Public law in Portugal
Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados is noted for its balanced combination of academic knowledge and extensive experience in advising companies and issuing opinions on complex legal matters. The department provides advice on the entire spectrum of public law matters, including public procurement, concession contracts, regulatory matters, legislative drafting as well as litigation and arbitration; the team's sectoral expertise further covers the energy, transport and defence sectors. Clients often seek practice head João Tiago Silveira's advice on major projects and new legislation concerning energy and environmental issues. Nuno Peres Alves focuses on concession agreements for public services and public work contracts, while Pedro Costa Gonçalves often acts as arbitrator in public law arbitral proceedings. Margarida Olazabal Cabral stands out for her in-depth knowledge of public procurement. Constitutional law is one of Miguel Nogueira de Brito's specialisms.
João Tiago Silveira; Nuno Peres Alves; Pedro Costa Gonçalves
‘MLGTS’s public law team has a unique understanding of the European Union environmental long term policies, and of how those policies are being transposed to Portuguese law.‘
‘João Tiago Silveira stands out for a remarkable combination of academic knowledge and practical intelligence: he can provide us with both a theoretical framework for understanding the public law policies and practical advice on how to prepare our company for the potential regulatory scenarios.‘
‘Professionals with substantial knowledge of the market. Availability above average.‘
‘Competence, speed, availability are some of the key strengths of the team.‘
‘In addition to her extensive legal knowledge, Margarida Olazabal Cabral as a counsellor is not afraid to state her opinion.‘
‘Nuno Peres Alves’s ability, knowledge and commitment are noteworthy.‘
- Legal advisors to Metropolitano de Lisboa in the public procurement process of upcoming projects for the modernisation of the equipment and development of Lisbon’s subway infrastructure.
- Assisting The Navigator Company in the setting up of an administrative procedure for the certification of hundreds of rural land assets.
- Acting on behalf of TST- Transportes Sul do Tejo, in large-scale litigation against the Portuguese State, bringing into question the government’s decision on the financial compensation to be paid to the transport companies operating in the Lisbon Metropolitan area for the public services rendered by the plaintiffs.
PLMJ fields a team of specialists in the public law space; its lawyers are adept at providing support in relation to PPP projects, concession agreements, public procurement and public contracts across different sectors, including healthcare, education and energy, as well as infrastructure. With experience advising on both domestic and cross-border matters involving Portuguese-speaking countries, the team shows particular strength in arbitration and litigation proceedings before the administrative and constitutional courts. Head of department Diogo Duarte Campos splits his time between Lisbon and Porto, and has wide-ranging knowledge of public and administrative law and a strong track record in construction and concession projects in Angola and Mozambique. PPP projects, litigation and arbitration - notably proceedings related to international investment - are Tiago Duarte's core areas of practice. Joana Brandão is experienced in large public contract and construction-related matters.
Diogo Duarte de Campos
‘PLMJ’s public law team has great expertise across key public law areas. They have deep knowledge of the applicable legislation and full understanding of the procedures. They provide innovative and accurate solutions to the clients.‘
‘The team is efficient at providing solutions and fast responses, knowledgeable of the law, and focused.‘
‘PLMJ has a very client-focused practice, which has allowed for a consistent reputation and recognition.‘
‘In-depth knowledge and experience.‘
‘The team is very solid, combining academic knowledge with a deep practical experience.‘
‘Inês Pinto da Costa, Telma Brandão from Lisbon and Joana Brandão and Diogo Duarte Campos from Porto are very competent.‘
‘I have come to know Diogo Duarte Campos’ work first-hand. I praise his comprehensive knowledge of all legal aspects and negotiation abilities.‘
‘Diogo Duarte Campos provided strategic advice in public law, including litigation and contractual matters. I especially valued his experience and capacity to have a substantiated position on complex legal issues.‘
‘Diogo Duarte Campos is always available and provides excellent legal advice.‘
‘Tiago Duarte, Diogo Duarte Campos and Carla Machado are all extremely reliable.‘
‘I have worked with the following lawyers: Diogo Duarte Campos, Tiago Duarte and Carla Machado. In addition to their knowledge and vast experience, I value their strategic vision, trying to find the best solution for each problem.‘
ENI Portugal B.V.
Sacyr | Somague
EDP – Produção de Energia, S.A.
Nova School of Business and Economics
Baxter Medico Farmacêutica
Nozul Algarve, SA.
Hotel São Francisco
APDL – Administração dos Portos do Douro, Leixões e Viana do Castelo, S.A.
K.A. – Kora Angola, Lda.
ANF (Associação Nacional das Farmácias)
Município de Cascais
- Assisting institutional investors in a judicial challenge against several decisions of the Bank of Portugal regarding the resolution of BES – Banco Espírito Santo and the creation of Novo Banco (the bridge bank).
- Provided comprehensive assistance to EDP- Produção de Energia in the procurement and contracting of the supply of equipment for the Salamonde Dam II.
