Licensing in South East
At Blandy & Blandy LLP, the licensing team is most notable for its work with large-scale sports and entertainment venues, including all alcohol and entertainment licensing issues, and representation at contested hearings. The team regularly collaborates with other departments in the firm to manage large venue projects for clients. Sue Dowling heads the practice, and is an experienced advocate at licensing committee hearings, as well as having substantial alcohol, betting and gaming, and entertainment licensing experience.
Tottenham Hotspur Ltd/Tottenham Hotspur Football & Athletic Co Limited
AEG Europe (in relation to O2 Arena and AEG campus venue, new ICON shopping centre)
Rugby Football Union
Royal Academy of Arts
Henley Royal Regatta
The FA Group – Wembley National Stadium Ltd
Marylebone Cricket Club ( in relation to Lord’s Cricket Ground)
Get Living London Limited
CH&CO (commercial caterers)
MM! The Party (Holdings) Ltd
Mama Festivals Limited
John Gaunt & Partners
John Gaunt & Partners' regional offering has been boosted with the hire of Jon Wallsgrove from Blake Morgan LLP. The team's clients, many of whom are well-known, national companies, include those in the retail, leisure, and hospitality sectors. Wallsgrove is a key name in the licensing space, and combines experience as an in-house counsel, advising licensing justices, and has also worked for local authorities.
‘John Gaunt and Partners is a small team of licencing law specialists who are quick to respond and provide clear and practical advice.‘
‘Jon Wallsgrove is my go to person if we ever have any licensing issues or licensing related work.‘
‘As a large hospitality company, we keep Jon busy and he always provides a top notch service.‘
Marks and Spencers
Beales Department Stores
Goodwood Estate Company Ltd
The Southern Co-operative
Millenium and Copthorne Hotels
Future Inns Hotels
- Acting for the entire estate of M&S 700+ stores in England, Wales and Scotland dealing with new licences, variations and advising in relation to compliance matters concerning the sale of alcohol.
- Acting for Southern Co-operative on all licensing matters for its 200+ stores, including variation applications for refurbishments and new license applications.
- Assisting regarding a new licence for a “pop up” restaurant concept in Paddington called “Pergola” which required negotiation with police, environmental health and residents’ associations to secure a licence with workable hours, activities and conditions.
- Handled the premises and gambling licensing for six Holiday Parks in the UK, including refurbishments and Designated Premises Supervisor changes.
- Acting for M&C Hotels concerning all its premises in the UK.
Trethowans LLP handles licensing work on a national level, acting for clients across the country from its Southampton office. The firm predominantly acts for clients in the hospitality industry - including national chains and additionally acts for betting and gaming companies. The practice also offers a team of planning experts headed by Sandra Graham. Karen Lush leads the practice, and is noted by clients for her 'remarkable' response times.
Other key lawyers:
Julia Palmer; Sandra Graham
‘The speed of their reaction to our requests can only be described as outstanding.‘
‘Their knowledge of our business and also the people within it is extremely good and everyone that has any contact with Karen and her team feel confident that we are well looked after.‘
‘Karen in incredible, her response time is remarkable and her attention to detail is, without a doubt, the reason we have a trouble free time when it comes to licensing.‘
‘On a personal level we all love to work with Karen as she is relentlessly cheerful, makes us feel very well looked after and valued’
‘we feel she gets our business and the often last minute way that we work‘
‘Without a doubt Karen is the reason we continue to work with Trethowans and have never looked elsewhere.’
‘Karen makes us look good’
- Handling all new premises licence applications for a leading national restaurant brand.
- Representing a major bookmaker at a contested hearing concerning an application for an adult gaming center licence.
- Managing pavement café/street trading licences for a leading national restaurant brand, including new applications and all renewals.
- Advising a Premier League Football Club on licensing aspects of future projects and development of a site.
- Assisting client with continuing roll out of refurbishments to their estates nationwide.
Field Seymour Parkes LLP acts for clients on a wide range of licensing application and variation issues, but is most known for its work in contentious licensing matters. Associate Mark Banham heads the practice, and is notable for his representation of clients at licensing hearings. The team is part of the firm's wider property litigation practice, which facilitates its substantial premises licensing and licensing variation offerings.
‘Mark Banham’s approach was supremely professional. He had a clear grasp of the law; the politics, and the personalities involved‘
‘Mark Banham made my job considerably easier’
‘What I like most about the firm is the accessibility of the solicitors working on my case‘
Heartstone Inns Limited
Westbury StreetHoldings Limited
Parsons Leisure Limited
Gilbey’s Restaurant Limited