Widely considered ‘a true leader’ by clients and peers alike, Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners has one of the largest full-service dispute resolution groups in the Russian market. The team is split between Moscow and St. Petersburg, with Valery Eremenko sitting at the helm of the national litigation group, while the St. Petersburg-based team is led by Ivan Smirnov and counsel Evgeny Gurchenko. Denis Arkhipov heads the firm’s dedicated Coronavirus Task Force, which focuses on force majeure issues, rental disputes and contentious bankruptcy-related matters, with Smirnov responsible for the St Petersburg offering. In addition, the team in Moscow has a solid track record assisting clients with corporate and contractual disputes; Denis Arkhipov and recently promoted partner Vera Rikhterman both stand out in this respect. Clients also recommend counsel Tatyana Neveeva.
Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution: Litigation
Melnitsky & Zakharov, Attorneys at Law
Our main specialization is the resolution of complex commercial and administrative disputes of participants in the markets of telecommunications, metallurgy, gas and oil industry, gold mining, infrastructure and capital construction, transport, and investment activities. The practice of our team includes the experience of successfully representing the interests of principals in the Supreme Arbitration Court of …View Profile...
Dispute resolution: Litigation in Russia
Valery Eremenko; Denis Arkhipov
Other key lawyers:
Vera Rikhterman; Ivan Smirnov; Evgeny Gurchenko; Tatyana Neveeva
‘The firm is a true leader. Their niche are the most complex cases.’
‘EPAM rightfully occupies a leading position in all dispute resolution ratings. We contacted this firm on the recommendation of their other client. Finding a good lawyer is very difficult. EPAM has a number of undeniable advantages: experience in working with large clients, experience in high-value disputes, and the presence of a large number of practices. I also want to note the style of work of the firm – it is focused on the client, punctual and transparent.’
‘Professionalism, client focus, flexibility. Separately, I would like to note Tatyana Neveeva for the high level of knowledge and skills, approach to work and relationship with the client.’
‘Valery Eremenko and Vera Rikhteman are exclusively professional lawyers who show the highest level of interest in the client’s success, involvement, focus on results, and are able to find and offer effective solutions.’
‘Ivan Smirnov represents clients in an intelligent, strategic and successful manner. Ivan deals efficiently with special situations and achieves high results thanks to his rich hands-on experience, excellent knowledge of law, great insight into the core of the problem, and perfect understanding of client’s business and market.’
‘Our success was in the hands of Ivan Smirnov and Evgeny Gurchenko – lawyers with an iron grip in defence, thorough knowledge of law, the ability to analyse a huge layer of legislation in the shortest possible time and build a win-win strategy. In court they are like sharks: the arguments of the opponents have no chance of survival.’
‘Vera Richterman is a brilliant expert who combines professional knowledge and the ability to understand the client.’
‘Tatyana Neveeva has an outstanding ability to accurately and simply state the most complex legal position.’
Northern Capital Gateway Consortium
Bank St. Petersburg
- Representing Northern Capital Gateway Consortium in a high-profile environmental dispute with multiple state authorities.
- Representing Central Telegraph in a dispute seeking the recognition of the title of a civil defence facility.
- Representing Bank St. Petersburg, one of the largest Russian banks, in a complex multi-jurisdictional dispute with borrower Vitaly Arkhangelsky and Oslo Marine Group Ports.
Bringing ‘excellent results’, Monastyrsky, Zyuba, Stepanov & Partners is ‘the strongest Russian litigation firm’, in the words of one client. Offering a full range of corporate and commercial litigation services, the team is known for representing some of the largest domestic and international clients in Russian courts of all instances, as well as in cross-border proceedings raising Russian law issues. The department is led by Yuri Monastyrsky, Dmitry Lovyrev and Anton Aleksandrov, all of whom are highly regarded in the market. Dmitry Mukhomorov and Kirill Udovichenko are also key figures in the team.
Yuri Monastyrsky; Dmitry Lovyrev; Anton Aleksandrov
Other key lawyers:
Dmitry Mukhomorov; Kirill Udovichenko
‘The strongest Russian ligation firm, in my opinion.’
‘MZS often participates in disputes deciding the fate of the client’s business. The team possesses versatile knowledge and experience that goes beyond any one branch of law.’
‘Very high quality of litigation, correct assessment of judicial prospects, deep study of the case, collection of excessive amounts of evidence. All this ensures excellent results.’
‘Anton Aleksandrov is an efficient and professional partner with one of the strongest teams in the market.’
‘Dmitry Lovyrev is a great strategist.’
Novorossiysk Sea Port
Primorsk Sea Port
ALRUD Law Firm has carved out a strong reputation for handling a wide range of contentious work, including general commercial, corporate, competition, insolvency and property disputes. Areas of increased activity include the financial services, energy, TMT, retail and automotive sectors. Reflective of market trends, the practice is also sought after for investment-related cases and IT disputes. In addition, the team’s international client portfolio continues to grow as a result of its best friends network; it also counts multiple large state-owned companies among its clients. Insolvency litigator Sergey Petrachkov leads the department, which also include Magomed Gasanov and senior associate Dmitry Kuptsov.
Other key lawyers:
Magomed Gasanov; Vassily Rudomino; Dmitry Kuptsov; Denis Bekker; Anastasia Bekker
‘Alrud has a top lineup of lawyers across key disciplines. The team is incredibly responsive and thorough in their approach, and bring a true, old-fashioned style of client service to every interaction. They are well-placed to work with overseas clients to develop a holistic strategy and approach.’
‘Good quality across the board. Careful, thoughtful and incisive lawyering.’
‘The dispute resolution practice is distinguished by its maximum promptness and efficiency in relation to any requests, the ability to look at the situation from an unexpected angle, and offer a non-trivial approach to resolving any unexpected situations that certainly arise in the course of work. The ability to anticipate the opponent’s steps and the quick adaptation to changing conditions put the team ahead of other competing firms.’
‘I would like to single out Sergey Petrachkov. Sergey is a professional in his field, who managed to gather a team of strong lawyers on whom you can truly rely. Sergey is a top resource in the group with a strong grasp of the law and the right manner to work with clients on their most sensitive problems.’
Nabors Industries Ltd.
Louis Dreyfus Company Suisse S.A.
Humax Co. Ltd
- Represented Auchan LLC in a high-profile dispute concerning the demolition of a $320m shopping centre.
- Represented SSI Schäfer in a high-value insurance dispute seeking recovery of high-value losses caused by the collapse of the client’s warehouse.
- Represented Nabors Industries in multiple disputes raising issues concerning Russia’s regulation of foreign strategic investment.
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is at the forefront of commercial, regulatory and insolvency litigation. In addition to these mainstays, practice head and ‘recognised leader’ Edward Bekeschenko has extensive experience in the IT and telecoms sector. The recent work of the team stands out in relation to handling vicarious liability claims in the automobile sector; Anton Maltsev led on the recent defence of JV Systems. Recently promoted partner Pavel Novikov is recommended for domestic insolvency work. St. Petersburg-based senior associate Alexander Korkin is a key contact for employment disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Anton Maltsev; Pavel Novikov; Taisiya Vorotilova; Alexander Korkin; Andrey Bogdanov
‘Highly qualified, reliable, friendly and always available. The team gives pragmatic advice and achieves good results. Deep legal expertise. The team works great on a tight deadline.’
‘Edward Bekeshchenko is a recognized leader in the market.’
‘Taisiya Vorotilova is a reliable lawyer.’
‘Creative approach to business, combined with deep knowledge of law.’
Codest Engineering S.R.L.
- Representing PJSC Koks in a corporate dispute commenced by a minority shareholder against PJSC Koks seeking to terminate certain decisions of the shareholders’ meeting.
- Defended JV Systems, a subsidiary of GM Avtovaz, from multiple vicarious liability claims alleging a conspiracy with a construction contractor’s former management, budget fraud, and causing damage to creditors.
- Representing Codest Engineering S.R.L. in two sets of litigation proceedings initiated by its counterparty in breach of an arbitration clause contained in a construction subcontract.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP's team attracts praise for its ‘brilliant client-oriented approach’. It prides itself on its in-house advocacy capabilities, coupled with team members’ dual qualifications in the US and the UK; New York-qualified Yury Babichev, who was recently promoted to the partnership, is a key contact for shareholder litigation. The practice stands out for its high-value recent work on contentious debt recovery and contractual issues, particularly in the mining sector; its pharmaceutical and construction sector work is also noted. In addition, clients also benefit from the team's advanced use of technology, including the Clear/Cut tool utilised during the early stages of assessing disputes. The department is spearheaded by IP litigator Elena Trusova and Ivan Veselov (‘tries to understand each case inside out’). Counsel Evgeny Oreshin focuses on product liability cases.
Elena Trusova; Ivan Veselov
Other key lawyers:
Yury Babichev; Evgeny Oreshin; Rimma Malinskaya
‘BCLP’s dispute resolution practice demonstrates brilliant client-oriented approach and is determined to provide business-driven and realistic advice. The lawyers take any opportunity to better understand the specifics of the client’s business and apply this insight during the cooperation. Despite the fact that BCLP is an international law firm, the dispute resolution practice is the proper fit in the Russian litigation (and negotiation) environment.’
‘Ivan Veselov is a true encyclopaedia when it comes to Russian litigation and practice. Ivan tries to understand each case inside out and propose often non-standard approaches and solutions.’
‘Elena Trusova is a brilliant speaker, listening to her presentations is always a pleasure.’
‘I am well acquainted with Ivan Veselov, a partner of the practice. Ivan is well versed in the legal field; in the context of constantly changing legislation, he builds effective judicial strategies.’
‘A strong team with deep expertise in bankruptcy law and dispute resolution, ready to offer unconventional solutions in various situations. They react quickly, communicate honestly and openly with the client.’
‘BCLP’s team knows how to take the client’s side. They understand not only the legal details of the case, but also develop a technical view of the issue. They also clearly explain to the client some of the legal features and possible options for resolving issues.’
Prosveshcheniye Publishing House
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Rusagro Group of Companies
- Scored a victory for IMC Montan in the Ninth Commercial Court of Appeal’s case seeking the recovery of debts from Nornickel, the world’s largest high-grade nickel and palladium producer.
