Dispute resolution in Portugal
The team at Linklaters capitalises on its full integration within the firm's leading global dispute resolution practice, demonstrating far-reaching experience in complex cases concerning commercial litigation and arbitration. Typical instructions also include providing pre-litigation advice as well as handling cross-border matters in Lusophone Africa and South America. Practice head Nuno Ferreira Lousa is a seasoned practitioner in the fields of financial disputes, regulatory investigations and contentious restructuring and insolvency matters. Ricardo Guimarães regularly acts as counsel and arbitrator in arbitration cases, namely those related to construction and PPP contracts, commercial agreements and public service concessions.
Nuno Ferreira Lousa
‘Linklaters, and specifically the dispute resolution team, provides bullet proof legal assistance. Every memorandum, email, report etc is very detailed, with specific recommendations (and not abstract legal suggestions) that provide the client with true guidance.‘
‘The team is able to design several scenarios and point out the best solutions. The team is also efficient: they provide quick and conclusive answers within the agreed deadline.‘
‘Linklaters LLP’s dispute resolution team is impressive mostly due to the permanent availability of lawyers and their outstanding technical skills. The team also has the capacity to understand the clients’ operations and adapt its work and advice to those business needs.‘
‘The team is very professional and lawyers work extensively in preparing court sessions.‘
‘Nuno Ferreira Lousa is an exceptional and extremely professional lawyer with a great sense of ethics.‘
‘Manuel Castelo Branco and Carlos Pinto Correia are also remarkable advisors.’
‘Ricardo Guimarães is outstanding. He is able to quickly understand the problem, navigate the complexity of the case and provide solutions that do not damage the business side of the projects; he is also 24/7 available to answer our doubts and thinks ahead.‘
‘Ricardo Guimarães stands out for his exceptional technical skills. He is always available and his work exceeds expectations.‘
Caixa Geral de Depósitos, S.A.
Novo Banco, S.A.
Ernst & Young
ECS, Sociedade de Capital de Risco, S.A.
Luz Saúde, S.A.
Galp Energia, SGPS, S.A. / Petróleos de Portugal – Petrogal, S.A.
KKR Credit Advisors
Semapa – Sociedade de Investimento e Gestão, SGPS, S.A.
Banco BPI, S.A.
Onitelecom Infocomunicações (Oni) / Nowo Communications (NOWO)
E.ON / Eólica de S. Julião, Lda.
- Representing Novo Banco in various judicial proceedings brought by clients alleging the mis-selling of investment products.
- Continues to represent Deloitte Accountants in a €900m claim brought by Pharol (formerly known as Portugal Telecom SGPS) in connection with an alleged breach of the auditors’ obligations when auditing the company.
- Acting for Pfizer in several arbitration proceedings arising out of patent infringement matters being challenged by generic pharma companies.
Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados is involved in high-value and complex civil, commercial and corporate litigation, covering a wide spectrum of sectors. The firm's service offering also includes domestic and international arbitration, in which it has adopted a distinctive strategy focusing on Portuguese-speaking countries, namely Angola and Mozambique. Practice head António Pinto Leite's notable areas of practice include IP and pharmaceutical disputes, as well as arbitration proceedings, in which he often takes on the role of arbitrator. Francisco Cortez regularly leads on some of the most relevant cases handled by the department and stands out for his extensive experience in commercial litigation. Filipe Vaz Pinto is the name to note for international arbitration, as well as energy sector-litigation.
António Pinto Leite; Rui Patrício; Francisco Cortez; Filipe Vaz Pinto
‘The team at Morais Leitão are very commercial in their approach to litigation and are very capable in using the process to their advantage. Advice is clear and responses timely which ensure successful closures of deals and settlements.‘
‘Very assertive, coherent, dynamic, detailed and deeply engaged team.‘
‘Filipe Vaz Pinto, Catarina Monteiro Pires, Maria Leonor Machado, Carolina Pitta e Cunha, Joana Granadeiro, Cristiana Gonçalves Correia: all are deeply engaged with clients, they are prompt in answering solicitations, and provide substantiated legal opinion. They show a high degree of responsibility and legal knowledge.‘
‘Ricardo do Nascimento Ferreira is an experienced and well-qualified lawyer.‘
- Acted for MSTelcom Mercury, as the respondents, in the Unitel ICC arbitration in Paris.
- Advisors to Banco Comercial Português and Millenium bcp Bank & Trust in several complex and high-value lawsuits and pre-litigation conflicts.
- Acting as external litigation advisors to Euroatlantic in all legal matters pertaining to the company and its representatives in three major civil lawsuits relating to petitions for indemnities for breaches of contract.
The practice at PLMJ advises clients from a spectrum of industry sectors in relation to complex and high-value contentious matters, fielding expertise across traditional litigation, criminal law as well as arbitration. The department is subdivided into five closely knitted teams, covering restructuring, financial and corporate litigation, civil and commercial disputes, banking and finance contentious matters, criminal cases as well as arbitration and alternative dispute resolution. Team head Nuno Líbano Monteiro specialises in civil litigation as well as corporate restructuring and insolvency issues; Pedro Metello de Nápoles leads on arbitral matters and oversees the Angola desk; and financial services disputes and those pertaining to the automotive industry are some of Pedro Faria's key specialisms. Carla Góis Coelho actively advises international and domestic players in civil and commercial litigation. Founding partner José Miguel Júdice retired from practice.
Nuno Líbano Monteiro; Pedro Metello de Nápoles; Pedro Faria; Rita Samoreno Gomes
‘PLMJ is one of the largest and most qualified law firms in Portugal, always guaranteeing high-quality output and prompt response to all matters, both in-court and out-of-court.‘
‘The integrated and complementary knowledge of the whole team, its creativity in finding solutions to complex problems and availability (including easy access to partners) are outstanding.’
