
Emily Roberts; Georgina Shaw; Richard Hugo
‘Rapid, concise, technically correct and commercially astute advice from a lovely team.‘
‘They’re all very good at what they do, they know what kind of advice we want and don’t over or under-serve.’
‘The team at Burges Salmon has consistently delivered great advice, work product and results for a difficult matter. They are extremely responsive and communicate effectively with the business, legal and senior management, making the job of in-house counsel easier.’
‘This practice is unique because it is made up of astute, dynamic and approachable individuals whose output in terms of legal advice is always on point, practical and tailored to both our immediate needs and our needs going forward.’
‘Emily Roberts was superb in the provision of advice and management of our claim, tailoring her advice to our business so we were quickly able to understand the risks and agree an approach to resolve the matter. Emily was quick, on point, and practical when dispensing legal advice at all times.’
‘User friendly, client focused, and very knowledgeable.’
‘Jeremy Dickerson is a trusted subject matter expert whose views we value enormously.’
‘Georgina Shaw is an up-and-coming star who is thorough and knowledgeable and inspires great confidence in her clients.’
BBC and BBC Studios Ltd
JET Petrol Stations (Phillips 66)
Discovery, Inc. (Discovery Channel and Eurosport)
Brocade Communications Systems, LLC. (subsidiary of Broadcom, Inc.) & Avago Technologies International Sales Pte Ltd
John Lewis and Waitrose
L Brands: Victoria’s Secret, PINK, and Bath & Body Works,
Virgin Enterprises Limited (Virgin Group)
Santa Barbara Polo Club
- Advising the BBC and BBC Studios on all UK and EU trade mark applications and registrations as sole counsel.
- Acting as sole UK trade mark counsel to Starbucks.
- Acting for the Santa Barbara Polo Club in High Court trade mark infringement proceedings brought by the owner of the Beverly Hills Polo Club brand in Europe.
The 'highly effective and highly responsive' team at Osborne Clarke LLP acts for an impressive list of corporate clients and government agencies, which it advises on all aspects of their IP portfolios. The group has experience in global trade mark filings and oppositions, patent litigation and commercial IP transactions, in addition to a niche in trade secrets cases. The team is led by IP litigation expert Clare Robinson. Will Robertson assists the firm's technology clients, providing advice on the development, procurement and exploitation of their assets. Douglas Peden is regularly instructed on contentious trade mark and copyright issues, while Tom Harding is the name to note for media-related IP work. Senior associate Becky Crawford is an expert in trade secrets and trade marks.
Other key lawyers:
Will Robertson; Douglas Peden; Tom Harding; Becky Crawford
‘Highly effective and highly responsive team.’
‘Clare Robinson leads and delegates with a high degree of efficiency, ensuring the best outcomes within budget.’
Babcock Integrated Technology Limited
Martin Millers Gin
Western Power Distribution
Church of England and Environment Agency
Causeway Technologies Limited
- Managing Eurostar’s worldwide trade mark portfolio across over 60 jurisdiction and acting as Eurostar’s sole adviser for all IP matters.
- Advised Babcock regarding the intellectual property rights and licences to enable it to design a ventilator and put in place the supply chain for manufacturing the product, following the UK government’s call to industry in the early stages of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advised the pensions funds for the Church of England and The Environment Agency on creating the Transition Pathway Initiative (TPI) – a data-driven initiative which creates indices and ratings of large companies as part of a climate action benchmark.
Humphreys & Co. in Bristol is an intellectual property boutique handling IP advisory and disputes work, where clients appreciate the 'personal and prompt service'. Contentious work includes a busy practice involving passing-off cases and trade mark prosecution. The group is led by founding partner Robert Humphreys, admitted to practise in England, Ireland and Belgium, and a veteran of trade mark infringement cases. Tristan Morse, also admitted in Ireland, is another trade mark expert, and handles design and copyright matters. 'Outstanding' senior associate Ruth Annand is well known in the trade mark space.
