Haidermota & Co Advocates has acted in a variety of landmark deals relating to energy generation and distribution, mining, roads and bridges as well as in other sectors such as information & technology and education. Umar Shereef and Owais Aziz lead the team, which represents leading national and international financial institutions, project companies and sponsors on all aspects of project financing. Other active clients include multilateral agencies, construction companies and provincial governments. The firm has also played a pivotal role in numerous public-private partnership transactions for provincial governments. Other highlights included the promotion of Babar Zaman Khan and Rahmat Kamal Ghanghro to the partnership.
Projects and energy in Pakistan
‘Haidermota & Co. represents one of the top two project finance firms of choice for project financiers and sponsors alike. The depth of their experience, their ability to structure solutions for their clients and quality practical advice are the reasons why clients flock to them’.
‘Umar Shereef, Senior Partner of the Lahore office is an institution when it comes to energy and power and privitisations’.
‘We think the Haidermota team is skilled and experienced in the projects and energy sector in Pakistan, and has a firm grasp and in-depth understanding of this sector. During our collaboration with them, they are always result-oriented and capable of providing feasible and flexible solutions, even for those pioneering projects which are unprecedented in Pakistan. Compared with other firms we have cooperated with in this sector, Haidermota is more capable of dealing with complicated transactions involving multiple parties and with unique features, and provides a higher standard of work with a more cost efficient billing standard’.
‘Generally speaking, we think all the team members of Haidermota with whom we worked are diligent and responsible. In particular we are impressed by partners Umar Shereef, Rahmat Kamal, and Owais Aziz. Umar has extensive experience in both project and banking area. We are impressed by his commercial and solution-oriented approach as well as his outstanding negotiating skills. Rahmat is knowledgeable of local law and practice, especially in project and energy sector. Her capability of providing practical and in-depth analysis on the tariff regime in Pakistan is most impressive. Owais is familiar with the legal regulatory framework and legal practice related to banking and finance. He is pragmatic in meeting his client’s needs’.
‘Excellent knowledge of the power sector set up in Pakistan. Well versed in all the necessary policies’.
‘Very devoted and thorough. Has an indepth knowledge of policies of the government and security documents. In addition, their understanding of project finance is exemplary’.
‘This is the firm that one goes to when faced with a complex or seemingly insurmountable legal problem; and then they make it look easy! Their ability to understand not just the legal challenge but the commercial imperatives and devise a strategy accordingly is unparalleled’.
‘Khozem Haidermota stands head and shoulders above his peers in terms of client service, quality of advice, and turnaround time. Umar Shareef is exceptional. Rahmat Kamal Ghanghro is like a keen technician working through the issues and coming up with an excellent product’.
Act2 Wind (Private) Limited
Gul Ahmed Electric Limited
Metro Wind Power Limited
Liberty Wind Power 1 (Private) Limited
Liberty Wind Power 2 (Private) Limited
NASDA Green Energy (Private) Limited
Artistic Wind Power (Private) Limited
Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company Limited
Shanghai Electric Group Corporation
Power Cement Limited
Faysal Bank Limited
China Power Hub Generation Company Limited
Bank Alfalah Limited
MCB Bank Limited
Sindh Mass Transport Authority, Government of Sindh
Local Government Department, Government of Sindh
Lahore Ring Road Authority, Government of Punjab
International Finance Corporation
Thar Coal Block-1 Power Generation Company (Private) Limited
Pak Matiari-Lahore Transmission Company (Private) Limited
Sindh Carbon Energy Limited
Punjab Health Initiative Management Company
Eco Trade and Development Bank
Deutsche Investitions-und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH
Islamic Development Bank
Mitsubishi Corporation Limited
The Hub Power Company Limited
Fauji Cement Company Limited
Zephyr Power (Private) Limited
Ib Vogt GmbH
Habib Bank Limited
United Bank Limited
Bank of Punjab
Harbin Electric International Company Limited
Zonergy Group of Companies
Attock Gen Limited
Sapphire Wind Power Company Limited
UEG Renewable Energy Group (Private) Limited
Engro Powergen Thar (Private) Limited
Sphere Logic Partners
China CAMC Engineering Co. Limited
Yellow Door Energy
CDC Group plc
- Acting as the lenders’ local counsel to CDC Group Plc and Habib Bank Limited in on financing for Zhenfa Pakistan New Energy Company (Private) Limited in respect of a 100MW solar powered power project being developed in Punjab.
