The public procurement offering at Clifford Chance is led by state aid specialist Piotr Bogdanowicz. Highly regarded for supporting clients through the entirety of the investment process, it advises on compliance with EU treaties, the drafting of contracts and (where necessary) representations before the National Chamber of Appeals. The group also advises on the preparation of bankable drafts that eliminate re-tendering risk and assistance with project financing. A recent highlight is its work for Pfizer Polska, a case which dealt with the supply of a pneumococcal vaccine to the Ministry of Health (and ultimately led to proceedings before the National Chamber of Appeals).
Public procurement in Poland
Polskie LNG S.A.
Pfizer Polska sp. z o.o.
Doraco Nieruchomości Sp. z o.o.
TFI Energia S.A.
Indra Sistemas Polska sp. z o.o.
C&C Wind sp. z o.o.
Orange Polska S.A.
- Advising Polskie LNG on the process of expansion of the LNG terminal in Świnoujście.
- Acted for Pfizer Polska in public procurement proceedings for the supply of a pneumococcal vaccine to the Ministry of Health and in proceedings before the National Chamber of Appeals against the Ministry of Health.
- Advised Doraco Nieruchomości on the possibility of concluding a concession contract in order to implement a PPP investment project concerning the development of a former tram depot in Gdańsk.
Małgorzata Urbańska leads the public procurement practice at CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Pośniak i Bejm sp.k.. The team is known for advising on the competition aspects of consortia formation, the drafting of contracts and the legal aspects of public projects. Representing both authorities and contractors, it also handles the procedural aspects of tenders, competition law, state aid and contentious matters including appeals, white-collar criminal law, bid-rigging and anti-bribery. Marcin Bejm is the name to note for PPP contracts, concession agreements and licence agreements.
Other key lawyers:
European Investment Bank (EIB)
Bank Pekao SA
Warbud SA (Vinci Group)
Pojazdy Szynowe PESA Bydgoszcz SA
Centralny Port Komunikacyjny sp. z o.o. (Central Transportation Hub)
Incheon Airport in Seoul
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne S.A. (PSE)
Local Government Investment Fund (FIS) represented by Polish Development Fund
Górnośląskie Towarzystwo Lotnicze SA
Polska Grupa Lotnicza SA
- Represented a consortium of lenders in a major waste-to-energy PPP project in Olsztyn to construct a peak load boiler and a thermal waste treatment plan. The private partner was selected in a competitive dialogue procedure and the public-private partnership agreement’s wording was published during the selection proceeding.
- Advised Warbud, a Polish subsidiary of Vinci and one of the largest construction companies in Poland, on a project involving the financing, reconstruction and expansion of a secondary school in Piastów (near Warsaw).
- Advised PSE, the Polish electricity transmission operator, on negotiating a cooperation agreement with Litgrid, a Lithuanian electricity transmission operator, for the construction of a 700MW underwater DC cable in the Harmony Link project.
Dentons' public procurement team is led by the 'extremely experienced and skilled' Aldona Kowalczyk. Based in Warsaw, it is especially strong in sectors including energy, transport road construction and defence. Notably, the firm has recently expanded its work into areas such as gas pipeline projects and tenders for the service and delivery of electric buses, trams, and trains. The practice attracts a significant number of foreign clients and is adept at representing clients at the NAC and in court proceedings where necessary. Anna Szymańska is another key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Perfect in details, listening to our (clients) opinions, acting in line with our expectations, perfectly addressing key issues, getting to the point without creating incomprehensible legal stories’
‘Aldona and Anna together are the strongest legal duo I have ever seen in action in the court room. They both have very deep knowledge of energy sector‘.
‘Aldona as well as Anna are active in various sector organisations in the Public Procurement world and they are always up-to-date’.
‘Very high work attitude and understanding priority. Always easy on coordination and willing to help.’