Other key lawyers:
Tristan Morse; Ruth Annand
‘The advice from the team has always been perfect and on every single occasion we have “won”.‘
‘Personal and prompt service, excellent and trustworthy advice.’
‘They provide quality service at a reasonable price. Similar to other large firms with IP specialists.’
‘A down-to-earth and timely service.’
‘We have always found them to be efficient and effective in fighting cases on our behalf, winning virtually every case with little given away. They are also proactive in that they have highlighted trade mark infringements that we haven’t spotted.’
‘Our main contact is Ruth Annand, who I feel is outstanding. I have always found her to be knowledgeable, efficient and effective. Just what I want from my lawyer.’
‘The Humphreys team are quick, efficient and cost effective. Their communications are succinct and easy to understand and follow. For a business owner this is a godsend.’
‘Tristan Morse has managed our IP rights for quite some time and does so extremely well.’
Lawyers at Michelmores LLP handle a wide variety of contentious and non-contentious IP issues for corporates and SMEs, covering patents, trade marks, copyright and trade secrets. The group is led by commercial IP expert David Thompson. Charlotte Bolton has an increasingly active IP disputes practice.
Other key lawyers:
Charles Courtenay; Charlotte Bolton; Freya Lemon
TLT's team focuses on portfolio management and IP disputes, as well as transactional IP issues. The group is most noted for its work on trade marks and brand protection. Heading the technology and IP team is James Touzel, who regularly advises on IP strategies. Dan Read advises on IP commercialisation. 'Creative, strong and strategic' legal director Jo Pritchard has an increasingly active trade marks practice, handling disputes and leading the filing team.
Other key lawyers:
Dan Read; Jo Pritchard; Emma Erskine-Fox; Kiera Dale
‘Very open to our expectations.’
‘Jo Pritchard is very creative, strong and strategic. She is very pragmatic and straight forward.’
‘Jo Pritchard is excellent.’
Matthew Clark Bibendum Limited
Hirsch et Associes
CCI Global (Mauritius) Limited,
Open Bionics Limited
Ultra Horizon Limited
Brabantia (UK) Limited
Muckle Brig Limited (Port of Leith Distillery)
Fountain Elevated Holdings LLC
Punch Taverns plc
- Won an opposition for Muckle Brig Limited (Port of Leith Distillery) and then successfully defended an appeal, resulting in enduring brand protection for the client.
BPE Solicitors LLP
BPE Solicitors LLP is most noted for advising on contentious and non-contentious copyright, trade mark and design rights issues. In 2020, the group went through a period of expansion, adding technology sector expert Sarah Kenshall from Burges Salmon LLP and senior associate Matt Jackson, a commercial contracts specialist, from Knights plc. It has substantial experience representing claimants and defendants in infringement cases and is increasingly active in the trade mark disputes space. Another area where the firm stands out is dealing with counterfeit goods and unregistered design infringements. Patents are a smaller part of the practice, but lawyers assist with pre and post-grant issues and licensing issues. The group in Cheltenham is jointly led by non-contentious IP lawyer Iain Garfield and IP litigator Riyaz Jariwalla.
Iain Garfield; Riyaz Jariwalla
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Kenshall; Matt Jackson
‘Riyaz Jariwalla offered friendly and knowledgeable advice given in a clear manner.’
Midshires Care Limited
Outdoor & Cycle Concepts (Cotswold Outdoor)
Open Data Institute
Action Against Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Gottlieb Rackman & Reisman PC
Soho Coffee Shops Limited
The Traffic Group / AGD Systems
The Galebreaker Group
Ultima Displays Limited
Trademark Factory International Inc
Timber Trade Federation / Timber Development UK
CLEAN Linen Services
John Gillman & Sons (Electrical) Limited
- Advised Action Against Age-Related Macular Degeneration on applying for trade mark protection in the UK, EU and US for its new service ‘Charitech’, dealing with objections from the Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin hospital and the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Advised Icon Art on negotiations with an applicant who wanted to register a logo which was infringing on the client’s rights and on issuing formal opposition proceedings with the UKIPO.