- Engaged to advise the financial advisors to the Government of Pakistan in respect of the proposed privatisation of the 565 MW combined cycle RLNG plant at Nandipur owned by Northern Power Generation Company Limited (NPGCL).
- Advising the Government of Sindh in developing the 38.75 km Malir Expressway.
Through its offices in Karachi and Islamabad, the team at Orr, Dignam & Co. handles a broad range of innovative projects. The firm has a strong energy practice and frequently advises upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas companies. It has advised too on a number of significant projects and acquisitions in the wind power sector. Zahir Riaz and Aliya Yusuf are among the primary contacts at the firm.
Mari Petroleum Co Limited
Pakistan State Oil Company Limited
Inter State Gas Systems (Private) Limited
Pak-Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO)
Foundation Wind Energy Limited
Multiple Independent Power Producers
Pakistan LNG Limited / Pakistan LNG Terminal Limited
Multiple Independent Power Producers
- Advising and acting on behalf of Inter State Gas Systems (Pvt) Limited in the $10bn Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India (TAPI) Gas Pipeline Project. Currently advising in relation to the Host Government Agreement between the Governments of Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, and India.
- Advising and acting on behalf of Inter State Gas Systems (Pvt.) Limited in relation to the construction of the Pakistan Stream Gas Pipeline Project (formerly North-South Gas Pipeline). Currently advising in relation to negotiations between ISGS, the Government of Pakistan and the Russian Government, as well as on the finalisation of Shareholders’ Agreement and Memorandum and Articles of Association of the project SPV.
- Advising Pakistan State Oil from time to time in relation to LNG contracts/procurements.
Adnan Aslam Qureshi leads the team at Qureshi Law Associates, which is a known name for its work on major projects in the power and infrastructure sectors. The thriving practice has been advising on projects in the oil and gas sectors in addition to coal mining. It regularly works with leading national and international companies both upstream and downstream and is also recommended for its work in the exploration and production sectors. In addition the team routinely works with major stakeholders on these projects such as banks, international developers and contractors.
M/s Solution de Energy (Pvt) Ltd
M/s Red Sea Petroleum (Private) Limited
M/s IPS Solar Park-IPS 22 (Pvt) Ltd
M/s IPS Solar Park- JA 23 (Pvt) Ltd
M/s IPS Solar Park- SB 24 (Pvt) Ltd
M/s Gugera Hydel Power (Pvt) Ltd
M/s Soan River Hydel Power Project
M/s Sino Energy Consortium
M/s Hydrochina Dawood (Pvt) Ltd
M/s Muree Hydropower
- Advised Tianjin Energy Investment Group Co. Ltd on the acquisition of 24% of the shares of an existing project company establishing a 300 MW coal power project.
- Advising Hydrochina Dawood (Pvt) Ltd on various matters relating to a major power project .
- Hired by Sichuan through its China based lawyers Deheng Law Firm to provide Pakistani law assistance for acquiring Oracle Plc, owners of an integrated coal mine and power plant of 700 MW located in Sindh on their behalf.
Under the leadership of Hasnain Naqvee, the RIAA BARKER GILLETTE team has an excellent track record of working on some of the most significant projects in Pakistan throughout the years. Recently it has been advising on the development of various kinds of distributed solar solutions and has also been advising on disputes against the power purchasers when there have been any delays in project completion. Lahore-based Naqvee regularly advises on a significant number of the new power projects in Pakistan. Karachi-based Bilal Shaukat has extensive experience in developing power projects such as renewable energy infrastructure. Shaukat is currently engaged by several leading companies to draft and negotiate the project documents and to advise on various regulatory compliance issues. Ahsan Zahir Rizvi is another leading member of the team.
