Projects and energy in Pakistan
Under the leadership of Umar Shereef and Owais Aziz, the first-rate team at Haidermota & Co Advocates regularly advises on the largest projects in Pakistan. Its excellent energy sector practice advises on diverse matters ranging from energy generation and distribution projects through to mining matters. The group also regularly assists with projects relating to urban safety and surveillance, as well as other key areas such as information and technology projects, mass transit systems, and education and healthcare projects. In addition, it has substantial experience in large-scale road and bridge construction projects. Major clients include leading national and international financial institutions, project companies, sponsors, multilateral agencies, construction companies and provincial governments.
Umar Shereef; Owais Aziz
‘We think Haidermota team is skilled and experienced in projects and energy sector (especially for hydropower and transmission line projects) in Pakistan, and has a firm grasp and in-depth understanding of this sector. During our collaboration with them, they are always result-oriented and capable of providing feasible and flexible solutions, even for those pioneering projects which are unprecedented in Pakistan. Their strong legal expertise to transactions is extremely impressive, and their outstanding negotiation ability is also noteworthy. Compared with other firms we have cooperated with in this sector, Haidermota is more capable of dealing with complicated transactions involving multi-parties and with unique feature, and providing higher-standard of work with more cost efficient billing standard.’
‘Generally speaking, we think all the team members of Haidermota with whom we worked are diligent and responsible. In particular we are impressed by one of the partners, Mr. Umar Shereef. Umar is a well-known and reputable legal expert in the sector, especially for independent power producer projects, and he is pragmatic to meet his client’s needs. He is very experienced in both project and banking area, and we are impressed by his commercial and solution-oriented approach as well as his outstanding negotiating skills, which are of great help to the client.’
‘Regarding the projects and energy sector, we would also like to recommend Mohsin Tayebaly & Co.’
Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company Limited
Power Cement Limited
Faysal Bank Limited
China Power Hub Generation Company Limited
Bank Al-Falah Limited
MCB Bank Limited
Sindh Mass Transport Authority, Government of Sindh
Act 2 Wind Power Limited
Artistic Wind Power Private Limited
Local Government Department, Government of Sindh
International Finance Corporation
Shanghai Electric Group Corporation
Thar Coal Block-1 Power Generation Company (Private) Limited
Pak Matiari-Lahore Transmission Company (Private) Limited
Sindh Carbon Energy Limited
Punjab Health Initiative Management Company
Eco Trade and Development Bank
Deutsche Investitions-und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH
Islamic Development Bank
Mitsubishi Corporation Limited
The Hub Power Company
- Advising Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company on the expansion of the open-pit coal mine in order to increase its capacity of 3.8MTPA to 7.6MTPA.
- Advising a syndicate of lenders in relation to a 660MW Thar coal-based power project being set up in Bin Qasim Town, Karachi.
- Advising a syndicate of lenders in relation to a 330MW Thar coal-based power project being set up at Thar Block-II of Thar Coalfield in Tharparkar District, Sindh.
- Advising a foreign company on the development of three solar power projects in the provinces of Punjab and Balochistan.
- Advising the government of Sindh on the construction and other aspects of the 39.4km Malir Expressway.
Orr, Dignam & Co.'s strong energy practice is adept at advising upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas companies. The active team continues to be involved in a number of projects and acquisitions in the energy sector and has acted for a variety of clients in the power sector, including power companies, fuel suppliers, lenders and contractors, as well as insurers and consultants. In the midstream energy sector, the firm has advised on contracts relating to long-distance pipeline projects and acts for a number of refineries. Its work includes advice on transnational oil and gas projects and it has advised on several coal and wind power generation projects as part of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor. Zahir Riaz and Aliya Yusuf are among the names to note.
Aliya Yusuf; Asim Nasim; Zahir Riaz; Shahid Raza
- Advising Pak-Arab Refinery (Parco) on its proposed coastal refinery project.
- Acting on behalf of Inter State Gas Systems, an entity established by the government of Pakistan, in the $10bn Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) Gas Pipeline Project.
- Advising Fauji Foundation and MPCL on the privatisation of the government’s residual shareholdings in MCPL.
- Advising China Three Gorges South Asia Investment (and its subsidiaries) and Port Qasim Electric Power Company (a joint venture of PowerChina) on various legal and regulatory issues and coal-based thermal power projects in Pakistan.
- Advised Mari Petroleum Company on the amendment to its gas pricing agreement with the President of Pakistan to allow for the pricing of additional and new discoveries under the terms of the 2012 Petroleum Exploration Policy.
