Al Tamimi & Company In Association with Adv. Mohammed Al Marri displays a high level of expertise in corporate structuring and restructuring, M&A deals and initial public offerings involving Qatari businesses, and joint ventures between Qatari and global partners. Frank Lucente has in-depth expertise in a broad range of corporate and commercial transactions, as well as experience handling trusts, revenue and competition law matters. Ahmed Jaafir has a strong background in corporate compliance and regulatory matters.
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Qatar
Frank Lucente; Ahmed Jaafir
Canon Middle East
Al Khaliji Bank
Commercial Bank of Qatar
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
- Advising Uber in relation to a regulatory approvals issue linked to the $3.1bn Uber and Careem merger.
- Advising Msheireb on the drafting of all of the documentation in relation to sales and leasing with respect to the creation of a new city within the municipality of Doha.
- Advising Pratt & Whitney as lead counsel in implementing the restructuring of its operations in Qatar.
Dentons has a broad corporate and commercial offering and regularly advises regulators, banks, and national and multinational corporations. Key sectors of focus include energy, banking, aviation and TMT. Safwan Moubaydeen heads the corporate and commercial practice and has a strong background in international finance and business. Zaher Nammour focuses on corporate joint ventures, M&A, restructuring and public offerings.
Safwan Moubaydeen; Zaher Nammour; Andrew Jones
‘The team have an excellent reputation. They offer very open and direct dialogue with straight answers, and are quick and professional.’
‘Very good personal contact. Reliable. Honest advice.’
Qatar Airways Group Q.C.S.C.
Qatar Sports Investments
Qatar Mining Company Q.S.C.
Qatar International Islamic Bank Q.S.C.
Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy
Axia Power Holdings B.V. (subsidiary of Marubeni Corp)
Total Solar International
- Advising the Communications Regulatory Authority of Qatar on a variety of matters, including the preparation of a dual-language Qatar Consumer Protection Regulations module for consultation with the key industry stakeholders.
- Assisted Qatar Sports Investments with reviewing contracts and providing corporate structuring advice.
- Advising the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy on a number of matters relating to the Fifa World Cup 2022, including the standardisation of commercial agreements and the establishment of a think tank.
Sultan Al-Abdulla & Partners advises clients from a range of industries and has in-depth expertise in handling cross-border corporate and tax structuring. Practice head Salman Mahmood has extensive experience in the energy and infrastructure sectors and in corporate finance. William Cattan also heads the practice and has a strong background in the energy sector. Founding and managing partner Sultan Al-Abdulla and senior associate Michael Earley are also noted.
William Cattan; Salman Mahmood
Other key lawyers:
Sultan Al-Abdulla; Michael Earley
‘Sultan Al-Abdulla & Partners has an extremely experienced team who truly understand the market and the needs of global businesses. Their advice is excellent, practical and actionable and they are uniquely able to assist clients with their most complex legal challenges.’
‘Sultan Al-Abdulla & Partners has an extremely strong team and you can always count on them to quickly engage on client matters. Will Cattan is a key standout. He brings decades of experience and gives his personal attention to each and every matter. Clients trust his judgement and his ability to help navigate local law.’
Al Rajhi Group
Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum, Inc.
Drake & Scull Qatar/UAE
Sacyr Construccion SA
Virgin Health Bank
Qatar Petroleum Development Company Ltd.
- Assisting a business software solutions provider with the restructuring of two Qatari entities, one established in the Qatar Science and Technology Park, and one established as a Ministry of Commerce and Industry licensed limited liability company.
White & Case LLP advises corporate clients from a broad range of sectors, including sports, media, infrastructure, petrochemicals, hospitality and financial services. The team has significant experience advising state-owned entities, and is recognised for its high level of expertise in handling M&A deals. New York-based Michiel Visser has an active presence in the Qatari market and advises on high-profile M&A and restructuring deals. Doha-based Charbel Abou Charaf was promoted to partner in 2020 and has significant local and outbound M&A experience.
