TMT in Pakistan
Bharucha & Co.
Bharucha & Co. is one of the oldest IP boutique firms in Pakistan. It excels in all aspects of IP law, from patents, trade marks and designs through to copyright and domain name registrations. Other areas of expertise include advising on licensing, franchising and contentious IP matters. It routinely acts for large domestic and international corporations, predominantly from the US, Europe and Asia, and has advised a handful of Fortune 500 companies. Mohammad Fazil Bharucha and Abdul Aziz lead the practice.
Ali & Associates
Boutique IP law firm Ali & Associates advises on the full array of matters from trade mark and copyright issues to anti-counterfeiting matters, litigation and enforcement. The team consists of four partners and approximately 40 other attorneys and IP professionals. It advises a wide range of major corporates and also routinely advises the government, governmental agencies and ministries on various international treaty compliance issues and on recommendations to amend IP legislation. Senior partner Syed Auqil and managing partner Kairmullah Adeni are among the names to note.
Societe Des Products Nestle S.A.
Procter & Gamble
Baxter International Inc.
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Lloyds Register EMEA
H-D USA LLC (Harley Davidson)
Television Food Network
British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
J&B Medical Group
Gul Ahmed Textile Mills Ltd.
Master Group Of Companies
Ismail Industries Ltd.
Jaffer Brothers Pvt. Ltd.
Forward Sports Pvt. Ltd
Getz Pharma Pvt. Ltd
Bikea Technologies Private Limited
Hallmark Cards, Incorporated
Brands For Less
LT Foods Overseas Ltd
Lifestyle Equities (Polo Club Beverly Hills)
Ostindo International Pvt. Ltd.
Oriental Food Industries
Starbuzz Tobacco, Inc.
Tan Nhat Huong Co. Ltd
Tommy Hilfiger Licensing
- Advised Getz Pharma International on a multimillion-dollar purchase of IP assets and affiliated licensing arrangements as part of a cross-border, tripartite deal.
- Advised Sony Pictures Entertainment on the execution of a representation agreement with a local representative to acquire landing rights from the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority.
- Advised on brand protection strategies for Societe des Products Nestle, Procter & Gamble and Honda Motors.
- Assisted Telenor/Telenor Microfinance Bank with its trade mark protection strategy and advised it on various internal group trade mark licensing matters.
- Represented Dairyland when a petition was filed at the Supreme Court which claimed that all packaged milk brands contained harmful and poisonous chemicals.
Akhund Forbes has been advising on various high-value and complex TMT matters of late. The team has been particularly active recently in the telecoms sector, advising several clients on the acquisition of telecoms towers throughout the country and on the regulatory landscape for telecoms services. Rabel Akhund is a primary contact and Sahar Iqbal has been increasingly busy advising on TMT issues.
Other key lawyers:
Edotco Group SDN Berhad
NBP Fund Management Limited
MCB Arif Habib Investments and Savings Limited
China Power Hub Generation Company (Pvt.) Limited
Allied Advertising LLC
- Advising Facebook on the regulatory landscape for the provision of telecoms and IT services in Pakistan.
- Advising NBP Fund Management on various services that it receives in the form of subsidised telecoms services and expanded network operations.
- Advised MCB-Arif Habib Investments and Savings on its Kuickpay services agreement, which allows the client to provide online services to its customer base.
- Advising China Power Hub Generation Company on various aspects of the technical support services it receives.
- Assisted NBP Fund Management with the creation of a full range of virtual and branchless investment services.
Axis Law Chambers
Axis Law Chambers acts for a broad range of local and international clients, with particular expertise in information technology, telecoms and the travel sector. The highly regarded Sameer Khosa has advised on various operator agreements for global distribution systems and on infrastructure sharing agreements in the telecoms sector. Other areas of expertise lie in the emerging financial technology products sector. Mian Tariq Hassan routinely represents entities in the IT, fintech, engineering and manufacturing, and telecoms sectors.
Enfrashare (Pvt.) Limited
- Drafted an infrastructure sharing agreement for Enfrashare to provide for the licensing of the existing telecoms towers and passive infrastructure across Pakistan, as well as issues relating to the construction of several new towers.
FGE Ebrahim Hosain
FGE Ebrahim Hosain regularly advises banks and companies on their acquisition of software applications, as well as on software licence agreements, IT outsourcing agreements, and software and hardware maintenance contracts. The firm has advised some of Pakistan’s leading information technology companies on source code protection and on local regulatory requirements. The experienced team has also been engaged by a number of prominent news and media outlets to advise on various matters, including landing rights in Pakistan and trade mark disputes, and by several prominent local actors and musicians. Zaki Rahman and Shabnam Noorali are well regarded.
Cheetay Pakistan (Private) Limited
OLX Pakistan (Private) Limited
Novo Nordisk Pakistan
Tourism Promotion Services
Kuwait Real Estate Company Limited
Tourism Promotion Services Pakistan
Associated Biscuits International Limited
Arabtec Pvt Limited
Tourism Promotion Service
Novo Nordisk Pakistan
Port Qasim Authority
- Advising OLX on various issues related to online merchandise laws and privacy laws.
- Advising AugmentCare on various issues related to technology laws and on the drafting of an online licensing agreement.
- Advising delivery app Cheetay on its shareholders’ agreement and software licensing agreement.
- Advised Novo Nordisk Pakistan on an automation contract, an app development and source code documentation.
- Advised Tourism Promotion Services on local and international data protection laws.
Haidermota & Co Advocates
Haidermota & Co Advocates routinely advises financial institutions on their payment technology contracts. Other areas of expertise include advising on the issues surrounding the procurement of hardware, software licensing agreements, source code escrow agreements, and customisation and support services. The skilled team also advises a wide range of local and foreign entities on the local regulatory framework surrounding blockchain-powered services, cloud computing and data analytics. Senior partner Khozem Haidermota heads the team.
Telenor Pakistan (Private) Limited
Telenor Microfinance Bank Limited
Cyber Internet Services (Private) Limited
Pakistan Mobile Communications Limited
Multinet Pakistan (Private) Limited
Edotco Pakistan (Private) Limited
Careem Networks Pakistan (Private) Limited
1LINK (Guarantee) Limited
- Acted as local legal counsel to various banks on an equity investment and strategic partnership which will expand mobile payment services.
- Advised a financial services company in relation to the establishment of a network which uses distributed ledger technology and blockchain in order to facilitate international remittances.
- Advised a company on the use of its payment instruments, including conducting a review of some of its online business models.
- Advising a company on its proposed business model using cryptocurrencies as a vehicle for money remittance services.
- Acting as local counsel to a company in respect of a joint venture to start the first subscription video-on-demand streaming service in Pakistan.