Allen & Gledhill LLP continues to be the preeminent firm in advising on mergers and acquisitions in Singapore, handling merger control issues for high value transactions. In addition, the team also frequently handles matters involving anti-competitive agreement allegations, cartel allegations, and consumer protection advisory work. The team is led by Daren Shiau and Chief Economist Elsa Chen. Shiau also acts as co-head of the firm’s corporate and commercial team, and has a broad practice encompassing antitrust litigation, cartels, and merger control. Scott Clements is another key contact in the team and is active in all areas of antitrust law.
Antitrust and competition: local firms in Singapore
Other key lawyers:
‘The anti-trust team is very professional and get the work done on time.’
‘Highly specialised team with excellent practical experience. The fact that the firm has a dedicated team for competition made up of not just lawyers but also economists shows the commitment which the firm has towards building its competence in competition law.’
‘Elsa Chen joined A&G from the Singapore Competition Commission and is able to bring her inside knowledge and experience to bear on procedural and substantive issues that arise in the course of an application.’
Led by Lim Chong Kin, senior counsel Cavinder Bull SC, and director Corinne Chew, Drew & Napier LLC advise on a range of antitrust matters. The team acts for private clients in mergers and Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS) notifications, and also advises sectoral regulators on competition matters. Kin has experience in the drafting of both sectoral and general competition law in Singapore, while Bull advises clients in investigations by competition law regulators. Chew handles work including filing merger notifications and defending against CCCS investigations.
‘They offer very pragmatic and practical advice.’
Deutsche Lufthansa AG and Singapore Airlines Limited
Info-communications Media Development Authority of Singapore
ADB BVBA and Safegate International AB
- Supporting the Regulator to Implement Converged Telecoms & Media Regulatory Framework
- Providing legal advice and support in respect of a market study by the CCCS.
- Instructing counsel for the individual exemption application to the Malaysian Aviation Commission (MAVCOM)
Led by Kala Anandarajah, Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP advises on mergers and acquisitions, Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS) investigations, and the lodging of complaints with CCCS. Anandarajah has a broad knowledge of antitrust law, while Dominique Lombardi is knowledgeable in both EU and Southeast Asian competition law. Tanya Tang is both a partner and chief economic and policy advisor in the team; her clients include private companies involved in mergers and investigations, as well as sectoral regulators.
‘This firm covers most Asian jurisdictions. This helps us a lot when we have cross-border matters/cases/investigations. Once we asked the Singapore head office of this firm, they arranged the work necessary in the relevant jurisdictions in Asia swiftly.’
‘Kala Anandarajah is a good leader in competition and trade law. She is very clever, able to grasp the essence of the matter/case, and is very responsive. Her advice is very clear-cut and easy to understand.’
‘Dominique Lombardi is a good partner. She is very active and swiftly understands the relevant situations of the matter.’
Toh Thye San Farm
Pathology Asia Holdings Pte. Ltd. (part of TPG Group)
DKSH Holding Ltd and DKSH Holding (s) Pte Ltd
- Assisting TTS in its appeal before the Competition Appeal Board (CAB) against the infringement decision (ID) issued by the CCCS against TTS and other fresh chicken distributors for their alleged participation in agreements to fix prices and allocate customers.
- Advised Pathology Holdings Pte. Ltd., Innovative and Quest on the acquisition by TPG Group of Innovative and Quest, successfully obtaining merger clearance without a monitoring trustee being appointed.
- Acted for the Institute in an investigation initiated by the CCCS regarding an alleged cartel and/or abuse of dominance infringement of the Competition Act by the Institute in connection with the Institute’s byelaws and its members’ conduct in relation to the offering of certain professional services.
Ascendant Legal LLC
A boutique litigation and dispute resolution firm, Ascendant Legal LLC established a formal law alliance with Norton Rose Fulbright in January 2019, broadening its capabilities in the area of antitrust and competition law. In addition to handling contentious work, such as representing clients before the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore, the firm also works alongside Norton Rose to advise multinational clients on antitrust issues related to corporate and commercial matters. The practice is led by Kei-Jin Chew and Of Counsel Jeremiah Chew.
Louis Dreyfus Company (LDC)
- Advised Total Marine Fuels, a subsidiary of French energy conglomerate Total SA on the competition law aspect of its 10-year contract with Pavilion Energy Singapore Pte. Ltd. to develop liquefied natural gas (LNG) bunker supply facilities in Singapore. Acted in cooperation with Norton Rose Fulbright.
- Advise Michelin in cooperation with Norton Rose Fulbright in relation to a joint venture with German tyre manufacturer Continental in Singapore. The joint venture specialises in the development and deployment of technological solution for mapping sustainability practices in the supply chain of natural rubber.
