TMT in Pakistan
Ali & Associates
Ali & Associates is a boutique IP law firm that frequently advises on a wide array of matters from trademark, copyright, patent and industrial design issues through to franchising, enforcement and anti-counterfeiting matters. It is also skilled at conducting due diligence exercises on IP matters as part of large deals. It has four partners all of whom have significant experience in telecoms and information technology as well as other areas such as cyber law, pharmaceuticals and biotech. It represents a wide range of corporate clients in addition to advising the government and other governmental agencies and ministries on various international treaty issues and on recommendations to amend IP legislation. Syed Auqil and Kairmullah Adeni are among the key members of the team.
Societe des Products Nestle SA
Procter & Gamble
Baxter International Inc.
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Lloyds Register EMEA
H-D USA LLC (Harley Davidson)
Television Food Network
British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
J&B Medical Group
Gul Ahmed Textile Mills Ltd
Master Group of Companies
Ismail Industries Ltd
Jaffer Brothers Pvt Ltd
Forward Sports Pvt Ltd
Getz Pharma Pvt Ltd
Khaadi SMC Pvt Ltd
Bykea Technologies Private Limited
Hallmark Cards, Incorporated
Brands for Less LLC
Car- Freshner Corporation
LT Foods Overseas Ltd
Lifestyle Equities CV (Polo Club Beverly Hills)
Ostindo International Pvt Ltd
Oriental Food Industries SDN Bhd
Starbuzz Tobacco, Inc.
Tan Nhat Huong Co Ltd
Tommy Hilfiger Licensing LLC
Indus Motor Company Ltd
Coslab Pvt Ltd
Forest Stewardship Council, AC
Bioexcyte Pharm Pvt.Ltd
Askari Bank Ltd
ABC Hygiene Industries
Silk Route Beauty Products
Millac Foods Pvt Ltd
Pt Megasurya Mas
Bharucha & Co.
Bharucha & Co. is an old and established IP boutique firm that excels in all aspects of patents, trademarks, designs, copyright and domain names. Under the leadership of Mohammad Fazil Bharucha and Abdul Aziz the team is also well-regarded for its work on licensing, franchising and IP litigation. Clients range from large domestic companies to international corporations predominantly from the US, Europe and Asia as well as from the Middle East and Far East Asia. It also has a handful of clients that are Fortune 500 companies. Bharucha is an advocate of the High Court and Aziz has particular experience of dealing with complicated patent law matters.
Under the leadership of Rabel Akhund and Sahar Iqbal at Akhund Forbes it is best known for its ability to advise on a variety of high-value and complex TMT matters. Increasingly it has been acting for a number of its telecoms clients on the acquisition of telecom towers across the country. The practice has also been busy advising on the regulatory framework for the provision of telecom services in Pakistan.
Edotco Group SDN Berhad
NBP Fund Management Limited
Baker & McKenzie LLP
MCB Arif Habib Investments and Savings Limited
Edotco Pakistan (Private) Limited
Edotco Towers (Private) Limited
Allied Advertising LLC
Cheez Group, Shanghai
Cheezmall (Private) Limited
Saudi Research Publishing Company
Media Arabia Limited
Vox Asia Productions (SMC Private Limited)
UBL Fund Managers Limited
Central Depository of Pakistan Limited
Association of Builders and Developers
Nawan Laboratories (Pvt) Ltd.
- Advising Facebook on the regulatory landscape for the provision of telecommunications and IT services in Pakistan.
- Drafting and advising the client on the entire suite of documents for the client`s business comprising the product called “My Book” which is a Qatari marketing platform and a Buy1 Get1 Free incentive provider in the ME&A.
- Advised the client which is one of the largest asset management companies in Pakistan on a wide variety of matters to enable the client to provide quicker and more efficient financial services to its customers and contribute to the dynamic capital markets of Pakistan.
Axis Law Chambers
Axis Law Chambers acts for a broad range of national and international clients on a diverse array of issues related to technology and telco such as fintech, payments systems, digital wallets and electronic money. Other strengths lie in advising on infrastructure sharing arrangements, PTA regulations and data protection and the team has been involved in some of the most major reorganisations in the telecommunications industry recently. It has also acted for ride hailing apps, venture capital funds, technology startups as well as major international players looking to expand their offerings into the local market. Sameer Khosa and Mian Tariq Hassan are recommended for their work in this area.