‘The team at PLMJ is extremely experienced, reactive and balanced in its approach to possible disputes.‘
‘PLMJ’s dispute resolution team was very rigorous in detailing our company’s case and they has been highly assertive in the court proceedings. The team was key to favourable rulings.‘
‘A very efficient team with a very client-friendly approach.‘
‘Great work ability and huge willingness to share opinions and strategy.‘
‘The team takes full control of the dispute and engages the client and its relevant co-workers in a very efficient way.‘
‘Pedro Caetano Nunes was the partner responsible for managing a very complex legal dispute involving multiple fronts and legal cases. In addition to his outstanding knowledge of the law, Pedro is very thorough in the preparation of legal cases, knowing how to look at the big picture and all the details as well as the best way to present them to a judge/court.‘
‘Pedro has many years of experience and a very good instinct allowing him to give prompt solutions to urgent matters.‘
‘Raquel Ribeiro Correia is an extremely talented individual with enormous working capacity.‘
‘Nuno Morais Sarmento has proven to be of extremely valuable help when needed.‘
‘When providing legal advice, Carla Góis Coelho communicates trust and adds value to the decision-making process.‘
‘Telma Pires de Lima stood out for the attention to detail and commitment in the preparation of our case. Her preparatory investigation was very thorough, and she came out of the arbitrations with extensive knowledge about our industry, our company and our working procedures.‘
‘Nuno Líbano Monteiro and Pedro Metello de Nápoles are very committed to the cases they are involved in. The blend of their professional ages and of their legal and extra-legal knowledge results in efficient teams.‘
Montepio Geral Bank
AEDL – Auto-Estradas Douro Litoral (Douro Coastline Concession)
Meo – Altice Group
INGKA (IKEA Group)
- Representing MEO in a €130m arbitration case brought by Vodafone regarding an alleged breach of a joint venture agreement for the construction of a large fibre network to be shared by the two operators.
- Legal advice to Volkswagen Group and its international legal advisers in the Portuguese litigation cases arising from the sensitive issue of emissions irregularities.
- Representing former BES non-executive board members in three high-profile cases, including a collective securities action.
Financial institutions, domestic and international companies seek Uría Menéndez – Proença Carvalho's representation in the full range of contentious matters, fielding vast expertise in complex litigation involving securities, derivatives and other financial products. Typical instructions also include civil and commercial disputes, including class actions, as well as corporate crime and arbitral matters. Former head Tito Arantes Fontes, who has extensive experience representing clients in civil, criminal and commercial proceedings, stepped down from his leadership role; Fernando Aguilar de Carvalho, who co-led the practice since 2014 and has a particular focus on international and domestic arbitration, is now overseeing the litigation group. Disputes involving derivatives is an area of expertise for Nuno Salazar Casanova. Adriano Squilacce's main areas of activity encompass administrative infringement proceedings on banking, finance and securities issues.
Fernando Aguilar de Carvalho
‘The team is analytical, rational, focused and efficient.‘
‘In my experience, the Uría team, besides being very dedicated and competent, has an extraordinary customer approach. Lawyers assess the risks well and are studious of the issues at hand. In addition, the accounts are transparent and always commensurate with the work involved and the complexity of the matter.‘
‘The department stands out for its permanent availability, complete knowledge of the specificities and idiosyncrasies of the courts.‘
‘Lawyers are determined and authoritative.‘
‘David Sequeira Dinis is a very sharp and resourceful lawyer. He is a highly praised barrister.‘
‘I work mainly with Francisco Proença de Carvalho and Fernando Aguilar. They are both very competent and have an excellent relationship with clients.‘
‘Nuno Salazar Casanova has a solid background on financial subjects with an uncommon rate of success. He fights for the fair causes.‘
‘Pedro Ferreira Malaquias has an exceptional capacity for finding creative solutions.’
Banco Santander Totta
Caixa Económica Montepio Geral
- Representing the Galp Group in a major dispute related to oil transport, arising from an enforcement claim filed by a large Portuguese Group against Petróleos de Portugal – Petrogal and Sacor Marítima.
- Advising Banco Santander Totta on the litigation related to the resolution of Banco Banif and its acquisition by Santander Group.
- Representing Bankinter and Banco Santander Totta in several lawsuits on the sale of bonds of Portugal Telecom Group.
VDA has a solid track record in civil and commercial litigation, offering representation to clients in relation to a wide range of matters, such as corporate, insurance and banking disputes, class actions, professional negligence, as well as disputes regarding distribution and agency agreements, construction and public turnkey contracts. The firm has recently increased its share of international work, having strengthened its service offering in contentious matters linked to Portuguese-speaking countries and Francophone Africa, and has also bolstered its expertise in international arbitration. Frederico Gonçalves Pereira, who stands out for his extensive experience in restructuring and insolvency litigation, leads the practice group alongside Miguel Pinto Cardoso, whose key areas of activity include arbitration and cross-border disputes in the energy, construction and telecoms sectors.
Frederico Gonçalves Pereira; Miguel Pinto Cardoso
‘VdA fields a highly specialised team with in-depth knowledge of the Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa. There is a willingness getting to know and understand clients’ business in order to reach efficient solutions aligned with clients’ needs.‘
‘This team seeks to learn the specifics of the case, including technical aspects which would normally be outside their set of skills, such as finance modelling or engineering details.‘
‘Individuals are committed and analyse all aspects exhaustively.‘
‘VDA are user-friendly and proactive when it comes to the management of Portuguese litigation. They are a very capable and safe pair of hands who we have confidence in using and recommend to clients.‘
‘Rui Andrade is a great strategist, technically versatile and capable of advising across a range of highly complex legal matters.‘
‘Frederico Gonçalves Pereira is a tactical thinker and provides good oversight over his team on complicated matters. Ana Lickfold Novaes e Silva is very responsive. Joana Neves has an impressive knowledge of the detail of long-running, fact-heavy cases.‘
‘Sofia Ribeiro Branco is a remarkable young lawyer. Clearly one of the best of her generation.’
Grupo José de Mello
Caixa Geral de Depósitos Group
Doyen Sports Investment Limited
National Investment Bank, LLC
Galp Energia Group
The Navigator Company
Trust Energy Group
Deutsche Bank Group
Brisa Auto-Estradas de Portugal
DePuy International Ltd
Barclays Bank PLC
- Representing Banco Comercial Português and Caixa Geral de Depósitos in the collection of €1bn debt against the group of entities controlled by businessman and art collector José Berardo.
- Representing Brisa- Auto-Estradas de Portugal in the €1bn lawsuit filed by several international hedge funds claiming Brisa’s joint liability for AEDL’s debt.
- Assisted Oi in a dispute initiated by Pharol SGPS against Oi and one of its Portuguese subsidiaries before the Lisbon Civil Court, pursuant to which it sought to be compensated by Oi in the amount of €2bn.
With comprehensive expertise in contractual litigation and arbitration, the dispute resolution team at CMS is noted for its ability to handle disputes concerning commercial, pharmaceutical and construction issues. The practice receives recurring instructions from international banks and private hedge funds, and is strong in international arbitrations, with a particular emphasis on M&A, energy and shareholder disputes. The department is under the joint leadership of Nuno Pena, an expert in civil, commercial, corporate and banking litigation, and Joaquim Shearman de Macedo, who has recently been appointed as an arbitrator in multiple proceedings. The service offering was bolstered by the arrival of Cuatrecasas' former practice head Miguel Esperança Pina, who brings a wealth of experience in arbitration and litigation arising from corporate, financial and commercial disputes, among others. Rita Gouveia, who also joined from Cuatrecasas, is active across domestic and cross-border contentious matters.
Nuno Pena; Joaquim Shearman de Macedo
Attestor Capital LLP
EDP – Gestão da Produção de Energia
Goldman Sachs International
Meo – Serviços de Telecomunicações e Multimédia
Sporting Club de Portugal
- Representing Goldman Sachs International in four administrative proceedings brought against Bank of Portugal, in which the plaintiff is seeking reversal of the bank’s decision regarding the BES resolution measure.
- Successfully defended Sporting Club de Portugal in proceedings involving its former president.
- Legal advisors to Attestor Capitalm Riverbirch, Centerbridge and Fidelity regarding actions to be taken in Portugal against or as a result of the decision of the Bank of Portugal concerning non-subordinated bonds transferred from Novo Banco to Banco Espírito Santo.
Cuatrecasas offers legal support in relation to contentious matters covering a wide range of sectors, fielding a team which has particular expertise in banking litigation and commercial and corporate disputes. Notable areas of practice also include infrastructure, engineering and construction contract disputes, and high-profile domestic and international arbitration. Private enforcement is a recent field of growth for the department, which is headed by Miguel Almada, who joined from Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados. Apart from focusing on civil and commercial litigation, Almada has also been involved in international arbitrations linked to Spain, Mozambique and Angola. Recently promoted partner Frederico Bettencourt Ferreira acts for domestic and international clients in both pre-litigation and judicial proceedings, while Gonçalo Madeira is experienced across contractual disputes pertaining to concessions, employment and real estate. José De Freitas retired.
Miguel de Almada
‘The team stands out for its in-depth knowledge and availability.‘
‘Miguel de Almada is a sharp litigator.‘
Sporting Clube de Portugal
BANCO DE PORTUGAL (Bank of Portugal)
Banco Espirito Santo (BES)
The Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
BMW Ag and BMW Portugal
COCA-COLA Iberian Partners
CELTEJO – Empresa de Celulose do Tejo (Altri Group)
CAIMA – Indústria da Celulose (Altri Group)
SACYR – SOMAGUE
- Representing a transport and logistics company as defendant in a judicial dispute.
- Representing state-owned company Consest in a €148m real estate dispute against Cottees – Compra e Venda de Imóveis.
- Acting for a Spanish construction company as defendant in a dispute where the contractor is claiming an indemnity related to damages allegedly suffered because of the defective performance of a subcontract.
SLCM | Serra Lopes, Cortes Martins & Associados acts for both corporate clients and private individuals in litigation-related issues, mainly in the financial services, real estate, telecoms, consumer products and energy sectors. Arbitration is one of the key strengths of the team, which is overseen by Luis Miguel Cortes Martins, who has more than 30 years in the field. Co-head Maria Raquel Moreira advises on contentious matters pertaining to contractual, civil and commercial law, which are also key areas of expertise for João Tiago Morais Antunes.
Luís Miguel Cortes Martins; Maria Raquel Moreira
‘SLCM is one of the go-to law firms for dispute resolution work in Portugal.‘
‘Luís Cortes Martins combines excellent dispute resolution skills with a solid corporate law background.‘
‘Maria Raquel Moreira is a tough opponent who always has good knowledge of every case’s details.‘
Transfesa – Transportes Ferroviários Especiales S.A.
Nutrinveste Group (Sovena/Elaias sub-groups)
Sociedade Central de Cervejas (SCC) – Heineken Portugal
Banco Comercial Português, S.A.
ATM – Assistência Total em Manutenção
Apollo Management Fund/Calm Eagle Holdings
Caixa Económica Montepio Geral
- Advised Telemar Norte Leste, a subsidiary of Oi, in six litigation proceedings against PHAROL, SGPS, Portugal’s major telecommunications operator.
- Acting on behalf of Sovena Group SGPS and Sovena Portugal – Consumer Goods in a judicial suit filed in respect of an alleged contractual default.
- Represents Calm Eagle Holdings, part of the Apollo Management Fund Group, in a civil suit brought by Partran’s insolvent estate against Novo Banco and Calm Eagle.
With a particular emphasis on financial litigation, Sérvulo & Associados' notable areas of practice encompass litigation in the real estate, healthcare and aeronautical sectors. Arbitration, particularly involving pharmaceutical companies, is another key area of strength for the team. Co-head João Saúde specialises in sports law and restructuring and insolvency, showcasing a proven track record in commercial litigation and arbitration, which is also an area of expertise for António Teles. Mafalda Ferreira Santos, who was previously at Cuatrecasas, regularly advises Portuguese and international clients in litigation and out-of-court proceedings arising from civil and commercial disputes.
António Teles; João Saúde; Mafalda Ferreira Santos
‘The team’s consistency, awareness, knowledge and ability to respond in a pro-active manner are noteworthy.‘
BANCO ESPÍRITO SANTO, S.A. – Em Liquidação (BES)
BANIF – BANCO INTERNACIONAL DO FUNCHAL, S.A.
BANCO PRIVADO PORTUGUÊS, S.A. – Em Liquidação (BPP)
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL – FUTEBOL, SAD
Águas do Centro Litoral, S.A.
INFRAESTRUTURAS DE PORTUGAL, IP
INPI – Instituto Nacional da Propriedade Industrial, I.P.
Interfundos – Gestão de Fundos de Investimento Imobiliário, S.A.
ANPC – AUTORIDADE NACIONAL DE PROTEÇÃO CIVIL
São Tomé e Príncipe Republic
Lusíadas Saúde Group
Cipan – Companhia Industrial Produtora de Antibióticos, S.A.
Libertas – Sociedade Gestora de Fundos de Investimento Imobiliário, S.A.
Casa Carvalho Cerqueira (Sivicultura e Agro- Turismo), Unipessoal, Lda.
Maria Joana Morais Varela
- Represented BES in its almost €1bn liability in pre-litigation and litigation matters.
- Advising Banif during the last four years in almost all pending legal actions following the Bank of Portugal’s decision to put Banif into resolution.
- Advising BPP in pre-litigation and litigation matters following the revoking of its banking licence in 2010 and subsequent liquidation.
The litigation department at AAA Advogados handles a variety of contentious matters, both at the local level and in cases involving cross-border elements. The team also handles arbitration proceedings. Leading the practice is litigator and arbitrator José Jácome, who has experience in national and international judicial courts as well as arbitration tribunals. Another key practitioner is Bernardo Castro Caldas, whose key areas of activity include commercial and administrative litigation.
‘Good negotiators, who focus on settling matters, rather than prolonging the case.‘
‘A team focused on working on a solution instead of trying to find a problem. They work as a real partner to help us in our business. They create value and are a real investment.’
‘Reasonable fee structure or rather reasonable value for money, with the right focus on clients’ goals.‘
‘AAA is excels in civil, commercial and administrative litigation.‘
‘We have worked with Dulce Franco for over 25 years, and her ability and dedication is second to none.‘
‘Vítor Pereira das Neves, Leonor Francisco and Tiago Meira are recommended.‘
‘Apart from his technical skills, Tiago Meira has in-depth knowledge of the sectors in which clients’ businesses operate.‘
‘Bernardo Castro Caldas stands out for his thorough understanding of commercial law and arbitration.‘
Grupo Américo Amorim
- Representing Dia Portugal, a company which operates in the large distribution market of food products, in a breach of agreement for the supply of food products to Angola.
- Acting for Amorim & Irmãos in proceedings against Securitas and its insurer XL Insurance Company in a claim for breach of contract and professional responsibility.
- Representation of Daikin Airconditioning Portugal – Distribuição Equipamento Térmico in its large disputes with clients (installers, resellers and constructors).
Abreu Advogados is noted for its multi-disciplinary advice provided in civil, commercial and criminal matters. The team offers legal assistance in disputes submitted to the Portuguese judicial courts and arbitral tribunals, both domestic and international. Complex and often cross-border matters feature on the department's caseload, which also includes mediation and pre-litigation guidance. Guilherme Santos Silva predominantly acts in civil, commercial and transport-related litigation matters, while co-heading the practice with Alexandra Nascimento Correia, who focuses on arbitration. The team was further strengthened by the arrival of Martim Menezes, who joined from CCA Law Firm in 2020.
Alexandra Nascimento Correia; Guilherme Santos Silva
Banco Comercial Português
Iberdola Generación España
Andritz Hydro GmbH
Tata Group / Monroa / Move on
- Representing Synlab Group’s laboratories in several legal actions relating to alleged medical malpractice.
- Assisting Le Brion Management in a dispute in regarding the installation of one of the largest shopping centres in central Portugal.
- Acting for a client against a construction consortium in an arbitration concerning an alleged breach of agreement.
Albuquerque & Almeida's notable areas of practice include commercial, insurance and banking litigation, as well as contractual disputes related to construction and private and public works. Practice co-head Francisco Colaço specialises in civil and commercial matters, acting before judicial courts and arbitration tribunals. The department's service offering was expanded with the arrival of Paulo Almeida from his own firm; he and his team bring a wealth of experience in capital markets litigation and criminal law.
Francisco Colaço; Paulo de Almeida
‘The team has vast experience in dispute resolution, relevant know-how and noteworthy availability for the monitoring of judicial proceedings and clients’ requests.‘
The litigation and arbitration team at DLA Piper ABBC represents local and international clients in a variety of matters, from debt recovery to high-profile judicial and arbitration cases. Recently promoted partner Vanessa Antunes co-heads the department and is experienced in cross-border matters involving commercial, corporate and civil law. The recent incorporation of Portuguese arbitration boutique Ribeiro Mendes reinforced the firm's dispute resolution offering: Sofia Ribeiro Mendes is now co-leading the team; Armindo Ribeiro Mendes, who has over 30 years' experience in commercial arbitrations, joined as of counsel.
Vanessa Antunes; Sofia Ribeiro Mendes
‘Good analysis, excellent planning and always working closely with the client.‘
‘Professional but friendly contact. Always available to discuss before decision has to be taken.‘
‘Great attention to detail, thorough advice and prompt handling of matters without compromising quality. Results speak for themselves.‘
‘João Nuno Azevedo Neves, Nuno Azevedo Neves and Vanessa Antunes are rigorous and extremely competent in everything they do.‘
Link Mobility Group
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo has a strong track record in corporate, civil and commercial litigation, fielding particular expertise in energy, insurance and capital markets-related litigation. The practice has recently strengthened its arbitration offering, and is noted for its experience in this field in relation to public infrastructure and concession contracts. The department is jointly led by commercial arbitration specialist Albano Sarmento and Ana Grosso Alves, whose areas of expertise include civil litigation and administrative offence liability. Ricardo Campos and Paulo Nogueira da Rocha are other key practitioners.
Albano Sarmento; Ana Grosso Alves
‘Efficient and dynamic team which has extensive dispute resolution experience in advising international clients.‘
‘Gómez-Acebo & Pombo offers prompt responses and sophisticated legal advice.‘
GOLDEN TREE, THIRD POINT, BENNET, BTG PACTUAL
Rodovias do Baixo Alentejo ACE
CPVC ACE – Casais Engenharia e Construção, S.A. and Eusébios & Filhos, S.A.
- Representing a construction company in arbitral proceedings regarding the construction of two hotels.
- Representing a media company in arbitration proceedings in relation to contractual and competition matters.
- Provided advice to a client in an arbitration proceeding regarding the construction of a new bridge.
Focusing largely on the resolution of disputes pertaining to commercial, corporate, contractual, construction and financial matters, Garrigues also has the ability to set up multi-disciplinary teams to provide legal representation in contentious issues concerning labour, IP and restructuring, among other areas. Practice head João Duarte de Sousa excels in cross-border disputes, demonstrating experience in domestic and international arbitration. Miguel Azevedo, who is particularly knowledgeable in project finance, construction and banking disputes, is another name to note.
João Duarte de Sousa
‘The team is very knowledgeable and strategic. Lawyers provide fast responses and full availability.‘
‘Academic excellence with solution-oriented approach.‘
‘Miguel Azevedo is one of the finest and most competent litigators I have come across. He is worth considering in all venues of litigation.‘
Somague – A Sacyr Company Group
Bnp Paribas Sa/ Bnp Paribas Factor
Caixa Central De Crédito Agricola
Volvo Car Corporation
Jaguar And Land Rover
Honda Motor Europe
- Representing Somague SGPS in a lawsuit concerning the Portuguese corporate regime of responsibility.
- Acting for Dürr Spain and Dürr AG in a lawsuit brought by a major producer of aircraft related to alleged latent defects regarding the supply of a water waste treatment station.
- Representing Haitong Bank in lawsuits brought by several investors following the collapse of BES.
SRS Advogados fields a dedicated team of lawyers with experience both at national and international levels. The department undertakes a range of work in the field of dispute resolution, offering representation in commercial, financial and civil litigation and arbitration proceedings. Spanning more than 30 years as a litigator, negotiator and arbitrator, José Carlos Soares Machado oversees the practice group, which also counts Maria José de Tavares, who is regularly involved in complex commercial cases.
José Carlos Soares Machado
AIG Europe Limited –Sucursal em Portugal
Banco do Brasil
Barloworld STET (Sociedade Técnica Equipamentos E Tractores)
Copisa – Proyectos y Mantenimientos Industriales
Hoya Lens Ibéria
Iberdrola Renewables Portugal
Portuguese Building Owners Association
Sumol + Compal, S.A.
Tecnotrónica – Indústria e Comércio de Componentes
- Representing a company involved in organic food certification in a contractual dispute.
- Assisted Banco do Brazil in claiming credits of €5.5m in the special revitalisation proceedings of SIVA.
- Defending a company in the food and beverage sector in a case brought by minority shareholders.
APTS - Alves Pereira & Teixeira de Sousa, S.P., R.L. advises on litigation and arbitration matters involving civil, commercial and criminal disputes. The department is adept at advising on cross-border contentious issues, often in association with international law firms. João Marques de Almeida, who has in-depth knowledge of alternative dispute resolution, leads the practice.
João Marques de Almeida
‘Alves Pereira, Teixeira de Sousa & Associados, R.L lawyers work in a very professional way in every moment so you feel confident about the tasks they are fulfilling.‘
‘In our experience, both João Pedro Alves Pereira and João Almeida have demonstrated to be excellent professionals.‘
Assuranceforeningen SKULD (Singapore)
Fidelidade-Mundial (Império Bonança)
Guinea Foods SDN. BHD
Kühne+Nagel (group of companies)
LAM – Mozambican Airlines
La Réunion Aérienne
Pacific Sky Corp
Simflex Grilles & Closures Ltd. (MobilFlex Group of Companies)
Sociedad de Resinas Naturales, SL
Threadneedle Asset Management, Ltd.
- Represented AXA France in a ground-handling incident case involving the collision of a parked conveyer belt vehicle and a Gulfstream aircraft at Faro airport during a windstorm.
- Acting for Bear Canyon in a dispute concerning the boundaries of the land where the Hotel Conrad Hilton Algarve is located.
- Representing Guinea Foods in a dispute relating to the goodwill compensation claimed by its local commercial agent upon termination of their de-facto or implied agency agreement.
Caiado Guerreiro is adept at successfully handling disputes concerning large international companies, domestic corporations and private clients. Out-of-court settlements and alternative dispute resolution, namely arbitration, are important areas of activity for the department. João Caiado Guerreiro has a strong background in civil and commercial litigation; he manages the team with Sandra Ferreira Dias, who is also experienced in insolvency proceedings.
João Caiado Guerreiro; Sandra Ferreira Dias
‘Experienced and skilled team.‘
‘Availability and professional service.‘
‘Prompt response time.‘
‘Sandra Jesus is a very capable lawyer.‘
Pharol SGPS, SA
Birkenstock Productions GmbH
Artur Santos e José Santos
Imocompletissimo – Consultoria de Imóveis, S.A.
Hangzhou Eucherry, Trade Co. Ltd
Worldway, Investment Consulting Co., Ltd
Molaflex, Colchões S.A.
Ingrid Kränzle Gmb
Banque Raiffeisen S.L.
Olympus Iberia, S.A.U
HomeAway Uk Ltd
Banque Espírito Santo et de la Vénétie
Novo Nordisk – Comércio de Produtos Farmacêuticos, Lda.
Axéria Prevoyance, S.A. – Sucursal em Portugal
Société Etablissements Charles Chevignon
Biowise Pharmaceutical Unipessoal Lda.
- Representing a Chinese commercial company in a high-profile litigation before the Portuguese courts.
- Assists Delsk Group in several litigation proceedings against Portuguese real estate companies concerning a breach of services agreements.
- Representing Pharol in a complex litigation against the Brazilian company Oi and its Portuguese subsidiaries with a matter value of approximately €2bn.
Campos Ferreira, Sá Carneiro & Associados
Campos Ferreira, Sá Carneiro & Associados offers legal assistance to clients in contentious matters from the strategy preparation stage up until the end of legal proceedings. The department demonstrates a comprehensive background in litigation, particularly related to financial services, corporate, civil and commercial disputes.
In addition to commercial disputes, FCB Sociedade de Advogados is well equipped to assist clients in a range of contentious matters, namely pertaining to civil and criminal law, as well as those arising from construction, employment, IP, tax and public law disputes. Practice leader Rui Tabarra e Castro offers representation from first instance to Supreme Court appeals and is experienced in matters relating to contracts, bankruptcy and company recovery. Civil and commercial litigation are the main areas of activity for Luís Falcão Ramos.
Rui Tabarra e Castro
‘Dedicated team which offers pragmatic approach.’
‘Perfect knowledge of Portuguese law, and common practices in the country. Always up-to-date information, professional, and reliable.‘
‘FCB field a team with excellent availability and which provides realistic and pragmatic legal support.‘
‘The level of legal knowledge and total availability of lawyers are second to none.‘
‘Rui Tabarra Castro presents valuable solutions and inspires clients’ confidence.‘
‘Luís Falcão Ramos is always available to help and has a deep insight of all matters regarding our business in Portugal.‘
‘Rui Tabarra and Luís Falcão Ramos are recommended for their availability on matters and creativity in coming up with efficient solutions for the client.‘
Baschieri & Pellagri
TNT Express Worldwide (Portugal)
- Acting in ongoing dispute resolution and debt collection litigation on behalf of CGI.
- Handling around 200 matters on behalf of BCP against several companies and individuals, mainly civil and misdemeanour cases.
- Acting for Banco BIC in debt collections and other restructuring and insolvency contentious issues.
Macedo Vitorino & Associados provides legal support to clients in litigation and arbitration, particularly disputes related to distribution agreements, and is also adept in insolvency and restructuring proceedings. The team acts for clients from a range of sectors, including energy, aerospace, automobile and telecoms. Typical instructions also include contentious labour matters. João de Macedo Vitorino and Pedro de Almeida Cabral are the main contacts.
João Macedo Vitorino; Pedro Almeida Cabral
‘The team at Macedo Vitorino & Associados provides a good support system for its clients with dedicated lawyers that listen very well to customer needs and really get behind them.‘
‘João Silva has been exceptional in his support of our company. He has used his extensive knowledge of contract law and the legal process to clearly explain our rights and what steps we needed to take to get the best outcome.‘
Miranda & Associados
Miranda & Associados handles civil and commercial disputes on behalf of clients from a range of sectors, notably oil and gas, mining, construction, financial services and real estate. The practice has witnessed a recent growth in arbitration-related matters, both in Portugal and abroad. Practice head Sofia Martins offers representation to clients in disputes at all levels of the court system and arbitral tribunals. Pedro Melo joined from PLMJ, bringing a wealth of experience in public law as well as arbitration proceedings related to construction and concession contracts.
‘The team is cohesive and has extensive experience in international arbitration, notably proceedings related to the African continent.‘
‘Sofia Martins is an excellent practitioner. She studies each case thoroughly and is great in court.‘
‘Sofia Martins has in-depth knowledge and experience in arbitration.‘
‘Pedro Melo is recommended for administrative contentious matters.‘
State of Portugal
- Representing an energy company as one of the respondents in pre-arbitration proceedings.
- Acting for a renewable energy company in a case brought against it concerning one of its wind farms.
- Representing a company in the pharmaceutical sector brought by its former distributor.
VCA - Valadas Coriel & Associados fields a multi-disciplinary practice advising domestic and multinational corporates on commercial, civil and administrative disputes. Typical instructions include handling contentious matters in the fields of real estate, employment, maritime law, debt collection as well as tax, bankruptcy and insolvency. João Valadas Coriel is actively involved in dispute resolution and has extensive experience in oral pleadings before the Supreme and appellate courts. Another name to note is Hugo Martins Braz. Vera Chalaça relocated to the Ivory Coast to establish the firm's Portuguese desk there.
João Valadas Coriel; Hugo Martins Braz
‘VCA is very effective in disputes related to civil, commercial, insolvency, tax and criminal law. They work as a team and deliver excellent results, where senior lawyers are always involved with the claims. They report in time, always in a simple, practical and understandable way.‘
‘The professionals are skilled beyond the law as they have a clear understanding of clients’ business – these skills are not common elsewhere.‘
‘A fantastic team, very reactive and professional. There is always someone available to answer urgent matters.‘
‘The team’s main strengths and key capabilities are: an ability to negotiate on behalf of the client and reach the best deal; anticipate changes in national/international laws and regulations and timely advise the client and prepare it for those changes; ability to find innovative solutions.‘
‘The team is focused on achieving the best outcome on behalf of clients.‘
‘A legal team with a very rounded, diverse and broad skill set. Key capabilities include a clear organisational structure, strong internal communication and cross-client commitment.‘
‘We can always rely on receiving a very direct and clear response to our queries, as opposed to receiving a vague and overly cautious assessment.‘
‘As a client we feel we can turn to any team member, at any given point in time and receive a competent straight forward support to our most important strategic business decisions, in a manner that is proactive, accessible, responsive, creative and quick.‘
‘I consider the VCA team very sharp in outlying a strategy to solve the issues, and even more in applying it. They are true problem solvers.‘
‘Hugo Martins Braz and the team have great availability and legal specific acumen.‘
‘João Valadas Coriel is always available and ready to give his guidance and share his experience in various business scenarios, including overseas situations.‘
‘Hugo is a very dedicated individual towards its client goals and objectives.‘
‘João Valadas Coriel is an outstanding lawyer, extremely dynamic with fast and strong intelligent solutions. He makes me feel confident on all matters. He is a fast thinker with a very sharp brain.‘
‘João Valadas Coriel is a very trustworthy lawyer, who gives sound advice and who can lead a “task force” in the most efficient way.‘
‘Sofia Quental takes extreme care with the minimal details of any process, she is tireless and always reacts to every need or request.‘
EDP – Energias de Portugal, S.A.
TLC – The Lisbon Club, Actividades Hoteleiras, S.A.
Sousa & Diogo, Lda.
Eijrond Beheer BV
Anteprima Brands International, Limited, SL
Hotéis Roma, Marquês de Pombal, São José e Santa Marta
Pires & Cruz – Gestão Imobiliária, Lda
STILL – Soc. De Tratamento de Imagem Lusitana
- Manages thousands of lawsuits for Portugal’s second largest listed company, EDP – Energias de Portugal, on an ongoing basis, having recently implemented a special project to tackle negligent and criminal insolvencies.
- Acting for The Lisbon Club – Actividades Hoteleiras in a test case concerning fake reviews posted on multiple online platforms related to a five-star hotel.
- Acting for Sousa & Diogo, a holding company that owns several popular restaurants and pubs in the Algarve, in a dispute involving allegations of corporate tax fraud and IT fraud.
Andersen Tax and Legal | NGMS – Sociedade de Advogados
Andersen Tax and Legal | NGMS – Sociedade de Advogados provides legal support to clients operating in multiple industries and jurisdictions, specialising in complex local disputes on behalf of major domestic companies. Banking disputes, including insolvency, are among the core areas of practice, which also include civil, commercial, tax and labour litigation, as well as arbitration. The firm also fields a debt recovery sub-department, which is coordinated by Pedro Pestana Bastos. Gonçalo Mota Nogueira leads the arbitration practice, while José Mota Soares focuses on labour disputes.
Luís Nobre Guedes; Gonçalo Mota Nogueira; José Mota Soares; Pedro Pestana Bastos
‘The team established close relationships with clients, and demonstrates great commitment to every project.‘
Macieira Coelho Investimentos
IFT – Comércio Internacional Alimentar, S.A.
Banco Comercial Português
Caixa Económica Montepio Geral
Macieira Coelho Investimentos
- Representing Macieira Coelho Investimentos in a €1m arbitration concerning the termination of a contract to operate a commercial concession.
- Represents SEMAPA in a €4.5m dispute over the deduction of tax benefits in Corporate Income Tax.
- Represented IFT-Comércio Internacional Alimentar in a lawsuit against the contracting authority, in which the client demanded a declaration of illegality of the international procurement procedure for the food products supply, through the European Aid Fund for people in need.
CARDIGOS is a leader in the derivatives market, showcasing in-depth knowledge of litigation and arbitration involving derivatives contracts. The team is adept at advising multinationals, banks and public entities from the pre-litigation stage to trial. European law expert Porfírio Moreira and Pedro Moniz Lopes, who focuses on arbitration, lead the department, which has recently witnessed an increase in public and regulatory litigation.
Porfírio Moreira; Pedro Moniz Lopes
‘They have brilliant legal minds, they are well-organised and provide the service in a (cost-)effective manner.‘
‘The team is always available and has a solid experience in arbitration and litigation. They are 100% trustworthy and never stop thinking about the client’s best interests.‘
‘Porfírio Moreira and Pedro Lopes have brilliant legal minds. They are highly cultured individuals, empathetic communicators, very effective and proactive. They have solid experience in arbitration, especially advising public entities.‘
Metropolitano de Lisboa, E.P.E.
Metro do Porto, S.A.
Companhia Carris de Ferro, S.A.
STCP – Sociedade de Transportes Colectivos do Porto, S.A.
Autonomous Region of Madeira
InnoWave Technologies, S.A.
Banco Invest, S.A.
Sobarcol – Sociedade Barcelense de Construções, Lda.