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow advises regulators, public organisations and private companies on antitrust matters. The Singapore team works with the firm’s offices in South East Asia and around the world to advise on cross-border regulatory issues. The practice is led by Ken Chia, who has experience in antitrust work ranging from merger control, to abuse of dominance, to cartel investigations. The team was joined in February 2020 by associate principal Harikumar Sukumar Pillay, who prior to returning to private practice led the enforcement division of the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore. The team also includes Lip Hang Poh, a competition economist who aids in their provision of advice on competition policy.
‘Harikumar knows his law, and is deeply interested in fixing Client’s problems. He has the right amount of aggression/fighting instinct a litigation lawyer requires. He is very sharp in critical thinking, has a very engaging mind and is very responsive to queries. Additionally, he is able to quickly frame the legal issue on the spot and is able to find solutions to difficult problems. Harikumar has excellent drafting skills, a great sense of humour; and above all, is honest and has a strong sense of justice and fairness.’
‘Lip Hang is an intellectual. A deep-thinker, he knows both the theoretical and practical aspects of Economics and is deeply interested in fixing Client’s problems.’
PTT Global Chemical Public Company Limited
Malaysia Competition Commission
- Representing PTTGC in obtaining the merger clearances in China, Turkey and EU for its proposed establishment of a joint venture with ALPLA Holding GmbH.
- Working with the Malaysia Competition Commission as competition policy consultants on the legislative review exercise on (i) Competition Act 2010; (ii) Competition Commission Act; and (iii) potential introduction of a merger control regime.
Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP handles antitrust matters, including merger control, competition compliance, and Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore investigations across sectors including electronics, oil and gas, and hospitality. The Singapore office also collaborates with Dentons’ offices around the world to advise on cross-border regulatory issues. The practice is led by Gerald Singham, who is active in advising both local and multinational firms across all areas of competition law. The team also includes Mohamad Rizuan Bin Pathie, who in addition to advising on antitrust matters also provides compliance training to clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice is headed by Gerald Singham, who is responsive, hands-on. A pleasure to have a partner of his seniority actively engaged throughout, lending his expertise. His team is also competent and commercial. Fees are reasonable. It is a joy to work with them!’
‘Deputy Managing Partner Gerald Singham and Senior Associate Nicole Teo are competent, responsive, commercial, solution-focused, and hands-on. They are willing to go the extra mile for their clients.’
‘The team is responsive, commercial and understands business nuances. They are able to advice on the regional situation and understand latest trends.’
‘I work regularly with Gerald Singham. Gerald is pleasant, smart and gives excellent commercial advice.’
INEOS Styrolution APAC Pte. Ltd.
Far East Hospitality Management (S) Pte. Ltd.
- Acting for the client in CCCS investigation in relation to alleged price fixing in the supply of resistors in Singapore.
- Advising on and drafting of a comprehensive competition compliance manual covering 14 jurisdictions including the 10 countries in Southeast Asia.
- Conducted a surprise mock dawn raid for the client including rendering a comprehensive report on the outcome of the mock dawn raid.
WongPartnership LLP handles a range of antitrust matters, including merger notifications and merger control issues, as well as advising firms on Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS) investigations into anti-competitive practices. Much of the firm's work involves cross-jurisdictional mergers. Practice head Ameera Ashraf handles both contentious and non-contentious work; Chan Jia Hui is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘I believe that the service Ms Ashraf provides is of much higher quality than what other individuals currently ranked in band 1 provide, for the following reasons. First, she is hands-on and always makes herself available, compared to her competitors who mostly rely on associates to run matters. Second, she is very creative and willing to push the envelope while her competitors are very conservative (and not commercially-minded). Third, she has very good relationships with the enforcers, which is very important for our clients. Fourth, for very significant matters that may require an appeal, the WongP litigation team is second to none and Ms Ashraf being a litigator herself, there is simply no better firm.’
Uber Singapore Technologies Pte Ltd
Sembwaste Pte Ltd
Intercontinental Hotels Group
Japan Pulp & Paper
Luxottica Group S.p.A
- Acting for Uber Technologies Singapore Pte Ltd in its appeal against the decision by the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore that the sale of Uber’s Southeast Asian business to Grab, Inc. in exchange for a minority stake in Grab, is an infringement of the Competition Act of Singapore.
- Advised Inter-Continental Hotels (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. (“IHG”) in respect of the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore’s (“CCCS”) investigation into alleged exchanges of information between a sales representative of an IHG operated hotel and representatives of other competitor hotels in Singapore, which eventually led to the CCCS’ issuance of an infringement decision on 30 January 2019.
- Advised CapitaLand Ltd. (“CapitaLand”) on the merger control and regulatory aspects of its proposal to acquire the Ascendas-Singbridge group of companies controlled by Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited.