BDK Advokati AOD 'provides user-friendly advice that is very commercial in nature'. The team stands out for its state aid specialism, but its expertise also covers the assessment of commercial contracts and business models; representation in individual exemption proceedings; and compliance health checks. Additionally, it is experienced in merger clearance, investigations, dawn raids and leniency applications. Tijana Kojović is the highly regarded managing partner, while senior associate Bisera Andrijašević is a state aid expert, and associate Mladen Vujić is a core team member.
Competition in Serbia
Other key lawyers:
Bisera Andrijašević; Mladen Vujić
‘BDK provides user-friendly advice that is very commercial in nature.‘
‘They are very responsive, even taking calls on Christmas Day!‘
‘Dedicated, knowledgeable and experienced professionals who give very direct and useful advice, which is very much appreciated.‘
‘The senior partner was always very much involved in the case, although junior associates did a very good job as well.‘
‘I would underline their readiness for open, honest discussion and exchange of opinions. They did not hesitate to take responsibility for their advice, which is not always the case with lawyers.‘
‘The firm has extensive knowledge and valuable experience in the application of Serbian competition law. The lawyers also excellently connect EU to Serbian rules to achieve a seamless experience for foreign clients who are not familiar with Serbian law.‘
‘Tijana Kojović and attorney at law Mladen Vujić have both consistently provided high-quality legal advice that is commercial in nature. Despite a lack of analogous precedents, they have also been able to assist with a filing strategy that met the client’s commercial imperatives.‘
‘Mladen Vujić has deep knowledge of EU and Serbian competition law, is precise, and always comes up with clear and innovative arguments when applying classic principles.‘
China Road and Bridge Corporation
International Finance Corporation
Metito Utilities Limited
- Represented Fortenova in a landmark gun-jumping investigation before the Serbian Competition Authority.
- Successfully defended Imperial Tobacco against a concerted practice investigation before the Serbian Commission for the Protection of Competition.
- Advised Rio Tinto on the post-accession implications of state aid received prior to Serbia’s proposed accession to the EU.
'A knowledgeable and experienced team that is capable of delivering excellent results,' Gecic Law's EU and competition law practice regularly acts in precedent-setting cases. Bogdan Gecić has significant experience in EU Law and its application to antitrust and competition law; he is also recommended for work involving state aid and trade policy negotiations, as well as investigations. Promoted to counsel in late 2019, Miluša Okiljević's experience includes merger control filings and abuse of dominance cases, while Ivana Stojanović is the senior associate to note.
Other key lawyers:
Miluša Okiljević; Ivana Stojanović
‘The team is particularly competent and very knowledgeable.’
‘The work is performed at various levels, but the partners are always hands-on and actively involved.‘
‘The firm is very well known in Serbia for competition law but also has all the characteristics required by an international law firm, including values and professionalism.‘
‘Clients feel safe that they are in good hands with this firm. The team comprises relatively young lawyers, who are extremely strong and eager to work hard.’
‘A knowledgeable and experienced team that is capable of delivering excellent results.‘
‘A very compact team, with members who are dedicated and co-operative.‘
‘Bogdan Gecić and his team are at our disposal 24/7, and are always incredibly focused on every issue that comes along. The effort that the team puts into achieving our common goals is priceless, and we are very thankful for that. They are approachable, business oriented, and able to produce creative and tailor-made solutions for specific needs. The devotion that the team has shown to us is something we have not experienced with any other law firm.‘
‘Bogdan Gecić is THE name in Serbia for competition law. He is a very knowledgeable, pragmatic, team player; above all, he is a true leader for his team.‘
Government of the Republic of Serbia
FCA Srbija doo Kragujevac
Air Serbia & Etihad Airways
Natural State Science, LLC, State of Arkansas
Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Serbia
Bar Association of Serbia
- Acted in steel sector proceedings (involving Serbia, among others) before the EC, which was in relation to the EU’s response to the US decision to impose tariffs on steel products.
- Advising the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Serbia on the state aid and antitrust issues surrounding the construction of an industrial park in Smederevo.
- Acts (on an ongoing basis) for Telekom Srbija on various competition matters.
