Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International is well placed to handle international trade matters by virtue of its global footprint and it has been assisting clients with the economic impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, recently. Aware of the challenges of doing business globally, the firm offers viable alternative remedies to trade barriers and acts for several trade bodies and associations, as well as large multinational corporations and domestic businesses. With industry-focused knowledge in agriculture, food and beverage, aviation, healthcare and technology, the team advises clients on changes in regulatory enforcement, as well as customs issues and disputes, including litigation. Practice head Luis Alonso Garcia was formerly vice minister of Foreign Trade in Peru and is recommended for compliance and contentious matters. Gonzalo Bernal was recently promoted to partner and focuses on foreign trade and customs matters.
International trade (IT&C) in Peru
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
Luis Alonso García
Asociación Peruana de Agroindustriales del Azúcar y Derivados (APAAD)
Cámara de Comercio de Lima (Lima Chamber of Commerce – subcommittee of food importers)
Facebook – Meta
Motorola Solutions Perú
- Permanent advisor to the Peruvian Association of Agro industrial Companies of Sugar and Related Products – APAAD (Perucaña) regarding current policy making and trends related to agribusiness.
- Advising Cámara de Comercio de Lima (Lima Chamber of Commerce – subcommittee of food importers) – CCL on a claim before INDECOPI’s commission for dumping, subsidies and non-tariff trade barriers.
- Advising Asociación Peruana de Operadores Portuarios (ASPPOR) – the Peruvian Association of Port Operators – on a dispute.
Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano – Abogados acts for importers, exporters and a range of other foreign trade operators in the mining, oil and gas, chemical, technology, telecoms and agricultural sectors, among others. Under the leadership of dedicated trade practitioner Julio Guadalupe, the practice continues to advise on customs planning and international trade operations, including contentious matters and the representation of clients before regulatory bodies such as INDECOPI. Guadalupe is deputy chair at the Logistics and Customs Committee at the Lima Chamber of Commerce and has recently been handling a number of customs valuation matters; he previously acted as a consultant on the drafting of the current customs law in Peru. Senior associates Juan Acuña (the a name to note for customs and indirect tax planning, customs valuation and tariff classification), and Joan Tello, who is recommended for administrative procedures (including tax litigation), provide key support.
Compañia Goodyear Del Peru
Grupo Scharff (Fedex’sRepresentative In Peru)
Southern Peru Copper Corporation
Sucursal Del Peru
Grupo Fierro (Quimtia, Farmex)
Tecnológica De Alimentos (Tasa)
Minera Chinalco Peru
Compañía Minera Antamina
Operaciones Arcos Dorados del Perú
Master Foods Peru Sociedad Comercial De Responsabilidad Limitada
Trading Fashion Line
Sucursal Del Peru
Kuehne + Nagel
Schneider Electric Peru
Bunge North America / BungeLatin America / Bunge Perú
Compañia Molinera Del Centro
Nokia Siemens Networks Perú
Tcl International Peru
Anglo American Peru
Spectrum Cannabis Peru
Southern Textile Network
- Providing legal sponsorship to Skechers Latin America/Skechers Peru on an anti-dumping investigation conducted by the Peruvian Competition Authority (INDECOPI) concerning imports of an important range of footwear originating in China.
- Provided legal advice to Kimberly Clark Peru on the interpretation and application of the WTO customs valuation rules in the company’s import operations.
- Provided legal advice to ABB on the importation of large equipment that had been damaged and repaired before arriving in Peru.
Hernández & Cía has ‘an excellent team in the international trade and customs area, with a lot of knowledge, professionalism, and a very good disposition towards the client’. The practice has considerable expertise in customs law and related procedures, including tariff and tax issues, and on the contentious side, administrative and court proceedings. Practice head Leonardo López is registered as a customs broker, designated by the Institute of Tax and Customs Authority (IATA) of the Peruvian Tax Administration (SUNAT) and advises clients on valuations, planning and tariffs matters and compliance issues. Senior associate Miguel Ángel Campos handles customs and foreign trade matters, as well as maritime transport issues. The team has been bolstered by the arrival of associates Paloma Velásquez Bolognesi and Luis Elias Pahuacho Camarena in January 2021 and 2022, respectively.
‘We give credit to the professionalism and knowledge of the firm in international trade cases commanded by Leonardo López‘.
‘Leonardo López is probably to date, one of the most outstanding lawyers in Peru in these trade matters‘.
‘We have had the sponsorship of Estudio Hernández & Cía. through Leonardo López in multiple cases for 20 years, with excellent results‘.
‘We highlight not only the experience, dedication and professional knowledge of Leonardo López, but also his personal treatment and his team of professionals who accompany him‘.
‘Estudio Hernandez has an excellent team in the international trade and customs area, with a lot of knowledge, professionalism, and very good disposition towards the client‘.
