Health in Scotland
CMS has a fine reputation in advising NHS, private sector healthcare sector players, building contractors and funders on major health and social care projects - with particular expertise in the acute care sector - including procurement, financing, commercial and transactional matters as well as associated disputes. Team head Amanda Methven handles the full range of contentious and non-contentious healthcare sector work; her team includes Jenny Walker, who made partner in May 2020 and is frequently involved in projects work, most notably in the acute sector.
‘Organised and professional with a fair and pragmatic approach to legal advice.’
‘Jenny Walker is thoroughly decent, intelligent and experienced.’
NHS National Services Scotland (NSS)
University of Glasgow
NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde (NHS GG)
NHS National Services (NSS)
Clydesdale Bank plc
Scottish Futures Trust
Cindat Capital Management
- Advising NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde on the £70m project to complete primary, community and mental health facilities in Glasgow.
- Advising NHS National Services Scotland (NSS) on strategic outsourcing projects for the Scottish Wide Area Network, and on the Community Health Index.
- Advising 3i Infrastructure on variations at existing Scottish acute healthcare projects.
- Advising Cindat Capital Management on the acquisition of the remaining 49% interest in a portfolio of 67 care homes across the UK in a joint venture with the US REIT, Omega Healthcare Investors.
- Reappointed by the University of Glasgow to advise on the second phase of its campus development, including the procurement of a new research building, the Clarice Pears Institute of Health and Wellbeing.
Brodies LLP's multidisciplinary team has been particularly active providing public bodies and private nursing care home operators with investment, funding, corporate and transactional advice. It also has a notable regulatory practice, handling judicial reviews, investigation by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency and claims against healthcare bodies, among other contentious matters. Team head Jackie McGuire has extensive experience of social care regulations.
Other key lawyers:
‘Brodies has served our needs during the last few years with great competency.‘
‘Excellent communicators who give wise advice.‘
‘I have been working with Brodies for almost 10 years and I have found them to be extremely helpful, knowledgeable and always prepared to go the extra mile when presented with an enquiry no matter how challenging or complicated. The firm has an extensive knowledge of the public sector in Scotland and is well respected throughout local government and the health sectors.‘
‘Jackie McGuire has considerable experience of Scottish local government in particular and she has given me excellent advice on current topics and challenges as well as putting me in touch with the right people when I have asked her advice on possible speakers for our health & social care events.‘
‘Jackie McGuire is always approachable and has excellent people skills and is well respected amongst her peers.‘
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Aortech Biomaterials Plc
WL Gore & Associates
The University of Edinburgh
Mirador Analytics Limited
Care UK Homecare Ltd
Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care
Cross Healthcare Ltd
Balhousie Care Group
Omega Diagnostics Ltd
Perth and Kinross Council
Meallmore Care Group
Parklands Care Group
- Advised Hutton Park Limited on a statutory intervention by the Care Inspectorate.
- Advised Little Sisters of the Poor on its group structure.
- Advised Perth and Kinross Council on its power to charge for and to recover the cost of residential care.
- Acting as First Standing Junior Counsel to the Scottish Government in defending a judicial review brought by SPUC pertaining to the government’s decision to approve the taking of abortion medication at home rather than in a clinic.
With projects and construction specialist Chris MacKay in the lead, Burness Paull LLP is well placed to assist NHS trusts, local authorities and other public as well as private sector players with large-scale healthcare projects, including construction, procurement, property and investment matters, alongside associated disputes. Its expertise also extends to transactional work, particularly in the care home sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘Easy to work with and responsive.‘
‘Great property support on health work.‘
hub West Scotland Limited
Hamberley Care Homes
Smith & Nephew Orthopaedics Limited
Hub Community Foundation (and its non-charitable trading subsidiary, HCF Investments Limited)
British Medical Association
Highlands and Islands Enterprise
- Advising hub West Scotland Limited/ hub West Project Company (No.7) Limited on the second phase of the financing, design, construction and provision of services at the new Clydebank Health & Care Centre by varying the earlier project agreement which dealt with Greenock Health & Care Centre and additional ward buildings at Stobhill Hospital.
