IT and telecoms in South East
Boyes Turner is a key firm in the Thames Valley market, advising a range of clients from across the technology sectors. The team has a particularly strong track record with clients operating in the data, automotive, fintech, and Adtech industries, and is particularly strong on contract negotiations. Mark Blunden heads the practice, and focuses on the commercialisation of clients' technologies, while licensing agreements expert Bill Gornall-King is another key name at the practice. Sarah Williamson departed the firm for Ashfords LLP in October 2018.
Other key lawyers:
Auto Trader Plc
Romax Technology Ltd
Information Resources Inc
Mortgage Gym Ltd
Kyocera Document Solutions (UK)
Guardian News & Media
- Advising VirtualStock in connection with a new procurement platform for the NHS.
- Advising Autotrader on complex ad tech arrangements to make advertising space available to collaborative automated agencies.
- Advised Mortgage Gym on the development and launch of the first regulated mortgage robo-adviser platform.
- Supporting Information Resources UK’s in-house negotiation of a contract with a company for a new data insights product.
- Advised the shareholders of BrandView Limited on the sale of Brandview to Ascential for £38m.
BDB Pitmans's team is headed by Philip Smith who is especially experienced in handling TMT-related disputes. It is also notable for its skills in relation to licensing, outsourcing and counts established tech companies and start ups among its clients. Tim Clark has broad expertise in the IT sector acting for software vendors, distributors and systems integrators and has of late, advised on a number of security breaches. Partner Philip Weaver and associate Marie Evrard focus on the corporate/commercial side, advising on areas such as outsourcing, licensing transactions, channel partner agreements and distribution agreements.
‘They have strength in depth, commerciality and responsiveness.’
‘We had an excellent experience – they have a practical approach.’
KAI Computer Services Ltd
Sky plc (and numerous subsidiaries and group companies)
Sondrel Ltd (and group)
Toshiba TEC UK Imaging Systems Limited
Humax Electronics Co. Ltd
Noble Systems UK Ltd
Gamma Telecom plc (and group)
Kymaner – Technologias Energeticas Ida
- Acting for KAI Computer Services, a financial and production management software specialist. Work has included a software licence and maintenance agreement with All3 Media Limited; a precedent licence for KAI’s Octopus PMI software and other software licences and maintenance agreements.
- Acting for Sky in defence of a claim brought by TelNG Limited and (by way of Part 20 Claim against Sky) BT plc. The matter concerns Sky’s withholding of wholesale call charges relating to numbers operated by TelNG which Sky asserts constitute Artificially Inflated Traffic. (AIT).
- Advised Sol-Tec Limited, a cloud services company, on two disputes. One related to the termination of a managed services agreement and the second was in respect of an email migration project for a local authority.
- Acted for the shareholders of Vipera plc on its takeover by Sella Open Fintech Platform SPA. A matter valued at £24.3m.
DMH Stallard LLP provides both contentious and non-contentious services to its IT sector clients in addition to non-industry clients encountering IT issues. Key specialist areas of work include the negotiation of IT contracts, including SaaS and software development work, large-scale IT procurements, data protection, and outsourcing matters. Tim Ashdown and John Yates head the practice, specialising in disputes and commercial matters respectively. Debbie Venn is a recent arrival to the practice from asb law LLP.
Tim Ashdown; John Yates
Other key lawyers:
‘Gives a nice small firm feel to a large and fully integrated practice.‘
‘The team is fully engaged and understanding of our business and associated business pressures.‘
‘Debbie Venn has a brilliant understanding of what we do and how we operate as a company.‘
‘They are extremely accessible and proactive.‘
‘Debbie Venn is bright, responsive and commercial in her outlook.‘
‘Debbie Venn is also the consummate diplomat in difficult negotiations and someone we have no hesitation in putting in front of difficult customers, suppliers or partner organisations.‘
Change, Grow, Live
Hadean Super Computing
- Advising Hadean Supercomputing on the use of a new platform as a service and licence terms for software products.
- Secured the continued provision of the former Lifeline Project IT services, following the client’s acquisition of Lifeline project assets.