'Comprising distinguished lawyers who specialise in different areas of law', JPM Jankovic Popovic & Mitic consistently acts for high-end clients in a range of matters before the competition authorities. In recent highlights, the team advised insurance group Assicurazioni Generali on the merger control procedure surrounding the acquisition of Seguradoras Unidas and Calm Eagle Portugal. Nikola Poznanović, 'who always gives valuable advice to clients', advises on a variety of antitrust and merger control matters. At senior associate level, Bojana Javorić plays a key role in the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Bojana Javoric; Katarina Randjelović
‘The practice comprises distinguished lawyers who specialise in different areas of law.‘
‘They continuously improve their knowledge and analyse all issues completely.‘
‘They try to find the best solutions for each client; and what is important is that they co-operate with clients and listen to their needs, so as to solve the issue legally and to the client’s satisfaction.‘
‘Nikola Poznanović is a great lawyer, who always gives valuable advice to clients, trying to solve problems in the best way. He always points out shortcomings and makes suggestions as to how to overcome them.‘
Karlovarské minerální vody
Banca Generali S.p.A
Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A
Mid Europa Partners
- Assisted Gastrans d.o.o., Novi Sad, the Republic of Serbiawith competition issues in relation to a natural gas infrastructure project.
- Advised insurance group Assicurazioni Generali on a merger control procedure, which concerned the acquisition of Seguradoras Unidas and Calm Eagle Portugal.
- Advised BASF on various competition law issues, including exclusive distribution agreements, individual exemptions and dominant positions.
Karanovic & Partners' 'very efficient, very international team' is widely respected for its handling of complex merger cases before the competition authorities, as well as compliance and antitrust investigations and proceedings. The practice also comprises experts in the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG), pharmaceuticals and TMT sectors. Rastko Petaković consistently advises on complex antitrust matters; and Bojan Vučković has particular expertise in merger control, abuse of dominance and restrictive agreements. Bojana Miljanović is an experienced senior associate.
Rastko Petaković; Bojan Vučković
Other key lawyers:
‘A very efficient, very international team that knows the law very well.‘
‘Strong availability and good to work with.‘
‘Very high-quality law firm for competition law.‘
‘Great knowledge base of competition law theory and practice.‘
‘Rastko Petaković and Bojan Vučković are full of knowledge and experience, and all of them are very business oriented.‘
United Group (Serbia Broadband, Telemach, United Media)
Hyundai, Daimler, Ford, BMW, Porsche
Cinven, KKR, Providence Equity LLP
Optimum Ventures (Optima)
- Successfully assisted MK Group, a regional conglomerate that is active in agriculture, tourism and finance, with obtaining merger clearance for the acquisition of Victoria Group, which produces oilseeds.
- Assisted Hyundai, BMW, Daimler, Ford and Porsche with merger filings, in relation to Hyundai joining Ionity, the European electric car charging network, together with existing shareholders (BMW Group, Ford Motor Company, Porsche AG and Daimler AG).
- Assisted Roaming Electronics, a distributor and retailer of consumer electronics, with a complex Phase II merger case before Serbia’s competition authority, which concerned the merger with WinWin group.
Advising on the full spectrum of competition law matters across all sectors, Moravcevic Vojnovic and Partners in cooperation with Schoenherr is consistently sought out for antitrust investigations, merger control proceedings, damages actions and competition law compliance. Heading the firm's 'outstanding' EU and competition and corporate investigations and crisis management practice groups, Srdjana Petronijević 'handles complex issues with ease and success'; Danijel Stevanović advises on high-profile global and regional merger control cases and antitrust damages actions; and 'incredibly talented' attorney at law Zoran Šoljaga focuses on competition and antitrust matters in Serbia.
