Labour law specialist Marysol Estigarribia heads Ferrere's labour and employment practice in Paraguay; she leads on complex labour matters, including highly sensitive criminal issues and mass employee suspensions in the wake of the pandemic. An international client base is a hallmark of the wider firm and it is no different in this practice area, with Avianca, Cargill and Ball Corporation among those to instruct the team recently. The department also acts for notable domestic companies, with Credicentro seeking the team's assistance in due diligence and other labour aspects of its merger with LCR and Pasfin. Senior associate Antonella Llamas supports the practice head across the full range of labour matters and also assists clients in administrative proceedings with regulatory authorities.
Labour and employment in Paraguay
‘We have been working with the Ferrere team for several years. Among the strengths I highlight the professionalism, speed in the responses, and the focus on understanding the specific points of each query to give the best answer.’
‘I would highlight the professionalism and open and transparent dialogue.‘
Leoni Wiring Systems
Mosaic Fertilizantes Paraguay
- Advised Credicentro on the labour issues related to the merger with LCR and Pasfin.
- Advised Vale on the implementation of a home office policy.
- Assisted Leoni with the suspension of almost 1,000 employees as a result of the effects of the pandemic; this was the first suspension of employment contracts due to the effects of Covid-19.
Labour and employment boutique Irún & Villamayor has over 20 years of experience in advising domestic and international clients. In Paraguay, major companies in key industries such as shipping, agriculture and construction instruct the team on the full range of services in this practice area. Joaquín Irún Grau and Félix Villamayor are the contacts to note; they lead the team, which has particular expertise in preventative measures, litigation and recent labour legislation.
'Well recognised in the market', Vouga Abogados stands out in labour and employment for its 'mastery of the subject'. The team assists in complex litigation, in addition to advising corporate clients on day-to-day labour issues. Major staff restructurings featured prominently in the market in 2020 as a result of the pandemic lockdown; Petrobras were among the clients looking to Perla Alderete and her team, who assisted with preparing back-to-work mandatory protocols, suspension of labour contracts and other procedures before the Ministry of Labour. Other areas of expertise include risk assessments, contract renegotiations and the implementation of teleworking. Alderete has over 20 years of experience in the area and leads all of the firm's labour and employment work. Dispute resolution partner Mirtha dos Santos is the name to note for contentious matters, and Walter Vera is the main contact at the associate level.
‘Perla Alderete stood out this year for her ability to analyse the current legislative framework to apply it in the Covid context, always keeping in mind the operational needs of companies and providing excellent advice on telework documentation. For our operation it was essential to have their analysis and recommendations since the context meant drastic and constant regulatory changes during the 2020 period and to date.‘
‘The Vouga Abogados team is well recognised in the market and they are very well positioned. They have an important portfolio of clients. We work very well with them.‘
‘They always stand out for their solidity and mastery of the subject.‘
‘Perla Alderete: Her speed of response and her technical depth, in addition to being available 24×7.‘
‘Depth in analysis, knowledge of labor matters.‘
‘Perla Alderete knows labour law very well, she has a lot of experience.‘
‘The Vouga Abogados team has the ability to address the client with a practical business language, fully internalising the client’s operations. Its differential is that the professionals are able to offer solutions or immediate opinions as a preview and then go deeper into details. The difference lies in the knowledge of the client’s needs and the speed of resolution.‘
Paraguay Energy Operaciones y Logistica
Paraguay Energy Gas
Unión Industrial Paraguaya (UIP)
American Tower Corporation
Consorcio Expo Asociación Rural Del Paraguay
Unión Industrial Paraguaya
Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf – KF
GLT Casa de Bolsa
Colgate Palmolive De Paraguay
British American Tobacco
- Assisted Paracel with the drafting and standardisation of employee contracts covering professional workers, administrative workers and field workers.
- Assisted Petrobras in preparing back-to-work mandatory protocols, suspension of labour contracts and other mandatory procedures before the Ministry of Labour.
- Advised UIP, through its Institute for Technical Training, on the formalisation of agreements with companies in the industrial sector for the implementation of technical internship programmes for their students.
María del Pilar Callizo leads Estudio Jurídico Gross Brown's labour and employment offering, which assists with a variety of legal issues arising from labour relations and counts both companies and employees among its clients. A key focus for the team is on the implementation and enforcement of international and regional rules, but it also specialises in employment wage policies, collective bargaining, and ethics and transparency policies for companies. Callizo also stands out for her niche expertise in maternity issues. At the associate level, key support is provided by Miguel Diaz.