- Assisting Nova School of Business and Economics (Nova SBE), a public university, in all the public law issues related to the development of its new campus.
One of the first destinations for public law, Sérvulo & Associados has a proven track record in high-profile sector-related matters. Notable areas of practice include constitutional and administrative law, public procurement, concessions and projects, as well as litigation and arbitration proceedings. The department also advises on the drafting of legislation and regulations. Founding partner José Manuel Sérvulo Correia is predominantly active on the issue of legal opinions and arbitration. Co-head Rui Medeiros devotes most of his practice to arbitration, while João Amaral e Almeida is noted for his expertise in public procurement. Mark Kirkby acts for the government and other public entities in relation to the preparation and negotiation of concessions and PPPs, with a particular emphasis on the transport, energy and defence sectors.
Rui Medeiros; João Amaral e Almeida; Mark Kirkby
‘They are knowledgeable, creative, flexible, quick to answer, available and a delight to work with.‘
‘Sérvulo & Associados’ public law team is certainly one of the most notable in Portugal. At the outset, it was the Sérvulo & Associados team who, at the Government’s request, drafted the previous and current Public Procurement Law.‘
‘In addition to the legal technical performance, we highlight the permanent availability of lawyers.’
‘João Amaral e Almeida, Mark Kirkby and Pedro Fernández Sánchez demonstrate outstanding performance, technical knowledge and remarkable interpersonal skills.‘
‘João Amaral e Almeida and Rui Medeiros are some of the best Portuguese lawyers in public law.‘
‘Firstly, it is an office that brings together excellent professionals in the field of law, with particular emphasis on public and administrative law. Secondly, lawyers are at the same time university professors and constantly participate in legal scientific research, making their service an excellent reference both nationally and internationally.‘
‘Lawyers have excellent knowledge and extensive experience in the field of law.‘
‘A very cohesive team, comprehensive knowledge in several areas and very fast response when compared to other players.‘
‘Henrique Rodrigues da Silva is an exceptional lawyer and the future of this industry in what concerns public law matters. His technical skills combined with a perfect communication with the client makes him the best to work with. He is driven and committed to achieve succeed.‘
Direção-Geral do Tesouro e Finanças (DGTF)
Portuguese Ministry of the Environment and Energy Transition
Metropolitano de Lisboa, E.P.E.
Metropolitan area of Lisbon, Metropolitan area of Oporto and a number of intermunicipal communities
Regional Government of Madeira
Baía do Tejo, S.A.
Legislative Assembly of the Autonomous Region of the Azores
SPMS – Serviços Partilhados do Ministério da Saúde, EPE
Luságua – Serviços Ambientais, S.A.
Lusíadas Saúde Group
ANPC – AUTORIDADE NACIONAL DE PROTEÇÃO CIVIL
SIMARSUL – SANEAMENTO DA PENÍNSULA DE SETÚBAL, S.A.
Petróleos de Portugal – Petrogal, S.A.
Infraestruturas de Portugal, I.P.
Municipality of Lisbon
Boreal Investments, Ltd.
AMT – Autoridade de Mobilidade e dos Transportes
Two groups of 11 and 6 municipalities of the Centre Region of Portugal
Gabinete de Coordenação e Seguimento do Sistema de Licitações – COSSIL (Government of São Tomé and Príncipe)
Municipality of Almada
- Represented the Portuguese Treasury and Finance Directorate-General (DGTF) in the negotiation and acquisition of the shareholdings held by private investors in SIRESP, the company in charge of the management and operation of the Portuguese integrated system for emergency and security networks.
- Legal advice to the Portuguese Ministry of the Environment and Energy Transition in the tender for 1.4GW of solar generation capacity, Portugal’s first solar auction.
- Advising Metropolitano de Lisboa on the tender procedure for the conclusion of a design-construction contract for the expansion of the Lisbon subway – extension of the yellow and green lines.
Uría Menéndez – Proença Carvalho receives instructions from a broad range of clients in the area of public law, notably public entities, private operators, domestic and foreign banks and international funds. The team combines its expertise in public law with multi-disciplinary knowledge of project finance and public M&A, fielding the ability to assist with public contracts, regulatory and administrative proceedings, public sector financing matters and environmental issues, energy and urban planning. Litigation is another notable area of practice. Bernardo Diniz de Ayala, whose experience covers all areas of public law, leads the department, which also includes Afonso Choon, who focuses on public procurement and litigation.
Bernardo Diniz de Ayala
‘Extremely short response times with availability well beyond typical office hours. The team has the ability to bridge different interests to find common grounds for developing solutions.‘
‘Excellent understanding / experience for dealing with public entities.‘
‘Bernardo Ayala and Afonso Choon are some of the key legal advisors in the public law team.‘
‘The technical quality of team members, high availability and alignment with customer interests should be highlighted.’
Banco Santander Totta
BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Ltd.
Airbus Defence and Space, S.A.U.
Acciona Concesiones, S.L.
