Shipping matters and maritime law are mainstays of the practice at Ana Cristina Pimentel & Associados Sociedade de Advogados, SP, RL, which is also adept in the air and road sectors. The firm is a traditional player in the transport industry, and has established a solid reputation among shipowners, port operators, insurance companies and P&I clubs. Founding partner Ana Cristina Pimentel is a leading practitioner in this area.
Transport in Portugal
Ana Cristina Pimentel & Associados Sociedade de Advogados, SP, RL
Andrade Dias e Associados
One of the first choices for P&I clubs, Andrade Dias e Associados also provides legal support to banks, insurers, shipowners and port operators on the full array of maritime law matters. The broad service offering covers transactional mandates, such as ship finance, purchases and sale, and vessel registration, as well as contentious matters, including litigation and arbitration. Pedro Andrade Dias is a key practitioner.
The transport department at Cuatrecasas is noted for its specialist expertise in the aviation sector, where it provides advice to an impressive roster of international clients in relation to M&A, financing, EU regulations, competition, tax and litigation. Furthermore, the team is adept in work across the entire range of transport sub-sectors, including rail, cargo, road and shipping. Aviation expert Luís Soares de Sousa is a key point of contact for charter air transport companies, and stands out for his cross-border experience in leasing and financing transactions. Maria João Ricou is the name to note for project finance, while Lourenço Vilhena de Freitas specialises in public law issues.
Luís Soares de Sousa; Lourenço Vilhena de Freitas; Maria João Ricou
Beacon Rail Finance
Westpac Banking Corporation
Milestone Aviation Group
Apollo Aviation Management Limited
Rolls-Royce & Partners Finance Limited
Aercap Ireland Limited
Textron Financial Corporation
EJME Aircraft Management
Willis Lease Finance Corporation
Helibravo – Aviação LDA.
MSC – Mediterranean Shipping Company
EMEF – Empresa de Manutenção de Equipamento Ferroviário
Metropolitano de Lisboa
Metro do Porto
CP – Comboios de Portugal
Iridium Concessiones de Infraestructuras, S.A
CINTRA Concessiones de Infraestructuras, S.A
Auto-Estradas do Atlântico
Cross Ocean Partners
- Advising Rolls-Royce & Partners Finance Limited on several engine sale and leaseback transactions between Rolls-Royce & Partners Finance and national flagship air company TAP.
- Assisting CP- Comboios de Portugal in the public procurement proceedings concerning the acquisition of 22 traction units (base value of €168m), as well as in the judicial proceedings challenging the award decision.
- Providing Portuguese law advice to Euroscut Açores with respect to the Covid-19 pandemic effects on the concession, particularly considering the legal measures adopted by the Portuguese government.
DLA Piper ABBC is a leading player in the aviation sector, assisting an impressive client base of airlines in the full range of sector-related mandates, including regulatory issues, contractual work and litigation. Typical matters also include advising aircraft lessors in transactions involving Portuguese assets. Practice head António Moura Portugal is a highly regarded aviation law expert. He receives key support from a strong team of associates: Inês Teixeira focuses on regulatory matters pertaining to the aviation sector, while Catarina Portela Morais is proficient in licensing and contentious matters.
António Moura Portugal
Other key lawyers:
Inês Teixeira; Catarina Portela Morais
‘Profound knowledge of the commercial aviation sector in Portugal.’
‘This law firm stands out from the others not only for the professionalism and dedication of its lawyers but also for the expertise it has in the area of air transport.’
‘António Moura Portugal is recommeneded for his vast experience in the area of air transport. Catarina Portela Morais stands out for her experience and Inês Teixeira has significant expertise in the area of VAT / CIVA legislation.’
TAAG (Angolan airlines)
Royal Air Maroc
- Assisted Air France/KLM in a €4m litigation with ANA Airports regarding boarding bridge charges.
- Recently retained by Qatar Airlines to assist its newly opened operation in Portugal and is representing the airline in all matters related to its activity in Portugal.
- Representing easyJet in all contentious matters in Portugal (both related to regulatory matters and employment matters).
Abreu Advogados' maritime and transport practice brings together multi-disciplinary expertise to assist clients with the entire range of financing, corporate and tax issues, as well as international trade, competition and environmental law. The practice is under the joint leadership of two partners: Guilherme Santos Silva, who is experienced in the enforcement of debt on ships and airplanes, and litigation; and Pedro Alves da Silva, who advises on commercial and contractual issues pertaining to the aviation, fuel distribution and automotive industries. The arrival of Nuno Luís Sapateiro in June 2021 provided a further boost to the practice.
