Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution: Litigation
Melnitsky & Zakharov, Attorneys at Law
Our main specialization is the resolution of complex commercial and administrative disputes of participants in the markets of telecommunications, metallurgy, gas and oil industry, gold mining, infrastructure and capital construction, transport, and investment activities. The practice of our team includes the experience of successfully representing the interests of principals in the Supreme Arbitration Court of …View Profile...
Dispute resolution: Litigation in Russia
Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners fields one of the largest full-service dispute resolution teams, which attracts praise from clients and peers for its national and international litigation strength. The group also has expertise in criminal matters, acting before law enforcement authorities and criminal courts; the team’s experience also notably includes cross-border cooperation with Interpol. Valery Eremenko leads the department, where recently promoted partner Vera Rikhterman and counsel Tatiana Neveeva are also standout practitioners. Managing partner Ivan Smirnov and counsel Evgeny Gurchenko are the key contracts in St. Petersburg. Dmitry Dyakin left the firm in 2020.
‘The team is superbly professional, proactive, creative and client-oriented; it always demonstrates perseverance and perfect commercial knowledge across multiple industries. All team members, including the associates, have excellent rhetorical skills.‘
‘Some clients treat the team as their last hope. That is why we hired Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners and it successfully represented our interests in litigation proceedings. The firm’s dispute resolution lawyers have remarkable professional instincts, they are attentive to details, and thoroughly review everything concerning a matter. They build up comprehensive and innovative, yet efficient strategies, which lead to outstanding results.‘
‘EPAM is one of the few firms on the market that has such diversified capacities and expertise in the resolution of all types of disputes.‘
‘Lawyers’ unique litigation expertise is reinforced by their sector-specific knowledge in sectors such as IP, shipping, transport, customs, real estate, and multiple others.‘
‘We collaborated with Egorov, Puginsky, Afanasiev & Partners in St. Petersburg. We are convinced that the team has the best experience in this region, particularly in the field of transport.‘
‘Valery Eremenko is a very skilled and well-connected lawyer — this presents him with the opportunity to come up with more creative solutions while remaining able to see the bigger picture. He is a true strategist aiming at winning the war, not just a particular battle.‘
‘Evgeny Gurchenko is a remarkable lawyer with a lot of charisma. Evgeny is highly skilled in litigation, having a flawless reputation on the market due to his creativity, dedication and bags of experience.‘
‘Vera Rikhterman demonstrates absolute professionalism and brilliance in working on the most complex matters.‘
Northern Capital Gateway Consortium
- Acted for RusVinyl in a dispute at the Russian Federation Chamber of Commerce with a Russian construction company, arising from a construction contract.
- Acting for Safmar in a corporate dispute.
- Representing UK Investment Management in a case brought against Otkritie Bank for the recovery of $250m in damages resulting from the bank’s failure to acquire corporate bonds issued by Otkritie Holding.
Monastyrsky, Zyuba, Stepanov & Partners acts in a wide range of domestic and cross-border cases, and is particularly recommended for its expertise in complex corporate and commercial litigation. Founding partner Yuri Monastyrsky has broad sector-specific expertise and stands out for his knowledge of the banking sector. Dmitry Lovyrev is a key contact for corporate litigation and shareholder disputes, IP litigation and criminal proceedings, while Anton Aleksandrov focuses on debt recovery and insolvency claims, antitrust disputes and contentious IP work. Senior associate Igor Melnikov is also singled out.
Yuri Monastyrsky; Dmitry Lovyrev; Anton Aleksandrov
‘Several things set the team apart from others: its willingness to assist even with the most complicated cases, its aspiration to find the client’s way out of the most difficult situation, and its deep knowledge and understanding of different areas of the law.‘
‘Monastyrsky, Zyuba, Stepanov & Partners is fantastic in complex commercial and tax litigation. Lawyers from different teams are able to work together and handle difficult cases efficiently and in a timely manner.‘
‘Anton Alexandrov and Igor Melnikov are both client-oriented and very good team players; it is always a pleasure to work with them.‘
Novorossiysk Sea Port
Primorsk Sea Port
- Acting for Sistema, its subsidiaries and directors in a ₽2.1bn claim by Sberbank for the recovery of loan.
- Acting for a Baring Vostok’s employee, who holds a stake in Vostochny Bank, in a claim for damages brought against Artem Avetisian and Alla Tsitovich, a majority shareholder and a former CEO of Uniastrum Bank, respectively; the claim arises out of the 2017 merger between Uniastrum Bank and Vostochny Bank.
- Acting for pension fund Buduschee in its claim against Turst Bank seeking the recovery of ₽12bn for its failure to conduct a mandatory share buyout.
ALRUD Law Firm focuses on general commercial litigation and has extensive experience acting in disputes in the financial services, energy, technology, retail and transport sectors. The department's precedent-setting work in the corporate litigation space also stands out; it recently represented Sova Capital in a precedent-setting corporate dispute for the recovery of $200m in losses. Sergey Petrachkov heads up the practice and specialises in bankruptcy-related litigation; Magomed Gasanov is a standout practitioner in civil litigation and white-collar crime proceedings; and clients also single out senior associate Dmitry Kuptsov.
‘The team is creative, knowledgeable, precise and reliable.‘
‘Outstanding capabilities in cross-border litigation‘
‘Sergey Petrachkov is a very competent professional.‘
‘Senior associate Dmitry Kuptsov is an exceptional lawyer.‘
General Motors Uzbekistan
Sberbank Europe AG
Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers B.V.
Swissquote Bank AS
Armstrong World Industries
Shreya Life Sciences LLC
- Successfully represented retailer Auchan in a dispute relating to the demolition of an allegedly illegally constructed shopping centre.
- Represented UK investment company Sova Capital in a precedent-setting corporate dispute for the recovery of $200m in losses.
- Acting for manufacturer SSI Schäfer in an insurance dispute for the recovery of $50m losses caused by a collapsed shelf in a warehouse.
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited acts for its corporate clients in all types of commercial disputes and disputes with public authorities. Team members handle litigation in their key areas of specialism: department head Edward Bekeschenko is an expert in the IT and TMT space; Vladimir Khvalei is a go-to contact for arbitration-related proceedings; and Denis Khabarov is a notable figure in IP-related litigation. Counsel Anton Maltsev is noted for his expertise in corporate litigation.
‘Top-drawer technical skills and deep legal expertise’
‘The team works very well even under tight deadlines, and excels in high-profile commercial litigation.‘
‘Vladimir Khvalei is highly skilled and reliable. He has a deep legal expertise with a great experience.‘
‘Anton Maltsev is able to provide pragmatic and commercial advice.‘
Plum Blossom LLC
- Successfully represented Doosan Infracore in proceedings relating to an alleged software infringement and breach of contract.