- Successfully defended Almira Karimova, Tyumen Plywood Plant’s former owner and managing director, against claims alleging breaches of warranty brought by Sveza LLC in relation to the sale and purchase agreement for Tyumen Plywood Plant.
- Successfully acted for Rusagro Group LLC, a managing entity within the Rusagro Group, in a contractual dispute over the recovery of over ₽1.1bn in damages from Agrosnabsakhar LLC.
The ‘very strong dispute resolution practice’ at Dentons is split between the offices in Moscow and St. Petersburg, respectively led by department co-heads Roman Zaitsev and Mikhail Ivanov. The group is ‘well known for its success rate in handling disputes’; it has a particular emphasis on assisting large domestic and international clients with contentious bankruptcy, contractual and real estate issues. The team in St. Petersburg has extensive experience in IT litigation, an area where Victor Naumov has a stellar reputation. Counsel Maria Mikheyenkova is noted for her credentials in procedural law.
Mikhail Ivanov; Roman Zaitsev
Other key lawyers:
Victor Naumov; Maria Mikheyenkova; Anton Alifanov; Ilya Kuzmin
‘Dentons houses a very strong dispute resolution practice in Russia. The team is well known for its success rate in handling disputes, creative approach to each case and superb client service. The firm is also well known for international disputes.’
Nanto Holdings Limited
- Defending iHerb in a series of disputes in various Russian regions relating to the prohibited content of its website.
Hogan Lovells (CIS) regularly draws on the firm’s capabilities worldwide to handle highly sensitive cross-border disputes; clients refer to the group as being ‘second to none as regards international asset recovery, fraud, investigations and contentious insolvency’. Indeed, in an ongoing collaboration with the firm's Paris and London offices, the team is acting for the Russian Deposit Insurance Agency in a high-profile fraud and asset tracing $2bn dispute against Mezhprombank's former shadow director Sergey Pugachev. Practice head Alexei Dudko has extensive experience of representing large corporations and their senior management. Multiple team members are qualified in the US and the UK; recently promoted counsel Denis Almakaev and senior associate Anna Belova stand out in this respect. Senior associate Eugene Perkunov focuses on oil and gas as well as finance sector work.
Other key lawyers:
Denis Almakaev; Eugene Perkunov; Daria Pavelieva; Anna Belova
‘The team are real experts in coordinating international disputes by utilizing the network of Hogan Lovells worldwide. They are available day and night, have a quick turnaround, and are ready to push as hard as it takes to get the clients where they want to be.’
‘Denis Almakaev is the key individual: he constantly performs well in high-stakes disputes, remains highly professional under pressure and works around the clock.’
‘The team does their best to understand the business of the client, which helps them successfully defend the client’s interests.’
‘Alexei Dudko is definitely one of the strongest litigators in this country.’
‘Hogan Lovells is a real powerhouse and is second to none as regards international asset recovery, fraud, investigations and contentious insolvency. The firm has a strong international network and relies on a solid and experienced Russian trial practice. It is a pleasure to work with them. ’
‘Hogan Lovells is an excellent pick for handling a complex international litigation, particularly when it has a Russian or CIS element in it. They have unmatched experience in pursuing fraud claims and recovering against ‘difficult’ assets, such as offshore trusts. The team is well-connected internationally with the firm’s offices in the key jurisdictions and trusted local counsel elsewhere. It goes without saying that they work extremely hard, stay cool under pressure and always remain client-friendly.’
‘Alexei Dudko is a well-respected and experienced practitioner with great tactical skills and outstanding client communication. He is very energetic and can handle extreme pressures on the most complex matters, effective matter operator and team leader. Pleasure to work with him.’
Russian Deposit Insurance Agency
Alibaba.com (RU) LLC
Bank of Non-Profile Assets Trust
- Representing the Russian State Deposit Insurance Agency in an anti-fraud, insolvency and asset tracing case against Russian oligarch Sergey Pugachev.
- Representing ZTE Corporation in a multi-jurisdictional investigation by the US authorities into the client’s alleged violations of US export controls and economic sanctions laws.
- Acting as Russian court trial counsel to Metal One UK in multiple sets of bankruptcy and commercial litigation proceedings, aimed at the recovery of debt from a steel billets producer and from a local bank.
KIAP (Korelskiy, Ischuk, Astafiev and Partners, Attorneys at Law’s dispute resolution group receives commendation for its ‘excellent reputation and worthy professional experience’. Its client roster includes high-net-worth individuals and multinational companies, mostly active in the investment, retail, manufacturing and pharmaceutical sectors, among others. In particular, the team is known for its work on high-profile domestic bankruptcy and corporate disputes. In a closely watched case, it is representing Elena Baturina in a $285m corporate dispute contesting the client’s acquisition of a 24% stake in construction company Inteco. Praised as a 'highly effective litigator', managing partner Andrey Korelskiy leads the practice and is well versed in insolvency and commercial litigation. Arbitration expert Anna Grishchenkova and bankruptcy specialist Ilya Dedkovskiy are also key figures in the team.
Other key lawyers:
Anna Grishchenkova; Ilya Dedkovskiy; Ilya Ischuk; Sergey Ilin; Julia Usacheva
‘The team is reliable, result-focused and totally dedicated to the client.’
‘Andrey Korelskiy is the practice leader and an extremely committed and a highly effective litigator.’
‘Our cooperation with KIAP lasts for many years now, and we can confidently say that it is one of the most reliable law firms in the market, with an excellent reputation and worthy professional experience. Litigation is a key specialisation of the team – and here they are really at their best: competent lawyers work well in a team and always complete all tasks assigned to them on time and in full.’
‘Our first contact at KIAP is Andrey Korelskiy. An authoritative and respected lawyer and mediator, a positive and open person with excellent communication skills. It is easy to discuss with him even the most difficult cases, he will always find the best solution that meets the interests of all parties.’
Yokogawa Electric Corporation
- Representing Elena Baturina, a Russian entrepreneur and one of the richest women in Russia, in a dispute concerning the legality of the sale of a 24% stake in large development company Inteco.
- Representing investment company Fintailor in multiple disputes with one of the largest private banks in Russia arising out of the invalidation of a chain of transactions.
- Successfully represented multinational pharmaceutical group Novartis in a debt recovery case.
KK&P TRIAL LAWYERS is recognised for its ‘creativity, responsiveness and in-depth expertise’, as well as its experience in advising on Russian law issues arising in multi-jurisdictional litigation. The team’s caseload is reflective of its strength in corporate and contractual disputes, although it also handles a wider range of insolvency, employment, administrative and insurance issues. Noted for his recent work in the UK High Court, managing partner Maxim Kulkov is known for providing ‘independent, clear, reasoned, and coherent opinions on the operation of Russian law’. Kulkov leads the department with Oleg Kolotilov and Nikolay Pokryshkin.
Oleg Kolotilov; Maxim Kulkov; Nikolay Pokryshkin
Other key lawyers:
‘Creativity, responsiveness and in-depth expertise.’
‘KK&P’s team is particularly notable for the high level of expertise and strong reputation of Maxim Kulkov.’
‘Maxim Kulkov and Oleg Kolotilov are two of the most technically gifted disputes lawyers operating in the Russian market. They are backed up by a superb team of diligent and hardworking juniors.’
‘Maxim Kulkov in particular is our go-to Russian law expert in the market at the moment. He is uniquely placed as a Russian law practitioner who has worked for many years on complex disputes involving Russian law, but with a fantastic global perspective. Maxim is a fine advocate in his own right and he is well regarded and respected in the English High Court as an expert who gives independent, clear, reasoned, and coherent opinions on the operation of Russian law. ’
‘The firm’s key attributes are creativity, responsiveness and in-depth expertise in Russian law and, importantly for us, an ability to explain Russian law and how it is applied in practice by the Russian courts. The lawyers have a keen understanding of how they can assist in their role as overseas lawyers in complex multi jurisdictional litigation.’
‘Maxim Kulkov is very knowledgeable and creative and is also an accomplished expert witness. Dmitry Vlasov is a deep thinker and very committed lawyer who explores every angle. Oleg Kolotilov and Nikolay Pokryshkin are also excellent.’
‘The team is distinguished by two strengths – the depth of expertise in dispute resolution and the skill to maintain this depth at the intersection of their practices, combining multiple related areas of law.’
GATX Rail Vostok
- Representing Ukraine in a case regarding Tatneft’s application for recognition and enforcement of an $150m investment arbitral award.
- Representing Wörwag Pharma in a dispute with Transcapitalbank regarding its refusal to pay a bank guarantee in accordance with the ICC Uniform Rules for Demand Guarantees.
- Defending Agrosnabsakhar in a case before the Commercial Court in Tambov region relating to alleged breaches of a supply contract.
Acting on a cross-departmental basis, Muranov, Chernyakov & Partners’ team is at the forefront of domestic litigation across multiple Russian regions and CIS countries. Noted for its wide range of work, the group is very active in the contentious investment, property, construction, debt recovery and competition space. Key team members include managing partner Dmitry Chernyakov, as well as competition and tariff law specialist Oleg Moskvitin, among others.
Other key lawyers:
Dmitry Chernyakov; Oleg Moskvitin; Maxim Platonov; Nikolay Stepanov
PJSC Detsky Mir
Emhart Glass SA
PJSC IDGC of Volga
JSC Helicopter Avionics
- Representing PJSC Moesk in a tariff case.
- Representing the interests of a major hotel company in the dispute on determination of the cadastre value of the land plot.
- Representing LLC Landonder in a debt recovery dispute arising out of a property sale agreement.
VEGAS LEX’s ‘deep knowledge of procedural and substantive law’ makes it a destination of choice for clients in the oil and gas, metals and mining, construction and banking sectors. The team handles the pre-trial and trial stages of disputes involving contractual, bankruptcy, regulatory, debt recovery and corporate claims. Practice head Victor Petrov has additional expertise in insurance disputes. Managing partner Alexander Sitnikov is a key contact for contentious corporate and commercial issues. Senior associate Stanislav Matyushov is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
Alexander Sitnikov; Stanislav Matyushov
‘Deep knowledge of procedural and substantive law.’
