Personal injury: defendant in South West
DAC Beachcroft LLP is experienced in advising the defendant parties on brain and spinal injury claims as well as on injury claims arising from accidents in the construction sector. The firm also has expertise in cases involving chronic pain, amputations as well as musculoskeletal injuries. ‘The dynamic and client-focused’ Sally Yuill heads the practice as ‘a trusted adviser‘ and handles motor, employer liability, casualty and public liability claims for insurers and corporations. Paul Parke has particular expertise in claims involving children as well as medical and causation issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Sally Yuill brings flair, tactical excellence and detailed legal analysis to any case she deals with. She handles the top value multi-million pound cases and consistently gets first class results.’
‘A strong and experienced team that proactively manages high value claims to drive settlements and mitigate overall claims costs.’
‘The practice has strong technical knowledge of personal injury and the market.’
‘A great all-round defendant litigation team that offers full technical and practical support to insurers with innovative and smart approaches in an ever changing environment.’
‘DAC Beachcroft stands out because of its professionalism, depth of knowledge and proactive approach.’
‘The practices focuses on understanding the key isues and driving economic settlement.’
‘The firm provides timely reports, technically sound recommendations and has a lot of commercial awareness.’
- Advised Zurich Insurance on a £500k claim arising from a car traffic accident, which involved advice on crisis response, reputational risk, legal privilege as well as incident and criminal investigation.
- Advising Zurich Insurance on a claim arising from a leg injury, which involves allegations of dishonesty.
- Advised a charity on reputational risks in connection to a member of the public suffering serious injury.
- Advised on a £3m claim arising from a road traffic accident in which a lorry drove over a cyclist rendering him an incomplete tetraplegic together with a risk of a brain injury.
- Advised on a £1.3m claim arising from a brain injury sustained by a claimant with pre-existing special education needs.
Bevan Brittan LLP handles cases involving fractures as well as spinal, head and shoulder injuries arising from road traffic and workplace accidents. The practice is also experienced in handling public liability and contractual indemnity claims. Practice head Paul Taverner also advises on claims arising from diseases and accidents in the construction sector, which includes illnesses caused by dangerous building materials such as asbestos.
Covea Insurance plc
Nottingham County Council
Neon (formerly Marketform)
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance
Allianz Global Corporate and Specialty
Newham Learning Partnership
BLM acts for insurances in respect of injury claims involving chronic pain, brain injuries, traumata, paralysis as well as upper and lower limb amputations arising from road traffic accidents, fire, animal escaping and accidents in the agricultural sector. Rebecca Shafto also deals with cases involving injuries and diseases caused by the consumption of legal and illegal drugs. The firm also deals with infant claimants.
Other key lawyers:
Ecclesiastical Insurance Group
North Somerset Council
- Advised NIG on a workplace injury claim involving an employee who allegedly tripped and feel as a result of equipment left on the floor.
- Advised DLG on the settlement of a £6.5m paraplegic claim involving an unusual development of a syrinx in the spine of the claimant
- Advising NIG on a claim arising from a labour only subcontractor supplied to a building site lost his right arm from below the elbow after an accident involding a circular saw.
- Instructed LV= to progress rehabilitation and advance their interests.
DWF is experienced in acting for insurances on personal injury claims arising from fatal accidents as well as brain injuries, amputations and spinal injuries caused by workplace and road traffic accidents. Practice head Claire Gribben has expertise in handling claims arising from flawed products, public liability and industrial diseases including asbestosis. The firm assists with both litigations and pre-litigation settlements.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP specialises in advising on casualty claims for insurers, self-insured entities and private commercial organisations. 'The approachable and creative' David Brown heads the team and has particular expertise in dealing with employers' and public liability as well as, road traffic and travel accident claims. The practice regularly advises on hearing loss, chronic pain and workplace stress claims as well as on asbestos-related diseases.
Ashfords LLP advises on brain and multiple injury claims arising from situations including road traffic accidents and animal attacks as well as public and private events. ‘The robust, yet sensible, negotiator’ Flora Wood head the practice and specialises in loss claims and catastrophic injuries, which involves expertise in niche industries such as injuries arising from sports racing events.
‘The vastly experienced team is always mindful of the commercial objectives of the client and the benefits of early settlement. It is meticulously prompt in dealing with all stages of litigation and pre-litigation settlement.’
‘The team is always available.’
‘Flora Wood is very experienced in all types of personal injury claims. She is always clear and realistic in her advice to insurer clients. She is confident and well-prepared in her conduct of litigation.’
Browne Jacobson LLP regularly advises insurers, local authorities and NHS trusts. Practice co-head Joanne Pruden is experienced in advising on employer liability claims involving allegations of bullying and harassment, as well as claims against public institutions. The firm also deals with occupier liability claims and advises on industrial diseases such as asbestosis. The team additionally assists with claims arising from deafness and occupational stress.
Susan Mabbott; Joanne Pruden
Arthur J Gallagher/Plymouth Community Homes
Dorset County Council
Bristol City Council
Plymouth City Council
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service
Isle of Wight Council
East Devon District Council/Gallagher Bassett
Devon County Council
Somerset County Council
- Advising Dorset County Council and Zurich Insurance on a £4m claim arising from alleged historic sexual abuse, raising issues regarding vicarious liability.
- Advising Devon County Council and Gallagher Bassett on a claim for damages arising from alleged negligence in respite care home, raising issues regarding injury causation.
- Advising on a claim arising from alleged misfeasance in public office.
Wansbroughs primarily deals with the defence of claims brought against local authorities and other public institutions such as the police, fire services and corporate clients. The 'knowledgeable and hugely experienced' Robert Hams provides ‘an exceptional and unrivalled service’ when defending stress, bullying and harassment claims. The firm also assists with property-related compensation, detention and employers‘ liability claims. In addition, the practice deals with fatal accident claims.
‘Advice is always provided promptly and in a useful and friendly format.’
‘The practice is highly experienced, flexible, reactive and detailed.’
‘The personal touch that the team brings to the table is very much apparent in any dealings with it. The team is always happy to come to the rescue if there is a crisis at the client‘s end.’
‘The firm is highly respected by its client and determined to fight for their cause.’
‘The work is completed quickly and to a very high standard. It provides a realistic assessment of the merits.’
‘The team is professional and supportive.’
‘There is a strong ethos of excellence throughout the practice group.’
- Advising on a claim regarding the extent of public liability for the protection of two vulnerable children.
- Advising on a claim arising from occupational stress.
- Advised on a claim arising from a road traffic accident.
- Advised on a employers‘ liability claim.