‘Dentons Public Procurement Team is unique in many ways. First, they consist of at least two most respected legal experts in the field of the Public Procurement Law in Poland, namely Aldona Kowalczyk being a Partner and Anna Szymanska being a Managing Counsel. They both are very involved in the Public Procurement national organisation so you may be sure that if there is something going on in the market, they will be the first to know. Second, long standing record of won cases where they demonstrated practical and pro-business approach. They are smart, creative and always there to fight for their clients. Third, they are highly regarded and respected by the authorities and opposing counsels. Last, you can count on them to figure out the most complex solution for the new projects schemes or legal solutions that have never been done before and they are successful in finding the way for them to work.’
‘Aldona Kowalczyk (Partner) is an extremely experienced and skilled lawyer understanding the business and trying to comprehend even the technical side of the problem. She has this unique ability to explain even the most complicated legal or technical matters in most understandable manner and make people listen to her. Most of the court rulings where she represented the clients quote her in their legal ruling and justifications thereto.
‘Anna Szymanska (Managing Counsel) advises using the language of legal and where needed the language of the business. She is ready to implement the change or recommendations in the work flow. She always advises not only focusing on legal question given but she has this unique holistic legal approach as she is a great lawyer having a wide expert knowledge exceeding the Public Procurement Law‘.
TMNG (subsidiary of TAHAL Group)
Warsaw Bus Company (Miejskie Zakłady Autobuse w Warszawie – MZA)
- Advised Stadler in a €552m public procurement proceeding for the supply of 123 (optionally 90 more) trams to Tramwaje Warszawskie.
- Advised Stadler in €405m public procurement proceeding for the supply of 45 electric traction units to Metro Warszawskie (Warsaw Metro).
- Advising TMNG in three public procurement procedures concerning the selection of the contractor for the shore part of the interconnector of the Baltic Pipe project.
DLA Piper's public procurement leads are the Warsaw-based Krzysztof Kycia, Andrzej Balicki, Marta Frąckowiak and Adriana Mierzwa-Bronikowska. The group acts for local and international clients on PPPs, statutory powers (as well as statutory interpretations), the drafting of legislation, parliamentary procedures, judicial reviews and regulatory challenges. A recent highlight consists of its work for Deme Concessions Infrastructure, a matter concerning the preliminary stages of the PPP Outer Port deep water project in Gdynia. Agnieszka Chylińska and Jolanta Dąbrowicz are additional names to note.
Krzysztof Kycia; Andrzej Balicki; Marta Frackowiak; Adriana Mierzwa-Bronikowska
Other key lawyers:
Agnieszka Chylinska; Jolanta Dabrowicz
‘They have great knowledge of both pharma industry and pharma regulations. The team is composed of lawyers having experience at leading international law firms, in-house legal departments as well all public authorities’
‘Andrzej Balicki is a passionate lawyer who knows the pharmaceutical industry inside-out. He has a terrific expertise across the entire ecosystem for pharmaceutical producers, distributors and regulatory bodies. Jolanta Dabrowicz has an eye for details.’
‘Adriana Mierzwa-Bronikowska and Agnieszka Chylinska deserve to be singled out as having vast experience and serving as a first point of contact for wider advisory on the projects side. This necessarily involves public procurement. Adriana is particularly known for her experience as advisor and as co-author of legal handbooks.’
‘The team is simply great and their expertise is unmatched. They exceed expectations on many levels. ’
‘Andrzej Balicki is a terrific regulatory lawyer. He easily finds what is truly material. Has great experience in dealing with public authorities.’
‘This is a top tier team especially strong in distribution and procurement of pharmaceuticals. They have a great understanding of regulatory landscape in the life sciences sector.’
‘Andrzej Balicki is the main contact point in relation to all our matters. He is the market leading lawyer for pharmaceutical regulatory and distribution matters. Jolanta Dabrowicz shows experience in relation to publicly reimbursed products.’
PGE Energia Odnawialna
Smith & Nephew
The team at Domanski Zakrzewski Palinka, which is led by Warsaw-based partners Katarzyna Kuźma and Marcin Krakowiak, has expertise in Polish and European law as it relates to public procurement. It regularly works with foreign contractors bidding for domestic projects and handles both contentious and non-contentious issues. Other clients include government ministries, state-owned companies (Gaz-System) and construction firms (Astaldi, Budimex). The firm is also a founding member of the Public Procurement Law Association, a body that promotes professional ethics and EU standards. Senior associate Michał Wojciechowski provides additional support.
