Allen & Gledhill LLP's sizeable intellectual property team is active in all areas of this field, including the registration, management, exploitation, and protection of intellectual property. The team's technical expertise is demonstrated by its work for Singaporean and international clients in sectors such as communication technology, manufacturing, and pharmaceuticals. The practice is led by Stanley Lai SC, who has experience in both litigation and advisory work with a particular focus on the pharmaceutical industry. Gloria Goh also has a broad practice, as does Vignesh Vaerhn.
Intellectual property: Local firms in Singapore
‘Allen & Gledhill IP Team provides excellent services, e.g. they address the client’s enquiries precisely and provide their opinion in a timely manner.’
‘Dr. Stanley Lai, SC handled my cases. He is excellent in providing professional opinion and services in a timely manner. His professionalism and attention to detail in dealing with my cases is first class!’
‘I am impressed by the breadth and depth of A&G’s IP practice. In my current in-house role, I have instructed A&G on IP matters ranging from IP registration and prosecution to litigation and general advisory. Each time, A&G has delivered results exceeding expectations.’
‘I have had highly positive experiences working with Vignesh Vaerhn. I appreciate his ability to provide client-focused and legally sound solutions that are practical and workable, on quick turnaround times. Vignesh is highly intelligent and knowledgeable, has a sharp legal mind and very keen commercial sense. He is also readily reachable and provides personalised partner-level attention to all our matters. His ability to deliver results is exemplified in positive outcomes he achieved in the High Court and Court of Appeal.’
‘Although possessing a great depth of knowledge over the subject matter, this team is also quite commercial-minded and are able to add value in that regard. They deliver quality work.’
‘Dr. Stanley Lai is a subject matter expert and gives practical advice and is also a good mediator. His reputable standing in the community is also useful in dispute resolution.’
- Acting for SingNet in proceedings before the Copyright Tribunal for the determination of the reasonableness of the licence scheme that Composers & Authors Society of Singapore (“COMPASS”) is seeking to impose for SingNet’s Pay TV service. A reference to the High Court from the Copyright Tribunal has been made on the question of the power and jurisdiction of the Copyright Tribunal to grant retrospective orders. This is the first time that a reference has been made to the High Court from a Copyright Tribunal. Also concurrently acting for SingNet in proceedings before the High Court of Singapore in HC/Suit No. 261 of 2019 for alleged copyright infringement arising out of the same licencing scheme.
- Acted for TSMC, which commenced five lawsuits against GlobalFoundries Singapore Pte Ltd (“GlobalFoundaries”) for the infringement of several of TSMC’s patents in Singapore. TSMC discontinued the lawsuitsin Singapore pursuant to a global settlement reached between TSMC and GlobalFoundries, in which they agreed to dismiss all patent litigations worldwide between themselves and those that involve their customers.
- Acting for Combe International, the proprietor of the VAGISIL trade mark in Singapore, on the trade mark invalidation of VAGISAN in Singapore (an appeal to the High Court is pending). We successfully invalidated the VAGISAN registration on the basis that there is a likelihood of confusion arising from the similarity of the respective marks and goods, and on the basis of passing off. This decision is significant as the Registry found an above average similarity between the VAGISIL and VAGISAN marks, and a resulting likelihood of confusion, notwithstanding that the prefix “VAGI” was considered to be of weak distinctive character.
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow continues to act for some of the largest multinationals in pharmaceuticals, consumer goods, and manufacturing, advising them both in the management of their portfolios and in litigation to protect intellectual property. The practice frequently handles cross-jurisdictional matters in South East Asia. Practice head Andy Leck handles all areas of IP law, and has appeared before the Singapore High Court in IP cases. Lim Ren Jun's practice focuses on the healthcare and consumer goods sectors, and also includes anti-counterfeiting work, while Abe Sun's past experience as an engineer aids him in handling technically-complex patent matters. Senior associate Sanil Khatri is another key contact, with experience in contentious and non-contentious IP matters.
‘Andy Leck is the relationship partner. He takes the time to make sure to understand my company and invests in the relationship. He is proactive and pragmatic which are qualities much needed during the current crisis.’
‘Vivien Toh is an excellent attorney at Baker and is a key member of the Baker team managing our work. She is very responsive and provides clear and concise opinions.’
‘Lim Ren Jun, Natalie Huang, Vivien Teo, Kong Xie Shern are all strong.’