‘ Sector specialisation – Tailor-made legal solutions – Flexible billing options. Energy Sector knowledge and accessibility to team – Hasnain Naqvee and Bilal Shaukat’.
‘This firm is efficient and responsive. They have the required facilities. In our years of experience with this law firm we have not faced any problem and in addition to good people they have the required technology to support the customers in a timely manner. Billing matters are smooth with the firm’.
‘In legal matters it is important that the persons with whom you are dealing with are readily available. This quality is available in the partners of this firm. They make themselves available for timely support. In addition to the required high level of knowledge they are honest, hardworking and cooperative. These are the qualities which are important for a high level support. On a few occasions when we dealt with associates they also fully cooperated’.
Nepal Water and Energy Development Company Private Limited
Mira Power Limited
Millat Tractors Limited
Thar Coal Energy Board
Sukkur Municipal Corporation
WPPs (including members of Pakistan Wind Energy Association)
Bagasse Co-Generation Project Companies
2002 Power Projects
1994 Power Projects
Shajar Roads Limited
Din Energy Limited
Lakeside Energy (Private) Limited
Indus Wind Energy Limited
Sindh Nooriabad Power Company Limited
Anoud Power Generation Limited
Hub Power Company Limited
Lucky Electric Power Company Limited
ThalNova Power Thar (Private) Limited
Mari Petroleum Company Limited
Zulekha Energy Limited
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Economic Zones Development and Management Company
Star Hydropower Limited
CTGI Welt Konnect (Private) Limited
Savvy Links (Private) Limited
Mehran Power (Private) Limited
Faran Power (Private) Limited
Habib Sugar Mills Energy (Private) Limited
Sitara Energy Limited
Master Power (Private) Limited
Yellow Door Energy
Zahir Khan & Brothers (ZKB)
Gugera Hydropower Company (Private) Limited
National Transmission & Despatch Company Limited
Omni Power (Private) Limited
- Acting as the international project company counsel in relation to the development of a hydropower project of approximately 216MW in Nepal and advising the company on international transaction matters.
- The Client (Tricom Wind Power (Private) Limited) is developing a 50 MW wind power project in Jhimpir, Sindh, Pakistan, which project is one of the projects labelled as ‘Super Six’ by the International Finance Corporation, its lender.
- The firm is part of a financial, legal and technical advisory consortium to the Investment Department, Government of Sindh for establishing a special economic zone in Thatta, Sindh through a public private partnership model.
ABS & Co. has been actively advising a variety of public and private sector clients on numerous projects including infrastructure projects and projects in the aviation and oil & gas sectors. Other sector expertise includes advising on key projects in the power and energy sectors. Under the direction of Sarjeel Mowahid , Amna Warsi and Ayasha Warsi the practice routinely drafts international and domestic contracts for the government, public entities and private clients.
‘’The team is very cooperative and easily accessible. Their turn around time is commendable as well’.
Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority
Karachi Port Trust
Sui Northern Gas Pipeline Ltd (SNGPL)
China Gezhouba Group Company td
Interstate Gas Systems Ltd (ISGS)
Quaid e Azam Thermal Pvt Ltd
National Science & Technology Park, National University of Science & Technology
Mirza Associates Engineering Services Pvt. Ltd.
Lahore Waste Management Company
Samsons Group of Companies
- Drafted, reviewed and negotiated a gas supply agreement (GSA) between Sui Northern Gas Pipeline Ltd. and Pakistan Electric Power Company.
- Advising Lahore Waste Management Company on the procurement process for the prequalification of contractors for the collection, transportation and safe disposal of solid waste.
- Advising Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority on incorporating international civil aviation codes, guides etc. with reference to their annexes into domestic legislation and regulations thereto.
Akhund Forbes is recommended for its work on a variety of complex projects that frequently have a multi-jurisdictional dimension. It is active in a number of sectors including infrastructure, mining and minerals as well as in the energy sector. It is skilled at advising on all aspects of these projects including the financial and regulatory issues that arise during these projects. Rabel Akhund heads the department, which also includes Sahar Iqbal.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is responsive and professional.’
