Leading on licensing work at Burges Salmon LLP, Joanne Attwood assists with M&A involving licensed interests, and handles multi-site licensed portfolios for clients including the University of Bristol. The firm's team has particular expertise in gambling and gaming, advising online gambling operators on compliance issues related to betting, lotteries, competitions and promotions.
Licensing in South West
University of Bristol
Canadian and Portland Estates
The Racecourse Association
Darwin Property Investment
Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
Photo Me International Plc
Bristol Water Plc
Jockey Club Racecourses
- Advising the University of Bristol on the management of its licensed portfolio.
- Advising Essex & Herts Air Ambulance in relation to a large society lottery.
- Completing a full licensing audit for a group of nationally prominent museums.
The licensing team at TLT has expertise in estate management, advising large estates (including national pub companies) that own and operate premises licenses. As well as advising on license applications, it is also regularly instructed on contentious issues, including defending enforcement matters for music and arts festivals. Matthew Phipps takes the lead, with substantial experience taking matters before licensing committees and magistrates courts. In November 2019, the team benefited from the arrival of solicitor advocate Ewen Macgregor from Gregg Latchams LLP , who specialises in alcohol and gambling licensing.
‘The team at TLT assist when ever required and put ourselves at ease by delivering quality work in an exceptional manner.
Matthew Phipps has always done an excellent job in ensuring that the work provided is meticulous. Matthew has consistently delivered excellent results.‘
‘Matthew is contactable 24/7 and understands the commercial aspect like no other legal rep I have met. Its this understanding that makes him outstanding in his field.
As I mentioned, the commercial aspect and his overview of what can work for our company and his ability to satisfy stakeholders is priceless. I use around six legal firms with my company, in various fields. Having Matthew Phipps and Piers over the most integral part of operation has taken away a lot of time and sleepless nights.
I feel these points clearly sets out Matthew and Piers as top of the field in licensing in the UK.
I would consider Matthew as a key member of my inner team and have worked extensively with him over the last four years.
Matthew is a high level team player and has great skills of communication.‘
Greene King Plc
Punch Taverns Plc
Yum! (KFC, Pizza Hut Delivery & Taco Bell)
SA Brain & Company
Boston Tea Party
- Appointed by St Austell Brewery and Pub Company to undertake all their contentious licensing work.
- Advised Boomtown Festival on an application for a new premises licence in Winchester, adding 11,000 persons to the capacity.
- Instructed by Europe to assist in the licensing of the hospitality suites at the MEN arena in Manchester.
The group at Laceys is led by Philip Day and is noted for licensing work related to pubs, clubs, restaurants and off-licenses, with particular specialism in licensing outdoor events and festivals. It also has experience defending applications made by the police to revoke licenses and applying to vary licenses in cumulative impact areas to increase hours of operation, capacity or opening times for outdoor events, festivals and new pubs.
Hall and Woodhouse
The National Trust
The Relaxed Pub Company (No 2)
THAT Portsmouth Company
THAT Bournemouth Company
Great Dorset Steam Fair
South of England Leisure
Brunch Club Bournemouth
Reading and District Irish Association
- Successfully obtained a new Premises Licence for the Reading and District Irish Association following the revocation of its previous certificate
- Obtained a new Premises Licence for Bar Beyond despite it being contrary to policy and in the face of over 30 objections.
- Obtained costs for Buffalo Bars against the Licensing Authority on a successful appeal against the refusal of an application to extend the bar’s licensed hours.