Commercial, corporate and M&a: Moscow in Russia
Corporate transactions remain a key area of focus for ALRUD Law Firm, particularly across the technology, energy, metals and mining, and pharmaceuticals sectors. The team is praised as ‘synonymous with high-quality corporate law advice’ by its clients base, which includes notable Asian investors. ‘Superb adviser’ Alexander Zharskiy heads up the corporate and M&A practice and specialises in public and private M&A deals. Commercial team leader Maria Ostashenko advises clients on issues regarding business activities in Russia and is a key contact for international commercial contracts work. Clients also single out Anton Dzhuplin, who is an expert in the financial services space. Senior associate Sergey Khanaev has extensive experience handling corporate transactions governed by Russian law.
‘Alrud is the leading independent law firm for corporate transactions in Russia. The department is particularly strong in M&A work. Lawyers are very responsive and pay close attention to the quality of client service, thus taking all potential burdens away from the client where they can.‘
‘The team’s main strengths include its availability, practitioners’ strong language skills, and its efficient support during negotiations.‘
‘Anton Dzhuplin is our key contact point – he is very knowledgeable.‘
China National Gold Corporation
Munich Re/ Ergo Group
Sicpa Security Solutions
Russian Direct Investment Fund
- Assisted state-owned enterprise China National Gold Corporation with the acquisition of a 70% stake in a leading Russian gold exploration company.
- Assisted VTB Capital with the purchase of LLC Novorossiysk Grain Terminal.
- Advising Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC, on the corporate law aspects of establishing a UFC unit in Russia.
Dentons handles corporate and M&A transactions for a variety of clients spanning French, German, Japanese, Korean and Chinese companies. Clients praise the group’s market-leading expertise across multiple sectors, with particular emphasis on the pharmaceuticals industry; Richard Cowie stands out in this arena. Managing partner Alexei Zakharko focuses his practice on energy sector transactions. The team also recently expanded its M&A department following Konstantin Kroll's recruitment from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (Europe) LLP’s office in London. Mathieu Fabre-Magnan heads up the department, where Vladimir Sokov and Maria Oleinik are also noted.
‘The team is very dedicated, very practical in its approach, and a pleasure to deal with. It is also strong in the pharmaceutical sector.‘
‘Lawyers in the team are proactive and available 24/7; they remain equally committed to the needs of the client in relation to transactions of any value.‘
‘Richard Cowie is very consistent and went above and beyond to solve our problems.‘
‘Alexei Zakharko is a reliable adviser and a superb lawyer with incredible corporate and M&A experience.‘
‘Maria Oleinik is irreplaceable when it comes to multi-jurisdictional projects.‘
‘Vladimir Sokov is very client-oriented: in dealing with clients, his goal is not to “sell” his deep legal knowledge, but to actually solve their issue in a most efficient manner.‘
Da Vinci Capital
Mitsui & Co
BV Investment Holdings
- Acting for Gazprom on a joint venture with Shell for the construction and operation of an LNG terminal in Leningrad Region.
- Advised LLC Zyfra on its acquisition of shares in JSC Vist Group.
- Advised Da Vinci Capital on the acquisition of interest in ride-hailing company Gett.
Herbert Smith Freehills
‘Superstar lawyer’ and managing partner Alexei Roudiak leads Herbert Smith Freehills’ corporate and M&A practice, which handles big-ticket M&A transactions and deals in the private equity sector; US-qualified lawyer Evgeny Zelensky is a key name for transactional private equity work. The department is also noted for the breadth of its sector expertise encompassing the energy, oil and gas, financial services, transport, aviation and pharmaceuticals industries. Tax department head Oleg Konnov is also noteworthy. In 2019, of counsel Justin Vaughan departed to the London office of Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP.
‘Alexei Roudiak is considered to be a superstar lawyer on the Russian market.‘
Bonum Capital (Cyprus)
Digital Assets LLC
CNODC Dawn Light
Sberbank of Russia
ELQ Investors III
Alstom Transport S.A.
- Advised CNODC Dawn Light Limited, a subsidiary of CNPC, on its acquisition of a 10% stake in LLC Arctic LNG 2 from Novatek’s subsidiary.
- Assisted VTB Bank with its acquisition of shares in RTC Group (Rustranscom).
- Advised Bonum Capital (Cyprus) Limited on the acquisition and subsequent sale of 86% of shares in Vozrozhdenie Bank.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
The ‘top-notch’ M&A department at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP is noted for its market-leading capabilities in cross-border M&A transactions and issues relating to corporate transactions. The department acts for domestic and international clients from the automotive, transport, retail, technology and financial services sectors. The group is also praised for being ‘helpful with US-related corporate matters’, and the well regarded Dmitri Kovalenko is the key contact for private equity matters. Kovalenko jointly leads the department with the highly experienced Alexey Kiyashko, who is a go-to adviser for corporate finance work. Counsels Robin Marchant and Inara Blagopoluchnaya are also highly recommended.
Dmitri Kovalenko; Alexey Kiyashko
‘The team has an extremely strong reputation in the market for handling the most challenging issues. I could not be happier with the services Skadden’s lawyers have provided us over the years. They really took the time to get to know us and our concerns, which we greatly appreciated, and always seem to be ahead of the curve when it comes to difficult challenges and finding the best solutions. It is this focus on the client that really differentiated them for us. It is also very important to us that we kept working with the same senior team on the most complex issues.‘
‘Skadden has a top-notch M&A department in Russia –everyone in it is quick, sharp and able to deal with the most difficult situations and counterparties. Highly recommended.‘
‘A very reliable team with easy-to-reach and very knowledgeable lawyers. We appreciate that the team is also helpful with US-related matters.‘
‘Dmitri Kovalenko and Robin Marchant are the lawyers we have worked with the most over the years. Dmitri Kovalenko is a hardworking superstar lawyer, but he still remains equally committed to his clients 24/7. Robin is measured in his approach and very knowledgeable – if we have a difficult challenge in front of us, we know we can rely on him to come up with a pragmatic and intelligent solution.‘
‘Dmitri Kovalenko and Inara Blagopoluchnaya both have a very hands-on, creative and sharp approach.‘
‘Dmitri Kovalenko is one of the finest lawyers I have ever had the pleasure to work with.‘
Amalgam Rail Management/ Brunswick Rail Holding
The largest shareholder of Luxoft Holding Inc.
VTB Infrastructure Investments
- Advised Renault on various transactions and matters concerning its initial investment in and subsequent acquisition of AvtoVaz, the leading Russian car manufacturer.
- Advising Amalgam Rail Management and Brunswick Rail Holding on the sale of Brunswick’s railcar leasing business to GTLK.
- Assisting the largest shareholder of Luxoft Holding with Luxoft’s $2bn acquisition by DXC Technology.
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited's practice is a one-stop shop for clients seeking assistance with all elements of corporate deals. The group has a cross-practice approach to transactions, and leverages its strong taxation group on joint ventures and M&A mandates. The team’s expertise is also noted along the firm’s strategic sector lines in the pharmaceuticals, IT, and oil and gas industries. Andrey Afanasiev, Sergey Krokhalev and Dmitry Marchan are key figures in the team.