Other key lawyers:
Danijel Stevanović; Zoran Šoljaga; Minela Šehović; Jelena Obradović
‘It is valuable to us to have one law firm/point of contact for the entire region and for all possible legal questions.‘
‘When it comes to competition law matters, the Schoenherr team is our first choice.‘
‘They are knowledgeable and experienced lawyers who provide high-quality legal advice. They are also always approachable, and deliver their service in a timely manner.‘
‘One of the key strengths of Schoenherr is that it covers the whole region, which is important for companies that are active in several markets. Having them as our competition law counsel provides us with the confidence that we are fully compliant in each jurisdiction. Regardless of the type of competition law matter, Schoenherr always manages to find the best practical solutions.‘
‘The whole team is outstanding and we only have positive impressions of their work.‘
‘Srdjana Petronijević is our trusted legal counsel. She is efficient and responsive, handling complex issues with ease and success. We recommend her and we will continue cooperating with her on all legal matters in the entire ex-Yugoslavia region.‘
‘Danijel Stevanović is an experienced competition lawyer. He knows the market very well, has excellent legal knowledge, and is always looking for the best possible solution. His negotiation skills and problem-solving ability are also particular strengths.‘
‘Attorney at law Zoran Šoljaga is an expert with vast experience and knowledge. He is incredibly talented and able to think strategically for our business.‘
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Zenith Electronics LLC
Luxoft USA, Inc.
Association of the Serbian Banks
The Association of Serbian Insurance Companies
Japan Tobacco International
- Successfully acted for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on obtaining merger control clearance from the Serbian Competition Authority, as well as in North Macedonia and Albania, for its merger with Peugeot S.A.
- Represented JTI in a landmark antitrust investigation into an alleged cartel between tobacco manufacturers, which concluded with no fine being applied.
- Assists NIKE and Converse (on an ongoing basis) with distribution policy in the region, including representing NIKE before the Competition Authority in relation to the individual exemption of a restrictive agreement.
Bojović Drašković Popović & Partners' 'very client-oriented and practical' team is particularly focused on merger control and abuse of dominant market positions; it is also experienced in advising on vertical and horizontal commercial agreements, as well as assisting with compliance work. In addition, clients benefit from the firm's niche specialisation in US law-compatible advice, through New York Bar-admitted competition head Uroš Popović, who is 'always available, to the point, precise and practical'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very client-oriented and practical team, as well as knowledgable and meticulous.‘
‘Uroš Popović is the attorney that I would choose to advise me – always available, to the point, precise, and practical. He finds solutions.‘
The Association of the Cement Industry of Serbia – CIS
MSC Global Shipping Company
The Walt Disney Company
International Medical Centers
- Advised the Association of the Cement Industry of Serbia on competition compliance issues.
- Advised (alongside Bosnia & Herzegovina’s Dimitrijevic & Partners) International Medical Centers on a complex competition matter.
- Advised MSC Global Shipping Company on a broad range of regulatory compliance matters which included horizontal and vertical agreements and antitrust issues.
'Great for complex, cross-border transactions', Doklestic Repic & Gajin is highly active in antitrust matters (including restrictive agreements and abuse of dominance), merger control, and state aid. Admitted in both Serbia and New York, competition practice head Dragan Gajin is 'an outstanding competition lawyer'; he has sector experience in telecoms, tobacco, aviation, pharmaceuticals, payment services, and distribution and logistics. Providing further partner-level support is Slobodan Doklestic, a specialist in compliance and private antitrust enforcement.
Other key lawyers:
‘Doklestic Repic & Gajin knows its business! There are not that many law firms in Serbia that are knowledgeable in EU law practice, so I am happy I have found them.‘
‘True expertise across different areas of law, including litigation.‘
‘Great for complex, cross-border transactions.‘
‘Doklestic Repic & Gajin provides one point of contact for competition law advice in the entire Western Balkans. This is very useful for us, as it saves time we would otherwise spend contacting different lawyers for each jurisdiction in the region.‘
‘I can recommend Dragan Gajin for his responsiveness and the clear manner in which he delivers his opinions.‘
‘Dragan Gajin is an outstanding competition lawyer with Western standards, which is not to be taken for granted in a country like Serbia.‘
‘Dragan Gajin is a highly experienced lawyer, who is pragmatic and very client oriented.‘
‘I am always amazed by how many areas of law Slobodan Doklestic has deep knowledge of; he is also reliable and discreet.‘
Philip Morris International
- Represented Slovenian Adria Airways in a landmark state aid case concerning government support to Air Serbia.