Macquarie Corporate Holdings Pty Limited (UK Branch)
AGS – Administração e Gestão de Sistemas de Salubridade, S.A.
REN, Gás, S.A.
AXPO Iberia S.L.
Ecodeal (FCC group)
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Resulima – Valorização e Tratamento de Resíduos Sólidos, S.A.
Goldenergy – Comercializadora de Energia, S.A.
Junta de Freguesia do Parque das Nações
- Advising a consortium on the preparation and submission of a bid in the tender procedure for the award of a PPP concession agreement for the design, building, finance and operation of the new Hospital de Lisboa Oriental.
- Advised Airbus Defence and Space on the structuring and negotiation of a termination agreement concerning a €460m offset agreement entered into by Airbus DS with the Portuguese State.
- Advising Banco Santander Totta’s chairman on the preparation of his high-profile hearing at the II Parliamentary Inquiry Commission on the recapitalisation and management of Caixa Geral de Depósitos.
VdA has a particularly strong reputation among road concessionaires and public service licensees; its expertise covers the transport, water and sanitation, health, postal services and telecoms sectors, among others. The department not only undertakes traditional public law work, but is also increasingly focusing on new issues with implications from a public law standpoint, notably within the banking, aerospace and defence sectors. Litigation and arbitration proceedings are other areas of strength for the team, which is under the joint leadership of Paulo Pinheiro and Rodrigo Esteves de Oliveira. Pinheiro has substantial experience in administrative concessions as well as litigation and arbitration, which Esteves de Oliveira also counts among his areas of expertise. Recently promoted Ana Marta Castro focuses on public procurement and public contracts, while Catarina Pinto Correia advises on PPPs, European Funds and administrative litigation.
Paulo Pinheiro; Rodrigo Esteves de Oliveira
‘Great legal intelligence and great local (Angola) knowledge.‘
‘What makes the VdA team unique is its permanent availability and responsiveness. Its informality, competence and rigour make them different from other law firms.‘
‘Catarina Pinto Correia and her team solve all problems, even the most complex, by finding effective solutions.‘
‘In addition to the evident technical know-how and the interaction between the different departments within the firm, the team stands out for its ability to adapt to clients’ needs.‘
‘There is a great involvement of partners in matters. The team adopts an interdisciplinary approach, collaborating with other practices of the firm when necessary, which is appreciated by clients. It is distinguished by its pragmatic approach to the issues under analysis.‘
‘Paulo Pinheiro has extensive experience and know-how, great insight and ability to understand clients’ needs and adapt to them. He is direct and pragmatic.‘
‘Paulo Pinheiro, André Gaspar Martins and Catarina Pinto Correia are extraordinary lawyers.‘
‘Raul da Mota Cerveira and João Afonso Fialho have impeccable manners and build a true partnership with clients.‘
Banco de Portugal
Portuguese Government (Ministry of Finance; Ministry of Defense; Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education; IFRRU – Instrumento Financeiro da Reabilitação e Revitalização Urbanas 2020)
Brisa Group (motorways, PPP, concessions)
Azores Regional Government
Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT)
idD – Plataforma das Indústrias de Defesa Nacionais, S.A.
SDEA – Sociedade para o Desenvolvimento Empresarial dos Açores
MEO – Serviços de Comunicações e Multimédia, S.A. (Portugal Telecom / Altice Group)
ANA – Aeroportos de Portugal, S.A.
CTT – Correios de Portugal, S.A.
José de Mello Saúde, SA
McKinsey & Company
Svitzer Portugal, S.A. (Maersk Group)
Caixa Geral de Depósitos, S.A.
PricewaterhouseCoopers & Associados – SROC, Lda.
NAV Portugal, E.P.E.
Sport Lisboa e Benfica
AdP – Águas de Portugal, SGPS, S.A.
- Representing Banco de Portugal in more than 600 legal proceedings regarding the resolution measure applied in August 2014 to Banco Espírito Santo (BES) and further decisions relating to it.
- Acted on behalf of AEDL – Auto-Estradas do Douro Litoral, S.A. (concessionaire of Brisa Group) in the submission of financial rebalancing and arbitration claim in relation to the project financed road concession “Douro Litoral”.
- Assists CTT – Correios de Portugal in the definition of its public procurement strategy and procedures as well as administrative litigation; recent work included representing the client in an arbitration proceeding brought against the Portuguese State.
Cuatrecasas provides legal assistance to public and private entities and companies in relation to banking resolution, administrative litigation, public procurement, as well as concessions, public work contracts and regulatory issues. The department holds a strong position in the water and energy sector, showcasing a strong track record in energy projects in Mozambique and Angola. Other areas of activity include offset agreements, privatisations, urban and town planning and environmental law. Public law litigation and arbitration are some of practice head Duarte Abecasis's core areas of expertise. Lourenço Vilhena de Freitas focuses on infrastructure and concessions, while Mafalda Carmona stands out for her experience in litigation, as well as public contracts and public administration liability matters.