‘We choose the team at Baker & McKenzie – CIS, Limited for the most strategic and important projects for our group of companies. It is hard to imagine a more professional team, which is efficient, available, quick, knowledgeable, and creative in finding workable solutions.‘
‘The corporate and M&A department is well placed on the Russian market; it knows the local climate, has valuable insights about legislative initiatives, and is prepared to provide a practical and easy-to-comprehend solution tailored to the needs of the client. I would say that the team’s distinct characteristic is its ability to explain complex legal structures and regulations in a simple and concise manner, which is then easy to share within our company.‘
‘Andrey Afanasiev is a force to be reckoned with.‘
- Advised Yum! on the sale of a part of its KFC business by way of a bidding process to a large Russian investor, and the related restructuring of the Russian business of Yum!.
- Acting as a lead legal adviser to private equity firm Rhône Capital and its affiliate Wellbore Integrity Solutions on the $400m acquisition of drilling and fishing businesses from Schlumberger.
- Advising Japanese conglomerate Hitachi on its $11bn acquisition of Swiss engineering group ABB.
Baker Botts L.L.P.
Baker Botts L.L.P.’s practice has traditional strength in technology-related corporate and M&A deals. The team is also expanding its strength in M&A transactions in the financial services sector, where the department also relies on the expertise of its London-based counterpart. As a result of the close cooperation between Moscow and London, the group is also recognised for its ability to handle novel Russian law issues alongside English law mandates. Practice head Maxim Levinson and Konstantin Garmonin combine corporate expertise with in-depth knowledge of financial law.
‘All solutions are tailored by a team bringing together the best experts on the market. There is also a sense of continuity, due to the involvement of the same team in our project over the years.‘
‘Our main contact is Maxim Levinson whom we know for years and trust him with the most sensitive matters. He has great experience and knowledge. Clients get personal attention from him.‘
- Advised Sovcombank on its high-value acquisition of Rosevrobank and other transactions.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP fields a sizeable practice, which acts for sellers and buyers on domestic and international corporate and M&A transactions. As part of the group's strong cross-border work capabilities, recent highlights saw the department work closely with the firm’s offices in the US, UK and Hong Kong. The practice also draws on the expertise of the real estate, competition, finance, tax, employment and IP teams. Anton Sitnikov heads up the department, which includes Ekaterina Dedova, Matvey Kaploukhiy, Anton Panchenkov and managing partner Andrey Goltsblat as key practitioners.
‘The team’s key advantages are: its extensive experience in supporting tough projects, its readiness to plunge into all details of a project, and its ability to come up with unique solutions to the issue at hand.‘
‘We highly appreciate the professionalism of BCLP’s lawyers, as well as their client-oriented approach and the high quality of their services. They also smoothly combine complex legal techniques with attention to details.‘
‘One of the strongest corporate and M&A teams on the market; partners’ close participation throughout a client’s project is a plus.‘
‘Anton Sitnikov is a great leader not only when it comes to his department, but also in terms of handling clients’ projects.‘
‘Ekaterina Dedova is a very hands-on and responsive lawyer, who ensures the high-quality performance of her team.‘
‘Anton Panchenkov is a professional of the highest calibre due to his superior communication skills and his client-oriented focus.‘
Siberian Generating Company
Kopy Goldfields AB
Da Vinci Capital Management
UFG Private Equity
- Advised Kuzbassenergo, a subsidiary of Siberian Generating Company, on its $323m acquisition of Reftinskaya Gres.
- Advised Orion LLC on the sale of its shares in fiscal data operator 1 OFD to VTB Group.
- Advising Vezet Group on the sale of its IP and call-centre businesses to MLU B.V., a joint venture between Yandex and Uber.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
DLA Piper’s transactional strength lies in the corporate restructuring space, and benefits from the team's knowledge of the transportation, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, energy and financial services industries. The practice also has English law capabilities due to the expertise of Julien Hansen. St. Petersburg-based Denis Sosedkin heads up the department, which also includes Kim Latypov in Moscow, who focuses on high-end M&A transactions. Regional CIS managing partner Constantine Lusignan-Rizhinashvili is also noted.
‘The team has very good business knowledge; it is also very quick and responsive.‘
‘The team remains flexible and is able to arrange matters within the budget of the client without affecting the quality of legal service.‘
‘DLA Piper Russia’s team has extraordinary strengths in tax and corporate restructuring work for multinational companies.‘
‘Julien Hansen is a first-class M&A lawyer, who is very focused on the needs of the clients and can understand their circumstances instantly.‘
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
Elbrus Capital Fund II
Hines Global Reit Inc
- Advised Elbrus Capital Fund II, a leading private equity fund focused on Russia and CIS, on its acquisition of a 100% interest in Westwing Russia from Westwing Group.
- Advised Yandex.Taxi Holding B.V. on its acquisition of Food Party.
- Advising Hines Global Reit on its proposed $40m sale of a fully leased logistic centre in the Moscow Region through a share deal to FM Logistic.
Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners attracts strategic corporate and M&A mandates from high-profile domestic and international clients. The group also has substantial strength in shareholder negotiations as part of larger deals, and is a key name in the market for Russian law advice alongside US and UK-related legal issues. Department head Arkady Krasnikhin is dual qualified in Russia and the US, while Robin Wittering stands out for his experience as a barrister and solicitor in the UK. Dividing her time between Kiev and Moscow, Ilona Zekely handles projects for blue-chip clients across the CIS and Europe.
- Advised Sogaz on its $1.5bn acquisition of VTB’s insurance business.
- Assisted a Dutch global manufacturer of automotive and industrial equipment with the restructuring of the board of directors in its joint venture.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Corporate law sits as one of Hogan Lovells (CIS)’s core practice areas, and the team acts on high-value M&A transactions and leverages its close cooperation with the firm’s offices in the UK and Germany. Dual-qualified in Russia and the UK, department head Oxana Balayan is a go-to specialist for M&A deals and has extensive experience in the TMT industry; the wider group also excels in the life sciences, energy, fintech, retail, technology and financial services sectors. Senior associate Maria Kazakova is a key contact for private equity transactions, and counsel Maria Baeva has expert knowledge of M&A, disposals and joint ventures. Counsel Leonid Ervits is also highly recommended.
‘The team should be recommended due to its professionalism not only in the context of standard corporate tasks, but more importantly, when it comes to important and challenging transactions. Hogan Lovells’ lawyers always come to help with our decision making and give us their full attention. If a full, in-depth legal analysis is needed, clients are in luck, because that is the team’s strongest advantage.‘
‘Oxana Balayan has top-notch transactional expertise.‘
‘Leonid Ervits is focused on delivering solutions—he is always punctual, optimistic and friendly. His considerable experience helps him to answer clients’ questions clearly and comprehensively, and to help them attain their goals.‘
Windar Renovables, SL
Polymetal International plc
Digital Assets LLC/ Sberbank Asset Management LLC
- Advised A1 on its $104m sale of 50% shares in APG Polyplastic Group to Strongfield Marketing.
- Advised Windar Renovables on establishing a joint venture with PJSC Severstal and JSC Rusnano for production of wind power generation facilities in Russia.
- Advised Polymetal International on the $55m sale of its entire stake in Kapan Mining and Processing Company CJSC to Chaarat Gold Holdings.
