The international commerce and trade team at Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International advises top domestic and international companies and trade associations on the gamut of trade issues and is able to leverage support from its large global network in relation to cross-border matters. Advising on both contentious and non-contentious issues, the team is well versed in finding alternative remedies to trade barriers and complex operations, economic sanctions and trade embargos, customs issues, international trade agreements and World Trade Organisation (WTO) matters. Luis Alonso Garcia heads the practice with over 25 years of experience and, as former vice minister of Foreign Trade, is a key practitioner for trade matters in the Peruvian market. Gonzalo Bernal focuses on foreign trade and customs and is noted for both advisory work and litigation, and principal associate Walter Robles Gonzales is also recommended.
International trade (IT&C) in Peru
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
Luis Alonso García
The customs and tax area is very good and we are satisfied with the way in which they handle the delegated cases.’
‘They keep us informed with newsletters about regulatory changes and practical advice on the impact of those changes.’
‘They are very clear about tax and customs regulations and present us with appropriate strategies that have a positive impact on the business.’
Sociedad Nacional de Industrias
Asociación Peruana de Agroindustriales del Azúcar y Derivados – APAAD
Cámara de Comercio de Lima – Sub comité de importadores de alimentos
IBM del Perú
- Permanently advising APAAD regarding current policymaking and trends related to agribusiness.
- Advised the Lima Chamber of Commerce – subcommittee of food importers on a dispute with INDECOPI relating to mandatory health warnings on imported products.
- Advised the National Society of Industries on a dsipute relating to the labelling of genetically modified organisms (GMO) in imported food and beverages.
Led by Julio Guadalupe, the international trade and customs team at Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano Abogados balances a broad practice, covering a range of customs planning and international trade operation matters, with a focus on the mining, oil and gas, power, technology, telecoms and automotive sectors. On the contentious side, it handles customs claims and appeals before the local authorities, including the National Institute for the Defence of Competition and Intellectual Property (INDECOPI) and the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Tourism (MINCETUR). Guadalupe acts for high-profile multinational companies and is deputy chair of the Logistics and Customs Committee at the Lima Chamber of Commerce. At the associate level, strong support is provided by senior Juan Acuña, who is a name to note for customs and indirect tax planning and litigation before the Tax Court, and Joan Tello, who is recommended for administrative procedures.
‘They maintain close contact with the client and have a high sense of urgency. They care about knowing the client as well as their processes and business and this facilitates the analysis and advice.’
‘Quality of service. Efficiency. Timeliness. Close contact with the client. I highlight Julio Guadalupe’s work in foreign trade and customs. Outstanding.’
Compañia Goodyear del Peru
Southern Peru Copper Corporation Sucursal del Peru
Tecnológica De Alimentos – Tasa
Minera Chinalco Peru
Compañía Minera Antamina
Operaciones Arcos Dorados De Peru
Master Foods Peru Sociedad Comercial De Responsabilidad Limitada
Trading Fashion Line
Kuehne + Nagel
Schneider Electric Peru
Bunge North America
Bunge Latin America
Compañia Molinera Del Centro
Tcl International Peru
Anglo American Quellaveco
Southern Textile Network
Kimberly Clark Peru
Latam Airlines Peru
Toyota Del Peru
Consorcio De Productores De Fruta
Pan American Silver
Minera Shouxin Peru
Terminales Portuarios Euroandinos Paita
Luz Del Sur
Papelera Del Sur
Skechers Latina America
Alimentos Polar Peru
Erickson Aviation Perú
APM Terminals Inland Services
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
Huawei Del Perú
TLC International Perú
Cela Cosmeticos Perú
Komatsu-Mitsui Maquinarias Peru
Marathon Casa De Deportes
Sistemas Oracle Del Peru
Sociedad Productora y Distribuidora
Gases Del Norte Del Peru
Cirion Technologies Peru
- Representing Compañia Goodyear Del Per in a judicial proceeding concerning whether royalty payments should be added to the customs value of the imported goods in accordance with WTO customs valuation rules.
- Representing Danper Trujillo in an appeal before the Tax Court and the Peruvian Customs Authority regarding the rejection of the drawback reimbursements obtained by the company in 2015.
- Provided legal advice to Anglo American Quellavec to structure its export operations considering various scenarios to deliver products to its foreign clients.