- Providing advice to Ampito Group across many service lines, including complex GDPR issues relating to the client’s DDOS solutions across multiple jurisdictions.
- Advising Macro 4 on a variety of matters including contract negotiations and data protection.
- Advising 15below on a variety of matters including SaaS agreements and data protection issues.
Data protection and IT transactions specialist Joanne Vengadesan heads the team at Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP, which is known for its work with the firm's corporate team on technology transactions in combination with its abilities on IT contracts and its cross-border capabilities. The highly regarded Vengadesan has a 'solid background in technology matters' and technology transfer specialist Nicola McConville is another key figure within the team.
Other key lawyers:
Will Axtell; Nicola McConville; Oliver Kidd
‘The lawyers at Penningtons Manches are responsive, committed and very well focused.‘
‘I appreciate that the partners are personally available and directly handle the paperwork.‘
‘Joanne Vengadesan has a solid background in technology matters. She is smart and always responsive when needed, so teaming with her is always a pleasant experience.‘
Conidia Bioscience Limited
- Provided international contract and documentation advice to a provider of innovative software maintenance solutions.
- Acting for BluepointLondon during major negotiations relating to public vehicle charging points.
- Advised Royal Selangor on a consumer-facing website, including distance selling rules for e-commerce and other website requirements, terms, and conditions.
- Primary legal advisor to Bluecity, including a landmark transaction with Gatwick Airport.
Shoosmiths LLP has a well-established track record in the IT market, particularly for its outsourcing and procurement expertise. The team has a strong sector focus in the automotive industry, acting for a wide range of well-known car manufacturers on procurement, outsourcing, and online retail issues. Robin Webb is the key contact for automotive sector clients, while commercial contracts specialist Sebastian Price is another prominent figure within the team. Senior associate Andy Pratley is also recommended by clients.
Sebastian Price; Robin Webb
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are exceptional at all levels.’
‘They are personable and their knowledge of the industry is phenomenal.’
‘They are quick to respond to queries, turn agreements around swiftly and provide practical and sensible advice.’
‘The team identify the key risks in contracts and are able to articulate them to key stakeholders within the business.’
‘Robin Webb and Andy Pratley are always calm in a crisis, they grasp issues extremely quickly and their response times are second to none.’
‘Andy came on secondment to us for 4 months and he fitted in quickly with the team the businesses enjoy working with him.’
Transport Systems Catapult
Volkswagen Group UK Limited
Honda Motor Europe
Close Brothers PLC
- Advising Transport Systems Catapult on a multi-car collision avoidance pilot system, involving advice on the deployment of sensor systems for autonomous vehicles.
- Advised One Stop on the business critical procurement of a new point of sale system for its UK stores.
- Advised Dacia UK on its move towards selling vehicles online.
- Advised Volkswagen Group on several procurements including hosting services, digital marketing solutions, and customer experience management software, from a variety of sources.
- Advised Nissan Japan on the purchase of a parts lookup software solution to be used by its global dealer network.
Stevens & Bolton LLP is home to one of the region's largest IT teams that serves clients from a wide range of sectors. The firm maintains strong links with the University of Surrey's technology incubator, giving it a notable presence in the start-up and emerging technologies sector. Beverley Whittaker heads the team and has significant expertise in IT contracts, while managing associate Charles Maurice is also a key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
The Capital Markets Company Limited
Zest Technology Limited
BMT Group Limited
Fortem Solutions Limited
Willmott Dixon Holdings Limited
Belron International Limited
Diebold Nixdorf Limited
Thursdays (UK) Limited, trading as TGI Fridays
- Advised in connection with its multi-jurisdictional ‘hardware as a service’ deal with HP.
- Advise SecurMed on its involvement with the establishment of a medicines verification IT system for the prescription and supply of medicines in the UK.
- Advised Fortem Solutions in connection with a major IT procurement project, comprising the acquisition of several business critical services from a single provider.
- Advising Belron International in connection with the procurement of various business-critical systems and applications, as well as ad-hoc innovation projects.
- Advised an IT business on the large scale overseas outsourcing of the client’s UK-based software development function.