‘The team is made up of the highly respected Duarte Abecasis, and Mafalda Carmona and Lourenço Vilhena Freitas. The work undertaken by the team demonstrates global consistency and high level of expertise.‘
‘In-depth knowledge of the market from a practical perspective.‘
‘Mafalda Carmona has a very unusual in-depth knowledge of administrative law coupled with a brilliant intelligence and fine analytical skills – she is a notable lawyer at the top of her generation.‘
‘Lourenço Vilhena de Freitas has extensive experience in litigation and arbitration. He has the ability to analyse and solve problems accurately.‘
‘Lourenço Vilhena de Freitas not only has profound knowledge of all public law matters, but also other areas of law, notably European law, which makes him a very strong and complete lawyer, that can look at any matter from different angles.‘
‘Mafalda Carmona is a specialist in litigation matters, with an excellent and sharp approach to public law disputes. She inspires great confidence.‘
Banco de Portugal (Bank of Portugal)
CP – Comboios de Portugal
JCDecaux Portugal – Mobiliário Urbano e Publicidade
Ordem dos Contabilistas Certificados (OCC) (Portuguese Chartered Accountants Association)
Infraestruturas de Portugal
PORTFUEL – Petróleos e Gás de Portugal
Município do Porto
Auto-Estradas do Atlântico
Deutsche Bank Spain
- Represents the Bank of Portugal in several administrative and civil disputes concerning the resolution measures applied to Banco Espírito Santo and BANIF.
- Advising CP- Comboios de Portugal in the public procurement proceedings concerning the acquisition of 22 traction units, with a base value of €168m.
- Assisting and representing Go Porto (former Public Works Management of Oporto’s Council) in the rehabilitation of Bolhão’s Municipal Market, which included preparing a works contract and a supply contract of various equipment.
Garrigues provides legal support to clients in the private and public sector on all types of matters related to public law, with a particular focus on energy and environmental law, as well as public procurement and concessions. The team is under the leadership of public law expert Lino Torgal, who specialises in infrastructure, namely PPPs and public procurement, as well as energy and natural resources, encompassing the power and oil and gas sectors. Litigation and arbitration procedures are other core areas of activity for the department.
‘Garrigues’s team excels in public law and public contracts.‘
‘Lawyers have in-depth knowledge of public law.‘
‘Lino Torgal is an outstanding lawyer.‘
Portugal Telecom Data Center
Galp Energia, S.A.
EEM – Empresa de Eletricidade da Madeira
EGF – Empresa Geral de Fomento, S.A.
Petróleos de Portugal – Petrogal, S.A.
Iberdrola Clientes Portugal, Unipessoal, Lda
The Navigator Company, S.A.
- Represented Portugal Telecom (PT) in a €30m dispute related to the construction contract of PT’s data centre in Covilhã and the default of a sub-contracting contract by the ACE.
- Revision of the contractual framework of Iberdrola in Portugal, from a public law, consumer protection and regulatory (electricity and natural gas regulation) perspective.
- Advising and assisting the Portuguese Ministry of Environment in the constitution of a new state-owned enterprise, which will be responsible for the management and operation of all the public transportation in the metropolitan area of Lisbon.
Linklaters excels in complex public procurement matters, administrative litigation and regulation; it offers legal assistance to private companies, public entities and the government on issues relating to private sector involvement in public services and infrastructure. Other typical mandates include advising on the execution of public contracts, as well as on complex regulatory transactions in the power and transport sectors. The team is overseen by Vera Eiró, who is particularly active in public procurement and energy and environmental law. Recently promoted partner Ricardo Guimarães has extensive experience in public law litigation and arbitration proceedings.
‘The team’s strengths and key capabilities are its specialised knowledge in the water sector in Portugal, as well as its pragmatism and refined technical expertise.‘
‘Responsiveness in any legal matter, with high quality and rigorous analysis and advice.‘
‘Extremely knowledgeable, commercially aware and excellent communication skills.‘
‘Vera Eiró has a high level of legal competence in the area of public procurement and transport.‘
China Three Gorges (Europe) S.A.
ViaPorto Lda. / Grupo Barraqueiro
Luz Saúde, S.A. (Fosun Group)
CCB – Centro Cultural de Belém
CRRC / MMoura
Banco Santander, S.A., Caixa – Banco de Investimento, S.A.; JP Morgan Securities plc
- Advised China Three Gorges on the takeovers launched over EDP – Energias de Portugal and EDP Renováveis on all the regulatory related workstreams, namely advising the offerer in relation to the unbundling rules, foreign investment legislation and other sector relevant legislations.
- Continues to act for Unilever following the sale of its global spreads business; one of the key topics of the transaction in Portugal is connected with the environment licences held in the industrial facilities, which has determined the need to enter into specific agreements with the environmental agency.
- Advising Barraqueiro Group, on behalf of ViaPorto, in the execution of the subconcession agreement of Metro do Porto light railway system.
