Shipping: foreign firms in Singapore
HFW Singapore LLP
HFW Singapore LLP is a pre-eminent name in shipping, offering full-service capability and 'outstanding knowledge' in wet and dry matters and ship finance, advising both lenders and shipping companies. The practice has bolstered its contentious offering with the hire of senior associate and mariner Joel Cockerell from Reed Smith LLP, who is experienced in international trade, ship regulation, cargo disputes, marine insurance, and charter party disputes. Toby Stephens is a renowned expert in wet shipping disputes and crisis management, while Chris Metcalf is a 'truly professional lawyer' and active in dry litigation and shipping insurance matters. John Forrester has over 30 years of experience in ship finance; Siri Wennevik is another go-to transactional partner for offshore financing.
Toby StephensSingapore Head of Shipping and APAC Head of Admiralty & Crisis Management; John ForresterAPAC Head of Ship Finance; Chris MetcalfDry shipping Expert; Paul Aston(Partner in our Commodities group; Dry shipping specialist)
‘HFW has the legal knowledge, the deep experience in shipping for the benefit of us, and to advise us the knowledgeably about strategy as well as on individual deals and shipping disputes. ‘
‘Chris Metcalf as Partner in HFW and his team who support and advise to me/ or us in those matters. He is truly a professional lawyer who has a deeply experiences in shipping disputes which remarkable supports us in this dispute and proceeding arbitration. Furthermore, he is also a friendly and enthusiastic man.’
‘Emergency response and detailed advice are prominent in the shipping realm, especially the shipping firms in Singapore.’
‘In several cases I have worked with Mr. Toby Stephens who has always provided not only academic but also pragmatic advice. His advice is very useful to immediately address and ultimately resolve tricky situations.
‘Outstanding knowledge of shipping law especially salvage, towage and offshore’
‘Always available, incisive and always on form- Toby Stephens and Alex Kemp are outstanding’
‘Good knowledge and name in the market.’
Rubicon Vantage International
d’Amico Tankers D.A.C., an operating subsidiary of d’Amico International Shipping (DIS)
Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB (publ)
Development Bank of Japan Inc.
- Representing Front Puffin in a claim for injunctive relief for FPSO owners. BBC of FPSO in in an offshore Nigerian Field. BBC is also an operator and permitted Classification to be suspended with consequent prejudice to insurances. Hull, Machinery, P&I insurances lapsed.
- Lead counsel for and advising Landbridge Group (as sellers/lessee) in connection with a sale- and leaseback transaction with Sole Shipping (as buyers/lessor) in connection with two Very Large Crude Carriers and scrubbers.
- Advising CaixaBank S.A. as agent, lender and swap provider in connection with a pre- and post-delivery term loan facility made available to Norspan LNG 14 AS in connection with a Spanish flagged LNG vessel under construction which will be chartered to Edison from delivery.
Hill Dickinson LLP
Hill Dickinson LLP is commended as 'one of the strongest shipping teams in Singapore, with genuine partner-led involvement in all instructions' with a strong group of maritime specialists, including two Master Mariner partners; Tony Goldsmith and Ian Maclean, who transferred from the London office to lend his expertise on significant casualties and their ensuing claims. The team also bolstered its Korean network with the addition of Hong Bin Choi from the Seoul office. Andrew Lee has a broad wet and dry shipping disputes, particularly P&I, FDD work, and shipowners’ advisory practice. Shanna Ghose and Sumeet Malhotra are recommended for dry shipping and commodities disputes.
‘One of the strongest shipping teams in Singapore, with genuine partner-led involvement in all instructions.’
‘Andrew Lee – brings a rare blend of legal knowledge and commercial acumen to his work. Shanna Ghose – very well respected in the Singapore legal community Sumeet Malhotra – very experienced in disputes involving India Kunho Park – a talented and hard-working associate, certainly one to watch for the future.’
‘Very practical approach and a sound understanding of the market.’