The corporate and M&A team at Linklaters has carved out a solid reputation for acting on high-value M&A transactions, joint ventures and corporate reorganisations; practice head Denis Uvarov is a key name to note. Grigory Gadzhiev has extensive experience in corporate deals in the oil and gas and utilities industries, and also contributes to the department’s capabilities in commercial contracts.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP handles the full scope of corporate and M&A work and private equity transactions including the related finance, IP, antitrust, regulatory and contentious matters. The department attracts praise for its significant strength in cross-border deals; Brian Zimbler is active in the Moscow and Washington DC offices, while Roman Dashko splits his time between Moscow and New York. Managing partner and newly appointed department head Vasilisa Strizh assists domestic and globally recognised investors with deals in the media and telecoms, financial services, energy, and pharmaceuticals sectors. Senior associate Philip Korotin and associate Valentina Semenikhina are also noted. Artem Tamaev was also hired from Herbert Smith as a new Partner in March 2020.
‘Extremely competent and skillful, the team is always up to date with all legal developments and is always available to help clients.‘
‘One of the few international teams in the market with decades of experience in the region, including advice on cross-border M&A deals. The group has a full arsenal of capabilities, having very experienced lawyers, both in Moscow and globally, whose expertise can quickly be drawn on any matter from any jurisdiction.‘
‘Vasilisa Strizh is a very knowledgeable lawyer, very responsive, always focusing on a client’s problem and addressing it with her pragmatic approach. She also finds time to work on pro bono matters and is known for this on the market as well.‘
‘Senior associate Philip Korotin has great project management skills. He has brought us success on three of our more significant project from 2016 until today.‘
Oil India, Ltd.
- Advised Gazpromneft, Russia’s third largest oil company, on the establishment of a joint venture with Mubadala Petroleum and the Russian Direct Investment Fund, aimed at developing several oil producing licences in the Tomsk and Omsk regions of Siberia in Russia.
- Advising VEB Innovations on its $200m joint investment platform with a subsidiary of Srei Infrastructure Finance Limited.
- Acted for R-Pharm Holding LLC, a majority shareholder of Russian pharmaceutical company R-Pharm, on the sale of approximately 1% of its shares to the Russia-Japan Investment Fund.
Norton Rose Fulbright stands out for its strength in inbound, outbound and domestic M&A and joint venture transactions, and practitioners Julian Traill and senior associate Maxim Meaker have expertise in English law issues. The department has a solid reputation in the energy industry, and team members also focus on issues in the technology, transportation and real estate sectors. Konstantin Konstantinov focuses on joint venture projects and the reorganisation of domestic and transnational companies. Valentina Gluhovskaya and Anatoly Andriash jointly head up the practice, and counsel Janna Smirnova is also recommended.
Valentina Gluhovskaya; Anatoly Andriash
‘Norton Rose Fulbright has several advantages: high quality of its legal services, efficiency and prompt assistance, creativity in finding solutions to complex issues, as well as knowledge of current practice and legal developments.‘
‘The team is very strong and professional; it is particularly good for issues concerning contracts governed by Russian law.‘
‘Anatoly Andriash and counsel Janna Smirnova offer valuable expert advice.‘
Rosneft Oil Company
BP Exploration Operating Company Limited
Shell Exploration and Production (LVXI) B.V.
Tawazun Holding LLC
Kinross Gold Corporation
- Advising Tawazun Holding LLC on the establishment of a joint venture with Russian automotive institute NAMI and PJSC Sollers aimed at developing and manufacturing the Aurus range of luxury vehicles.
- Advised Shell Exploration and Production (LVXI) B.V. on the acquisition of a 50% stake in Meretoyahaneftegaz from Gazprom Neft.
At White & Case LLC, UK-qualified Eric Michailov and Andrei Dontsov jointly lead the multi-disciplinary corporate and M&A practice, which has strong English law capabilities. The team also works closely with the firm’s global network, particularly the corporate team in Kazakhstan. The department has a transactional strength and focuses on the TMT, energy and natural resources, financial services, private equity, agriculture, mining and real estate sectors. Nikolay Feoktistov and Jonathan Langley also attract praise from clients.
Eric Michailov; Andrei Dontsov
‘The team has in-depth knowledge of the market and a hands-on approach; partners remain involved in clients’ projects.‘
‘White & Case’s lawyers are responsive, extremely smart and diligent. They can work day and night in order to examine each and every aspect of an issue. This is the team of lawyers we feel very confident with.‘
‘Andrei Dontsov is highly qualified, has a great business-oriented approach, and is available to address any issue of ours.‘
‘Nikolay Feoktistov has been our main contact for a couple of years. He is a first-class corporate lawyer, equally strong on the business as well as the legal side of issues, very efficient and always on point. This makes Nikolay the right person to go to for any corporate or M&A project.‘
‘Jonathan Langley is very intelligent and experienced, and an effective negotiator. He is our preferred adviser for M&A deals governed by English law. He devotes a lot of time and attention to a deal and knows documents concerning transactions in great detail.‘
Sberbank/ Sberbank CIB
VTB/ VTB Capital
X5 Retail Group
- Advised Naspers on its $1.2bn acquisition of an additional 29% shareholding in Avito.
- Assisted O1 Group with the sale of its subsidiaries, Future Financial Group and O1 Properties, and related loan restructuring issues.
- Advised VTB Bank on the $154m acquisition of a majority stake in Vozrozhdenie Bank from Bonum Capital.
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP assists a mix of mid to large-cap clients in the private equity space, public and private companies, sovereign entities, and financial advisers. The department handles all types of M&A transactions, particularly in the financial services, energy and telecoms arenas. Managing partner Natalia Baratiants heads up the practice and has extensive experience in handling strategic investment matters. Other key names include Vladimir Kouznetsov, who is a go-to adviser for cross-border transactions involving M&A deals, joint ventures and corporate finance; Svetlana Volevich, who focuses on general corporate and commercial issues; and counsel Alexander Shalaev.
UFG Private Equity
- Advising Mail.ru Group on a strategic partnership and joint venture between Alibaba Group, PJSC MegaFon and the Russian Direct Investment Fund.
- Advising Lukoil-West Siberia on its acquisition of LLC “Yuzhno-Sardakovskoe”.
Allen & Overy Legal Services
Allen & Overy Legal Services utilises its global network to advise clients on complex cross-border M&A and corporate transactions, with particular expertise in the oil and gas industry and financial services sector. The team has notable multi-jurisdictional project management skills, for which clients single out the expertise of practice co-head and recently promoted partner Bulat Zhambalnimbuev. Managing partner Anton Konnov also heads up the group and is a key contact for general corporate and commercial matters, regulatory advice and infrastructure-related issues.
Bulat Zhambalnimbuev; Anton Konnov
‘First-class client orientation and deep business insight‘
‘A good team of professionals with great reputation and efficient approach to transactions‘
‘Bulat Zhambalnimbuev is our trusted adviser. Bulat is equally efficient in providing domestically focused business-oriented advice, as well as in coordinating work across multiple offices if we need expertise from abroad.‘
Mubadala Development Company
Russian Direct Investment Fund
- Advised JSC Etalon Group on the purchase of a 51% stake in Leader-Invest JSC from Sistema PJSFC.
- Advising The State Atomic Energy Corporation Rosatom on the consortium arrangements relating to the MBIR project.
- Assisted a consortium of investors led by Russia China Investment Fund with the acquisition of a minority stake in Sovcombank.
Led by Marc Bartholomy, who is ‘very well known in the market’, the corporate practice at Clifford Chance fields a team of Russian and foreign-qualified lawyers to advise on domestic and English law issues. Notably, the group handles outbound and inbound M&A and joint venture transactions, and team members have expertise spanning the real estate, retail, private equity, energy, healthcare and financial services sectors. Arthur Iliev and competition law specialist Torsten Syrbe are also key contacts to note, and clients single out senior associate Vitaly Koloskov.
