Akhund Forbes fields a capable and experienced team that advises on the full array of labour and employment matters to local, national and international clients. It has been active in drafting HR policies in accordance with Pakistan’s labour laws and has been busy working in conjunction with a number of international law firms on local employment law matters. Sahar Iqbal heads the team and is a well-respected practitioner.
Labour and employment in Pakistan
‘Its advice is cleanly presented, eminently readable and delivered always on time and, crucially, it manages all that while being precisely to the point. The scale of the project with which we have engaged the firm requires laser-like focus on a specific legal area and provides little room for error or deviation from the project specification‘.
‘We require regular updates on the state of the law in Pakistan and Sahar Iqbal keeps us abreast of developments around the clock, finding not only changes to the legal regime as they happen but marshalling her legal understanding to spotlight early initiatives that are likely to lead to change’.
‘Knowledge of the labour laws of Pakistan and how to deal with court cases. The individuals have sound knowledge of the labour laws of Pakistan and they guide us in best possible way‘.
MCB-Arif Habib Savings and Investments Limited
DLA Piper Middle East LLP
UBL Fund Managers Limited
China Power Generation Hub Company
Saudi Research Publishing Company
Media Arabia Pvt Limited
Allied Advertising LLC
Cialfo Pte Ltd
Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Advised its client in relation to various provisions of labour and employment law relating to payments to employees from a workers’ participation fund and workers’ welfare fund.
- Advising its client, almost on a daily basis, on a wide range of labour law and employment law matters, employment agreements and other employment matters.
- Advising its client, almost on a daily basis, on a wide range of labour law and employment matters, employment agreements and various other matters.
Axis Law Chambers
Axis Law Chambers advises national and international companies on the full spectrum of employment matters from social security to payroll and workers’ welfare obligations. The team is also recommended for its experience in advising on employment benefits, termination issues as well as assisting with labour inspections. In addition it is skilled at representing clients before labour tribunals. Mian Tariq Hassan routinely advises on compliance issues for major companies. Ali Zahid Rahim has been busy advising various companies on cross-border labour and employment matters in addition to a myriad of other issues such as collective dismissals, expat postings and corporate reorganisations.
‘The team at Axis Law Chambers consists of energetic young professionals, upholding exceedingly high professional standards while maintaining efficiency and attention to detail. The quality of legal services provided and dependable client handling make this firm stand out from others in the market‘.
‘The range of partners and associates come together to provide well rounded solutions to legal problems. Members of the team are always available to provide support in a swift and timely fashion. Our experience with Axis is comparable to that provided by reputable international law firms‘.
‘The Partners at Axis Law Chambers bring together a diverse range of professional experience under one roof. Mian Tariq Hassan provided incisive and timely support on contractual matters. His knowledge and foresight in this area would make him an asset for any business seeking advice on legal matters relating to human resources‘.
Oxford Policy Management UK
Oxford Policy Management Pakistan
Centre for Economic Research Pakistan
- Advised Oxford Policy Management UK on various labour and employment law issues that arose as a result of its restructuring of its employment policies including advising on reduction of salaries, enforced leaves, reduction in working hours, end of service benefits etc.
- Advised Levi’s Strauss & Co. Pakistan on various legal requirements in Pakistan such as end of service benefits and issues related to implementing changes in HR policies.
- Advised Centre for Economic Research in Pakistan on the procedural requirements for dealing with any complaints under the Protection Against Harassment of Women at the Workplace Act, 2010.
Yousaf Amanat & Associates is engaged mostly by companies that are headquartered outside Pakistan and want specialised local law advice. In addition it has handled several contentious labour law matters for local clients. It regularly advises mining companies, oil and gas companies, donor agencies in addition to telecom companies, banks and Government bodies. The team is praised for its 'timely and accurate responses'. Islamabad-based Yousaf Amanat is the firm’s managing partner and is an Advocate of the High Courts of Pakistan. In Karachi Noman Zahid regularly acts for various banks and shipping lines.
‘We particularly recommend Mr Amanat for his legal acumen‘.
‘It has a dedicated team. Expertise of subject matter and it provides responses on time. Providing out of box solutions and almost round the clock availability‘.