White & Black Limited
White & Black Limited has particular experience in the areas of outsourcing and other commercial contracts, including cross-border agreements. It also has expertise in big data and data licensing initiatives, as well as its advice to global clients on compliance with UK and EU technology and telecoms regulations. Practice co-head Phil Thompson is a key team member, with a track record in licensing work and fellow co-head and non -contentious specialist Matt Johnston is another name to note.
Phil Thompson; Matt Johnston
‘Matt Johnston he is a delight to work with, responds really swiftly, has a very approachable style and is undoubtedly a real expert in his field.‘
‘Matt Johnston is our go-to guy on IT/tech matters. He is very knowledgeable, commercially minded and pragmatic.‘
‘Phil Thompson has an excellent understanding of the key elements in a regulatory analysis.’
‘The team is very commercially minded and pragmatic.‘
‘They are very responsive and highly professional, with expert knowledge in the field.’
‘Matt Johnston is always open, honest and considered in his advice.‘
Concha Y Toro
Mitchells & Butlers
Electricity North West
Universal Music Group International
- Advised Mitchells & Butlers Leisure Retail on a long-term second-generation outsourcing arrangement.
- Leading work for A-Plan in relation to its group-wide process automation project.
- Handling Electricity North West’s procurement process for several outsourced IT and telecoms services.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP is notable for its expertise with clients in the financial services industries, acting on technology licensing and fintech-related matters. The firm handles commercial and contentious work including large IT-related litigation as well as outsourcing and procurement work.
‘Superb attention to detail and approachability.’
Historic England/English Heritage
Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society
Quilter plc (formerly Old Mutual Wealth)
Kingfisher plc/Kingfisher Information Technology Services (UK) Ltd
G Forces Web Management Limited
Ministry of Justice
Intrinsic Financial Services Limited
Vizion Network Limited
- Advised Quilter on a number of transitional service agreements to enable phased migration of IT services and infrastructure, following the separation of the group company into four separate parts.
- Advising Scottish Power on a series of agreements relating to the development and implementation of IT systems supporting its smart metering programme.
- Advising LV= on the re-platforming of an equity release business from an on-premises system to a cloud-based one.
- Advised Intrinsic Financial Services on a major IT services outsourcing contract relating to a business-critical SaaS platform.
- Negotiating bespoke terms with SAP for delivery of cloud-based software services, on behalf of Kingfisher Information Technology Services.
Birketts LLP's practice has established expertise acting for software providers in addition technology companies and assists on areas including system integrations, web hosting and IT procurements and licensing matters. The team acts for clients in the public, private and charity sectors and also supports the corporate practice, handling the IT aspects of M&A instructions. Software and product licensing specialist Nigel Thompson leads the group and is supported by senior associate, Andrea Curtis whose recent work includes IT contract negotiations.
Other key lawyers:
Commcise Software Limited
Kalibrate Technologies Limited
New Link Consulting Limited
VST Global Limited
Dochosting Data Management Ltd
- Representing Commcise Software in negotiations to provide cloud-based commission management and share of wallet software solutions to both buy-side and sell-side investment managers and brokers.
- Provides ongoing assistance to Dochosting Data Management in connection with its various contractual negotiations.
- Advised New Link Consulting on its contracts with financial institutions including the provision of its services on a software as a service basis.
- Following the overhaul of the client’s suite of customer contracts, the firm continues to assist Kalibrate Technology Group with the negotiation of its contractual arrangements with its key customers.
- Provide assistance to in-house counsel of Blanco Technology Group on an as required basis.
Blake Morgan LLP is notable for its work with new and growing technology businesses on issues relating to domestic and international expansion, set-up and initial contracts, and brand clearance and protection. The firm also has a significant IT litigation capability, with team leader Susan Dryden having considerable experience in IT contract disputes. On the non-contentious side Alison Patten-Hall is a key name, specialising in outsourcing and procurement issues, acting for both providers and customers and Elisabeth Bell handles a range of IT projects and data protection matters from a commercial point of view. Former practice head Sheilah Mackie departed the firm for an in-house position.