‘The entire team is exemplary in terms of service standards and quality of work.’
‘Lim Ren Jun understands his clients well and always provide excellent advice in his field of expertise.’
‘Re-activeness, timely response to issues and genuinely know their stuff! Reh Jun Lim was very impressive as well as Natalie Huang.’
‘Qualified patent law expertise at partner level. As far as I am aware no other local SG law firm has this (aside from patent firms).’
‘Both Abe Sun and senior associate Diana Bey are outstanding, proactive and client-centric.’
Motion Picture Association of America Inc.
Fox Network Group
- Acted for Abbott Laboratories on trade mark opposition proceedings against Société des Produits Nestlé S.A. (Nestlé).
Bird & Bird ATMD LLP handles all areas of IP law, including the registration and protection of intellectual property, as well as advising on the IP aspects of transactions. The team's practice covers sectors including automotive, life sciences, and technology. Recently, it has been engaged in matters related to Singapore's system of Geographical Indications, established in April 2019, such as contesting applications for GIs. Practice head Lorraine Tay has more than 20 years' experience in this area, predominantly focusing on non-contentious matters, while Alban Kang is known for his expertise in complex litigation. Anan Sivananthan also handles litigation in a range of sectors, while Oh Pin-Ping handles both contentious and non-contentious work; she is particularly active in technical patent work, having trained as a chemical engineer. Managing counsel Gene Kwek focuses on IP matters in the retail and consumer goods sectors; senior associate Audrey Lim is also recommended for her non-contentious IP work.
Ascott International Management
B. Braun Melsungen AG
Monster Energy Company
Olam International Holdings Limited
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Acting for Singapore subsidiary of American multinational biopharmaceutical company in two patent infringement cases in the Singapore High Court, as part of a multi-jurisdictional dispute spanning the U.S., Italy and UK.
- Acting for a US beverage manufacturer best known for the “MONSTER ENERGY” beverage, and also well known as a sponsor, supporter and promoter of extreme sports events and music bands, in various trade mark oppositions and other trademark disputes across the Singapore Trade Marks Registry and Singapore High Court.
- Assisted a major Japanese cosmetics company in the management of their multitude of brands across various jurisdictions in Asia. Our work and engagement has also extended to Europe, spanning across appropriate clearance searches, through to protection of the marks.
A full-service law firm, Drew & Napier LLC is particularly known for its representation of clients in contentious IP proceedings. The firm's work in litigation includes proceedings for IP infringements, opposition, invalidation and revocation proceedings, and passing off actions. Tony Yeo leads on healthcare and life sciences matters, with almost 30 years' experience in this area, while Yvonne Tang handles both contentious and non-contentious matters. Siau Wen Lim also has a broad practice, as does Meryl Koh.
‘Strategic and first-class lawyers. One of the best in the IP litigation arena. Possess a depth of knowledge, great commercial sense, and responsive. Consistently delivers reliable, excellent, and practical advice and work. Able to handle highly complex work.’
‘Tony Yeo and Meryl Koh are sharp and appropriately aggressive lawyers whom you will want on your side. Possessing good commercial sense and great depth of knowledge as subject matter experts, they will be able to value-add by strategising approaches for the best outcomes. First-class lawyers.’
IIa Technologies Pte Ltd
Exxon Mobile Corporation
Morinaga Nyugyo Kabushiki Kaisha (Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd)
Sentosa Development Corporation
Shell International B.V.
Target Brands, Inc
TWG Tea Company Pte Ltd
- Represented IIa Technologies Pte Ltd, an industry leader and manufacturer of lab-grown diamonds with the largest diamond growing facility in the world, in a patent infringement suit commenced by Element Six Technologies Ltd, a subsidiary of the De Beers Group, in Singapore High Court Suit No. 26 of 2016. The Suit includes a counterclaim by IIa Technologies Pte Ltd to invalidate and revoke Element Six Technologies Ltd’s patents in the Singapore High Court. The Suit was heard over a 7 week trial in two tranches.