- Acted for Hungarian energy powerhouse, MOL Group, in obtaining a double merger clearance (in Serbia and Montenegro) for the takeover of Hungarian company, Magyar Gaz Tranzit Zrt.
- Acted for Farmalogist, a Serbian wholesaler of pharmaceuticals, in obtaining a triple merger clearance (in Serbia, Montenegro, and North Macedonia) for a regional transaction.
Law Office Miroslav Stojanovic, in cooperation with Wolf Theiss advises on myriad transactions requiring competition law assistance. Examples include merger filings, leniency programmes, restrictive agreements and dominance issues. Highly regarded counsel Maja Stanković is experienced in merger control and antitrust cases in both Serbia and Montenegro; and experienced senior associate Marina Bulatović also regularly assists with merger control and leniency application cases. Guenter Bauer heads the firm-wide competition and antitrust practice group from Vienna.
Guenter Bauer; Maja Stankovic
Other key lawyers:
NIS (Serbian subsidiary of Gazprom Neft)
- Advised KKR & Co on the Serbian merger control issues surrounding its acquisition of a controlling stake in Axel Springer SE.
- Advised Natura &Co on the Serbian merger control issues concerning its acquisition of Avon Products.
- Advised Lindsay Goldberg on the Serbian merger control aspects of its acquisition of Bilcare Research.
NKO Partners' practice is well known for its experience in complex Serbia-related competition issues. The practice's sector expertise covers real estate, technology, food, pharmaceuticals, tobacco, wholesale and retail. 'A true expert in all competition issues', Djuro Otasevic is competition head; Otasevic’s expertise encompasses representation before the Serbian Competition Commission, Administrative Court and the Supreme Court of Serbia, as well as compliance matters, merger clearances, individual exemptions and state aid. Andjela Mirkovic is an experienced senior associate.
Other key lawyers:
‘What I find great about them is that their advice is always timely and on point.‘
‘NKO did not shy away from digging deep, and really getting to know how both our company and our market operate. Their strengths are definitely extensive experience in the competition arena, sound advice, and quick turnarounds.‘
‘Djuro Otasevic has proven to be a true expert in all competition issues we have dealt with, including bid-rigging, resale price maintenance, exclusivity clauses, and a number of procedural questions.‘
‘Djuro Otasevic has made himself available on short notice on multiple occasions and has shown unparalleled commitment to us as a client. All in all, he is not only a dedicated professional but also a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Andjela Mirkovic is an up-and-coming senior associate who has always been there for us whenever we needed her. She is punctual, pleasant, and knowledgeable – I predict a bright future for her in this field.’
- Advised Dr. Max/Penta Investmenton the competition aspects, including a merger clearance, surrounding a public-private partnership project, which involved the concession for 27 state-owned pharmacies.
- Assisted Konica Minolta with a procedure before the Serbian Competition Commission, which concerned alleged bid rigging in public procurement procedures.
- Successfully assisted Mercata with the merger clearance for a joint venture.
Prica & Partners' 'ability, level of knowledge and expertise exceeded all expectations'. With competition law a core area for the firm, it regularly assists with the competition law aspects of corporate acquisitions, mergers and joint ventures. It also advises on compliance programmes, as well as cases involving restrictive agreements, vertical restraints, abuse of dominant position, alleged cartels, dawn raid investigations and leniency applications. Highly rated partners Darija Ognjenović and Tijana Lalić are the principal advisers.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm was an invaluable asset to the project team; its ability, level of knowledge and expertise exceeded all expectations.‘
‘High levels of expertise and professionalism.‘
GI International SRL
dm drogerie markt
Procter & Gamble
- Assisting the State with the merger clearance for a joint venture with China Road and Bridge Corporation to develop an industrial park project in Belgrade.
- Assisted two large insurance companies with successfully obtaining unconditional merger clearance for the acquisition of three healthcare service providers.
- Assisted GI International SRL with successfully obtaining unconditional merger clearance before the Serbian Competition Authority, in relation to acquiring sole control of Poland’s Work Services S.A.