Neural Technologies Limited
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Limited
HP Risk Management Limited
IBM United Kingdom Ltd
Gresham Technologies plc
Taylor Made Computer Solutions
Flight Data Services Ltd
HTEC Ltd / Universe Group plc
- Assisting Oxford Academic Health Science Network with the issues around development of a website portal.
- Providing Artemis IT Solutions with a range of services to support the growing software development business.
- Assisted the shareholders of a technology company with the company sale and merger.
- Advised Gresham Technologies on a Luxembourg share acquisition for this AIM listed client.
- Supporting GKBK on various IT projects related to its development of its IT capability as a new organisation in the set-up phase.
Clyde & Co LLP acts for a wide range of clients on technology matters and is distinguished by its sector specialisms in security, logistics, energy, and insurance, with particular emphasis on the latter. The firm has a focus on software procurement, including SaaS and cloud issues. Mark Williamson heads the practice and is noted for his e-commerce, IT, and data protection expertise.
Coffin Mew LLP undertakes the full spectrum of IT matters for corporate, public and overseas clients. The firm has a strong cross-border practice, acting for clients on investments and projects from and into foreign jurisdictions. It also acts for challenger brands and those seeking to disrupt established markets. Mark O’Halloran heads the practice and handles work including outsourcing, e-commerce solutions, data sharing and licensing matters. Senior associate Rebecca West leads on GDPR advice in addition to assisting clients on issues associated with new software development and implementation.
Other key lawyers:
Tokyo Electron Europe Limited
Aspects Beauty Company Limited
TRL Limited (Transport Research Laboratory)
MWR InfoSecurity Limited
World of Books
CASCO Europe Limited
Just Develop IT Ltd
Mind Tools Limited
Cripps Pemberton Greenish has key sector experience in the fintech and adtech spheres, representing a wide range of clients from those areas. Pete Kenyon heads the team, and is prominent in matters concerning the development and commercialisation of software and online businesses. Another key name at the practice is Irfan Baluch, a former software developer who developed the firm's GDPR compliance framework, while SaaS expert Kathryn Rogers is also highly recommended.
‘Cripps is a forward thinking team that really puts itself at the heart of its clients businesses, and therefore can tailor its advice and recommendations accordingly.’
‘Pete Kenyon is great at talking to our customers and getting them to see our viewpoint.‘
‘Irfan Baluch helps clients navigate complex issues in a logical and efficient way.‘
Accor Hotel Services UK Limited
Park IT / MAG
- Advised Conduit Connect on the issues relating to the launch of an online investment platform.
- Assisted Apex Networks with the drafting of two agreements for the provision of its SaaS offering for roadside assistance job management.
- Advised Berry Gardens on various agreements with a third party supplier to support the use of novel equipment in the clients packing line.
- Advising Holiday Extras in relation to contracts with agents for the provision of white-labelled websites and API feeds to facilitate online bookings, as well as assisting the client’s in-house team with the procurement of IT services to enhance its website and back end technology.
- Advised Optomany in relation to the negotiation of high value contracts with banks acquiring the client’s software.
Irwin Mitchell provides clients with a range of commercial IT advice, and is particularly adept at handling business-critical procurements in highly regulated industries. Stuart Padgham heads the practice, and has a strong track record in the areas of high-value IT contracts. In addition to Padgham, the team is made up of individuals with substantial technical experience, including former IT professional Dan Hedley and software developer Chris Bridges.
‘The team we are working with has shown very profound knowledge with regard to software license agreements and all kinds of IT contracts.‘
‘They go the extra mile to ensure matters are completed on time and to budget.‘
‘The team that I have worked with have excellent knowledge and ask the right and difficult questions to the internal team and to the lawyers on the other side.‘
‘Dan Hedley has a wealth of knowledge and has excellent experience with the IT contracts that we are dealing with.’
‘Dan Hedley is a fantastic lawyer, who understands the needs of the business.‘
‘They have shown an outstanding ability to manage complex customer, partner and supplier relationships, a strong business acumen and therefore good capability to stay pragmatic on legal matters while keeping an eye on what the business actually needs.‘
‘Stuart Padgham is excellent and always provides thoughtful and considered advice.‘
‘Chris Bridges has provided excellent support to our data protection team throughout the year.’