- Supervising the UCAS trade mark portfolio and advising on trade mark registrations in Taiwan, Singapore and India (including renewals and oppositions), as well as further trade mark applications in Canada, Mexico, Thailand, the US, India and China.
Foot Anstey has a strong contentious IP practice that has experience advising major brands on anti-privacy and anti-counterfeiting issues, as well as conducting availability searches and defending registered and unregistered designs. On the advisory front, the 'brilliant' team has expertise in IP franchising agreements and related disputes. The department is led by Paul Cox, who splits his time between Exeter and Southampton, and includes managing associate Annalisa Checchi, an expert in commercial contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Annalisa Checchi; Hannah Batten
‘The team at Foot Anstey is brilliant. They are patient, knowledgeable and relatable people. They are easy to work with and very understanding. Annalisa Checchi in particular has really impressed me with her relatable attitude along with Paul Cox.’
‘The team work well together and are comfortable in passing different types of work to other departments and specialists, but on each occasion allocating a ‘point’ person to make communication easier for the client. Responses are usually quick, balanced and knowledgeable, but always conducted in a friendly and warm manner.’
‘In this area of the business I tend to work with Annalisa Checchi, who despite being incredibly busy, always gives you the impression that she has all the time in the world for you, making you feel like a valued client. She always follows through with the promises made, regardless of the time it takes to achieve them.’
Par-Pak Limited (Novolex)
Tomy UK Co Ltd
Cath Kidston Limited
Motion Picture Association (MPA) & Alliance for Creativity & Entertainment (ACE)
Eden Project Limited
- Advising the Eden Project in relation to the management of its international trade mark portfolio, including advising on and applying for trade mark protection for new brands the client wishes to launch and its international expansion into various territories around the world.
- Assisting Pay UK with managing its trade mark portfolio and dealing with various infringement issues.
- Managing the national and international trade mark portfolio for Reach Plc.
With 'a wide variety of knowledge and skills', Mewburn Ellis LLP is best known for its contentious IP practice, as well as providing strategic portfolio advice to IP owners. Areas of expertise include declarations of invalidity, non-infringements, cancellations and entitlement actions, as well as appeals to the UK and EU IP courts. The department is led by Sean Jauss and includes Caroline Hart, a litigator with a science background who is well placed to handle patent disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team stands out for its technical expertise and fair pricing, as well as its excellent network, passing work over to relevant experts when appropriate.’
‘They have a personable approach and are willing to work with us to address the issues we wish to address – they listen to what we want and then translate that into a good legal document.’
‘Good listeners and highly responsive.’
‘Attention to our needs and attention to detail.’
‘The Mewburn Ellis team brings a wide variety of knowledge and skills to meet the client’s needs, stretching across traditional patent and trade mark work. They are skilled in the protection of plant varieties as well.’
Playseats BV and F. Smit Holdings BV
Medical Air Technology Limited
Verily Life Sciences LLC
Flexicare Medical Limited
- Represented Dutch-based Playseats BV and F. Smit Holdings in IP and Enterprise Court (IPEC) proceedings in respect of the infringement of the clients’ registered and unregistered design rights in their racing simulator car seat by a UK-based business which imported a copycat product from China.
- Represented Medical Air Technology, an industry-leading manufacturer and supplier of clean-air ventilation systems, which was subject to a patent infringement claim by another UK business.
- Advising In-N-Out Burger in relation to its UK and EU trade mark portfolio, identifying infringers and addressing the infringement (usually by requiring a rebrand).
The 'experienced and knowledgeable' IP, technology and data protection team at Thrings LLP specialises in advising SMEs and owner-managed businesses on all their contentious and non-contentious IP requirements. Practice head Megan Jefferies, who has 'carved out this market for herself', is adept in applications and registrations, commercial contracts and enforcement issues.
‘Thrings has an experienced and knowledgeable team. I know that I can approach them on any topic and they will provide me with high-quality legal advice at a sensible cost. The speed of response is also excellent so no chasing is required.’
