The very experienced team at Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia has a solid reputation for its work on a broad-range of projects, and has considerable expertise in the renewable energy sector. It garners praise for its work on the development of water rights, in conjunction with its work on major mining and natural resources projects. Senior partner Manuel Manaligod is vastly experienced in infrastructure and public-private partnership transactions. Patricia Bunye has significant experience in a broad-range of mining, natural resources and energy projects Also recommended is Pancho Umali who has a wide-range of experience in corporate deals and projects, as well as in handling mining, energy and natural resources issues. Francis Fragante was promoted to the partnership in January 2023 and has notably advised the government on numerous infrastructure, build-operate-transfer, and public-private partnership projects.
Projects and energy in Philippines
Manuel Manaligod; Patricia Bunye
Other key lawyers:
Pancho Umali; Francis Fragante
‘As a foreign investor, their report helped me understand the energy law in the Philippines. They have good teamwork capabilities and wide practical experience in this field.’
‘The people are very professional. Their advice is always on time and thorough.’
‘The team is very approachable, professional and friendly and experienced in many fields in any industry.’
‘I think experience, professionalism and willingness to deliver a certain solution in a short period of time are all key to the firm’s success.’
Filminera Resources Corporation
Sagittarius Mines, Inc.
Therma Visayas, Inc.
DMCI Power Corporation
Green Energy Management Holdings, Inc.
Nido Petroleum Philippines Pty Ltd
Cemex Strategies Philippines, Inc.
W Group, Inc./Portuguese Realty, Inc.
Redco Properties Group Limited
W Ventures, Inc.
Red Core Geothermal
Aboitiz Renewables, Inc.
Public-Private Partnership Center
C5 Mass Transit Corporation Limited
Air Liquide Philippines, Inc.
Liansheng Manufacturing Corp.
JSCO Holdings Ltd Co
Holcim Philippines, Inc.
Asian Terminals, Inc.
- Advising Sagittarius Mines, Inc. regarding the Tampakan Copper-Gold Project, prospectively the largest copper-gold project in the Philippines.
- Advising the consortiums specifically organised to develop & implement the C5 Metro Rail Transit Line 10 Project and Metro Rail Transit Line 11 Project.
- Advised a leading renewable company on a potential acquisition of shares in four companies engaged in various wind offshore projects in different parts of the Philippines, whose current projects have the potential of generating 2,450MW of electricity.
The thriving practice at Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law) is highly regarded for its work in the projects, energy and infrastructure sectors. Under the joint leadership of Ben Dominic Yap and Jaime Renato Gatmaytan, it regularly acts as counsel for many of the largest power generation companies operating in the Philippines, as well as for several other industry participants from a wide-range of sectors. Yap works with leading energy companies both on the contentious and non-contentious aspects of their construction, energy, and infrastructure projects. Gatmaytan advises developers and sponsors on tenders for generation projects overseas; Annalisa Carlota is is a projects and finance lawyer with a vast array of experience in energy and infrastructure development in the Philippines and across Asia; and Andrea Katipunan has significant experience in complex energy deals and regulatory matters.
Ben Dominic Yap; Jaime Renato Gatmaytan
Other key lawyers:
Annalisa Carlota; Andrea Katipunan
‘The team responded to us quickly and effectively.’
‘Annalisa Carlota has always provided professional services for us. ’
Aboitiz Group of Companies
Ayala Group of Companies
Lopez Group of Companies
Global Business Power Corporation
- Advising First Gen Corporation and FGEN LNG Corporation on an LNG infrastructure development project valued in excess of $1bn.
- Advising on the The Export-Import Bank of China’s RMB2.3bn loan to the government of the Republic of the Philippines to finance the implementation of the Samal Island-Davao City Connector Project.
- Advising on The U.S. International Development Finance Corporation’s $20m loan to an agribusiness company.
The highly-regarded team at Gulapa & Lim (Gulapa Law) has a strong track-record for its work on key infrastructure projects. It also excels in the energy sector, particularly in solar and wind projects. Aris Gulapa has considerable expertise in infrastructure projects, especially in transport and energy. Charmaine Rose Haw-Lim has a wealth of experience in the energy sector and in renewable energy projects, and has worked on some major toll road-related projects involving toll roads. Haw-Lim is also adept at advising government-owned and controlled corporations on the procurement of power. The team has been involved in numerous important PPP projects that have been rolled out by the Philippine government, and has represented either the government or private bidders on such projects, which have variously related to rail assets, IT infrastructure and airports. The group has also worked on several healthcare projects.