‘Value for money, responsiveness.’
Tasik Toba Subsea AS
ONE – Ocean Network Express
North of England P&I Association
Steamships / Pacific Towing
Britannia P&I Club
- Acting successfully for Shipowners in the widely reported “SOUTHERN STAR” bareboat charterparty arbitration against Fugro.
- Acting for salvors, Ardent, who were awarded the Lloyds Open Form on this large laden container vessel fire whilst the vessel was lying off Vietnam.
- Acting in an offshore construction dispute between construction companies where clients were sub-contracted by a major Malaysian entity that has tried to pass on the blame for its own failings to the principal, an oil major.
Stephenson Harwood LLP offers a one-stop-shop in ship finance and litigation for English and Singapore law advice through its joint venture with Virtus Law. The Gregg Johnston led practice is praised for its 'great commercial acumen and understanding of the shipping sector' and counts major shipping and offshore oil and gas companies, shipyards, insurers, lenders, and private equity providers among its active clients. In finance, Johnson has a strong following among Korean clients and is active in restructuring and workouts. Iain Young, Huay Yee Kwan (who also has a good understanding of the Chinese market), and Martin Brown also have a busy transactional practice. On the contentious side, Michelle Yong and John Simpson advise on rig-building contract and multi-party charterparty disputes. Gregory Xu is recommended for financing that requires structuring against a combination of limited recourse and non-recourse syndicated and bilateral transactions. Senior associates Pedram Norton and Jefferson Tan are 'outstanding'.
Other key lawyers:
‘I think the SH Singapore office has a quite strong team with professional and responsive practice experience. I am satisfied with their current manpower and I think they are good at solving out difficult legal problems and considering the whole transaction for their clients.’
‘Huay Yee Kwan and Jefferson Tan, their team are quite sophisticated with shipping finance areas and quite helpful as well as responsive to clients’ daily transactions.’
‘Very deep experience, highly knowledgeable, and tenacious negotiators’
‘Gregg Johnston – incredibly hard-working, always seeks the best for the client and practical too Jeffrey Tanner – (Senior Associate) rising star, smart and good feel for the industry.’
‘Stephenson Harwood is a firm that consistently ensures it provides partner-led client service. Huay Yee is available at any time we need to contact her and is extremely responsive. The firm does a very good job of accommodating and meeting challenging timelines without compromising on the quality of advice and accuracy of drafting and documentation. They are commercial, very proactive in finding solutions and always across the latest developments in technical issues and market practice and approach.’
‘We have a close working relationship with Huay Yee. She has consistently shown an ability to understand and implement our commercial aims whilst maintaining a cooperative transactional atmosphere with our counterparties and clients. Stephenson Harwood as a firm is known for being among the best ship finance firms in the market and Huay Yee is a stand-out individual in the market.’
‘A very responsive firm with great commercial acumen and understanding of the shipping sector.’
‘The associates are extremely responsive and also have great foresight into the transactions – able to spot issues that clients may have missed. Senior Associate Pedram Norton and Associate Jefferson Tan have been particularly outstanding in this regard.’
DNB Bank ASA and DNB Asia Ltd.
CMB Financial Leasing
Bank of Communications Financial Leasing Co., Ltd
ABN AMRO Bank
Standard Chartered Bank
- Advised on a landmark ships-for-shares deal for a fleet of 29 ships chartered to Trafigura, and sold to Scorpio Tankers and Frontline Ltd for US$668 million, US$675 million respectively.
- Advised DNB Bank ASA, Singapore Branch and DNB Asia Ltd. with the transfer of their US$2 billion loan portfolio back to their head office in Norway.
- Advising and acting for a major secured lender on the collapse of Hin Leong Trading, a well known Singapore oil trader, and Ocean Tankers. This matter has been in the news recently for alleged fraudulent conduct.