- Advised a major online and offline publisher on its agreements with various ad tech vendors.
- Advised a global engineering consultancy on its software/tech IP strategy.
- Advised a global law firm on tech matters concerning its various household name clients.
- Advised a fintech startup on the procurement of its core technology platform.
- Advised a software company in the mainframe migration space on deals with various financial institutions and multinational corporates.
Moorcrofts LLP has strong expertise in the field of data analytics, cloud computing and SaaS work. The practice provides commercial contracts advice to technology-sector companies, including software licensing services. Managing partner Andrew Katz leads the group and is distinguished by his work on free and open-source software issues and Tim Astley is another key partner who handles a range of technology transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Moorcrofts team is very commercially aware and able to advise on best practice in the implementation of software agreements.‘
‘They are able to balance the need for appropriate protections with the realities of the commercial world.’
‘They are an excellent mix of high profile partners and knowledgeable associates.’
Apigee (subsidiary of Google)
Pentaho Corporation (subsidiary of Hitachi DataSystems)
Benevolent Al Limited
A business specialising in commodity data licensing and analysis
Pentangle Internet Limited
Major UK Broadcaster
One of the world’s largest automotive companies
Spin out of a major Japanese technology company providing solutions into the power distribution sector
Backed internet-of-things hardware manufacturer
Moore Blatch LLP provides a wide range of commercial IT services, and is noted for its particular expertise in data analytics, often advising clients in relation to new and emerging technologies in the sector. The practice also advises on data protection, outsourcing and framework and re-seller agreements for technology providers. Dorothy Agnew has a broad commercial IT practice, while practice head John Warchus is the president of pan-European technology law network, the IP and IT Law Group.
Other key lawyers:
Dorothy Agnew; Sarah Crookall; Jasnoop Cheema
‘Moore Blatch’s team has great response time and their reply is always straight forward with deep inside knowledge’.
‘John Warchus is our primary contact. He is easy to reach, always competent and a great team leader – in brief: A TMT legal rockstar!’.
Bytes Technology Group UK
Core Technology Systems (UK)
Best Invest (Brokers) and Tilney Bestinvest Group
Intellectual Property Online / Web TMS
Kyocera SGS Precision Tools Europe
NAK Consulting Services
Datamatics Business Solutions
Box-It Data Management
- For Bytes Technology Group, updating customer agreements drafted in previous years to reflect changes introduced by the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018, as well as advising on using a sub-processor based in India to process customers’ personal data, drafting data processor agreement sbased on the EC’s standard contractual clauses.
- Ongoing advice to Core Technology Systems in relation to master services agreement and framework agreements.
- Reviewed and amended Kyocera SGS Precision Tools’ new privacy notice and data protection policies initially drafted internally.
- Drafting a master services agreement and service schedules for the provision of the client’s services.
- Drafted a reseller agreement for the resale of the Omnidox record management software application and platform.
Osborne Clarke's IT team acts for a wide range of clients, including telecoms operators and technology companies, but is particularly notable for its work with digital businesses. The national team collaborates with the firm's international offices, particularly in silicon valley. Key team members situated in Reading include disputes specialist Peter Sheppard and corporate expert Sara Valentine. Russell Bowyer departed the firm in October 2018.
Dentons' Thames Valley team focuses on non-contentious IT advice, for clients both within the software industry, and those outside seeking IT advice. The team has particular experience with retail sector clients, bolstered further by the addition of senior associate Nick Harrison, who rejoined from an in-house position to head the team. The team also has a strong record of procurement, contract, and outsourcing advice in the automotive, Oil and Gas, and media spheres.
TOTAL (Total Lindsey Oil Refinery Limited)
The Sainsbury’s Group
The John Lewis Partnership
Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales
Sita Information Networking Computing UK Limited
United Bank of Egypt
Polyco Healthline Limited
- Represented United Bank of Egypt in its acquisition of a new banking trading platform.
- Representing SITA with regard to its airport telecommunications and technology contracts.
