Construction in Poland
Clifford Chance's team handles contentious and non-contentious construction law matters, with an impressive roster of investors, owners, funders, contractors and professional consultants among its clients. The group is led by Daniel Kopania, whose experience spans retail, office, warehouse, residential and mixed-use developments, as well as energy industrial plants, PPP and infrastructure projects. He is also noted for construction contract negotiations. Bartosz Krużewski, who leads the dispute resolution department, is noted for construction-related arbitration and litigation. Piotr Bogdanowicz focuses on public procurement and state aid, while counsel Michał Drwal specialises in construction disputes involving engineering and infrastructure projects.
PGE Górnictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna
Kulczyk Silverstein Properties
PGE Górnictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna
- Advising Capital Park on the ArtN office-retail scheme in the centre of Warsaw (including the redevelopment of the former Norblin factory).
- Acting for GGH (a joint venture of Chicago-based Golub and local Mennica) on the construction of the Mennica Legacy Towers in Warsaw, a class “A” office development in the centre of Warsaw.
- Advising Colas Polskaas, the sub-contractor of the works consisting in the paving of bituminous compounds, on the public procurement contract between Generalna Dyrekcja Dróg Krajowych i Autostrad and a consortium of companies – Toto S.p.A. Costruzioni Generali and Vianini Laviori S.p.A. – as part of the Construction of the Poznań – Wrocław S-5 expressway at the Poznań (A2) – Wronczyn section project.
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Pośniak i Bejm sp.k.
The dedicated construction team at CMS advises clients on construction projects, and represents them in construction disputes. The group advises on all aspects of the construction process, including at the implementation phase and at the completion of the investment. In disputes, lawyers act in mediation proceedings, litigation, arbitration, and in settlement hearings. The team is led by Lidia Dziurzyńska-Leipert, who also heads the firm's German desk. Counsel Michał Bork is noted for construction and design contracts and development agreements.
- Representing a consortium of Max Bögl Polska and Max Bögl Stiftung & Co K in three ongoing court litigations against the City of Wrocław in relation to the construction of the City Stadium in Wrocław.
- Advised gmp-Generalplanungsgesellschaft as a general designer and SBP as a designer of the stadium roof structure as a part of the Silesian Stadium in Chorzow renovation project, including representing the client in high-value multiparty disputes.
- Advising Trakcja PRKiI on the modernisation of the E30 / C-E30 railway line Kraków – Medyka – state border, including representing the client in a high-value court dispute concerning claims against the employer.
The department at Dentons is divided into two sub-teams: construction transactions, led by Piotr Staniszewski and construction dispute avoidance and dispute resolution, headed by Agnieszka Wojciechowska. On the non-contentious front, the group has experience of property acquisitions, zoning, environmental regulation, building permits, applying for EU funds and matters relating to special economic zones, as well as day-to-day advice on the performance of contractual duties. The firm's dispute avoidance practice assists clients with solving problems on site, while the team is well placed to represent clients in litigation or arbitration if a dispute escalates.
Piotr Staniszewski; Agnieszka Wojciechowska
‘I had the pleasure to cooperate closely with Agnieszka Wojciechowska, who is an outstanding construction disputes lawyer, very intelligent, sharp, diligent and hard-working, with an in-depth understanding of the construction business.‘
‘The team stands out for its ability to grasp quickly complex engineering and technical issues and propose tailor-made legal solutions in a business-oriented way.‘
Globalworth / Griffin Real Estate
Cromwell Property Group
Cambridge Innovation Center
Consortium of Saipem, Techint and PBG
Consortium of RUBAU and ROVER ALCISA
- Advised Cromwell Property Group on the preparation of the construction documentation for the extension of Janki Shopping Center, as well as assisting with ongoing matters pertaining to the construction process.
- Acted for office developer Virako on preparing and negotiating two contracts with Budimex, the general contractor of the “Monopolis” commercial, entertainment and office center in Łódź, also assisting with going matters pertaining to the construction process
- Representing an international consortium, comprising Saipem, Techint and PBG, in an ICC arbitration against Polskie LNG, in relation to the construction of an LNG regasification terminal, following changes to the administrative regime that substantially increased costs.
Jara Drapała & Partners
JDP Drapała & Partners is a specialist real estate and construction firm, that advises on all aspects of construction investment projects, including in relation to contracts and disputes. Przemysław Drapała, whose experience spans contentious and non-contentious construction work, jointly leads the team alongside construction litigation and arbitration expert Andrzej Sokołowski.