‘In the pandemic, a decrease in the level of service has not been felt, since a good service has continued to be received, and the technological tools that they used allowed them to continue interacting and the support in the service received was maintained‘.
‘The team at Estudio Hernandez has demonstrated a high level of professionalism and knowledge in the topics that we have developed, always showing a high level of detail‘.
‘They always deliver a clear and simple vision of the problem and where they should go to achieve the desired objective‘.
Grupo Telefónica – Telefónica Del Perú
Procter & Gamble
Grupo Falabella (Saga, Tottus, Sodimac)
Grupo Sandoval – Dinet / Talma Servicios Aeroportuarios / Lima Cargo City
ZZZ & S (in liquidation)
Dp World Group – Neptunia
Compañía Minera Antamina
- Providing legal counsel to Hasbro on international trade matters and customs valuation rules, including, among other aspects, advice on the regulation applicable to each customs procedure, customs planning as well as the correct application of tariff preferences established in Free Trade Agreements.
- Providing legal counsel to Grupo Trafigura – Trafigura Del Perú / Consorcio Minero (Cormin) / Impala Terminals on international trade matters and customs valuation rules, including, among other aspects, advice on the regulation applicable to each customs procedure, customs planning as well as the correct application of tariff preferences established in Free Trade Agreements.
- Providing legal counsel to Grupo Telefónica –Telefónica Del Perú on international trade matters, Services Agreement of the WTO and customs valuation rules, advice on the regulation applicable to each customs procedure, customs planning as well as the correct application of tariff preferences established in Free Trade Agreements
DS Casahierro Abogados
Clients duly recognise DS Casahierro Abogados‘ ‘extensive knowledge of customs issues‘ that complements its rounded international trade and logistics offering. Department head Charles Castle has ‘a good attitude to be available’ while handling contracts-related issues, insurance claims and the implementation of Free Trade Agreements, along with associated disputes. Senior associate Enrique Vargas is another key contact; he provides support on import licensing, tax collection claims (/counterclaims) and following audit due process. Recent work has seen the team active in the maritime, textiles, automotive and telecommunications sectors.
‘Good knowledge of customs and foreign trade matters.’
‘Appropriate practical knowledge of customs matters and foreign trade, a subject in which day-to-day requires good immediate solutions.’
‘Casahierro’s attention is always very close; their advisory role helps a lot to make correct decisions. They report on a recurring basis about any national legislative change that could affect any aspect of our business, which is of great value.’
‘Closeness, willingness to resolve and seek agreements, protection of its client against externalities that could negatively affect it… all are 100% aligned with the interests of one as a client.’
‘The important thing about the firm is its extensive knowledge of customs issues and willingness to serve customers as soon as possible.’
‘In customs matters, the partner is Charles Castle, with extensive knowledge and a good attitude to be available.’
Maersk Line Perú
Hamburg Sud Perú
C.H. Robinson worldwide Perú
Trading Fashion Line
Automotores Gildemeister – Perú
Maquinaria Nacional Perú (Gildemeister Group)
Motor Mundo (Gildemeister Group)
APM Terminals Inland Services
Andritz Hydro Group
Bertling – Transgas Tankers
Corporación Aceros Arequipa
Droguerías Unidas del Perú
Packaging Products del Perú
Transgas Shipping Lines
P&E Soluciones Industriales
Citikold del Perú
Swissgas del Ecuador
E Ink Corporation
ADM Andina Perú
SLI Aduanas (Cargo Business Group).
Co-Ol Construcciones Modulares
Galenicum Health Perú
Telefónica Cybersecurity & Cloud Tech Peru (Telefónica Group)
Concretos Supermix S.A. (Grupo Gloria)
Racionalización Empresarial (Grupo Gloria)
Mareauto Peru (Avis Rent a Car)
Ceragon Networks Perú
García & Bodan
React Latin America
PC Moda (Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and Pierre Cardin)
A. Montenegro y Cía
Landmark Holdings (Hilton Garden Inn)
Truckslogic International Holding
- Advised Multimpex on a multimillion-dollar administrative proceeding concerning the proper application of benefits related to the temporary import of ships and boats, which concluded that the tax collection required by Customs Authorities was illegal.
- Advised Maquinaria Nacional Perú on an administrative proceeding about its request of a refund of duties and taxes paid in excess in several importations.
- Providing legal sponsorship on a relevant and sensitive judicial proceeding involving Maersk Line Perú and concerning an illegal seizure of goods, which were not exported within the term granted by Customs.
Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados has significant depth in its international trade offering, with various team members benefitting from experience in the Peruvian Customs Office, Tax Court of Peru and various international logistics entities. Practice head Eduardo Gonzalez, who previously acted as consultant to the Ministry of Foreign Trade, oversees matters ranging from advice on port and airport services, tax-customs treatment and audit procedures to international transactions, foreign trade planning, and preventive and corrective audits.