- Represented Plum Blossom, as a developer and investor of a high-end residential development in St. Petersburg, in a legal case contesting amendments to the law of St. Petersburg on zoning public green territories.
- Acting for Gilead Pharmasset in defence of its patent in Russia for the blockbuster medication Sovaldi.
The litigation group at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP has extensive experience acting for claimants, defendants and interested parties across a wide range of sectors, including the fast-moving consumer goods, retail, energy, telecoms, IT and financial services industries. Elena Trusova is a key practitioner on the IP litigation front; and Ivan Veselov specialises in litigation with a corporate or commercial focus, as well as high-profile bankruptcy-related claims. Oleg Arkhipov is also noted.
Elena Trusova; Ivan Veselov; Oleg Arkhipov
‘The team combines creativity with dedication, particularly in the field of IT-related disputes; it is also client-oriented, professional, as well as effective in offering solutions.‘
‘Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner has both international experience and thorough knowledge of the local legal environment. As a result, the team is able to handle complex issues across a broad range of areas.’
‘Elena Trusova is a charismatic speaker.‘
‘Ivan Veselov is an outstanding litigator, who offers clients feasible solutions.‘
‘Evgeny Oreshin and Oleg Arkhipov immerse into the problems of their clients and keep their focus on bringing positive results.‘
Prosveshcheniye Publishing House
Tokyo Broadcasting System Inc.
- Acting for Double Data in a high-profile dispute against social network VKontakte concerning the use of big data and the function of search engines.
- Representing Prosveshcheniye Publishing House in litigation concerning the protection of trade mark rights.
- Acting for Tokyo Broadcasting System in a complex dispute over the use of the name of one of its TV shows.
Dentons’ dispute resolution department focuses on high-value commercial disputes. Team members act for clients in the state commercial courts, among other legal forums, and are also adept at handling issues at the Eurasian Economic Union level. St. Petersburg-based Mikhail Ivanov heads up the wider dispute resolution group and specialises in claims between foreign investors and domestic companies. Roman Zaitsev leads the team in Moscow and is a seasoned practitioner in civil and corporate litigation.
Mikhail Ivanov; Roman Zaitsev
‘Dentons houses one of the strongest practices specialising in litigation and international arbitration in Russia, considering the knowledge and expertise of its lawyers, the success rate in handling disputes, and the high-profile nature of its clients.‘
‘Roman Zaitsev is a tough negotiator, who is able to develop successful litigation strategies even in the most complex disputes.‘
‘Mikhail Ivanov is a very reliable and reputable professional.‘
- Representing iHerb in a series of disputes against the public authorities relating to its decision to shut down iHerb’s website and mobile application in Russia.
- Acting for Ikea in a dispute regarding land plots formerly owned by the Saratov Aviation Plant.
- Represented Sidel as secured creditor in the bankruptcy proceedings of OOO Natsionalnaya Vodnaya Kompanya.
Hogan Lovells (CIS)’s dispute resolution practice houses specialists in Russian and English law. The department is a one-stop shop for contentious matters relating to regulations, fraud and insolvency issues, and investigations. The team is also adept at handling cross-border disputes thanks to the global strength of the firm’s network and the internationally oriented experience of practice head Alexei Dudko. Clients also single out counsel Denis Almakaev.
‘A well-organised team with a strong work ethic, which is not afraid to put in the hours in working hard on complex issues, when necessary.‘
‘Hogan Lovells Russia is great at handling complex and high-profile litigation, especially if it involves cross-border issues. All members of the team are very experienced, knowledgeable, commercially minded and result-oriented. What makes the team unique is the ability to always do its job perfectly, with everyone staying cool under any circumstances.‘
‘Alexei Dudko and counsel Denis Almakaev not only have strong legal minds, but are also practical in their approach to problem-solving.‘
‘Alexei Dudko is a great strategic thinker; he is very well versed in cross-border litigation and is able to provide top-notch advice.‘
‘Counsel Denis Almakaev is an outstanding team member: he is a tremendously talented lawyer with great litigation experience. What is also important, he has a great manner with clients and really cares about their interests.‘
Russian Deposit Insurance Agency
Metal One UK
- Representing the Deposit Insurance Agency in claims concerning fraud and insolvency issues brought against Russian oligarch Sergei Pugachev.
- Acting for Metal One UK in bankruptcy and commercial litigation aimed at the recovery of a $3m debt from a steel billets producer.
- Represented UOP Limited in contentious issues concerning the insolvency of Oil Gas Trade LLC.
KIAP (Korelskiy, Ischuk, Astafiev and Partners, Attorneys at Law) stands out in the market through its focus on litigation, particularly in the retail, industrial manufacturing, energy and insurance sectors. Managing partner Andrey Korelskiy leads the practice and is a key adviser to clients involved in bankruptcy-related contentious matters; Ilya Dedkovskiy is also a noteworthy practitioner for insolvency litigation. Anna Grishchenkova is praised as 'a personable and knowledgeable litigator'.
‘A unique team of highly professional lawyers and attorneys‘
‘The team is very focused on the needs of the client and treats every client as if they are the most important one. All our problems have always been solved efficiently and quickly, since lawyers work around the clock to help.‘
‘Strong experts in the sphere of criminal law; the team is special due to its creative approach, quick daily communication with the client, and its efficiency in bringing results.‘
‘A true star in litigation, Andrey Korelskiy knows how to manage a team effectively, as he is a strong and motivated lawyer himself.‘
‘Anna Grishchenkova has vast experience in handling wide range of disputes; she is a personable and knowledgeable litigator.‘
UTair Aviation JSC
- Representing Codest in a construction case brought against a subcontractor.
- Acted for Fosun in a dispute with state authorities concerning the value of a $280m property.
- Represented the former CEO of a Russian chain of clothing stores in proceedings concerning financial losses incurred by the company.
Muranov, Chernyakov & Partners handles cross-border and domestic litigation including commercial, financial and contractual disputes. The team also has notable strength in contentious regulatory work. Dmitry Chernyakov, Alexander Muranov and Oleg Moskvitin are the key figures.
JSC Podolsk Electrical Assembly Products Plant
PJSC IDGC of Siberia
PJSC Detsky Mir
- Represented Yokaboo Services in proceedings concerning the recovery of loan interest.
- Representing PJSC Moesk in a case before the Commercial Court of Moscow seeking invalidation of an action by the Department of Economic Policy and Development of Moscow.
- Defending JSC Podolsk Electrical Assembly Products Plant in proceedings seeking the invalidation of a decision by the Federal Antimonopoly Service.
Norton Rose Fulbright is increasingly instructed by clients in general banking, debt recovery and insolvency-related disputes. Elsewhere in the bankruptcy litigation space, the team’s recent work concerning the liability of controlling persons is also noteworthy. The department has substantial expertise in insurance litigation, for which counsel Alexey Borodak is the key contact. Yaroslav Klimov heads up the practice and has extensive experience in cross-border litigation in CIS countries and across Europe.