‘In my opinion, Vegas Lex’s practice is one of the strongest in the Russian legal services market. The team takes on the most complex multi-billion dollar projects and can really benefit the client. Their legal opinions and appearances in courts are always carefully followed.’
‘I can recommend an outstanding lawyer in the team – Viktor Petrov. It is worth highlighting his experience, non-standard approach to solving problems, hard work and professionalism.’
‘Viktor Petrov has unique competencies, competently leads litigation projects and always demonstrates the deepest level of immersion in disputes, which allows him to develop effective strategies.’
White & Case LLC has an unsurpassed strength in assisting high-net-worth individuals. Its work also includes multiple high-profile representations of international companies in courts of all instances, all the way up to the Russian Supreme Court. The team is noted for its extensive multi-jurisdictional work, where it collaborates with the firm's global office network, particularly in the UK and the US. The group’s workload also attests to its excellence in handling English law issues, often arising in the context of contractual and asset recovery disputes, among others; department head and arbitration specialist Julia Zagonek is also qualified in England and Wales. Furthermore, bankruptcy litigation is also among the group’s core areas of expertise, with counsel Pavel Boulatov being the key contact in this space.
Other key lawyers:
Pavel Boulatov; Anton Vasin
The Russian Federation
The Republic of Belarus
Credit Europe Bank
Dekhkanabad Potash Plant
Bank of Cyprus
Mikhail Vladimirovich Goryainov
- Successfully represented Investments Asset Management LLC before the Russian Supreme Court, resisting an attempt to invalidate the agreement to transfer ownership of mortgaged real estate from a borrower to the client.
- Representing Arconic Corp., as well as its subsidiaries holding shares in Arconic SMZ JSC and Alti Forge JSC, in a case brought by the Federal Antimonopoly Service in connection with an alleged acquisition by Elliott Group.
- Acting for Dekhkanabad Potash Plant in a number of cross-border disputes with its bankrupt Russian contractor in connection with the construction of a potash plant in Uzbekistan.
Aitkulov & Partners was established in early 2021 following the departure of the disputes team from Clifford Chance. The team has experience representing financial institutions and companies before courts of all instances, including the Supreme Court and the Constitutional Court. Timur Aitkulov is the key name.
FBK Legal handles a range of disputes, with a particular emphasis on tax, IP, competition and land issues. It is growing its real estate sector client base, in addition to its strength in the oil and gas, construction, retail and pharmaceutical industries, among others. The group racked up recent victories in bankruptcy and debt recovery cases. Alexander Ermolenko and Elena Bokareva in Moscow, and Nina Boer in St. Petersburg are the practice heads.
Alexander Ermolenko; Nina Boer; Elena Bokareva
Other key lawyers:
Alexandra Gerasimova; Alena Ermolenko
‘My experience with FBK is unique, and the results of FBK’s work are amazing for businessmen experiencing my problems.’
‘Professionalism, discretion and customer focus.’
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
Tekhneftinvest / Central Geological Company
Concern CSRI Elektropribor
- Representing A-Property in a number of cases regarding a $200m debt recovery from a fuel-and-energy company.
- Representing Tomskgazprom in a $28m dispute with Sitek arising in relation to a contract for the sale of petroleum gas.
- Successfully represented Concern CSRI Elektropribor, a Russian research enterprise, in a $32m land dispute regarding land surveying and obtaining the right to the long-term lease of a land plot.
The experience of Ivanyan and Partners encompasses disputes arising out of insolvency, cross-border and domestic asset tracing and debt recovery, and property issues. It is also widely known for its representation of large domestic clients including Gazprombank and Severstal. Another demonstrable strength of the team lies in the contentious IP and competition space. Sergey Chuprygin and St. Petersburg-based Alexey Kozyakov jointly lead the domestic dispute resolution group. Anna Kim is also a key practitioner in St. Petersburg.
Sergey Chuprygin; Alexey Kozyakov
Other key lawyers:
Anna Kim; Khristofor Ivanyan
‘Practical advice to help you achieve your goals most effectively.’
‘A close-knit team of professionals who know how to accept weighted decisions not only in routine work, but also in non-standard situations.’
‘Most of all we work with Alexey Kozyakov and his team. They are real pros: they quickly respond to requests, know how to quickly and clearly formulate a coherent defense strategy, prepare for meetings on time and, finally, often win the courts.’
‘Anna Kim, Alexey Kozyakov – responsible, talented negotiators, proactive.’
Russian Fishery Company
HC Spartak Moscow
Crudex Energy International
- Representing the largest Russian steel company, Severstal, in a ₽20bn debtor insolvency case.
- Represented Russian Fishery Company in a precedent-setting dispute against the Russian Federal Antimonopoly Service relating to harvesting quotas.
- Represented HC Spartak Moscow in a court dispute over IP rights for the sculpture Homunculus Loxodontus in Leiden.
Norton Rose Fulbright acts across the gamut of commercial, regulatory and corporate disputes. Contentious bankruptcy and debt recovery work has been a particular area of uptick for the team – a space in which it counts DHL’s subsidiary European Air Transport Leipzig among its clients. Practice head Yaroslav Klimov has cross-border litigation experience spanning over two decades. Counsel Alexey Borodak has notable credentials in insurance law.
Other key lawyers:
European Air Transport Leipzig
- Representing Togliattiazot, the world’s largest ammonia producer, in a dispute with the governor of Krasnodar region over land ownership rights, challenging the client’s construction of sea port facilities.
- Representing European Air Transport Leipzig GmbH, DHL’s air transport company, in a dispute with the bankruptcy administrator of Vim Airlines.
Since its establishment in 2018, Rybalkin, Gortsunyan & Partners has been focused on bolstering its dispute resolution offering. It continued its expansion streak with multiple hires from Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners, including Dmitry Dyakin, whose expertise significantly contribute to the group’s ability to handle cross-border disputes. Founding partner Ilya Rybalkin leads the practice; he is a key contact for fraud litigation – a strength that manifested itself in the team’s role in representing Renova Industries in its $1bn case brought against a former Russian minister. Counsel Yuri Makhonin is also a key figure.
Other key lawyers:
Dmitry Dyakin; Yuri Makhonin
‘RGP is fairly unique in that it is a domestic boutique that is borne of international practitioners. It has a truly international disputes experience, with team members having been involved in some huge and complex cross-border cases which ordinarily would be undertaken by large international firms rather than boutiques. So it is small, agile and has exceptional experience of big ticket disputes.’
‘Ilya Rybalkin is an international transactional and disputes lawyer with excellent judgement, strong tactical instincts and a client list that would be the envy of every international firm doing Russian work.’
‘A stellar partner to have for complex multinational disputes: they pool international teams in various jurisdictions together in no time and manage these teams brilliantly. This is particularly valuable to smaller in-house departments who either do not have resources or experience running multi-jurisdictional disputes on their own. Lawyers of RGP become part of your in-house team. They understand the needs of the clients in terms of timing strategy and deliverables. ’
‘Ilya Rybalkin has been our close working partner for many years, gives his clients utmost attention, makes himself available at any time, and has a brain that seemingly never stops pondering of what else can be done on the case at hand.’
Regional Charter Capital
- Representing Renova Industries, the leading Russia-based private business group, in a $1bn case concerning the ownership of T Plus.
- Representing Tatneft in relation to the tort law aspects of the $380m English litigation proceedings brought against four Ukrainian oligarchs.
- Acting for Global-Flot LLC in a complex environmental tort dispute related to the recovery of pollution in the Caspian Sea.
Saveliev, Batanov & Partners
The experience of Saveliev, Batanov & Partners spans corporate litigation and regulatory disputes in the capital markets space. The firm bolstered its financial services sector offering with the hire of Vladislav Ganzhala, who arrived from LP Law Firm in May 2020. The practice is well versed in acting for the creditors in contentious debt matters; Radik Lotfullin is the go-to specialist. Name partners Sergey Saveliev and Egor Batanov jointly lead the department, which clients single out for 'its unique combination of intelligence, sound judgement, and an ability to handle incredibly hard work'.
Sergey Saveliev; Egor Batanov
Other key lawyers:
Vladislav Ganzhala; Radik Lotfullin; Artem Safonov
‘SBP’s team is distinguished by high professionalism and self-confidence. In our project, they were the only consultants who believed in success and eventually achieved it.’
‘Very high level of quality in the work of lawyers with whom I had to communicate. At the same time, on absolutely versatile issues. Experts in litigation, tax jurisprudence and subsidiary liability issues.’
‘Distinguished by a very deep immersion in business issues, and always focusing on results, and not for hours of work.’
‘The team has a unique combination of intelligence, sound judgement, and the ability for incredibly hard work. At the same time, is fun to work with. Trustworthy, diligent, and experienced at resolving the disputes at the very highest levels, while at the same time, user friendly and pleasant to work with. ’
‘Sergey Saveliev – apart from his exceptional legal mind, he has sound judgement on complex matters, and a great strategist. He does not just describe the problem well; he also gives you a road map for the solution.’
LLC DPI Group
Irish Bank Resolution Corporation
Alliance Rostec Auto B.V.
Mangazeya Group of Companies
Peters International Investment N.V.
- Acting for The United Kingdom Mutual Steam Ship Assurance Association (Europe) in relation to a dispute arising out of the arrest of an oil tanker owned by Greek shipowner Hamilton Shipping LLC.
- Acted for Fesco in relation to a dispute with bondholders presenting their bonds for redemption.
- Acting for Alliance Rostec Auto B.V. in disputes with former minority shareholders related to the forced repurchase of shares of AvtoVAZ PJSC.
YUST Law Firm
The recent caseload of YUST Law Firm's team reveals a particular strength in representing a varied mix of large domestic companies and private clients in land, construction and real estate litigation. Other areas of focus for the firm’s ‘experienced professionals’ are corporate litigation, contractual disputes, debt recovery, and insolvency work. Notably, the group is increasingly turning into a destination preferred by Asian clients, with South Korea-based Kookmin Bank being a standout example. The department is led by Alexander Evdokimov, Alexander Bolomatov and Tatyana Starikova.
