Media and entertainment in South East
The team at Cripps Pemberton Greenish is a prominent force in the advertising and marketing sectors, advising high-profile sector clients on corporate and commercial matters. The firm also acts on the other side of the table, advising companies in their dealings with media agencies and PR consultancies. Commercial specialist Pete Kenyon heads the team along with Nigel Stanford, a corporate law expert with significant in-house experience in the advertising sector. IP and IT specialist Brian Miller joined the practice from Stone King LLP in October 2018.
Pete Kenyon; Nigel Stanford
Local Planet International Limited
Keesing Media Group BV
DAC Group Europe Limited
We Are Social
Hermes CMK General Partner Limited
Ptarmigan Media Limited
Chase & Co Advertising
- Advise Local Planet International, in particular on the reorganisation of its share ownership structure and joint venture arrangements in 20 global markets.
- Advising Keesing Media in relation to the ownership of its shares in Eye to Eye Puzzles Ltd.
- Advised Influencer Limited on an issue of shares to YouTube personality Caspar Lee and have since acted on Influencer’s behalf in connection with a number of fundraising rounds and commercial documentation
- Advised the owners of shopping centre, centre:mk, on contract terms with their PR/media consultancy for the management of digital presence and other off-line issues.
- Advised We Are Social on a number of issues including the ongoing negotiation with a key customer
Irwin Mitchell acts for a wide range of clients across the media sector, specialising primarily in commercial contracts work, including branding and sponsorship deals, as well as the sale of media rights. The firm's client list includes large media estates and digital agencies, alongside a substantial base of private, high-profile individuals. Stuart Padgham heads the team, which includes senior associate and fellow commercial contracts specialist Aurelia Butler-Ball, and senior associate Thomas Barnard, who focuses on commercial litigation in the media sphere.
‘The firm treats small customers like big ones‘
‘They really know their stuff‘
‘The Irwin Mitchell trademark team is outstanding and dedicated to providing a very high level of advice in a cost and time-effective manner.‘
Rose and Rosie
Conan Doyle Estate Limited
The Sports Sphere
UK divers who rescued Thai boys from cave
- Represented the seven UK divers who saved a youth football team and their coach from a flooded cave in Thailand in a major film deal with US financier.
- Represented six of the UK divers who saved a youth football team and their coach from a flooded cave in Thailand in a TV rights deal.
- Advise the Conan Doyle Estate on their exploitation of the Arthur Conan Doyle/Sherlock Holmes ‘Seal of Approval’ in various rights deals.
- Advised media company Charnley Communications, which works with numerous high-profile influencers such as Joe Sugg and Casper Lee on their commercial contracts.
- Represented major label grime artist Lady Leshurr in a number of high value brand deals including Footlocker and Skoda.
Focusing primarily on publishing sector clients, Maier Blackburn LLP is experienced in both contentious and non-contentious media work. 'Consummate professional' Cathleen Blackburn heads up the contentious side of the practice, and is particularly experienced in commercial contract and IP issues faced by publishing sector clients. Contentious specialist Steven Maier is active in both IP and commercial litigation.
Steven Maier; Cathleen Blackburn
‘The quick personable approach by the practice is very much appreciated. Often complex legal issues are explained in straight forward layman’s terms.’
‘Cathleen Blackburn is responsive to requests, delivers timely legal advice and is calm and personable.‘
‘Cathleen Blackburn is able to put things in real terms rather than legal jargon‘
The Tolkien Estate
Agatha Christie Limited
Oxford University Press
The Cochrane Collaboration
The Association of Learned Professional and Society Publishers
Watership Down Enterprises Limited
- Representing the Tolkien Estate in a claim against an Australian author who had published so-called fan-fiction books in breach of the Estate’s copyrights.
- Representing a well-known US skin-care company in a claim for recovery of an internet domain name from a UK beauty salon.
- Representing TV writer and photographer Dan Maier in a successful claim against Private Eye for the unauthorised use of one of his photographs on the magazine’s front cover.
- Advising a well-established Art collector on contract and copyright issues relating to loans of photographs of famous subjects to an exhibition at the Barbican in London.
- Advising The Tolkien Estate in a claim against a professional photographer offering unauthorised copies of J R R Tolkien’s iconic illustrations.
Moore Law focuses heavily on the digital, media, and sport sectors, handling commercial and IP issues for clients operating in those spaces. A key aspect of the practice is work with new media clients, advising social media influencers, e-sports and YouTube personalities on commercial contracts, merchandising, and IP issues. Founding partner Tris Moore works with several media agencies, while head of digital Scott Appleton is a key contact for new media clients. Consultant solicitor Mike Townley arrived from an in-house position in 2018, and is notable for his work with sports sector clients on broadcasting rights.