International Finance Corporation
- Defended the International Finance Corporation against subsidiary liability claims totalling $55m concerning the bankruptcy of Home Center.
VEGAS LEX excels in the energy space, and the team also stands out for its broad sector-specific experience across the retail, pharmaceuticals, insurance and financial services industries. Core areas of focus include corporate and commercial disputes, bankruptcy-related proceedings and antitrust cases. Victor Petrov heads up the litigation practice, which also counts managing partner Alexander Sitnikov and energy department head Evgeniy Rodin as key figures.
‘The team offers an exceptionally high-quality level of expertise and client service, particularly in the energy sector. Team members provide practical and efficient advice.‘
‘The strengths of Vegas Lex lie in the dispute resolution team’s availability for different types of disputes, as well as in its very active support of the client when a dispute arises. The team has excellent knowledge of the judicial process and of all relevant legislation. The client also benefits from the thorough preliminary opinions provided, whereby the team describes, outlines and evaluates all possible courses of action with regard to a particular dispute.‘
‘The response speed is uniquely high compared to all other firms I have previously worked with.‘
‘In law school, a future lawyer is told to be highly professional, respond (almost) immediately and be your top self. Sadly, not all practitioners carry this forward, but the litigation team at Vegas Lex does, which is what makes it unique and valuable.‘
‘Victor Petrov and Evgeniy Rodin both deserve to be mentioned as high-profile litigators.‘
‘Victor Petrov is one of the most productive and reliable partners in legal services I have ever worked with – he is a stress-resistant, proactive and open-minded person with high interpersonal skills.‘
‘Viktor Petrov is a skilled, quick and smart professional, who places the interests of the client ahead of the firm’s own profit considerations.‘
- Successfully defended Moek in a $1.5bn dispute against the Federal Antimonopoly Service of Russia.
- Successfully defended Giredmet in a dispute with PharmEngineering relating to a $106m investment contact for the redevelopment of a land plot in Moscow.
- Defended Fortum against public defamation claims for damages amounting to $60m.
Led by UK-qualified practice head Julia Zagonek, White & Case LLC has a notable success rate in cases at the Supreme Court level. The litigation team is particularly recognised for acting for creditors and debtors in domestic and cross-border insolvency proceedings; counsel Pavel Boulatov is the key contact in this area. The team also has a strong general commercial and competition litigation practice thanks to the expertise of senior associate Anton Vasin.
Credit Europe Bank
Dekhkanabad Potash Plant LLC
- Acting for Credit Europe Bank in insolvency proceedings and other related disputes against Art Aztek and its beneficiaries in Russia.
- Representing UniCredit Bank as creditor in proceedings relating to the bankruptcy of Probusinessbank.
- Representing Dekhkanabad Potash Plant in a number of cross-border disputes with its Russian contractor, ZUMK-Engineering relating to the construction of a potash plant in Uzbekistan.
Clifford Chance’s varied sector experience makes it a destination for clients in the oil and gas, banking and financial services, pharmaceuticals and life sciences, transport and consumer goods industries seeking representation in disputes. The department is led by ‘reputable litigator’ Timur Aitkulov, while senior associates Dmitry Malukevich and Olga Semushina are other key names to note.
‘The team punches above its weight in providing support to clients during high-profile litigation.‘
‘Olga Semushina is a senior associate who is very dedicated to the client and the cases that she handles. Olga provides thoughtful advice and has the ability to run very complex regulatory disputes.‘
- Represented Sakhalin-1 consortium members in a dispute against Rosneft regarding subsoil use in Sakhalin.
DLA Piper is a go-to firm for domestic and international clients for corporate, commercial, administrative and regulatory disputes at all levels of the Russian judicial system. Commercial litigator Yaroslav Moshennikov heads up the national litigation and regulatory department, while former judge Oleg Skvortsov leads the team in St. Petersburg. Counsel Alexander Sergeev is also a key figure in the Moscow civil and IP ligation space, and director Angela Kolesnitskaya has a successful track record in tax and commercial disputes.
Yaroslav Moshennikov; Oleg Skvortsov
‘DLA Piper’s team is very commercial, responsive and highly professional. Its advice is of top quality and the solutions offered are original and creative.‘
MC Aviation Partners (MCAP)
Rossiya Airlines JSC
Pulkovo Airport JSC
Mario Frigerio S.p.A.
Procter & Gamble
A J Walter Aviation
- Representing MC Aviation Partners, the leasing arm of Mitsubishi Corporation, in bankruptcy proceedings relating to Vim Avia airline.
- Represented Gett in multiple litigation proceedings across Russia arising from its acquisition of a regional taxi business.
- Represented InnerWorkings in a dispute with the Russian customs authorities regarding customs tariff classifications of packaging materials.
FBK Legal’s dispute resolution group is divided between Moscow and St. Petersburg and is headed up by Alexander Ermolenko and Nina Boer, respectively. The practice adopts a multidisciplinary integrated approach and regularly cooperates with the firm’s tax, competition, IP and energy teams. The department’s client base primarily consists of large public and private companies and high-net-worth individuals. Elena Bokareva and Sergey Ermolenko are also key figures in the Moscow-based team.
Alexander Ermolenko; Nina Boer
‘Communication is extremely important during high-value litigation. This is why we choose FBK Legal –the team is quick, responsive, and inspires trust in clients.‘
‘Comprehensive support during various types of litigations, ranging from corporate matters to debt collection and advertising‘
‘Alexander Ermolenko is able to build a strong case while remaining calm and friendly.‘
‘Sergei Ermolenko is a skilful litigator who is always ready to come up with creative solutions.‘
Actavis/ Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Yamaha Motor CIS
NGK Spark Plugs
Russian Fishery Company
Central Geological Company
- Acting for Russian Fishery Company in a dispute concerning control over foreign investment.
- Representing Tomskgazprom in multiple disputes against Rosprirodnadzor concerning statutory pollution charges.
- Representing Yamaha Motor CIS in a variety of bankruptcy-related proceedings.
Ivanyan and Partners is recognised for its strength in bankruptcy-related proceedings, which is a key area for standout practitioner Alexey Kozyakov in St. Petersburg. In the Moscow office, Sergey Chuprygin acts for clients in general commercial disputes and IP-related claims. Alongside its international commercial litigation expertise, the group also has experience handling contentious issues relating to public international law, which is a notable area of strength for Vasily Torkanovskiy. Name partner Khristofor Ivanyan focuses on general corporate and shareholder disputes.