Alexander Evdokimov; Alexander Bolomatov; Tatyana Starikova
Other key lawyers:
Anna Kotova-Smolenskaya; Dmitriy Malbin; Mikhail Chugunov; Leonora Lysenko
‘I like YUST’s team and its internal organisation. The colleagues know how to work, and what is important, they know how to account for their work. They provide professional legal assistance in all areas of law that were of great importance for our projects.’
‘Professionalism, punctuality, efficiency – these are the main qualities that I noted in the work of the law firm.’
‘Alexander Bolomatov is an excellent litigation attorney who has the unique ability to see the core of a problem in the most confusing situation, allowing him to offer very effective working solutions.’
‘Alexander Evdokimov is a brilliant litigation lawyer, a very experienced and systematic person, focused on results. Alexander has put together a highly professional and experienced team of lawyers under his supervision, and this allows him to make non-standard and effective decisions when developing a strategy for conducting a dispute. It is a pleasure to work with Alexander – the work is going well and smoothly, it is done on time. He is always in touch and ready to help. I also want to mention lawyer Leonora Lysenko. Leonora is one of the strongest litigation lawyers I have worked with.’
Mobis Parts CIS LLC
Cable Railway Governance JSC
Raspredelennaya Energetika JSC
Football Union of Russia LLC
Moscow Palace of Youth JSC
Alfa Trast LLC
- Represented Mobis Parts CIS in a dispute regarding parallel import of goods.
- Represented the largest bank in South Korea, Kookmin Bank, in a dispute regarding the return of a deposit amounting to $40m.
- Provided comprehensive legal support to the shareholders of “Lenin State Farm” in a series of disputes in the agricultural sector.
Clients prize Allen & Overy Legal Services’ ‘excellent preparation’, ‘great proactivity and clear advice’. The team is well-equipped to handle bankruptcy proceedings, particularly in the financial services sector. It also works on cross-border matters with the firm's wider network; its recent work involves the teams in Warsaw and London. Igor Gorchakov sits at the helm of the practice. Counsel Andrey Panov (‘outstanding specialist in dispute resolution’) joined the group from Norton Rose Fulbright at the end of 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Andrey Panov; Sergey Blinov
‘Ability to propose several alternative options for action. Ability to show your client the strengths and weaknesses of each option. Ability to clearly describe potential risks, the likelihood of their occurrence, the degree of risk, the amount of losses.’
‘The team is small, yet complies with high-level standard of client service. It provides its clients with efficient decisions of their problems.’
‘Andrey Panov is an outstanding specialist in dispute resolution who can be characterized by deep knowledge, high-level client service and exceptional attention to details.’
‘Excellent preparation and knowledge of the market. Great proactivity and clear advice always provided on time.’
‘I have great feedback to share with regard to Igor Gorchakov and Sergey Blinov. They have successfully assisted us in several proceedings and their work has always met the highest professional standards.’
Morgan Stanley Bank International
UniCredit Bank AG
AustroFin Mineralöl- und Derivate HandelsgesmbH
Takko Fashion GmbH
- Acting for Morgan Stanley Bank in enforcement proceedings seeking security enforcement in Russia and overseas.
- Representing AustroFIN as a creditor in the bankruptcy proceedings of Antipinsky Oil Refinery.
- Acting for Takko Fashion GmbH in the bankruptcy proceedings of Fashion Family LLC.
Split between Moscow and St. Petersburg, DLA Piper’s ‘very creative and diligent’ team combines litigation and regulatory expertise in handling corporate, commercial and administrative disputes. It often relies upon the firm’s global network, cooperating closely with the teams in London, New York, Paris and Stockholm. Yaroslav Moshennikov leads the wider dispute resolution practice and legal director Oleg Skvortsov heads up the group in St. Petersburg.
Yaroslav Moshennikov; Oleg Skvortsov
Other key lawyers:
Leonid Kropotov; Mikhail Bychikhin; Veronika Demidova; Sergey Vasiliev; Roman Golovatsky
‘The optimal combination of price and quality.’
‘DLA Piper’s team is our trusted advisor on a variety of matters. Their FMCG sector expertise is unique, and we value very much their business-oriented approach. We also appreciate the multi-practice offering with top experts available in commercial, employment, and tax litigation fields.’
‘Roman Golovatsky is our top contact for local litigation and administrative proceedings. Roman has tremendous experience in the field of advertising and regulatory disputes, which is very appreciated. Roman manages to find out creative ways to deal with issues arising in connection with such disputes for us in 84 regions throughout Russia.’
‘Based on my experience of working with the DLA Moscow disputes team, I would say that they are unique in their service-mindedness and availability for the client. I have never worked with a team that is so available and dedicated to the client, answering calls and emails late at night and traveling to remote corners of the world on short notice. Another unique feature of the team is that, if asked, they will turn every stone and investigate every angle to ensure that the client is exhausting all possible options. They are very creative and diligent and do not simply take advice from co-counsel or statements from opposing counsel at face value. Working with them means that you have to be extra diligent, because you know they will scrutinize your work.’
‘Yaroslav Moshennikov is arguably one of the sharpest strategic minds I have ever worked with. I was very impressed with how he left no stone unturned and how he always managed to find an argument or angle that we may not have thought of. His straightforward, no-fuss style made it very easy to communicate and push the cases forward.’
‘Mikhail Bychikhin is diligent, thorough and dedicated and very easy to work with. I have nothing but good things to say about him and I think he is going to have a brilliant legal career.’
‘DLA Piper’s team in St. Petersburg is unique in its staff and competencies. DLA Piper’s lawyers are commercially oriented, delving into the smallest details of cases. Lawyers are able to see the whole problem and find simple solutions to complex problems.’
MC Aviation Partners
Topcon Positioning Systems
Construcciones Mecanicas Caballe S.A.
Mazda Motor Corporation
Architectural Office Studio 44
- Acting for Gazprom in arbitral award enforcement and annulment proceedings in a number of jurisdictions.
- Successfully represented Construcciones Mecanicas Caballe S.A. in a cross-border commercial dispute with Trust Triniti LLC, eventually leading to bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representing Topcon Positioning Systems in its dispute with its supplier relating to the client’s supply of the high-value equipment.
The litigators at Eversheds Sutherland ‘always formulate an efficient strategy for each case’ and have an excellent track record assisting companies and private clients during all stages of contractual, regulatory, corporate, tax and debt recovery disputes. The ‘extremely intelligent’ Yury Pugach manages the office in Moscow and leads the dispute resolution department. Clients highly recommend Oxana Peters and IP expert Ekaterina Tilling, alongside senior associates Pavel Falileev, Ilia Tarabrin, and Olga Chirkova in St. Petersburg.
Other key lawyers:
Oxana Peters; Ekaterina Tilling; Pavel Falileev; Ilia Tarabrin; Olga Chirkova; Tatiana Kandrina; Olga Eremina
‘Strong and effective team. They are very experienced in dispute resolution, well known and widely respected. You can definitely count on them, as they always formulate an efficient strategy for each case.’
‘Yury Pugach is a very thorough litigator, he is attentive and smart. Pavel Falileev is a very clear and well-prepared advocate, he is a strategic thinker with wide-ranging litigation experience.’
‘Eversheds Sutherland has one of the strongest international networks. The Russian team has a reputation as one of the most reliable groups on the Russian market. They regularly advise on complex domestic and cross-border disputes.’
‘Yury Pugach is an outstanding partner, extremely intelligent. He provides sound and practical advice. Olga Chirkova is an exceptional specialist whom we can fully trust. Everything she does is done at the highest professional level. She is a creative and experienced litigator who handles large and complex cases.’
‘I was very impressed by Pavel Falileev.’
‘Great experience in court, especially in the field of civil and labour law, where we sought assistance.’
‘Oxana Peters has a lot of experience in court; this allows her to look at the situation from the point of view of a judge. Ilia Tarabrin gets more and more court experience; he goes through very difficult legal issues in a way that would present the client’s side well to the judges.’
‘Eversheds Sutherland matches my expectations from an international law firm and even goes beyond that. The Moscow office DR team handles my case, fighting for it as if it was in their own best interest.’
Company Shavara Limited
Publishing House Burda
Levi Strauss Moscow
Burda Distribution Services
- Acting as sole counsel for Shavara Limited in seven disputes relating to the termination of a joint investment project for the construction of residential apartment buildings and infrastructure in Moscow region.
- Represented PPG in a customs dispute concerning the classification of imported petrochemical goods.
- Acting as lead counsel for Publishing House Burda in a dispute with the Russian tax authorities relating to a commercial contract.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Herbert Smith Freehills
Herbert Smith Freehills is one of the most active firms in relation to disputes in the sports sector, where it represents members of the Russian Olympic biathlon team. Bankruptcy-related cases, defamation lawsuits and contentious debt recovery are also mainstays of the practice. This is reflected in the credentials of department head Alexei Panich, noted for his ‘ability to present and analyse complex issues in a simple and practical way’. Recently promoted of counsel Maria Dolotova and senior associate Ivan Teselkin are also key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Maria Dolotova; Ivan Teselkin
‘Very diligent; close attention to detail; proactive. We have worked with Alexei Panich and Ivan Teselkin.’
‘Great team with a proven track record of dealing with the biggest matters in the market.’
‘Their exceptional focus on the target of the client irrespective of how difficult to reach that may be.’
‘Alexei Panich is a brave litigator with wide knowledge of Russian law and an ability to present and analyze complex issues in a simple and practical way. Ivan Teselkin represents the younger generation of skilful and hardworking lawyers with exceptional ethos.’
‘Exceptional team in Moscow, very dedicated and focused on the task, always gets the job done, no matter how tight the deadline is.’
Sberbank of Russia
The Royal Bank of Scotland N.V.
- Representing members of the Russian Olympic biathlon team – Olga Zaytseva, Yana Romanova and Olga Vilukhina – in the Supreme Court of the State of New York’s $30m defamation lawsuit against Mr. Grigory Rodchenkov, former chief of the Moscow anti-doping laboratory.
- Representing Mr. Alexander Schukin’s family in multiple defamation cases in Russian courts and abroad, in relation to publications in print and online.
