Allen & Gledhill LLP has an excellent record in merger control matters, including cross-border and global transactions; this includes providing Singapore counsel to the London Stock Exchange on its $30bn acquisition of Refinitiv Holdings. Of late, the firm advised on a majority of all merger notifications to the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore. It also has a significant market share of engagements in respect of advising on anti-competitive agreements including cartel allegations. Department head Daren Shiau and highly-rated chief economist Elsa Chen are established figures in the market. Scott Clements is another top practitioner, particularly noted for contentious matters.
Antitrust and competition: local firms in Singapore
Other key lawyers:
‘Technically strong and makes an effort to research the relevant areas and legal points before presenting and discussing their views with clients.’
‘I am quite impressed by the team’s responsiveness. The team also has very good contacts within the CCCS. This helps.’
‘Elsa Chen, partner, while advising more in the economics and policy space, as opposed to pure legal issues, is intelligent and insightful. She is able to provide her views in concise and readily understood manner.’
- Advised London Stock Exchange Group, as Singapore antitrust counsel, on the acquisition of Refinitiv Holdings Limited.
- Advised both Analog Devices, Inc. and Maxim Integrated Products, Inc., as Singapore antitrust counsel, on the $21bn acquisition of Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. by Analog Devices, Inc.
- Advised GlobalWafers Co., as Singapore antitrust counsel, on its acquisition of Siltronic AG.
Drew & Napier LLC is best known for contentious and regulatory matters thanks to the firm’s dispute resolution heritage. The competition and regulatory team is frequently engaged in representing clients in major investigations by the CCCS, including advising on cartel investigations, applications for leniency and dawn raids. It also assists competition regulators themselves with key issues such as the development of regulatory frameworks, market access, liberalisation and enforcement issues, notably in the telecoms and media sectors. Lim Chong Kin is a seasoned competition and regulatory specialist with an impressive record in investigations and regulatory frameworks. Cavinder Bull SC is an outstanding litigator with a fine record in competition matters. Corinne Chew has impressed the market with her expertise in merger filings, leniency applications, dawn raids and investigations.
Other key lawyers:
‘The D&N team are one of the most responsive antitrust teams we have come across. They offer practical insights into the workings of the CCCS and sensible commercial advice. They are our go-to counsel for Singapore competition advice.’
‘Well rounded team, with expertise across competition, TMT, data protection and corporate commercial. Deep experience and expertise with competition matters, excellent at bringing a good outcome for clients.’
‘The team is very responsive and provides commercial and practical legal advice.’
‘Diversity, practicality of advice, responsiveness.’
‘Corinne Chew is an absolute stand-out for us. Her availability and engagement is second to none. A pleasure to work with and always across all the relevant issues and likely responses from the CCCS and market.’
‘Lim Chong Kin – Responsive and practical.’
‘Corinne Chew is the brains behind the practice. Unassuming but always able to read the situation well and produce great outcomes. Genuinely cares and fighta the clients’ case. ’
‘Chia Voon Jiet – he is very knowledgeable in his field of expertise.’
Info-communications Media Development Authority of Singapore
ADB BVBA and Safegate International
- Supporting the regulator of the Info-communications Media Development Authority of Singapore (“IMDA”) to implement Converged Telecoms & Media Regulatory Framework.
- Acted for Refinitiv in the filing to the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore for the proposed acquisition by the London Stock Exchange Group of Refinitiv Holdings.
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP handles an impressive mix of contentious and non-contentious matters. It handles an impressive range of cases in the areas of merger notification and competition investigations. The team played significant roles in a series of headline mergers and cartel investigations. It also has an excellent record in regional roles beyond Singapore. Kala Anandarajah has an outstanding reputation and leads the team, having influential roles on many of Singapore’s key merger notifications and is noted for her expertise in regional matters. Dominique Lombardi has unique experience in both European Union and ASEAN matters. Tanya Tang is the firm’s chief economic and policy adviser and has a particularly strong record in the TMT sector. Phang Hwee Guang is a talented senior associate.