‘Marc Bartholomy is very well known in the market and has experience with big-ticket transactions.‘
‘Vitaly Koloskov is very dedicated to the client, always available and thoughtful; he provides very good client service as well.‘
Far East Development Fund
- Assisting Russian telecoms company ER-Telecom with the acquisition of a majority interest in Telekom Romania.
- Advised MediaMarktSaturn on the acquisition of a 15% stake in Russia’s leading consumer electronics retailer PJSC M.video.
- Advised the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) on the sale of its stake in Lenta to SeverGroup.
CMS’ ‘fantastic’ practice stands out for its corporate energy sector work, and fields Natalya Kozyrenko as a standout practitioner in this space. The corporate and M&A department is headed up by transactional specialist Vladimir Zenin, and handles cross-border M&A mandates, general corporate advice including corporate governance issues, and corporate restructuring matters. The group's cross-border expertise is additionally strengthened through the English, French and German law capabilities of Moscow-based team members. Managing partner Jean-François Marquaire is also noted.
‘We worked with CMS Russia on mid-market M&A transactions and were very pleased with the outcome. The team is fantastic – it is very efficient and combines quick speed with high quality.‘
‘In working with CMS’ corporate team, a client gets a high-quality assessment of the full picture, competent advice on strategy, and the most optimal path for the project’s implementation. Due to the department’s flexibility, a client can be equally good at making a short sprint or playing the long game.‘
‘Vladimir Zenin is a highly proactive and hardworking professional as well as a great communicator.‘
‘Vladimir Zenin embraces the complexity of a transaction in the most pragmatic way. He also puts himself in his clients’ shoes, which gives them added confidence and a desire to work with the team again in the future.‘
Advance/ Newhouse Partnership
Pao NK Rosneft
Russian Direct Investment Fund
Dufry International AG
- Advised the Advance/Newhouse Partnership on its acquisition of Stage Entertainment.
- Assisted PJSC NK Rosneft with establishing a joint venture with Beijing Gas Group Company aimed at the construction and operation of a network of CNG stations across Russia.
- Advised the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) on the acquisition by RDIF and its co-investors of shares in the Russian agricultural business of TH Group.
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP has a notable track record in high-end public M&A transactions; the team also specialises in corporate finance work, corporate governance issues and general commercial and contract law. The team excels in the TMT, mining and metals, utilities, oil and gas, transportation and financial services industries. Managing partner Alan Kartashkin, Natalia Drebezgina and Alyona Kucher jointly lead the department.
Alan Kartashkin; Natalia Drebezgina; Alyona Kucher
“Titan” Group of Companies
- Advised N-Mining Limited on the $283m sale of LLC “Third Mining Exploration Company” to Kinross Gold Corporation.
- Acted for “Titan” Group of Companies on structuring a joint venture for the construction of plant for the production of BoPET polyester film.
- Advised MegaFon Investments (Cyprus) and MegaFon on a $1.3bn buyback programme of ordinary shares and global depository receipts of MegaFon.
Dechert Russia LLC's corporate practice is led by seasoned corporate specialist Laura Brank, who is supported by Evgenia Korotkova. The team has knowledge of Russian, UK and US law, which is utilised when advising on large multi-jurisdictional M&A transactions. The department is equally well-versed in corporate governance issues, compliance work and commercial contractual arrangements. The team demonstrates a breath of experience across multiple sectors with particular strength in the manufacturing, mining and metals, private equity and technology industries.
‘Dechert houses an excellent team of corporate and M&A counsels led by experienced and professional partner Laura Brank.‘
‘Dechert Moscow’s team is very knowledgeable and has practical experience dealing with issues in Russia.‘
‘Laura Brank is a native English speaker, which is a huge benefit in getting clear communication. She has other lawyers in her team who are Russian natives but whose communication in English is also seamless.‘
‘Laura Brank is outstanding, experienced and punctual lawyer who is equally knowledgeable in US, English and Russian law.‘
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Kinross Gold Corporation
Russian Direct Investment Fund
- Advising Kinross Gold Corporation on its $283m acquisition of Chulbatkan.
- Assisted ABBYY with its cross-border acquisition through a reverse merger of software company TimelinePI.
- Advised Rubber Coöperatief U.A. on its shares in a Dutch holding company.
Ivanyan and Partners assists clients with general corporate law work, corporate transactions and contractual issues. The team also utilises the firm’s strength in dispute resolution for contentious corporate matters; Khristofor Ivanyan is a key adviser. Sector-specific expertise spans the oil and gas, mining, infrastructure, machinery construction and technology industries. Department head Maria Miroshnikova focuses on domestic and cross-border M&A transactions.
‘Creative problem solving, high professionalism, and a proactive approach to issues.‘
WS Financial & Investment Services
Led by David Stewart, Latham & Watkins LLP stands out for its work on high-value M&A transactions and has notable strength in the corporate restructuring space. The group's sector-specific expertise spans the healthcare, telecoms, oil and gas, metals and mining, and automotive industries. The team is experienced in cross-border mandates, particularly across the CIS region. Alexander Gomonov and Olga Ponomarenko are also key figures in the team.
‘Very motivated, very flexible and always happy to help‘
‘Latham & Watkins acted as an opposing counsel on our deal. It was a great reassurance to have the team on the other side of the table, as these are among the best negotiators we have ever worked with. The team is very efficient and knowledgeable, which allowed all parties to execute the deal in an extremely challenging time frame.‘
‘We appreciated the team’s ability to pool knowledge and resources in timely manner, particularly in terms of the seamless coordination of lawyers in Moscow and Hong Kong.‘
‘Alexander Gomonov is a very diligent and very professional partner with exceptional knowledge of Russian law.‘
‘Olga Ponomarenko is very easy to work with; she is a brilliant lawyer and gets on well with people. We also worked with associate Timur Bayramov, who is very strong technically.‘
- Assisted Sistema PJSFC with the acquisition of majority stakes in two Russian pharmaceutical companies.
- Advising Gazprombank on the $2.2bn sale of Gazprom shares.
- Advising PJSFC Sistema on the sale of a minority stake in JSC Pharmaceutical Enterprise Obolenskoe to the Russia-China Investment Fund.
Andrey Gorodissky & Partners provides advice on corporate strategy, corporate documentation and due diligence projects. The practice is increasingly instructed on transactions in the technology, real estate and construction sectors. Dmitry Lubomudrov and Alexey Gorodissky sit at the helm of the department.
Dmitry Lubomudrov; Alexey Gorodissky
‘The team is always client-oriented, striving to provide reliable, high-quality services. The lawyers are very responsive to requests and helpful.‘
‘We work very closely with Alexey Gorodissky, who always adopts a professional and practical approach.‘
Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works
Delo Group of Companies
Russian Direct Investment Fund
Finstar Financial Group
Lumileds Holding B.V.
Zim Integrated Shipping Services
- Assisted Sberbank Investments LLC with the third stage of the financing of a real estate joint venture between Sberbank and Rostelecom.
- Advised Sberbank Investments Ltd. on its acquisition of shares in the companies involved in the $519m construction project of Ant Yapi.
- Advised Gleden Invest on its purchase of Moscow-based factory Karat.
