EU and competition in South West
Burges Salmon LLP advises clients on competition issues across its key sectors, such as retail, transport, financial services and healthcare. The team has a strong track record in merger clearances, and also regularly advises on investigations and compliance issues. In addition, the firm represents clients in antitrust litigation. Chris Worrall, who is knowledgeable about all aspects of EU and UK competition law, is the head of the team. Laura Claydon regularly acts for household name clients on complex competition issues.
Other key lawyers:
Laura Claydon; Becky Ellis
‘Chris Worrall is professional, friendly, calm with a balanced, helpful and pragmatic attitude‘
‘Cohesive team and communication between them is excellent. The advice is pragmatic and commercial‘
‘Chris is calm, authoritative, open to challenges and has great insight into how the regulator thinks‘
‘Becky Ellis is smart, responsive and willing to give her perspective‘
‘Laura Claydon has significant competition law expertise‘
Co-operative Group Limited
Water Services Regulation Authority (Ofwat)
Canal & River Trust
Cardiff City Transport Services
Transport for Wales
- Successfully advised the client on its acquisition of Nisa Retail Limited, obtaining Phase I merger control clearance from the CMA.
- Represented the clients in a substantial claim against the CMA in respect of an investigation into potential infringements in the retail pricing of tobacco products.
- Acted for the client in relation to the merger control and procurement aspects of the award of the Wales and Borders rail franchise, valued at ca. £5bn.
- Continue to advise the client on its 2019 Price Review methodology and provide additional legal advice concerning elements of this programme.
- Represented the client in relation to the CMA’s investigation into airport parking at Heathrow.
Maitland Walker LLP
Maitland Walker LLP's practice covers all aspects of EU and UK competition law, including antitrust litigation, merger control, cartel and price-fixing agreements. The team also provides general advice on distribution, IP, state aid and public procurement. Seasoned practitioner Julian Maitland-Walker advises clients on the gamut of competition issues.
British Association of European Parallel Distributors (BAEPD)
Lexon UK Limited
European Association of Euro-Pharmaceutical Companies
- Advising BAEPD on pharmaceutical regulatory and competition law issues
- Advised a client on a proposed merger under EU merger rules; preparing merger filing and obtaining clearance.
- Advising a client on application of competition rules to termination of Europe-wide distributor contract.
- Advised a client on the application of competition law to internet selling restrictions in a European distribution network.
Osborne Clarke has a comprehensive practice, which covers numerous industries, such as technology, digital business, retail and financial services. Recent examples of work handled by the firm include advice on merger control, distribution and sales channels, state aid and behavioural issues. With the firm having a network of overseas offices, it is well-placed to advice on cross-border matters. Marc Shrimpling is highly regarded for his expertise in competition and state aid issues.
Maple Syrup Group
- Supported Computershare on the merger control and wider competition law compliance aspects of its successful acquisition of Equatex.
- Advising Dyson on competition law issues related to the growth of their EU-wide business.
- Advised ZapGo on state aid issues related to its efforts to obtain UK government grant financing.
- Acted for VADO on the design and implementation of its new online sales strategy, ensuring conformation to competition law.
TLT has a strong track record advising clients on competition law issues with a nexus to sectors such as energy and renewables, TMT, retail and consumer goods, among others. The wide-ranging scope of its work includes defending companies implicated in competition investigations, compliance training, dawn-raid advice and negotiating merger clearances. In addition, the team regularly advises on state aid and public procurement; recent work involved assisting several private service providers with state aid issues concerning public funding from European bodies. Miles Trower is particularly knowledgeable about the financial services space, and has a strong track record representing clients in market and cartel investigations.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is accessible, responsive and focused on helping‘
‘I have always found Miles extremely knowledgeable, responsive and client-focused. He delivers advice in a user/business-friendly manner and with a high degree of commercial pragmatism‘
‘Miles has been extremely helpful in clarifying the competition issues that were of most relevance to us and giving us clear advice on next steps‘
‘We found Miles to be knowledgeable and clear with his advice, he always seems to be available and understands the needs of the client‘
BGL Group Limited (Comparethemarket.com)
Imperial Brands PLC
The Retail Motor Industry Federation Limited / National Franchised Dealers Association
Mineral Products Association
Energy Saving Trust Ltd
Merlin Entertainments plc
The Mayor’s Office of Policing and Crime (MOPAC)
West Coast Properties
- Representing BGL Group Limited / Comparethemarket.com in connection with ongoing CMA investigations into suspected regulation breaches.
- Assisting Imperial Brands Plc in updating group-wide competition law compliance policy and delivering dawn-raid training.
- Advising BGL Group Limited / Comparethemarket.com on ongoing data gathering and reporting obligations to the CMA.
- Advising National Franchised Dealers Association (NFDA) on competition law matters, including collective industry projects and the exchange of sensitive information.
Ashfords LLP has built up a strong reputation in the field of state aid, acting for a diverse range of clients across the public, private and third sectors. It has a particularly strong client following local authorities. Elizabeth Gibson in Exeter heads up the practice, which handles funded projects, contractual and governance matters, and regulatory issues. The team is also active in the public procurement sphere, with its work including the drafting of procurement risk reports, advice notes and funding agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Gloucestershire County Council and Herefordshire Council
Somerset County Council
Council of the Isles of Scilly
London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham
Exeter City Council
HFL group of companies limited
London Borough of Lambeth
Wandsworth Borough Council
London Borough of Newham
London Borough of Hackney
- Advising Gloucestershire County Council and Herefordshire Council on the ‘Fastershire’ project using funding from both the central government’s Broadband Delivery UK programme and match funding from the councils.
- Advised Somerset County Council on its application for European Regional Development Fund funding towards its inward investment scheme, set to deliver investment for non-EU small and medium enterprises in Devon and Somerset.
- Acting for Council of the Isles of Scilly on its electric vehicle project to secure grant funding for an ICT platform to manage the fleet, including a solar energy interface.
- Providing advice to London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham on its tendering process for the design and construction of an innovative new arts and community centre.
- Acting for Exeter City Council on its procurement of a new state of the art leisure complex.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP's competition practice is led by Andrij Jurkiw, who was recently hired from Mishcon de Reya LLP. The team advises clients on both contentious and non-contentious matters, with a primary focus on the transport, retail, financial services, energy and chemicals sectors. Its areas of expertise include competition investigations, merger clearances, procurement challenges and state aid issues.
Sky UK Limited
- Representing an individual facing a Competition Disqualification Order.
- Advised Govia on merger control issues associated with its bid for the South Eastern Passenger Rail Franchise.
- Provided advice in relation to competition damages claims arising from the Trucks cartel and tactics for seeking to achieve an early negotiated settlement.
- Advised Network Rail on a number of proposed restrictions contained in land agreements and their compatibility with UK Competition Law.