María del Pilar Callizo
Moreno Ruffinelli & Asociados
Moreno Ruffinelli & Asociados supports its clients on a wide range of labour and employment matters, including complex and sensitive employee terminations, collective bargaining in strongly unionised sectors, and representation before Paraguay's labour authorities. Notable domestic clients include the Agencia Financiera de Desarrollo (AFD) and Manpower Paraguay, with practice head José Moreno Ruffineli leading advice to both in 2020. Rocío Penayo is the firm's main labour law expert and a go-to contact for the team's domestic clients. Associate Maria Ines Segura supports across the range of matters.
José Moreno Ruffinelli
‘The team has professionals with solid and up-to-date knowledge in relation to the scope of their advice, in this time where changes arose every moment they always knew how to respond favourably to the doubts that arose. From my perspective and experience with other firms, the service stands out favourably.‘
‘The trajectory of the office is always a plus in any type of case, because in itself this provides security to its clients.‘
Frigomerc and Beef Paraguay
Agencia Financiera de Desarrollo (AFD)
Philips del Paraguay
Rio Hotel by Bourbon Ciudad del Este
Caja de Jubilaciones y Pensiones de Itaipú Binacional
- Advised Manpower on a contract for the provision of personnel for Huawei, and in the negotiation process of an employee with special needs.
- Advised the AFD on its programme of compensation tied to academic degrees.
- Advised Grupo Texcin on the total suspension of work contracts and their renewal, due to the Covid-19 crisis.
Olmedo Abogados offers broad labour and employment law services, covering advisory matters in addition to contentious issues and labour litigation, complementing the firm's leading dispute resolution practice. Ana Valiente has extensive experience in both labour litigation and advisory matters, handling stability issues, dismissals, and labour union, wage and hour claims. She co-leads alongside Susana Ramos, who is also noted for her labour litigation advice, and Maria Ines Galeano, who assists several local and international companies on daily employee relations.
Ana Valiente; Susana Ramos; Maria Ines Galeano
‘The team of professionals in the work area of Olmedo Abogados is of high level, so the advice they provide is of quality, allowing us to make informed decisions in the different cases we deal with.‘
‘Olmedo Abogados’ labour lawyers are highly trained and have vast experience in the field, which allows them to provide advice that meets our expectations.‘
‘Excellent personalised attention and quick action in cases.‘
El Sol del Paraguay y Cía de Seguros y Reaseguros
Nidera Paraguay Granos y Oleaginosas
Caja de Jubilados Bancarios
- Assisted Binary Paraguay with a number of labour issues, including benefits provided to employees, as well as regular updates on the government’s Covid-19 regulations.
- Advised ATL Logistica on the drafting and negotiation of labour contracts of its workforce, including designing a complex employee rotation system.
- Acted for Amtrust in the dismissal of its general manager and negotiation of the compensation package.
Peroni Sosa Tellechea Burt & Narvaja's two-strong employment department sees Ernesto Fiore, a labour law expert with 20 years of experience, working alongside key senior associate Alejandro Arrúa. The practice's client list is dominated by domestic companies and also includes multinationals with operations in Paraguay; its sector strengths are diverse, with key names in retail, shipping and manufacturing. Recent work has been dominated by instructions arising out of the pandemic lockdown, including mass employment suspensions, as well as litigation resulting from loss of employment. Former practice head Pelucia Gimenez left to join the Labour Court of Lambaré in February 2020.
Fortaleza de Inmuebles
Kromberg & Schubert Paraguay
Comité Internacional de la Cruz Roja
Transportes Aéreos del Mercosur
Estudio de Ingenieria y Transporte
Imperial Shipping Paraguay
- Acted for Bona Vista in negotiations with 59 employees for their suspension.
- Advised Kromberg & Schubert Paraguay on negotiations with 181 employees over their suspension due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Assisted Tam Mercosur/Latam Paraguay with a request to the Ministry of Labor to grant the temporary suspension of employees, due to the closure of the borders.
BKM | Berkemeyer's labour and employment department is now solely headed by senior associate Hugo Aponte following the departure of Verónica Recalde in March 2021. Complementing the other areas of this full-service firm, the practice focuses on advising clients on the release of stable workers; drafting and coordinating employment contracts and company regulations; assisting with HR policies; and coordinating international and temporary employment for multinationals.
‘The ability to speak to us in simplicity and clarity. This is particularly helpful in order to fully understand the advice from the legal team.‘
‘Openness and flexibility, fully available at all times and a solid knowledge of local regulations in all areas.‘
‘Solid professionals characterise BKM in Asunción.‘
‘Availability and attention.‘
‘Very agile professionals. They handle labour law very well.‘
Highway 2 and 7 Consortium
Bieber & CIA
Taller Industrial del Este
- Represented Electrocenter in four labour lawsuits initiated in the Labour Court of Asunción.
- Acted for First Parag Company in a labour dispute initiated and filed before the Labour Court of Coronel Oviedo.
- Acting for Sumidenso Paraguay in 13 labour lawsuits initiated in the Labour Court of Capiatá.