Angara Abello Concepcion Regala & Cruz Law Offices (ACCRALaw) advises on real estate development, construction, sales and acquisitions, and counts leading real estate developers among its clients. The team also advises its corporate clients on real estate transactions; recently, this has included acting as counsel for GlaxoSmithKline Philippines (and affiliated entities) in the proposed sale of the company's main office building in Makati City, together with the land it sits on. The team also has experience in land reclamation projects. Judy Hao heads the practice, which includes key partner Victor Lazatin, whose practice spans dispute resolution and real estate and construction.
Real estate and construction in Philippines
Republic Asahi Realty Corporation
- Acted as counsel for Republic Asahi Realty Corporation in the sale of certain parcels of land to the Pasig City local government.
- Advised pharma giant GlaxoSmithKline Philippines on the proposed sale of its main office building located in Makati City.
The 'responsive and knowledgeable' team at Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law) remains active in the real estate, construction and infrastructure sectors. Its diverse client base comprises new and longstanding clients operating in the transport, construction, energy and real estate sectors. In recent work, practice co-head Jaime Renato Gatmaytan and a team advised United Overseas Bank on a extending a loan facility to a Singapore property company, supported by a suretyship agreement issued by a Philippine affiliate of the borrower; the loan will be used to acquire a property in Singapore’s central business district. Norma Margarita Patacsil co-heads the team and often advises leading real estate developer Ayala Land on its land acquisitions and other legal issues.
Filinvest Development Corporation
JG Summit Holdings, Inc.
Changi Airports Philippines (I) Pte Ltd,
Philippine Airport Ground Support Solutions, Inc.
Ayala Land, Inc.
United Overseas Bank Limited
Dole Philippines, Inc.
Leighton Contractors (Asia) Limited
Republic Cement and CRH
De La Salle Santiago Zobel School, Inc. and its affiliates
AAC Optics Philippines, Inc.
Aboitiz Power Corporation and various other companies belonging to the Aboitiz group of companies
- Advised Aboitiz Power Corporation on the acquisition of several parcels of land in Luzon for the purpose of developing a solar power plant.
- Advised Ayala Land and its subsidiaries Cebu Holdings and Cebu Property Ventures and Development Corporation on the merger of the latter two companies.
- Assisted United Overseas Bank in extending a loan facility to a Singapore property company, for the purpose of acquiring a building in Singapore’s central business district.
Martinez Vergara Gonzalez & Serrano's real estate team receives plaudits for being 'accessible and creative'. It counts a number of notable real estate developers among its clients, including Property Company of Friends, which the team recently advised on commercial, retail and office leases for its industrial parks and IT park. It is adept in the capital markets space, and often acts for property companies in bond and note issuances, and project finance is another strength at the firm. Practice co-head Erika Paulino has notable experience in real estate financing and corporate transactions. Mark Vergara co-leads the group alongside Paulino and is active in project finance for construction and infrastructure developments.
‘The firm has excellent industry knowledge. It is always the first to inform us of any development which could be a threat or an opportunity‘.
‘The team is accessible and creative. The partners and associates also have in-depth knowledge of accounting for real estate, which is particularly complex‘.
SM Prime Holdings, Inc.
SM Development Corporation
Megawide Construction Corporation
Double Dragon Properties, Corp.
Sta. Lucia Land Inc.
Property Company of Friends, Inc.
Crown Equities, Inc.
P.A. Alvarez Properties & Development Corporation
- Assisted Property Company of Friends on various issues involving the operations and regulatory compliance of several of its industrial parks.
- Acted as counsel to P.A. Alvarez Properties and Development Corporation in its maiden issuance of perpetual notes in the aggregate amount of PHP1bn.
- Advised DoubleDragon Properties Corporation on the offer and sale of 135 million common shares, and an additional 15 million common shares allocated for the over-allotment option granted to BPI Capital Corporation as the stabilising agent.
Sitting within the broader corporate and commercial department, Quisumbing Torres's real estate and REITs practice group and hotels, resorts and tourism industry group provide a comprehensive service, covering everything from real estate finance to tax to commercial leasing. Construction litigation also features, and clients benefit from the firm's recently launched complimentary handbook, which assists companies in avoiding and managing construction disputes. Its clients include leading corporations from diverse sectors, often with multinational operations, and the team is able to leverage the Baker McKenzie firm network in cross-border projects. Pearl Liu and Julius Cervantes are leading figures in the team, and Michael Macapagal is a key contact at the associate level.
SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan services a diverse client base that ranges from individuals to foreign governments to real estate developers; for the latter, the team has experience advising on township projects, industrial parks, golf courses, hotels, residential condominiums and other developments. The full-service firm's leading practices in corporate and M&A and finance allow it to provide a comprehensive service. The team has recently advised on mixed-use real estate developments, land sales and acquisitions and leasing. John Paul De Leon has a strong focus on real estate; other key practitioners include Marievic Ramos-Añonuevo - who draws on over 30 years' experience - and Angel Salita Jr.
Metro Pacific Group
San Miguel Corporation
Aboitiz Power Corp.
Dentsu Aegis Network
Manila Electric Company
United Laboratories, Inc.
Mitsui & Co
Pueblo de Oro Development Corp.
