Al Tamimi & Company In Association with Adv. Mohammed Al Marri's corporate and commercial team, which is 'second to none', distinguishes itself in some of the most high-profile transactions and projects seen in the Qatari market. Ahmed Jaafir has over a decade of experience assisting clients with their corporate structuring requirements. In addition, he is also sought after for corporate compliance advice. Jaafir works with Frank Lucente, who handles commercial transactions and competition related matters. The group acts for various Qatari businesses, blue-chip companies and regional players.
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Qatar
Frank Lucente; Ahmed Jaafir
Other key lawyers:
Zeina Al Nabih; Ayman Raad; Samiya Mitha
‘Al Tamimi are up there with the international law firms in Qatar. They can provide complex work at a good rate to the clients and have commercial sense. Their leading partners have been on the ground in Qatar for years.’
‘Ahmed Jaafir seem to have been around forever. He has a considerable client base, provides high quality work and is easy to work with, even on the opposite end of a transaction, as he evidences commercial awareness alongside in-depth knowledge of the laws and practices.’
‘Frank Lucente seem to have been around for as long as Ahmed has! He is capable of cleverly guiding foreign incoming investors, he speaks their language and has the local knowledge to present the existing legal framework and provide clients with smart solutions to their issues.’
‘The team’s strength and capabilities are second to none. Their local knowledge and wide regional coverage is what makes them stand out.’
‘Al Tamimi’s team are very professional, very open, very commercial and understand clients needs. They put the client first.’
Pratt & Whitney
Samba Financial Group
Bertelsmann SE & Co
Landesbank Baden-Württemberg (LBBW)
- Advising McNally Capital, a leading international insurer US venture capital provider, on its takeover of Orbis Operations, a leading international defence contractor in respect of its Qatar operations.
- Advising Samba Financial Group, a leading Saudi bank, on its big-ticket merger with National Commercial Bank of Saudi Arabia.
- Advising Bertelsmann, and co-ordinating the legal implementation for Bertelsmann, of the €1.25 billion Project Washington.
Dentons' ‘outstanding’ corporate practice is a first port of call among public and private companies, as well as government entities. It is regularly instructed to handle major M&A, foreign direct investments, corporate structuring and restructurings, and commercial contracts. Zaher Nammour has over 20 years of experience practising law in the Middle East. Safwan Moubaydeen acts for ultra-high-net worth individuals and families in the Gulf. Senior associate Faisal Moubaydeen is another key figure in the team, which is active in sectors such as energy (particularly power and mining), real estate and aviation.
Safwan Moubaydeen; Zaher Nammour
Other key lawyers:
‘The level of service provided by Dentons is outstanding, where their professional approach towards delivering appropriate advice, industry exposure, capabilities of the team members and commitment on our requirements make them unique. The entire team is prepared to carefully listen to our queries, analyze them with their expertise and provide us the perfect solutions.’
‘Mr. Safwan Moubaydeen is our numero uno at Dentons!’
‘Mr Safwan’s world wide connections and problem-solving skills have made him the go-to person, especially among the statesman, ruling, and royal families. Mr. Safwan has worked on several sensitive and highly confidential matters of the State and brings with him a wealth of experience. This has made Mr. Safwan the most sought after and distinguished lawyer in the state.’
‘Safwan has held our hands at every milestone, and he is involved in our strategy building process. Without Mr. Safwan’s sound advice, we could not have diversified in several jurisdictions in such a short time frame, not mentioning the millions of dollars in savings with his alternative strategies.’
‘Mr. Safwan is a supporting pillar in turning several long-shot ideas of our management into a reality. His technical skills are always at very high standards. Mr. Safwan Moubaydeen ensures the integrity and transparency with our investments. His timely and valuable information about the changes in the industry have undoubtedly motivate all of us to be updated consistently.’
‘Mr Safwan is the man with the midas touch, and there is no competition to him in Qatar.’
‘Mr. Faisal Moubaydeen is an outstanding lawyer who possesses vast knowledge in our industry and his analytical skills help us overcome any obstacle we may face in the corporate and commercial M&A deals. He plays a vital role in our strategic deals and his timely advices and actions have made our tasks so easy. Mr. Faisal Moubaydeen’s involvement in our projects has made him approachable anytime.’