Hernández & Cía is well known in the market for its knowledge of customs regime structures and customs procedures; it handles both contentious and non-contentious matters and represents large multinational clients in customs and tax litigation before the authorities. Other areas of focus include compliance, tariffs, international trade structures and international trade disputes. Practice head Leonardo Lopez is a veteran practitioner with considerable experience in tax, international trade and customs issues, and more specifically, assists clients with valuations, planning and tariffs matters. Senior associate Miguel Ángel Campos is registered as a customs broker and is a member of the Association of Certified Customs Agents of Peru (AATA); he offers clients niche expertise in maritime and port law, as well as customs planning and compliance. Paloma Velásquez Bolognesi is another key associate.
Leonardo López Espinoza
‘The team manages everything related to foreign trade, is fully trained and up to date with the law and advises us in a timely manner.’
‘I highlight the agility and disposition of Paloma Velásquez.’
‘The knowledge, kindness and willingness they have to manage our account.’
Empresa Editora El Comercio
Dp World Group – Neptunia
Procter & Gamble Perú
- Providing customs advice to Anglo American Quellaveco to optimise its operations.
- Provided legal advice to Tramarsa in a judicial process against the Customs Administration.
- Providing legal advice on international trade and customs valuation rules to Hasbro.
DS Casahierro Abogados
DS Casahierro Abogados acts for foreign and domestic importers, exporters and trade operators in international trade, logistics and customs matters and is particularly active in the agricultural, automotive, construction, energy and pharmaceutical sectors. Key areas of expertise include international sale of goods contracts, the enforcement of Free Trade Agreements (FTAs), customs planning and WTO matters. Charles Castle leads the practice and is recommended for audit processes, administrative and judicial procedures, and international trade contracts, while senior associate Enrique Vargas handles the implementation of FTAs and the application of tax–customs benefits, customs valuation and tariff classification.
Charles Castle; Enrique Vargas
‘In my opinion, the services provided by the International Trade, Logistics and Customs area of DS Casahierro Abogados are first class.’
‘The level of specialisation and experience of its lawyers allows for practical solutions to complex legal issues.’
‘Speed and quality of the responses is good.’
Maersk Line Perú
C.H. Robinson worldwide Perú
Trading Fashion Line
Automotores Gildemeister – Perú
Maquinaria Nacional Perú
APM Terminals Inland Services
Andritz Hydro Group
Bertling – Transgas Tankers
Corporación Aceros Arequipa
Packaging Products del Perú
Transgas Shipping Lines
P&E Soluciones Industriales
Citikold del Perú
Swissgas del Ecuador
ADM Andina Perú
Telefónica Cybersecurity & Cloud Tech Peru
Ceragon Networks Perú
García & Bodan Attorneys & Counselors at Law
React Latin America
A. Montenegro y CIA
Grupo Capital Pacífico
Asociación Colegio Casuarinas
Truckslogic International Holding
Andes Textiles Perú
Fall Creek Perú
Luis García Miró
Yacht Club Peruano
Kalpataru Power Transmission
Industrias Criogénicas del Perú
- Advised Ceragon Networks Perú on an administrative proceeding in which the matter under discussion was tax collection by customs.
- Providing legal sponsorship to QSI Perú in a judicial proceeding, which concluded with a preliminary ruling that the collection alleged by customs is illegal.
- Providing legal sponsorship to Topsa Perú in an administrative proceeding in which the matter under discussion is tax collection by customs.
Garcia-Godos & Lindley-Russo
Boutique trade law firm Garcia-Godos & Lindley-Russo covers all aspects of international trade and border controls, with particular expertise in WTO matters and logistics issues. It acts for large foreign and domestic companies and trade organisations and has recently advised on a number of matters pertaining to the importation of foods and controlled goods, utilising its knowledge of trade facilitation, technical barriers to trade (TBT) and sanitary and phytosanitary measures (SPM). Practice head Eduardo García-Godos is a well-known trade practitioner, with high-level knowledge of the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement; he also assisted many companies and government clients in relation to restrictive measures around trade implemented during the COVID-19 pandemic. Alfredo Lindley-Russo is noted for matters relating to market access barriers and is active in the food and beverage, cosmetics and healthcare sectors.
‘Extensive experience in international trade and customs issues. The team knows international trade in a comprehensive way.’
‘Eduardo García-Godos responds in a timely and effective manner.’
Development Bank of Latin America (CAF)
Nathan Associates Inc
Trade Facilitation Office Canadá
Helvetas Swiss Cooperation (SECO)
Nathan Associates Inc
Frigorífico La Nacional
- Advised the Development Bank of Latin America (CAF) on the identification of international trade facilitation gaps in Latin America.
- Advised Hudson Analytix on the implementation of a $6m project to implement a Port Community System in the Callao Port of Peru.
- Advised the Secretariat of the National Committee for Trade Facilitation (NTFC) on the adoption and implementation of a reform tracker tool designed by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).