'Standout maritime firm' Campbell Johnston Clark Singapore LLP has excellent wet and dry shipping capability and is regularly acts for owners, P&I, and vessel insurers on the full scope of contentious matters. Key areas of expertise include cargo claims, collisions, and marine casualties. Gareth Williams, is according to one client 'one of the best maritime lawyers in Singapore'; he focuses on dry issues such as contractual matters arising under shipbuilding contracts, bills of lading, cargo misdelivery, and marine insurance claims. Paul Apostolis has over three decades of experience in wet shipping disputes. The team's admiralty offering has also grown with the arrival of Master Mariner Andrew Shannon and senior associate William Pyle joined from HFW Singapore LLP.
‘CJC is for me a standout maritime firm in Singapore who while giving good solid “black letter” legal advice understand the commercial reality within the shipping sphere and the pressure on Owners to at times compromise to avoid commercially damaging disputes with charterers. As a senior maritime lawyer within a major ship owning group, I believe CJC is ideal for Owners to instruct and appreciate the pressure on the in-house lawyer with tough timelines. Good solid experience in both chartering, (litigation and arbitration) as well as admiralty. They work well with P&I Clubs and H&M underwriters in the best interests of all concerned – Including Owners.’
‘Gareth Williams – Litigation, Arbitration, General Maritime law. Commercially astute, knowledgeable and gets on well with shipping people. One of the very best maritime lawyers in Singapore.’
‘Paul Apostolis – Admiralty. Outstanding “wet lawyer”.’
Japan P&I Club
Skuld P&I Club
Shipowners Mutual P&I Club
West of England P&I
Samudera Indonesia / Foremost Shipping
LCH Locktons Insurance Brokers
Pan Ocean, Korea
Mitsui OSK Lines
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance
Libera Ship Management
HTK Shipping & Trading of Vietnam
Thome Oil & Gas Management
Clyde & Co Clasis Singapore
Clyde & Co Clasis Singapore 'has excellent global coverage, with both Singapore and English law experts' and is regularly mandated by marine underwriters, shipyards and ship owners, and international energy companies. Ik Wei Chong 'has a strong business sense' and is an expert in shipping, marine insurance, international trade, and energy, as well as in the Chinese market. Another key partner, Leon Alexander is sought after for his expertise in dry shipping and commodities; assisting with sale contracts, bills of lading, and charterparties. Strengthening its contentious capabilities, Nicholas Lum (who joined from Ince), focuses on disputes arising in shipping and shipbuilding, international trade, and commodities.
Other key lawyers:
‘Always there, helpful, easy to deal with, responsive, technically very good, value for money.’
‘Some other firms may have a more competitive pricing in providing local advice but if the matter involves another counsel in another jurisdiction, the engagement fees and time may be more than using one international firm.’
‘Ik Wei Chong has a strong business sense and can provide tailored advice for our business. Given his leadership role in the region, I can often voice concerns and get quick feedback from him for our engagement in Clyde & Co Hong Kong and China.’
‘The Clyde & Co LLP shipping team in Singapore has excellent global coverage, with both Singapore and English law experts. They are responsive, skilled in managing disputes, and extremely professional. This team has a good mix of local and international clients which makes them well placed to advise on both local and global issues and disputes. This team is my ‘go-to’ team for all shipping matters, particularly contentious matters.’
‘I have enjoyed working with Leon Alexander over a period of seven years. Leon’s broad experience makes him able to give a quick, ‘on-the-spot’ response when urgency dictates it, which he always follows up with carefully crafted legal advice. Leon is one of few Partners I work with who puts clients’ interests before time-keeping, since he thinks first about delivering excellent service to his clients, and second about charging for it. Leon is my ‘go-to’ person for all Singapore and global shipping matters, and he has anchored my company through some difficult contentious matters over the years.’
- Advised the crew on board the Vessel, Lai Bao, and Lodestar Marine Limited in respect of claims against the owners of the vessel in relation to outstanding wages to 18 crew members.