‘Megan Jeffries was knowledgeable, clear, patient, responsive and firm with the other side. This gave me an advantage in the negotiations, which were successfully concluded.’
‘The Thrings team is a highly capable and responsive to client needs. They understand the industry, and are strategic in their advice.’
‘Megan Jeffries is exceptional. She makes herself available after hours to overcome time zone differences, and is very receptive to our needs.’
‘Megan Jefferies has provided exceptional service to us over many years. Megan has always worked hard, tenaciously getting successful outcomes from the UKIPO despite initial set backs.’
‘They are responsive, thorough and flexible to meet our needs.’
‘The team have a strong understanding of their field, providing good service.’
‘Megan Jeffries has carved out this market for herself.’
Lovehoney Group Limited
Miller Harris Fragrances Limited
Pima Ventures UK Limited trading as Bolt
Clarendon Speciality Fasteners Limited (a division of Diploma Plc)
AMS Accountancy Limited
GS Yuasa Battery Sales (UK) Limited
Anthony Best Dynamics Limited
Bristol International Balloon Fiesta (BIBF)
- Co-ordinating the management of Lovehoney Group’s trade mark, patent, registered designs and copyrights portfolios, providing ongoing advice on registrations and enforcement.
- Advised Kenro on issues relating to its trade mark portfolio, and concurrent issues related to competition law.
- Advising GS Yuasa Battery Sales on its portfolio management, recently representing the client in relation to a passing off and trade mark infringement case against a Dutch supplier which is using Yuasa’s trade marks in relation to its own batteries.
VWV is most noted for its education sector work, advising on international school licensing. Other areas of expertise include trade mark portfolio management and IP work associated with the charity sector. The group is led by Doug Locke.
Other key lawyers:
Ben Holt; Paula Williams; Steph Pike
Keystone Law‘s ‘pragmatic‘ and ‘innovative‘ IP group in the South West offers services related to the identification, management, protection and exploitation of IP assets for a range of IP owners. Jessica Bent, who ‘knows her subject inside out‘, is noted for handling contentious and non-contentious issues on behalf of technology and creative sector clients. Charlie White is focused on IP arrangements and commercial contracts concerning software and mobile applications. Anna Keeling has experience in transactions that involve the transfer of IP rights.
Other key lawyers:
Jessica Bent; Charlie White; Anna Keeling
‘They are extremely professional and service is always to a very high standard. Having a team of specialists is highly beneficial and means we are always directed to the best individual for the type of enquiry we have.’
‘The team has a proactive approach, looking for areas of weakness and suggesting improvements to existing legal agreements and frameworks.’
‘Jessica Bent is thorough, pragmatic and innovative in her approach.’
‘First-class IP and technology team.’
‘The standout individual is Jessica Bent. Jessica is very diligent and has an in-depth knowledge of the field. She is very approachable. We have direct access to her with phone and email.’
‘Pragmatic, deliver the goods and are innovative. Very approachable and genuinely enjoy their work.’
‘Jessica Bent is very responsive and knows her subject inside out.’
Icon Scientific Limited
Bath Spa University
Adam Matthew Digital Limited
Anglia Home Furnishings Limited
Bitmap Books Ltd
Marine Conservation Society
Mytton Williams Ltd
Neptune (Europe) Ltd
- Advised Icon Scientific on various intellectual property subsistence issues, licensing agreements, non-disclosure and R&D agreements.
- Advising Adam Matthew Digital on its licensing agreements with archives, as well as advising on and drafting changes to customer-facing agreements.
- Advising niche computer games book publisher Bitmap Books on a variety of matters, including an exclusive licensing agreement with a game’s publisher, enabling Bitmap to produce and publish a book featuring particular games and artwork from the game’s publisher.
Stephens Scown LLP
The dedicated IP team at Stephens Scown LLP is focused on the protection and exploitation of brands, with expertise in trade marks, portfolio management, licensing and franchising. With an 'excellent breadth and depth of expertise', the group is also regularly instructed on contentious work, particularly in relation to infringements, clearance availability and knock-out searches. The department is led from Exeter by Ben Travers, whose clients include Russell Group universities. Senior associate Thomas Chartres-Moore is noted for handling portfolios in the food and drinks sector, while 'highly knowledgeable' fellow associate Kathryn Heath is building a strong IP audit practice.