Sergey Chuprygin; Alexey Kozyakov; Vasily Torkanovskiy; Khristofor Ivanyan
Crudex Energy International
HC Spartak Moscow
- Representing HC Spartak Moscow in a dispute regarding the IP rights for the sculpture Homunculus Loxodontus.
- Representing Russian steel company Severstal in bankruptcy proceedings totalling $300m against the operator of one of the largest iron ore deposits in Russia.
- Representing Baledge as unsecured creditor in bankruptcy proceedings against CentrObuv Trade House.
KK&P TRIAL LAWYERS acts for its growing high-profile client base in unique commercial dispute resolution and regularly represents clients in debt recovery and insolvency-related litigation. In the litigation space, the team is instructed in disputes in all levels of the state courts including the Russian Supreme Court. Practice co-heads Maxim Kulkov, Oleg Kolotilov and Nikolay Pokryshkin are the key contacts. Senior associate Dmitry Vlasov is also noted.
Maxim Kulkov; Oleg Kolotilov; Nikolay Pokryshkin
International Bank of Azerbaijan
Volga Terminal Transit
Finvision Holdings Limited
- Represented The International Bank of Azerbaijan in a dispute with Sberbank concerning the client’s $3.3bn debt restructuring.
- Defending T Plus against damages claims totalling $11.5m arising out of a sale and purchase contract for a thermal power plant.
- Assisting an international law firm with multiple bankruptcy-related expert reports for litigation at the High Court in England.
YUST Law Firm
The litigation department at YUST Law Firm fields practitioners with a broad range of contentious expertise, who have recently focused on corporate litigation as well as commercial disputes relating to unfair competition issues, property-related claims and contractual obligations. The practice is jointly spearheaded by Alexander Evdokimov, Alexander Bolomatov and Tatiana Starikova.
Alexander Evdokimov; Alexander Bolomatov; Tatiana Starikova
‘Significant strength at partnership level, high-class professional lawyers in the team, broad knowledge across multiple areas of law, its comprehensive approach to legal issues – these are all main advantages of the team.‘
‘I would like to note the highest professionalism, the depth of knowledge and the efficiency of the team.‘
‘Tatiana Starikova is a truly outstanding family lawyer and a very professional attorney; Tatiana is experienced, considerate and very tactful at the same time.‘
‘Alexander Bolomatov has the unique ability to spot the underlying key issue even in the most complex situation, which allows him to offer very effective working solutions.‘
‘Alexander Evdokimov leads a very strong team of litigators. Alexander is a very experienced and organised person, who focuses on bringing results. The team as a whole has a strong background, which allows Alexander to take more unconventional and creative decisions during the development of a litigation strategy.‘
Mobis Parts CIS LLC
Trivon Networks LLC
“Raspredelennaya Energetika” JSC
Slavyanskaya Apteka LLC
Football Union of Russia
Haval Motors LLC
Aqua-Vait Universal mineral water bottling plant LLC
JSC “Moscow Palace of Youth”
China National Chemical Engineering Company
- Representing Mobis Parts CIS LLC in an unfair competition dispute against a group of companies importing automobile spare parts.
- Represented Trivon Networks in a $10m corporate dispute.
- Represented Rosmorport FSUE in a dispute with Caspian Hydro Company aiming to recover the overpayment of the client’s port charges.
Allen & Overy Legal Services
Allen & Overy Legal Services fields a practice, which has in-depth knowledge of litigation in key focus areas including financial services, competition law, aviation, and property-related disputes. The team has experience in cross-border contentious work thanks to its close integration with the firm’s global dispute resolution group. Igor Gorchakov leads the department, which recently strengthened its offering following the arrival of counsel Andrey Panov from Norton Rose Fulbright in late 2019. Senior associate Igor Kokin and associate Gennady Yurin are also key contacts.
Morgan Stanley Bank International
UniCredit Bank AG
VTB Leasing OJSC
VTB Bank (Europe) SE
Bank of Scotland
Czech Export Bank
PayPal Pte. Ltd.
mBank S.A. (Poland)
Kuke S.A. (Poland)
- Acted for UniCredit and AO Raiffeisenbank in bankruptcy-related proceedings.
- Representing Morgan Stanley Bank International as security agent and facility agent in the bankruptcy proceedings of South Oil Company, JSC and Astrakhan–Neft LLC.
- Represented Aurora Airlines as claimant in proceedings brought against the Federal Customs Service relating to the customs clearance of its aircraft imported into Russia.
Dechert Russia LLC’s Moscow-based practice is fully integrated with the firm’s global dispute resolution group and has significant experience in handling a variety of disputes at a domestic and international level. Senior associate Maryana Batalova has expertise in corporate, commercial and bankruptcy-related litigation. Laura Brank is also noted. In late 2019, Yuri Makhonin departed to Rybalkin, Gortsunyan & Partners.
‘We loved working with Dechert on our case. We received practical advice in perfect time and solved our problems in the least “painful’ manner possible.‘
‘Dechert’s team is known for its success-oriented approach. Team members are extremely pleasant and easy to work with. I admire that they are able to step into the shoes of their clients and give very practical advice.‘
‘Maryana Batalova is a brilliant lawyer who can understand what clients truly need.‘
Deutsche Bank AG
Enka İnşaat ve Sanayi A.Ş.
Eurobank Ergasias S.A.
Sberbank of Russia
- Represented Eurobank Ergasias in debt recovery proceedings against the Russian subsidiaries of a Greek development conglomerate.
- Acted for Hochtief Projektentwicklung in bankruptcy proceedings brought against its Russian subsidiary.
- Represented Metrolit as one of the creditors in proceedings arising from the bankruptcy of a Russian ceramics plant in Bryansk.
Eversheds Sutherland represents clients across a wide range of sectors including the financial services, real estate and construction, manufacturing and retail industries; and handles corporate, commercial, tax and IP disputes. Department co-heads Yury Pugach, Oxana Peters and Ekaterina Tilling are the key contacts, while clients also single out senior associate Ilia Tarabrin. In mid-2019, the team expanded its dispute resolution group through its merger with litigation and IP boutique Tilling Peters, which brought Peters and Tilling into the practice.
Yury Pugach, Oxana Peters; Ekaterina Tilling
‘The team consists of great lawyers who are very client-oriented, practical and responsive. They are at the top of their game and are always ready to find the best solution for me and my business.‘
‘Oxana Peters has exceptional litigation and arbitration expertise. She is a very skilled negotiator and always manages to get the point across to my opponents loud and clear.‘
‘Senior associate Ilia Tarabrin is very responsive and thorough. Ilia won several significant cases for me and knew how to turn the peculiarities of the Russian court system to my advantage.‘
Czech Export Bank
Burda Distribution Services LLC
Franchisees of Domino’s Pizza
- Represented the Czech Export Bank in the bankruptcy proceedings of Vologdaoblkommunenergo (Voke) in Vologda.
