Labour and employment in Pakistan
Axis Law Chambers
Axis Law Chambers regularly advises domestic and international companies on the full array of employment matters from social security to payroll and workers' welfare obligations. The team is also adept at advising on employment benefits, termination procedures and the operation of employee provident funds, as well as at assisting clients with labour inspections and representing them before labour tribunals. Names to note include Mian Tariq Hassan and the highly regarded Waqqas Mir, who advises local and foreign entities on their compliance requirements with local labour and employment laws.
Careem Pakistan (Pvt.) Limited
Coca Cola Beverages Pakistan Limited (CCBPL)
Centre for Economic Research in Pakistan
- Regularly advises Careem Pakistan on various labour and employment matters.
- Advised Coca-Cola Beverages Pakistan on the duties and role of a ‘workman’ under the Industrial Relations Act 2012.
- Advised the Centre for Economic Research in Pakistan on various labour law issues such as social security benefits.
Yousaf Amanat & Associates regularly advises mining companies, oil and gas companies, and donor agencies, as well as telecoms companies, banks and government agencies, on the full range of employment and labour matters. It is mostly engaged by companies that are headquartered outside of Pakistan. The first-class team is also known for its skill at handling high-value contentious labour matters. Recently it has been advising on various issues relating to the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor. Managing partner Yousaf Amanat is a highly experienced practitioner and Karachi-based Noman Zahid is another well-known name.
‘The firm has advised leading companies in Pakistan on HR policy and legal issues. It has in-depth knowledge of local laws and regulations and years of experience in helping employers with human resources polices and local employment practices‘
‘The team is responsive and knowledgeable‘
‘Yousaf Amanat is a problem solver and a trusted legal adviser‘
‘Yousaf Amanat provides a highly valuable client service in terms of quality and delivery of legal work and the management of expectations‘
HMD Global Oy Finland (Nokia Phones Manufacturers)
National Highway Authority
TNS Mobile International Oy
MoL Oil and Gas Co. B.V
Xinlei Mining Industries
Colt Resources Middle East
- Advising China Railway Construction Corporation on a large deal involving a workforce of 2,000 people.
Akhund Forbes has a skilled and experienced team that advises a broad range of local, national and international clients on the full spectrum of labour and employment issues, including drafting HR policies in accordance with Pakistan's labour laws. It also works with a number of major law firms to advise on local law matters. Sahar Iqbal is well regarded.
MCB-Arif Habib Savings and Investments Limited
DLA Piper Middle East LLP
DeHeng Law Offices China
China Power Hub Generation Company
Yangtze Three Gorges Technology & Economy Development Co., Ltd (Muzaffarabad)
UBL Fund Managers Limited
- Advised MCB-Arif Habib Savings and Investments on various issues relating to voluntary pension schemes, third-party employment and other issues such as outsourcing.
- Advised various international clients of DLA Piper on matters such as outsourcing and recruitment.
- Advised China Power Hub Generation Company on the requirements to register the plant under section 9 of the Factories Act 1934.
- Advised UBL Fund Managers on various queries relating to the current employment regime in Pakistan.
- Assisted MCB-Arif Habib Savings and Investments with amending its HR policy in line with the requirements of the labour laws in Pakistan.
ANZ Partners frequently advises well-known international companies on local law issues. Under the leadership of Nabeel Rehman and Aqeel Malik, the practice is particularly well versed in drafting employment manuals and employee handbooks in accordance with Pakistani law. The team has also advised embassies on a variety of labour law issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘A sound academic background makes ANZ Partners unique. Coupled with good nature, politeness and good listening skills, this is an excellent mix for a legal firm to have’
‘Fazli Qadir Khan is an outstandingly capable individual‘
Save The Children Pakistan
Pakistan Humanitarian Forum
Center For International Private Enterprise
Pakistan China Institute (PCI)
Can Asian Synergies (Private) Limited
Yu-Fei Pelagic Fisheries (Private) Limited
Pelagic Fisheries (Private) Limited
Energy Solutions And Green Power (Private) Limited
Pci Holding (Private) Limited
Al Noor Trust
AR Foods (Private) Limited
AR Cash & Carry
Madina Cash & Carry (MCC)
Ascendia (Private) Limited
Brighterlite Pakistan (Private) Limited
DM Textile Mills
The Educators, Rawalpindi
Elahi Cotton Mills Limited
Enekon (Private) Limited
Espresso Express, Restaurant
EU Delegation To Pakistan
Pak Steel Mills
District 6, Restaurant
Embassy Of France
Kohistan Developers & Builders
Embassy Of Austria
International Republican Institute (IRI)
Royal Danish Embassy
Islamabad Diagnostics Center (IDC)
La Montana Restaurant, Islamabad
Maroof Hospital, Islamabad
Mh Cab (Private) Limited
Pamir Marcopolo (Private) Limited
Pakistan Nursing Council
Tianjin China Petroleum Drilling Company Limited (TCPDC)
Uch Power Limited
Western Global Services (Private) Limited
Westeren Services (Private) Ld
- Advised Save the Children in Pakistan on diverse human resource matters.
- Advised Muslim Aid (Pakistan) on whether local employees working in the international NGO sector were eligible for gratuity and provident funds in accordance with Pakistani labour laws.
- Advised Pakistan-China Institute on drafting various human resources guidelines in line with local laws.
- Advised Intek Corporation on drafting its employee handbook in accordance with local laws.
- Advised AR Foods on drafting its human resources policy in accordance with local laws.
Khalid Anwer & Co. has particular strength in contentious employment matters and has been involved in some significant recent cases. The team continues to advise various major banks on complex employment matters, as well as advising former employees of large companies on their pension and retirement benefits. Key members of the team are Raashid Anwer and Syed Mustafa Ali.
- Assisting some of the largest banks in Pakistan with various issues surrounding the outsourcing of workers.
- Advising some of the largest banks in Pakistan on issues relating to a pension increase for some retirees ordered by the Supreme Court of Pakistan.
- Representing Pakistan Telecommunication Employees Trust in various cases regarding pension and retirement benefits for the former employees of Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL).
- Acting for Shaheen Airport Services (a Shaheen Foundation project) in a challenge to the constitutionality of a major piece of legislation on industrial relations.
- Representing a client in litigation initiated by an employee over the termination of employment.
The employment practice at Qureshi Law Associates is part of its corporate and commercial offering. The group has a solid track record of advising on a myriad of employment and labour law issues. It is particularly known for its employee benefits advice and is skilled at advising on employment contracts, policies and manuals, as well as on incentive and bonus plans. Other areas of expertise include advising on labour law policies. Basharat Ali Mehmood is at the helm.
Syed Zafar ul Hassan Ghilani vs Pakistan Railways
Muhammad Yousaf vs Govt Of Punjab
Dr Mudassar Hussain vs Govt Punjab
Naeem Ahmad vs Pakistan Railways
Mian Khalid Farooq vs Govt Of Punjab
Asma vs Ministry Of Education
Muhammad Sabir vs Ministry Of Petroleum
Syed Faisal Shah vs Ministry Of Petroleum
Javed Shabir Awan vs DG FIA
Chairman National Insurance Company vs Workers NIC
Malik Shafiq vs Chairman Sui Gas
Muhammad Samhi ul Zaman vs Deputy Commissioner Toba Tek Sing
Muhammad Abdullah Abrar vs Govt Of Punjab
Attiq Ul Rehman vs Deputy Commissioner Govt Of Punjab
Nadeem Abbas vs Inspector General Punjab
- Advising Fazal Paper Mills on various labour laws.
- Representing various individual clients in court proceedings.
- Advising a corporate client on various issues including the novation of existing employment contracts.
- Advised a client on various matters including the review of its employee contracts, provident funds and worker welfare funds.
- Advised a client on a corporate acquisition which included advising on employment-related matters.