Katarzyna Kuźma; Marcin Krakowiak
Other key lawyers:
‘What makes DZP unique is that they think about our needs first, not theirs ’
‘I work with Michal Wojciechowski on a day-to-day basis – he understands our business needs, knows the sector well and his advice is always on point (and on time!). I especially value that he always has the bigger picture in mind, thanks to which he gives us good, reliable business advice and helps us avoid risks. Michal supervises the legal services provided to us by DZP. Another individual worth mentioning in Katarzyna Kuzma, who is very business oriented.’
‘Readiness to go beyond the limits of legal advice, ability to judge on the full picture and built a strategy correspondingly’
‘Very practice-oriented, able to explain complicated matters in easy words.’
‘The DZP team has solved successfully for us different issues in Public Procurements. The team was really engaged from the very beginning, looking for different solutions to the different issues.’
‘The individuals were well prepared, with a wide knowledge and with answers to our questions without doubts, showing that they really have the knowledge.’
Operator Gazociągów Przesyłowych Gaz-System S.A.
Zarząd Morskiego Portu Gdynia S.A.
Meridiam and Urbaser S.A.
TM. E. S.P.A. – Termomeccanica Ecologia
DSV Air&Sea sp. z o. o.
The Ministry of Development Funds and Regional Policy and the City of Kraków
Althea Polska sp. z o. o.
- Advised Gaz-System in procurement, energy and regulatory matters on the €1.7bn Baltic Pipe project.
- As part of a consortium, provided the Ministry of Development Funds and Regional Policy as well as the Zarząd Morskiego Portu Gdynia with comprehensive legal, economic, financial and technical advice in order to select a private partner for a PPP project entitled “Construction of the Outer Port in the Port of Gdynia”.
- Assisted Urbaser with a PPP project to implement a thermal waste treatment project (waste-to-energy process).
A popular choice for pre-implementation analyses, the public procurement team at Hogan Lovells (Warszawa) LLP is led by Andrzej Dębiec and counsel Bartosz Clemenz. Notably, the group also handles tender proceedings and advises on PPP contracts, bank loan agreements, sub-contracting and insurance matters. It also assists with matters pertaining to EU funding, state aid and public finance. Clients include state entities as well as private concessionaires
Andrzej Dębiec; Bartosz Clemenz
‘Hogan Lovells is a law firm that ‘gets it’. To a person, their attorneys and support staff are all aligned around the same concept.’
BBI Development S.A
Saur Polska sp. Z.o.o
Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Energetyki Cieplnej Sp. Z.o.o
Aecom Polska Sp. Z.o.o
- Advised Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Energetyki Cieplnej on a waste- to- energy project.
- Advised Saur Polska, the French water company, on the acquisition of a 100% interest in Polish water treatment company Separator Services.
- Represented a steel parts manufacturer Guivisa in a court dispute resulting from a major construction contract concerning one of the largest sports infrastructure investments in Poland (Stadion Śląski in Chorzów).
Energy sector expert Jan Roliński leads the public procurement team at WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr. The group acts for clients active in the energy, transportation, utilities and pharmaceuticals industries. In recent work, it is advising PKN Orlen on the construction of a major power plant in Ostrołęka. Associates Agnieszka Chwiałkowska and Michal Mielnik are other key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Agnieszka Chwialkowska; Michal Mielnik
‘The support of the team is comprehensive. The team suggests new ideas, and takes part in creating strategy. They are dedicated but also honest.’
‘Partner Jan Rolinski – demonstrates the highest in personal and business culture. Responsive, with wide knowledge of the practice area.’
‘Immediate availability and versatility.’
‘The team is characterized by a flexible approach to the issues taken and a high professional level.’
‘The entire team dedicated to servicing our institution was characterized by high commitment and readiness to support our process, even after working hours. This provided us with high availability of the service, meeting deadlines and support in making key decisions. Agnieszka Chwialkowska and Michal Mielnik were particularly involved.’