Infralex is adept at acting for large privately held and state-owned domestic companies across a wide range of disputes, with a special emphasis on bankruptcy cases and complex property litigation. Yulia Karpova heads up the department and is often assisted by associate Mikhail Gusev.
Other key lawyers:
Alexey Popov; Mikhail Gusev
‘Well-organized teamwork, clear coordination of actions, effective control by managers. Detailed analysis of situations, a high level of knowledge of legislation.’
‘Deep understanding of tasks, thorough analysis, analytical thinking. This applies to Yulia Karpova.’
‘Infralex’s team is focused on solving business problems and always provides a deep and comprehensive study of the legal position in the dispute. Thanks to the comprehensive expertise of Infralex lawyers, we are able to successfully resolve disputes in court and out of court in order to achieve our business goals as efficiently as possible.’
‘We work closely with Yulia Karpova, who has deep knowledge in various areas of business and jurisprudence, which allows her to always offer effective solutions.’
‘Strong theoretical training of Infralex’s team of lawyers, active legal position and focus on defending the interests of the client.’
‘Infralex conducts an in-depth analysis of the situation and a comprehensive study of the circumstances of the case in order to develop an effective legal position in the dispute.’
‘The Infralex team is ready to solve any complex problems, delves into and substantively studies the key areas to solve the problems that arise. We are ready to meet repeatedly and, if necessary, brainstorm. The feedback is constructive, offering several ways to solve problems with the ensuing consequences. The team clearly outlines the proposed actions and the sequence of implementation.’
- Successfully acted for publishing house Prosveshcheniye in a $50m trade mark dispute with Ventana-Graf.
- Successfully represented Russian wine-producer Tsimlyansk Wines in its dispute with a former general manager.
- Successfully represented Auction, the property management company of Sberbank, in unjust enrichment proceedings.
Kachkin & Partners
St. Petersburg-based firm Kachkin & Partners is noted for its track record before trial and appellate courts; clients confirm that team members ‘take on complex cases and bring them to the best possible result’. The department preserves its strong reputation as a go-to destination for construction and property development sector disputes; Dmitry Nekrestyanov is the key contact. Practice head Kirill Saskov is well versed in corporate and tax litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘What sets the team apart are the difficult cases they take, and winning where everyone else thinks it may be impossible.’
‘The firm has several strong litigation lawyers (both partners and senior lawyers) who take on complex cases and bring them to the best possible result.’
‘We have been cooperating with Kachkin & Partners for several years, we value the comfortable communication and service, the professionalism of all employees, and the high speed of providing services.’
‘Dmitry Nekrestyanov is a renowned real estate professional. He knows our business very well in particular and the market in general, has vast experience in everything related to the real estate industry. There are no questions that Dmitry could not answer.’
‘They have good experience and expertise in all areas of dispute resolution, particularly insolvency-related issues and would be amongst the top tier of law firms in St. Petersburg that I would recommend to anyone looking for local advice and representation on dispute resolution matters.’
‘Kirill Saskov, who leads the dispute resolution practice, has a depth of experience of commercial and insolvency disputes that is difficult to find elsewhere in St Petersburg.’
Mamoshin’s Architectural Workshop
- Represented the Faberge Museum in a legal challenge of the historical and cultural expert’s examination regarding the museum’s expansion plans.
- Assisting Akvilon-Invest, a construction and investment company, in contesting the functional zone of a land plot owned by the client being changed in the General Plan of St. Petersburg.
- Representing Step, a large Russian general contracting company, in a dispute with a customer, Pharmsintez-Nord, over the payment for performed services.
Singled out for its ‘excellent collaboration with clients’, Lidings represents a well-balanced mix of longstanding and newly attracted Russian and international corporate clients in general commercial disputes, debt recovery proceedings and corporate conflicts. The recent experience of ‘thoughtful and quick’ practice head Alexander Popelyuk stands out in the pharmaceutical space, where he counts Vademecum among his clients. Stepan Guzey is a key contact for criminal defence work.
Other key lawyers:
Stepan Guzey; Elizaveta Fursova; Alexey Belykh
‘Excellent collaboration with clients.’
‘Alexander Popelyuk is thoughtful and quick.’
‘Ability to find non-standard solutions and the ability to reconcile the interests of different persons, which is especially important in bankruptcy cases, where numerous creditors are involved.’
‘Alexander Popelyuk has both impressive successful experience and an inexhaustible supply of new ideas that are valuable for strengthening the legal position in the most complex cases.’
Bridgestone Tyre Manufacturing
- Defended EcoServis, a supplier to a major international food manufacturer, in litigation constituted of several administrative cases brought against the client by Rospotrebnadzor for the alleged import of food products containing an unregistered genetically modified ingredient.
- Representing Vademecum, a leading Russian publisher of pharmaceuticals and healthcare industry magazines, in a reputational dispute with the Russian government organisations over the recent publication of an article.
LP Law Firm is recommended for its contentious insolvency work. The team is routinely involved in corporate and shareholder litigation, financial disputes and competition litigation. Managing partner Dmitriy Chepurenko heads the department, where senior associate Alexander Dondokov is also a name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Starr Russia Investments III B.V.
Kirovsky Zavod PJSC
Moscow Radiotechnical Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences
Qube Medical Products Sdn Bhd
Abrau Durso Territory
- Representing Alexander Ryabchikov, former head of Mezhregionbank, in a case brought by a deposit insurance agency seeking to bring the client and nine other former managers to subsidiary liability.
- Acting for Trust Bank in a dispute seeking the recovery of $190m losses caused by the non-submission of a mandatory bid.
- Representing a minority shareholder in Russian pharmaceutical company Otcpharm in a corporate dispute seeking the recovery of losses from the company’s majority shareholder.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP’s ‘quick, professional and reliable’ team is noted for its ability to handle complex cross-border insolvency claims. This manifested itself in its cooperation with colleagues in London and New York in representing East-West United Bank in $75m cross-border insolvency proceedings; department co-head Grigory Marinichev took the lead and was assisted by associate Alexey Chertov. The department is at the forefront of litigation in the financial and pharmaceutical sectors. Practice co-head Dmitry Ivanov stands out for his recent work on multi-jurisdictional parallel proceedings.
Dmitry Ivanov; Grigory Marinichev
Other key lawyers:
‘Morgan Lewis’s litigation team is our first choice for any litigation involving Russian courts and arbitral tribunals. They have extensive experience and well-equipped to ensure smooth and successful completion of the most complicated Russian and cross-border proceedings. They are quick, professional and reliable partners.’
‘Grigory Marinichev and his team stand out because they come up with solutions to problems that no other law firm has thought of, and that creativity always puts their clients ahead. We have thoroughly enjoyed working with them for over 10 years and will continue to recommend them.’
‘Grigory Marinichev is extremely responsive and always the first to identify a good technical and commercial strategy Alexey Chertov is bright, commercial and easy to work with.’
‘Experience and available resources to participate in disputes of any complexity. The efficiency and flexibility of lawyers, the ability to maintain a strategy based on the client’s capabilities and taking into account his opinion, the ability to use the experience of foreign colleagues and create international project teams.’
‘Dmitry Ivanov stands out for his understanding of the client’s needs, good knowledge of the market, deep professional experience.’
‘Alexey Chertov is smart and experienced. Grigory Marinichev leads the team. Grigory is creative, efficient and excellent public speaker.’
VTB Bank (Europe) SE
Sun Eurasia LLC
Ben Oldman Special Situation Fund / Barclays plc
East-West United Bank
Heta Luftfahrzeuge Leasing GmbH
Sberbank (Switzerland) AG
Amsterdam Trade Bank (ATB) NV
- Representing a syndicate of international banks, including VTB Bank (Europe), in multimillion-dollar claims regarding the restructuring, subsequent litigation and bankruptcy proceedings with respect to entities of Russian metallurgical group “Red October”.
- Representing a Luxembourg bank in relation to Russian insolvency proceedings as well as in proceedings in the UK and New York seeking repayment of debts and overdue interest.
- Acting for global metals trader Traxys (Europe) SA in multiple court proceedings arising out of a foreclosure of pledged shares of a company focused on the development of tin deposits in the Russian Far East.
Noerr has a strong record handling IP disputes for German-speaking and other international clients. It places a particular emphasis on trade mark infringement, unfair competition and parallel import matters. Practice head Viktor Gerbutov is recommended for being ‘an excellent Russian law expert in English court proceedings’; this is also reflected in the team’s recent work for the defendants in Trust Bank v Yurov and Others, a case pending before the High Court in the UK.
‘Viktor Gerbutov is a leading Russian law disputes practitioner who provides first-class legal advice and analysis on the most complex issues. Viktor is an excellent Russian law expert in English court proceedings in particular.’
Simmons & Simmons LLP
- Provided complex Russian law expert witness advice in Trust Bank v Yurov and Others, a $1bn dispute involving Russian civil, corporate, insolvency and labour law issues.
- Provided Russian expert witness advice on Russian insolvency law and civil procedure in the £25m case of VTB Bank v Laptev.
- Representing Volvo Trademark Holding in multiple cases relating to trade mark and company name infringements offline and online.
Pepeliaev Group is increasingly being instructed in relation to defamation disputes. A significant part of the team’s workload also involves contractual and corporate disputes; Roman Bevzenko is among the key contacts. Dispute resolution group leader Yuri Vorobyev has extensive experience acting on the defence side of Russian and international companies in commercial disputes. Ekaterina Lebedeva leads the international litigation practice.
Other key lawyers:
Natalia Travkina; Olga Syachinova; Roman Bevzenko
Food Production Plant ‘Concord’ LLC
JSC “Teplovaya energiya”
Paneuropa S.A. – Mitsis Laguna Resort & SPA
Research and Production Enterprise Raduga-15 LLC
Rostov Grain Terminal LLC
Steelman Partners Europe
Stockmann Spb Center LLC
Dispute resolution boutique Rustam Kurmaev & Partners prides itself on its successful track record in commercial litigation, corporate defence and corporate conflicts. The team has gained significant experience in the oil and gas, manufacturing, automotive, and banking and finance sectors. Founding partner Rustam Kurmaev leads the wider dispute resolution group and is adept at representing companies and financial institutions. Vasily Malinin heads up the commercial disputes practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘A dispute resolution practice consisting of true professionals in their field, who are ready to promptly help on a wide range of issues arising in the company’s activities, which is very convenient for an in-house lawyer. Working with this law firm is comfortable, because we can be sure that prompt consideration will be given to any question and all possible options for resolving the existing dispute will be offered.’