Eversheds Sutherland has notable strength in corporate and M&A transactions; while the team traditionally acts on the buy side of matters, it is increasingly instructed by sellers. Practice co-heads Victoria Goldman and Mikhail Timonov split their time between Moscow and St. Petersburg.
Victoria Goldman; Mikhail Timonov
‘Eversheds’ lawyers are creative, diligent, very hardworking and commercially minded. They always ask the right questions and provide creative solutions within a short time.‘
‘With the help of Eversheds Sutherland’s team, even complex transactions go quite smoothly. The team members are extremely helpful, responsive and reliable.‘
‘Victoria Goldman is an extremely experienced lawyer and is incredibly intuitive in her understanding of clients’ needs. She always gives excellent commercial advice to our company, and she always gets straight to the heart of the matter.‘
- Assisted Rolls-Royce with the acquisition of its marine business by Kongsberg Gruppen.
- Advised Univar on the Russian aspects of its acquisition of Nexeo.
- Assisted FläktGroup Rus with its merger with Denco Happel Ru.
Infralex has extensive experience advising on due diligence issues, corporate reorganisations and commercial agreements. The team is also well versed in M&A deals and acts on the sell and buy side of transactions. Practice head Yulia Eremenko is the standout adviser in the M&A space, and managing partner Artem Kukin is a key contact for contentious corporate work.
‘Infralex supported us in international M&A deals, where we were impressed by their professional and transparent approach.‘
‘The lawyers are effective and down to earth; they are also very capable of working on corporate disputes of various complexity.‘
‘Artem Kukin is exceptional; he complements his extremely diligent client representation with hard work and good humour.‘
‘Artem Kukin and Yulia Eremenko are very experienced. Their responses to our queries have always been arrived in a timely manner and answered in full.‘
United Aircraft Corporation of Russia
Reed Smith Kazakhstan
Maschienenfabrik LASKA GmbH
- Assisting the United Aircraft Corporation of Russia with its corporate reroganisation.
- Assisted CNOOC Limited with acquiring a stake in the strategic project of one of the Russia’s largest oil and gas companies.
- Advising the Government of the Russian Federation on issue relating to a complaint by Ukraine at the World Trade Organization.
KIAP (Korelskiy, Ischuk, Astafiev and Partners, Attorneys at Law) has a focus on high-value M&A deals and is increasingly instructed by clients on transactions in the construction industry. Led by Anton Samokhvalov, the team also works closely with other teams in the firm on mandates arising at the junction of corporate law and taxation, antitrust, banking and finance regulation and IP issues.
‘It is impressive how quickly KIAP manages to get into an issue and turn things around for the client. The lawyers keep clients up to date on key changes to the law and are on top of risks associated with our business.‘
‘Anton Samokhvalov is one of the standout lawyers on the Russian market who has invaluable experience coupled with commercial knowledge; Anton also has great negotiation skills.‘
Zvezda Shipbuilding Complex
- Assisted Zvezda Shipbuilding Complex with complex cross-border corporate structuring matters concerning the incorporation of a joint venture in the shipbuilding industry.
- Advised SMNM-Veco on a new corporate management structure.
- Assisted SNC Lavalin with the management of a joint venture and the preparation of relevant corporate documents.
Led by Sergey Komolov, King & Spalding LLP’s corporate, finance and investments department focuses on complex M&A and joint venture transactions. The team acts for leading domestic clients and has built a strong reputation across the energy and natural resources, real estate, TMT, and financial services sectors.
Interstate Corporation for Development
Bank Otkritie Financial Corporation
Turner Broadcasting System Europe Limited
- Advised GV Gold on various issues related to an equity investment by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
- Advised on the sale of a stake in a large fisheries company.
- Advised Mubadala Petroleum on its acquisition of an interest in Gazpromneft-Vostok.
LECAP Law Firm
LECAP Law Firm’s corporate team handles corporate and M&A transactions, and has particular strength in the corporate restructuring space. Practice co-heads Roman Belenkov, Michael Malinovskiy and Elizaveta Turbina are the key practitioners.
Roman Belenkov; Michael Malinovskiy; Elizaveta Turbina
- Assisted PJCS “Avtovaz” with its recapitalisation and consolidation of shares in the company by Alliance Rostec Auto B.V.
- Advising Sollers on general corporate issues.
- Advising PJSC “Phosagro” on general corporate issues.
LP Law Firm is well versed in handling M&A and joint venture transactions, conducting due diligence, and providing general corporate law advice. The team is jointly led up by Ruslan Nagaybekov and Andrey Novakovskiy.
Ruslan Nagaybekov; Andrey Novakovskiy
‘The team is recommended for its high availability and its ability to prioritise urgent matters. We highly appreciate the timely and professional help of Ruslan Nagaybekov.‘
Concern Tractor Plants
LLC “NPO Techanalitika”
- Advised Ruselectronics on setting up a joint venture with AFK Sistema.
- Advising Telene on corporate issues concerning its daily operation in Russia.
- Advised PJSC Rosseti on corporate compliance issues.
Monastyrsky, Zyuba, Stepanov & Partners is instructed by clients on M&A transactions and corporate restructuring matters. The team's work covers a wide array of issues, with particular emphasis on complex due diligence projects and drafting and negotiating corporate documentation. Practice co-heads Mikhail Motrich and Alexander Zyuba are the key contacts.
Mikhail Motrich; Alexander Zyuba
‘It is very comfortable to work with Monastyrsky, Zyuba, Stepanov & Partners. The advantages are the team’s easy communication, strong professional skills, fast reactions, and business-oriented way of thinking.‘
‘We worked with Mikhail Motrich. He showed strong communication skills and an ability to work within a tight time frame.‘
‘Mikhail Motrich has extensive experience with- and deep knowledge of M&A transactions. He feels the commercial challenges facing the client and does a perfect job at addressing these challenges.‘
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Advising the owners of Forum Properties on a complex joint venture with a strategic investor.
- Assisted the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development with investing in a Russian bank and the related changes to the shareholders’ agreement of the bank.
- Advising AFK Sistema on a contemplated joint venture with Rostec in the microelectronics sector.
The corporate and M&A department at Noerr recently expanded following the arrival of Vyacheslav Yugai from Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners. Yugai is joint practice co-head alongside Björn Paulsen, who divides his time between Moscow and Hamburg. The team specialises in inbound cross-border deals, corporate restructuring matters and the sale of Russian and CIS-based subsidiaries of foreign blue-chip companies.
Vyacheslav Yugai; Björn Paulsen
‘Noerr provides excellent legal advice, in particular on regulatory matters, and was able to rely on its good relationship with the regulator during the settlement process of our request. Moreover, the team was very strong in explaining Russian law concepts to foreign lawyers.‘
Squire Patton Boggs is notably active on cross-border transactions including M&A deals, private equity work, and corporate finance issues; department head Patrick Brooks specialises in these areas. Beyond its transactional strength, the team is also experienced in regulatory matters and issues concerning sanctions. Anton Rogoza is now an independent practitioner.
‘It is a small, but extremely efficient department; it is professional, flexible and creative in its approach, and prepares high-quality documentation.‘
Go Travel Un
VEGAS LEX’s team advises on corporate transactions, commercial contracts and contentious corporate work. Managing partner Alexander Sitnikov and Alexander Garmaev jointly lead the department, which includes Alexandra Vasukhnova as a key figure.