Ince has strengthened its maritime capability with the recruitment of three specialists; trade finance, offshore and commodities litigator Kimarie Cheang and disputes partner Wole Olufunwa from HFW Singapore LLP, to boost its Middle East and West African capability; Sung-Hwan Choi from Hill Dickinson LLP, who heads the Korean desk and represents banks, investment funds and private equity houses in a variety of finance and leasing transactions. Wai Yue Loh has been promoted to joint managing director and head of China desk. Master Mariner Harry Hirst maintains an active wet shipping practice, focusing on collisions, loss, and damage and salvage. Maureen Poh departed to Helmsman LLC in February 2020.
MDBrandH Co., Ltd.
Korea Ocean Business Corporation
The Korea Development Bank, Singapore Branch and The Korea Development Bank (HQ, Seoul, Korea)
CITIC Commodities International Pte Ltd
Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd.
P&I Clubs– North of England, Standard, Britannia, Thomas Miller
Malaysia International Shipping Corporation Berhad (MISC), the leading international shipping line of Malaysia.
National Australia Bank, an international bank
ING Bank NV
DVB Bank SE
Ben Rose leads Norton Rose Fulbright's Asia-wide shipping practice, which is well known for its reputation acting for banks, shipowners, lessors, offshore oilfield service providers on sale, purchase, leasing, and lending matters. Other areas of notable depth include private equity and capital market financings, shipping and offshore oil and gas projects, and restructuring work. Rose specialises in complex and high-end structured financings, such as Chinese sale & leasebacks, JOLCOs, and limited recourse project financings. Sue Ann Gan was promoted to the partnership and has a varied practice spanning transactional shipping and maritime litigation. Director and shipping litigator Edgar Chin joined from Incisive Law LLC. Robert Driver retired from the partnership but remains active on restructuring matters.
‘Very experienced and professional in shipping finance.’
‘Ben Rose as the Team Head is excellent in shipping structured finance and very good in a complicated structure.’
‘Responsive, open communication, organised, open to discussion, commercial-oriented.’
‘Sue Ann Gan is very responsive and maintains good communication with the clients.’
‘Patient, Resourceful, Analytical, Structuring / Drafting was good Partner (Ben Rose) was present and engaged – delivered a strong solution for us. ]’
‘Strong Offshore oil & gas legal skill sets.’
‘Ben Rose – Strong commercial sense and very responsive to work order requests.’
Mezzanine Equities N.V.
ING Bank N.V.
Standard Chartered Bank
Bank of Baroda
BNP Paribas Hong Kong Branch
Nordea Bank Abp, Singapore Branch
China Development Bank Financial Leasing Co., Ltd.
Korea Development Bank
- Advising Mezzanine Equities N.V. in relation to the $45m take-out project financing facility to Bumi Armada Berhad in respect of the financing of FSU ‘Armada LNG Mediterrana’ for operation by Electrogas Malta Limited as part of the Delimara LNG Import Terminal in Marsaxlokk Bay in Malta.
- Advising the lenders, ING Bank N.V. in relation to the English and Singapore law aspects of the $1bn financing of semi-submersible floating production system “Gumusut-Kakap”, wholly owned by Gumusut-Kakap Semi-Floating Production System. This is Asia-Pacific’s first deepwater semi-submersible floating production system.
- Advised a syndicate of 13 international banks on the English and Singapore law aspects of a $800m refinancing for Yinson Holdings Berhad of the floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel “John Agyekum Kufuor”.
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP's Singapore office fields a 'very capable international team that focuses on all aspects of shipping, from wet and dry to insolvency and commodities'. The team is led by Richard Lovell, who is 'mightily experienced, well-connected and thoughtful' and is a renowned wet shipping specialist, with extensive experience in the full range of marine casualties. Dan Perera is the key contact for dry shipping; advising commodity houses, owners, and financial institutions on a broad spectrum of contentious claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘Reed Smith has great depth and back-up. Have assembled a fine, experienced team across the industry; are very informative through information portals, webinars, and the like, and I would say head the field in the information race.’