‘For our part, we would like to note the contribution of the head of the practice – Vasily Malinin. It is Vasily’s professionalism, his extensive knowledge and calm confidence that distinguish him as a lawyer.’
‘Rustam Kurmaev & Partners’ team is distinguished by professionalism, accuracy, impeccable understanding of all the intricacies of the process and attention to the interests of the client. It is important for us that the team does not formally approach our requests and tasks, but delves deeply into the essence of the problems and effectively contributes to their resolution. Long-term experience of cooperation proves that the firm is engaged in complex dispute resolution. This, we believe, is its uniqueness and value for us.’
‘From a professional point of view, Rustam Kurmaev & Partners’ team is practically flawless. They have a completely different approach than other consultants. They try to look at the problem with our eyes, i.e. the client, and not just cite legislation. This helps them come up with unexpected initiatives and apply truly winning strategies in litigation.’
‘The team perfectly combines the ability to instantly react to force majeure with a perspective view of the problem, the ability to anticipate difficulties and avoid them. We see the result, that’s why we continue working with the team.’
Baring Vostok Capital Partners
Jones Lang Lasalle
Yamaha Motor CIS
- Acted for Chelyabinsk Pipe-Rolling Plant in a dispute with ZMK1520 LLC and Zagorsk Pipe Plant JSC relating to the supply of railway cars.
- Representing Mr. Boris Dubrovsky, the ex-governor of Chelyabinsk region, in his dispute with the Federal Antimonopoly Service of the Russian Federation.
- Representing Danila-master LLC and Navigator LLC, the largest suppliers of marble and granite in Russia, in a dispute with Russian regional gas supplier Mosgaz JSC.
A-PRO Attorneys at Law prides itself on its work on domestically originated and cross-border claims regarding illegal possession of property. The team has expertise in the fuel and energy sector – of late, it became a part of the Russian Gas Society, a non-profit organisation that consists of energy sector specialists. Additional sector-specific expertise spans construction, retail and manufacturing. Managing partner and practice head Ekaterina Sidorova specialises in bankruptcy-related disputes.
Cinema Star LLC
Anox Invest Trade
- Representing investment company Anox in a dispute with the state corporation Deposit Insurance Agency.
- Acting for LLC BioPharmKombinat in an environmental dispute with the Ministry of Nature of the Ryazan Region.
- Acted for VPT-Neftemash LLC in a contractual dispute with contractor Neighbors Drilling International arising in relation to critical breaches of contractual obligations by the contractor and drilling incidents.
The recent work of Alimirzoev & Trofimov Law Firm demonstrates its strength in bankruptcy-related proceedings. It also excels in the area of private international law, partially due to its 'good knowledge of international family law'. Sergei Alimirzoev, Maxim Trofimov and Ilya Aleshchev jointly lead the department, which is praised for its 'real partner-led approach'.
Sergei Alimirzoev; Maxim Trofimov; lya Aleshchev
‘This practice has good knowledge of international family law. All members of the team that I have worked with are fluent in English which makes it easier to collaborate on an international case. Russian law is explained in a structured way and reports are given after each hearing, highlighting the outcome and things which need to be done before the next hearing.’
‘A &T are extremely responsive and you get a real partner-led approach – Sergei Alimirzoev made himself available wherever in the world we needed him, either in person or by video or telephone.’
‘Sergei Alimirzoev is leading his team with authority and charisma.’
Freni Brembo S.p.A.
Quadient Group AG
LLC Hyundai Truck / Bus Rus
- Acting for Andrew Paul Shimmin, a liquidator of a company, in proceedings conducted in arbitrazh courts and courts of general jurisdiction.
- Represented Freni Brembo S.p.A., a creditor of a Russian insolvent debtor, in the debtor’s bankruptcy proceedings.
- Acting for Quadient Group AG in a dispute arising in relation to breaches of a license agreement.
ART DE LEX Law Firm
The team at ART DE LEX Law Firm demonstrates ‘high professionalism and good knowledge of privatisation legislation’, which it utilises in its work in bankruptcy-related judicial and enforcement proceedings in Moscow and across multiple Russian regions. Areas of recent focus include the construction, banking and manufacturing sectors. Department head Artur Zurabyan stands out for his experience in cross-border disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘High professionalism and good knowledge of privatization legislation.’
‘Knowledge of the market, practice and business specifics.’
SI-Trading-Story Construction Unitary Enterprise
Karacharovsky Mechanical Plant, PJSC
Nvision Group, JSC
- Defended broker Sova Capital against securities claims made by his counterpart, a bankruptcy creditor of the client.
- Representing PJSC Investtradebank in a $20m bankruptcy dispute with its former shareholder.
- Acting for Karacharovsky Mechanical Plant PJSC in a regulatory dispute with the authorities relating to the inclusion of the client on the regulatory supplier blacklist.
BEITEN BURKHARDT is considered to be a go-to destination for a longstanding client base consisting of German companies. The department’s work stands out in relation to customs law disputes, as well as in the construction and manufacturing sectors. Alexander Bezborodov leads the department, where associates Natalia Bogdanova and Artem Nikolaev are also noted.
Other key lawyers:
Natalia Bogdanova; Artem Nikolaev
‘The willingness of the firm to provide assistance and advice 24/7. Friendliness, professionalism.’
‘Alexander Bezborodov – professionalism and clear recommendations.’
‘Extensive experience in litigation in Russian courts, a creative approach to working with evidence, knowledge of the specifics of the work of German companies’.
‘Alexander Bezborodov has extensive experience in litigation, his advice on case management and correspondence with the counterparty is very valuable.’
‘Extremely responsible approach, high quality, attention to even the smallest details.’
Glatt Ingenieurtechnik GmbH
- Acting for Wirtgen-International-Service in a dispute with the Central Board of Customs and Excise concerning the accrual of a disposal fee and the applicable commodity classification code.
Bankruptcy procedure work and corporate disputes are BGP Litigation’s mainstays. Notably, the team’s recent work involved cross-border advice and expert opinions on Russian law in relation to cases pending before courts in the UK. The team also remains an active market player in the financial services space. Practice co-heads Alexander Vaneev, Dmitry Bazarov and Sergey Lisin are the key practitioners.
Alexander Vaneev; Dmitry Bazarov; Sergey Lisin
Delcredere represents large and mid-sized companies in corporate disputes and bankruptcy litigation. The team is prominent in the banking and finance space; Maxim Stepanchuk is the key litigator. Denis Yurov is adept at handling the Russian law aspects of cross-border litigation. Managing partner Alexandra Maydannik leads the practice. The team bolstered its corporate litigation offering with the arrival of Andrey Timtchuk from Legato Law Firm. The firm expanded its market presence in St. Petersburg with the opening of a new office in April 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Denis Yurov; Andrey Timtchuk; Elena Demina; Sergey Savosko; Anton Demchenko; Maxim Stepanchuk
‘Competent. The lawyers are attentive and responsible. The personal communication with the management at the initial stage and in the process of work is very valuable and it encourages interaction.’
‘Maxim Stepanchuk is a top professional, he has a great practical experience and he is able to organize an effective work on the project.’
‘The firm has outstanding results in the field of dispute resolution, as practically every case turns out to be a victory in their favor. The firm is very attentive to its clients. Competent organization of the workflow on the part of partners, willingness to be in touch 24/7, and professionalism allows the firm to provide legal services at the highest level.’
‘The high qualification of the lawyers, the efficiency and a positive result in favor of my company. We are very pleased with the work of the company. I express a special gratitude to the partner Denis Yurov for his careful attention to the details of our serious project and the prompt solution of the tasks.’
‘The team is an example of an excellent, efficient organization of complementary high-level professionals. Discussions are always clear and to the point. High level of customer focus. Prompt response to all customer requests.’
LLC “Capital Life Insurance”
PJSC Novorossiysk Commercial Sea Port
Auchan Retail Russia
PJSC Ksenyevsky Priisk
Moscow Exchange Group
National Clearing Center NCO NCC/ Moscow Exchange
National Settlement Depository / NCO NSD / Moscow Exchange
- Acted for LLC “Capital Life Insurance” in the $24m bankruptcy case of the country’s largest development company, RGS Real Estate.
- Represented PJSC Novorossiysk Commercial Sea Port in a dispute seeking the recovery of $10m in damages.
- Acting for Russian businessman Viktor Lituev in a dispute with another well-known Russian businessman relating to control over gold mining areas.
EMPP Law Firm focuses on representing domestic companies and private individuals in corporate and general commercial disputes. Its recent work stands out in relation to alleged contractual breaches, debt recovery claims, and actions undertaken by shareholders. Mergen Doraev and Petr Shevtsov jointly lead the practice.
Mergen Doraev; Petr Shevtsov
Other key lawyers:
Leonid Misnik; Elena Vinogradova
Bontel Ltd (Cyprus)
Terminal Premier JSC
- Represented Technopromexport, a claimant shareholder, in a derivative action brought on behalf of Interautomatika JSC against Siemens AG.
- Represented claimant Terminal Premier JSC in a lawsuit relating to the termination of a two-mortgage agreement with a bank.
- Successfully acted for claimant RT Invest in a lawsuit brought against a Russian federal media channel.
Khrenov & Partners
At Khrenov & Partners, the litigation team acts for domestic clients in debt recovery and bankruptcy-related proceedings. Name partner Alexander Khrenov leads the practice and is regularly retained by energy sector clients. Evgeny Kolpakov is a specialist in contentious corporate and restructuring issues. Dmitry Lobachev, Andrey Ivanov and senior associate Dmitry Shniger are other names to note.