- Acting for adidas International Marketing B.V. (“adidas”), a wholly owned subsidiary of adidas AG, which is a German multinational corporation and leading sportswear manufacturer in the world. It sells an extensive range of, inter alia, clothing, shoes, bags and sporting equipment bearing its iconic trade mark since 1990. It came to adidas’ attention that a Taiwanese company, Lutong Enterprise Corp. (“Lutong”) is using a similar trade mark in respect of goods that are similar to that of adidas, particularly footwear with designs that are identical or similar to that of adidas’. Lutong has also filed trade mark applications for its design in various jurisdictions including Singapore, Hong Kong and Germany. adidas commenced opposition / invalidation proceedings against these trade mark applications worldwide. The Registry decision upholding Lutong’s application was rendered in July 2018. adidas appealed to the High Court against the Registry’s decision. The High Court rendered its decision on 4 November 2019, and adidas was successful in its appeal. The High Court Judge not only found the 2 marks confusingly similar, but also held that adidas’ iconic trade mark was a “well-known” trade mark in Singapore.
- Successfully represented TWG Tea Company Pte Ltd (“TWG Tea”), a subsidiary of public-listed OSIM International Ltd, in HC/S 799/2017. TWG Tea is a home-grown brand famous for its luxury tea boutiques and salons. The action was started by TWG Tea against Mr Murjani Manoj Mohan, a former officeholder and shareholder of TWG Tea, (“Defendant”) for the return of TWG Tea domain name. Also acted for TWG Tea and two of its officeholders in the counterclaim brought by the Defendant for malicious falsehood, unjust enrichment and conspiracy. In the Judgment issued on 3 May 2019, the High Court found in favour of TWG Tea and held that Mr Murjani was holding the domain name twgtea.com on trust for TWG Tea. The Court has ordered Mr Murjani to hand over the domain name to TWG Tea. Further, the High Court dismissed Mr Murjani’s substantial counterclaim against TWG Tea, Mr Bouqdib, and Ms Barnes for malicious falsehood and conspiracy, completely. Mr Murjani was also ordered to pay costs.
Led by Jo-Ann See, Amica Law LLC is a boutique intellectual property law firm, handling trademark and patent registration, enforcement, and commercialisation of trademarks. Its client base includes both Singaporean and multinational companies in sectors such as technology, pharmaceuticals, hospitality, and heavy industry. See has over 30 years' experience in this sector, while Jason Chan leads on litigation; alongside Melvin Pang, he has recently represented a number of clients before the Singaporean High Court. Wilson Wong and Winnie Tham focus on IP registration and licensing.
‘Their strengths are their expertise, commercial knowledge, practical advice, and willingness to explore budget options. They are personable and friendly.’
‘Amica Law focuses on providing legal advice with the client’s commercial and business needs in mind, while balancing the client’s legal interests and challenges. The team takes the trouble and effort to learn and understand the client’s business as well as the industry in which the client operates, which ensures that the advice given is not cookie-cutter legal advice but rather an advice that is useful and relevant.’
‘Jo-Ann See is a leader in the field of trademark prosecution and is a fount of knowledge in trademark protection strategies. Her depth of experience is invaluable in assisting companies navigate trademark protection strategies across different jurisdictions and laws.’
‘Christabel Lim is making a name for herself as an up-and-coming practitioner in the field of trademark protection. Her energy, dedication, and attention to detail does not go unnoticed, or unappreciated by clients.’
‘They are responsive and provide no-nonsense, clear, commercially-aware advice at reasonable rates.’
‘Aaron Thng is an enthusiastic litigator. He has creative ideas on how to overcome problems and always has a good sense of humour.’
Philip Morris International
Element Six (UK) Limited
Razer Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd
Starbucks Coffee Company
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
Millennium & Copthorne International Limited
Halcyon Agri Corporation Limited
Singapore Exchange Limited
Singapore University of Technology and Design
Banking Computer Services Private Limited
iNova Pharmaceuticals (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Carousell Pte Ltd
Pfizer Private Limited
SISTIC.com Pte Ltd
Charles & Keith International Pte Ltd
- Advising on and managing the worldwide trade mark portfolio of Razer Asia-Pacific Pte. Ltd.
- Drafting, filing, and prosecuting Singapore patent applications, and managing the worldwide patent portfolio of Sembcorp Marine and its related entities.
Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP is a full-service intellectual property practice, advising multinational clients on intellectual property registration, protection, and commercial use. The team is particularly active in pharmaceutical and electromechanical patents; it also acts in specialised areas, such as geographical indications and the patent linkage regime implemented as a result of Singapore-United States Free Trade Agreement. The practice is now led by Catherine Lee and Gilbert Leong, while former practice head Ai Ming Lee continues to advise clients in her new role as senior consultant.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is cohesive, very professional, and approachable for consultation.’