At Qureshi Law Associates, Adnan Aslam Qureshi leads a vibrant and diverse power sector team, which has extensive experience in the oil and gas sector and has been involved in some of the most significant deals in Pakistan. It has acted for a wide variety of national and international companies, both upstream and downstream, and has particular expertise in the exploration and production sectors. In addition, the group has acted for major stakeholders such as banks, institutional developers and contractors on some of Pakistan’s landmark infrastructure projects.
Adnan Aslam Qureshi
Solution de Energy (Pvt) Ltd
Soan River Hydel Power Project
M/s Integrated Power Solution (Pvt) Ltd
M/s Jafri & Associates
M/s Solar Blue Pvt. Ltd.
IB Vogt Gmbh
Azad Jammu & Kashmir Private Power Cell
Sino Energy Consortium
Hydrochina Dawood(Pvt) Ltd
Murree Hydropower Project
- Acting as local counsel to King & Wood Mallesons in advising the major sponsor on how to structure and finance a 1,320MW coal power project.
- Acted as project counsel to Solution de Energy in connection with the company’s 100MW solar power project.
- Acted as project counsel to Jafri Brothers in connection with the establishment of a 50MW solar power project.
- Acted as project counsel to Integrated Power Solutions in connection with the establishment of a 50MW solar power project.
- Acting as project counsel to Sino Energy Consortium in connection with the establishment of a 50MW solar power project.
RIAA BARKER GILLETTE has a proven track record of acting as counsel on some of Pakistan’s most significant projects in recent years. The team is adept at advising on all aspects of major projects, from the structuring and drafting of the project and finance documents through to advising on the procurement and construction agreements. It also represents clients in negotiations with the Private Power and Infrastructure Board and the National Transmission and Despatch Company, and before the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority. Names to note include Hasnain Naqvee, who is known for his work on major power projects, and Bilal Shaukat, who has extensive experience in power projects and renewable energy projects. Shaukat is currently acting for several leading companies in the negotiation of various project documents.
Hasnain Naqvee; Nadir Altaf
Other key lawyers:
Triconboston Consulting Corporation (Private) Limited
S K Hydro (Private) Limited
Etihad Power Generation Limited
Nepal Water and Energy Development Company Private Limited
Enertech Holding Company
ET Energy Fateh Jang (Private) Limited / ET Energy Pakistan One (Private) Limited
Sapphire Wind Power Company Limited
Mira Power Limited
Kohala Hydropower Limited
Azad Pattan Hydropower (Private) Limited
Hydro Electric Power System Engineering Company
Central Power Generation Company Limited
Neelum Jhelum Hydro Power Company
Shajar Roads Limited
InfraCo Asia Development PTE Limited
Mughal Energy Limited
Kulachi Solar Power (Private) Limited
Lucky Electric Power Company Limited
Siddiqsons Energy Limited
ThalNova Power Thar (Private) Limited
Mari Petroleum Company Limited
EV-K2-CNRDin Energy Limited
Lakeside Energy (Private) Limited
Liberty Wind Power One (Private) Limited
NASDA Green Energy (Private) Limited
Zulekha Energy Limited
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Economic Zones Development and Management Company
Star Hydropower Limited
CTGI Welt Konnect (Private) Limited
Savvy Links (Private) Limited
Mehran Power (Private) Limited
Faran Power (Private) Limited
Habib Sugar Mills Energy (Private) Limited
Sitara Energy Limited
Master Power (Private) Limited
- Acting as counsel to Triconboston Consulting Corporation in relation to the development, financing, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of three wind power generation facilities.
- Acting as counsel to Etihad Power Generation in relation to a 74.40MW bagasse/coal-based co-generation power plant.
- Acting as international project counsel to Nepal Water and Energy Development Company in relation to a hydropower project in Nepal.
- Acting as counsel to Enertech Holding Company in relation to two 50MW solar power plants.
- Acting as counsel to Mira Power on a 102MW hydropower project.
ABS & Co. fields a versatile team that is skilled at advising on a broad range of issues relating to major infrastructure projects. It has considerable expertise in the oil and gas sector as well as in power, energy and aviation. It is experienced at advising both public and private sector clients on a myriad of issues, including those relating to the procurement process. Amna Warsi is one of the primary members of the team.
Amna Warsi; Ayasha Warsi; Salman Hanif Rajput; Sarjeel Mowahid
Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority
Karachi Port Trust
Mughals Pakistan Pvt. Ltd.
Samsons Group of Companies
Alternate Energy Development Board
- Advised Samsons group of companies on the hotel management agreement for the Malam Jabba resort.
- Advised the Alternate Energy Development Board on various issues relating to a bagasse-based renewable energy project.