Alexander Sitnikov; Alexander Garmaev
‘Prompt attention to matters and commitment to the needs of clients‘
‘This is a team of reliable and efficient professionals who can cope with complex projects within tight deadlines.‘
‘Alexander Garmaev has vast experience – he knows the latest business tendencies and the most recent practice in relation to various M&A issues.‘
State Transport Leasing Company
- Advising InfraONE on the establishment of the first Russian seed fund for investments in infrastructure projects – Russian Transport & Infrastructure Fund.
- Advised Fortum on corporate matters arising from the operations of its joint venture with Rusnano.
- Advising Alrosa on the corporate reorganisation of its innovation business division.
Rostislav Shatenok, Ilya Smirnov
The best legal team I have ever worked with. Excellent lawyers, who are able to help with both local and international deals. They react quickly, their advice of the highest quality. At the same time they never charge more than a work costs. I am absolutely satisfied.
We appreciated such qualities of ALTHAUS Legal team as focus on delivering the best possible result to the client.
Ilya Smirnov is one of the best experts I have ever worked with. He and his team constantly tries new approaches comfortable for a particular client when it comes to M&A matters.
ALTHAUS Legal team met all our demands. They not only acted as a sole legal advisor for the Corporation Russian subsidiary, but performed in close cooperation with the headquarters in the UK. They were focused on delivering accurate practical solutions within our case of debt-to-equity swap under Russian law and fully integrated into the project representing us in negotiations and advising on regulatory issues.
X5 Retail Group;
AC Damate Group
- Advised a private equity fund and its beneficiary on acquisition of a 25% stake in Codabra, a programming school for children.
- Advised VTB Capital on the acquisition of a 26% stake in an infrastructure company RIK which won a bid on constructing a bridge over the river Pur in the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous Area.
- Assisted X5 Retail Group on its joint venture with Sovcombank for developing business of parcel lockers operator.
Falk Tischendorf, Vasily Ermolin, Alexey Kuzmishin, Bilgeis Mamedova
‘Broad spectrum of competencies – from patent law to GRCan do attitude – not only advise in legal matters, but also bring issue to a resolution. Preparedness to listen to the client and understand its’ needs.’
‘Falk Tischendorf is one of the best connected lawyers in Russia; he also has a very holistic view of the legal environment and has business acumen.’
‘Bilgeis Mamedova is a charming and very knowledgeable lawyer able to push her position through – gently – at all levels of state decision making. She is also extremely bright and has a deep understanding of legal and business context.’
Maxim Bunyakin, Yulia Nenasheva, Tatyana Bunyakina
‘Profound, efficient and strong. Best among Russian law firms.‘
‘Team provides high-quality legal advice, which is tailored to their deep understanding of business and how it operates.‘
‘Unique expertise in the corporate law market in a specific area of corporate law. Extremely professional team.‘
‘Anton Bunyakin was an invaluable resource when it came to structuring M&A deals. His attention to details and knowledge of laws are unsurpassed.‘
‘Maxim Bunyakin – one of the best corporate & M&A lawyers that I ve seen so far.‘
X5 Retail Group
PJSC “Irkut Corporation”
JSC “FTA “Almazjuvelirexport ”
PJSC “Aviation Complex S. V. Ilyushina”
JSC “Konstruktorskoe Buro KHIMAVTOMATIKY”
JSC “Arkhangelsk experimental algae plant”
JSC “NPC “Salut”
JSC “NPO Energomash”
- Legal due-diligence of power generating companies in terms of plans on their acquisition.
- Reorganization preparation support
- Support on certain issues of the reorganization of the Client in the form of accession of legal entities
Vladislav Zabrodin, Pavel Karpunin, Dmitry Churin, Mikhail Dikopolski
Brinky Agro Invest BV
Ingka Centres (Ikea brand)
- Developing a new legal approach for combining the requirements of Russian and European legislation on personal data for a major international pharmaceutical company.
- Legal support for a mandatory tender offer (the “MTO”) and squeeze-out of minority shareholders after acquisition of a majority share in a local pharmaceutical company by a foreign shareholder.
- Drafting the company’s internal policy based on which it plans to build relations with potential clients under sanctions.
‘Danilov & Partners has demonstrated capabilities in complex technology license agreements while also working seamlessly with U.S. Counsel.‘
‘Danilov & Partners is an independent Russian law firm with truly international deal experience, which makes them my go-to law firm in Moscow. They understand international M&A and finance transactions because all their partners have done them over many years. Together they have decades of experience working in top international law firms and their advice is always exact, commercial and practical, which is a difficult balance to achieve. Their advice is presented in a digestible, client friendly manner and their responsiveness is second to none. ‘
‘I have worked with Nato Tskhakaya and Andrei Danilov. Ms. Tskhakaya is extremely hard-working, skilled at drafting and pragmatic. Mr. Danilov is an impressive negotiator with substantial business insights.‘
‘I particularly rate Andrei Danilov and Nato Tskhakaya.
Andrei is a seasoned practitioner who has a ’hands on’ approach on deals and is expert at relationship management, be it other law firms with whom he works or his own impressive client list.
Nato is an excellent lawyer who is always on top of all the issues on her deals. She communicates well and super responsive.‘
Irkutsk Oil Company
- Advising Irkutsk Oil Company on a US$2.3bn gas project at Yaraktinskoe oil and gas condensate field, including its cooperation with Toyo Engineering Corporation (Japan) on the construction of an ethylene plant.
Valentin Petrov, Ivan Semenkin
Antteq / Ant Yapi
Renaissance Insurance Group
Severnaya Steklotarnaya Kompania
Antipinsky Oil Refinery
Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange
- One of the most complex recent corporate and finance restructurings
- Legal support of the seller in its sale of controlling stake of JSC KTK
- Supported the client in its acquisition of 2 targets
Alexander Ermolenko, Nina Boer
Gazprom and its subsidiaries
Sberbank and its subsidiaries
Russian Fishery Company
Yamaha Motor CIS
CRRC Corporation Limited (China Railway Rolling Stock Corporation)
Tuva Energy Industrial Corporation (TEPK)
NGK Spark Plugs
Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts
SK Stil LLC
Emris Plast LLC
- Complex due diligence of three coal producing enterprises
- Complex due diligence of innovative technologies holder
- Detailed due diligence of the owner of a land plot in Murmansk
Irina Narysheva, Olga Yasko, Andrey Shiryaev
‘KPMG Law M&A team demonstrated a professional support working on the transaction within tough deadlines and showed non-standard for lawyer â€œout-of â€“boxâ€ thinking and complex understanding identifying key risks not only in legal, but also tax and financial areas and involving in-time relevant experts to address such risks.‘
‘Had been working with KPMG Tax team in Saint-Petersburg over many years. Partners, managers and consultants demonstrate high level of expertise, show perfect knowledge of corporate and tax legislation, tax practice, local tax environment and authorities requirements. Work as a team, communicate within the team efficient as well as with customer’s responsible staff. Trust this team completely.‘
‘Irina Narysheva, partner, has broad business thinking, identifies risks and issues outside of standard legal framework, in particular within transaction structuring analysis Irina identified high tax risk for a significant amount and timely involved tax experts to provide relevant detailed advice. ‘
‘Alisa Melconian – perfect ability to understand the issue and provide best options for solutions in unusual difficult cases in Corporate and Tax Diana Menchick – up-to-date knowledge of legislation, look to the future for correct implementation in the customer’s business, perfect undrstanding of specific customer businessValentina Gorbacheva – perfect knowledge and experience in Transfer Pricing documentationStanislav Romanov – accuracy and well knowledge of Tax laws and it’s applicaton in customer’s business and practice.’