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Chartres-Moore; Kathryn Heath
‘The team are friendly and approachable. They share their knowledge and their breadth of experience is clear to see in the advice they give. The team work well together and collaborate frequently.’
‘Ben Travers stands out for his friendly, quick and professional approach. He has always been open to advising us on a wide range of issues, and will always consult other colleagues if the advice is out of his area of expertise. I have always had quick responses from the team and they have been engaged and interested in our business, helping out at events and supporting our journey.’
‘The team have a good range of knowledge and provide timely and practical advice.’
‘Kathryn Heath is a highly knowledgeable lawyer and able to provide excellent and commercial advice on a wide range of issues.’
‘We have found Stephens Scown to have an excellent breadth and depth of expertise within the firm, balanced with excellent adaptability and communication. We can always pick up the phone and speak to them easily. I believe they are highly collaborative and always seeking ways to work together on client challenges.’
‘Kathryn Heath is our main point of contact and she is extremely approachable; she is pragmatic and highly knowledgeable, both of her subject but also of the strengths within her wider organisation that can be brought in for consultation. I think, aside from the quality of the work, it is the flexibility and understanding of the need for different approaches that is a key quality that makes Kathryn and her team stand apart.’
Willans LLP's 'customer-focused, responsive and supportive' team in Cheltenham has a varied contentious and non-contentious IP practice. On the disputes side, the 'consistently outstanding' Paul Gordon is highly experienced in infringement and passing-off claims, acting for the owners of patents, trade marks, design rights and copyrights. Kym Fletcher is an accomplished commercial lawyer with experience negotiating sponsorship agreements for sporting events, as well as managing trade mark enforcement programmes, content acquisition and distribution agreements.
Paul Gordon; Kym Fletcher
‘Very practical approach to litigation. Great team that works well, allocating resources as appropriate to cater to the needs of different clients at each stage of the case.’
‘Paul Gordon is a very safe pair of hands, with great attention to detail and fantastic organisation.’
‘Willans is extremely customer focused, responsive and supportive, with tailored and well-considered actions throughout.’
‘Paul Gordon has been consistently outstanding in the support he has provided to us with a complex and business-critical issue. He provided immediate peace of mind that we were in capable hands and throughout the complex pathway the legal proceedings have been handled promptly and with well-considered expertise to guide us to a highly satisfactory conclusion.’
Puma International Sports Marketing BV
Harmony Medical Distribution Limited
Midland Chemicals Limited
Stichd Sports Merchandising UK Limited
Ferryfast Limited (including Keyfesh IT Limited)
Poundstretcher Limited (to include Crowncrest Leicester plc)
Balance Healthcare Limited
Ferryfast Holdings Limited
- Acting for Stichd Sports Merchandising BV in a claim in the High Court against the liquidators for a well-known former F1 team, concerning the breach of an IP licence in respect of F1 products.
- Continuing to represent Poundstretcher in connection with a variety of IP matters, both handling contentious work and advising on branding.
- Acting for Continental Limited, a software development business, in respect of a claim against a customer and a third-party developer where its code was copied during a bespoke project.
Battens Solicitors Limited
Key areas for the team at Battens Solicitors Limited, which has a specialism in the media and entertainment sectors, include trade mark and copyright protection, licensing and IP issues related to media production and publishing. The group is co-led by Brian Levine and IT contracts expert Peter Livingstone, both of whom are based in Yeovil.
Brian Levine; Peter Livingstone
DAC Beachcroft LLP
Lawyers in Harrison Clark Rickerbys' Cheltenham office are particularly focused on IP litigation, an area where Steven Murray takes the lead. Murray works closely with the firm's national office to provide a full IP service to IP owners, creators and users, but primarily handles patent, trade mark and copyright enforcement and protection issues.