GE Power sp. z o.o.
Operator Gazociągów Przesyłowych GAZ-SYSTEM S.A.
SALINI IMPREGILO S.p.A.
TOTO S.P.A CONSTRUZIONI GENERALI
POCZTA POLSKA S.A.
ENEA Operator Sp. z o.o.
ENEA Trading Sp. z o.o.
Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Komunikacyjne w Poznaniu Sp. z o.o.
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne S.A.
Grifols Polska sp. z o.o.
Miejskie Wodociągi i Kanalizacja w Bydgoszczy sp. z o.o
TAURON Polska Energia S.A.
TAURON Dystrybucja S.A.
TAURON Wydobycie S.A.
TAURON Obsługa Klienta sp. z o.o.
Novo Nordisk Pharma Sp. z o.o.
- Supported the consortium of General Electric and Polimex Mostostal in a tender for the expansion of the Dolna Odra power plant.
- Supported GE Power, as the contractor, on a public procurement project run by ENEA Elektrownia Połaniec.
- Advised PKN Orlen on multiple analyses, opinions, contract negotiations and recommendations on public procurement procedure to award a contract to continue the construction of a power plant in Ostrołęka.
Tomasz Zalewski heads the commercial practice and Magdalena Zabłocka-Foulkes leads the PPP and infrastructure practice at Bird & Bird Szepietowski i wspólnicy sp. k. The team represents clients in disputes before the National Appeal Chamber as well as lower courts. Notably, the firm has particular experience advising on construction, infrastructure and IT projects, assisting contractors and contracting authorities with related sector issues. In addition, clients can benefit from its strong track record in PPP transactions, works concession schemes and matters impacted by public finance regulations. 'Extremely meticulous' associate Julita Hoffmann is a key contact for work concerning European Union funds.
Tomasz Zalewski; Magdalena Zabłocka-Foulkes
Other key lawyers:
‘The public procurement team is highly committed and very responsive. It comes up with creative solutions for complex issues.’
‘I cooperated with Mrs Magdalena Zablocka – Foulkes. Her expertise in Public Private Partnership brought real value added to our organisation.’
‘Responsiveness and flexibility, professionalism, outstanding experience and knowledge.‘
‘Tomasz Zalewski – the Partner, is an exceptional personality both from personal and professional perspective. He is a very competent, business oriented person that easily discovers out of the box solutions. Very involved, close to the clients and exceptional follow up on the projects. Exceptional lawyer. Unique on the market.‘
‘The public procurement team is highly committed and very responsive. It comes up with creative solutions for complex issues.’
‘The team is very open to discuss and understand technical matters which have a significant impact on the outcome of public procurement disputes. It has shown remarkable capability to use the industry knowledge they have as well as quickly understand new areas of technical landscape.’
‘The Practice is very responsive and involved in the projects. Provides a great support and understanding of the business.’
Siemens Sp. z o.o.
Emerson Process Management Sp. z o.o.
Ministry of Digitalisation
Jacobs Nuclear (previously Wood Nuclear)
Ministry of Investments and Economic Development
Solidarity Transport Hub Poland
- Supporting the Solidarity Transport Hub (CPK) in the process of selecting key consultants for a new airport in Poland.
- Represented Siemens Mobility before the district court in Warsaw in proceedings conducted by Metro Warszawskie Sp. z o.o. for the supply of 37 + 8 six-track electric multiple units intended to carry passengers on the first and second metro lines in Warsaw. The dispute was a continuation of a dispute before the National Appeals Chamber between the same parties. The appeals were submitted by Siemens Mobility and Stadler, while Skoda was defending the favourable rulings handed down by the National Appeals Chamber.
- Represented Bergen Engines Denmark A/S in the whole public procurement award procedure “Service of Rolls-Royce gas engines at PGE Energia Ciepła S.A.
CZUBLUN TREBICKI Law Office Professional Partnership
Public procurement matters at CZUBLUN TREBICKI Law Office Professional Partnership are led by Piotr Trębicki and recently promoted partner Joanna Hołowińska. The team assists with the drafting of correspondence, negotiations with contractors, the development of legal opinions on disputes and analysis of competitor offers. The firm also represents clients at the National Appeal Chamber in public procurement-related matters.
Piotr Trębicki; Joanna Hołowińska
‘Very deep knowledge and experience in the field of Public Procurement, fast and reliable solutions, open and sincere communication, fair billing, always available to help and answer legal questions.’
‘Direct, natural and polite communication style. Always ready to help and solve the problems, always available and providing immediate feedback.’
‘Piotr Trebicki is a lawyer distinguished from other lawyers in this field. He has vast experience and knowledge that he uses on a daily basis. Piotr Trebicki understands business needs, therefore his legal advice always takes them into account. Piotr Trebicki is a lawyer whom we can recommend to anyone who needs help in matters related to public procurement. Also worth mentioning is Joanna Holowinska.’
‘The public procurement law practice at Czublun Trebicki Law Office is a team with which I have been cooperating for many years. I know that I can entrust them with our company’s matters. In my opinion they stand out from other law offices. Lawyers from this law office care for their clients.’
‘The entire team of public procurement law in this law office is excellent, yet two individuals stand out: Piotr Trebicki and Joanna Holowinska. In my opinion they really stand out on the market. They are both distinguished by their care for the client’s matters and are true professionals in their field. Thanks to their work, our company’s legal problems are quickly solved.’
‘Piotr Trebicki heads the public procurement law team at the Czublun Trebicki Law Office. I entrust him with our company’s matters with full confidence. Piotr Trebicki presents a very high level of professionalism and substantive knowledge. He also has extensive experience in conducting proceedings before the National Appeals Chamber, which makes his help invaluable.’
‘ Piotr Trebicki is very effective in his work, thanks to his vast experience and business skills. Joanna Holowinska is a professional in public procurement law. She is competent, reliable and effective.’
‘Broad team with a lot of experience and flexibility. Very helpful and engaged’.
‘Piotr Trebicki has large experience in the Polish Procurement Law field and is keen on sharing his knowledge. It’s not only that he takes cares of the specific problem, he is also a mentor. ’
‘They are very well organized and have a lot of knowledge and experience ’
PENTACOMP Systemy Informatyczne S.A.
3M Poland Sp. z o.o.
ABB Sp. z o.o.
DXC Technology Polska Sp. z o.o.
HP Inc Polska Sp. z o.o.
CORNING Optical Communications Polska Sp. z o.o.
Teva Pharmaceuticals Polska Sp. z o.o.
Hollywood Textile Service Sp. z o. o.
Baxter Polska Sp. z o.o.
- Advised DXC Technology Polska during the procedure and negotiation of a contract.
- Represented Baxter Polska before the National Appeal Chamber.
- Represented Pentacomp in public procurement proceedings for the construction of a nationwide e-procurement platform.
Maruta Wachta sp. j.
At Maruta Wachta sp. j., Bartłomiej Wachta leads a team that provides 'out-of-the-box thinking' in relation to public procurement. The group advises on energy, telecoms and defence sector projects and also handles key matters affecting the construction industry. Its recent workload includes advice on infrastructure projects such as smart metering, electronical toll collections and weather warning systems. The team also assisted the National Labour Inspectorate with the assessment of bids for the development of an electronic document circulation system. Senior associate Jakub Krysa is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Comprehensive approach and out-of-the-box thinking in solving complex legal issues, very high level of availability.’
‘They are very dedicated and represent very high professional skills. Never heard that something is impossible. Mr. Jakub Krysa seems to know the answer for almost any question on the spot, and his academic approach helps us solve non-standard legal issues.’
Agencja Modernizacji i Restrukturyzacji Rolnictwa (ARiMR)
Energa Informatyka I Technologie sp. z o.o. (EITE)
Zakład Ubezpieczeń Społecznych (ZUS)
Operator Chmury Krajowej
TAURON Ciepło sp. z o.o.
Państwowa Inspekcja Pracy (PIP)
Uniwersytet Medyczny we Wrocławiu
- Provided legal support to Zakład Ubezpieczeń Społecznych in the preparation of the tender procedure for the provision of services to support the operation and maintenance of the comprehensive IT System (KSI system), which is the most important system in the social insurance institution, responsible for the service of 25 million customers and accounts for 30 percent of state funds.
- Advised Tauron Dystrybucja on the public procurement procedures for the awarding of procurement contract on “Delivery of Energy Meters for the Benefit of Distant Metering of Energy of Clients from the C1 Tariffs Groups for companies: PGE Dystrybucja, Enea Operato and Tauron Dystrybucja”, which is the biggest public procurement of such kind in Poland.
- Advising Operator Chmury Krajowej, a provider of cloud computing solutions on the Polish market, on public procurement matters.
Pieróg & Partnerzy
Boutique firm Pieróg & Partnerzy is led by Polish Public Procurement Office arbitrator Jerzy Pieróg and company law expert Joanna Presz-Król. Notably, the team has provided counsel to prominent institutions such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, PKP PLK and PKP (railway operators), the Polish Social Insurance Institution and the Court of Appeal in Warsaw. A key highlight concerns the team's successful work for a consortium featuring Indra Sistemas Polska, Rohill Engineering and Page Communication (this relates to the modernisation of police radio networks in some 13 cities and urban agglomerations).
Jerzy Pieróg; Joanna Presz
Social Insurance Institution (Zakład Ubezpieczeń Społecznych)
Regional Director for Environmental Protection in Bydgoszcz (Regionalna Dyrekcja Ochrony Środowiska w Bydgoszczy)
Energy Corporation in Siedlce sp z o.o. (Przedsiębiorstwo Energetyczne w Siedlcach Sp. z o.o.)
Fast City Rail Sp. z o.o. (Szybka Kolej Miejska Sp. z o.o.)
Solidarity Transport Hub Poland (Centralny Port Komunikacyjny)
Court of Appeal in Warsaw (Sąd Apelacyjny w Warszawie)
Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego
Cancer Center Hospital in Kielce (Świętokrzyskie Centrum Onkologii w Kielcach)
National Water Management Holding Polish Waters (Państwowe Gospodarstwo Wodne Wody Polskie)
Rohill Engineering B.V. / Rohill Technologies B.V.
Research Institute of Horticulture in Skierniewice (Instytut Ogrodnictwa w Skierniewicach)
Varian Mecical Systems
Central Archives of Modern Records (Archiwum Akt Nowych)
The Witelon StateUniversity of Applied Sciences in Legnica (Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Zawodowa i
- Advised a consortium of three companies: Indra Sistemas Polska Sp. z o.o., Rohill Engineering B.V. and Page Communication Sp. z o.o. in public procurement proceedings for: the modernisation of police radio networks in 13 cities and urban aglomerations to the ETSI TETRA standard system.
- Advising the Social Insurance Institution a project concerning support services for the operation and maintenance of the comprehensive information system.
- Advised National Water Management Holding Polish Water (Państwowe Gospodarstwo Wodne Wody Polskie) in a project concerning water infrastructure.
Wardynski & Partners
Covering domestic as well as EU law, the public procurement team at Wardynski & Partners is led by Mirella Lechna-Marchewka and recently promoted partner Anna Prigan. Clients include governmental authorities, utility firms, power plants, transport operators and medical suppliers. Notably, the team is adept at handling contract modification, dispute resolution, allegations of bid-rigging and M&A transactions. In addition, it also covers tenders for specialised supplies and services such as waste-to-energy and defence procurement. The practice is also known for its well-established expertise in risk mitigation.
Mirella Lechna-Marchewka; Anna Prigan
Posco Engineering and Construction Co. Ltd.
China Harbour Engineering co. Ltd.
Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Europe GmbH
Bureau Veritas Polska Sp. z o.o.
Baltic Workboats AS
Airport Coordination Limited
Centiro Solutions AB
Costruzione Linee Ferroviarie S.p.A.
UAB „MT Group”
- Acted for Posco E&C in its participation in a tender for the construction of a waste incineration plant, which included representing the client in appeal proceedings at the National Appeal Chamber and in complaint proceedings before a Regional Court regarding the ruling issued by the National Appeals Chamber against the second bidder in this tender.
- Acted for Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Europe as the key legal advisor in the project and have provided comprehensive legal advice in the public procurement competitive dialogue procedure. This is an EPC turnkey project and provides for the construction of a plant using innovative CCGT technology.
- Advised UAB on the construction of the Goleniów-Lwówek DN1000 gas pipeline together with infrastructure essential for its operation covering: Stage I – Goleniów-Ciecierzyce gas pipeline, Stage II – Ciecierzyce- Lwówek gas pipeline.
Baker McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Sp.k.
The public procurement team at Baker & McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa assists a broad spectrum of clients. The group advises on contract performance matters, PPP and assists both bidders and ordering parties at each stage of the investment procedure. It is adept at negotiating terms with both authorities and subcontractors and represents clients in appeal proceedings as well as those that arise towards the close of tender.
BSJP Brockhuis Jurczak Prusak Sroka Nilsson Sp. k.
Led by the 'extremely professional' Jarosław Sroka, the public procurement team at BSJP Brockhuis Jurczak Prusak Sroka Nilsson Sp. k. provides 'reliable and effective support'. Notably, the team handles public tenders and PPP-proceedings for clients including Ericsson and defence contractor SAAB; it advised the latter on a tender process for the Polish army’s tactical battlefield simulation system. It is also active for clients from the transport, energy, utilities and healthcare sectors.
‘Vast knowledge regarding building industry law and surrounding topics.’
‘Working directly with a partner who represents each case and makes cooperation with BSJP very efficient.’
‘Mr Sroka is extremely professional, always prepared, available for the meeting. His experience is based on real cases he worked on so advice is spot on and make the difference.’
‘BSJP team has excellent expertise in the public procurement law and procedures. They provide reliable and effective support.’
‘BSJP team (e.g. Mr J. Sroka), I am working with is very keen to acquire knowledge related to specific technology areas, which are the field of business of my company. It helps a lot in searching together for the best solutions.’
Ericsson Sp. z o.o.
SPIE Elbud Gdańsk S.A.
Kapsch Telematic Services Sp. z o.o.
Polaqua Sp. z o.o.
JSK Architekci Sp. z o.o.
voestalpine Railway Systems GmbH
Medtronic Sp. z o.o.
VAMED Sp. z o.o.
- Advised Kapsch Telematic Services on the Polish General Road Authority’s tender for motorway video tolling services (Plate-by-Plate tolling).
- Advised SAAB on the tender for the Polish Army’s Tactical Battlefield Simulation System.
- Advised SPIE Elbud Gdańsk on bids for the extension of power lines and subsequent dispute with the State Treasury, which the client won in court in a ground-breaking judgment.
The team at DWF Poland Jamka Sp.k has extensive experience advising domestic and international clients on public procurement matters, government contracts and regulatory issues. Led by Piotr Kunicki, the team advises on projects concerning roads, railways, energy, special vehicles and defence. Notably, the firm assists the Polish Association of Construction Employers in relation to projects handled by the General Directorate of National Roads and Motorways. Associate Lukasz Gembis is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Really professional team with a lot of knowledge in the field of litigation, public procurement, infrastructure, construction, and company law. They provide efficient solutions and strong alternatives to every tough situation a company might face during the whole dispute proceedings stage. Besides, I appreciate that they provide brilliant strategy suggestions during pre-litigation stage and help to reinforce legal grounds of the client both prior and during litigation stage’.
‘The dispute resolution team is an amazing team formed by members highly skilled, committed, and hardworking which provide efficient and exceptional legal advice, as well as best availability and strong legal solutions for each situation that might arise. They are experts in the field, and capable of leading the client through the best solution even under high pressure situations. In this sense, I highly recommend the brilliant team members’.
‘Piotr Kunicki is an amazing lawyer with a huge knowledge of company law, public procurement, and arbitration and litigation.’
‘Piotr Kunicki – very high personal culture, experience and a practical approach to the topic. Lukasz Gembis – open minded.’
Przedsiębiorstwo Usług Technicznych Intercor Sp. z o.o.