Other key lawyers:
Evgeny Kolpakov; Dmitry Shniger; Dmitry Lobachev; Andrey Ivanov
‘A broad view of the problem as a whole, combined with a thorough study of all details of the case, taking into account the specifics of the industry. Well-coordinated teamwork, the person responsible for the project is always in touch and up to date, fast feedback, interchangeability within the team without failures in the transfer of information.’
LLC Hitachi High Technologies Rus
JSC Gazpromneft-Omsk Refinery
Peters&Peters Solicitors LLP
OJSC IDGC Urals
- Successfully represented Peters & Peters Solicitors LLP in relation to its contested jurisdiction to act in a dispute regarding the ownership of a large fishing group of companies.
- Successfully represented LLC Locotech Service in a dispute with JSC Russian Railways (the monopolist of the railway transportation industry) that aimed to recover losses in the amount of $1.3m.
- Successfully represented LLC Zheldorremmash in a contractual dispute with JSC Russian Railways.
Linklaters is well-placed to assist Russian and international companies with contentious corporate and joint venture work. It is also recognised by the market as a standout team in debt recovery cases. Vladimir Melnikov heads the practice.
‘Strong Moscow litigation team; capable of effectively resolving both Russian and cross-border disputes.’
Reflective of Regionservice’s wider strength in the energy, natural resources and manufacturing sectors, its dispute resolution practice is especially active in handling disputes in these industries across multiple Russian regions. The team shows a strength in corporate disputes, shareholder litigation and contentious bankruptcy issues. It is spearheaded by Moscow-based duo Evgeniya Chervets and senior partner Denis Rybakov, and Andrey Pereladov (Kemerovo).
Evgeniya Chervets; Denis Rybakov; Andrey Pereladov
Other key lawyers:
Maria Lyubimova; Yana Kizilova; Anton Novikov; Yana Kizilova
‘Regionservice have strategically approached the tasks associated with our project. They demonstrated a deep knowledge of Russian law, the ability to make lightning-fast decisions and high efficiency. Attentiveness of the lawyers, creativity and search for non-standard solutions.’
‘I would like to draw your attention to following lawyers – Andrey Pereladov, Anton Novikov and Yana Kizilova. They are competent professionals who have experience in litigation resolution and effective communication skills.’
‘The team of Regionservice is a very dedicated team with highly qualified and creative lawyers who are capable of finding a way out of the most difficult situations. They have deep knowledge of practice both domestic and international and this helps them to transform precedents from international disputes to domestic ones. They also deeply investigate any case.’
‘The key contact with whom I used to work at the firm is Evgeniya Chervets. She is a well-known disputes attorney; every year she has more won cases to her portfolio. Many of them relate to real estate projects. Evgeniya offers her clients non-trivial solutions that others can’t even think of. She provides valuable advice and is always there to assist her clients.’
‘The lawyers successfully coped with their task; they built a clear defence strategy, convincing the court to take into account the legal status of citizens. As a result, the lawyers won the case at the cassation instance and the shareholders were exempt from subsidiary liability.’
‘We have asked lawyers for legal defense in a number of bankruptcy cases. The legal firm has previously worked with agro-industrial companies, and industry-specific experience is important to us. Our lawyers presented a strong position in court and achieved the inclusion of claims in the register of debtor creditors’ claims in an impressive amount, for which we are grateful to them.’
‘I work directly with partner Evgeniya Chervets. I can mention Evgeniya as the strongest litigation lawyer, both in terms of developing a legal position and in terms of interaction with the court during the proceedings. I highly appreciate Evgeniya’s attention to details of the case and her full involvement in every step of the process.’
‘The key advantages of lawyers Andrey Pereladov and Yana Kizilova are as follows: polite and attentive communication with clients; extensive theoretical and practical knowledge; industrial expertise in natural resources and industrial safety; good negotiation skills.’
‘Regionservice is known for its vast industry experience in the area of natural resources law. This year the lawyers have won a case in a dispute over the development of coal deposit subsoil plots. The Regionservice team made every effort to prevent unfair actions of the opponent against us. A well-thought-out strategy and a quick response of lawyers to new circumstances allowed us to defend and develop the field and implement the project.’
JSC Coal Company “Sibirskaya”
Maxima Logistic Ltd.
Centrosoyuz of the Russian Federation
JSC Regional Electric Networks
Shakhta Sibirskaya LLC
Razrez Taylepsky LLC
Komos Group LLC
JSC “AC Rus Media”
- Defended Sibirskaya Coal Company’s rights in a court dispute with an adjacent property’s owner over the development of subsoil areas of the coal deposit.
- Defended Lugovoye JSC, a subsidiary of the largest coal mining company, in relation to contentious insolvency issues involving the Russian government’s recent moratorium.
- Represented Taltek Group in multiple disputes aiming to restore the corporate control over the asset of JSC “Northern Kuzbass”.
Vinder Law Office
Vinder Law Office’s dispute resolution group is split across Moscow, St. Petersburg and Ekaterinburg. This geographic coverage, coming alongside its traditional strength in litigation, allows the team to represent companies in complex corporate and bankruptcy-related disputes in various Russian regions. Artem Abramov leads the practice, which ‘offers innovative solutions to the most complex issues’.
Other key lawyers:
Irina Falkovskaya; Valeriy Akhaminov; Pavel Bonarev; Dmitry Oshivalov
‘This team knows how to distribute the capabilities of specialists in different branches of law, has experience in other jurisdictions. It offers innovative solutions to the most complex issues.’
‘Partners personally conduct business, the associates delve into the intricacies of business as carefully as the partners do. They help not only to win the dispute, but also to anticipate future problems and solutions in advance.’
‘Lawyers are available almost around the clock. Fast response to queries. They offer unconventional solutions to the most difficult problems. Artem Abramov and Dmitry Oshivalov are among the best in Russia in arbitration disputes. Mr. Abramov has gathered around him a great team of lawyers.’
Merona Kinnisvara LLP
Sodbury Holdings Limited
Trust Oil JSC
Uralskaya Myasnaya Kompaniya LLC
Gazpromneft Trade LLC
Alfa Group Consortium
- Acted for Uniteks LLC in a case aiming to recover $30m in shares.
- Defended shareholder Merona Kinnisvara LLP in corporate litigation against a large oil and gas production equipment manufacturer.
- Assisted Rencetlo Investments with a $100m debt collection case.
Avelan assists a growing number of clients with all stages of property and construction disputes; in this space, the litigation group relies on the expertise of the real estate department. Team members have marked strengths in bankruptcy-related and contractual matters, but also place additional emphasis on IP, tax and competition litigation. Managing partner Sergey Kazinets and Valeriy Lazebny head up the practice.
Sergey Kazinets; Valeriy Lazebny
Other key lawyers:
Pavel Yartsev; Pavel Shefas
TPS Real Estate
The Kraft Heinz Company
DHH Law Firm
- Represented Gazprom Neft Yamal in two sets of bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented Russia’s oldest TV Show, KVN, in a dispute with authors arising out of an allegedly illegal trade mark registration.
- Represented Caspian Hydro Technologies in bankruptcy proceedings.
Led by managing partner Yuliy Tay, Bartolius’ dispute resolution practice is particularly prominent in the insolvency litigation space, where it acts for both large domestic companies and private clients. In addition, senior partner Dmitry Provodin is well versed in tax litigation. Industry-specific expertise includes sectors such as real estate and construction, financial services and investment, among others.
Other key lawyers:
Nina Belkina; Dmitry Provodin
Verkhneamurskiye Promysly, LLC
Nordstar Airlines JSC
ООО «Khlebozavod № 6»
PFC Safmar LLC
Nitron Group B. V.
- Acting for Vladimir Mamakin, former Deputy Chairman of the management board and head of the finance unit of Promsvyazbank, in a dispute seeking recovery of losses caused by the approval of a bond repurchase transaction.
- Defending Management Company Olma-Finance LLC in a dispute with Aurum investment Management company LLC arising out of real estate lease agreements.
- Representing investment group LLC «ANN Retail» in three sets of proceedings relating to the trust management of a central children’s store in Moscow.
St. Petersburg-based Borenius acts as co-counsel on Russian law issues in cross-border proceedings; it is recommended for its work on ‘disputes relating to the former Soviet Union’. The practice is traditionally active in corporate litigation and asset tracing, but is also increasingly instructed in relation to property disputes raising cultural heritage issues. Practice head Anna Zabrotskaya, managing partner Andrei Gusev, and senior counsels Lyubov Erigo and Irina Selezneva are the key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Andrei Gusev; Lyubov Erigo; Irina Selezneva; Artyom Berlin
‘Experts in disputes relating to the former Soviet Union; they bring a huge amount of experience and technical skill in matters requiring foreign lawyers and multi-jurisdictional disputes. They are a pleasure to deal with.’
‘The team led by Andrei Gusev is technically very knowledgeable and follows a strong service culture being very responsive and prompt. They combine the above with very strong English language skills and with familiarity, earned on the field, with how European law firms work. Their collegiality is refreshing.’
‘Anna Zabrotskaya has founded the fashion and luxury goods practice at the firm – a highly innovative and novel area.’
‘Borenius are truly exceptional in putting together a multi-disciplinary team to get the best result for their client. They have contacts in multiple jurisdictions and choose the right people to deliver the best service for their clients whilst always overseeing the strategic direction of the case.’
Fiskars Brands Rus LLC
SSAB Swedish Steel CIS LLC
Prometey Central Research Institute of Structural Materials Federal State Unitary Enterprise
William Grants & Sons Ltd.
Platinum GmbH & Co. KG
- Successfully represented a Russian subsidiary of a large Swedish-Finnish company, specialising in processing raw material to steel, in a dispute with the Russian customs authorities regarding the customs value of goods produced and dividends paid.
- Acted for the owner of a large Russian fishing business in a dispute over claiming a share in the business.
- Acted for Gorod LLC in a dispute relating to the possibility of adapting the Naryshkin-Shuvalov Palace for an expansion of the exhibition space of the Fabergé Museum.
Praised for its ‘deep skills and high professionalism’, Capital Legal Services is regularly sought out to handle contentious bankruptcy work. Practice head Irina Onikienko leads the practice out of St. Petersburg, where associates Anna Silinskaya and Igor Gorokhov are singled out for their property disputes expertise. Associate Pavel Kislovskiy is recommended for bankruptcy disputes in Moscow.