‘The team at Axis Law Chambers is exceptionally qualified and well rounded, consistently delivering high quality legal services in an efficient manner. The professional standards upheld and attention to detail by the entire team at every stage of the process makes it stand out from other firms in the industry‘.
‘The partners and associates at Axis Law Chambers bring together diverse practices and experiences under the one roof which results in timely and well thought-through legal advice and services being delivered to our business. In particular, we have worked extensively with Mr Sameer Khosa who is quick to provide excellent support and insight with a keen approach towards problem solving‘.
‘The team at Axis Law Chambers consists of energetic young professionals, upholding exceedingly high professional standards while maintaining efficiency and attention to detail. The quality of legal services provided and dependable client handling make this firm stand out from others in the market‘.
‘Members of the team are always available to provide support in a swift and timely fashion. Our experience with Axis is comparable to that provided by reputable international law firms‘.
‘The partners at Axis Law Chambers bring together a diverse range of professional experience under the one roof. Mian Tariq Hassan was invaluable with respect to conceptualising, structuring and executing a complex new international venture, involving multiple parties, that is being initiated by our business. He provided clarity and direction at every stage of the process. His involvement streamlined and aided the process for all parties involved‘.
‘At the associate level, Zainab Shahid was a very diligent, detailed and a keenly involved member of the team who provided constant support and coordination’.
Engro Enfrashare (Pvt.) Limited
Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited
ABM Infotech (Private) Limited
TSL (Pvt.) Limited
- Advised its client on the acquisition of various passive infrastructure undertaking assignments -work included drafting the infrastructure sharing agreements and assisting on numerous licensing regulations.
- Advised a foreign law firm on potential issues that could arise as a result of an arbitration award having been digitally signed with no ink signatures – and the acceptability of digital signatures under Pakistani law.
- Represented the telco. in a challenge to the provisions of the Cantonment Act 1924.
With Khozem Haidermota at the helm at Haidermota & Co Advocates the team is known for its skill at advising financial institutions on a vast array of TMT matters. It has particular expertise in payment technology contracts. The practice is adept at advising on the legal issues surrounding the procurement of hardware and software licensing in addition to source-code escrow agreements. The group also garners praise for its advice on various regulatory matters surrounding block-chain powered services, cloud computing, data analytics as well as overseas data-storage/processing.
Jazz Cash Carve Out
Lakson Business Solutions
PkNet (Private) Limited
TCS (Private) Limited
TPL Corp Limited
- Acting as local legal counsel in respect of a potential sale of shares of Quixel Pakistan (Private) Limited (owned by Quixel AB) to Epic Games.
- Advised the client on the establishment of a fintech company (NayaPay) – it is proposed that it will be licensed by the SBP as a payment system operator and payment service provider.
- Advised the TCS group on various contractual issues relating to an e-commerce platform for fashion, Studio by TCS.
Liaquat Merchant Associates regularly advises various companies on issues such as the acquisition of software applications and software license agreements as well as outsourcing agreements and software and hardware maintenance contracts. In addition the team frequently advises on service level contracts and escrow agreements. In the past the group has advised various banks on software applications with leading IT companies. Head of department Faresa Jafarey Ahsan has provided extensive advice on software contracts and on electronic payment systems.
‘The team provides professional advice that is in the best interest of the client. It has good business acumen and the team is professional, motivated, and trustworthy‘.
Allied Bank Limited
Covalent (Private) Limited
Faysal Bank Limited
Soneri Bank Limited
- Recently advised a foreign law firm in respect of one of its clients that was intending to implement and adopt a HR information system for all of its global operations – the team advised on data protection, storage and transmission laws in Pakistan.
- Routinely advises various clients in respect of their intellectual property matters and is currently advising Bank AL Habib Limited in relation to a trademark application for one of its products.
- Drafting, reviewing and advising on various contracts for technological services that are provided by Covalent Private Limited, including contracts related to the purchase of licenses and the development, customisation, implementation and hosting of digital platforms by Covalent Private Limited.