Licensing in South West
Headed by the contentious and non-contentious gaming expert Joanne Attwood, Burges Salmon LLP advises on contentious licensing issues in the entertainment, street trading, transport and vehicle industries as well as on the obtainment of licences for leisure venues, cafés, pubs and restaurants. The legal service of the practice involves the handling of licensing aspects of commercial agreements as well as dealing with regulatory compliance.
Other key lawyers:
Tom Gillett, Stephen Lavington
‘A highly professional staff with first class resources.’
‘Unusually, the firm combines a quality licensing and regulatory crime practice within the environment of a substantial quality commercial firm.’
‘Joanne Attwood is clever, reliable and offers outstanding client care. She is quick to respond and act on enquiries and advice. Her instructions are full, clear and comprehensive.’
‘Stephen Lavington demonstrates superb judgement in relation to difficult tactical issues in relation to alcohol, entertainment and gambling cases.’
University of Bristol
Canadian and Portland Estates
The Racecourse Association
- Advises the University of Bristol on the management of its licensed portfolio.
- Representing an energy and services company at licensing hearings.
- Advising Bristol Water Plc on regulatory compliance issues arising under the Gambling Act 2005.
- Advising Essex & Herts Air Ambulance in relation to a large society lottery.
- Completing a full licensing audit for a group of nationally prominent UK museums.
TLT assists with the acquisition of licences and provides licensing services to a wide range of clients including restaurants, hotels, visitor attractions and galleries. Practice head Matthew Phipps also advises on immediate action and force premises reviews and defends against conditions on premises licences. The practice informs clients about shifting legislative agendas that affect the obtainment of licences.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Griffin, Piers Warne
‘Very knowledgeable and astute with a clear and concise communication style.’
Yum! (KFC, Pizza Hut Delivery & Taco Bell)
SA Brain & Company
Boston Tea Party
- Advised The Coach Islington on appealing against a number of conditions attached to the premises licence.
- Assisted Flight Club Darts in applying for new premises licences, including acting for the client in pre-application consultation.
- Applying for and obtaining premises licences to facilitate the expansion of WH Smith’s portfolio within their travel locations to include a licensed convenience store element.
- Providing comprehensive licensing advice to Tracks and Records in relation to a new licensed site.
- Application for Boomtown Festival for a new premises licence to allow conversion into a 1,500 capacity theatre and immersive entertainment experience venue.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP assists with the acquisition of licences in the construction, real estate and hospitality sectors as well as in the gambling and alcohol industries. The firm also provides day-to-day licence advice and undertakes due diligence work regarding the acquisition and disposal of licensed estates in connection with investigations and prosecutions arising from unlawful and underage sales of restricted products.
Foot Anstey advises on the acquisition of licences in the mobile gaming, copyright, music and sports industries and provides licences for outdoor events and festivals. The firm also assists with a wide range of licensing aspects regarding construction and refurbishment work and has experience in dealing with venue hire for private and public gatherings, noise management and safety regulations.
Gregg Latchams LLP
Gregg Latchams LLP advises food, drinks and hospitality operators on the tracking and monitoring of licences, especially with regards to the sale of alcohol, gambling and the running of indoor and outdoor sporting and cultural events. The firm also offers training services when required by clients. The firm assists with contentious licensing matters arising from the lack of licences and other breaches of licensing regulations. Ewen Macgregor is specialised in the alcohol and gambling licensing sector.
Accor Business and Leisure Hotels
The Original Bowling Company
Ambassador Theatre Group
HJ Tenger Holdings
- Assisted Ashton Gate with applications for a new licence and variation of licence.
- Application for seven licences for Boxpark’s pop-up venture in Brent.
- Application for new licences for HJ Tenger Holdings.
- Application to enable visitors to take glass containers into the auditoria of Ambassador Theatre Group’s theatre venues.
- Day-to-day administration of licence portfolios and applications for new licences for The Original Bowling Company.
Laceys Solicitors incorporating HLF
Laceys Solicitors incorporating HLF is experienced in providing licences for music festivals and outdoor events. The firm assists with the acquisition of gambling and alcohol licences by pubs, bars and restaurants and has expertise regarding the provision of taxi and venue hire licences. The practice also advises clients on general licensing regulations and represents them in cases of breaches against licensing laws.
Philip Day; Brendan Herbert
VWV assists with the application of licensing permitting the sale of alcohol and the running of restaurants, cafés, bars and pubs. The firm also advises on private and public venue hire and is experienced in representing clients in prosecutions arising from the alleged breach of licensing regulations. Other areas of expertise include gaming and gambling laws as well as legal requirements relating to events that involve different age groups.