‘Richard Lovell brings huge experience to his practice and has a terrific grasp of Admiralty matters, collisions, and big GA matters.’
‘I think the strength and one of the key capabilities of Shipping teams of Reed Smith LLP is its worldwide network. Clients who wish to research legal issues in several jurisdictions can get one-stop advice through this firm which has appropriate correspondents around the world.’
‘Reed Smith has a very capable international team that focuses on all aspects of shipping, from wet and dry to insolvency and commodities.’
‘Richard Lovell – mightily experienced, well-connected, and thoughtful.’
‘Dan Perera – great at navigating the complexities of commodities. Smart with good client skills.’
‘Reed Smith has a variety of teams. They have some local lawyers who have deep knowledge about the domestic law in Singapore while they also have international teams in which they can deal with cross-border legal issues. We can expect to receive comprehensive legal services from Reed Smith.’
‘Mr. Richard Lovell and Mr. Daniel Perera. We from time to time work together with them. They have a sense of critical thinking and also have the ability to empathy with Japanese clients. The latter is sometimes important to Japanese clients because Japanese company or society is a little bit unique. It is important to understand such a unique society in Japan in order to smoothly deal with Japanese cases. The above individuals have such ability or sense.’
‘The Singapore team, whilst compact, has significant experience in the region, as well as in maritime law. They are part of an extensive network across multiple jurisdictions in the region.’
‘Richard Lovell has a huge amount of experience to bring to bear, using his calm but authoritative demeanour to navigate clients through cases. He is both pragmatic and commercial in his handling of cases, always with the client’s best interests in mind, yet he does so with strong legal strategy and argument when handling opponents.’
Focusing predominantly on the ship finance arena, Watson Farley & Williams LLP incorporates a strong team of finance experts who are well placed to advise on sale and leaseback transactions and restructuring and offshore transactions. Andrew Nimmo demonstrates niche expertise in the offshore oil and gas industry, including FPSOs and LNG carriers, in both finance work and commercial contracts. Practice head Goh Mei Lin is a top advisor for international banks in regard to ship financing and refinancing matters. Simon Petch advises ship owners and banks on all aspects of financing and security structures, ship construction and conversion, and sale and purchase.
Bank of America NA
Bank of Communications Co., Ltd.
BW Maritime Pte Ltd
Crédit Industriel et Commercial, Singapore Branch
Deutsche Bank AG
Dorian LNG Limited
DVB Bank SE
Golar LNG Limited
HBA NAM DU Pte Ltd
Harvest Technology Pty Ltd.
ING Bank N.V., Singapore Branch
Korea Development Bank, Seoul Branch
MUFG Bank Ltd
NTT Finance Corporation
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation, Limited
PetroVietnam Technical Service Corporation
Precious Shipping Public Company Limited
Sapura Energy Berhad
Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank, Limited
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Thome Ship Management Pte Ltd
Thoresen Shipping Singapore Pte. Ltd.
Yinson Holdings Bhd
- Advising on a joint venture between FPSO Shapoorji Pallonji and Bumi Armada on project documentation and funding arrangements in relation to a landmark project worth in excess of $1bn for the conversion and leasing of a floating production storage and offloading vessel (FPSO) for the KG 98/2 FPSO project offshore India.
- Advising the large syndicate of lenders led by Bank of America, N.A. on a series of LNG carrier financings to subsidiaries of SK E&S Co., Ltd.. the vessels being on bareboat charter to SK Shipping Co. Ltd.
- Advising BNP Paribas on a green facility to partially finance the construction of the world’s largest LNG bunkering vessel “Gas Agility”; the first worldwide green loan financing in this vessel category.