‘The wise and strong leaders’ leadership, Kala Anandarajah and Dominique Lombardi, make this firm’s practice unique. They listen to the clients’ voices very carefully and they provide very practical solutions. Although I did not have direct experience on their innovations, I heard that this firm is very eager to introduce legal technology at early stages.’
‘The team is always available and provides real commercial advice – not overly theoretical advice – they are pragmatic and even though they worked on the Singapore aspects of a transaction we instructed them on, they could appreciate the global big picture and the impact of actions and strategy in Singapore on the broader deal.’
‘Expertise in the field of competition law, and breadth of their practice/network, enables them to provide cohesive and practical advice across multiple jurisdictions. It saves clients time and effort, as the firm can provide a one-stop-shop for advice across various markets, instead of clients going market-by-market. ’
‘Kala Amandarajah and Dominique Lombardi are very responsive.’
‘Kala Anandarajah and Phang Hwee Guang have been excellent partners in navigating the complex competition laws and regulations within the Asia Pacific. They are knowledgeable in their chosen field, and are also able to appreciate the commercial realities for the business units and the industry at large. Their advice is grounded, practical, yet succinct, and they are immensely helpful in responding to any follow-up inquiries.’
‘I worked with Kala Anandarajah and Dominique Lombardi. Both individuals are very responsive and live to the commercial and political sensitivities at play when providing their advice. They are well connected with regulators and given their extensive experience, they are able to provide examples of similar concerns in other deals. Both Kala and Dominique are such a delight to work with not only because of their legal knowledge but they are both so lovely and charming.’
Toh Thye San Farm (TTS)
Emeritus Institute of Management
WongPartnership LLP achieved prominence in a string of market-defining cases; it represented Uber Technologies in its appeal against a decision by the Singapore competition regulator that the sale of its Southeast Asia business to Grab in return for a minority stake in Grab, violated Singapore competition laws. The competition team has built an enviable presence in merger control cases, along with an established practice in other key areas such as cartels and leniency applications, abuse of dominance cases, and compliance programmes. Ameera Ashraf is a leading name in merger control, market studies and cartels. Chan Jia Hui is also rated for merger control and cartels.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are in my view the best antitrust practice in Singapore. They are creative and willing to push the envelope to address the client’s concerns. They are very experienced and supported by a top-notch litigation team.’
‘Their responsiveness, thoroughness and ability to provide practical and clear advice even when involving complex issues.’
‘Ameera Ashraf is in my view one of the very best practitioners in Singapore. She’s very creative, not afraid of speaking her mind, and always willing to push the envelope.’
‘Chan Jia Hui stands out for his ability to provide practical and clear advice even when involving complex issues. Also has good knowledge of merger control regimes in other major jurisdictions as well as in regional countries which makes it easy to get guidance on merger filing requirements quickly.’
Uber Singapore Technologies Pte Ltd
Sembwaste Pte Ltd
Intercontinental Hotels Group
Japan Pulp & Paper
Luxottica Group S.p.A
Pacific International Lines
- Acted for Uber Technologies Singapore Pte Ltd in its appeal against the decision by the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore that the sale of Uber’s Southeast Asian business to Grab, Inc. in exchange for a minority stake in Grab, is an infringement of the Competition Act of Singapore.
- Acted for SembWaste Pte. Ltd. in successfully obtaining a Phase 1 clearance from the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore in respect of its acquisition of 100% of the issued shares of Veolia ES Singapore Pte Ltd.
- Advised Pacific International Lines on the multi-jurisdictional merger control related issues and filings arising from the transaction with Heliconia Capital Management Pte. Ltd.
Ascendant Legal LLC
Ascendant Legal LLC has become a core component in Norton Rose Fulbright‘s Asia Pacific antitrust and competition practice; it is the international firm's Formal Law Alliance (FLA) partner in Singapore. The team has taken a series of pivotal roles in cross-border M&A and investigations engagements. The firm has a significant degree of competition specialisation, regularly appearing before the Singapore courts and dealing with investigations by the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore. It is also able to draw on the expertise and experience of colleagues at Norton Rose Fulbright. Counsel Jeremiah Chew is a recognised specialist in competition law, while partner Kei-Jin Chew is another experienced figure in this area.