- Represented the Czech Export Bank in a brick factory’s bankruptcy proceedings in Bryansk Oblast.
- Successfully represented Wärtsilä Vostok in bankruptcy proceedings against shipbuilding plant JSC Lotos.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Herbert Smith Freehills
At Herbert Smith Freehills, Alexei Panich heads up the department, which works closely with the firm's London office; Panich has significant litigation experience in the energy sector and also handles disputes in the sports industry. The department is also particularly adept at handling shareholder disputes, and asset tracing and bankruptcy-related proceedings; the group has also seen a notable increase in defamation-related instructions.
Sberbank of Russia
The Royal Bank of Scotland N.V.
- Representing Alexander Schukin’s family in multiple defamation cases before Russian courts of general jurisdiction.
- Acting for companies forming part of the Norilsk Group in claims concerning the group’s sale of its interest in two nickel mines in Africa.
Infralex has notable capabilities in corporate and commercial litigation, which is an area of specialism for practice head Yulia Karpova. Artem Kukin is a key contact for bankruptcy-related contentious matters, while Alexey Popov focuses on property litigation. The team’s varied client portfolio includes high-profile Russian companies, leading banks, and federal and regional governmental bodies.
‘All team members bring a rare combination of intellectual power, relevant legal knowledge and experience, commercial awareness and high-level client service skills.‘
‘Lawyers in the team are attentive to detail, keep clients informed of the progress of their dispute, and respond quickly.‘
‘Yulia Karpova is an experienced and creative litigator.‘
‘Yulia Karpova is professional, easy to work with, and sticks to the agreed deadlines and budget.‘
‘Artem Kukin remains an absolute superstar – he remains calm and focussed under pressure.‘
Prosveshcheniye Publishing House
State Farm of Lenin
- Successfully represented Sberbank in a dispute relating to the ownership of land and the demolition of buildings which are part of Sberbank’s Corporate University.
- Acted for Prosveshcheniye Publishing House in trade mark litigation brought against Ventana-Graf.
- Represented property management company Auction in an $8m dispute concerning the ownership rights of a shopping centre’s equipment.
Kachkin & Partners
St. Petersburg-based Kachkin & Partners handles mandates from Russian clients at a regional and national level, and thanks to its growing referral network, the team is also increasingly instructed by international law firms. Kirill Saskov leads the practice and specialises in complex corporate and commercial litigation; and Dmitry Nekrestyanov is a key practitioner in property litigation and contentious land law issues. Senior associate Olga Duchenko handles labour law disputes.
‘The team is great to work with, it understands our business, and is very efficient, experienced, professional and reliable.‘
‘The team has built a reputation for the high-level skills of its litigators and its good client service.‘
‘This firm was able to quickly step into my case when previously appointed lawyers were destroying my chances of success. Just in a couple of weeks, team members were able to catch up and assist me with the main stage of the hearings. Lawyers’ communication style is exceptional, while the response time was really great.‘
‘The team has great knowledge of the theory and the practice of law; it is also particularly good at handling written evidence and documentation.‘
‘High level of professionalism and theoretical knowledge of law, objective view of written evidence and documents.‘
‘An excellent communicator, Kirill Saskov is also diplomatic while remaining objective.‘
‘Dmitry Nekrestyanov is extremely organised and dedicated to his clients, provides prompt answers and reacts to any legal challenge in the most appropriate and efficient manner.’
‘Kirill Saskov and Olga Duchenko are helpful, very diligent and hard-working.‘
- Actign for foreign investor Morgal Investments in a Supreme Court dispute challenging anticipated land planning issues.
- Acting for one of the former directors of Mostostroy No. 6 OJSC in a bankruptcy case.
- Defending a private individual in a dispute with a global IT company regarding alleged violations of exclusive rights to a computer program.
The dispute resolution team at Lidings focuses on commercial disputes, debt recovery and bankruptcy-related proceedings and tax litigation; the department is also attracting a growing number of contentious corporate mandates. Key areas of sector expertise for team members include the fast-moving consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, financial services, manufacturing and construction industries. Clients single out department head Alexander Popelyuk alongside managing partner and corporate law specialist Andrey Zelenin.
‘We value team members’ good command of the English language, the availability of partners, as well as the speedy response.‘
‘Lidings’ department stands out for its positive attitude, its in-depth knowledge of regional enforcement practices, and its ability to suggest practical solutions.‘
‘Alexaner Popelyuk is flexible and result-oriented.‘
‘Andrey Zelenin has a broader vision and excellent presentation skills.‘
Bridgestone Tyre Manufacturing
- Represented Ishida in a dispute with a counterparty claiming the recovery of lost profit for the incomplete supply of equipment.
- Acting for Bridgestone Tyre Manufacturing in a dispute with a leading insurance company concerning damage at a construction site.
- Represented Santen Pharmaceuticals in debt recovery proceedings.
At LP Law Firm, Dmitriy Chepurenko heads up the dispute resolution practice and is a specialist in insolvency-related litigation. Alexey Kostovarov is a key name for contentious competition law expertise. The team is also recognised for its strength in disputes arising in the financial services, investment and real estate sectors. Vladislav Ganzhala left the firm in 2020.
Starr Russia Investments III B.V.
Trust National Bank
Kirovsky Zavod PJSC
Moscow Radiotechnical Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences
Qube Medical Products Sdn Bhd
- Represented Starr Russia Investments III in a lawsuit against Deloitte Group seeking the recovery of $110m for improper financial audit.
- Defended Trust National Bank in a $190m lawsuit brought by shareholders of another bank.
- Represented a minority shareholder of PJSC Farmstandart in a corporate dispute concerning the recovery of losses caused by the squeeze-out of the client’s shares at an understated price by the majority shareholder.
The Moscow-based litigation group of Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP is fully integrated in the firm's global offering, and the department works closely with it's London-based counterpart. The group focuses on issues concerning the enforcement of judgements, bankruptcy and insolvency-related litigation, and claims arising out of contractual breaches. Dmitry Ivanov and Grigory Marinichev jointly head up the practice.
Dmitry Ivanov; Grigory Marinichev
‘The team is strong in representing creditors, as well as in enforcing Russian judgements abroad. Usefully, it is using its network of offices across many countries as well as working with local law firms in jurisdictions where the firm does not have any offices.‘
Public Interest Registry NGO
Sun Eurasia LLC
- Acting for a syndicate of international banks in high-value bankruptcy proceedings.
Noerr’s litigation team focuses on debt recovery and insolvency proceedings, investment disputes and IP litigation. The team also has a demonstrable strength in cross-border matters; it has recently been assisting UK law firms with the Russian elements of a number of high-profile proceedings in the UK. Viktor Gerbutov heads up the practice and is a seasoned specialist in unjust enrichment mandates.