Specialising in wet and dry shipping, Wikborg Rein has the 'preeminent offshore casualty response team in the industry' and is increasingly active in ship finance. New partner Ina Lutchmiah has taken over the managing partner role from Ian Teare who has returned to Europe; Lutchmiah has grown the firm's Singapore transactional offering with her experience acting for vessel owners and contractors in the sale and purchase agreements and corporate structures, with additional niche expertise in LNG vessels and regulatory regime for ship and rig recycling. In dry shipping, Robert Joiner is the 'stand out partner' with a strong background in insurance, shipbuilding, commodities, and S&P law. Senior lawyer Matthew Dow and senior associate Helene Sironneau are also recommended.
‘Their responses are very prompt, thorough and provides advice that are relevant. When needed, their approach can be flexible while maintaining strong integrity in their work.’
‘I’d put a strong recommendation for Helene A. Sironneau. She has been very helpful and capable of handling stressful situations with a calm head. She’s practical and handles client expectations very well. Her interpersonal skills are very much appreciated in building a good rapport with clients.’
‘Wikborg Rein has the preeminent offshore casualty response team in the industry, and are the “go-to” firm for us for any significant offshore incident. The team has a good mix of experience from various jurisdictions and, being as active as they are, means that they are able to mobilise quickly and appropriately.’
‘Very strong Singapore office. Presence in London which is useful for arbitration/High Court matters there’
‘Robert Joiner is the stand out partner on the dry side. A keen eye for detail and gets to grips with new matters quickly. Extremely swift and comprehensive responses in clear language. Understands the commercial background and actively finds solutions.’
North of England P&I Association
Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement Singapore
Atlantic, Gulf & Pacific (AG&P)
BW Gas Ltd
Japan P& I
- Advised Navios Tankers Management and Gard P&I and Italian H&M insurers on the collision of the Very Large Crude Carrier (VLCC) “Shinyo Ocean” with LNG Tanker “Aseem” off Fujairah in March 2019.
- Advised the shipowners and their P& I club in relation to a cargo claim involving unusual aspects of common law implied duty of seaworthiness relating to the breakdown of one of the vessel’s main engines.
- Advised Atlanic, Gulf &Pacific on its long-term charter from the Abu Dhabi National Oil Co of a Floating Storage Unit (FSU) for AG&P’s new LNG import terminal located within Karaikal Port in Puducherry, India.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP has a good reputation and track record advising highly structured shipping finance transactions and is particularly prolific acting on the lenders' side and representing Chinese leasing companies. Simon Spells has extensive experience acting for financial institutions and leasing companies in respect of a range of international asset and structured finance and leasing transactions.
SIPG Financial Leasing Co. Ltd
ICBC Financial Leasing Co. Ltd
DVB Bank SE
Bank of Communications Financial Leasing Co., Ltd
- Advised SIPG Financial Leasing Co. Ltd, as Lessor, in connection with the US$14 million (confidential) secured term loan facility provided by Bank of America and in respect of of one 1,020 TEU container vessel named “GLORY GUANGZHOU” which is on charter to Glory Season Shipping Co., Ltd.
- Represented ICBC Financial Leasing Co. Ltd, as borrower, in connection with a secured re-financing of five tankers which are on charter to Odfjell Chemical Tankers AS. T
Clifford Chance's shipping practice has been well regarded for its expertise in the offshore oil and gas and LNG sectors, and work advising on conventional and bulk vessels. While the team has recently been bolstered by the addition of restructuring and insolvency specialist partner Shaun Langhorne from Hogan Lovells Lee & Lee, the practice's head and key figure Kate Sherrard left to join Squire Patton Boggs in January 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong asset financing skill sets.’
- Advised ABN AMRO Bank N.V., Clifford Capital Pte. Ltd., ING Bank N.V. and Natixis as mandated lead arrangers on the US$700 million financing for the conversion of the LNG carrier Gimi into an FLNG vessel.
- Advising a shipbuilding conglomerate in China on sale and leaseback Financing in relation to two FSRU vessels.