Boutique law firm Esquível Advogados specialises in providing legal support in relation to public law matters and highly regulated sectors, including transport, energy and telecoms. Dispute resolution is another notable area of practice.
Miranda & Associados
Fielding the ability to assist clients throughout all stages of administrative procedures, Miranda & Associados is well versed in constitutional law issues, negotiations with public entities, tender procedures and all aspects of administrative and judicial litigation. Public procurement and regulatory law expert Luís Oliveira leads the practice group, which also includes João Rosado Correia, who is proficient in the areas of public law, international energy, procurement and PPPs. The service offering was recently strengthened with the arrival of former PLMJ public law head Pedro Melo, who has a wealth of experience in administrative contracts, notably concession agreements. Tiago Amorim, whose core areas of practice include litigation and arbitration, oversees the team based in Porto.
Pedro Melo; Luis Oliveira; João Rosado Correia; Tiago Amorim
AE XXI – AE Transmontana
AENL – Norte Litoral
AAVI – Via do Infante
ANACOM / Portuguese State
ANF – National Pharmaceutical Association
INCM (Portuguese National Mint, Assay and Printing Office)
SPMS (Shared Services Centre for the Health Ministry and NHS)
Câmara Municipal de Lisboa (Lisbon Municipality)
AICEP _ Portugal Global
Consortium MRG / Conduril / Tomás de Oliveira
- Advising ANACOM (the national regulatory authority in Portugal for communications) in an important arbitration related to the postal service.
- Comprehensive legal advice to the Ministry of Economy (Directorate General of Economic Activities) in relation to several off-set contracts related to the defence industry.
- Assisting TAP in several important matters concerning its relationship with ANA (Concessionaire of the Portuguese airports).
SRS Advogados acts on behalf of domestic and international clients in the context of public law. The team stands out for its strong track record in dispute resolution, demonstrating experience in litigation and arbitration proceedings. Core areas of practice include public procurement, concessions, PPPs and regulation, covering a range of sectors, such as ports, infrastructure and transport, energy, telecoms, life sciences, water and waste management. Standing out for his expertise in PPP, concessions, and privatisation matters, José Luís Moreira da Silva leads the department alongside Alexandre Roque, whose specialisms include infrastructure, public procurement and urban planning. Gonçalo Maia Camelo coordinates public law matters pertaining to the Madeira region.
José Luís Moreira da Silva; Alexandre Roque
‘This team covers a very large range of matters concerning public law. It is able to assist clients in all matters, including the most difficult ones. Lawyers have strong public law experience and are highly motivated.‘
‘Timely responses, high level of technical expertise and an extraordinary industry knowledge.‘
‘The strength-in-depth of the public law team and value for money are also main factors of choice and excellence. Lawyers work closely with clients and make an effort to understand the industry specifics of each subject.‘
‘José Luís Moreira da Silva is highly experienced and clever.‘
‘José Luís Moreira da Silva has a very strong experience in the sector of ports, a very solid knowledge of Portuguese administrative law and public procurement and litigation. He is always available to the client, motivated and has a strong sense of responsibility.‘
‘Alexandre Roque is very interested in the client’s issues, with strong academic knowledge in public law and public procurement.‘
‘José Luís Moreira da Silva is a partner with an in-depth knowledge of public law matters; Gonçalo Maia Camelo and Alexandre Roque are other key members of the public law team who focus on maritime and transport law, covering all advice in relation to public bids.‘
Port Authority of Lisbon
Port Authority of Setúbal and Sesimbra
Port Authority of Sines
ANI – Agência Nacional de Inovação
Região Autónoma da Madeira
Municipality of Porto
- Advising TmE– Termomeccanica Ecologia in a procurement litigation concerning the building and supply of a Waste Energy Valorisation Power Plant in Azores, worth up to €60m.
- Advising the Port of Lisbon in several litigation cases against the Municipality of Lisbon regarding the taxation of publicity outdoors in the public domain managed by the Port of Lisbon.
- Advising NOS – one of the major telecom operators in Portugal – in several litigation matters concerning ANACOM (National Regulatory Authority for Telecommunications) decisions related to regulatory taxes.
With a team of specialised lawyers in public law, Abreu Advogados offers a broad variety of services in infrastructure projects and PPPs to foreign and domestic concessionaires. The team is adept at advising on urban licensing, public procurement procedures, and litigation. Environmental law expert José Eduardo Martins has experience handling matters related to the public sector, while Manuel de Andrade Neves regularly assists clients from the energy and natural resources sectors. Mafalda Teixeira de Abreu counts concession contracts and public tender procedures among her areas of expertise.
José Eduardo Martins; Manuel de Andrade Neves
Iberdrola Generación S.A.U. And Iberdrola Generación
Alsa / National Express
Musami – Azores
Group Air Liquide
Syndicated Banks (E.G.: Afdb – African Development Bank; Eib – European Investment Bank; Absa Bank And Kfw Development Bank).