Aris Gulapa; Charmaine Rose Haw-Lim
‘G&L is the most responsive and client-oriented law firm I have ever worked with.’
‘They feel passionately about the success of the project as we do. They are competent, timely, easy to reach, and are always easy to talk to.’
‘They become part of our team, helping us reach our objectives. Aris Gulapa and Charmaine Lim are the partners that have unquestionable competence.’
‘They are very attentive to the needs of their client. They also have a holistic approach in resolving issues and structuring transactions – you feel like you’re getting more than what you pay for.’
‘The firm has provided us with sound and comprehensive legal services that aptly support our business. The team is well-rounded and well-versed in the concerns with which we have required their assistance.’
‘The team is very cooperative and the firm is also very flexible and understanding with our outstanding billings.’
‘The members are very familiar with the industry which we work in.’
Asian Development Bank
Standard Systems and Wastewater Technology
SM Prime Holdings, Inc.
International Financial Corporation
Aboitiz InfraCapital, Inc.
Lamut-Asipulo Mini Hydro Corporation
First Balfour, Inc.
WPD Onshore GmbH
University of the Philippines – Philippine General Hospital
Bases Conversion and Development Corporation
- Advising the University of the Philippines on a project to finance, design, construct, operate and maintain a cancer facility as part of the Philippine General Hospital.
- Assisting the Asian Development Bank (‘ADB’) in guiding the Laguna Lake Development Authority (“LLDA”) in the drafting of the implementing rules and regulations for LLDA’s allocation of the Laguna Bay water surface to developers of floating solar photovoltaic projects.
- Assisting the ADB in the structuring and the drafting of the bidding documentation for the Metro Manila Subway and North-South Commuter Rail O&M PPP Projects.
The practice at Martinez Vergara & Gonzalez Sociedad is collectively led by Manuel Gonzalez; Erika Paulino and Gwyneth Ong. It has particular expertise in both traditional and renewable power, and in infrastructure projects work. The agile team has advised several private project proponents and financiers on a range of infrastructure, energy and natural resources projects. It is skilled in helping sponsors and bidders on issues relating to the bidding processes, and on other matters involving the relevant regulatory authorities. The group has been actively involved in a number of project financings relating to infrastructure and energy projects, and has acted as counsel to lender-banks, financial institutions and sponsors. Mark Vergara is another key contact, who heads the firm’s banking & finance practice group, and has considerable expertise in project financing.
Manuel Gonzalez; Erika Paulino; Gwyneth Ong
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong familiarity with renewable energy matters. Solid track record in advising renewable companies with REITs, perpetual preferred issuances, IPOs.’
‘Manuel Gonzalez is an excellent partner, with good relationship skills with regulators and clients.’
BDO Unibank, Inc. Trust and Investments Group
Asia United Bank, Union Bank of the Philippines
Communication and Renewable Energy Infrastructure (CREI) Phils. Inc.
BDO Unibank, Inc.
Century Pacific Group, Inc.
Citicore Energy REIT Corp.
Alternergy Holdings Corporation
Map 2000 Development Corporation
Basic Energy Corporation
Bank of Commerce, Philippine Commercial Capital, Inc.
PV Sinag Power Inc., a subsidiary of Aboitiz Renewables Inc.
Steniel Manufacturing Corporation; Greenkraft Group of Companies
Greenkraft Group of Companies
Unity Digital Infrastructure, Inc.
Puyat Jacinto & Santos Law Offices has a strong reputation for its work with both local and international clients. These clients include government agencies, as well as new players in the private sector. It is skilled at advising on the legal, regulatory and commercial aspects of energy projects. The versatile team is well-placed to advise on a wide-range of infrastructure and PPP projects, including those relating to airports, education, power and toll roads. It also advises on other matters relating to waste management, rail, transportation and waterworks. Ramil Bugayong and Gwen Grecia-De Vera are recommended, alongside Miguel Antonio Mendoza; Najha Katrina Estrella and Rowena Salonga; all oversee the practice.