‘Sara Moubaydeen is an energetic professional who always provides high concern for our requirements. She is accurate and competent in all the legal matters. Ms. Sara possesses a very good knowledge about the operations and activities related to our industry which is a bigger support for us. Her predictions and industry analysis have been accurate all the time and modern techniques she uses to provide accurate solutions are truly appreciable.’
Qatar Sports Investments (QSI)
Communication Regulatory Authority
The Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy
CIMIC Admin Services Pty Limited
Axia Power Holdings B.V.
The National Central Cooling Company
Qatar Islamic Bank (QIB)
- Advising Qatari government entity Qatar Sports Investments (QSI) on global IP issues, on current local and global claims and providing corporate structuring advice.
- Advising the Supreme Committe (SC) on important health and safety and operational matters in respect of the Qatar FIFA World Cup 2022, including mandatory obligations regarding recording and/or reporting incidents on site, and on the framework for investigating and enforcing health and safety legislation.
Simmons & Simmons Middle East
Led by Andrew Wingfield, the team at Simmons & Simmons Middle East excels in advising clients on high-profile M&A, corporate structuring, market entry and corporate governance, among various other matters. The firm is the only international firm to hold a licence from the Ministry of Justice and is able to independently act on Qatari law matters. Elias Matni joined K&L Gates.
Other key lawyers:
Maha Lawson; Jonathan Simons
‘Andrew Wingfield – stoic, bold, energetic, amusing, engaging to work with, knowledgeable. Maha Lawson – great attention to detail, compressive advice, knows the market well, helpful.’
Umm Al Houl Power P.Q.S.C.
Qatar Navigation Q.P.S.C. (Milaha)
Al Khalij Commercial Bank (al khaliji)
Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development
Qatar National Bank (Q.P.S.C.) (No.1 Qatar bank)
The Commercial Bank
Qatar Investment Authority / Qatar Holding
Qatar Free Zones Authority
Citibank Europe plc
Doha Venture Capital
- Advised the Qatar Free Zones Authority, acting on behalf of the wider government, on the formation of a strategic partnership with Google Cloud and the establishment of adata centre hub in Qatar.
- Advised Umm Al Houl on a number of matters relating tothe completion of the expansion to the Facility D Project (an independent water and power project with an originalcapacity of 2,500MW and a desalination component of136MIGD), including affecting the capitalisation ofshareholder loans and increasing the capital of the company.
Sultan Al-Abdulla & Partners has a strong track record handling a wide ambit of corporate and commercial issues arising at each stage of a company’s lifecycle. The team, which is jointly led by Salman Mahmood and William Cattan, has notable strengths in transactions, corporate structuring and tax issues, among various other matters. Experienced associate Omar Qouteshat is another key practitioner at the firm. Michael Earley is also recommended.
William Cattan; Salman Mahmood
Other key lawyers:
Michael Earley; Omar Qouteshat
‘ With the team being built on experience from various jurisdictions and commercial environments, it is well-equipped to lend support not only within Qatar, but also in other countries, where it enjoys a strong network of reliable connections. The administrative infrastructure and performance is also efficient and responsive, which eliminates billing disputes and the like.’
‘The team is very professional and willing to help. They are researching thoroughly and know the industry very well. They are coming up with flexible ideas and make ends meet.’
‘The team at Sultan Al Abdulla & Partners provides solid legal advice with regard to commercial matters related to Qatar. The work quality is high and the team members are reliable and responsive.’
‘I have mainly worked with Salman Mahmood, a partner in the firm. His legal advice as always been extremely helpful in the mandates we work on. He always replies on time and provides excellent legal services. In addition, he is a very friendly and nice person to work with.’
Al Khaliji Commercial Bank
Ahmed Rashad K. Abdelmegeed
- Assisted with a review of the new distributorship agreement to be entered into between Monster Energy and Coca Cola Al Mana WLL from a Qatar law perspective and responding to specific queries from Monster Energy in relation to certain specific terms of the agreement.
- Advised an international company specialized in the creation and operation of luxury outlet destinations on certain matters of Qatari law relevant to the launch of its remote virtual private shopping programme/model in Qatar.
- Advised an international board game company on certain matters of Qatari law relevant to the launch of a new board game in Qatar.