- Advised the Alternate Energy Development Board on issues relating to a number of wind power projects.
Ahmed & Qazi
Ahmed & Qazi has been advising a wide variety of clients on their infrastructure and energy projects. Clients range from governmental bodies and agencies through to major local and international corporates, and the team has been particularly active advising significant Chinese companies. The team is well versed in all aspects of local water and power laws and is well placed to advise major companies and government departments on their involvement in power projects. Saim Hashmi, who has a wealth of experience in this area, leads the practice. Managing partner Nadeem Ahmed is also well regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Government of Sindh (Public Private Partnership (PPP) Unit, Works & Services Department, Transport Department, Energy Department, Agriculture Department, Livestock Department, etc.)
Government of Punjab (Public Private Partnership Cell, Planning & Development Department, Faisalabad Industrial Estate Development & Management Company )
China State Construction
ASG Metals Limited
Javedan Corporation Limited
China Three Gorges
- Acting as legal counsel to China Three Gorges South Asia Investment in relation to the construction and development of a 135MW hydropower-based electricity generation project.
- Assisting the Provincial Disaster Management Authority of the government of Sindh with various matters.
- Advising the Agriculture, Supply and Prices Department of the government of Sindh in relation to a project to set up a mango processing plant.
- Working with other consortium partners to advise the government of Sindh on all aspects of a project known as the Integrated Intelligent Transport System: Karachi Mass Transit Plan.
- Advising Karachi Port Trust on its engagement of various consultants to examine anticipated cargo handling at the local port and ways of addressing traffic congestion.
FGE Ebrahim Hosain
FGE Ebrahim Hosain is recommended for its work on major power projects, including coal, LNG and wind power projects. Key members of the team include Lahore office managing partner Ahmad Hosain and Zaki Rahman, who is well regarded for his work on significant infrastructure projects. The team was also strengthened by the addition of Islamabad-based Haroon Jan Baryalay, who joined the team from Axis Law Chambers. Baryalay regularly advises on all aspects of project finance transactions in the energy and power sectors, such as power purchase agreements, EPC contracts and project financing documents.
Khwaja Ahmad Hosain; Zaki Rahman; Haroon Jan Baryalay; Shabnam Nooali
‘Provides solid opinions‘
Askari Bank Limited
Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited
Descon Engineering Limited
Kohinoor Energy Limited
Tourism Promotion Services Pakistan
Kuwait Real Estate Company Limited
Tourism Promotion Services Pakistan
Associated Biscuits International Limited
Arabtec Pvt Limited
Tourism Promotion Service
Novo Nordisk Pakistan
Port Qasim Authority
- Represented Gharo Solar in the setting up of a 50MWp solar power project in Gharo in Thatta District, Sindh.
- Acting as legal counsel for FAS Energy Pakistan (SMC-Private) in connection with its 50MWp solar power plant in Kulachi, Dera Ismail Khan District, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province.
- Drafting and reviewing various gas supply agreements and gas transportation agreements for Sui Northern Gas Pipelines.
- Advising Kohinoor Energy on various issues related to the operation and maintenance of a power plant under a power purchase agreement.
- Advising Descon on various issues related to a project.
Ijaz Ahmed & Associates has been busy advising on a broad range of projects for various companies. The team is recommended for its work in the oil, gas and mineral exploration sectors, as well as for its considerable expertise in electricity and power generation projects. Ijaz Ahmed and Altaf Qureshi are prominent practitioners.
Ijaz Ahmed; Altaf Qureshi
Mustaqim Dyeing and Printing Industries (Private) Limited
Nestle Pakistan Limited
Pak Oman Investment Company Limited
Hum Networks Limited
National Electric Power Regulatory Authority
Asian Development Bank
- Advising ThalNova Power Thar (as sponsor) on the setting up of a power plant.
Kabraji & Talibuddin
Kabraji & Talibuddin has been active on a broad range of infrastructure and energy projects - including hydro, wind, coal and fuel-based power projects - for local and foreign clients. The skilled team has experience acting as local counsel for foreign lenders, as well as acting as project counsel for power companies, and advises on all aspects of projects from drafting the transaction documents through to obtaining the necessary consents and approvals. Kairas Kabraji's practice focuses primarily on energy, renewable and non-renewable resources, power and infrastructure projects.
Kairas Kabraji; Danish Shah; Syed Ali Bin Maaz; Maheen Faruqui; Alizeh Bashir
International Finance Corporation
China Development Bank
Overseas Private Investment Corporation
The Export-Import Bank of China
China Machinery Engineering Corporation
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
Canadian Solar Construction S.r.l
Pakistan International Bulk Terminal Limited
- Acting as local counsel for the lender in relation to the 1,124MW Kohala hydropower project being undertaken in Pakistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmir.
