Insurance: local firms in Singapore
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP has great bench strength in the insurance advisory and disputes space, with specialist knowledge in insurtech and fintech. It also handles employment and insurance intermediary issues and has notable expertise in the insurance regulatory space. Simon Goh's practice spans contentious and non-contentious insurance and reinsurance; he is particularly noted for his expertise in restructuring, acquisitions of insurance companies and the sale and transfer of (re)insurance businesses. Elaine Tay advises insurers and brokers on licensing, restructuring, transfers and compliance issues. She is also an experienced advocate for insurers and clients in the energy and construction sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Insurance Australia Group Limited (“IAG”)
KIB Insurance Brokers (S) Pte Ltd
Professional Investment Advisory Services Pte Ltd
Prudential Assurance Company Singapore (Pte) Limited
United Overseas Insurance Limited
AXA Insurance Pte Ltd
MetLife Innovation Centre Pte Ltd
Swiss Reinsurance Limited
- Advised Insurance Australia Group on the first insurance-linked securities transaction in Singapore via the issuance of a AU$75m Rule 4(2) catastrophe bond by Orchard ILS Pte Ltd.
- Assisted the World Bank with the legal structure for the South-East Asia Disaster Risk Insurance Facility, Asia’s first disaster risk insurance program covering the nations within ASEAN.
- Advised MetLife on the development of its experimental insuretech product, “Vitana”, the world’s first automated insurance product utilising blockchain technology.
- Defending United Overseas Insurance, liability insurers of Veolia ES Singapore Industrial, in the High Court of Singapore, against a claim filed by Scantruck Engineering for fire, soot and water damage following a major industrial explosion at Veolia’s plant in Tuas, Singapore in late 2013.
Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP primarily advises clients in the construction, aviation, marine, medical and public service sectors on contentious insurance matters. Edric Pan has a varied caseload, representing clients in relation to insured losses, business interruption, professional negligence, property damage, personal injury and aviation disaster claims. Christopher Chong is noted for his niche specialism in the medical indemnity insurance space.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is friendly and approachable and always revert in a timely manner.’
‘The team values the relationship with the client and is always able and ready to offer a hand whether it is legal advice, training sessions and sharing its experience and insight.‘
NTUC Income Insurance Co-operative Limited
- Defending the medical practitioners, NTUC Income Insurance Co-operative, in a damages claim brought by the family of a deceased patient, following a medical procedure.
- Advising Liberty Insurance on policy coverage and the applicability of exclusions in a public liability policy.