Guilherme Santos Silva; Pedro Alves da Silva
Other key lawyers:
Manuel de Andrade Neves; Nuno Luís Sapateiro
Embraer Portugal., S.A.
Ogma – Indústria Aeronáutica De Portugal, S.A.
Expeditors Portugal Transitários, Lda.
Patentes Talgo SLU
- Assisting Embraer group in all matters related to the sale of five customised military aircrafts – Embraer KC-390 – to the Portuguese government.
- Advising Globalvia on all matters related to the operation of two highway concessions in Portugal.
- Assisted TALGO with the public tender for the acquisition of railway rolling stock (20 units) and maintenance works for several years.
Focusing on aviation law, the practice at APTS - Alves Pereira & Teixeira de Sousa, S.P., R.L. has broad capabilities across the full range of air transport matters. On the transactional side, the team is particularly adept at assisting with the sale and purchase of aircraft, as well as leasing mandates. Furthermore, the team showcases an impressive track record in dispute resolution, notably proceedings involving aviation accidents and insurance issues. João Marques de Almeida, who often works in close association with well-reputed international law firms, leads advice to a diverse roster of airlines and insurers.
João Marques de Almeida
Other key lawyers:
José Alves Pereira
‘João Marques Almeida’s work and dedication are a constant and his availability combined with always up-to-date knowledge gives clients additional security.’
‘João Marques Almeida is extremely thorough, spares no effort and is always willing to review each situation from all possible angles in order to outline the best strategy.’
‘Quick response and good dedication.’
‘Quickly understands the problem and provides good support.’
Air Charter Service
Aircraft Engine Lease Finance (AELF)
Bombardier Aerospace Corporation
BNP Paribas Leasing Solutions Suisse S.A.
Jetsons Aviation LLC
L3Harris Technologies, Inc.
La Réunion Aérienne
OGMA-Indústria Aeronáutica de Portugal, SA
Pratt & Whitney Canada
The Aviation Factory
Sky Aviation Leasing
- Assisting Aircraft Engine Lease Finance Inc with the purchase of an Airbus A330-223 and subsequent lease novation, lease termination and new lease of said aircraft to a Portuguese international airline.
- Assisting Jetsons Aviation LLC in the purchase of a Falcon 7ZX (Dassaut Aviation) aircraft and its de-registration and exportation from Portugal to the USA.
- Acting for OGMA (a Portuguese Maintenance, Repair and Overall facility) and its insurers in a dispute involving an aircraft accident immediately after heavy maintenance being performed in an Embraer E190 aircraft.
Mandates pertaining to financing, insurance, tax and litigation are all areas of activity for the transportation team at Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados, which has also seen an increase in instructions related to dispute resolution arising from regulatory matters. Segismundo Pinto Basto oversees the firm's aviation practice, which is sought after by leading private air carriers and aircraft suppliers looking for advice on matters involving contractual issues, leasing and sale and purchase of assets. Shipping is another strong point for the firm, which stands out for its expertise in the registration of vessels and ship mortgages with the International Shipping Registry of Madeira. Dual-qualified Claudia Santos Cruz is the name to note for ship finance and arrest matters. Cátia Henriques Fernandes, who was based in the Funchal office, left the team.
Segismundo Pinto Basto; Luís Roquette Geralde
Other key lawyers:
Claudia Santos Cruz
- Represents high-level employees of ANAC, who are being held criminally responsible for the acts of attack to air transportation concerning the death of two persons following an emergency landing of an aircraft in the S. João da Caparica beach.
- Representing several companies of the OMNI Group, a major provider of private airplane and helicopter charter services, and also members of their staff, in a vast number of regulatory proceedings.
- Advising SFT Angola on structuring a fishing vessel joint venture to operate in Angola between a company incorporated in Angola and a company incorporated in the Seychelles.
PLMJ is retained by a diverse client base, comprising banks, financial services players and operating lessors on the gamut of aviation mandates. The team showcases particular strength in transactional work, including aircraft finance and purchases, as well as leasing matters. Recent engagements also included providing ongoing assistance to lessors in relation to the management of the contractual implications resulting from the Covid-19 crisis. In addition, the practice has extensive experience in the urban mobility sector, having been busy assisting new road transport operators. Diogo Perestrelo and Pedro Lomba oversee the group. Nuno Luís Sapateiro left the firm in June 2021.