‘An excellent team of litigators with useful experience in international disputes‘
‘On matters concerning the provision of expert evidence on Russian law, our experience of dealing with the team was excellent. Team members were straightforward to deal with, prompt in their advice, and had an excellent understanding of the court system in England.’
‘Viktor Gerbutov is a superb lawyer who consistently produces Russian legal advice and analysis of the highest order. In particular, Viktor sets the bar high in terms of rigour and quality of written work in English.‘
‘Viktor Gerbutov is a brilliantly clever and creative lawyer.‘
Shell Brands International
- Assisted Appleby with issues of Russian corporate and labour law in proceedings before the Royal Court of Guernsey.
- Acted for Volvo Group in IP litigation.
- Successfully represented Shell Brands International in the enforcement of its colour trade mark rights against a number of filling stations in Russia.
With multiple offices spread across the country, Pepeliaev Group is able to handle a wide variety of disputes domestically and across the wider CIS region. The team differentiates itself through its capacity to assist Russian clients with issues specific to the Chinese market and has key relationships with firms in China. Headed up by Yuri Vorobyev, the department has particular strength acting in contractual, corporate and insolvency disputes. Roman Bevzenko, Yulia Litovtseva and Ekaterina Lebedeva are also noted, alongside senior associate Aleksandra Chernova.
‘We value that the team has experience across multiple sectors and is also very helpful. When needed, the team uses its connections to get us in contact with other firms, which we also appreciate.‘
‘Yuri Vorobyev is very competent and always finds the time to assist us, regardless of how busy his schedule may be.‘
‘Ekaterina Lebedeva is a unique professional who is pleasant to work with.‘
Hyundai Heavy Industries
Jaguar Land Rover
Mareven Food Central
Multiregional Transit Telecom
Steelman Partners Europe
Regionservice’s dispute resolution practice is led by Kemerovo-based Sergey Uchitel, who is a key contact for cross-border contentious matters. The team’s varied client base includes private investors, artists, natural resources companies and public authorities. The department is recognised for its work acting in shareholder disputes and commercial litigation. Moscow-based managing partner Denis Rybakov and Evgeniya Chervets are also noted.
‘Regionservice’s practice continues to gain momentum in the Russian legal consulting market every year. Team members have a reputation as leaders in the segment of resolving corporate, bankrupt, commercial and criminal disputes.‘
‘We entrust Regionservice with tasks of high complexity. Performing these tasks requires in-depth knowledge of various sectors of the economy and multiple areas of law, as well as specific factors of Russian legal system and its social environment. Lawyers of the firm have always demonstrated professionalism and client-oriented approach.‘
‘Lawyers are sharp but also balanced, always up-to-date with the most recent legal developments, and show flexibility in thinking out of the box.‘
‘Sergey Uchitel combines all qualities, skills and knowledge needed to be a strong leader in the field of dispute resolution. Sergey truly understands his clients’ problems and offers the most elegant and transparent legal solutions. He is also highly competent in bankruptcy-related contentious matters.‘
‘Denis Rybakov is one of the strongest, most competent negotiators on the market, which helps in settling a complex case.‘
‘Sergey Uchitel and Evgeniya Chervets have been excellent to work with. They are responsive and professional.‘
‘Evgeniya Chervets is a lawyer with extensive knowledge and experience in the field of corporate disputes, highly competent and always prepared for any situation.‘
Urman Ltd./ Blaze Focus OU
JSC Regional Electric Networks
Kusbas Holding (Hong Kong) / Severnyi Kuzbass Coal Company (Russia)
Carlit Investments Ltd
The Healthcare Department of the Kemerovo Region
- Acted for private investor Andrey Zubitsky in a cross-border corporate dispute arising from the division of Russian and foreign assets.
- Represented Suek in a dispute with local authorities concerning the use of land for the purpose of coal mining.
- Acted for Kusbas Holding and Severnyi Kuzbass Coal Company in a corporate dispute concerning the transfer of assets.
Areas of notable strength for dispute resolution boutique Rustam Kurmaev & Partners span commercial litigation, corporate conflicts, and criminal proceedings. The team also excels in contentious bankruptcies, as well as construction and insurance disputes. Name partner Rustam Kurmaev acts for domestic and foreign companies, financial institutions and large corporations, and specialises in the criminal defence of businesses and enforcement proceedings.
‘Rustam Kurmaev has built a unique team of dedicated professionals, and they have quickly become our go-to lawyers for any dispute resolution matters in Russia. Their response time and commitment are second to none, and when we instruct the firm, we can always trust that their billable hours will be reasonable. It has been a great experience working with these lawyers.‘
‘Brilliant and hard-working lawyers, who are very client-oriented, creative and smart.‘
‘Rustam Kurmaev is a strong litigator and a true leader; he is always closely involved in all matters and this hands-on approach to handling cases is truly commendable.‘
Baring Vostok Capital Partners
Jones Lang Lasalle
Yamaha Motor CIS
- Representing Boris Dubrovsky, former governor of Chelyabinsk region, in his dispute with the Federal Antimonopoly Service of the Russian Federation.
- Successfully represented Mechel, one of Russia’s leading mining and metallurgical companies, in a dispute against Rostov Electrometallurgical Plant.
- Acted for JSC Chelyabinsk Pipe-Rolling Plant in a commercial dispute with ZMK-1520 LLC and Zagorsk Pipe Plant JSC concerning the supply of goods.
Saveliev, Batanov & Partners
The litigation team at Saveliev, Batanov & Partners focuses on corporate litigation, bankruptcy-related contentious work, and disputes relating to stock and debt capital markets regulation. Practice co-heads Sergey Saveliev, Egor Batanov and Anastasiya Savelieva are the key contacts, while clients also single out counsel Radik Lotfullin. Vladislav Ganzhala was a new arrival in 2020.
Sergey Saveliev; Egor Batanov; Anastasiya Savelieva
‘This hard-working team is always available to contact, quick in its response, provides an exceptional quality of service and demonstrates a business-oriented approach to handling all queries arising within the project.’
‘The main key advantage of Saveliev, Batanov & Partners’ team is its outstanding depth of expertise in the area of corporate litigation.‘
‘The team never gives its clients vague promises: it strives to achieve the most favourable result for the client and remains in control of how the dispute might develop.‘
‘Sergey Saveliev is the lawyer with deep expertise who I can trust in all complex matters. His case management skills and the high level of client care make our joint work a real pleasure.‘
‘Egor Batanov remains closely involved at all times, thereby ensuring that the team provides services of the highest quality.‘
‘Radik Lotfullin has good strategic sense and fights hard to protect his clients’ interests.‘
Irish Bank RC
West of England Ship Owners Mutual Insurance Association
Thomas Miller P&I
Peters International Investment N.V.