White & Case LLP has been a key fixture in the Qatari market for over 25 years. Its corporate team has extensive experience of handling large cross-border M&A for Qatari and regional clients. Also notable is that the practice is complemented by the firm’s strengths in ancillary disciplines, such as banking and finance, debt and equity capital markets, and real estate and construction. The practice in Doha is led by Charbel Abou Charaf, who has over 14 years of experience handling matters in the local market. New York-based partner Michiel Visser has a wealth of experience acting on high-profile M&A and restructurings.
Michiel Visser; Charbel Abou Charaf
‘In dealing with the White & Case team, we had the benefit of getting a wide spectrum of partners across the firm with extensive expertise in the various products, services and regulations we need to address.’
Qatar Investment Authority
United Arab Chemical Carriers Limited
Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy
Barwa Real Estate
Qatar Free Zone Authority
- Advised United Arab Chemical Carriers Limited (UACC), the Dubai-headquartered international shipping company, on entering into a definitive merger agreement to be acquired by United Overseas Group Ltd (UOG), a company controlled by Peter Georgiopoulos and Leonidas Vrondissis. Qatari shareholders of UACC included Qatar Holding LLC (largest shareholder), Milaha (Qatar Navigation) and Qatar Insurance Company.
- Advised the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) on its $200m acquisition of a ten percent stake in Borsa İstanbul A.Ş., the primary stock exchange operator in Turkey, from the Turkey Wealth Fund (TWF), the sovereign wealth fund of the Republic of Turkey.
- Advised the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) on its cornerstone investment in the Hut Group, as part of the Hut Group’s initial public offering and standard listing on the London Stock Exchange (LSE).
The ‘professional and insightful’ corporate team at Addleshaw Goddard attracts a strong flow of work from private and listed companies, shareholders, government entities and high-net-worth individuals, among other clients. The firm has a particularly strong reputation in capital markets transactions, including IPOs. Elsewhere, the broader practice encompasses inbound and outbound M&A, corporate structuring and licensing, as well as IP-related matters. Practice head Ahmad Anani has over two decades of experience operating in the GCC region and handles capital markets transactions, restructurings and joint ventures. Managing associate Alistair Stewart and experienced associate Dean Jaloudi are also key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Alistair Stewart; Dean Jaloudi
‘Ahmad Annani is one of the best law firm partners in the region.’
’Very professional and insightful.’
QLM Life and Medical Insurance Company
- Acting as lead international legal adviser in the QAR 659,400,000 IPO of QLM, one of the leading life and medical insurers in Qatar.
Clyde & Co LLP
At Clyde & Co LLP, the corporate team acts on domestic and cross-border mandates involving the oil and gas, infrastructure, technology, marine and education sectors, among others. Led by Lee Keane, its work includes M&A and private equity transactions, restructurings and joint ventures. The group also advises on the Qatari regulatory framework. Emma Higham leads the firm's employment and immigration practice. Associate Samer Saleh advises start-ups on corporate and commercial law matters.
‘Partner Lee Keane of the Doha office is very helpful in advising on all matters pertaining to doing business in Qatar. I have found him very flexible, friendly and approachable. He has certainly provided the advice and assistance necessary in our business pursuit in-country.’
‘Clyde & Co. team in Qatar bring a deep understanding of employment law in the MENA region and coupled with a very practical and commercial approach. Rebecca Ford and Emma Higham are both very knowledgeable and above to guide us through the complexities of local law and provide practical and clear advice and solutions.’
Accor Hotels Middle East & Africa FZ LLC
- Advised Qatari port operator QTerminals on the sale and purchase agreement for the acquisition of 99.99% of Akdeniz Port in Turkey from Global Ports Holding (GPH), the world’s largest independent cruise port operator.
- Successfully represented Qatari port operator QTerminals in the largest port concession tender in Ukraine.
- Advising and assisting Accor in relation to the establishment of a 100% foreign owned limited liability company in Qatar related to services being provided for the Qatar 2022 World Cup.
Dani Kabbani leads Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's corporate practice in Qatar, which is highlighted for its strengths in multijurisdictional M&A (including inbound and outbound investment transactions), IPOs and joint ventures. The firm also advises on almost all of the funds that are issued in Qatar, as well as advising on ultimate structures in Cayman Islands and Luxembourg. Sector strengths for the team include renewable energy and oil and gas. Principal associate Samer Sarkis is a key figure in the group.
Other key lawyers:
‘Eversheds Qatar has an extremely versatile team. They understand the market and the business very well and always deliver work of a high standard.’