Diogo Perestrelo; Pedro Lomba
‘Very experienced and proactive team for aircraft finance: they have a deep understanding of the local requirements for aircraft and lease registration and how this fits into international financing and leasing transactions. The team is able to coordinate the logistics of the execution formalities without over-complicating matters and maintains good relationships across the industry.’
‘Nuno Luís Sapateiro stands out because he is very commercial-minded and solutions focused in addition to being highly knowledgeable and well connected in the industry.’
‘Multidisciplinary practice that is innovative in the proposal of solutions, provides quick responses, and is oriented by the needs of the client.’
‘Nuno Luís Sapateiro is experienced, available, knowledgeable, and focused on finding the solution’
‘As a firm that is active in the aviation sector, the PLMJ team showed a good understanding of the key issues relating to an aircraft sale and purchase transaction. Lawyers were very commercial in their approach and showed excellent knowledge of governmental issues relating to the deal.’
‘Nuno Sapateiro was the key PLMJ contact. He was very accessible and provided clear advice on aviation and corporate issues. PLMJ’s role as local deal counsel made the transaction run smoothly and showed a clear level of expertise and experience.’
‘It was refreshing to collaborate with external counsel that was as invested in getting the transaction over the line as we were as lead counsel.’
‘Nuno Luís Sapateiro was extremely helpful and very responsive.’
Aero Capital Solutions, Inc.
Air Lease Corporation
Avolon Aerospace Leasing
Azul Linhas Aéreas Brasileiras S.A.
Credit Suisse (Aviation Finance)
Estaleiros Navais de Viana do Castelo, S.A.
Kapten / Transopco
Macquarie Aircraft Leasing Services
Nordic Aviation Capital
TAP Air Portugal
- Assisting Flixbus in its expansion to the domestic market of long distance bus services.
- Assisting Free Now in the merger between Kapten and Free as an integrated platform of mobility services.
The transport and logistics group at Raposo Bernardo handles a variety of work pertaining to aviation and maritime law, including financing transactions, as well as aviation, cruise and cargo ship insurance matters. The practice stands out as a go-to destination for leading companies in the cruise sector; engagements range from assistance with cargo claims, regulatory and contractual issues, to employment matters and dispute resolution. Joana Andrade Correia is experienced in aviation finance and leasing, and managing associate Júlio Martins Júnior has relevant experience in cross-border matters.
Joana Andrade Correia; Júlio Martins Júnior
‘The quality of Raposo Bernardo & Associados is knowledgeable of all legislation and regulations pertaining to aviation. They are aware of clients’ business, which facilitates our relationship. They also demonstrate enormous resilience in the course of a more complicated subject. Joana Andrade Correia, leader of the department, stands out.’
‘We have been using Raposo Bernardo’s services for two years now and so far we are very satisfied. The service provided is very high, and it is on the same level as any international law firm specialised in aviation Law.’
‘We work with several departments of Raposo Bernardo, but the basis of our relationship is with the department of transport, especially Aviation. Raposo Bernardo is lucky enough to have Joana Andrade Correia leading this department, one of the best lawyers I know in aviation. She has a way of doing super sophisticated advocacy. She knows everything there is to know in relation to national, European and international aviation regulations. She is extremely sharp, with a reasoning that goes straight to the point and manages to solve what would seem impossible at first.’
‘The team is extremely knowledgeable of the transport sector, covering aviation, shipping, cruises, roads and railways. Joana Andrade Correia is an international expert in cruises and very reputable with freight forwarders and maritime transport and shipping companies.’
‘The quality of the service provided is exceptional. The team’s capabilities are many, with a special emphasis on: absolute mastery of the transport area, focus on providing clients with the best results, adequate response to our needs, clarity in the answers, practical and problem-solving spirit. I think that all these elements clearly distinguish Raposo Bernardo & Associados in the market.’
‘Raposo Bernardo gives us the best legal support not only in maritime / cruises but also in aviation, where I also consider them excellent. Joana Andrade Correia knows everything there is to know about our sector, how a cruise ship works, the complexity of transactions and the specificity of terms and language. She is extremely determined and combative and is completely aligned with the objectives we set as clients. She is an excellent negotiator.’