- Represented Fesco in multiple court proceedings resulting from a $1bn bond default.
- Represented Thomas Miller P&I and ship owners in a dispute concerning damage to a pier in Novorossiysk.
- Representing large energy sales company PJSC Mosenergosbyt in litigation proceedings against its former minority shareholders.
Ekaterina Sidorova heads up A-Pro Law’s litigation department, which specialises in disputes relating to bankruptcies and distressed assets. The team also works with the firm’s criminal law practice acting in cross-border contentious bankruptcy mandates.
‘We feel very comfortable with the team due to its deep involvement in the problems of its clients and extensive knowledge in various areas of law.‘
‘Ekaterina Sidorova is a lawyer with a lot of experience, who shows understanding to our needs and comes up with the most effective solutions to our issues.‘
- Defending a former CEO against bankruptcy litigation and claims concerning subsidiary responsibility.
ART DE LEX Law Firm
The team at ART DE LEX Law Firm is praised for its experience across all instances of Russian commercial courts and courts of general jurisdiction. Led by Artur Zurabyan, the group has key strength in bankruptcy-related proceedings, particularly cases seeking to impose administrative liability on arbitration managers for failure to fulfil their obligations under bankruptcy law. Managing partner Dmitry Magonya is also a key contact.
Far East Development Corporation JSC
Karacharovsky Mechanical Plant PJSC
NVision Group JSC
Global Ports Group
АО Rietumu Banka
Hines International, Inc.
Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) Anchor Belarusians
SI-Trading-Story Construction Unitary Enterprise
- Acted for Karacharovsky Mechanical Plant PJSC in a dispute with a large state-participation bank concerning the invalidation of a pledge agreement.
- Representing Investtradebank PJSC in a complex dispute regarding the return of assets disposed of by the former management of the bank.
- Acting for the Russian branch of Construction Unitary Enterprise SI-Trading-Stroy in a contract dispute with German construction company Lindner, arising in relation to construction work at the multi-functional complex at the Lakhta Center in St. Petersburg.
AT Lawyers’ dispute resolution team specialises in complex commercial litigation and disputes concerning the enforcement of arbitral awards. Practice co-heads Sergei Alimirzoev, Maxim Trofimov and Ilya Aleshchev are standout practitioners.
Sergei Alimirzoev; Maxim Trofimov; Ilya Aleshchev
‘Reliability and promptness of legal advice‘
‘A responsive and efficient team with a strong practical understanding of the goals in any dispute resolution matter involving international litigation‘
‘Both Sergey Alimirzoev and Ilya Alischev are efficient, business-minded lawyers who are quite knowledgeable on various issues concerning international litigation.‘
Freni Brembo S.p.A.
- Representing the liquidator of a Manx company in corporate and bankruptcy-related proceedings.
- Acted for LLC ProfHolod in a debt recovery dispute.
- Acting for Freni Brembo in a bankruptcy-related dispute with an insolvent debtor.
BEITEN BURKHARDT acts in disputes concerning customs value issues, construction elements and general commercial law. The team’s varied client base focuses on German companies in the machine building, pharmaceuticals, air transportation and manufacturing industries. Department head Alexander Bezborodov and managing partner Falk Tischendorf are the key contacts. Senior associate Nikita Rodionov is also a noteworthy practitioner.
‘We appreciate Beiten Burkhardt’s German-oriented approach, the high quality of its advice, as well as the strength of the team.‘
‘Beiten Burkhardt’s dispute resolution team is our trusted advisor in Russia. This is a team of experienced, well-known and highly professional lawyers, who clearly understand our needs, elaborate clearly on issues, and provide us with timely support.‘
‘Alexander Bezborodov is our go-to advisor — his experience and professional approach are well-known in the market.‘
‘Senior associate Nikita Rodionov is a very skilful and experienced lawyer, who clearly understands the banking environment and the needs of his client.‘
Glatt Ingenieurtechnik GmbH
- Represented LLC Wirtgen-International-Service in antitrust proceedings.
- Acted for LLC Wirtgen-International-Service in a debt recovery dispute.
At BGP Litigation, practice co-heads Alexander Vaneev, Dmitry Bazarov and Sergey Lisin are key advisers to clients active in the oil and gas, financial services, TMT and construction fields. The team is particularly strong in corporate litigation and bankruptcy-related disputes.
Alexander Vaneev; Dmitry Bazarov; Sergey Lisin
‘The team is bright, solution-focused, and good at taking strategic decisions.‘
‘The team’s communication style is better than its competitors.‘
‘Alexander Vaneev is an excellent strategist.‘
JSC Investment Company “IT Invest”
Dinamo Direct Investments LLC
- Acted for SC Investment Company “IT Invest” in a bankruptcy-related dispute.
- Represented Dinamo Direct Investments LLC as a plaintiff-investor in a construction dispute against a developer.
- Representing one of the subdivisions of PJSC Lukoil in a dispute over the ownership of a sea vessel.
Capital Legal Services’ dispute resolution department is led by St. Petersburg-based Irina Onikienko, who specialises in tax and bankruptcy-related contentious matters. The team is adept at handling property-related disputes, and principal associate Igor Gorokhov specialises in administrative disputes against public authorities.
‘CLS’ team consists of highly professional team members who aim at achieving the best possible result for the client. At the same time, the team gives opportunities for growth and development to young professionals, thereby involving them in the process and giving them real responsibilities.‘
‘A very strong and capable litigation team consisting of lawyers who are really passionate about what they are doing.‘
‘Igor Gorokhov is very convincing and has a great ability to think and act logically even under stressful circumstances.‘
‘Irina Onikienko knows how to assemble a wonderful team for the purposes of handling a dispute efficiently. She also has a unique ability to stay calm under pressure.‘
Organizing Committee Sochi 2014
Pulkovo Airport St. Petersburg
Airline Services Components, Ltd.
- Acted for Ingka Centers Rus Property B LLC in proceedings concerning the use of land plots.
- Represented Metsa Board Rus, LLC in a dispute with the Federal Service for Supervision of Natural Resources relating to its payment of environmental duties for the disposal of paper and cardboard.
- Represented East Capital Financial Fund AB, in its capacity as a minority shareholder, in subsidiary liability claims arising out of the bankruptcy of a Russian bank.
CMS handles a variety of disputes spanning commercial issues, bankruptcy and restructuring processes, tax work and employment mandates. The group maintains its well-established focus on claims concerning the aviation sector, aviation insurance and general insurance issues, and has seen notable growth in its IP litigation instructions. Department head Sergey Yuryev has extensive experience with product liability claims, contentious debt restructuring work, and general corporate and shareholder disputes.
China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation
Johnson & Johnson
National Bank of Serbia
- Representing Alfa Strakhovanie in several cross-border disputes arising out of a private jet crash.