Avelar Solar Technology
Leroy Merlin Vostok
Rayner Surgical Group Limited
- Represented Novorossiysk Commercial Sea Port (subsidiary of Transneft) in 560+ mln USD sale of Novorossyisk Grain Terminal (NZT) to Group VTB.
- Assisted the client in acquisition of largest petrol stations operator in North-West region of Russia.
- KPMG Law assisted in merger of the largest development groups Leader-Invest and Etalon.
‘Lidings has been our legal advisor for several years, mostly taking care of our corporate matters. They handle each task with an amazing accuracy and always provide us with valuable feedback. We know we are guided by real professionals.‘
‘The team is headed by Mr. Andrey Zelenin. He is a major professional and great project manager. In particular, I would like to mention a bright lawyer Julia Kuzmenko, with whom we frequently contact. She is remarkably thorough in her communications, doesn’t play hard to get, meaning she is available on the phone and replies to email promptly. Besides that, she is an open person, reliable and trustworthy.‘
‘Andrey Zelenin’s inputs were insightful. He and his team were always available to provide us with the advice/clarifications we required. ‘
Kingsoft Cloud Corporation Limited
- Advising on selling the client’s Russian subsidiary.
- Represented on the acquisition transaction.
- Advising on establishing subsidiary in Russia.
Nektorov, Saveliev & Partners
Alexander Nektorov, Ilia Rachkov
‘NSP appeared to be very expertised and competence team. They produce not only legal support of high quality, but also demonstrate strong customer-focused approach.‘
‘Deep knowledge with individual approach‘
‘Mr Nektorov, who is one of co-founders of the company, provides qualified legal support. While working on the project, he is 24/7 online and ready to be involved in any other issue that may occur during the project.‘
‘Ilia Rachkov – good professional, always ready to help, initiates and propose improvements in legal situation bringing winnings in general business of my Company.‘
Russian Direct Investment Fund
DID Group, the holding company of Seldon Group
Research and development centre “Rodemos”
- Transaction on selling the stake in the equity capital of OOO “Medialogia”.
- Transaction on implementation of “Energy from Waste”, a project involving the construction of four waste-to-energy plants.
- Transaction on selling of minority interest in Client’s company in favour of a majority participant.
Olga Sorokina, Natalya Kuznetsova, Karen Shakhnazarov, Daria Nosova
‘Highly professional and qualified team. O2 lawyers are excellent at handling complex cross-border M&A transactions. They have strong reputation as notably active in headline inbound M&A transactions and joint venture projects within Russia and abroad. ‘
‘I’d like to praise great O2 team for the splendid work they did. They are highly professional and result-orientated, fully understand client’s needs and are always guided by these needs. They are able to handle complex and sophisticated domestic and cross-border M&A transactions. ‘
‘I’d like to mention highly skilled, internationally qualified partners and associates of O2 Consulting. In our case their English law expertise came in handy. We needed the transaction documents including parallel share purchase agreements under English law and Russian law and the call and put option agreements to be prepared. They managed to provide all conditions for the transaction with a complicated structure and with a series of closings. The solution they offered included a unique set of Russian and English law governed back-to-back put and call options combined with amendments to the effective shareholder’s agreement.’
‘O2 Consulting team has been constantly providing exceptional legal advice. They always meet deadlines, are strong negotiators, highly competent in drafting complicated transaction documents and are really nice people to deal with.‘
‘I work with excellent specialists, widely recognized experts in corporate and cross-border transactions, Olga Sorokina, managing partner, Karen Shakhnazarov, Partner and Head of M&A and Cross-Border Transactions Practice, Inna Perelekhova, Partner and Head of the Family Office and Yuri Ustinov, associate‘
‘Olga Sorokina, Karen Shakhnazarov and Inna Perelekhova are terrific experts with extensive experience in multi-jurisdictional transactions. They also have strong capabilities in the private equity, financial services and good knowledgeable in all Russian and foreign corporate and commercial matters. It was nice to work with them.‘
‘In our case we worked with a number of lawyers: Olga Sorokina, managing partner, Karen Shakhnazarov, partner, and associates Georgii Murzakaev and Yuri Ustinov. They provided us very high quality services. All O2 Consulting lawyers I worked with established themselves as competent, UK-qualified, well-respected corporate and commercial experts with unique understanding of the clients’ needs and goals, capable of perfect drafting and communication‘
‘Karen Shakhnazarov’s excellent commercial acumen, combined with more than 20 years of legal expertise and a charismatic personality, makes him a partner to go for complex M&A transactions and difficult negotiations. Among the M&A team, Anna Chykhanatskikh is very bright, thoughtful and gets things done quickly. I have worked with Karen and Anna on a number of occasions and can recommend them to anyone who is looking for exceptional legal services.‘
AT Consulting, LLC
Promsvyaz Bank CJSC
Sum & Substance
Zyfra LLC, Renova Group
- Please provide a one sentence overview of the matter for publication on legal500.com, ie “represented Client A in its £20m acquisition of Company B”.
- O2 Consulting represented Wallarm Inc. (software developer, security of IT-systems) during the stage of the company’s Series A round of financing.
- O2 Consulting acted as a consent lawyer and assisted the client in its investment in iFarm, Inc., a technological startup developing solutions for automated cultivation of organic vegetables, berries and herbs in the cities all year round.
Ilya Bolotnov, Nikolay Solodovnikov, Sergei Shorin
Lamb Weston / Meijer
Mercedes Benz Rus
UFG Private Equity
Gucci Rus LLC
Kingston Technology Company, Inc.
- Please provide a one sentence overview of the matter for publication on legal500.com, ie “represented Client A in its £20m acquisition of Company B” The team handled a variety of issues related to both Client’s established upstream business, and the its function as a provider of procurement activities for the parent company group.
Rodin & Partners
Dr Artem Rodin
‘Advising on joint-ventures between foreign investors and major Russian companies for implementation of large-scale infrastructure projects is what the firm is known for. Fees are reasonable and quality of advice is perfect.‘
‘Artem Rodin is a good negotiator who is able to find solutions for the most complicated situations.‘
‘The tteam is experienced in advising on joint-ventures between foreing investors and major Russian companies, quality of work is very good and price is very competitive compared to other firms on the market.‘
‘Artem Rodin is a great negotiator focused on commercial success of the client and therefore he always finds unorthodox solutions which help parties to agree rather than disagree.‘
WTE Wassertechnik GmbH
Hitachi Zosen Inova AG
Russian Direct Investment Fund
- Advising Swiss Company Hitachi Zosen Inova AG – a global leader in construction and operation of waste-to-energy plants and having more than 500 such plants globally – on a Joint-Venture with RT-Invest and other Russian and international investors for the largest ever waste management project in Russia involving investment, erection and operation of 5 state of the art waste-to-energy plants in Russia (4 in Moscow Region and 1 in Kazan, Tatarstan).
- Advising leading Italian design and interiors company on acquisition of 30% of a Russian subsidiary company Lisar Ru from a shareholder.
- Advising major global beauty products producer and distributor from US on various issues of its commercial activity in Russia.