Ramil Bugayong; Gwen Grecia-de Vera; Miguel Antonio Mendoza; Najha Katrina Estrella; Rowena Salonga
Dennis Quintero heads the practice at Quisumbing Torres, which has been busy advising on a range of energy, mining and infrastructure projects. It is skilled at advising entities in the private sector including lenders, financiers, constructors and operators. The group regularly advises public stakeholders such as the government and concessionaires on large-scale projects also. It is frequently engaged as counsel in relation to projects which are undertaken by the government under public-private-partnership programmes, and in transactions involving bids relating to the privatisation of government assets and contracts. The group has a wealth of experience in various sectors such as renewable energy and power, as well as infrastructure, oil and gas. Other areas of expertise include mining, metals and petrochemicals. Donemark Calimon is recommended along with Michael Macapagal . Ina Alexandra Dominguez is another significant member of the department.
Other key lawyers:
Ina Alexandra Dominguez; Donemark Calimon; Michael Macapagal
‘Excellent client care. Innovative. Experienced. Able to call on network of international offices to service multi-jurisdictional disputes.’
‘Donemark Calimon is extremely hardworking, dedicated, sensible and creative.’
APG Asset Management
Changi Airport International Pte. Ltd.
Shell Pilipinas Corporation
Sankyu Southeast Asia Holdings Pte. Ltd.
SBA Communications Corporation
- Successfully assisted Shell Overseas Investments B.V. (Shell) in its joint venture with Nickel Asia’s renewable energy unit, Emerging Power Inc. (EPI), to develop, own, operate, and maintain onshore renewable energy projects in the Philippines.
- Successfully assisted Shell International Exploration and Production BV in its offshore wind joint venture project with Alternergy Holdings Corporation, a local developer with a track record in onshore wind projects.
- Successfully advised a Philippine mining nickel company on a potential supply agreement and joint venture for downstream nickel processing project for the production of nickel components for batteries for use in electric vehicles.
Led by Rocky Alejandro Reyes, the highly regarded team at SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan has long-standing experience advising on key projects in the construction and infrastructure sectors. It has worked on major power generation projects, and has advised on the various phases of the mass railway transit system. The team also works on projects relating to toll roads and water infrastructure. On these projects, the group has acted for stakeholders such as project employers and project proponents. It has also advised banks and other financiers, as well as construction contractors. Hector De Leon is a significant member of the department who has significant experience working with clients in the energy, mining, oil and gas, and infrastructure sectors. Roshni Balani and Mark Xavier Oyales both became partners in January 2023.
Rocky Alejandro Reyes
Other key lawyers:
Hector de Leon; Roshni Balani; Mark Xavier Oyales
Dentsu Aegis Network
Frontier Tower Associates Philippines, Inc.
Gilbert & Tobin
Keppel Midgard Holdings Pte. Ltd.
Manila Electric Company
Metro Pacific Group
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Mitsui & Co
San Miguel Corporation
United Laboratories, Inc.
At Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law), Sylvette Tankiang advises on ownership and contract structuring of renewable energy projects, while Franchette Acosta advises clients in bidding for government infrastructure projects under the build-operate-transfer and procurement laws of the Philippines. Tankiang and Acosta jointly lead the team alongside Raoul Angangco.
Raoul Angangco; Sylvette Tankiang; Franchette Acosta
Other key lawyers:
Kristin Charisse Siao; Richard Henrick Beltran; Carlo Augustine Roman
Taihu Holding Pte. Ltd.
China Datang Overseas Investment Co., Ltd.
Genlot Game Technology
Aboitiz InfraCapital, Inc.
- Advised Udenna Corporation in its proposed investments, through its subsidiaries, in the Malampaya Gas Field, specifically in the (1) purchase of Chevron Malampaya LLC, holder of 45% participating contractual interest in the service contract for the Malampaya Gas Field, and (2) the proposed purchase of Shell Philippines Exploration B.V., holder of another 45% operating interest in the same service contract.
- Acting as legal counsel for Taihu Holding Pte. Ltd regarding its plans to develop a 50MW wind turbine project in the northern portion of the island of Luzon worth USD 120,000,000.00 intended to supplement the energy capacity available for the region’s far-flung towns and cities.
- Acted as local counsel of China Datang Overseas Investment Co., Ltd.. in connection with its planned investment in Sunpalo Solar Energy, Inc. which is engaged in the business of developing and operating a solar powerplant in the Philippines.