- Assisting TOTAL with all IT and business-to-business contracts and issues.
- Provision of advice to Mavens on all IT contracts, IT and commercial issues, data protection and other commercial contract matters.
- Drafting a new set of template supply agreements for TOTAL Computer Networks Limited and advising on a host of contracts for the supply of both hardware and software with major customers and clients.
EMW Law LLP
Advising clients on the full range of IT contracts and agreements, EMW Law LLP's regional team operates primarily out of Milton Keynes. The firm also offers a substantial data protection practice, advising clients on compliance with the GDPR as well as other data issues. Matthew Holman heads the team and is known for his work with emerging technologies, in addition to his data protection and IT contract expertise.
‘There is no stuffy jargon used, the team just get the job done with clear simple to follow advice.‘
‘The team are good at sticking to deadlines and, despite being fairly junior, punch well above their weight.‘
‘We have experienced a far better service and standard from EMW than we have from a number of larger city practices.‘
‘Matthew Holman is very knowledgeable, and has a genuine passion and interest in tech law and that comes across when speaking to him.‘
‘Matthew puts a lot of work in behind the scenes and this makes him our go to lawyer for all things tech related.’
Santander UK plc
Suzuki GB plc
Charles Tyrwhitt Shirts Ltd
Atheon Analytics Ltd
BFS Group Ltd t/a Bidfood
MHA MacIntyre Hudson LLP
Inter MK Ltd (MK Dons)
Banking Standards Board
- GDPR compliance audit for Inter MK.
- Provide ongoing support and advice to Suzuki in relation to IT contracts, data protection matters and GDPR-compliance.
- Assisted Data Solver to put in place its standard terms and conditions for customers and partners, and drafted a ‘waterfall’ set of terms and conditions that could be used to licence its software to end users.
- Assisted CentreSoft on its launch of a new website, PS Gear, with partner Sony.
Paris Smith LLP is prominent in the regional SME and start-up market, advising a wide range of such clients on IT matters. Practice co-head Laura Trapnell is an adviser to the University of Southampton Science Park's Catalyst Programme, a factor that maintains the firm's base of start-up clients. The practice is most known for its outsourcing, procurement, and cloud computing work. Fellow co-head Crispin Dick handles software development and licensing as well as technology transfers and outsourcing.
Crispin Dick; Laura Trapnell
Datwyler Cabling Solutions AG
British Friendly Society Ltd
The Ancient Order of Foresters Friendly Society Ltd
Beyond Encryption Ltd
Gobel & Partners
Local First Community Interest Ltd
Millbrook Healthcare Ltd
Cobalt Telephone Technologies Ltd
University of Southampton Science Park Ltd
Pyxus International, Inc
The Entertainment Retailers’ Association
Visitor Chat Ltd
Mercury 1 Ltd
Field Seymour Parkes LLP's expertise encompasses software development, resale deals, licensing, and cloud computing. Catherine Ripley heads the practice, focusing on commercial contract advice for clients at all levels of the market. The firm also offers a substantial data protection practice, and developed a GDPR audit service for clients alongside an external IT company, and continues to act for clients following implementation of the GDPR.
OLM Systems Limited
PragmaticDLT Inc (Canada/Ukraine)
At Warners Solicitors, the IT team predominantly acts for software developer clients on commercial matters, with a particular focus on financial and asset management software. The firm advises clients on development agreements, licensing, and distribution, as well as pre-contract issues such as proof of concept. The practice is headed by Kevin Sullivan, who handles dispute resolution work for clients in addition to the team's corporate offering.
Mosaic Smart Data Limited
Columba Systems Limited
Asset Mapping Limited
FSI (FM Solutions) Ltd
- Acting for Mosaic Smart Data and the founder in respect of JP Morgan Chase’s Series A investment for a 15.4% stake in the company at a pre-money valuation of £11 Million.
- Acting for a client in respect of an evaluation and proof of concept of its software product for a large bank.
- Acting for an advertising agency in respect of the licensing of its asset management system used by a large vehicle manufacturer.
- Advising on a data licence and distribution agreement
- Acting for a client in respect of its agreement with a public organisation in Dubai.