Allen & Gledhill LLP has a highly developed white-collar crime practice, primarily covering regulatory investigations, employment investigations, and fraud and cybersecurity attacks. It has a particularly strong record in Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters Act (MACMA) cases. The firm represents a range of banks, other financial institutions, and blue-chip corporates. The team has a high degree of specialisation with department co-head Aaron Lee working closely with the firm's financial services regulatory team. Moreover, co-head Jason Chan SC is one of few Singapore Senior Counsels to specialise in this area, having been appointed a Senior Counsel in January 2020. Both partners and others within the team are former prosecutors or judicial officers.
White-collar crime - Local firms in Singapore
‘The firm has provided excellent, timely legal services on the matters and their fees were very reasonable.’
‘Each time they have been impressed with the professionalism, responsiveness, judgement, and analytical strength of their lawyers.’
- Acted for Steep Rise to challenge both the domestic and international seizures of its bank accounts, the first case in which the Singapore Court has addressed the scope of the Attorney General’s duty of disclosure, when applying for MACMA seizure orders.
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP has an outstanding reputation in the white-collar crime field, noted for its expertise in money laundering, market misconduct, data breaches, and fraud investigations, along with sanction violation investigations. The department features a number of former prosecutors. Hamidul Haq is widely regarded as the leading figure in the market amongst Singapore law firms, having previously completed stints at the Attorney-General’s Chambers and the Commercial Affairs Department. Thong Chee Kun has an extensive record in compliance breaches, corruption offences, fraud, cybercrime, and securities fraud.
‘I have found them to be extremely professional, diligent and with sound judgement.’
‘They have greater capabilities to deal with multi-jurisdictional matters compared to other firms.’
‘They have a team comprised of former prosecutors, which gives them an advantage over other firms, as their knowledge and experience is significantly greater than other competitors.’
‘Thong Chee Kun is calm under pressure, and provides clear advice on complex matters. He is diligent and responsive, everything you need in an overseas counsel when working on complex cross-border cases.’
Asiaciti Trust Singapore
- Acted for Wirecard in an ongoing high-profile internal inquiry relating to fraud allegations.
- Advised and led internal investigations into the much publicised Paradise Papers data theft.
- Acted for the client in internal investigations into a multi-million dollar fraud perpetrated by a former senior employee.
Drew & Napier LLC's celebrated contentious skills are frequently in evidence in the white-collar crime segment. Wendell Wong is co-head of investigations and criminal law practice; he has an outstanding reputation for representing individuals in bribery and corruption investigations and cases. Mahesh Rai has also impressed in investigations, aside from his work in construction, arbitration, and litigation.
WongPartnership LLP has rich experience in domestic and cross-border government-led and internal investigations. This includes civil, criminal, and regulatory misconduct. It represents corporate and individual defendants in corruption, fraud, market misconduct, and a range of white-collar crime matters. Joy Tan is noted for contentious investigations.
‘The team is very knowledgeable and they are very quick to understand my needs. They are extremely hardworking and they leave no stones unturned to put up a great defence. They are very systematic and practical in their approach.’
‘Melanie Ho did not stop thinking about my case. She looked at every detail of my case and tried to find the best defence for me. I do not think I could have walked so far in this case without her by my side.’
Former regional manager of BP Singapore
Mr Wong Chee Meng, former general manager of Ang Mo Kio Town Council
Ministry of Health (Singapore) and MOH Holdings
- Acted for Mr Chang Peng Hong Clarence, who faces 20 charges of corruption and 27 secondary charges for transferring property representing the benefits of criminal conduct. Mr Chan is accused of receiving bribes amounting to almost S$6m as an inducement to advance the business interest of one of BP’s trading counterparties.
- Advised MOH Holdings and the Ministry of Health on matters relating to the unprecedented cyberattack on SingHealth’s IT System, and acted for MOH Holdings in the subsequent Committee of Inquiry hearing, investigating the attack.
- Acted in the criminal trial and appeal for Mr Wong Chee Meng, the former general manager of Ang Mo Kio Town Council. Mr Wong was charged in court with 55 counts of corruptly accepting some S$107,000 as an inducement to advance the business interests of 19-ANC and 19-NS2.
Harry Elias Partnership
Harry Elias Partnership has an established record in financial scandals, market manipulation, and money laundering cases. It represents a range of large corporates, financial institutions, and senior management and staff. Managing partner Philip Fong began his career at the Commercial Affairs Department and became the agency's first head of its anti-money laundering unit.
Chua Peng Jun
Setho Oi Lin
- Acted for Ms Setho when she was convicted by the State Courts for duping 1,341 people into paying about S$37.5m in total for fake memberships over a span of 10 years from 2004 to 2014.
- Represented the sales representative of a parallel car importer, who was charged with misappropriating around $414,564 from customers over several months.
Withers KhattarWong LLP has demonstrated a deep commitment to the white-collar crime segment, acting for corporates and individuals in a series of headline and complex investigations; the team is particularly well known for representing individuals. This includes corruption, market misconduct, and fraud cases. Shashi Nathan and Tania Chin are highly specialised in criminal defence work and impressed with their representation of the former CEO of Keppel Fels Brasil in an ongoing criminal investigation in Brazil linked to the headline allegations of corruption between Petrobras, the state-controlled oil company, and construction firms.
Other key lawyers:
‘They give bright advice to solve problems.’
‘They will go all the way to get things done.’
Tay Kim Hock (former CEO at Keppel FELS Brasil)
Liu Mei Ying
Joseph Chai (former director at Joerik Financial)
How Soo Feng (former director of The Gold Label)
Yee Kok Siong
Ace Lai (managing director of an IT company)
Then Feng (former counsel at a law firm)
- Acted for the former CEO of Keppel Fels Brasil in an ongoing criminal investigation being carried out in Brazil involving allegations of corruption between a state-controlled oil company, Petrobras, and construction firms.
- Advised Noble Group in relation to investigations into suspected false and misleading statements, and breaches of disclosure requirements.
- Acted for the client in relation to investigations for abetment by engaging in a conspiracy with two co-accused persons by furnishing a false statement to the Singapore Exchange Derivatives Trading.