‘Dani Kabbani is a very experienced lawyer and the main driver for Eversheds Qatar being at the forefront of international law firms. He is smart, business savvy and has the contacts to make things happen. An opinion from Dani is not just a reading of the law, but the culmination of his experience and contacts within the Qatari market.’
‘Samer Sarkis is very efficient, reliable and proactive.’
Al Faleh Educational Holding
- Advised Al Faleh Educational Holding in relation to its proposed listing on the newly established Venture Market of Qatar Stock Exchange.
- Advising Investment House (IH) in connection with new acquisitions relating to its private equity fund, targeting Qatari investors in the alternative asset class of commercial shipping.
- Advising QInvest on a structured real estate acquisition for the purpose of acquiring six buildings from a Qatari listed entity.
Al-Ansari & Associates
Al-Ansari & Associates’ corporate department is led by Rafi Sajian, who works closely with Salman Al-Ansari and Hossam Khamis. Al-Ansari has experience of advising multinational technology and communications companies on all aspects of their Qatari operations, including major acquisitions, and he has also been active in projects related to the 2022 World Cup. Sajian is a key name for compliance and regulatory work.
Other key lawyers:
Salman Al-Ansari; Hossam Farooq
‘Small team but highly committed to provide quality and timely service. Individuals are always available on short notice. They fully understand our business and concerns. They deliver in a solution-making spirit.’
‘The team has a unique ability to bring an international commercial outlook with detailed local legal knowledge, thanks to having a team of experienced local lawyers combined with lawyers who have previously worked for international law firms. As a result they bring impeccable client service with accurate detailed advice.’
Travelex Limited & Travelex Central Services Limited
Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy & FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 LLC
GHD Group Pty Ltd
Voltas Limited (Qatar)
Qatar Football Association
Travelex Qatar Q.S.C. Private
Al Jazeera Media Network
GWC (Gulf Warehousing Company QPSC)
- Advised Uber in relation to merger control risks and analysis of various issues arising out of its acquisition of Careem, a regional success story and rival in the vehicle hire and ride-hailing area.
- Appointed by Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, as legal advisory in relation to the 2022 World Cup. Includes advising on restructuring of entities and drafting legislation.
- Advised Travelex on the impact of its global restructuring on its Qatari local entity.
Arab Law Bureau
Alaa Hamad leads the corporate practice at Arab Law Bureau, which handles corporate structuring, commercial law matters and joint ventures for multinational companies. The group has demonstrable strengths in the energy (particularly oil and gas) and construction sectors.
‘Good support on foreign direct investment matters in Qatar’
‘Good industry contacts within Qatar and a pragmatic approach to legal issues.’
‘Alaa Hamad is an outstanding lawyer. Very knowledgeable and is able to breakdown and understand complex situations with ease. Also a pleasure to deal and work with.’
Noble Finance Company
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
Mesaieed Power Company
Qatar Islamic Bank
AXIA Power Holdings B.V. / Total Solar Int.
Mizuho Bank Ltd.
Al Mana Fashion Group W.L.L.
Symphony Tech Group
Lebanese firm Badri and Salim El Meouchi LLP handles corporate transactions, joint venture agreements and market entry advice for companies new to the Qatar market. Managing partner Chadia El Mouchi leads the group, with other key contacts including Walid Honein and Grace Alam, who both split their time between Beirut and Doha.
Chadia El Meouchi; Carine Farran
Banque Misr Liban
Saint-Gobain Middle East
Construction Development Company International
Projects Development Company
Audi Saradar Private Bank
- Led on the global and China structuring of Leaplearner, an education technology company, closed a $5.5m fundraising from investors in China, Lebanon, Singapore and the United States.
K&L Gates has an ‘excellent’ corporate practice in Doha, which advises government departments, banks and multinational companies on compliance and transactional matters. Amjad Hussain, who has over a decade of experience in the Qatari market, is recommended for cross-border M&A and outbound investments. Other key contacts include Pawel Piotrowski, counsel Simon Chan and Matthew Walker (whose practice is split between the London and Doha offices).
Amjad Hussain; Matthew Walker; Pawel Piotrowski
‘The team of K&L Gates has the reputation of being capable of handling sophisticated M&A.’
‘The individuals at K&L Gates are very professional and give their full attention to every matter they handle.’
‘K&L Gates have a very good team, harmonious, renowned and efficient. They provide high quality legal services, are knowledgeable of the market and industry, and they provide quality work. They stand out.’