Callum Airey (Calfreezy)
The Zeitgeist Agency
We Are Tilt
The Family Fizz / Optimum Media / Purpose & Passion
Live The Adventure
British Triathlon Federation
Fat Tape Productions
- Retained as commercial and IP advisers to Family Fizz.
- Advised British Triathlon on the licensing of broadcasting rights for the World Triathlon Series event held in Leeds to the BBC, and the production of the event footage with sports production company Sunset + Vine.
- Advice to Tilt on Commercial Agreements and Intellectual Property Issues.
- Advised Live The Adventure on data protection and contractual issues.
- Drafting influencer contracts, as well as advising on data protection and commercial agreements for the Zeitgeist Agency
Stevens & Bolton LLP provides a full service to media sector clients, with strong offerings in both contentious and non-contentious work. The firm is notable for its work with publishing sector clients on IP matters, including litigation and advice on the licensing of IP rights. Tom Lingard heads the practice, and is a key contact for media-related litigation as a solicitor-advocate.
- Advising in relation to a key publishing agreement.
- Acting for client in trade mark dispute.
- Instructed to file a UDRP Domain Name complaint following fraudulent use of a confusing similar domain, and succeeded in getting the infringing domain name transferred to the client.
- Advising client in relation to its new gaming sector group experience start-up concept.
- Acting for a UK theatre in relation to a copyright infringement dispute concerning the UK tour of To Kill a Mockingbird.
Boyes Turner has a strong presence in the advertising and adtech sector, with particular emphasis on media monitoring and data harvesting. Another key sector for the firm is publishing, where it advises clients on commercial and intellectual property matters, including advertising , publishing, and distribution agreements. IP and cross-border work specialist Mark Blunden heads the team, and is notable for his media licensing expertise. Sarah Williamson departed the firm for Ashfords LLP in November 2018.
Auto Trader Plc
Guardian News & Media Limited
Signal Media Ltd
Workbooks Online Limited
MSP Gather Limited
Chartered Institute of Journalists
- Advising Auto Trader on a large number of agreements dealing with the buying and selling of ad inventory and agreements for analytics to help the optimisation of media inventory.
- Drafting agreements for the printing and distribution of the Guardian Weekly in New Zealand and Australia, including data protection advice.
- Supported Censhare in complex negotiations concerning a major publishing software implementation with budget airline Jet2.com.
- Providing outsourced general counsel services to Brandview and advising on matters in the UK, USA, France, China and Australia.
- Advising Auto Trader on a media buying agreement and an agreement for the appointment of an agency to provide creative services to Auto Trader
Blake Morgan LLP is most notable for its work on reputation management matters, often acting for clients in defamation cases. The firm also has key sector expertise in both the arts - advising on a range of disputes - and publishing, where it advises on ethics, libel, and defamation. Jill Bainbridge heads the team, while senior associate Ben Evans is particularly adept in reputation management work concerning the internet and social media.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very pragmatic in terms of delivery of legal services‘
‘They provide cost effective services without compromising quality‘
‘They are very friendly, professional and responsive’
Kerry Group PLC
Be Wiser Insurance Services Limited
Transport for Wales
Sutton and East Surrey Water
- Advising start-up publisher Salad Pages on branding
- Acting for defendant Ace Hosting in high-profile streaming case, securing a settlement favourable to the client.
- Advising leading insurer Be Wiser Insurance Services in relation to a range of brand and reputation management issues.
With particular experience in reputation and privacy management, as well as IP, Howes Percival LLP's media team acts for both private clients and media-sector companies. The team primarily acts on contentious matters, including High Court and injunctive relief proceedings, with a particular focus on trade marks, copyright and passing-off on the IP side. James Howarth is the key figure within the firm's Milton Keynes office, and has substantial experience handling work for publishing sector clients. In non-contentious IP work, associate Jenna Bruce is a name to note given her in-house experience in the media industry.
‘Howes Percival is a well-rounded practice with expertise in this field’
‘James Howarth and his assistant Victoria Howe are a formidable team.’
Quarto Group plc
Goldstein Music Publishing
Sounds Like Publishing Limited
DOLCE Music Limited
- Advising this leading Christian trade publisher on various publishing matters, both contentious and non-contentious.
- Representing this household name in High Court action for copyright infringement.
- Advising this leading non-fiction trade publisher on various matters.
- Representing lottery winner in privacy proceedings against publisher and counter claim in libel.
- Representing this client in proceedings concerning passing off, trade mark infringement and breach of undertakings.