‘We have worked with Lee Ai Ming and Elaine Lew for years. They are very professional, prompt, and approachable for consultation. Their knowledge is very comprehensive and they give comprehensive advice. They also try to save us unnecessary fees which we appreciate as we are an SME.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp
GlobalFoundries Singapore Pte. Ltd.
Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore
Ryohin Keikaku Co. Ltd.
Staywell Hospitality Group Pty Ltd
Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne (CIVC)
Institut national de l’origine et de la qualité (INAO)
- Acting for Towa Corporation (“Towa”) in a High Court patent infringement suit against ASM Technology Singapore Pte Ltd (“ASM Technology”) and ASM Pacific Technology Limited (“ASM Pacific”). We succeeded on both the claim for infringement as well as on the defence against the counterclaim for revocation. The High Court ordered an inquiry on damages or account of profits for the period 20 April 2007 to 6 July 2014.
- Represented and advised Japanese household and consumer goods company Ryohin Keikaku (also known as MUJI) in a trade mark infringement and passing off claim against Iuiga, a Singapore company, for its use of the statements “MUJI Same Manufacturer” and “Direct from MUJI Manufacturer” on its e-commerce website and physical store. Iuiga had tried to defend its use of the statements by arguing descriptive and non-trade mark use, and this was challenged by MUJI. The matter has since been settled due to successful settlement negotiations facilitated by our firm.
- Represented StaywellHospitality (the “Proprietor”), a global hospitality chain in defending trade mark invalidation proceedings initiated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Worldwide, Inc and Sheraton International IP, LLC (the “Applicants”). The Applicants relied on their “St. Regis” mark in their attempt to invalidate the Proprietor’s “Park Regis柏•伟诗酒店” mark. This is a significant case because it involves novel and complex issues relating to a dual language mark.
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP's intellectual property practice handles the full gamet of matters in this area, including IP registration, protection, and commercialisation. The team's client base includes government entities as well as companies in the energy, food and beverage, media, and technology sectors. The team is led by the highly experienced Lau Kok Keng, whose practice particularly focuses on the sports, media, and gaming industries. Elsewhere, Nicholas Lauw is noted for his work on IP matters in the technology sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have specialised knowledge in IP, contracts, and digital/tech-related law. A lean team but highly experienced and responsive.’
‘Nicholas Lauw has been very supportive and responsive to all my queries. He is able to scale different areas of law quickly and is a good fit for my business He also works well independently which is what I appreciate.’
‘The reason for engaging Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP is their presence in most Asian countries where such coverage is important for us. RT’s comprehensive coverage in most practice areas (in particular TMT) makes it stand out from other firms.’
‘I have worked with Nicholas Lauw and impressed with his prosaic and erudite counsel. The matter requires in-depth knowledge of both commercial and technical aspects of cloud computing where Nicholas has provided effective and valuable advice which led to a satisfactory resolution.’
‘Commercially savvy and have a high ability to communicate and breakdown extremely complex litigation cases into effective legal solutions for the clients.’
Adobe Systems Inc.
Sony Interactive Entertainment
Singapore Pools (Private) Limited
Sunseap Group Pte Ltd, Sunseap Energy Pte Ltd, Sunseap Leasing Pte Ltd
Lenovo Enterprise Solutions (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Singapore National Olympic Council
NTUC Foodfare Co-operatives Pte. Ltd.
Nanyang Technological University
Tiong Seng Contractors Pte Ltd
Phenomenon Agents Limited
Foresight Metal Engineering Pte Ltd
The Coca-Cola Company and Honest Tea, Inc
JERA Global Trading
Daimler South East Asia Pte. Ltd.
Alila Hotels & Resorts
Fédération Internationale de Football Association
Fujitsu Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore
Singapore Sports Council
Youngjoy Technology Limited
EW Cinemas Pte Ltd
Public Utilities Board
Express Food Group Co., Limited
Archroma Singapore Pte Ltd
Penta Ocean Construction Co, Ltd.
Software One Pte Ltd
Kopitiam Investment Pte Ltd
Monster Tune LLP
- Acting for the Sunseap Group in defending two suits brought by Sun Electric Pte Ltd for patent infringement.
- Acted for Kopitiam Investment Pte Ltd in defending allegations by a well-known restaurant group (Pu Tien Holdings Pte Ltd) that a stall in a food court operated by the client infringed a trade mark.