Kennedys Legal Solutions
Kennedys Legal Solutions is well versed in marine insurance, sanctions, and shipping disputes, particularly cases involving charterparties, vessel sale and purchase, cargo claims, and marine casualties. The practice is able to assist in English and Singapore law matters for a range of insurance companies, ship owners, and ship operators. Nick Francis and Karnan Thirupathy are the key partners.
North of England P&I
West of England P&I
Allied World Assurance Company
Asia Capital Reinsurance
The Swedish Club
Omegra Shipping Pte Ltd
Agrocorp International Pte Ltd
Clearlake Shipping / Gunvor Group
Mariana Express Lines
Emirates National Oil Company
- Acting for Brit Insurance, the liability insurers and owners of a tug and barge in proceedings brought in the East Malaysian Courts for a total loss of cargo during heavy weather of the coast of Malaysia.
- Successfully acted for Clearlake Shipping, one of the world’s largest charterers of tankers, in the defence of a series of claims brought by two vessel owners, Pan Ocean and Xiang Da Marine in various proceedings in Singapore and London arising from alleged misrepresentations as to the origin of the cargo
- Advising P&I Insurer on allision of vessel with project jetty in Brunei on issues in relation to liability under a chain of charterparties, negligence claims from project principal, and coverage under project construction all risks insurance.
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP provides 'excellent value for money when looking for English qualified lawyers in the region' and is a top practice for shipping litigation and arbitration, often representing marine insurers and P&I clubs. Office head Johan Wong has extensive experience investigating collisions, groundings, fires, and total loss claims. Uniquely qualified in Hong Kong and Nauru, Steffen Pedersen is able to advise on Tuvalu, Kiribati, and Niue law, as well as English law, and is highlighted for his 'accurate knowledge of shipping law with good commercial sense'.
‘They have a particular focus on shipping law.’
‘Steffen Pedersen has an accurate knowledge of shipping law with good commercial sense. approachable and efficient.’
‘Excellent value for money when looking for English qualified lawyers in the region. ‘
‘Steffen Pedersen can always be relied on to provide timely focussed advice and has a deep understanding of the region and the needs of local clients. He is not afraid to give a view.’
West of England P&I
The Swedish Club
Qingdao Beihai Shipbuilding Heavy Industry Co
- Acted for P&I insurers following the liquefaction of a cargo of nickel ore shipped on board the vessel “SEA QUEEN II” whilst on route from Indonesia to China to investigate the circumstances surrounding the loading of the cargo and provide advice on issues concerning dangerous cargo, general average and abandonment.
- Acted for owners of the dredger “JBB DE RONG 19” which capsized and sank off Singapore following a collision with a tanker vessel “KARTIKA SEGARA” in the Singapore TSS in September 2017, resulting in loss of life, ship and cargo.
- Instructed on behalf of the Owners and P&I Club of “BUNGA ALPINIA” to assist with oil pollution claims and issues arising from a LOF/SCOPIC contract following a fire and explosion, which resulted in the total loss of the vessel in East Malaysia.
RPC Premier Law
RPC Premier Law routinely acts for international underwriters, P&I Clubs, ship owners, charterers, banks, and trading companies on a range of wet and dry shipping disputes, with marine insurance claims being a key area of specialisation. Iain Anderson handles claims involving hull, cargo, war, construction, and loss of hire recovery claims. Gerald Yee focuses on shipping, marine insurance, and commodities, as well as oil and gas disputes.
Ocean Import & Export Pte. Ltd.
Allied World Assurance Co.
Chubb Insurance Singapore Limited
- Acting for liability insurers of a major Singapore shipyard following the fire on board (and the subsequent total loss) of an offshore supply vessel undergoing repairs/conversion work.
- Acting for the client as the hull insurer of a high value super yacht UN1K which reportedly sank off Penang, Malaysia in September 2016.
- Acting for the client-Claimant in Singapore High Court proceedings seeking the losses arising out of the damage to cargo.