Actis/ Baia Mall
Empresa De Eletricidade Da Madeira (Madeira’s Electricity Company).
Erp Portugal (Waste Management Entity)
- Advising Iberdrola Generación on the public law issues arising from the development of the Electroproducer System project of the Cascata do Tâmega awarded by the Portuguese Government following a public tender held in 2008.
- Assisted ALSA/NATIONAL EXPRESS in the final stages of tender for the sub concession of the Oporto transportation services, which was since revoked by the Government; Abreu Advogados has also been assisting the client on the judicial lawsuit.
- Providing assistance to MUSAMI, an Azorean local public company, in the implementation of a Waste to Energy Plant, which includes advising on several public procurement procedures.
Albuquerque & Almeida undertakes work related to administrative disputes, public tender procedures and privatisations, as well as negotiations of concessions. With particular prowess in the port sector, the team leads advice to some of the largest domestic maritime and port companies, and is equipped to assist in public procurement matters, notably port and defence concessions. Alexandre de Albuquerque heads the department, which also includes Diana Silveira.
Alexandre de Albuquerque
‘The team is highly knowledgeable and maintains a close relationship with clients.‘
‘Great awareness of clients’ needs.‘
‘Alexandre Albuquerque demonstrates a deep understanding of public law matters.‘
‘Inês de Oliveira Domingos and Diana Silveira are technically competent.’
ANA – Aeroportos de Portugal, S.A.
Municipality of Coimbra
CEPSA – Portuguesa Petróleos S.A
Parque Escolar, EPE
Value One Holding AG/ Milestone
CUF – Químicos Industriais S.A.
Anthea–Segurança Privada, Lda.
- Advising E.T.E. – Empresa de Tráfego e Estiva as a bidder on the public procurement procedure involving the concession of the port activity concerning food raw products formerly carried out by SILOPOR.
- Advising CEPSA on the installation and operation of fuel stations in relation to Infraestruturas de Portugal – Road Transportation Regulator.
- Advised ELBIT SYSTEMS LAND AND C4I LTD as one of the applicants and bidders in a restricted tender with prior qualification for the acquisition of radio systems launched by the Portuguese army in 2018.
DLA Piper ABBC advises clients on a variety of matters pertaining to public law. Mafalda Ferreira recently joined from Uría Menéndez – Proença Carvalho and is now overseeing the department. She has a wealth of experience in the field, which encompasses public-private partnerships, administrative law, public procurement, public contracts as well as litigation and arbitration proceedings. Mariana Ricardo is also active in the department, and provides ongoing advice on public procurement matters to several domestic and international clients. Hugo Correia is no longer at the firm.
‘This firm has shown a real commitment to our projects and a deep knowledge of regulations. They have been proactive to solve problems and helped a lot to get the deals done through their flexibility in drafting the contracts.‘
‘Mariana Ricardo and Margarida Leitão Nogueira have a very good hands-on approach to our projects, been available whenever we need them, have been able to understand our requirements and have worked hard to get the best solutions for our project.‘
CIMAA (High Alentejo Intermunicipal Communit)
CIMAL (Alentejo Coastline Intermunicipal Community)
CIMBAL (Lower Alentejo Intermunicipal Community)
Dyrup (PPG Group)
Florestal (Lindley Group)
Hospital das Forças Armadas
IACA (Portuguese Association of Manufacturers of Compound Animal Feed)
Saica Natur (SAICA Group, European waste management company)
Savannah Resources plc
Saco Property Group
- Representing and assisting EDP Produção in relation to lawsuits concerning 97 plaintiffs, which were filed against EDP and a construction contractor regarding losses and damages related to the construction of a hydroelectric dam.
- Assisting CIMAA, an intermunicipal organisation comprised of 13 municipalities in the Alentejo region, in the drafting, adaptation and unification of Municipal Regulations in several areas.
- Advising a public company and Olhão Municipality in the Algarve region on the drafting of the new concession contract for water supply, sanitation and waste management in Olhão municipal area.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo offers comprehensive and multi-disciplinary advice in matters related to public law, namely administrative and regulatory law, as well as infrastructure projects. Practice co-head Albano Sarmento's experience cuts across fields such as construction and public works, PPPs and environmental law. Ricardo Campos leads on public law and dispute resolution matters pertaining to the large projects handled by the firm. Paulo Nogueira da Rocha is another name to note for litigation and arbitration.
Albano Sarmento; Ricardo Campos
‘The team combines legal arguments with the technical details of each situation in an outstanding manner. Because they have engineers to assist them, they bridge nicely between the legal and engineering perspectives, putting all the involved parties “on the same page” very easily.‘
‘Paulo Nogueira da Rocha is a very organised and focused lawyer, often bringing new contributions and pointing ways to move forward. He’s always in the loop, reminding us of the following steps, and making sure nothing is missed out.‘
MOTA-ENGIL, Acciona Infraestruturas, Edivisa (Consortium)
Ferrovial/MSF Barragens ACE
Ferreira Build Power
Douro Litoral ACE
Rodovias do Algarve Litoral ACE
Rodovias do Baixo Alentejo
- Advice to the Consortium Mota-Engil, Acciona Infraestruturas and Edivisa in one of the largest hydroelectric projects developed in Europe in the last 25 years, the construction of three dams, Daivões, Gouvães and Alto Tâmega.