Jeremiah Chew; Kei-Jin Chew
Louis Dreyfus Company (LDC)
- Advised Pavilion Energy Singapore Pte. Ltd., on the competition law aspects of several joint venture and supply arrangements in relation to liquefied natural gas (LNG) in Singapore, in cooperation with Norton Rose Fulbright.
- Advised Ferrero in cooperation with Norton Rose Fulbright on competition law constraints, particularly in respect of distribution, dominance and compliance issues, across Asia-Pacific and in particular in Singapore where the Asia Pacific legal team is based.
- Jointly with the Norton Rose Fulbright Asia competition team, advised French oil company Total in relation to the merger control aspects of several transactions, as well as on terms of supply across ASEAN, and in particular in Singapore.
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow has a rounded antitrust and competition practice in Singapore, buoyed further by the international firm’s worldwide expertise and resources. The Singapore team has deep regulatory credentials with Harikumar Sukumar Pillay having previously headed the enforcement division of the CCCS; he and the team now frequently advise regional regulators on the development of competition regimes in ASEAN countries and advised the Malaysia Competition Commission on amendments to the country’s antitrust legislation. Ken Chia has extensive competition experience, both domestically and internationally, in matters ranging from merger notifications to abuse of dominance and cartel investigations. Lip Hang Poh is the team’s competition economist.
Ken Chia; Harikumar Pillay
ASEAN Expert Group on Competition
Malaysia Competition Commission
Myanmar Competition Commission
Philippine Competition Commission
- Assisted Grab in responding to the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore’s requests for information concerning its investigation into an alleged abuse of dominance by a large player in the online food ordering/delivery and virtual kitchen markets.
- Provided competition policy advice to the Malaysia Competition Commission on its proposed amendments to the Malaysia Competition Act 2010 and the Competition Commission Act 2010.
- Drafted the Study on Recommended Procedures for Cooperation on Cross-Border Competition Cases for 10 ASEAN member states.
Dentons Rodyk has an excellent record in domestic and cross-border competition issues with its further ability to leverage the expertise and resources of the global firm. The firm continues to impress in abuse of dominance cases, leniency applications, dawn raids and market studies. Gerald Singham is a seasoned competition specialist with an excellent record in abuse of dominance cases, dawn raids, market studies and general competition compliance. Ajinderpal Singh provides further expertise in price-fixing and cartel investigations. Mohamad Rizuan Bin Pathie is another key team member with extensive experience in CCCS investigations.
Gerald Singham; Ajinderpal Singh
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is knowledgeable, hands-on, practical and commercial. They are also responsive and fees are reasonable.’
‘Managing partner Gerald Singham and Nicole Teo are responsive, quick to grasp the issues, and a joy to work with.’
‘Compared to other firms, Dentons Rodyk makes very clear suggestions for complicated litigation matters in Singapore. In addition, they explained in detail about the estimated cost that will be incurred in a timely and appropriate manner, therefore, we think they are a very skilled partner and we are satisfied with their services.’
‘Mr Gerald Singham is a very good lawyer from the perspective of the response speed and accuracy of the advice. In the litigation matter, it is required to make a strategy in a timely manner in order not to miss the opportunities to conclude such a matter. Regarding this point, his skill is outstanding.’
INEOS Styrolution APAC Pte. Ltd.
Far East Hospitality Management (S) Pte. Ltd.
Teho Property Consultants Pte. Ltd.
Mercatus Co-Operative Limited
GOJEK Singapore Pte. Ltd.
Tech Data Corporation
Pavilion Energy Singapore Pte.Ltd.
Singapore Poultry Hub Pte. Ltd.
Toyota Motor Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
- Acted for Panasonic Corporation as part of its multi-jurisdiction leniency efforts and CCCS’s investigation into alleged information in respect to the manufacture, sales, distribution and prices of film and ceramic capacitors.
- Advised GOJEK Singapore Pte. Ltd. on the competition law frameworks in the relevant jurisdictions and commercially practical approaches to remain compliant yet achieve its commercial objectives.
- Acted for Teho Property Consultants Pte. Ltd. in CCCS’s investigation into alleged abuse of collective dominance by property surveyors in Singapore.