Przemysław Drapała; Andrzej Sokołowski
‘We highly appreciate the competence of the firm’s team. Their analysis of our business-related problems and their solutions help us in the safe conduct of our business.‘
‘Big team involvement, flexible response to increased needs. Good knowledge of the subject and market.‘
‘They are top-ranking experts in construction law and procedural questions, able to manage with the needs of a fast pace context.‘
Nokia Solutions and Networks
Impresa Pizzarotti & Co
Salcef Group Societa per Azioni
Mota-Engil Central Europe
Eiffage Polska Budownictwo
- Advised Nokia Solutions and Networks, as the contractor, on a five-year contract executed for the operator of Polish railways.
- Representing Budimex in proceedings concerning the western inner bypass of Białystok.
act BSWW advises on the spectrum of construction projects, including commercial, residential and warehouse developments, as well as infrastructure. The group's clients include Polish and international construction companies and real estate developers. The team is instructed on construction contracts, agreements for investment-related services involving contractors, infrastructure delivery agreements, zoning and environmental regulation. The group also handles construction-related litigation and arbitration. The department is jointly led by managing partners Marek Wojnar and Michał Wielhorski.
Michał Wielhorski; Marek Wojnar
Doosan Skoda Power
ECC Real Estate
Globalworth Poland (GPRE)
GN Jantaris (GN Group)
- Advised Strabag Real Estate on drafting and negotiating a development agreement of a downtown Warsaw hotel, subsequently followed by the building’s forward purchase.
- Assisted Globalworth with several dozen agreements for construction works, including the preparation of design documentation, investment project supervision services and technical supervision services.
- Advised a company from GN Management Holding on the execution of a general contractor agreement for a residential and retail project in Mielno.
DLA Piper is able to draw on substantial expertise in the construction and engineering industries. The group has a solid client base of contractors and developers, including Panattoni Europe, which it advises on all aspects of its projects. The team specialises in construction disputes, as well as construction contracts, procurement and payment issues, and finance. Corporate law and real estate expert Jacek Giziński leads the team alongside Krzysztof Kycia, who leads on litigation and regulatory issues.
Jacek Giziński; Krzysztof Kycia
‘The team is very capable and client oriented.‘
‘Agnieszka Lehwark is a great lawyer: fast and efficient with great understanding of commercial issues.‘
Bank Polska Kasa Opieki
EDP Renewables Polska
Elite Partners Capital
PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna
Pomorskie Przedsiębiorstwo Mechaniczno – Torowe
Qubus Hotel Management
- Advised Panattoni Europe, as the developer, on a development management agreement with LCN Capital Partners in relation to a warehouse-office building in Rawa Mazowiecka.
- Advised Elite Partners Capital on the negotiation of a development management agreement with Panattoni Europe and on the acquisition of a real estate property in northern Poland, currently supporting the client with the development of a logistics centre.
- Representing Porr in a dispute with Elektrobudowa and Bilfinger Industrial Services Polska concerning a claim and counter-claim arising from the electrical modernisation of a power plant.
Domanski Zakrzewski Palinka offers full construction services to private and public sector clients, including advice on public procurement, acquisitions and financing. The group also handles construction litigation and arbitration. Infrastructure investment expert Tomasz Darowski jointly heads the team with Marcin Krakowiak.
Tomasz Darowski; Marcin Krakowiak
‘We consider their services helpful and efficient due to on-time and accurate responses. the team consists of highly competent lawyers who have at their disposal extensive knowledge on the subject.‘
‘Highly professional results of legal services, very efficient negotiators.‘
‘They combine well-founded legal knowledge with practical project experience.‘
MTU Aero Engines AG and Lufthansa Technik
PGE Energia Odnawialna
The Ministry of Development and the City of Kraków
Wrocław City, SPV Wrocław 2012
- Advised MTU Aero Engines and Lufthansa Technik on the construction of an aviation repair plant in Jasionka.
- Advised Termomeccanica Ecologia on a project to finish the construction of a municipal waste incineration plant in Szczecin.
- Represented Śląskie Voivodship, as the tendering party, in project performance claims against the general contractor, designer and subcontractors; development of a project performance strategy after a construction failure, advice in litigation with the general contractor.
Construction is a core competency for DWF Poland Jamka Sp.k, which entered the market following the firm's acquisition of K&L Gates' Warsaw office in 2019. The group handles construction projects across the public and private sector, advising on all aspects of the process, including design, warranty and liability and regulatory requirements. Particular areas of expertise include contracts based on FIDIC requirements, consortium agreements, subcontracting, issues related to design services, project implementation, project agreements and public procurement. The group is also instructed in a variety of construction litigation and arbitration. Disputes lawyer Maciej Jamka heads the team along with construction law all-rounder Rafał Morek. Piotr Kunicki is also noted.