- Assisted Ferreira Build Power in connection with a public contract regarding the construction of a new university residence for students of the University of Lisbon.
- Advising Douro Litoral ACE, a joint venture formed by four companies, in the design, construction, rehabilitation, expropriations of the A32, IC2, A41, IC24, A43, IC29, IC25 public highways.
Large-scale public tender contracts are one of the key strengths of the administrative law and public procurement department at PRA-Raposo, Sá Miranda & Associados, Sociedade de Advogados SP RL, which acts for both contractors and bidders. It has a particular focus on public tender processes for water and waste management services, as well as construction projects in the north of Portugal. Public procurement expert David Coelho leads the group, which has a proven track record of successfully challenging tender awards by means of judicial claims. Noel Gomes manages the team based in the Porto office, and is a trusted advisor of public sector bodies and municipal authorities in the region.
David Coelho; Noel Gomes
‘Competence, knowledge and reliability define PRA.‘
‘The team fields extensive technical and scientific knowledge.‘
‘The Raposo Sá Miranda’s public law department is composed of professionals who are characterised by a high technical competence and experience in various branches of public law.‘
‘Noel Gomes has a strong understanding of public law.‘
‘David Coelho takes on a client-focused approach.‘
‘Noel Gomes is professional and dedicated to clients. Although he benefits from a wealth of experience in public law, he is the kind of lawyer who always seeks to renew their knowledge.‘
‘Noel Gomes is an expert in public financial law, a branch of public law in which (due to its complexity and difficulty) there is a clear lack of specialised professionals.’
Raposo Bernardo handles matters related to public procurement, negotiation of public contracts, regulatory issues as well as litigation and arbitration. Leading the department is Manuel Esteves Albuquerque, whose experience covers cross-border matters.
Manuel Esteves de Albuquerque; Serena Argente Escartín
‘Raposo Bernardo & Associados treats every issue as if it were the only and most important issue in the world. They are tireless in getting the best result for their clients.‘
‘Manuel Esteves de Albuquerque and his team were amazing in all the support they gave our company. Manuel is very patient, persistent and has great presence in court.‘
- Advised a client on a public tender in the aviation sector, having assisted with public procurement proceedings, documentation and advising on preventive public administrative litigation.
- Assisting a client with all stages of public tenders in Portugal regarding the Prescription drugs of chemical and biotechnological origin.
- Advising a client on public law matters regarding PPP projects, involving multi-party operations taking place in Portugal and several countries in Africa.
Public entities and private companies seek SLCM | Serra Lopes, Cortes Martins & Associados' legal support in relation to public contracts, public procurement and administrative procedures. Miguel Pena Machete, who focuses on public litigation and arbitration, oversees the team. Marisa Mirador is another key practitioner, and splits her practice between planning and public law.
Miguel Pena Machete
‘A different and very insightful view into environmental law. A good complementary approach to our legal challenges.‘
‘Dedication, availability and sense of partnership define SLCM.‘
Nutrinveste Group (Sovena/Elaias sub-groups)
Lisnave – Estaleiros Navais, S.A.
ATM – Assistência Total em Manutenção
EMPORDEF, SGPS, SA
DEFLOC – Locação de Equipamentos de Defesa, S. A.
Sociedade Ponto Verde, S. A.
LBC – Leadership Business Consulting
- Representing Sociedade Ponto Verde in a lawsuit brought by Novo Verde against the Portuguese Environmental Agency, challenging an administrative act of the President of CAGER – a Commission that regulates the relations between packaging recycling licensed operators.
- Assisting LINDE Healthcare, a producer and supplier of industrial and medicinal gases, in public procurement procedures regarding the tender for the public supply contract of home-based respiratory care.
- Provides ongoing legal advisory to EMPORDEF, a Portuguese state-owned company, including on budget and financial approvals before the Ministry of Defence or Court of Auditors.
AAA Advogados handles a range of matters related to public law, demonstrating particular strength in public contracts. The department is also adept at acting for clients in administrative and court proceedings. Leading the team is Rita Gama Abreu, who is regularly instructed to assist with public tenders and public contracts.
Rita Gama Abreu
‘In this field, it is worth mentioning Rita Gama Abreu for her competence, proximity and availability demonstrated in the course of the ongoing lawsuit. The whole procedure has been communicated in a clear and transparent manner.‘
Musami – Operações Municipais do Ambiente, EIM, S.A.
ASMI – Offshore Industries, S.A.
Valorsul – Valorização e Tratamento de Resíduos Sólidos Urbanos das Regiões de Lisboa e Oeste, S.A.