- Acting as local counsel for China Development Bank in relation to its financing of a large power plant.
- Acting for Premier Mercantile Services in relation to its proposed freight transportation agreement with a subsidiary of Pakistan Railways.
- Acting for the lenders on the 147MW Patrind power project.
- Acting as lead counsel to K-Electric, as the power purchaser, in two 50MW gas-fired power projects being set up in Sindh.
Mohsin Tayebaly & Co acts for numerous key clients on large project financing matters in Pakistan. It has represented both banks and companies on a variety of power-related projects with a special emphasis on renewable energy projects. Irfan Tayebaly and Vaseeq Khalid are recommended. Mikael Rahim was promoted to the partnership.
- Acted as local counsel to the lenders in relation to the financing for the construction and design of two highways.
- Acting for the bank in advising on syndicated foreign and local currency project financing facilities for the development of a 330 MW mine.
- Engaged as the Pakistani legal counsel to a consortium of banks through their foreign legal counsel Linklaters LLP, Beijing Office China, in connection with a project finance facility for the development of the 2×660 MW coal-fired power project.
- Advising a consortium of financial institutions in relation to a project finance facility that is being provided to finance the overlay, modernisation, operation and maintenance of a 43 km long section of national highway between Sheikhpura and Gujranwala.
- Advising its client in relation to the setting up of an oil refinery in Kohat, in the province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan.
Akhund Forbes is known for its advice on complex projects which often have a multi-jurisdictional dimension. Of late it has advised on projects in a variety of sectors, including infrastructure, mining, minerals and energy, and is well equipped to advise on the regulatory aspects of these deals. The team has a solid reputation for its work with international clients looking for investment opportunities in the Pakistani power sector. Rabel Akhund is increasingly busy advising on major power and infrastructure projects.
‘The team has time and time again been able to provide good and effective opinions. The managing partner, Rabel Akhund, is very good and provides the utmost attention to detail‘
China Development Bank
Chongqing Changan Automobile Co. Ltd
China Power Hub Generation Company (Private) Limited
Yangtze Three Gorges Technology & Economy Development Co., Ltd (Muzaffarabad)
Zhong Lun Law Firm
Government of Sindh (Karachi Circular Railway)
Gemini Office Services UK Limited
edotco Pakistan Pvt Limited
Privatisation Commission of Pakistan
- Advised China Development Bank on a syndicated loan for a transmission line project.
- Advising the Privatisation Commission of Pakistan on the privatisation of National Power Parks Management Company.
- Advising China Power Hub Generation Company on the various legal, regulatory and financial aspects relating to the operation of power plants.
- Advising Yangtze Three Gorges Technology & Economy Development on various matters.
Axis Law Chambers
With Amina Ahmed at the helm of Axis Law Chambers, the team is increasingly becoming a preferred adviser to the government, project developers and banks on major infrastructure and energy projects. It has expertise in both renewable and thermal power projects, as well as trans-shipment projects, water treatment projects and infrastructure projects in the health sector. The team also has substantial experience in public-private partnerships. In addition, Ahmed has significant capabilities in advising on both conventional and Islamic modes of project financing.
Energy Department, Government of Sindh
HUBCO Thar Energy Limited
Zorlu Enerji Pakistan Limited
Nizam Energy (Private) Limited
United Bank Limited and United National Bank Limited
Huaneng Shandong Ruyi (Sahiwal)
National Highway Authority
Solis Energy Solutions (Private) Limited
JS Petroleum Limited
- Part of a consortium that is advising the Energy Department of the government of Sindh on various aspects of the Keti Bandar project, which relates to a 1,320MW coal-based power plant, jetty and railway track to be established at the ancient port site of Keti Bandar.
- Acting as project counsel for Hubco/Thar Energy in relation to a 330MW power project to be located in Thar.
- Acting as project counsel for Zorlu Enerji Pakistan in respect of its proposed 300MW solar power project.
- Acting as project counsel for Nizam Energy in respect of various proposed solar power projects in Sindh.
- Acting as lenders’ counsel for various local and foreign banks providing finance to OurSun Solar Power, which will supply electricity to K-Electric.
Liaquat Merchant Associates
Liaquat Merchant Associates has considerable experience in substantial power projects, such as hydropower, coal-based, LNG-based and wind power projects. Faresa Jafarey Ahsan heads the LNG projects team and continues to be engaged in major LNG projects and LNG-related work in Pakistan.
Faresa Jafarey Ahsan