Radovanović Stojanović & Partners AOD was co-founded in 2021 by Raško Radovanović (the former co-ordinator of the CEE competition practice group at Petrikic & Partneri AOD in cooperation with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz), who brought along former attorney at law Anja Tasić as partner and merger control and state aid practice head. Radovanović's experience includes advising significant market players on the antitrust aspects of everyday business operations, internal investigations, compliance programmes, and risk assessments and mitigating measures.
Boutique practice Subotic & Jevtic - Attorneys at Law 'consists of excellent individuals'. The firm's competition law department is particularly experienced in regulated sectors, such as TMT, IP and banking. 'Undoubtedly a leading competition lawyer', Milica Subotić has built up a track record in headline antitrust cases and non-litigious competition matters, as well as in merger control proceedings. At counsel level, Andreja Petrović has experience in internal and governmental investigations, and regulatory and compliance procedures.
Other key lawyers:
‘The competition team consists of excellent individuals, who are experienced not only in competition law matters but also in several related legal fields, which makes the competition practice stand out from competitors.‘
‘Their main plus is strong dedication and deep understanding of the client’s needs and business, as well as good team work. I strongly recommend this firm.‘
‘The lawyers have great legal and practical knowledge, with its level of competence at a very high level. They are also fast, respectful of deadlines, and have a deep understanding of business.‘
‘The firm is very knowledgeable in different industries in Serbia and the region, but also very familiar with EU practices.‘
‘They are a team of skilled, well-educated lawyers who continuously improve their knowledge.‘
‘They listen to the needs of clients and find legal ways to achieve the client’s aims.‘
‘Milica Subotić is undoubtedly a leading competition lawyer in Serbia, being customer-oriented and flexible with a strong background in competition law.‘
‘Milica Subotić is uniquely intelligent and smart, and always willing to help with advice and support. You can always count on her support – Milica is a gem among our external legal advisers.‘
Zaragoza Properties SOCIMI, S.A.
Payten d.o.o., Belgrade
Business Association of Concrete producers of Serbia
CRH (Srbija) d.o.o.,
Banca Intesa a.d. Belgrade
Mtel a.d. Banja Luka
Asseco SEE d.o.o, Belgrade
Lidl, KD, Serbia
Agri Business Partner d.o.o.
Soko Štark d.o.o.,
Grand Kafa d.o.o.
Palanački Kiseljak d.o.o.
Atlantic Trade d.o.o.
- Advised Logosoft d.o.o. Sarajevoon on abuse of dominant position proceedings before the Competition Authority of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Advised Mtel a.d. Banja Luka on the application of the EU regulatory framework in relation to electronic communications.
- Assisted Zaragoza Properties SOCIMI, S.A. with a merger control matter in Montenegro.
Petrikic & Partneri AOD in cooperation with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz's team has experience acting for multinational clients across a range of competition matters. Srđan Janković's expertise extends across both competition law and public procurement and he is also able to draw on his previous experience with the Serbian Commission for Protection of Competition.
Other key lawyers:
British American Tobacco (BAT)
OTP Bank Group
fischer automotive systems GmbH & Co. KG
'An outstanding law firm with an exceptional team', BOPA Bojanovic & Partners' competition practice predominantly advises on abuse of dominance, restrictive covenants and merger filings. 'A leading competition lawyer who truly understands the market and client needs', Vladimir Bojanović heads the competition and antitrust department; his sector expertise includes infrastructure, pharmaceuticals, TMT, retail, FMCG and transport.
‘They handle competition issues with ease.‘
‘Truly premium market players.‘
‘Outstanding law firm with an exceptional team.‘
‘Great quality control systems and continuous education throughout the whole firm. We are very pleased to have them as our legal advisers – they are as good as it gets.’