With a presence in Lisbon, Funchal and Porto, SRS Advogados demonstrates particular strength assisting the main port authorities in Portugal in all matters concerning their activities, including concessions, public procurement and administrative proceedings. Maritime law is another area of expertise; the practice is a popular choice for ship owners in relation to disputes, construction and registration issues. Public law expert José Luís Moreira da Silva has extensive experience in the transport sector and leads the practice, which is skilled across rail, road, shipping, aviation and logistics matters. Alexandre Roque is proficient in administrative litigation involving maritime law issues.
José Luís Moreira da Silva
Other key lawyers:
Maria José Santana; Alexandre Roque
‘Enormous experience in public law, founded on a serious, diversified and successful judicial practice.’
‘José Luís Moreira da Silva is undoubtedly a great lawyer. His enormous experience and preparation gives the client the confidence to work in delicate and sensitive administrative and pre-litigation cases. He has a great knowledge of the national and international legal and administrative environment, thus speeding up negotiations and other moments of contractual formulation.’
Port Authority of Lisbon
Port Authority of Setúbal and Sesimbra
Port Authority of Sines
Horários do Funchal, SA
Empark, Aparcamientos y Servicios,
EISAP – European International Shipowners Association of Portugal
SAM – Sociedade de Automóveis da Madeira, Lda.
Via Marítima, Lda
CP – Caminhos de Ferro de Portugal
IMV Holding BV
- Advising European Mar on various issues of ship registration in the Madeira Shipping Register and on contacts with Portuguese public entities regarding ship registration, interpretation and application of Portuguese legislation and International Conventions.
- Advising Transtejo and the government on the new 10-year concession contract for the inland maritime passenger and vehicle transport in the Tagus river.
- Assisted SAM – Sociedade de Automóveis da Madeira with the analysis and negotiation of the new public service contract for the road transport of passengers within Madeira Island.
Legal advice to transport-sector clients is provided by the infrastructure and mobility department at VdA, which fields cross-practice expertise in finance, public law, competition and M&A. The team has broad capabilities in the development and financing of PPP projects in the rail, road, airport, port and logistics sectors, as well as public procurement, leasing and restructuring transactions. Its expertise in shipping matters covers advice on cargo recovery, pollution claims, ship arrests and sale and purchase deals; oil and gas-related work is another core area of activity. Paulo de Barros Baptista heads up the team, which also includes José Miguel Oliveira and Teresa Empis Falcão.
Paulo de Barros Baptista
Other key lawyers:
Teresa Empis Falcão; Rodrigo Esteves de Oliveira; José Miguel Oliveira
- Advised the José de Mello Group, majority shareholder of Brisa Auto-Estradas de Portugal, the main concessionaire of motorways in Portugal, on the joint sale of two blocks of shares representing a total of 81.1% of Brisa’s voting rights.
- Represented ELOS in an arbitration proceeding against the Portuguese State following the cancellation of the High-Speed Railway (Lisbon-Madrid Line – Poceirão/Caia section) project.
- Advised BNP Paribas in connection with the refinancing of an Airbus A320NEO aircraft to CAVIC 40 Designated Activity Company, owned by CAVIC Aviation Leasing (Ireland) Co., Designated Activity Company, both incorporated under Irish law.
Albuquerque & Almeida is regularly instructed by clients operating in the transport sector seeking advice on public law matters, notably public procurement procedures, harbour concession agreements and dispute resolution. Its client roster predominantly features port corporations, airport operators, cargo carriers, container concessionaires and shipping groups. Public law expert Alexandre de Albuquerque and João Salvador, whose areas of expertise include shipping finance, jointly lead the department.
Alexandre de Albuquerque; João Salvador
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly experienced team with great knowledge of the subjects and clients’ business, advising on their relationship with the State (government agencies and public administration). Great ability to adapt to stressful situations and / or changing circumstances.’
‘Alexandre de Albuquerque has extensive experience and knowledge in the area of transport, business projects and public tenders. He has great knowledge of the core business and strategies of the client and the capacity to solve unexpected problems and other complex situations from the legal or contracting point of view. Diana Silveira possesses enormous experience and knowledge of projects, concessions and other public tenders in the area of maritime, river and port transport. She is always available. João Salvador is also recommended for his expertise in maritime law, charter contracts and maritime damage.’
‘The knowledgeable team works well as a whole led by Alexandre Albuquerque.’
ANA – Aeroportos de Portugal, S.A.
Transinsular – Transportes Marítimos Insulares SA
- Provides assistance to ETE Group on matters related to the follow up of the concession agreements, navigation and forwarding agent relations.