- Acting for VP Bank (Liechtenstein) in a bankruptcy-related dispute.
- Defending VP Bank (Swiss) in a bankruptcy-related dispute, which seeks to invalidate the enforcement of a pledge and to claim the return of the pledged funds.
Delcredere acts for Russian and international companies in corporate and commercial disputes, property litigation, and contentious issues arising out of bankruptcies and business reputation concerns. The team has particular strength in disputes in the financial services sector. Managing partner Alexandra Maydannik heads up the department, where Denis Yurov, Elena Demina and Maxim Stepanchuk are standout practitioners.
‘A team of experienced and efficient professionals, who distinguish themselves through their constructive approach to resolving issues and through the consistently high quality of their legal services.‘
‘Delcredere’s team members are available on short notice to take over a case or a legal issue, even if that may require working long hours. Lawyers respond promptly to all queries and make sure to meet all deadlines. They have an eye for detail and always ensure that they understand the specifics of each case.‘
‘Elena Demina is a top-notch professional with great practical experience and strong organisational skills.‘
‘Maxim Stepanchuk is great to work with, as he pays close attention to the details of a case and provides prompt solutions to issues.‘
Moscow Exchange Group
Novo-Urengoy Drilling Operations LLC
PJSC “Novorossiysk Commercial Sea Port”
LLC “IC” RGS-Life ”
National Settlement Depository
- Represented LLC “IC” RGS-Life” in a $15.8m real estate dispute.
- Acting for Transneft-Baltic LLC in a bankruptcy-related case seeking the invalidation of a $6.3m transaction.
- Representing PJSC “Novorossiysk Commercial Sea Port” in a dispute with the Port Master, Ministry of Transport and Federal Marine and River Transport Agency relating to the temporarily dysfunctional operation of the port.
Corporate and commercial litigation form core areas of focus for EMPP Law Firm. Mergen Doraev focuses on commercial disputes with a cross-border dimension and jointly heads up the practice with corporate litigator Petr Shevtsov, who has extensive experience handling compensation claims arising from corporate transactions.
Mergen Doraev; Petr Shevtsov
‘During our work with the firm, we felt that we were always receiving services specifically tailored to our individual needs.‘
‘The team sets itself apart through its real professionalism and the high-quality services it provides.‘
‘Mergen Doraev and Petr Shevtsov are wonderful specialists which inspire confidence in the clients that their interests will be protected.‘
‘Mergen Doraev is very experienced and has excellent knowledge of corporate litigation.‘
OAO VO Technopromexport
Chelyabinkiy Pipe-Rolling Plant (ChelPipe)
- Represented OAO VO Technopromexport as a plaintiff-shareholder in a derivative action brought on behalf of Interautomatika JSC against Siemens.
- Acting for Russian military jets producer Mig in a number of parallel cases brought against Ukroboronprom before the Ukrainian commercial courts.
- Representing Technopromexport and its CEO Sergey Topor-Gilka in a lawsuit filed with the Court of Justice of the European Union, seeking the removal of the sanctions concerning the shipment of gas turbines to Crimea.
Khrenov & Partners
Khrenov & Partners has notable expertise in debt recovery and bankruptcy litigation. Igor Nikolaenko specialises in litigation across real estate and construction, insolvency, tax and corporate law, and jointly heads up the department with Alexander Khrenov, who is a go-to adviser for clients in the energy and power sectors.
Igor Nikolaenko; Alexander Khrenov
LLC KN Holding
LLC Story Garant
LLC Agrocomplex Rostovsky
IDGC of the North-West
- Represented PJSC Lenenergo in a dispute related to an electricity transmission contract.
- Represented PJSC Sberbank in a case related to a credit line agreement with its debtor.
- Acted for JSC Mosgorsvet in a case arising out of the bankruptcy of Credit Bureau Oil Alliance.
Linklaters’ dispute resolution department focuses on general commercial litigation alongside debt recovery issues and bankruptcy-related proceedings. Practice head Vladimir Melnikov is ‘a professional who is highly regarded in the market’.
‘The team is responsive and proactive.‘
Nektorov, Saveliev & Partners
Nektorov, Saveliev & Partners has a strong track record in bankruptcy-related proceedings, as well as disputes concerning contractual obligations and land-related issues. Department co-heads Ilia Rachkov and Roman Makarov are the key contacts.
Ilia Rachkov; Roman Makarov
YKK Shipping Ltd.
- Provided a group of companies led by Active Telecom PJSC with bankruptcy-related advice.
- Acted for Stroy Service in claims concerning lost profits as damages and recovery of interest for unlawful evasion of return of funds.
- Represented YKK Shipping in a dispute with Caspian-SK LLC concerning customs payments.
Russin & Vecchi LLC
Russin & Vecchi LLC has strong expertise in the energy sector and extensive experience acting for clients in disputes with state agencies; the group also regularly handles corporate and commercial litigation. The department is very active in the Russian Far East, where it acts for foreign investors and other international corporate clients. Sergei Lazarev and Sergey Parinov jointly head up the department.
Sergei Lazarev; Sergey Parinov
Sakhalin Energy Investment Company Ltd.
- Represented Ecc-Veco in multiple labour law disputes.
- Represented Sakhalin Energy Investment Company in a commercial dispute.
Established in late 2018, Rybalkin, Gortsunyan & Partners handles domestic commercial litigation proceedings and cross-border disputes involving the Russian Federation. The team's broad sector-specific expertise spans the energy and natural resources, fintech and financial services, transportation, retail, real estate and TMT industries. Ilya Rybalkin heads up the practice, which expanded its offering in late 2019 with the arrival of Dechert Russia LLC’s former dispute resolution practice head Yuri Makhonin. Dmitry Dyakin was a new arrival in 2020.
‘Yuri Makhonin is an excellent trial lawyer. He is very impressive in court, creative, hardworking and thoughtful.‘
Renova Industries Limited
- Acting for Renova Industries in court proceedings concerning the ownership of IES (now T Plus) and related allegations of fraud and conspiracy.
- Representing Tatneft in tort claims forming part of a wider set of English litigation proceedings initiated against four Ukrainian oligarchs.
Vinder Law Office
Litigation is a core area of focus for Vinder Law Office, which has a strong market presence in Moscow, Ekaterinburg and St. Petersburg. The team regularly acts for clients in disputes with governmental agencies. Managing founding partner Artem Abramov heads up the practice and also contributes to the firm’s insolvency, tax, contractual and corporate dispute knowledge.
Trust Oil JSC
Mostovik Development LLC
Sia International Ltd.
- Acted for Sodbury LLC in contentious matters concerning unjust enrichment.
- Represented Trust Oil JSC in a real estate dispute.
- Acted for Mostovik Development LLC, owner of a hotel in Sochi Olympic Park, in claims against a former manager.