Burges Salmon LLP's 'pragmatic' and 'responsive' competition practice is centred around the firm's sweet spots of retail and transport, although it also handles matters for a number of utilities clients. Merger clearance is a core competency for the group, which has substantial experience handling matters before the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA). The team is also well versed in investigations and compliance matters, where it has recent experience in a major cartel investigation. Other active areas of the practice include antitrust litigation and state aid. The department is led by Chris Worrall, an expert in antitrust matters. John Houlden is the team's state aid expert and in 2020 advised the UK government on Covid vaccine procurement. Director Noel Beale is recommended for his work for utilities clients.
EU and competition in South West
Other key lawyers:
John Houlden; Noel Beale
‘Clear expertise in the team. Pragmatic guidance. Collaborative approach and responsive to client need.’
‘John Houlden has an excellent understanding of the public sector and is a safe pair of hands for sound advice. Overall, we can depend on John’s team to provide responsive and pragmatic advice.’
Co-operative Group Limited
SCISYS Group plc
Canal & River Trust
UK Atomic Energy Agency
United Kingdom Research & Innovation (UKRI)
Department of Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
Water Services Regulation Authority (OFWAT)
Waitrose and John Lewis
- Advised Co-operative Group on the merger control aspects of a number of acquisitions in the convenience retail store sector.
- Advised Loop Interiors in relation to the CMA’s Competition Act 1998 Chapter I investigation into alleged anti-competitive conduct in the design, construction and fit out services sector.
- Advised United Kingdom Research & Innovation (UKRI) and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) with regards to securing Covid-19 vaccines.
Osborne Clarke LLP's Bristol team works closely with the firm's London and international office network to handle UK and cross-border competition matters. The group is known for its merger control practice, led by Simon Neill, who also has substantial experience in investigations, compliance and behavioural issues. The 'very pragmatic and commercial' Marc Shrimpling has a highly regarded state aid and trade practice, and recently adviced Reckitt Benckiser Health on supply chain issues arising from the Covid pandemic. Senior associate Rebecca Malone specialises in competition issues concerning digital business, logistics and the retail sector.
Other key lawyers:
Marc Shrimpling; Rebecca Malone
‘Speedy responses, commercial answers, understanding of the business.’
‘Marc Shrimpling is very pragmatic and commercial in his advice. Lovely to work with too!’
‘Marc Shrimpling is super practical and always has a positive attitude. His commercial mindset and understanding of business dynamics is seamless.’
Reckitt Benckiser Health
RB UK Hygiene Home Commercial Limited
Reckitt Benckiser BV, Global Division
The Met Office
- Advising Reckitt Benckiser Health on the vital Covid-19 challenges created to its supply chain during the ongoing pandemic.
- Advising InMusic Brands on the implementation of its selective distribution system across Europe to facilitate the online and in-store sale of its premium music technology brands.
- Advising Centrica on the implementation of its local energy market project in Cornwall, assisting with ongoing compliance issues from a state aid, public procurement and wider European Regional Development Fund/European Structural and Investment Funds rules perspective.
TLT's competition team in Bristol has a strong reputation for advising on anti-trust investigations and negotiations with the CMA. The group also provides merger control and state aid advice. Miles Trower heads the group, while Bill Hull leads the commercial services practice.
Other key lawyers:
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP's 'strong' Bristol-based team provides contentious and non-contentious competition law services, with substantial experience in litigation for both claimants and defendants, and in negotiations with the CMA. The group is led by 'savvy litigator' Andrij Jurkiw, who is praised by clients for having 'a solid grasp of competition economics', with experience in investigations by competition authorities in the UK and EU.
‘Andrij Jurkiuw has longstanding experience at the sharp end of competition law and a pragmatic approach.’
‘When it came to billing, the team provided me with clear and reliable costs estimates to enable me to budget for the project. I have never had any nasty surprises with fees.’
‘Andrij Jurkiw has quickly become a close and trusted adviser to our business and team. He provides robust and clear advice. During the time I have instructed Andrij he has attended a number of internal meetings with me and gained the trust and confidence of the business at the highest level.’
‘A strong team, with clear thinking and an understanding of clients’ needs.’
‘Andrij Jurkiw is a highly accomplished competition lawyer who is very thorough and will leave no stone unturned in representing a client. He has longstanding experience of CMA investigations and procedures, and knows how to turn matters to his advantage.’
‘Andrij Jurkiw is a former City law firm partner who brings over 20 years of expertise in EU and competition law to the South West region. He is really excellent on resale price maintenance, internet bans and exclusivity, and has a solid grasp of competition economics. A savvy litigator who is familiar with Competition Appeal Tribunal procedure and strategy for competition damages claims.’
‘Andrij Jurkiw is a good communicator with clients and counsel. He is hands on and forms his own opinion on the case, which is very helpful to strength test arguments and strategy. He plans meticulously for court deadlines and client explanations.’
‘A solid competition practice.’
George Rye & Sons Limited
E.S. Pipelines Ltd
TVS Europe Distribution Limited
- Advising Michael Martin, a former director of an estate agency, on the first contested competition disqualification order (CDO) application the CMA has pursued before the English courts.
- Defending a standalone competition damages claim against George Rye & Sons in the Competition Appeal Tribunal, which has arisen from the alleged operation of a resale price restriction.
- Acted for TVS Europe Distribution in the CMA’s phase I merger review of its completed acquisition of 3G Truck & Trailer Parts Ltd.
Ashfords LLP's procurement and state aid team advises public, private and third sector clients on housing and regeneration projects, telecoms and broadband infrastructure issues, research and development, and aerospace sector matters. The group has vast experience in advising on funding structures for projects, particularly in relation to the Getting Building Fund, Local Enterprise Partnership funding and local authority funding, as well as European regional development funds. Lucy Woods leads the team from Exeter, with an increasingly active practice related to state aid, procurement and EU law instructions arising post-Brexit. Associate Ruth Yates advises public sector clients on all aspects of their contracts throughout the procurement and post-close stages. In February 2021, the group was further bolstered by the arrival of legal director Angela Watson, previously the monitoring officer for South Somerset District Council.
Other key lawyers:
Ruth Yates; Angela Watson
Council of the Isles of Scilly
Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
London Borough of Lambeth
Somerset County Council
- Advised the Council of the Isles of Scilly in relation to its application to the European Structural and Investment Fund for European regional development funding for its coastal resilience and adaptive water action plan project.
- Advising Herefordshire Council in relation to its Fastershire broadband project, including providing detailed state aid advice.
- Advised the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea on its procurement of a contractors’ framework and consultants’ framework in respect of its Housing Capital Investment Programme, which was conducted using the open procedure.
Maitland Walker LLP
Maitland Walker LLP is a competition boutique advising on all aspects of UK and EU competition law, with a specialism in competition litigation and follow-on damages claims, as well as merger control proceedings, cartel and price fixing cases. The team is led by founding partner Julian Maitland-Walker and includes increasingly active competition litigator Sheree-Ann Virgin.
Other key lawyers:
Kuehne & Nagel
British Association of European Parallel Distributors
Shearwell Data Limited
Lexon UK Limited
European Association of Euro-Pharmaceutical Companies
Addison Lee plc
Sheppard & Co
- Advising the British Association of European Parallel Distributors on pharmaceutical regulatory and competition law issues and Brexit matters.