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal)
Artem Moyseenko, Gennady Odarich, Daria Tarasova
‘Perfect combination of international knowledge and requirements, with local knowledge and customs.‘
‘Artem Moyseenko – Chief Lawyer in charge / full oversight over the whole process and perfect coordination and execution of the entire transaction / key person to make the transaction happen!’
‘Alina Maslovskaya – Lawyer / perfect support, representation and execution of clients interests / always available / fast responder / very engaged’
Far East Development Fund
Russian Venture Company
Management Company PIK STR, LLC
Da Vinci Capital Group Ltd.
ITE Group Plc
Zapadnaya Gold Mining Limited
- Supported HITACHI, Ltd. in creation of the Joint Venture with Transmashholding, JSC (the biggest Russian company in the transport engineering industry).
- Supported Bayer AG in a global acquisition of the Monsanto Group amounted to USD 63 bln and its further integration.
- Legal and tax support in disposal of ITE Expo LLC (“ITE Expo”), the operating company for 56 of the Group’s Non-Core events in Russia, to Shtab-Expo LLC.
Suren Gortsunyan, Oleg Isaev, Vadim Kukushkin, Kirill Ratnikov
Upfield (backed by KKR)
Papa John’s International
- RGP represented the interests of LLC NPO Altair, en entity which is part of AEON Corporation, with respect to the acquisition of Fincraft Holdings Limited (Fincraft).
- RGP represented AEON Corporation, a private global investment group.
- RGP is representing Upfield, the global leader in plant-based nutrition with a strong track-record and a large portfolio of iconic brands.
‘TA Legal Consulting is a team of hihgly professional individuals. We were pleased to work with the firm. Consulting and research in the field of personal data and its protection that we recieved from TA Legal Consulting has helped to protect our business.’
‘Great nimble firm that takes a very commercial and pragmatic approach to legal issues. They are very response, get straight to the point and provide comprehensive and user-friendly advice. ‘
‘I needed a detailed review of a very complex matter and they communicated it with clarity. It was made in a way that the writer took responsibility for his/her observations and not just referring to legal paragraphs. It was very useful.‘
‘Marat is a very smooth and knowledgeable operator, he is very reliable and a good sounding board and has put together a great team.’
‘Very friendly and competent.‘
‘We were amazed by the pace of work and the ability of the team to deeply understand the key issues of our request, for that we are thankful to managing partner Marat Agabalyan.‘
‘I guess the most important thing is that they were in contact with us during the process in order not to miss any important detail. We made as many calls for interview as it was needed (since for us it was the most convenient way to communicate and describe the case)so the team was sure of what exactly we need to do. Then the documents were ready we made some follow up to clarify some points as well. And the replies were fast and efficient.‘
Trilife & Tristats
United Credit Bureau (OKB)
Entrepreneur Natalia Kaveshnikova
Torgovij Dom TT
Financial Consulting Group
- Advising UBT-Uralvagonzavod on a USD 18.5 m aircraft leasing contract with SB Leasing Ireland Limited, a subsidiary of Russia’s largest bank Sberbank.
- We have continued advising BRS on a USD 100 m project for producing chips and microchips for medical devices in Russia under a US licensed technology.
- Advising OKB on structuring data transfer in accordance with Russian law.
Tomashevskaya & Partners
Zhanna Tomashevskaya, Olga Khokhlova
‘I was really impressed with the ability of T&P lawyers to understand our business and find out what we need. Only then they sort the risks and prepare legal documents. They are very business oriented and strive to achieve the best result for the client.‘
‘Very professional and intelligent people/ lawyers in the firm. ‘
‘Olga Khokhlova – great technical skills, pragmatic negotiator, business thinking.‘
‘Dmitry Lafitskiy – excellent drafting skills, great understanding of English and Russian law and how they interplay.‘
‘I worked with several lawyers on the project, but my key contacts are Zhanna Tomashevskaya and Dmitry Lafitskiy. They are not nerdy outsourced lawyers, but excellent consultants, project managers, negotiators and problem solvers. They are thoroughly immersed in the details of what we do and how we work. They quickly understand the business goal and are able to juggle tasks in different areas of law. I like the fact that they don’t quit after the project is over, as after the transaction they switch to the support mode.‘
Inventive Retail Group
Rusnano Sistema SICAR
- Deal structuring for the sale of a development project.
- Full legal support on divestment of the Russian subsidiary of Westwing Group, international chain store specializing on household goods and furniture.
- Drafting the sale and purchase agreement for the sale of property
Westside Law Firm
Sergey Vodolagin, Natalia Vodolagina, Yegor Kravchenko
‘Westside Law Firm helps our Agency for all issues relating to corporate legal support. We hired them to register thebrabch of our Agency in Russia and since then we provide all legal work in Russia to them and we are glad with their services, they are always ready to go beynd purely legal services to help us.‘
‘The team is very strong, capable of solving all kinds of corporate tasks. They do all corporate legal work for us and support all tramsaction for the purchase of legal entities/sale of shares/restructuring. They are effective, fast and strategically thinking.‘
‘Westside Law Firm team can be distinguished by its well-built and coordinated work. Their feedback is swift, the advice is always relevant. The tams stand out for its multifunctionality: all lawyers are competent in corporate and M&A sphere, besides, they work hand-by-hand with other practices, such as dispute resolution and real estate, therefore, their advice is always weighted from different angles. They are also used to urgent requests.‘
‘The team of the aforementioned company was very attentive to all the specific and even minor details which were making our case not quite easy. Their precise and careful study and assessment of the presented documents resulted in the elaborated contract with our Italian partner. No detail was missed, all peculiarities of our co-operation with the Italian company were taken into account and expressed in a clear and well-defined statements. ‘
‘Sergey Vodolagin stands out for his profound knowledges, long successful track record of legal support of clients in various fields of law. He is the leader of the team and is accurate and effective is structuring work on complex and time-consuming projects. ‘
‘Yegor Kravchenko represented us in complicated M&A transactions and is able to find interesting solutions to challenging tasks. ‘
‘The individuals we work with are Sergei Vladimirovich Vodolagin, the managing partner and Kravtchenko Egor Sergeevich, a partner. ‘
Hilong Group of Companies (China)
Geely Motors (China)
Pfisterer (Germany, Switzerland)
Polish Investment and Trade Agency (Poland)
Comita Group of Companies (Russia, Slovenia)
Sports society “Russia”
Nebojsa Jankovic (Russia, Macedonia)
TEKsvyazengineering LLC (Russia)
- Representation of Hilong in creation of the joint venture with TMK.
- Representation of Pfisterer Holding in a massive corporate conflict with former management.
- Full legal support of Hilong Group in Russia for its corporate restructuring.
Yuridicheskaya Firma Magnusson
YUST Law Firm
Anna Kotova-Smolenskaya, Roman Cherlenyak, Alexander Rudyakov, Igor Kostennikov
Baltic Gas Chemical Company Ltd.
PJSC Globaltruck Management
Eurasian Trade and Logistics Center
Invasta Capital LLC
SYGMA. Novosibirsk LLC
- YUST provided full legal support to Baltic Gas Chemical Company Ltd. and it`s investors in connection to construction of a methanol producing plant with a capacity of approx. 1.7 million tons per year.
- The largest transaction in Russia related to banking and construction assets over the past few years for over USD 15 bln.
- Legal support for the Plakart project, one of the projects of RUSNANO, the largest investment company in Russia, specializing in the creation of nanotechnology industries.