Science Park of the Philippines
Galaxy Entertainment Group
- Advised San Miguel Corporation leading conglomerate on its unsolicited proposal for the financing, design, construction, and operation and maintenance of the New Manila International Airport.
Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law) receives plaudits for its 'practical and helpful' advice. It advises developers of commercial, residential, industrial and mixed-use projects on the corporate, commercial, real estate and regulatory aspects of their developments. Recently, the team has advised a number of clients on the sale and acquisitions of land. Sylvette Tankiang receives particular praise; she has experience in the real estate, mining, natural resources and energy sectors, among others. Raoul Angangco and Maria Concepcion Simundac are also key practitioners in this space.
‘The team knows the law and practice in the energy sector well. It is also very responsive and can turn around documents within the tight timeframe of our project‘.
‘Sylvette Tankiang is an expert; she offers the practical advice and advises on local market practices‘.
Mori Hamada & Matsumoto for Hankyu Hanshin Express Philippines, Inc.
Macrolink Holding Co., Ltd.
- Acted as legal counsel for Mori Hamada & Matsumoto for Hankyu Hanshin Express Philippines in the conduct of legal due diligence for the acquisition and development of two residential projects involving 43 hectares of land, in partnership with a local real estate company.
- On behalf of client Macrolink Holding, handled the due diligence of parcels of land covered by approximately 100 land titles.
Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia has experience in commercial, residential, industrial, and mixed-use real estate projects, and its clients include multilateral international organisations, local government units and private corporations. The team often advises on the purchase (including the due diligence) of real estate. Recently, Divina Gracia Pedron and a team assisted the Korean Embassy in the Philippines in the negotiation of a sale agreement for the acquisition of land and/or office condominium units in Metro Manila for the use of the Korean Cultural Center Philippines. Aida Araceli Roxas-Rivera and Manuel Manaligod are names to note.
W Group, Inc.
Baltimore Land, Inc.
Luxpacific Realty, Inc.
Korean Embassy in the Philippines
- Advised W Group in the acquisition of parcels of land consisting of 20,000 square meters in Clark Global City.
- Advised Korean Embassy in the Philippines on the acquisition of real property for the use of the Korean Cultural Center Philippines.
- Advised Luxpacific Realty in the negotiation and execution of the acquisition of land in Clark Global City.
Fortun Narvasa & Salazar is equipped to handle a number of corporate real estate transactions, and has recently worked with a number of new and longstanding clients in the real estate, hotels and energy sectors. Highlights included advising Unilinkland Properties and the Xiang Lu Group of Companies on the due diligence of 11 parcels of land, consisting of 165 hectares, located in Porac, Pampanga; Roderick Salazar III led the advice and was supported by key associate John Matthew Medina.
Onemanaoag Solar Corporation
JS Unitrade Inc.
Xiang Lu Group of Companies
Wong Chu King Holdings, Inc.
Galenz Capital Limited
- Advised two companies on the the due diligence of 11 parcels of land, consisting of 165 hectares, located in Porac, Pampanga.
- On behalf of JS Unitrade, conducted due diligence on the titles to ten parcels of land with a total area of 5,304 square meters.
- Advised Japanese investment company Galenz Capital Limited in the sale of a condominium.
Well-regarded firm Gulapa & Quicho (Gulapa Law) maintains a focus on real estate, construction and infrastructure. In addition to the Manila office, the firm benefits from having two offices in the US, in New York and San Francisco, allowing the firm to assist US-based clients in their investments and expansion into the Philippine and ASEAN markets. The firm has particular strength in PPPs involving road, rail, sea and airport projects. Highlights included assisting Asian Development Bank, which advised the Bases Conversion Development Authority in the selection process for its joint venture partner for the development of a 200-hectare National Government Administrative Center. Aris Gulapa leads the team, which includes recently promoted partner Jose Angel Machuca.
Other key lawyers:
Metro Pacific Investments Corporation
Asian Development Bank
JG Summit Holdings, Inc.
AC Infrastructure Holdings Corporation
Infracorp Development, Inc.
Aboitiz InfraCapital, Inc.
SM Prime Holdings Inc.
International Finance Corporation
- Advised SM Prime Holdings on the selection of a contractor for a reclamation project which involves 360 hectares of land in Manila Bay.
- Advised Asian Development Bank on the omplementation of the joint venture agreement for the Philippine National Government Administrative Center.
- Advised Infracorp Development, Inc. on its unsolicited proposal for the design, engineering and construction of the Fort Bonifacio-Makati Skytrain.
Ocampo Manalo Valdez & Lim
The real estate and construction team at Ocampo Manalo Valdez & Lim advises on commercial agreements and regulatory concerns. Clients include Aeroports de Paris Management, Cockram Construction, Eversendai Philippines, Kajima and Takenaka Construction.
Picazo Buyco Tan Fider & Santos
Picazo Buyco Tan Fider & Santos has advised on projects including the Fort Bonifacio privatisation and modernisation of the biggest regional airport in the Philippines.
Poblador Bautista & Reyes
Romulo Mabanta Buenaventura Sayoc & De Los Angeles
Romulo Mabanta Buenaventura Sayoc & De Los Angeles advises on all issues relating to land ownership in the Philippines, as well as foreign investment.