Other key lawyers:
Anna Silinskaya; Igor Gorokhov; Pavel Kislovskiy; Roman Fridlender
‘Deep skills and high professionalism.’
‘Pavel Kislovskiy – professionalism, intelligence, competence, confidence.’
‘Client focus and ability to work in a team when solving complex issues. Responsiveness to client needs.’
Doppelmayr Russia LLC
Organizing Committee Sochi 2014
- Acting for the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee in a dispute with Hong Kong-based company Pico.
- Acting for East Capital Financial Fund AB in a dispute raising subsidiary liability issues with a former employee.
- Representing Intratool in the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation and in the courts of lower instance in connection with the bankruptcy procedure of Nota-Bank.
Chernyshov, Lukoyanov & Partners Law Offices
According to clients, Chernyshov, Lukoyanov & Partners Law Offices’ ‘outstanding legal skills and practical knowledge’ set it apart in the market. The team is adept at handling competition and corporate disputes, mostly in sectors such as energy, natural resources and banking, among others. Managing partner Grigory Chernyshov and name partner Konstantin Lukoyanov share leadership of the department.
Grigory Chernyshov; Konstantin Lukoyanov
Other key lawyers:
Olga Belova; Maxim Sokolinsky; Andrey Akulinin; Victoria Litvinenko
‘Outstanding legal skills combined with deep understanding on how the judicial system works – those make this practice really unique on the market. The team is staffed with very experienced attorneys who used to work for the biggest both Russian and international law firms. Very solid legal team.’
‘Grigory Chernyshov – combines strong academic credentials with practical solutions.’
‘Konstantin Lukoyanov – excellent with clients and courts alike – is not afraid to have an opinion nor to stand by it. Great depth of legal knowledge combined with a thorough grounding in realities, which leads to practical and realistic advice that courts, clients and colleagues can count on.’
‘Deep expertise in Russian law; practical and result-oriented approach to resolving client issues.’
‘Grigory Chernyshov is a good litigator who always provides a good support and stands out for his out-of-the-box thinking.’
‘Olga Belova shows a high degree of responsibility for work and results, has a strong expertise in the field of antitrust legislation. Able to quickly process a large amount of information and identify important issues.’
- Representing Russian Standard-Invest, a shareholder in Russian Standard Bank shareholder, as a defendant in claims brought by two foreign companies for the recovery of $44m in payments.
- Representing Rusgeology, a large Russian geological holding company, and its subsidiaries, in a number of disputes with its contractors.
- Representing well-known Russian entrepreneur Leonid Melamed in a series of court hearings against the Russian state authorities regarding the protection of property rights to land plots valued at over $2.85m.
Dechert Russia LLC has carved out a reputation for its work on corporate litigation and contractual disputes. It relies upon its global network for multi-jurisdictional matters, having most recently acted alongside the teams based in London and the US. Practice head Laura Brank splits her time between Moscow and London. Associate Maryana Batalova is the key practitioner in Moscow.
Other key lawyers:
Deutsche Bank AG
Enka İnşaat ve Sanayi A.Ş.
Fedex, Inc. / Co VOF /SN
Kovalev, Tugushi & Partners
Kovalev, Tugushi & Partners acts for large companies and private individuals in complex insolvency, asset recovery and corporate disputes. The department is led by the managing partner Sergey Kovalev, senior partner Dmitry Tugushi and Sergey Kislov. Senior associate Ivan Korshunov is also noted.
Sergey Kovalev; Dmitry Tugushi; Sergey Kislov
Other key lawyers:
Ivan Korshunov; Roman Krylov; Kirill Berkovsky
‘The deep theoretical base and the richest litigation and arbitration experience clearly distinguish this firm in the Russian legal services market.’
‘The firm’s lawyers are deeply immersed in the specifics of the aviation industry and always provide top-notch advice to improve our work. For example, as part of a high-profile court case, the firm’s consultants submitted a package of proposals to change the rules of work for certain categories of airline employees. The new practical provisions were incorporated into the local acts of the company. The rules formed the basis for a global reorganization of a number of business processes and regulated the relationship of all stakeholders.’
‘Sergey Kovalev has brought together a bright constellation of experts in judicial practice. High coherence and efficiency distinguish this team from the rest. Due to their high resilience in court, lawyers are trusted with precedent-setting and complex cases in the market.’
‘The firm’s lawyers are distinguished by: high competence, deep knowledge of law, extensive and diverse practice. I am very impressed by the personal qualities and values of Sergey Kovalev, as well as the corporate culture that he has formed in the firm.’
Russian Standard Corporation
JSC IC Allianz / LLC IC Allianz Life
LLC IC Euler Hermes Ru
- Acting for the former owners of Promsvyazbank in a significant subsidiary liability dispute.
- Acting for The Russian Standard Corporation in a debt recovery dispute.
- Defending Vostokcement Group in criminal and civil proceedings arising out of claims by the Russian Investigative Committee and the General Prosecutor’s Office.
Nektorov, Saveliev & Partners
Orchards handles the pre-trial and trial stages of various corporate and commercial disputes. Team members are well versed in handling matters in the retail, construction, property, mining and TMT sectors. Managing partner Grigory Zakharov leads the practice; Yuri Aksenov and Alexey Stankevich are also key partners in the team.
Other key lawyers:
Yuri Aksenov; Alexey Stankevich; Vadim Borodkin; Azat Akhmetov
‘Orchards are first-class litigators with deep knowledge of Russian law and the practice of its application by the courts. They create and successfully implement sophisticated dispute resolution strategies, working out a case down to the smallest detail, proposing unconventional solutions, and acting brilliantly in court. In addition, they understand the needs of the business and always take the client’s instructions very responsibly.’
‘Orchards’ team includes highly qualified professionals, whose professional experience and skills allow it to provide high-quality legal support in resolving complex commercial disputes.’
‘The entire Orchards team is traditionally distinguished by a high level of professionalism and motivation, as well as the ability to offer creative and effective solutions in the shortest possible time. Orchards partner lawyer Yuri Aksenov is an excellent litigation lawyer with many years of experience in implementing complex and high-profile projects. High level of legal expertise, flawless communication and deep immersion into the essence of the project.’
‘We note the high professionalism of Vadim Borodkin.’
‘Grigory Zakharov very competently and purposefully arranges work on a specific case in order to best resolve the situation.’
Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works
X5 Retail Group
Leroy Merlin Vostok
Russian Venture Company
- Acting for Leroy Merlin Vostok in a commercial dispute with a contractor and a large Russian bank.
- Representing X5 Retail Group in a dispute with the Moscow City Property Department relating to the collection of debt on the rent of a land plot.
- Representing Polyus Stroy in a large contractual dispute over the construction of a power transmission line in Taiga.
Noted for its market presence in the regions, Precedent consulting represents a mix of Russian and Ukrainian companies and private clients in bankruptcy and debt collection proceedings, corporate conflicts, and contractual disputes. The team is also increasingly gaining ground in the IP and tax litigation space. Stanislav Petrov and real estate specialist Evgeniya Zavatskaya share leadership of the department.
Stanislav Petrov; Evgeniya Zavatskaya
Other key lawyers:
Yana Salata; Daryan Panin
Synthez Plus LLC
- Represented First Ukrainian International Bank in relation to its rights to a 800 sq. m. property.
- Successfully acted for Ekaterina Lobodenko, founder of Volgomost-Krym LLC, in subsidiary liability claims arising out of the bankruptcy of Volgomost-Krym LLC, a subsidiary of Volgomost LLC.
- Represented a private client, owner of the trade mark “Pavlin Mavlin”, in IP proceedings in the Commercial Court of the Tyumen Region.
Russin & Vecchi LLC
Westside Law Firm
Praised for its ‘efficient and pragmatic approach’, Westside Law Firm covers a wide range of insolvency disputes and related contentious liability issues. Notably, the team acts for both domestic and international companies, as well as private individuals. Sergey Vodolagin leads the department.
Other key lawyers:
Mikhail Usikov; Natalia Vodolagina
‘Efficient and pragmatic approach.’
‘The team is effective, stable, and well-organised.’
‘Sergey Vodolagin and Mikhail Usikov are both very strong lawyers.’
‘Sergey Vodolagin is an experienced litigation lawyer and competently arranges processes. In the field of dispute resolution, we also work with Natalia Vodolagina and Mikhail Usikov.’
‘Exceptional availability, competence and engagement, transparency in providing services.’
Titan Intertractor GmbH
Comita Group of Companies
“Energy Consulting / Corporate IT Solutions” LLC
- Acting for LG Electronics in multiple consumer disputes.
- Representing Pfisterer Group in relation to a corporate conflict with its Russian managers.
- Represented Titan Intertractor GmbH in a case against StroiGazConsulting Co. Ltd arising out of supply contracts.
Yakovlev & Partners
Yakovlev & Partners utilises its ‘excellent knowledge of legislation and court practice’ in handling a wide range of commercial disputes. The team places a special emphasis on contentious issues relating to debt collection, securities, corporate conflicts and competition law, among others. It is also increasingly active in the aviation and financial services sectors. The department is spearheaded by name partner Andrey Yakovlev, Tatiana Kormilitsyna and Alina Tarasova.
Andrey Yakovlev; Tatiana Kormilitsyna; Alina Tarasova
‘Excellent knowledge of legislation and court practice.’
‘Individual approach to clients, timely solutions to issues.’
‘We are grateful to Tatiana Kormilitsyna, who used all her legal imagination and resourcefulness, managed to find a case from 1998, to find the court decision from the archive – this helped to convince the court of the correctness of our legal position.’
‘Alina Tarasova – customer focus, knowledge of the law, pragmatic recommendations.’
Samarante Holdings Limited
State Corporation “Deposit Insurance Agency”
- Acted for Solid-Tovarnye Rynki JSC in a competition case brought by the Federal Antimonopoly Service.
- Represented State Corporation “Deposit Insurance Agency” in a bankruptcy dispute.
- Acted for “Nordavia – Regional Airlines” JSC in bankruptcy proceedings.