With offices in Karachi and Islamabad, Orr, Dignam & Co. caters to local and international clients on a variety of property transactions. Real estate investment trusts are an area of expertise for the firm and the team is well-equipped to assist clients with preparing the relevant contractual and legal documents. The practice is co-led by Zahir Riaz, who is based in Islamabad and brings over 40 years of litigation experience to the practice. In addition, Aliya Yusuf and Asim Nas operate from the Karachi office with Shahid Raza and Umar Shahid rounding off the leadership team.
Real estate and construction in Pakistan
Zahir Riaz; Aliya Yusuf; Asim Nasim; Shahid Raza; Umar Shahid
Uber Technologies Inc.
Askari Welfare Trust
BBC Pakistan (Private) Limited
S&P Global Pakistan (Private) Limited
Inter State Gas Systems (Private) Limited
Pakistan International Airlines
Pak Gulf Construction Limited
Pakistan State Oil
Barrick Gold Corporation
Lidl & Kaufland Services Pte. Limited
Sanofi Aventis Pakistan Limited
Rousch (Pakistan) Power Limited
IJM Investments J.A Limited
- Assisting Barrick Gold Corporation with all land matters with respect to the reconstituted Reko Diq project, the largest foreign direct investment in the Balochistan province.
- Advising Inter State Gas Systems (Private) Limited, the state-nominated entity, on the acquisition of land in Pakistan on which the gas pipeline would be laid in relation to the US$10bn Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India gas pipeline project.
- Advising Tripack Films Limited on property issues relating to a prime commercial property.
Qureshi Law Associates
Qureshi Law Associates is well-known for its specialism in intricate and complex infrastructure projects, offering in-depth knowledge and expertise in land law, leases, and the transfer of business properties. The team has played an instrumental role in the Iran-Pakistan Gas Pipeline project, reviewing tender documents and ensuring regulatory compliance. The team is co-led by Zia Junejo and Adnan Qureshi.
Zia Junejo; Adnan Qureshi
Skilled at handling projects involving large infrastructure, ABS & Co. is well-positioned to advise clients on the full life cycle of projects in the real and estate and construction space. Catering to both private and public entities in the real estate area, the firm has a specialised construction division in Lahore. Recently, the firm has been involved in preventing urban sprawl in cities through the development of a number of high-rise buildings in Lahore. The practice is led by Salman Hanif Rajput alongside Bakhtawar Bilal Soofi, who advises on a number of urban development projects. Zeerak Elahi is also a key member of the department.
Salman Hanif; Bakhtawar Bilal Soofi
Other key lawyers:
Power Construction Corporation of China
Punjab Central Business District Development Authority
Habib Construction Services Ltd.
Newpeak Construction Services Pvt. Ltd.
Hunts & Coombs Solicitors
Mughals Pakistan Pvt. Ltd.
Maqbool Calsons JV
Mahir Builders & Developers
- Represented Mughals Pakistan Private Limited in obtaining an award of Rs1.9bn for idling and prolongation costs arising from the construction of the Serena Hotel Project.
- Advised Guarantee Engineers, Ch. Abdul Latif & Sons, Maqbool-Calsons JV, Matracon, and ZKB-Reliable JV on the preparation of claims arising from the construction of several significant projects.
- Represented Kingcrete Builders in an arbitral dispute arising from the termination of the PKR12bn contract for the construction of the Federal Government Employee’s Housing Foundation Towers in Islamabad.
Faiz, Sharif and Shinwari LLP
With expertise in road infrastructure projects and the power and energy sector, Faiz, Sharif and Shinwari LLP is at the forefront of real estate transactions and construction related matters in the public sector. Heading the team is Islamabad-based practitioner, Riswan Faiz Muhammad, an expert in international arbitration alongside Afzal Khan Shinwari.
Rizwan Faiz Muhammad; Afzal Khan Shinwari
Pakistan Accumulators (Pvt.) Ltd
Al-Tariq Construction Ltd.
Pakhtunkhwa Highway Authority
National Highway Authority
Heavy Mechanical Complex through their subcontractors, Al-Tariq Construction Ltd.
Jamshoro Power Company Ltd
Central Power Generation Company Ltd
Northern Power Generation Company Ltd
GENCO Holding Company Ltd
Elite Estates (Pvt.) Ltd
Pakistan International Airlines
National Transmission and Dispatch Company
Army Welfare Trust Investments
- Advised Pakistan Accumulators (Pvt.) Ltd on the liquidation of its assets worth Rs660m, as well as negotiation and representation before the development board and the company’s regulatory body.
- Advised National Highway Authority on the Sialkot-Kharian motorway concession agreement, including taking an advisory role during the post-bid evaluation, drafting, and vetting of the agreement.
- Represented Elite Estates, a subsidiary company of the Ora Group of Companies, before the National Highway Authority with regards to their application to gain access through the motorway link road to their luxury real estate project, The Eighteen.
Nawaz Hussain Sikander's caseload includes a mix of property-related transactions and disputes, and recently advised on a steady flow of major housing projects. It counts developers, corporate end-users, REITs, private equity and pension funds, and institutional lenders as its key clients. Practice head, Imran Nawaz Memon is recommended for property related transactions and disputes and leads the team alongside Shamail Sikander, who handles land purchases, leasing, financing and tax maters. Meanwhile, Mehrunnissa Katpar specialises in REITs and and project financing.
Imran Nawaz Memon; Shamail Sikander
Other key lawyers:
‘The partners of this firm have diverse and extensive experience, and this is the reason they have made a prominent presence in the entire legal industry in such a short span of time. They are always focused on achieving the best outcome for their clients.’
‘Shamail Sikander’s strategic approach and attention to detail in every aspect of the matter differentiate him from other lawyers.’
‘The practice is unique in a way that it provides personal attention to every matter and client which makes clients feel valued.’
‘The quality that I value the most in them is that they address all my concerns and ensure that I am well informed about every legal implication that might arise in my case.’
‘Shamail Sikander possesses extensive and diverse experience in providing legal services related to real estate and construction. What sets him apart from others is his ability to resolve complex legal matters.’
‘The entire team at Nawaz Hussain Sikander is highly professional and hardworking. They have a strong grasp of the law, excellent commercial knowledge and a deep understanding of the real estate and construction market.’
‘Shamail Sikander is an excellent lawyer particularly for handling legal matters related to real estate and construction projects.’
‘Well known for its legal expertise in real estate and construction due to its strong commercial knowledge of this industry.’
Indus Estate (Private) Limited
Arif Habib Dolmen REIT Management Limited
Paragon Constructors (Private) Limited
Creek Marina (Private) Limited
ACM Properties (Private) Limited
Ghani Builders and Developers (Private) Limited
Arif Habib Real Estate Services (Private) Limited
Sheikhani Builders and Developers
Burj Builders and Developers
Faysal Asset Management Limited
Alfalah GHP Investment Management Limited
- Representing a set of high-profile investors for the establishment of an industrial zone on the proposed piece of land by entering into a Joint Venture Agreement with the seller.
- Advised on the development of a residential and commercial housing society in Karachi, Pakistan.