- Advising NHS Lothian on the potential for hub South East Scotland to make use of a variant of the Welsh Mutual Investment Model as a vehicle for the future delivery of revenue-funded projects, in particular phase 2 of the Royal Edinburgh Hospital.
- Advising the British Medical Association on a project pertaining to GP sustainability loans.
- Assisted NHS Lothian with two DBDA projects: Firstly, a phased project to refurbish the Jardine Clinic building on the Royal Edinburgh Hospital campus and to demolish certain surrounding hospital buildings to enable the development of the site; and, secondly, with a project for the refurbishment of a school building to provide a health and care centre, the Panmure St Ann’s centre.
- Advising Highlands and Islands Enterprise on the procurement and construction of a multi-purpose facility consisting of an Elective Care Centre for NHS Highland (NHSH), teaching and research facility for the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) and commercial space for Highlands and Islands Enterprise.
MacRoberts LLP's extensive client roster includes health boards, public sector bodies, private sector contractors and private healthcare businesses, who regularly retain the team led by corporate lawyer David Wylie to assist with sector-specific transactions, alongside investments and healthcare developments, including construction and procurement matters.
Renaissance Care Group
Coalition of Care and Support Providers Scotland
Boston Scientific Corporation
University of Dundee
- Acting for NHS Lothian in all issues arising as a result of the defects and delays to the opening of the new £150m Royal Hospital for Children and Young People and Department of Clinical Neuroscience at Little France in Edinburgh.
- Advising Clydeside Regeneration Limited on the sale of a site for a new health centre into the ongoing £250m mixed-use regeneration project on the site of the former John Brown’s shipyard in Clydebank, Glasgow.
- Acted for Dears Health Group in a series of related transactions: (1) a £25m management buy-out of existing shareholders, (2) the acquisition of Rosewell Group for £6m, (3) the acquisition of Oakly Health for £3.2m, (4) the purchase of JJB Dick for circa £1m; and (5) a refinance of the group to support each of the acquisitions.
- Acted for Black & Lizars Limited, one of Scotland’s most well-established optometrists and eye care service companies, in the sale of nine branches to Duncan and Todd.
- We acted for Clyde Munro Dental Group in the purchase of M&S Dental Care Ltd, a company operating dental practices in Fort William and Glencoe.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP is best known for its sector-specific transactional and commercial work but it also assists with large healthcare developments. Clients include investors, public and private sector health care providers and local authorities. Team head and corporate lawyer Stuart Barr advises investors, lenders and procuring authorities on a wide range of PPP and infrastructure projects.
Highland Health Board
Lone Star Real Estate Fund
- Advised Induction Healthcare on its £34m AIM IPO.
- Advised the Highland Health Board on the design and construction of a replacement community hospital and health and care facilities.
Shepherd and Wedderburn
Shepherd and Wedderburn has a focus on providing major care home operators and developers alongside healthcare investment funds with M&A, corporate restructuring and finance assistance. Handling real estate management as well as contentious and non-contentious construction instructions constitutes another key element of the practice led by director John Elder, who advises on the full range of property matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘We are pleased with the speed and quality of the firm’s input’.
Four Seasons Health Care Group
Primary Health Properties plc
Collagen Solutions plc
Caring Homes Group
Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale (Nord/LB)
Highlands and Islands Enterprise
NHS Dumfries and Galloway
- Advised Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale (Nord/LB) on the £45m financing of the project to deliver Clydebank Health and Care Centre, Greenock Health and Care Centre and the Stobhill Hospital Adult Acute and Elderly Continuing Care Facility for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.
- Advised Primary Health Properties plc on its Scottish investment portfolio.
- Advised Collagen Solutions plc, a global supplier, developer and manufacturer of medical grade collagen, tissues and related medical devices and components, on the development of its ChondroMimetic business and other key agreements.