- Provided assistance to the ANA Expansion Plan of Portuguese airports, specifically in respect of dozens of various public procurement procedures regarding public construction works and also the provision of goods and services to the public entity.
- Assisted ETE Group on a restricted tender by prior qualification for the public service concession of the inter-island maritime transport of cargo and passengers in Cabo Verde.
Linklaters' project department undertakes a range of work involving the transport sector, having recently been active in highway sub-concession matters, renegotiations of port concession agreements and public procurement procedures involving railways. The practice works closely with the public law group, and is able to provide specialist regulatory advice to a varied client roster in the transport sector. Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho leads the department. Vera Eiró is no longer at the firm.
Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho
‘The service provided is of good quality and they are on your side during the whole process, always taking care of every detail.’
ViaPorto, Operação e Manutenção de Transportes, Unipessoal, Lda.
CRRC Tangshan Co., Ltd.
STADLER RAIL VALENCIA, S.A.
- Advised Stadler Group as bidder in the context of a competitive procedure launched by CP – Comboios de Portugal for the purchase and maintenance of 22 new rolling stock for the national railway, for a three-year period.
- Assisting CRRC Tangshan. Co. Ltd, a Chinese state-owned company, on a public tender to supply Metro do Porto with 18 light rail vehicles as well as the maintenance for five years.
- Advising Barraqueiro Group, on behalf of ViaPorto, on the execution of the sub-concession agreement of Metro do Porto light railway system.
Aircraft finance is at the core of the aviation practice at Miranda & Associados. In addition, the team is retained by clients in relation to leasing transactions, air transport license issues, engine registration, insurance and litigation. Practice head Mafalda Oliveira Monteiro has significant experience in civil aviation issues in Portugal and abroad, with a particular emphasis on African countries.
Mafalda Oliveira Monteiro
Other key lawyers:
Bruno Sampaio Santos
Sérvulo & Associados has a proven track record in all areas of transport (including aviation, rail, road and shipping), drawing upon its reputation in public law. The practice is regularly engaged by the state and other public bodies in mandates pertaining to road and rail projects involving concessions and PPP structures. It is adept at advising on regulatory, transactional, litigation and transport-related financing work, having recently expanded its service offering to clients in the aviation and aeronautics sectors. Ana Luísa Guimarães and Mark Kirkby are the key points of contact in the team.
Ana Luísa Guimarães; Mark Kirkby
‘Sérvulo demonstrated professionalism and knowledge in the tasks performed. I would like to highlight the work of Ana Luísa Guimarães.’
‘Ana Luisa Guimarães has in-depth knowledge of the public passenger transport market, which is very specific and not easy to find.’
‘There was a wide range of new legislation that had never been applied and was subject to the first interpretation. Sérvulo was undoubtedly a pioneer in this matter. They quickly mastered this area of knowledge.’
‘In addition to the entire legal component of the process, Ana Luísa Guimarães lent themself to the review of technical documents with a critical analysis of their meaning in order not to lend themselves to misinterpretations in the context of the competition.’
Metropolitan Area of Lisbon (AML)
Metropolitan Area of Oporto (AMP)
CIM Alto Alentejo
CIM Alto Tâmega
CIM Região de Aveiro
CIM Beira Baixa
CIM Beiras e Serra da Estrela
CIM Região de Coimbra
CIM Viseu Dão-Lafões
CIM Terras de Trás-os-Montes
Municipality of Portimão
CIM Região de Coimbra
Municipality of Marinha Grande
Metropolitano de Lisboa, E.P.E.
Infraestruturas de Portugal, I.P.
ANEPC – Autoridade Nacional de Emergência e Proteção Civil (National Civil Emergency and Protection Authority)
Metropolitano de Lisboa, E.P.E.
Ferconsult – Consultoria, Estudos e Projetos de Engenharia de Transportes, S.A.
Arsenal do Alfeite, SA
Astilleros Gondan, SA
Portuguese Ministry of Defence
Metro do Porto, S.A.
- Assisting a number of intermunicipal communities, a municipality and the two metropolitan areas of Lisbon and Porto with the public tenders for the contracting of the public transport service.
- Representing ANEPC in a discussion of the economic and financial report on loss of profits and emerging damages concerning a helicopter contract.
- Advised the Portuguese Ministry of Defence on a programme for the development and production of the KC-390 aircraft, alongside the Republic of Brazil and EMBRAER.