Michiel Visser; Charbel Abou Charaf
‘White & Case is by far the number one international law firm in Doha. Their advice is always accurate, whether locally or globally. They are reliable and always available for assistance. They are diversified and can cater to our needs. Very strong position in M&A deals.’
‘We work with Charbel Abou Charaf. He is very knowledgeable, experienced in international M&A, hands on, available and reliable.’
Qatar Investment Authority
Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy
Qatar Aluminium Limited (Qatalum)
- Advised the Qatar Investment Authority, the sovereign wealth fund of the State of Qatar, on its acquisition of a significant stake in Oryx Midstream Services from an affiliate of Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners.
- Advised Qatar Petroleum in relation to the IPO of Qatar Aluminium Manufacturing Co. and its listing on the Qatar Stock Exchange.
- Advised Amwal LLC on the transfer of certain investment management funds and mandates to Aventicum Capital Management, an asset management joint venture owned by Credit Suisse and the Qatar Investment Authority.
Clyde & Co LLP
Clyde & Co LLP has a broad corporate and commercial practice with expertise across a range of sectors, including infrastructure, oil and gas, education and hospitality. Its client base includes both Qatari and international companies. Lee Keane, who has significant experience in the education and healthcare sectors, is a key name to note and advises on cross-border M&A, private equity, joint ventures and restructurings. Emma Higham leads the work on all matters relating to employment.
Other key lawyers:
Emma Higham; Lee Keane
Consortium of GCC insurers and international reinsurers
- Successfully represented Qatari port operator QTerminals in the largest port concession tender in Ukraine.
- Advised Orbital Education on its joint venture agreement with United Development Co. for the founding and operation of United School International, a British-style international school on the Pearl development in Doha.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP has significant experience advising on complex M&A transactions and assisting government bodies with a range of corporate and commercial matters. The team displays expertise in handling cross-border M&A deals, including both inbound and outbound investment transactions. Managing partner Dani Kabbani leads the corporate offering and works closely with government bodies on matters ranging from joint ventures and M&A to funds and IPOs.
Dani Kabbani; Richard Ward
The First Investor
Yara Nederland B.V.
Sheikh Mohamed Fahed M Al Thani
Gulf Agency Company
Inchcape Shipping Company
American Bureau of Shipping
International Protection & Indemnity Clubs
Bouygues Batiment International
Qatar Financial Centre (QFC)
Mather & Company Limited
Public Works Authority of Qatar
Ministry of Transport
Ministry of Finance in Qatar
Ministry of Health in Qatar
- Advising Qatargas and Rasgas following their operational merger on the amendment of the constitutional documents of 12 oil and gas ventures in accordance with the new Qatari Commercial Companies Law.
- Advised Yara on its restructuring and ultimate disposition of its interest in Qatari petrochemical joint venture QAFCO.
- Advised Aventicum Capital Management (a subsidiary of Credit Suisse) on its acquisition of the fund management business of Amwal.
Addleshaw Goddard has a 'detail-oriented and cooperative' team that displays a wide range of expertise in commercial, corporate and M&A work. The team regularly advises on M&A, joint ventures, disposals and reorganisations, and IPOs are a particular focus. Ahmad Anani, who heads the Qatar office, has a strong background in corporate and capital markets matters.
‘Addleshaw Goddard proved themselves as very effective and professional case managers. In addition, they were detail oriented and cooperative.’
‘The firm is an excellent manager of large due diligence projects and a true expert in commercial, corporate and M&A.’
- Acting as lead international legal adviser to Baladna QPSC on its QAR 1.43bn IPO.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP advises on cross-border corporate and M&A transactions, corporate restructurings and equity capital market transactions from its offices in London and Dubai. Anthony Traboulsi, who is based in Dubai, has experience in capital markets transactions, M&A and corporate restructurings and is a key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Qatar National Bank
The Commercial Bank
Investment Holding Group
Qatar Islamic Bank
Masraf Al Rayan
beIn Channels Network
Constellation Hotels Holding Limited
Al Faisal Holding
- Advising Mitsubishi in connection with the transfer of its shareholding in ETA Melco Elevator Company LLC.