Maciej Jamka; Rafał Morek
‘One word: Piotr Kunicki. Not sure exactly what goes on beyond the scenes, because Piotr does a fantastic job of managing the client interface and ensuring all of the support we need is either seamlessly managed or quickly followed up.‘
‘They are very hardworking, and with a lot of experience in the construction sector, which has been shown at the moment in our disputes.‘
‘It is a great team. We always feel supported.’
China Overseas Engineering Group
Lubelski Węgiel “Bogdanka”
Sando Budownictwo Polska
Vias y Construcciones
Areas of key expertise for Linklaters include preparing contractual structures, drafting and negotiating construction contracts, renegotiations and assistance during the execution and post-execution phases, as well as construction-related claim management and dispute resolution. Lawyers have experience in all types of development projects, with notable recent highlights in the residential, retail, mixed-use, infrastructure and utilities sectors. The team is jointly led by head of real estate Artur Kulawski and construction and infrastructure expert, counsel Patryk Figiel.
Artur Kulawski; Patryk Figiel
Griffin Real Estate and Redefine Real Estate
W. P. Carey
- Advised Panattoni Europe on the construction of an 8,200 sqm production plant in Grudziądz for Kitron, a Norwegian producer of electronics, including assisting with the land acquisition during the bidding process initiated by the Pomorska Special Economic Zone and on the negotiations of the lease agreement with Kitron.
- Acted for W. P. Carey on the construction of a building located in Radomsko for Ontex Polska as the tenant.
- Advised Panattoni Europe on the construction of a logistics facility for DB Schenker, a leader in supply chain management and logistics solutions.
Wardynski & Partners
Wardynski & Partners' construction group has expertise in zoning, construction law, administrative regulations and investment contracts. The group advises on a range of public and private sector projects, in relation to office buildings, retail parks, housing estates, logistic centres, warehouses, production facilities and hospitals. Managing partner Stefan Jacyno jointly leads the team alongside Michał Gliński and Michał Wons.
Stefan Jacyno; Michał Gliński; Michał Wons
KK Wind Solutions
Cromwell European REIT
- Advised Mitiska REIM on drafting and negotiating a contract for design work and author supervision of a retail development in Ełk, and on a construction work contract for the extension of a retail park in Lubliniec.
- Assisted KK Wind Solutions Polska with the conclusion of a general contractor agreement (build-to-suit) related to the redesign and construction of a substation..
WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr's team is focused on construction projects relating to energy and infrastructure, advising large Polish and international contractors and contracting parties. The group is jointly led by Anna Flaga-Martynek and Marta Midloch, who was promoted to partner in 2019.
Anna Flaga-Martynek; Marta Midloch
‘Team of professionals, building long lasting relationships with clients. Fast working. Supportive advisors with wide range of expertise.‘
‘Anna Flaga-Martynek is an experienced professional with very deep knowledge of sector, understanding the goals of the project.‘
‘Marta Midloch is competent, highly prepared, rapid in action and a problem solver.‘
TOTO Costruzioni Generali
Miejskie Wodociągi i Kanalizacja w Bydgoszczy
Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Wodociągów i Kanalizacji
Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Komunikacyjne w Poznaniu
Tauron Polska Energia
- Advising Miejskie Wodociągi i Kanalizacja w Bydgoszczy on the complex legal aspects of the project for modernization and construction of a rainwater infrastructure in Bydgoszcz.
- Acted for Tauron Polska Energia on the project for the supply and implementation of the Advanced Metering Infrastructure (a unique tool in Europe) for the City of Wrocław and with respect to one of the pillars of the Smart Grid strategy.
- Advised Toto Costruzioni Generali and Vianini Lavori on the construction of a section of the S-5 expressway.
B2R Law Jankowski Stroiński Zięba, the result of a merger between Zieba & Partners and JSLEGAL - Jankowski, Stroinski & Partners in June 2020, advises public authorities, municipalities and companies in the private sector on the spectrum of construction and infrastructure projects, with expertise in a variety of public-private partnership (PPP) models. The group handles all phases of construction projects, including tender and public procurement, project documentation, development, financing, operation and management. Paweł Gunia leads the group and specialises in infrastructure, construction and energy and is one of Poland’s leading experts in public procurement law.
- Advising Beaulieu International Group on the acquisition of land and the construction of a production complex in Kietrz.
- Assisting Grupa Azoty with a project developed by Azoty Compounding, involving the construction of a compounding installation for ICX technology.