- Advised MUSAMI in pre-contractual litigation relating to the international limited tendering procedure for the engineering, construction and supply contract of a waste incineration plant.
- Assisting ASMI II in the international limited tendering procedure for the construction of a plant for the production of metallic structural components for offshore energy.
- Acting for VALORSUL in several administrative and court proceedings related to environmental offences, in particular on the transport of solid waste and licensing of waste plants.
Andersen Tax and Legal | NGMS – Sociedade de Advogados
Andersen Tax and Legal | NGMS – Sociedade de Advogados handles contentious and non-contentious public law work, advising private and public entities on constitutional and administrative law, environmental issues, public procurement and public contracts, among other areas. Gonçalo Mota Nogueira, who demonstrates experience in international dispute resolution, namely arbitration, oversees the department. Joana Almeida Gonçalves is actively involved in matters pertaining to the energy sector.
Gonçalo Mota Nogueira
IFT – Comércio Internacional Alimentar, LDA.
Media Capital/Rádio Comercial
SPGM – Sociedade de Investimento, S.A
Macieira Coelho Investimentos Lda.
- Assisted Macieira Coelho Investimentos in a procurement procedure for the concession of public passenger liner transport by ship between Cabanas and Cabanas Island, which was launched by DOCAPESCA.
- Representing VEOLIA ENVIRONMENT in a lawsuit against the contracting authority, in which the client demands a declaration of illegality of an international procurement procedure.
- Acted for DELTA in a lawsuit against Banco de Portugal requesting the declaration of illegality of the international procurement procedure for the supply of food and beverages.
With the ability to assist clients in the full range of dealings with Portuguese public entities, FCB Sociedade de Advogados is skilled across planning and construction licencing, environmental matters, as well as public works and supply contracts. Public procurement, especially related to IT and health and medical devices, is another core area of activity for the department, which also acts for clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings. The practice is under the leadership of Paula Teixeira da Cruz and Miguel Lorena Brito.
Miguel Lorena Brito; Paula Teixeira da Cruz
‘FCB is a relevant law firm at national level with extensive international experience in various fields of law. Within the scope of public law, it is proficient in public procurement, particularly in the application of the Public Contract Code, both in the phase of contract formation and execution, as well as in the settling of disputes by judicial or arbitral means.‘
‘Miguel Lorena Brito leads a cohesive and experienced team. The relationship established with clients, which is based on transparency and communication, is worth highlighting.’
Centroliva – Industria e Energia, S.A.
Real Companhia do Cacau
MAN TRUC & Bus
Sociedade Agrícola da Herdade da Maria da Guarda
Senvion SE (former Repower Systems SE)
Lifestyle and Leisure Ltd.
- Advised CGI in several public tenders to award public contracts for the supply of IT services, and currently representing the client in two court proceedings regarding the performance of public contracts.
- Represented Opway, as contractor, in a judicial procedure concerning several disputes related to the public work contract for the renovation of the Alfarelos-Pampilhosa highway.
- Acted for Real Companhia do Cacau in the filing of a judicial procedure to challenge the termination of the financing agreement/public funding from a Portuguese public authority.
pbbr - Sociedade de Advogados RL focuses on administrative law, litigation, public contracts and public concessions, among other areas within the public law domain. The team is well versed in administrative litigation and pre-contractual disputes. Practice head Tânia Ferreira Osório has a wealth of experience in public procurement, as well as public contracts and concession agreements.
Tânia Ferreira Osório
‘pbbr provides customised legal support to clients.‘
‘The team is rigorous in the preparation of matters, acts in a timely manner, avoiding the prolongation of legal issues which may arise.‘
‘An available and attentive team that strives for a job well done and satisfied customers.‘
‘Tânia Osório specialises in public law; she has comprehensive knowledge of public procedures.‘
‘I recommend Tânia Ferreira Osório for her ability to simplify the complexity of matters and making the Portuguese legal framework understandable.‘
‘Joana Magalhães e Silva is noted for always communicating in a timely and clear manner.‘
Cushman & Wakefield
SMMP – Sindicato dos Magistrados do Ministério Público ( Union Association of Public Prosecutors)
ISEG –Lisbon School of Economics and Management University of Lisbon
ESRI Portugal – Sistemas e Informação Geográfica, S.A.
ECS – Sociedade de Capital de Risco, S.A.
Lisgráfica – Impressão e Artes Gráficas, S.A.
Instituto São João de Deus
ISS Facility Services
Avenue/ Aermont/ Perella Weinberg
Signal Capital Partners
- Assists Signal Capital Partners in the acquisition of assets and development of projects which have implications on concession contracts and urban licensing.
- Advise ISEG –Lisbon School of Economics and Management University of Lisbon on administrative processes and preparation of public procurement procedures.
- Acting for SMMP – Sindicato Magistrados Ministério Público in relation to the enforcement of several administrative cases against public entities, namely the Portuguese State, regarding public prosecutors’ careers.