Tolosa Javier Law
With Filemon Javier and Dyan Danika G. Lim-Ong jointly at its helm, the projects and energy team at Tolosa Javier Law continues to thrive. It advises clients on various energy matters, and is skilled at handling a substantial number of cases before the energy regulatory agencies in the Philippines. The group is currently representing a large distribution utility company in its litigation cases. In addition, it is recognised for its advice to entities on issues relating to the competitive selection processes, and on public bidding for the award of power supply agreements.
Filemon Javier; Dyan Danika G. Lim-Ong
Manila Electric Company
Iligan Light & Power, Inc.
MPower, retail electricity arm of Manila Electric Company
Chevron Philippines, Inc.
Divina Law has significantly expanded with the additions of a number of team members, most notably, Jose Layug and Richie Avigale Ramos-Pilares from Puno & Puno Law Offices in March 2023. It now boasts considerable expertise in the field of renewable energy, extractive energy resources and power. Layug and Ramos-Pilares have worked on a substantial number of renewable energy service contracts for various RE projects, including biomass, ground-mounted solar and floating solar projects. Other areas of expertise include advising on onshore wind and offshore wind technologies.
Jose Layug; Richie Avigale Ramos-Pilares
‘The team is able to accommodate our needs and requirements with an acceptable turnaround time.’
‘They are pleasant to deal with and approachable.’
‘A large energy practice staffed by highly qualified and skilled lawyers. The management team has had experience at all levels of the industry from public company, senior government bureaucrat and private legal practice. This level of experience is rare in the legal profession.’
Air Liquide Philippines, Inc.
BVG & Associates
Global Wind Energy Council
Iligan Light Philippines Inc.
Metro Pacific Investment Corporation
PetroGreen Energy Corporation
Phinma Solar Corporation
Victorias Milling Company
- Acting as legal adviser to at least 150 renewable energy projects owned or to be developed by at least 10 clients.
- Acting as counsel to some of the major offshore wind developers in the Philippines.
- Advised several clients in pursuing policy and regulatory reforms in the energy sector.
Gorriceta Africa Cauton & Saavedra
Julius M. Lotilla, Anthony Edsel Tupaz and Kristine Torres collectively spearhead the department at Gorriceta Africa Cauton & Saavedra. It is adept at handling a range of special projects, infrastructure, real estate and construction matters in the Philippines. The agile team advises government agencies and clients on a variety of matters relating to PPP transactions, concession agreements and toll operation contracts.
Julius M. Lotilla; Anthony Edsel Tupaz; Kristine Torres
‘The firm’s team is composed of class-A lawyers that each have specific industry experience in their respective fields. They are responsive and highly competent.’
‘They are a world-class law firm with all the attributes of a large firm but the agility and speed and responsiveness of a small-sized firm.’
Oceantera Energy Corporation
Knottical Power Energy Corporation
D.M. Wenceslao (Aseana City)
Asiawide Land Specialist Development Corp.
Victory Liner, Inc.
Pangasinan Five Star
China Design Group Co. Ltd
Under the collective leadership of Martin Subido, Jennifer Ong and Princesita Pasana-Turgano, the nimble team at Subido Pagente Certeza Mendoza & Binay (SPCMB Law Offices) continues to be busy advising on several public-private partnerships in areas as diverse as mass transportation and information technology solutions. It is also well-placed to handle complex project financing matters.
Martin Subido; Jennifer Ong; Princesita Pasana-Turgano
‘The team is agile.’
‘Keen to details.’
Neo-Connect ICT Solutions, Inc.
Makati Life Nurture Medical Center, Inc.
Scheirman Construction Consolidated, Inc.
WRS Holdings, Inc.
Ibayad Online Ventures, Inc.
- Advised WRS Holdings, Inc. and Scheirman Construction Consolidated, Inc. (the “Private Sector Proponents”) with all the requirements for the submission of the unsolicited proposal for Public-Private Partnership for the financing, design, construction, operation and development of a mixed-use Integrated Infrastructure for Housing and Sustainable Community (the “Projects”) in the City of Bacolod and the Province of Camarines Sur.
- Advised Neo-Connect ICT Solutions, Inc. in connection with the development and the creation of an integrated system platform solution for various services provided by local government units and other government agencies.
- Advised Makati Life Nurture Medical Center, Inc. in implementing the PPP Project for the construction and operation of Makati Life Medical Center, otherwise known as Ospital ng Makati 2, a state-of-the-art level-2 hospital with a 300-bed capacity and multiple specialty centres such as cancer and cardiovascular centres with a project cost of Php9,770m.