Projects and energy in Slovakia
Allen & Overy Bratislava, s.r.o.
Praised for its 'proactive and flexible approach', Allen & Overy Bratislava, s.r.o. is regularly involved in high-profile energy sector mandates. It draws upon strengths in M&A, banking and finance transactions. In addition, it is also sought out to handle regulatory, competition, state aid and dispute resolution matters. Department head Martin Magál and senior associates Tomáš Búry and Peter Šťastný are key figures.
‘Deep understanding of the issue and the proposals of the consistent strategies‘
‘Martin Magál is professional and has a proactive and consistent approach‘
Zapadoslovenska distribucna, a.s.
Vychodoslovenska distribucna, a.s.
OTP Bank Plc.
Citi Global Markets, UniCredit Bank
Envien International Ltd.
ING Bank N.V.
Citigroup Global Markets Limited, UniCredit Bank Czech Republic and Slovakia A.S. and Citibank
Europe PLC, UK Branch
- Advised Slovenské elektrárne (SE) on the extension and renegotiation of its €2.9bn loan portfolio.
- Representing Západoslovenská distribučná in 11 disputes, where the producers of electricity from renewable sources are claiming back the payment of the “G-component” from Západoslovenská distribučná in the wake of a controversial decision of the Constitutional Court of the Slovak Republic, which did not abolish the G-component, but set out certain conditions for its charging.
- Acting for regional power distribution company Východoslovenská distribučná in a series of litigations with producers of electricity from renewable sources in relation to the so-called “G-component”.
Barger Prekop s.r.o.
Barger Prekop s.r.o., whose team is commended for its 'integrity and expertise', excels in a wide ambit of energy sector matters. It is adept in handling M&A, dispute resolution, competition and regulatory compliance matters for market-leading clients. Adrian Barger and Roman Prekop are recommended, as is Monika Simorova.
Roman Prekop; Monika Simorova
‘I thank Roman Prekop for his frankness, and Matus Lahky for his expertise‘
‘Roman Prekop is a skilled, reliable professional and is fully engaged on the task‘
‘Matus Lahky is a target-orientated and skilled professional‘
Hillbridges covers a broad spectrum of projects and energy-related matters. The scope of the work includes development projects, project finance, acquisitions, restructurings and commercial matters. The team's broad client base includes leading Slovak and international companies. Zuzana Bartošovičová, Miroslav Trenčan, Andrej Adamčík and Martin Cabak are notable individuals.
Zuzana Bartosovicova; Miroslav Trencan; Andrej Adamčik; Martin Cabak
Slovenské elektrárne, a.s.
International association of oil transporters, z.s.
PPA Controll, a.s.
Emergency Oil Stocks Agency, Slovakia
Ministry of Transport, Construction and Regional Development of the Slovak Republic
National Highway Company
- Advised Slovenské elektrárne on the preparation and realisation of an international tender for the supply of nuclear fuel for nuclear power plants in Slovakia.
- Advising InoBat on the development of a Pan-European R&D and testing facility battery excellence centre, headquartered in Slovakia, with the aim to establish battery demonstration and production lines with applications in electromobility (electric vehicles, hybrid vehicles), energy storage (consumer and utility scale storage systems) and alternative fuels (hydrogen).
- Advising Nafta, a natural gas storage and underground facility development company, on various corporate and employment matters.
The 'practical' team at Kinstellar regularly handles energy, infrastructure and construction projects. The 'top-quality' team is adept at handling project finance transactions and PPP work is also a key specialism. Roman Oleksik and Adam Hodoň are key figures.
Adam Hodoň; Roman Oleksik
‘Roman Oleksik has a willingness to support on operational and practical issues‘
Innogy / RWE
Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure Partners
Faisal Private Bank
- Advised E.ON on the sale of a state-of-the art CCGT power plant in Slovakia.
- Advising Západoslovenská distribučná (ZSD) on the ACON smart grids project for connecting electricity grids between Slovakia and the Czech Republic, which included advice on potential financings through the EU’s ‘Connecting Europe Facility’.
- Advising Continental Automotive Systems Slovakia (CASS) on matters related to the implementation of different energy efficiency measures.
Ružička & Partners s.r.o.
Ružička & Partners s.r.o.'s project infrastructure, PPP and public procurement practice is regularly engaged in high-profile work, with Ján Azud being a noted name. Jana Tögelová heads up the energy side of the practice, which sees the team acting for investors, leading regional energy producers and distributors. It handles finance, regulatory, competition, corporate, commercial, real estate and construction matters.
Ján Azud; Jana Tögelová
‘The firm’s vast headcount enables it to focus on industry sectors and practice areas which is fairly unique in Slovakia; this translates into a first-class service in all areas we worked together, especially public procurement, project development and litigation‘
‘Ján Azud is exceptional in providing a first-class quality service in terms of knowledgeability, responsiveness and practicality‘
‘The whole team is composed of legal professionals who are very well-oriented in the industry‘
‘The complexity of the services, in combination with the professional expertise and knowledge of the client’s needs, is essential for the clients and is also team’s biggest strength‘
‘The individuals this firm are very professional with deep technical knowledge and with innovative thinking, bringing innovative solutions for the client‘
‘Its activities in compliance and public procurement is ahead of the competition and are changing the way of providing legal services‘
Železnice Slovenskej republiky
Železničná spoločnosť Slovenskej republiky
Ministry of Health of the Slovak Republic
National Motorways Company
Slovak Investment Holding
Západoslovenská energetika, a.s. – ZSE energy companies (part of E.ON Group)
Office of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Slovak Republic
National Agency for Network Electronic Services
Slovnaft, member of MOL Group
JESS (Slovak Nuclear Energy Company)
J&T Real Estate
Trafigura Pte Ltd Branch Office Geneva
- Advises Siemens Slovakia on a range of matters and advised on the enforcement of its rights and participation in tenders for the provision of public lighting in two of the largest Slovakian cities.