- Acted for Simply UK in the purchase of sites for a new 74-bed care home in Bridge of Weir and purchased further sites for care home development, including sites at Musselburgh, Stirling and Perth.
- Advised Four Seasons Health Care Group on the ongoing restructuring and refinancing process.
Anderson Strathern provides a broad range of services to health and social care sector players and is particularly known for its public law expertise. Clients include regulators, medical professional associations, pharmacy chains and private healthcare providers. Catriona Watt heads the team and is noted for her regulatory expertise.
Davidson Chalmers Stewart puts particular emphasis on advising medical and dental partnerships on a wide range of matters, most notably in the transactional, corporate and commercial space, while also providing regular assistance with lease agreements and disputes. Corporate lawyer Craig Stirling and commercial property development and construction specialist Andy Drane jointly head the practice.
An excellent knowledge base and joined-up thinking.’
‘A very personal service – they take the time to fully understand your needs.’
Portman Dental Care
Clyde Munro Dental Group
Family Dental Care East Lothian
Ambicare Health Limited
Anstruther Medical Practice
Airthrey Park Medical Practice
Ardach Medical Practice
Aviemore Medical Practice
Baronscourt Medical Practice
Brown & Brown Limited
- Acted for Clyde Munro Dental Group in the acquisition of multiple dental practices across Scotland.
- Instructed by all three NHS GP practices that occupy Stirling Care Village to advise on commercial terms with NHS Forth Valley.
- Acting alongside a London law firm in the acquisition by the client Stonehealth Alpha of four Scottish surgery investments which were leased to NHS medical practices as part of a eleven-property portfolio across the UK.
- Acting for Riverside Medical Practice LLP in renegotiating its contractual arrangements with NHS Lothian.
- Acted for Curry DC Limited in the acquisition of the largely private Park Avenue Dental Practice in Stirling.
Thorntons Law LLP
Thorntons Law LLP has a strong track record advising dental and veterinary practices alongside pharmacies on business sales and purchases which is complemented by its capabilities to provide assistance with partnership buy-ins and exits, partnership agreements, compliance and regulatory matters. Corporate lawyer Michael Royden and commercial property expert Ewan Miller jointly head the practice, which includes associate Kim Campbell; her broad corporate and commercial expertise also extends to regulatory and registration requirements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Approachable, thorough and calm. Their use of the team was impressive and seamless – really reassured to work with different individuals on their own areas of expertise.‘
‘Compassionate, empathetic and really involved in the transaction. They all went above and beyond throughout the process.‘
‘Specialist knowledge of the dental sector. Responsive and highly professional.‘
‘Friendly straightforward advice. Extremely easy to do business with. Good understanding of the sectors we deal in with a good range of expertise in different members of their team.‘
‘Trustworthy and experienced in the dental sector.‘
‘Approachable and highly knowledgeable.‘
‘Michael Royden was efficient and organised with excellent communication. He provided excellent guidance throughout the process of selling our business.‘
Clyde Vets Limited
Walter Davidson & Sons Limited
Shareholders of PGD Healthcare Ltd
Drs Scott and Amy Tulloch of Orkney Dental
Dr Mark Donaldson of Balmoor Dental Surgeries
Simon and Sharon Morrow of Tomorrow Healthcare Limited
Deans Medicare Ltd
Dr Abraham McCarthy of Clear Dental Spa Limited
John and Fiona Moore – Gilmore Dental Practice
- Advised Clyde Vet Group on the sale of its large multi-site veterinary practice to one of the UK’s largest veterinary corporate groups.
- Advised Deans Medicare Ltd on its acquisition of a multi-site pharmacy operator on the West Coast of Scotland for a sum in excess of £4.5m.
- Advised the partners of Central Orthodontics on the sale of their orthodontic practice to one of the UK’s largest corporate dental operators.
- Assisted Walter Davidson & Sons Ltd with its acquisition of Hutchison Healthcare Limited.