Digital Swiss Gold
Amber Energy Solutions
Hype For Type
- Advising Gemco on complex multi-jurisdictional disputes.
- Advising Hype for Type on intellectual property infringement claims against internationally renowned organisations, and managing the potential brand reputational damage for the client as well as its opponents.
The 'incredibly efficient' team at Laceys is well integrated into the firm's corporate and commercial offering, mainly handling issues relating to the registration and exploitation of trade marks and copyright. The group is headed by Sam Freeman, while Brendan Herbert leads on IP disputes. The 'exceptional' Edwina Bones is a commercial contracts lawyer whose practice often interfaces with IP issues.
Other key lawyers:
Brendan Herbert; Edwina Bones; Charlotte Mitchell
‘The team is incredibly efficient and very responsive.’
‘Edwina Bones is exceptional. She is the most diligent person I have come across. Her response time is incredible. Nothing is too much trouble. I would highly recommend her to anyone.’
‘Great customer service and communication. A delight to work with.’
Murrell Associates focuses on trade marks, advising on registration strategy and portfolio management issues. Work is mainly handled by 'quick, efficient and flexible' associate Rebecca Anforth, who is adept at drafting collaboration agreements. Anforth also has experience in enforcement matters.
‘They are understanding of our business needs and inform us of the best routes and services for what we are trying to achieve. Everyone is incredibly helpful and friendly.’
‘Murrell Associates offer a top-quality service to businesses in the South West.’
‘A small but highly professional firm that responds quickly and efficiently to enquiries backed up by relevant expertise. They offer a very personal service and are flexible and agile in their ability to meet urgent and complex demands.’
‘The advice we have received has been invaluable. The response from Rebecca Anforth and the firm has been quick, efficient and flexible. A very personable approach and makes me feel like a valued customer.’
Cornish Geothermal Distillery Company Ltd
Inyanga Maritime Limited
MWR Media Limited
Morlands (Glastonbury) Limited
Key Currency Limited
Women and Waves Ltd
Finisterre UK Limited
SUMO Services Limited
Jigsaw XYZ Limited
Celtic Sheepskin & Co Ltd
Events Intelligence Limited
Intermedia Brand Marketing Limited
Hub Box Limited
Eight Wire Limited
Project 2 VR Limited
- Advised Finisterre UK Limited on its collaborations with various third parties, including The Natural History Museum and Palladium.
- Advised Morlands (Glastonbury) Limited on the acquisition of a global portfolio of trade marks and assisted with the recordal requirements in the relevant jurisdictions.
- Advising Cornish Geothermal Distillery Company Ltd on its intellectual property, brand protection and registration strategy.
Royds Withy King
Dan Meadon-Bower; Philip Banks-Welsh
Steer & Co
Bristol-based IP boutique Steer & Co advises clients on the protection and monetisation of their portfolios, throughout their lifecycles. Areas of expertise for founding and managing partner Rebecca Steer, whose clients are drawn from the digital sector, include registrations, sales, franchising and licensing, as well as IP-related dispute resolution.
‘Very cohesive team, easy to collaborate with.’
‘Very strong in IP transactions, in particular the licensing of software, IP warranty and indemnity.’
‘As always, the team at Steer & Co are very responsive, punctual, approachable and always act with the upmost professionalism. They are always up to date with their advice regarding intellectual property and always served our company with the very best advice to benefit our interests.’
‘Rebecca is always approachable. She has a great way of communicating advice in a clear and concise manner that is easily digested by the whole team. She always works hard to protect our company’s best interests, listening intently to our requirements.’
Calling The Shots
- Advised XMOS on an intercompany sale of intellectual property rights and a transfer between US subsidiary XMOS Inc and XMOS Limited in respect of voice-related and AI patents acquired as a result of the acquisition of Setem Technologies (a US company) by XMOS Inc.
- Advised Gravitywell on the IP ownership within its SaaS platform “Mezze” and on licence arrangements for use of the platform by users/clients.
- Advised Wallbarn on registered design rights applications for its “live” roofing system trays and provided ongoing advice on trade marks worldwide.