‘Rabel Z. Akhund is an excellent partner who always provides timely, professional and thoughtful advices. Rabel is professional, easy to communicate, responses are timely.’
‘Unique documentation and negotiations with multiple stakeholders are common in energy projects in Pakistan. The team at Akhund Forbes is thorough in Pakistani law, they are very good in drafting various instruments and they are good negotiators. They also understand the working of public sector agencies of Pakistan relating to the power sector‘.
‘Rabel Akhund and Sahar Iqbal have been outstanding in the provision of professional support to the project. Professionalism is their main attribute and distinguishes them from their competitors‘.
Privatisation Commission, Government of Pakistan
Chongqing Changan Automobile Co. Ltd
China Power Hub Generation Company (Private) Limited
Zhong Lun Law Firm
Government of Sindh (Karachi Circular Railway)
Weye Cement and Construction Materials (Private) Limited
Gemini Office Services UK Limited
edotco Pakistan Pvt Limited
Edotco Group SDN Berhad
Edotco Towers (Private) Limited
Central Depository Company of Pakistan Limited
Association of Builders and Developers of Pakistan
InterContinental Hotels Group (Asia Pacific) Pte. Ltd
Bank of Shanghai , Beijing Branch
Baker & McKenzie
China Development Bank
China Electric Power Equipment and Technology Co.Ltd.
THAI STANLEY ELECTRIC PUBLIC CO., LTD.
Stanley Electronic CO., LTD
China Zhongyuan Engineering Corporation
China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC)
Sindh Solid Waste Management Board
- Advising the Privatisation Commission of Pakistan on the privatisation of two RLNG based power plants in a privatisation expected to raise $2bn.
- Advised Sinosure in connection with 2 billion dollar plus energy projects, one of which is a major hydropower project and the other is one of the largest coal mining and mine-mouth power generation project in Pakistan.
- Advising Sindh Solid Waste Management Board on the legal aspects of the proposed integrated solid waste management project for selected districts of Karachi as well as Larkana, Gari Khuda Baksh and Mohenjodaro.
Ijaz Ahmed & Associates fields a versatile team that is well-able to handle the full array of legal issues that arise during the course of a project. The practice under the leadership of Ijaz Ahmed and Altaf Qureshi continues to advise foreign clients and international law firms as well as domestic sponsors, banks and Government authorities. It has particular strength in oil and gas as well as mineral exploration and power generation projects.
‘The firm is responsive compared to other Karachi based law firms that we use and provides more partner led input on important client matters’.
‘We are very happy with the support provided by Ijaz Ahmed and Altaf Qureshi’.
‘In-depth energy sector experience. Ijaz Ahmed is clearly a leading energy practitioner. Ijaz was very responsive and also gave extremely practical advice particularly as to how the relevant legal/regulatory regime is applied in practice. He knows all of the leading energy lawyers and was able to build a consensus among them so that the respective clients were able to proceed with confidence regarding their understanding of the local legal position‘.
Mustaqim Dyeing and Printing Industries (Private) Limited
Nestle Pakistan Limited
Pak Oman Investment Company Limited
Hum Networks Limited
National Electric Power Regulatory Authority
Kabraji & Talibuddin
Kabraji & Talibuddin is a recognised name for its work in the energy and power sector. The skilled team frequently works with local and foreign clients on hydroelectric, wind, coal, solar and fuel-based power projects. It has assisted government entities in the development of legislation in the power sector and is adept at handling all aspects of the projects from drafting the transaction documents through to obtaining all necessary consents and approvals. Notable names include senior partner Kairas Kabraji who has a wealth of experience in complex project financings.
China Development Bank
Commercial Bank of China Limited
China Minsheng Bank Corp., Limited
Postal Savings Bank of China Co., Limited
Bank of Communications Co., Limited
Agricultural Bank of China Shanghai Pilot Free Trade Zone Branch
- Advising various banks on 2 x 660 MW power plants being set up by Thar Coal Block-1 Power Generation Company (Private) Limited and a 7.8m tonne per year mine project being set up by Sino Sindh Resources (Private) Limited each located at Thar coalfield block 1, Sindh.
- Acting as local counsel to the lender on all matters pertaining to Pakistani law in relation to 700.7 MW Azad Pattan hydropower project, to be located in Azad Jammu & Kashmir and Punjab.
Mohsin Tayebaly & Co garners praise for its project financing work on power generation and road infrastructure projects as well as its strength in public private partnerships. It has a solid track record of working on major cross-border project financings and has a particularly strong working relationship with law firms that are based in the People’s Republic of China. Irfan Tayebaly heads the team, which is well-equipped to advise on the entire life cycle of projects from the financing arrangements through to refinancing and concession agreements. Vaseeq Khalid and Salman Rahim are also recommended.
China Development Bank
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Karachi Branch
Habib Bank Limited
National Bank of Pakistan
Bank of Punjab
Bank of Shanghai
China Construction Bank Limited
Meezan Bank Limited
Askari Bank Limited
Cornelius, Lane & Mufti
Cornelius, Lane & Mufti fields a first-rate team that is actively engaged in the energy sector and frequently advises public and private sector entities on significant projects. The team also receives plaudits for its work in the electric power generation sector as well as the electric power transmission and distribution sectors. The practice is led by Salman Butt and is well-placed to handle both contentious and non-contentious matters. It has advised various project sponsors across different fuel types such as thermal, hydroelectricity and renewables. In addition it has worked with leading distribution companies and has advised clients on several greenfield projects.
‘What distinguishes CLM from other law firms when it comes to the energy sector and projects is its special knowledge about the technical issues and intricacies of the energy matters and transactions and its ability to give advice that is not only well reasoned, practical and commercial but well informed in respect of any potential risks or complications that may arise. From generation, transmission and distribution of electricity to matters such as tariff determination for the sale of electricity, we have found this practice to have an advanced level of understanding of the issues in the energy sector and the laws that are relevant. Another aspect that we really value about CLM is their availability, and ability to arrange meetings at short notice, especially during the testing times that have arisen due to COVID-19 crisis‘.
‘I have had the opportunity to work with partners and associates in CLM that stand out from the competitors due to their sheer commitment, knowledge, and experience. Munawar-us-Salam is a committed individual and a team player with a thorough understanding and experience of the power sector, electricity market reforms, policy, legal, contractual, and regulatory matters across the power sector supply chain. He has been engaged in many power sector projects in the past which gives him the ability to grasp the highly technical and delicate aspects of the energy sector and give well reasoned, well informed and practical advice. We have always found him to be extremely reliable and his availability is exceptional‘.
‘Waleed Khalid is an expert in the power sector with extensive experience in the drafting of PPAs, GSAs, dealing in international arbitration, and regulatory, policy, legal, and contractual matters across the power sector supply chain. We have always been impressed by his ability to do exceptionally well in terms of advising on the structure of complicated transactions and exhibit exceptional understanding of industry issues‘.
‘CLM team is very strong in-terms of its understanding of the electricity business. I am really inspired by the capacity of the team, the culture to be extremely detailed oriented and to go deep into things‘.
‘I have worked mostly Munawar Salam. He is an excellent resource – has excellent in depth understanding of legal, policy and regulatory affairs of power sector. A brilliant resource. He spends a lot of time in understanding the technical/business dimension of things, needless to mention he has an excellent understanding of legal aspects!’.
‘Team is professional and works in a professional manner. They have the capabilities to handle the cases very well. Stand-out partner Munawar-us-Salam, I know him since approximately more than 4 years and found him to be a hard worker and dedicated to the assigned task and responsive‘.
‘Salman Aslam Butt the senior lawyer has the personality and capability to create a difference while dealing with the case. We feel secure when he deals with the case. For opinion purposes we feel one of the partners Mr Waleed Khalid has the required capability and acumen‘.
‘Power sector projects in Pakistan, probably a little more than other jurisdictions, require expertise, knowledge and experience of various legal and regulatory environments which are overlapping and interlinked (such as power, petroleum, finance, banking, revenue, land etc.). A potential client would certainly like to look for counsel(s) with relevant experience in all of the said interconnected regimes both contentious and non-contentious. Mr. Munawar us Salam is highly experienced and hands on with the contentious as well as non-contentious aspects of power projects which is very rare to have in the legal industry in Pakistan‘.
Harappa Solar (Private) Limited
AJ Power (Private) Limited
JDW Sugar Mills Limited
Uch Power Limited (Pak)
Kot Addu Power Company Limited (Pak)
Punjab Thermal Power (Pvt.) Limited (PTPL)
Central Power Purchasing Agency (Guarantee) Limited
Punjab Mineral Company
Atlas Power Limited
Halmore Power Generation Company
The HUB Power Company
Orient Power (Pvt) Limited
Saif Power Limited
Sapphire Electric Company Limited
Lalpir Power Limited
Pakgen Power Limited
Nishat Power Limited
Nishat Chunian Power Limited
Liberty Power Tech Limited
- Advised the independent power producers with respect to certain amendments to their contractual arrangements with the power producer and the Government of Pakistan.
- Acted as legal advisor to Punjab Thermal Power (Pvt.) Limited (PTPL) on the transaction for the setting up of a 1260 MW RLNG power plant, including drafting of all project agreements, finance agreements, bidding documents and advice on regulatory and legal matters.
- Advised some bagasse and solar IPPs in relation to the renegotiation of their agreements and tariff with the Government and on the resolution of pending issues including overdue payments.
Head of team at Farooq, Khan & Mirza is barrister Omer Farooq, who receives many plaudits for his ‘strong commercial sense’ and for being ‘very diligent’. He has a particular focus on highways, expressways, motorways, toll roads and bridges. The practice is recommended for its work with various sponsors, equity investors, project companies and special purpose vehicles. Other clients include leading financiers and contractors in addition to public service entities. The practice continues to work on a variety of significant local PPP projects.
‘Omer Farooq is a standout lawyer who despite a small practice has been able to earn the trust of his clients over the last few years. His nimbleness has been of great value especially during the pandemic’.
‘Omer Farooq has earned quite a reputation when it comes to infrastructure projects, especially those in the roads and transport sector under concessions. His ability to see through the clutter and focus on what is truly important for the clients is phenomenal’.
‘Always available. Has the relevant knowledge and experience. Efficient –Omer Farooq – Outstanding person, accommodating, deal maker, good experience. Good understanding of transactions and has the relevant experience‘.
‘Based on our professional experience with FKM, it has been observed that the firm is highly professional, competitive and eager to resolve the queries of its client within the deadlines. The firm has a designated person to quickly respond to the most urgent queries of clients within a time span of as less as half an hour which provides it with a competitive edge in the market’.
‘Omer Farooq has been found extremely diligent about the spontaneous and amicable resolution of the queries raised by the client. He has made himself available in far locations out of Islamabad to cater to his clients in emergency circumstances. His listening skills and soft replies made him more friendly towards the clients’.
‘They have a very professional & competent team that provides extremely practical and workable options to the client’.
‘Extremely meticulous, responsive and methodical in approach’.
‘Omer Farooq and his team are always open to innovative solutions and work towards finding /suggesting commercially viable propositions, while remaining in the applicable legal framework/regime. Very cooperative and collaborative overall’.
Frontier Works Organization (FWO)
National Logistics Cell (NLC)
Contractors Association of Pakistan (CAP)
Government of Sindh, PPP Unit
Zahir Khan & Brothers (ZKB)
Sultan Mehmood and Company (SMC)
Swat Expressway Planning Construction and Operations (Private) Limited (SEPCO)
Superhighway Construction Operation and Rehabilitation Engineering (Private) Limited (SCORE)
Punjab Ring Road Infrastructure Management and Engineering (Private) Limited (PRIME)
Motorway Operations and Rehabilitation Engineering (Private) Limited (MORE)
Lahore Sialkot Motorway Infrastructure Management (Private) Limited (LSMIM)
Southern Loop Engineering Company (Private) Limited (SLEEC)
Habibabad Operation and Management (Private) Limited (HOME)
Sachal Engineering Works (Private) Limited
Asian Development Bank
Sardar Muhammad Ashraf D. Baluch (SMADB)
Usmani International Associates (Private) Limited
- Continues to represent Motorway Operations and Rehabilitation Engineering (Private) Limited (MORE) in relation to the project for the overlay and modernisation of the Lahore-Islamabad Motorway (M-2), connecting Lahore and Islamabad on a Public-Private Partnership basis.
- Continues to act for Superhighway Construction Operation and Rehabilitation Engineering (Private) Limited (SCORE) on the project for the rehabilitation of the Karachi-Hyderabad Superhighway and conversion of the same into a six lane, controlled access motorway on a Public-Private Partnership basis.
- Continues to act for PPP Unit and Works & Services Department-Government of Sindh as legal counsel on the M9-N5 Link Road Project.
Liaquat Merchant Associates has advised on a variety of major power projects including hydroelectric power projects, coal-based power projects and wind power projects. It has also been working with some major foreign law firms on various important projects. The team is recommended too for its commercial, corporate and regulatory advice on all aspects of LNG-based project documents. Faresa Jafarey Ahsan leads the agile team, which also includes Hira Ahmad who is particularly recommended for her work on natural gas matters. Another notable member of the team is Mustafa Mumtaz who is well-regarded for his work in the oil and gas sectors as well as power projects, including alternative energy projects.
Sui Southern Gas Company Limited
Karachi Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited
Sindh Solid Waste Management Board
Pakistan LNG Terminal Limited
- Advising ZKB Partners as the bidder for the tender relating to the development of Dhabeji Special Economic Zone (SEZ), a project with an estimated worth of PKR1.2bn.
- Advising Karachi Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited on general infrastructure projects, which are approximately worth around $1bn, and on the establishment of the Green Line Bus Routes and hiring of operators, consultants and contractors.
- Appointed as legal advisors to Sui Southern Gas Company Limited to advise on the execution of an addendum to the gas transportation agreement under which SSGC is to transport the RLNG to Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited after having regasified the LNG at the Engro LNG Terminal at Port Qasim, Karachi.
Raja Mohammed Akram Co.
The infrastructure and energy department at Raja Mohammed Akram Co. covers the full spectrum of issues from the initial project development stage to any disputes that arise during the course of a project. It has been working on some major power projects in Pakistan as well as in South and South East Asia. In addition the group has been advising on numerous renewable energy projects. Aneesa Agha leads the team that advises clients as diverse as infrastructure contractors and independent power producers to insurers, state-owned corporate entities and reinsurers.
Fatima Energy Limited (FEL)
Hyundai Nishat Motor (Private) Limited
Mahmood Group of Industries
Kathai II Hydro (Private) Limited
Gharo Solar Limited
Roomi Enterprises (Private) Limited
- Represented Fatima Energy Limited in multiple proceedings arising out of the applicability and enforcement of wheeling regulations and the regulatory regime of electric power before the Islamabad High Court and the Lahore High Court.
- Advising Gharo Solar Limited in the bidding process of 3×50 MW solar projects to be set up in Balochistan for offtake to K-Electric Limited.
- Advising Roomi Enterprises (Private) Limited in the acquisition of minority shareholding in a renewable energy company.
Vellani & Vellani
Vellani & Vellani routinely assists domestic and foreign financial institutions on major projects such as power generation and port infrastructure projects. The firm also has considerable experience in the oil and gas sector. Badaruddin Vellani and Tariq Nasir head the department that has advised lenders and project sponsors on various transactions in the wind and solar sectors as well as in coal and on LNG import terminals.
‘They are available for their clients around the clock. ’They understand the commercial interests that are required to be achieved and work accordingly ’.