- Advises Slovnaft on competition issues and regularly represents it in disputes.
- Advising Zvolenská teplárenská on the public procurement of a project for the construction of a €50m combined power and heat production facility and the reconstruction of related utility lines.
The 'well-connected' team at Eversheds Sutherland, advokátní kancelář, s.r.o. handles a broad range of energy sector mandates. The team is well-versed in dispute resolution, M&A, restructurings, commercial transactions and regulatory matters. Bernhard Hager is the head of the group, which also includes Annamária Tóthová .
‘Excellent knowledge of the market and ongoing developments‘
‘Excellent fluency in German‘
‘Annamária Tóthová has a deep knowledge of the industry and can anticipate new developments; she is very proactive in her approach‘
‘The team is very professional and has a very high level of service in terms of response times, accuracy, valuable information, good teamwork and information exchange‘
‘The team is very well connected in the market‘
‘Bernhard Hager has very good knowledge of energy law; he is a perfectionist and is very time-orientated‘
‘Petra Markova is very focused and is keen on finding the best solution for the client‘
NAS TRADE s.r.o.
Gunvor International B.V., and its Slovak branch
SEC Consult, a.s., and its Slovak subsidiaries
ecorec Österreich GmbH
SAPI – Slovak Association of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Industry
Raiffeisen Energy and Environment GmbH
Saubmermacher Dienstleistungs AG
SCPA – Slovak Crop Protection Association
Raiffeisenbank / ZEN Consulting
- Representing NAS TRADE in longrunning litigation against the electricity distribution company over the refusal of payment of feed-in tariff for renewable energy sources for a whole year under the Act on Support of Renewable Energy Sources.
- Advises Gunvor International and its Slovak branch on gas trading and reporting formalities.
- Advising SEC Consult and its Slovak subsidiaries on shipments of waste as a substitute fuel for the purpose of energy recovery.
Hamala Kluch Víglaský s.r.o.
Hamala Kluch Víglaský s.r.o. is experienced in transport and logistics projects, particularly in the rail sector. The energy sector is also a key focus of the 'business-minded' department. Roman Hamala, Martin Kluch, Peter Víglaský and Lukáš Michálik are key figures.
Roman Hamala; Martin Kluch; Peter Víglaský; Lukáš Michálik
‘Roman Hamala and Lukáš Michálik are responsive and available on short notice. Both grasp the issues quickly and are solution-minded‘
Budamar Logistics, a.s.
Tatravagónka a. s.
Phoenix zdravotnícke zásobovanie, a.s.
Cresco Group a.s.
- Advised Budamar Logistics on the acquisition of Tatravagónka, a major rail car producer.
- Advised Budamar Logistics on the acquisition of ŽOS Vrútky, a major rolling stock service center.
LEGATE, s.r.o delivers a 'first-class service' in oil, gas and power projects, with a focus on downstream matters. The team is able to handle a broad raft of energy sector mandates, including EPC contracts, construction contracts, and related disputes; it has 'first-hand knowledge of the industry and address matters promptly and in a very astute and determined manner'. Peter Vrábel is a key figure.
Peter Vrábel; Alena Pláňavská
‘The team provides competent and timely advice at short notice and we praise its generous support, timely advice and client-oriented approach‘
‘The firm’s oil and gas lawyers are knowledgeable, pro-active and available and as they are mandated by giants in this practice area; we consider them as one of highly-respected leaders in this space‘
‘Peter Vrábel is a true expert in this field who made his service very personal to the client; he is not only fighting the client’s corner, but he also thinks as though he is already in the client’s shoes. He is highly responsive and creative and impresses us with his excellent business acumen and strength-in-depth‘
Poláček & Partners
Poláček & Partners handles a range of regulatory, transactional and contentious mandates in the energy sector. It is particularly noted for its renewables expertise. Pavol Poláček is the main contact.
Over 100 producers of electricity from renewable energy
Slovak Association of Photovoltaic Industry and Renewable Energy
Slovak Electric Vehicle Association
Martinská Teplárenská (state-owned heating company)
Interenergo (Gelag Group)
Podtatranská Vodárenská A Prevádzková
Spoločnosť (Veolia group)
- Representing electricity producers from renewable energy in more than 100 lawsuits against three major distribution companies over restitution of payments for the access to the distribution network (G-component).
- Advised Slovak Association of Photovoltaic Industry on the legislative process related to new energy legislation adopted at the end of 2018 (amendment to Energy Act and to Act on Support of Renewable Energy Sources).
- Assisted VNG Slovakia with the preparation of a set of template contracts for the supply of electricity and gas (retail and wholesale) to be used by the supplier.