Construcciones RUBAU S.A.
Instal Warszawa S.A.
EthosEnergy Sp. z o.o.
Integrale IT Sp. z o.o.
Sinohydro Corporation Ltd.
Valard Polska Sp. z o.o.
Graph’IT Sp. z o.o.
Paramedica Polska Sp. z o.o.
Mosty Katowice Sp. z o.o.
- Advised PUT Intercor Sp. z o.o. on the largest railway project in Poland – Rail Baltica, amounting to PLN3.36bn.
- Represented Integrale IT before the National Appeals Chamber in three appeal cases lodged by the client and a competitor in a tendering process regarding the delivery of a computer system.
- Represented the consortium of Graph’IT, ECM Group Polska and Mieszko Niedźwiecki before the National Appeals Chamber in proceedings questioning the award of a design project by Dolnośląskie Centrum Onkologii in Wrocław (Cancer Treatment Center) to Graph’IT consortium.
The public procurement team at Eversheds Sutherland Wierzbowski recently welcomed former Dentons partner Michał Drozdowicz. Now leading the team, he brings expertise in energy, defence, aerospace and technology. The firm handles public procurement matters falling within EU and domestic regimes. Recent client wins include Lithuanian transmission operator Litgrid and tramline specialist Modertrans Poznań.
‘Eversheds Sutherland Wierzbowski is one of the best law firms in Poland. Definitely expert level of knowledge together with great energy market research make cooperation mutually beneficial for companies like ours. Responsiveness and accuracy of advice must be mentioned too. ’
‘Michal Drozdowicz, Head of Governments & Energy. It’s difficult to describe all in a few sentences however key differentiators like full commitment to the task, wide knowledge, support during all stages of a project and most important personal features of a character give uncountable value to cooperation.’
City of Warsaw
Modertrans Poznań Sp. z o.o.
- Advised Litgrid on the conclusion of the cooperation agreement regarding the construction of the “Harmony Link” submarine cable between Lithuania and Poland.
- Represented Modetrans in a tender for the supply of 56 (including an option) of the new tramways for MPK Wrocław, Poland.
- Represented Edwards Lifesciences Poland in a tender for the supply of Hemodynamic monitoring devices to the Voivodship Special Hospital in Łódź.
The 'hardworking and very pragmatic' team at JDP Drapala & Partners is led by 'highly skilled' associate Wojciech Merkwa. The group advises on all stages of the public procurement process (both regular and sectoral) and has a particular focus on the infrastructure, energy and services sectors. It is particularly notable for assistance with the analysis of regulations, the preparation of tender documentation, contract assessment, appeal proceedings before the National Chamber of Appeal and reviewing the validity of tender rejection and contractor exclusion.
KKLW Kurzynski Lyszyk Wierzbicki sp.k
Litigator Przemyslaw Wierzbicki leads the public procurement team at KKLW Kurzynski Lyszyk Wierzbicki sp.k which acts for contractors and contracting parties. The group acts for clients through the life cycle of tender procedures and also advises on contract performance and (where necessary) seeks legal remedy before the National Appeal Chamber.
NGL Legal is a key name in the public procurement space for those active in the defence, public security and aviation sectors. Led by Krzysztof Wiater and Jarosław Witek, the team has a long-established relationship with Raytheon Company and is currently assisting the client with a major Patriot missile system contract in Poland.
Krzysztof Wiater; Jarosław Witek
‘Customer-focused, concentrate on solutions and think about the business rather than legal theory.’
- Advised Raytheon, a leading US military supplier, on the offset connected with the acquisition by Polish Armed Forces of the Patriot system worth $4.6bn.
The team at White & Case M. Studniarek i Wspólnicy - Kancelaria Prawna sp.k. handles public procurement matters across various sectors. In particular, it covers energy, infrastructure and defence, areas in which it advises contractors on projects concerning renewable energy, roads, railways and defence. Maciej Zalewski remains a key contact, while former co-head Michał Zieniewski left for Deloitte Legal, Ostrowski, Gizicki i Wspólnicy sp.k. in October 2020.