‘The team provides legal support, which is far more than legal advice. Proactive, taking into account all the different aspects and context. Yousaf Amanat is a very involved and knowledgeable person, he goes the extra mile for you and is always available 24/7‘.
Adva Comm UK
Agility International Logistics Singapore
E & Y UAE
HMD Global Oy (Nokia Phones)
China Railway Construction
Colt Resources Middle East
Marriot International Hotel
Voluntary Services Overseas UK
ANZ Partners routinely works with major international law firms on local law issues. Under the direction of Nabel Rehman and Aqeel Malik the practice is skilled at drafting employment manuals and employee handbooks and has also been working with some embassies on various labour law issues.
Save The Children (SCF) Pakistan
Pakistan Humanitarian Forum
Center for International Private Enterprise
Pakistan China Institute (PCI)
Can Asian Synergies (Private) Limited
Yu-Fei Pelagic Fisheries (Private) Limited
Pelagic Fisheries (Private) Limited
Energy Solutions And Green Power (Private) Limited
PCI Holding (Private) Limited
Sochain Zara (SZ)
AR Foods (Private) Limited
AR Cash & Carry
Madina Cash & Carry (MCC)
Ascendia (Private) Limited
Brighterlite Pakistan (Private) Limited
DM Textile Mills
The Educators, Rawalpindi
Elahi Cotton Mills Limited
Enekon (Private) Limited
Espresso Express, Restaurant
EU Delegation to Pakistan
Pak Steel Mills
District 6, Restaurant
Embassy of France
Kohistan Developers & Builders
Embassy of Austria
International Republican Institute (IRI)
Royal Danish Embassy
Islamabad Diagnostics Center (IDC)
La Montana Restaurant, Islamabad
MH Cab (Private) Limited
Pamir Marco Polo (Private) Limited
Pakistan Nursing Council
Tianjin China Petroleum Drilling Company Limited (TCPDC)
UCH Power Limited
Western Global Services (Private) Limited
Westeren Services (Private) Limited
SKT Welfare (INGO)
Terres Des Hommes (INGO)
Hanns Seidel Foundation (INGO)
International Medical Corp (INGO)
Fight Fortress (Private) Limited
Begum Nusrat Maqbool
Leads Pharma (PVT) Ltd
Attock Refinery Limited
Vety Care (PVT) Ltd
Canyon Enterprises (PVT) Ltd
La Montana Restaurant
Khalid Anwer & Co. is strong on employment matters and continues to advise several major banks on complex employment issues. It is also skilled at advising former employees of large companies on their pension and retirement benefits. The agile team has been busy too helping employers in defending some large class-action cases. Raashid Anwer and Syed Mustafa Ali head the department.
‘Khalid Anwer & Co. is undoubtedly one of the most renowned and leading law firms of Pakistan as the senior partner Mr. Khalid Anwer is amongst the pioneers of the legal profession‘.
‘The team has unmatched legal expertise. M/S Khalid Anwer & Co. has always maintained a high level of success rate and the lawyers have offered out of the box legal solutions‘.
‘We generally engage with Barrister Syed Mustafa Ali and we have been very impressed with his professionalism and hard work. He has always respectfully dealt with our queries and cleared all our doubts as a client and has a very quick response time. He is very thorough in his work, well read and always up to date with the latest amendments in laws and recent judgements. We as a client are extremely satisfied with the quality of work we are receiving‘.
Pakistan Telecommunication Company Ltd.
Pakistan Telecommunication Employees Trust
National Bank of Pakistan
The employment practice at Qureshi Law Associates forms an integral part of its corporate and commercial offering. As a result the team is highly rated for its due diligence work on corporate and commercial transactions and has an excellent track record of advising on a variety of employment and labour matters. Strengths also lie in advising on employee benefits as well as employment contracts, policies and manuals. It has expertise too in advising on incentive and bonus plans as well as advising on a whole host of complex labour law issues. Basharat Ali Mehmood and Abid Ali are at the helm.
Syed Zafar ul Hassan Ghilani vs Pakistan Railways)
Muhammad Yousaf vs Govt Of Punjab)
Dr Mudassar Hussain vs Govt Punjab)
Naeem Ahmad vs Pakistan Railways
Mian Khalid Farooq vs Govt Of Punjab
Asma vs Ministry Of Education
Muhammad Sabir vs Ministry Of Petroleum
Syed Faisal Shah vs Ministry Of Petroleum
Javed Shabir Awan vs DG FIA)
- Advised Hanergy Global Solar Pakistan on the formulation of a handbook for employment for use by Hanergy employees.
- Acted as counsel for the seller Solution de Energy on various employment matters including conducting a substantial due diligence exercise.
- Providing advice to an UAE company that is interested in acquiring and expanding a chain of petrol stations throughout Pakistan – the advice includes providing detailed employment advice about existing employees and other complex employment matters.
ABS & Co. Advocates and Corporate Counsels has an excellent team that advises on both contentious and non-contentious employment matters and covers the legal issues that arise on public/government employment contracts in addition to issues that arise in private employment. It advises on a wide spectrum of matters from industrial action and employee benefits through to drafting labour and HR policies. The Islamabad office has been busy advising on major pieces of litigation on employment and labour law matters too. Heads of team Ahmer Bilal Soofi and Imran Ahmed Malik are well-regarded.
United Bank Limited (UBL)
National Bank of Pakistan
Bank of Punjab
Punjab Skills Development Fund
Punjab Population Innovation Fund
Punjab Institute of Fashion & Design
Water and Sanitation Agency (WASA)
- Advised McDonalds in settling multiple tort claims under occupational safety laws arising out of an accidental fire at one of its restaurants.
- Advised the Ministry of Inter-Provincial Coordination on the devolution of the Employees Old-Age Benefit Institution and Workers Welfare Fund following the 18th Amendment.
- Advised China Three Gorges Investment Company in drafting its internal HR policy in line with the applicable labour laws of Pakistan.
Under the leadership of Faresa Jafarey Ahsan at Liaquat Merchant Associates the department is well-equipped to advise domestic and international clients on all employment, labour law and human resource matters. It frequently advises on local regulatory requirements and continues to represent companies, employees and civil servants before the High Courts, Labour Courts and Service Tribunals. It counts many local and international companies as clients and receives a steady flow of instructions from some international law firms.
FINCA Microfinance Global Services LLC
Puma Energy Pakistan Limited
Mckinsey and Co. – Dubai
- Routinely advises a client of a major international law firm on its operations in Pakistan and on various employment matters.
- Advising Mckinsey on matters relating to standardising its employment contracts as well as the termination of the services of various employees with a special focus on the impact on employment matters due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Reviewed various engagement letters / contracts of employment / offer letters of employees at various levels for Engro Corporation.
Raja Mohammed Akram Co.
Raja Mohammed Akram Co. has a strong team that is adept at advising on all aspects of labour and employment law in addition to compensation and benefits for employees. Its lawyers are experienced at advising on matters relating to the applicability of the Workers' Welfare Fund Act, 2019, the Companies Profits (Workers’ Participation) Act, 1968, and the Workers’ Welfare Fund Ordinance, 1971. Asad Ladha is recommended along with Umer Akram Chaudhry who routinely advises multinationals on their obligations to the workforce.
MCB Bank Limited
Bank of Punjab
Nishat Chunian Power Limited
Nishat Power Limited
Lalpir Power Limited
Pakgen Power Limited
MOL Pakistan Oil & Gas Co. B.V.
McKinsey & Company, Inc. Yes
House Building Finance Company Limited
Hong Kong Hui Hua Global Technology Limited
Trust for Democratic Education and Accountability
- Advised Symantec Corporation on various employment and labour matters, including the termination and re-hiring of employees arising from the sale of the company.
- Advised MCB Bank Limited on the employment and labour laws in Sindh, specifically on the tax implications under the provident fund rules under the Income Tax Ordinance 2001.
- Advised Nishat Chunian Power Limited on the applicability of the Workers’ Welfare Fund Act, 2019, the Companies Profits (Workers’ Participation) Act, 1968, and the Workers’ Welfare Fund Ordinance, 1971.