Real estate and construction in Pakistan
FGE Ebrahim Hosain
FGE Ebrahim Hosain has a diverse and busy practice that frequently advises clients on real estate, construction and development matters. It is well-versed in all aspects of property acquisitions and rental issues as well as having considerable experience in assisting clients with mortgage deeds and license agreements. It is adept too at handling registrations before the different land registries. Senior partner Tufail Ebrahim specialises in real estate and conveyancing as well as construction disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Orr, Dignam & Co. acts for property developers, hotel owners and infrastructure providers on a regular basis. The team is well-placed to advise on construction and infrastructure projects under FIDIC contracts and has in the past advised some domestic and foreign clients on various onshore and offshore projects. Aliya Yusuf is one of the main contacts.
- Advising ARY Group on a project involving residential houses / apartments, shopping malls, retail spaces and various amenities and open spaces for which the ARY Group formed an unincorporated joint venture with the Pakistan Defence Officers Housing Authority.
- Advising ENI on several lease transactions relating to office, residential and other commercial leases entered into by ENI in connection with its operations in Pakistan.
Qureshi Law Associates advises its regional and international clients on all aspects of construction projects from inception to completion. It handles a wide range of matters and works regularly with some major international law firms. Adnan Aslam Qureshi and Zia Junejo co-head the department that also has a substantial case load of property related matters. In addition it is known for its ability to handle various types of claims under many types of contracts such as FIDIC, BOT/BOO and EPC.
British Petroleum (Pakistan)
ILF Consulting (Germany)
Bank of Punjab
National Bank of Pakistan
Individual Persons (Litigation list below)
M/s IPS Solar Park-IPS 22 (Pvt) Ltd
M/s IPS Solar Park- JA 23 (Pvt) Ltd
M/s IPS Solar Park- SB 24 (Pvt) Ltd
Solution de Energy (Pvt) Ltd
- Advised various individuals on numerous construction and on property related disputes.
- Conducted legal due diligence and advised ILF Consulting (Germany) on various property and construction matters.
- Advising Gulistan Group on its legal agreements with DHA and MAF-Carrefour for the construction of a Carrefour supermarket.
Ahmed & Qazi
Other key lawyers:
Raja Mohammed Akram Co.
Under the leadership of Salman Akram Raja and Nadeem Hashmi at Raja Mohammed Akram Co., the team has considerable experience of handling all aspects of property matters from contract negotiation to dispute resolution. It has advised state and private entities on many projects. Aneesa Agha is another name to note who has been involved in several lease transactions for clients in the retail and commercial sectors and has advised on transactions involving agricultural land. In addition, the department has successfully represented clients before various national regulatory bodies as well as the High Court and the Supreme Court.
Other key lawyers:
MOL Oil and Gas Co. B.V
Sardar Ahmad Hayat, Agha Faisal Fayyaz and others
Nishat Hotels and Properties Limited
Masood Fabrics Limited
SHEHRI – Citizens for Better Environment
M/s Ferozpur City
Habib Metro Pakistan (Pvt.) Limited
- Advising various high-net-worth individuals on the lease of agricultural land measuring approximately 1448 Kanals that is situated in Chak No.2/14-L village Kassowal, Tehsil and District Sahiwal.
- Advising Nishat Hotel and Properties on a challenge to the legality of amendments that were made in the Punjab Revenue Authority Act, 2012.
- Advising Pakistan Railways on a disputed tender process for the leasing of prime commercial land owned by Pakistan Railways to Royal Palm Golf & Country Club.
RIAA BARKER GILLETTE advises on the full array of commercial and residential property matters and has advised on a broad range of energy and infrastructure projects. The team is well-regarded for its work in the renewable energy sector in particular and has, in the past, advised on the construction of large dams, airports and other commercial buildings.
Rizwan Faiz Associates
Rizwan Faiz Associates has significant experience in all aspects of engineering procurement contracts in the energy and power sectors. In addition, the team has been involved in some high-profile public-private partnership projects. Rizwan Faiz Muhammad and Afzal Khan Shinwari co-head the department that is also skilled at advising on major litigation and arbitrations relating to issues as diverse as disputes over lease agreements and contractual claims under key projects.
‘Rizwan Faiz is a passionate and hardworking defender of his client’s interests. He gets stuck into the detail and never gives up. I have come across him as an opponent in an international arbitration in relation to a large construction infrastructure project and he was courteous and professional‘.
National Highway Authority (NHA)
Elite Estates (Pvt.) Ltd
Jamshoro Power Company Limited, Construction of 1320
MW thermal fired coal project;
Contractor: Siemens-Harbin JV, Consultant: Mott
Central Power Generation Company Limited, Construction
and Erection of 747 MW Project
- Represented National Highway Authority in an international ICC arbitration that was held in June 2018 in London as well as in ongoing post arbitration proceedings in Paris, France, in addition to the courts of Pakistan, in a Rs.5bn claim arising out of the project for the M-3 (Faisalabad –Khanewal) motorway.
- Advising Central Power Generation Company on various claims by the contractor arising out of turnkey contracts for work relating to the installation of gas compressor stations at Thermal Power Station, Guddu.
- Advised Elite Estates in 2019/2020 in various disputes under FIDIC contract with the contractors, M/S Dascon construction and M/S Shah Zaman (Private) Limited.