‘The senior partner Amjad Hussain is a remarkable, very well known and trusted lawyer in commercial, corporate and M&A in Qatar, with a very accommodating personality and in-depth knowledge of his cases and transactions. He is very experienced in his field and highly recommended.’
‘Experienced team that can cater to a wide remit of client requirements. Able to tailor the team to bring in the right expertise as and when required. Always responsive and provide a quality service that allows me to have a high level of trust on the output.’
‘Simon Chan has a very strong and client-centric work ethic. He is also able to have the right balance of legal and commercial risk assessment to ensure transactions maintain traction and can get over the line. Amjad Hussain brings a strong client service and management ethic, as well as deep legal knowledge’
‘Amjad Hussain – Amjad is glad to assist us with any request. He would usually go the extra mile for his clients.’
Masraf Al Rayan
Lendable Asset Management LLC
Qatar First Bank
- Advising on the merger of Al Khaliji Commercial Bank with Masraf Al Rayan to create a bank with assets of $47bn, making it the second largest bank in Qatar and the largest Islamic bank in Qatar.
Sharq Law Firm’s ‘talented and driven’ team, which is jointly led by Rashid Al Saad Al Kuwari and Marwa Ali Bamatraf, advises local and international clients on M&A, spin-offs, joint ventures, LBOs and MBOs and PFI/PPP matters. It also demonstrates strong capabilities drafting and negotiating a wide array of commercial contracts for clients, such as agency, distribution and franchising agreements, as well as IP-related contracts and outsourcing arrangements. Senior associate Rayan Abou Daya is active in the construction, energy and retail sectors.
Rashid Saad Al Saad; Marwa Ali Bamatraf
Other key lawyers:
Rayan Abou Daya
‘We have been working with Rashid and his team at Sharq law firm up till this date in representing us and providing us with the needed legal services. It is a great chance to express their quality of their work and performance.’
‘I have had the pleasure of working with Sharq Law Firm in the past and have been extremely satisfied with their efforts. In particular, I was pleased with the work ethic and dedication shown by the corporate department. The Sharq Law Firm has a team of well driven and talented lawyers led by Rashid Al Saad whose hard work always pays off with favorable results. I would be delighted to recommend the firm to anyone who is in need of legal help.’
‘Rashid and Marwa has been hands on with our matter. They never fail to coordinate with us from the start until the end. I highly recommend their firm especially if it is corporate and commercial advice needed.’
K & L Gates
Qatar Development Bank
Pinsent Masons LLP
Qatar First Bank
College of the North Atlantic
Sidra Medical & Research Center
Qatar Chemical Company Ltd
Milaha Qatar Navigation QSC
Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy
White & Case
Al Majed Group
University Foundation College
Doha Elixir Trading
International Trade & Development
Al Rabban Oil and Gas
ANAS TEC Gulf Engineering L.L.C.
Al Rayyan Gold Refinery
Al Rayyan Mineral Water Co.
LLC Consortium Energoresurs
Assets Real Estate Development Co. WLL
Hire Equipment Co.
Al Adwani Law Firm
Alshaya Co. WLL
Financial Associates International
Miller Thomson LLP
Awfaz Global School
Blue Lynx Co.
Qatar Stars League Management
Advanced Drainage Systems, Inc.
Al Hitmi Property Development Co. – Gulf Biotec
University Foundation College
PSC Group Engineering Procurement & Construction
- Drafted a joint venture agreement between Al Rabban and Netlinkz for the further development and creation of encrypted networks which act as private networks operating above and beyond [standard] ordinarily accepted networks for QAR 100,000,000 and was thereafter announced on the Australian Securities Exchange.
- Advised Tintra Group on the relevant structure for the incorporation of a regulated entity under the QFC, this is currently ongoing and is pending further approvals.
- Advised on the transfer of shares of Qatar Engineering Construction Company between Ithmar Trading Company and KH Holding for the transfer of 713.335 shares worth QAR 61,531,450.00.
The corporate team at Shearman & Sterling LLP advises on cross-border corporate transactions across the Middle East. Also notable is that it has been advising the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) on strategic outbound investments, divestments, governance and structural matters for over 12 years. The practice is overseen by George Casey in New York and Laurence Levy in London.
George Casey; Laurence Levy
Qatar Investment Authority