- Assisting Singapore Pools (Private) Limited, Singapore’s sole legalised gambling services provider, to seek recourse against its vendors and to review all related IT contracts to ensure client’s rights are adequately protected and that the public interest in ensuring the integrity of the client’s gaming operations is well protected.
Taylor Vinters Via LLC frequently acts in intellectual property disputes, advising both on IP enforcement and applications for trade mark invalidation, as well as advising on non-contentious matters. The firm's client base includes multinational companies across sectors such as real estate, beauty products, and technology; it also sits on the panels of a number of Singaporean government authorities. The lead partner in the team is managing director Yingyu Wang, who is active across the full range of intellectual property work.
‘The team is particularly strong in technology and IP law. This is a key area that I’ve been working with them on and having worked with a number of IP lawyers from different firms, I would say that TVV is the best firm to go to for such matters.’
‘Wang Yingyu is highly knowledgeable and one of the first names I think of when I have an issue related to IP and technology.’
‘The firm offers boutique-like services with a global mindset. Where it doesn’t have its own offices overseas, it has good relationships with local firms that allow for it to provide services across many jurisdictions.’
‘I enjoy working with Victoria Armstrong for her friendly and commercial but very professional approach. I value Yingyu Wang’s responsive and decisive input and the fact she only steps in at a partner level when needed.’
Supernova Pte Ltd
Turtletree Labs Pte Ltd
Land Transport Authority of Singapore
Exxel Technology Pte Ltd
Switcheo Exchange Pte Ltd
Vivo Mobile Communications Co. Ltd
Attribuild Pte Ltd
Lenddo Pte Ltd
AEvice Health Pte Ltd
- Managing the entirety of Supernova Pte Ltd’s extensive global trademark portfolio (including all related disputes) in respect of all twelve brands owned by the client.
- Acting for Vivo Mobile Communication Co. Ltd on the prosecution of numerous Singapore trademarks, including (aside from filing and advisory work) representation in relation to multiple complex contentious matters such as negotiations, oppositions, and invalidations (many of which against household brands).
- Providing ongoing pre-publication advice in relation to all social media posts in eight South-East Asian jurisdictions for one of the world’s largest international financial payment services brands.
WongPartnership LLP has a broad practice covering all areas of intellectual property law, as well as a client base including prominent multinationals. Practice head Chung Nian Lam is active in contentious and non-contentious intellectual property work; Kylie Peh is another key partner in the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Wong Partnership advises us on our trade mark portfolio in the Asia Pacific region, including trademark renewals, applications, and enforcement actions. We have worked with the firm for several years now, and have absolutely no issues with the quality of advice and service levels.’
‘Lam Chung Nian himself personally responds to our emails and advises us. He is an absolute professional and dedicated counsel who values our relationship and has invested many hours of time and effort to strengthen that.’
‘Kylie Peh is very experienced in her field, and has the ability to provide practical and commercial solutions to her clients.’
‘Always available, and wide range of experience on different topics make the Wong Partnership team the perfect fit for any medium or large company looking to do business in South East Asia, and particularly Singapore.’
‘In the very commercially competitive environment of legal practice in Singapore, WongPartnership LLP stands a head above the rest. In my 10 years of working with the team led by Liam Chung Nian, I have never needed clarification or a follow-up query to a response they provided because said response would have been complete with both the legal position and practical solution. The reason why I have never needed to consult anyone else is a testament that Lam Chung Nian’s team provides me (and all my clients who need legal assistance in Singapore) everything I need. An extremely valuable asset to me from a commercial standpoint
‘Lam Chung Nian has been the ever-present leader of the incredibly responsive and solutions-driven team. Notwithstanding, he still takes the trouble to reply to me personally. I cannot begin to explain the exceptional level of assurance that I can confidently convey to all my clients. Even while on conference or vacation, Chung Nian is on the ball and does not delegate the responses. I have received this same exceptional quality of service ever since I have known him 10 years ago. Kylie Peh has been Chung Nian’s reliable lieutenant, and under Chung Nian’s mentorship shows the potential to be a great practitioner in the future.’
‘The depth of knowledge and professionalism of Wong Partnership is unsurpassed, they may have peers but they do not have betters. They are an exceptional firm at the top of their game. They are highly responsive, cognizant of client needs and consistently deliver high-quality advice that major business decisions and entities can rely on. We have had the pleasure of working with them for many years now, relying on their services to meet the needs of our major clients in Singapore.’