- Advising Saham Group on the sale of its 49% equity stake in Ecco Gulf (a leading contact centre operator and business process outsourcer) to Majorel Group.
- Advising Qatar Foundation Endowment on the sale of its shareholding in Gulf Bridge International Inc. to a confidential buyer.
Arab Law Bureau
Arab Law Bureau displays experience in M&A, corporate restructurings and the structuring of funds. The team offers a range of commercial advice, particularly in the fields of energy, construction and infrastructure. Managing partner Alaa Hamad is a key point of contact with expertise in commercial, corporate, and banking and finance matters.
Badri and Salim El Meouchi LLP offers a wide range of corporate and commercial services, including advising on M&A transactions. The practice specialises in assisting with corporate structures and frameworks. Key sectors of strength include financial services, tax, technology, oil and gas, telecoms and real estate. Managing partner Chadia El Meouchi and Carine Farran are key names to note.
Chadia El Meouchi; Carine Farran
Banque Misr Liban
Saint-Gobain Middle East
Construction Development Company International
Projects Development Company
Audi Saradar Private Bank
- Assisting LeapLearner with its Series B fundraising.
K&L Gates advises on a wide range of corporate and commercial issues, with an emphasis on transactions in the TMT sector. Infrastructure, construction and financial services are other key areas of expertise. Amjad Hussain has a broad corporate, commercial and finance practice, and displays strong knowledge of the TMT and infrastructure sectors.
Amjad Hussain; Matthew Walker
Barwa Real Estate QPSC
Masraf Al Rayan QPSC
Qatar Financial Centre Authority
Qatar Free Zones Authority
Qatar Media City
United Development Company QPSC
Free Zones Authority
- Acting as sole legal counsel for Iberdrola in Qatar, and advising on a number of energy-related research projects on which Iberdrola is collaborating with Qatar Foundation, Qatar University and Hamad Bin Khalifa University, including negotiating framework agreements.
- Advising the Qatar Free Zones Authority on the establishment and implementation of the Free Zones in the State of Qatar.
Sharq Law Firm advises a range of clients including state-backed entities, family conglomerates, listed and unlisted local and global companies, and financial institutions. Key areas of work include due diligence, post-acquisition advisory, outsourcing and offshoring contracts, joint ventures and private equity M&A. Rashid Al Saad has a broad range of expertise in corporate transactions and the hotels and construction sectors.
Rashid Al Saad
K & L Gates
Qatar Development Bank
Pinsent Masons LLP
Qatar First Bank
College of the North Atlantic
Sidra Medical & Research Center
Qatar Chemical Company Ltd
Milaha Qatar Navigation QSC
Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy
White & Case
Al Majed Group
University Foundation College
Doha Elixir Trading
International Trade & Development
Al Rabban Oil and Gas
ANAS TEC Gulf Engineering L.L.C.
Al Rayyan Gold Refinery
Al Rayyan Mineral Water Co.
LLC Consortium Energoresurs
Assets Real Estate Development Co. WLL
Hire Equipment Co.
Al Adwani Law Firm
Alshaya Co. WLL
Financial Associates International
Miller Thomson LLP
Awfaz Global School
Blue Lynx Co.
Qatar Stars League Management
Advanced Drainage Systems, Inc.
Al Hitmi Property Development Co. – Gulf Biotec
- Assisted Al Rabban Oil & Gas with the drafting of over ten agreements including MoUs, service agreements and technical agreements relating to the extraction of crude oil worth a total transactional value of QAR 5bn.
- Appointed as legal counsel to a real estate company in a QAR 1.8bn transaction to acquire a major subsidiary of a competitor.
- Advised Qatar Petroleum on the establishment of a Qatari public shareholding company to be listed on the Qatar Stock Exchange.
From locations in the USA, London, and elsewhere, Shearman & Sterling LLP provides Quatari clients with the full range of corporate and finance support on their global investments. George Casey in New York (global managing partner), Laurence Levy and John Inglis in London and Domenico Fanuele in Rome are the main contacts. The work encompasses cross-border M&A transactions, carve-out sales, strategic investments and joint ventures. It offering extends to capital markets and specialist funds matters.