FAI – Fundo de Apoio à Inovação
Jyske Bank Gibraltar Limited
João de Deus & Filhos, S.A.
- Represented state-owned transport company Metropolitano de Lisboa in its defence against a Portuguese association which is contesting the validity of certain derivatives agreements.
- Acted as counsel to companies owned by the Autonomous Region of Madeira on the validity of the derivative agreements they entered into with Banco Santander Totta.
- Provided legal assistance to a tech company in the context of ad hoc arbitral proceedings.
CCA Law Firm has an extensive track record in media-related litigation and also acts for clients in matters concerning administrative and regulatory law. Other areas of recent focus include disputes in the real estate sector, namely those pertaining to local accommodation, as well as private enforcement lawsuits. Civil and commercial arbitration also features. Civil litigation and disputes related to corporate restructuring and insolvency are some of Rita Cruz's specialisms. Catarina Limpo Serra is another key practitioner. Martim Menezes left for Abreu Advogados in 2020.
Rita Cruz; Marta Duarte; Catarina Limpo Serra
‘CCA provides clear and straightforward advice on litigation strategy. The team has a good sense of priorities and the ability to drill down immediately to the core issues.‘
‘CCA is a law firm that is always ready for their clients. They treat each case as if the client was unique and special. In any way possible they are willing to clarify and discuss the matters, always ready to listen and to adjust.‘
‘Lawyers are trustworthy and you know they will always present you with the best solution whether it implies going to court or to settle (when it refers to judicial/claims matters) or legal/compliance issues.‘
‘Domingos Cruz provides excellent strategic oversight on the key issues. Catarina Limpo Serra is a great team player and provides clear advice.‘
‘Henrique Salinas is an extraordinary lawyer, very experienced and available. He not only has deep knowledge of law but is also a very practical lawyer aiming to obtain the best possible solution for his clients.‘
‘Carlos Cruz is a very experienced and seasoned layer, with a good presence in the court. Despite his long career, he still has a need get ahead.‘
‘Rita Cruz is practical and assertive. She knows how to delegate and to explain all the matters in ways someone who knows nothing about law or judicial system would understand.‘
- CCA acted for an individual in a lawsuit brought against a media company, filing a restraining order and forcing it to remove all images of the individual.
- Representing IURD in several legal actions against TVI following a report broadcast by the latter.
- Representing Hiscox, an insurance company of arts dealers, which filed claims against Securitas Direct following a burglary.
pbbr - Sociedade de Advogados RL is well equipped to deal with administrative, insolvency, employment, corporate and commercial disputes. The department provides legal assistance in cases before all levels of the judicial court system and in relation to arbitration proceedings. Banking litigation is a particular area of interest for practice co-head Sofia de Sales Sousinha. Pedro Pinto, who regularly acts in corporate, commercial and real estate disputes, is another key practitioner.
Sofia de Sales Sousinha; Susana Gonçalves
‘The team’s availability, willingness to understand and address clients’ needs and pragmatic approach are worth being highlighted.‘
‘Availability to understand and constantly build upon new concepts to construct the case argumentation and strategy.‘
‘Sofia de Sales Sousinha, Susana Gonçalves, Pedro Pinto, Inês Carrilho and Marco Cardoso are recommended for their pragmatism, objectivity and client care skills.‘
ABANCA Corporacion Bancária
ECS Capital – Fundo Albuquerque
- Legal assistance to Abanca in several legal procedures, including one that aims to annul a credit contract.
- Advising Lisgráfica in commercial disputes.
Raposo Bernardo has extensive experience in both litigation and alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration. Clients regularly seek the team's assistance in corporate and shareholder litigation as well as disputes in the oil and gas, energy, banking and real estate sectors, among others. The team is led by Ana Cláudia Rangel, who has expertise in insolvency proceedings, arbitration and civil procedural law.
Ana Cláudia Rangel
- Representing a company in the aviation sector in a €9m arbitration case.
- Assisted a bank with the recovery of a portfolio amounting to $200m NPLs.
- Representing a client in litigation arising from the breach of agreements by its clients; advice covers debt collection, bankruptcy claims and asset seizures.
Rogério Alves & Associados – Sociedade de Advogados, SP, RL stands out for its longstanding track record in criminal law, but it is also adept at handling civil and commercial litigation. Disputes arising from agreements, corporate issues and property rights are typical instructions for the team, which is led by Rogério Alves. João Perry da Câmara has extensive experience in family and inheritance law as well as arbitration, which is also one of José Gonçalo Pereira's areas of activity.
‘The team adapts easily to clients’ needs, has a deep understanding of the law, and extensive experience in dispute resolution.‘
‘José Gonçalo Pereira is an excellent legal advisor.‘
António Manuel de Seabra e Melo Rodrigues
Rose Property Holdings
José Amorim Pais
José Casimiro Garcia
- Advising a former football manager/coach in a large compensation claim.
- Acting for Rose Property Holdings in a dispute concerning the breach of a promissory contract in relation to a real estate purchase.
- Advising and acting for a major retail company in judicial procedures regarding several of its megastores.
Fielding extensive experience in litigation and arbitration, TELLES is well versed in advising companies in relation to shareholders and corporate disputes, as well as conflicts arising from transactions. Insolvency, credit recovery and evictions are particular areas of expertise for the team, which is under the joint leadership of André Navarro de Noronha and Fernando Pizarro Monteiro.
André Navarro de Noronha; Fernando Pizarro Monteiro
‘Efficient, attentive and available.‘
‘Professionalism and excellent technical knowledge in various areas of law.‘
‘Availability, capacity, professionalism and diversity.‘
‘André Navarro de Noronha is always available, has great client care skills, and provides clear advice.‘
‘Nuno Cardoso stands out in the team.‘