‘Chung Nian Lam is a household name in Singaporean legal services, the depth of his knowledge of local IP law is unrivaled. He can always be relied upon to give clear, concise advice that cuts to the root of the problem, and assists clients in achieving their goals or in making an informed decision to go a different route. He is highly professional, yet personable. His team reflects the same qualities. We have had extensive relations with his firm for many years and always received nothing but top-quality advice. Other stand-out individuals who share his qualities include partner Kylie Peh, Sr. Associate Ling Yee, and Sr. Associate Karen Lai.’
Adidas Singapore Pte
A Menarini Asia-Pacific
Changi Airport Group (Singapore) Pte
Chip Eng Sang Corporation
ChuanQi IP Co.
Fast Retailing Co
Food Industry Asia
Government Technology Agency
Intellectual Property Office of Singapore
Merck Sharp & Dohme Corporation
Motion Picture Association of America
Music Rights (Singapore) Public Ltd
National Arts Council
National Gallery Singapore
Oakwood Worldwide (Asia)
Resorts World at Sentosa Pte
Singapore Airlines Pte
Singapore Press Holdings
Singapore Exchange Ltd
The Football Association Premier League
- Representing The Football Association Premier League Limited on its copyright site blocking action before the Singapore courts to successfully obtain a court order to block the streaming of infringing media and content
- Advising Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp and others, in trade mark infringement proceedings over the use of the “Merck” brand name before the Singapore courts
- Advising one of the world’s largest multinational luxury products conglomerate concerning its prominent liquor brands, on a anti-counterfeiting enforcement programme
Established in 2016, Robinson LLC is a boutique intellectual property firm with a specialism in anti-counterfeiting work. The team acts for clients, particularly in the technology, luxury goods, and manufacturing sectors on actions against counterfeiters throughout the Asia Pacific region. This includes investigations, cease and desist campaigns, coordinating and executing raids, and launching civil and criminal proceedings. The practice is led by Cyril Chua, an experienced IP litigator who established the firm after leaving Bird and Bird.
- Advised Hewlett-Packard on anti-counterfeiting and trade mark enforcement matters in relation to printing consumables across several APAC jurisdictionswith substantial seizures of counterfeit Hewlett-Packard products.
- Advised Chanel on anti-counterfeiting and trade mark enforcement matters across several APAC jurisdictionswith substantial seizures of counterfeit Chanel products.
- Advised MyRepublic on site-blocking applications brought under the Copyright Act in relation to illicit online streaming of football matches.
Donaldson & Burkinshaw LLP
A full-service IP law firm, Donaldson & Burkinshaw LLP provides advice to clients on trademark registration, protection, and commercial use. The team is led by Michelle See Hui Ng, Hubert Giam, and Lim Teck Yeow. Managing partner Ng handles both contentious and non-contentious IP work, while Teck Yeow’s practice focuses on the life sciences sector and Giam advises on mechanical and electrical patent work.
‘The team is very responsive and understands the needs of the clients. They are also very detail-oriented with a good understanding of the field.’
Led by Max Ng Chee Weng, Gateway Law Corporation provides intellectual property law advice to Singaporean firms, as well as to foreign firms entering the Singaporean market. In addition to advising on trademark registration and protection, it also advises its clients on the commercialisation and exploitation of their intellectual property.
Formula One Licensing B.V.
National University of Singapore
Institute of Technical Education
- Advised and represented the National University of Singapore (NUS) in negotiations on the commercialisation of its IP under its Industry Liaison Office.
- Advised the motor racing and entertainment group on its IP protection strategies in Singapore and active enforcement of its brand.
- Advised Singapore’s only homegrown consumer electronics chain on its extensive IP portfolio and developing protection strategies in support of its growth.
Ghows LLC was established by former Taylor Vinters partner Bryan Ghows in October 2019. The team's work includes both contentious and non-contentious work, with a particular focus on arbitrations. The practice is especially active in the technology, media, and telecom sectors. Ghows has 'an extensive and strong technical background in IP and technology', with over 35 years' experience in IP law. The firm is praised by clients for its 'very personal approach'.
‘Very personal approach and tailored to my specific requirements.’
‘Our experience has solely been in the international intellectual property area particularly in registering and protecting key trademarks in the US. Bryan Ghows, their founding partner, is highly experienced in this area and very proactive in securing trademark registrations for us even when they were previously unavailable.’