‘A domestic law firm with international law firm standards; it is also reliable and knowledgeable.‘
‘Vladimir Bojanović is extremely resourceful. He is the best competition lawyer I know, with a remarkable sense of balance between law and business.‘
‘Vladimir Bojanović is a distinguished professional, but the whole team is consistent in quality.‘
‘Vladimir Bojanović is a leading competition lawyer, who truly understands the market and client needs.‘
Pozavarovalnica Sava, d.d., Ljubljana, Slovenia
Barry-Wehmiler Design Group
- Advised US-based Barry-Wehmiller, a global supplier of manufacturing technology, on the complex merger clearance surrounding the acquisition of 60% of the shares in Serbian company STAX Technologies.
- Assisted the Post Office of Slovenia with the mandatory takeover procedure regarding the acquisition of Serbian joint stock company Intereuropa, which included the analysis of abuse of dominant position and restrictive clauses.
- Assisted with the merger notification surrounding the acquisition of shares in NLB VITA, življenjska zavarovalnica d.d. Ljubljana.
Joksovic, Stojanovic & Partners' competition law team is 'direct, to the point, and provides practical solutions'. The practice has significant experience in acting for multinationals, and local and regional companies; and it specialises in competition law involving both the Republic of Serbia and Montenegro. Senior partners Milan Joksovic and Petar Stojanovic are highly regarded.
Milan Joksovic; Petar Stojanovic
‘JSP is a longstanding reliable partner; the team is familiar with all our legal matters, especially those related to competition ones.‘
‘It is direct, to the point, and provides practical solutions.‘
Merck Sharp & Dohme (MSD)
- Advised Freeport McMoRan on the competition law aspects of the up-to $390m sale of its copper and gold assets in Serbia to Zijin Mining.
- Advised Elekta Group on potential competition law implications, arising from the termination of a long-term distribution agreement with Serbian-based distributor Maxteam.
- Advised GrECo International Holding on the competition law implications surrounding the sale of JLT to Marsh and a subsequent buy-back transaction.
The broad practice of Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW)'s senior partner Nenad Stankovic includes merger clearances, as well as cartel and abusive behaviour cases. At counsel level, Milos Androvic's expertise covers abuse of dominance claims, restrictive agreements, merger control work and corporate compliance matters.
Milos Androvic; Nenad Stankovic
Other key lawyers:
Apatinska pivara Apatin (Molson Coors)
GlaxoSmithKline Export Ltd. UK
Public utilities company Elektroprivreda Srbije (JP EPS)
Raiffeisen Bank Belgrade
- Advised Apatinska Pivara (part of the Molson Coors group) on the competition aspects of agreements, in relation to sales and distribution, as well as advising on its business and sales compliance policies.
- Acts for Imlek AD on key agreements, which relate to the production of milk and dairy products, and whether these fall under the exemption regime.
Zivkovic & Samardzic Law Office
'Fully capable of handling cases and transactions of every complexity', Zivkovic & Samardzic Law Office has longstanding experience in handling complex merger notifications; the practice also acts in major competition cases, including alleged abuse of dominance and cartel proceedings. 'Highly competent in competition law', Slobodan Kremenjak acts for telecoms, media, financial services and energy clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘Zivkovic & Samrdzic is fully capable of handling cases and transactions of every complexity.‘
‘This law office has broad knowledge of both local and international laws; it has a dynamic and experienced team, where each member has his/her own specialty and is always available to satisfy clients’ needs on time with client-oriented solutions.‘
‘Slobodan Kremenjak is an outstanding person and professional, who is very well connected and experienced; he is also pragmatic and proactive, providing the best solutions for clients.‘
‘Slobodan Kremenjak is highly competent in competition law, and always up to date with the competition market’s highlights and development.‘
PETROL d.d., Ljubljana
Kopernikus Group (Serbia)
Prva televizija, Belgrade
- Advised the parent company of a large Slovenian energy group on the Serbian competition law aspects of its acquisition of control of E 3, ENERGETIKA, EKOLOGIJA, EKONOMIJA, d.o.o., another Slovenian energy company.
- Advised the parent company of a Slovenian energy group on the Serbian competition law aspects (and co-ordinated filings in North Macedonia and Bosnia and Herzegovina) of the acquisition of a Serbian energy company.
- Advised the parent company of the Sava Insurance Group on the Serbian competition law aspects of its acquisition of INFOND, one of the largest fund managers in Slovenia.