Elżanowski, Cherka & Wąsowski
Lawyers at Elżanowski, Cherka & Wąsowski have particular expertise in environment and heritage protection issues, which gives the firm an edge when advising on construction projects. The group is also regularly instructed in construction investment-related administrative proceedings, drawing on strong administrative expertise within the team. Maksymilian Cherka, specialising in project investment and construction law, jointly heads the team alongside heritage protection specialist Łukasz Dziamski.
Maksymilian Cherka; Łukasz Dziamski
‘They present a transparent attitude of shared responsibility for decisions made by the clients.‘
‘Good service, good knowledge of municipal authorities institutions.‘
‘The lawyers working on our case are friendly, always ready to react, are open minded and listen to the client.‘
Griffin Real Estate, Griffin Premium RE
Skanska Property Poland
Skanska Residential Development Poland
Polish companies from the Atrium European Real Estate Group
- Advised HB Reavis on obtaining a building permit for a major office complex to be constructed in the Warsaw district of Wola.
- Acted for Artn on the execution of an investment project on site of the former Norblin’s factory.
- Advised Echo on a road layout for the Echo Browary Warszawskie project located at Grzybowska Street, including the sale of plots of lands for the construction of public roads and obtaining a road layout building permit for the entire Echo Browary Warszawskie investment project.
JLSW Janaszczyk Lis & Wspólnicy
Based in Poznań, JLSW Janaszczyk Lis & Wspólnicy handles a number of significant construction projects, advising a range of international companies and investors on procurement and construction law issues. On the disputes side, the team draws on its impressive knowledge in public procurement and contracts to represent clients in FIDIC-based disputes, disputes relating to time extensions, final accounts, construction defects and contractual penalties. Rafał Frok heads the team with Jacek Kowalski.
Rafał Frok; Jacek Kowalski
‘The main difference between the firm and its competitors is that it is concerned and feels customer problems. Takes responsibility and works.‘
‘Great response in timing and quality. Extensive experience and knowledge combining different areas of law.‘
‘Out of the box thinking and wide perspective reach.‘
Fundacja im. Adama Mickiewicza w Poznaniu
Wielkopolskie Centrum Wspierania Inwestycji
Von der Heyden Group
Schlosser Heiztechnik Gruppe Polska
- Advised Poznańskie Towarzystwo Budownictwa Społecznego on the construction of a 3000-apartment development in Poznań, that includes social infrastructure and commercial space.
- Acted for Fundacja Uniwersytetu im. Adama Mickiewicza at the third stage tender processes connected with the Living Lab project.
- Advises Novum Plus on various aspects of its ongoing projects in and around Poznań, including apartments and housing developments.
Penteris handles construction matters across the spectrum of the area, including office, retail, residential, industrial and infrastructure developments. The group is instructed throughout the life-cycle of construction projects, on matters such as zoning, land acquisition, environmental compliance, administrative matters, construction contracts and sub-contracts. It also handles construction disputes when they arise. Przemysław Kastyak leads the construction practice group, which sits within Andrzej Tokaj's real estate department.
Andrzej Tokaj; Przemysław Kastyak
Octava Property Trust (Elliott Associates Group)
RIDA Development Corporation
- Advises Immobel on the construction of the Central Point office building in the centre of Warsaw.
- Assisting Rida Development Corporation with the development of an office project in Gdańsk city centre.
- Representing Norwegian company HAK Entreprenør in a case involving Vistal Gdynia, its partner in a consortium fulfilling the contract for the construction of Tana bridge in Norway.
SSW Pragmatic Solutions
SSW Pragmatic Solutions advises a mixture of Polish and international companies on their projects and investments. Areas of expertise include negotiating and drafting construction agreements, advising on joint venture projects, the execution of infrastructure projects and day-to-day construction matters, including disputes relating to issues with the construction process. Maciej Duch leads the department, and specialises in joint venture transactions, property portfolio management and greenfield investments.
‘Good knowledge about construction but, as well, tax related issues related to construction in the special economic zone.‘
H&M Hennes & Mauritz logistics
Jointly headed by Michał Subocz and Michał Zieniewski, the team at White & Case M. Studniarek i Wspólnicy - Kancelaria Prawna sp.k. works closely with the firm's dispute resolution, infrastructure and real estate groups, in addition to drawing on resources in the firm's offices across the CEE region. Areas of expertise include project finance, procurement and dispute resolution.
Michał Subocz; Michał Zieniewski
- Advising a consortium of senior lenders on the financing of the construction of a new 1,000 MW coal-fired power plant in Poland.
- Assisted a consortium of lenders with the project financing of the construction of a new propane dehydrogenation plant (PDH) and a polypropylene production plant (PP).