‘The firm’s strength is in strong partnership with clients and learning their businesses. They offer innovative and cost-effective IP strategies and solutions to achieve business objectives. The small and lean team means they are able to allocate appropriate resources and prompt.’
‘Bryan has an extensive and strong technical background in IP and technology. Given his in-house experience, he provides very commercial and innovative solutions to resolve IP issues and stands out from the other partners in other law firms.’
‘Ghows helped us to register a trademark in Singapore. They were efficient, proactive, and reliable. They also provided excellent advice and guidance, in terms that were readily understandable to the team.’
‘Venessa Phoa was responsible for seeing our trademark application go through and was responsive, patient, and extremely efficient in making it happen.’
‘A new firm that is backed by lots of experience.’
‘Bryan Ghows has a great deal of knowledge about the local legal landscape, including other personalities, which could be a great resource when dealing with other parties.’
Sun Electric Pte Ltd
Nalli Pte Ltd
Global Beverage Industries Pte Ltd
Akira Back LLC
Aqua Concepts Ltd
Vox Hibernicis Ltd
WorldRoamer Pte Ltd
Advocado Pte Ltd
Axiom IT Solutions Pte Ltd
Axiom Hub Pte Ltd
Kacific 1 Pte Ltd
Cycling Without Age Singapore Ltd
Maison Tjoeng Pte Ltd
- Acting for Sun Electric Pte Ltd in a multi-suit patent infringement action concerning solar energy power grid patents.
- Acting for Nalli Pte Ltd, a well-known silk and saree retailer in Singapore, in defending against claims brought by its competitors including trade mark infringement and passing off.
- Advising Akira Back LLC and the Back Corporation in the management and expansion of its global IP portfolio and expansion of restaurant operations in the USA, Canada, Southeast Asia and Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Lee & Lee
RHTLaw Asia LLP
RHTLaw Asia LLP is a full-service intellectual property law firm, handling IP registration, protection, and commercial use. Areas of focus for the team include technology and food and beverages, while their client base spans both Singaporean companies and multinationals from China, Japan, and the United States. Since the departure of Jonathan Kok, the team is led by Rizwi Wun.
BreadTalk Group of Companies
- Engaged by Breadtalk prior to its acquisition of Food Junction to perform due diligence on the intellectual property of Food Junction, including its trade marks.
Withers KhattarWong LLP advises clients in a range of sectors on the registration and protection of intellectual property, as well as the use of IP in commercial agreements. The intellectual property team was strengthened in February 2020 by the addition of Jonathan Kok, senior associate Joyce Lee, and patent executive Eileen Ng from RHT Law. Kok is particularly active in the technology and media sectors. Practice head Jim Lim is experienced in the management of IP portfolios as well as transactional IP work. Gretchen Su is another key contact in the team.
‘They are exceptionally good in this field of practice and do not have clear rivals. Due to the narrow nature of their fields of practice (IP and Trusts) in Singapore and due to the lack of attention by other leading Singapore and international law firms on the area of IP arbitration, Withers is able to dominate this field of arbitration.’
‘I really appreciate the fact that despite the minimal business we probably bring in terms of their IP practice, they still treat us as if we’re one of their major clients. They never fail to send regular updates regarding our applications and filings in Singapore and elsewhere which makes us always feel secure. Competence, consistency, and service quality is what keeps us going back to Withers.’
‘They have profound know-how and always see the big picture. They also give proactive advice instead of waiting for clients to ask specific questions on strategy.’
Wipro Unza Group
Mediacorp Pte. Ltd.
Global Schools Holdings Pte. Ltd.
DKSH Singapore Pte. Ltd.
Coffee Club Pte. Ltd.
Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Diasham Resources Pte. Ltd.
Skylab Networks Pte Ltd
Allies Group Pte Ltd.
- Acting for Coffee Club Pte. Ltd. in eleven (11) revocation proceedings initiated by The Coffee Club Pty. Ltd. at the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore against “COFFEE CLUB”-related trade marks registered in the name of Coffee Club Pte. Ltd. in Singapore.
- Acted for The Sufferfest, headquartered in Singapore, in its acquisition by Wahoo Fitness, a US-based leader in connected fitness devices. The acquisition involved the sale of The Sufferfest’s business and assets, which primarily comprise customer contracts and app software-related intellectual property.
- Successfully defended the registration of Aussino (USA) Inc., a leading supplier of homeware and furniture in a revocation action brought by a former business partner.