Investment funds: foreign firms in Singapore
At Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow, Kelvin Poa leads an 'excellent team with very good understanding of local and foreign laws and regulations'. Drawing on his experience in private equity, Poa advises leading funds on fund formation and structuring, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, restructurings and exits. Derek Kwan is an 'excellent lawyer'; he is particularly noted for the structuring, formation and operation of a range of closed-end funds and private investment vehicles, with a strong focus on private real estate funds.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow are very hands-on, knowledgeable and client oriented.’
‘Excellent team with a very good understanding of foreign and local laws and regulations.‘
‘Derek Kwan is an excellent lawyer with vast experience in the funds space.‘
Clifford Chance's 'top-tier group of experienced lawyers' includes managing partner Kai-Niklas Schneider, Lena Ng, Matthias Feldmann, counsel Daryl Liu and senior associate Luke Chen. The team stands out for its broad coverage and stellar client base of international and regional fund managers. The practice is able to advise on the formation of, and investment in, a variety of funds, including private equity, real estate, infrastructure, venture capital and hedge funds. Other areas of expertise include funds-related regulatory and securities law, secondary transactions and restructuring.
ICG Strategy Equity
CBRE Global Investors
- Advised ICG Strategic Equity on the formation of a $1.39bn secondary and primary private equity fund and related spin-out of Standard Chartered Private Equity.
- Advised CapitaLand on the formation of a $1bn pan-Asian value-add real estate fund.
- Assisting Quadria Capital with the formation of Quadria Capital Fund II, a private equity fund focusing on investments in the healthcare sector.
- Advising CBRE Global Investors on the formation of its new China core logistics real estate fund and partnership with Logos China.
- Acting for Tata Capital on the formation of Tata Opportunities Fund II, a private equity fund investing India.
Han Ming Ho
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP's Singapore office frequently coordinates with colleagues across multiple offices to act for institutional asset managers, private equity fund managers and sovereign wealth funds on big-ticket deals across Asia. It's multi-jurisdictional practice maintains a strong foothold in the Middle East, India and China, with a growing client base in the emerging markets of Vietnam, Indonesia and Pakistan. Robert Griffin is 'extremely effective in managing large, complex transactions' and provides 'understandable and consistent guidance' on the operation of private equity, hedge, real estate and other alternative investment funds.
‘The team has far outreached expectations regarding legal support for India-focused funds. Not only are they readily reachable and available for any query, but also they find out the best solutions for the client, along with the utmost diligence and rigour in rendering advice.’
‘The Singapore practice is highly commended for its knowledge, access to partners, commercial approach to problem solving in emerging markets, and unified service across the firm’s London, Singapore and US offices‘.
‘Robert Griffin is extremely effective in managing large, complex transactional matters, and in providing clear, understandable and consistent guidance‘
‘Robert Griffin offers considered and workable solutions to difficult problems and hurdles, demonstrated first-class skills and experience in all aspects of the representation, and managed a team that delivered legal services of the highest quality.’
Bain Capital Credit
India Asset Resurgence Fund
Mubadala Capital Management
Aavishkaar Capital Management
Focusing on private equity, private credit and real estate fund formation, Dechert has a strong record handling sizeable deals. Recent highlights include advising on the establishment of Dymon Asia’s second PE fund, which held a final closing at $450m, and Openspace Ventures’ second fund, which held a final closing at $135m. Key partner Dean Collins is frequently supported by associates Claire Bentley and Albert Tse.
Primavera Capital Group
GIC Private Limited
CDIB Capital International
Axiom Asia Private Capital
Asia Growth Capital Advisors (Singapore)
- Advised Committed Advisors and NewQuest Capital Partners on a secondaries deal involving the sale of a portfolio of companies owned by the Basil group and other sellers to a newly established fund that will be managed by the Basil group.
- Advising Openspace Ventures on raising its second venture capital fund focused on investments in early stage technology companies in South-East Asia.
- Assisted Kejora, an Indonesian fund manager, with the raising of its first venture capital fund focused on technology investments in South-East Asia.
- Acted for SilkRoad on raising its second real estate fund, focused on investments in Singapore and East Asia.
Jones Day advises on the full gamut of funds matters, including the creation of and investment in hedge funds, private equity funds, venture capital, real estate funds, infrastructure, co-investment funds and distressed funds for fund sponsors and lead investor clients. The team has a strong offering in real estate private equity funds, where it counts Greystar, CBRE Global Investment Partners and Asia Capital Real Estate among its clients. Dennis Barsky is the key name.
‘The team is well resourced, capable, commercially-minded and responsive.’
‘Dennis Barsky has built a great team and is very good at earning clients’ trust.’
Ancora Capital Management
ARA Asset Management
Asia Capital Real Estate
CBRE Global Investment Partners
Greystar Real Estate Partners
- Advised Greystar on the establishment of its Asia-Pacific operations and fund platform, and the formation of a $450m China real estate fund, Greystar China Multifamily Venture I LP.
- Advised Ancora Capital Management Pte. Ltd. on its formation of Ancora Residential Fund.
- Assisted Midas Fund Management in the formation of Midas Fund L.P. and the $330m acquisition of Taipei-listed Microlife Corporation.
- Advised Macquarie Capital on the formation of a fund vehicle to participate in a pre-IPO investment in a Chinese technology company.
- Advised LaSalle Investment Management on its acquisition of Aviva Investors’ real estate multi-manager business.
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons's team advises clients such including First Sentier/Colonial First State, Macquarie and Goldman Sachs on fundraising, investments, clubs, secondaries, management acquisitions and cross-border investments. Heads of practice are Will McCosker and John Sullivan, who is noted for his expertise in real estate and infrastructure funds.
John Sullivan; Will McCosker
First Sentier/Colonial First State
Pacific Alliance Group Limited
Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP's investment funds practice is led by I-An Lim. It attracts a steady stream of work assisting asset management companies, private equity investors and start-ups with setting up local and offshore funds and the preparation and negotiation of investment documents.
J O Hambro Capital Management Limited
- Advising an international wealth fund on local fund tax incentives and other related issues.
- Assisting J O Hambro Capital Management with reviewing the offering documents / information memorandum for the J O Hambro Funds, restricted schemes domiciled in Ireland and the UK.
Simmons & Simmons handles all aspects of fund formation and structuring for a multitude of funds, with a focus on private equity, venture capital, real estate and retail funds. Jek Aun Long leads the team and has experience acting for domestic and international clients on the structuring, establishment, registration and marketing of onshore and offshore funds, as well as advising on licensing, regulatory and securities law issues. Senior associate Benedict Tan is also of note.
Jek Aun Long
Other key lawyers: