Addleshaw Goddard distinguishes itself in landmark infrastructure developments and oil and gas projects in Oman and across the Middle East. It is also prominent in areas such as water, power and industrials. Roger Byrne leads the group, whose diverse client roster includes government bodies, developers, vessel owners, lenders and contractors. The practice has been bolstered by the arrival of Alexander Sarac from Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP, where he led the Middle East energy group. Sarac has extensive experience of large PPP projects. The team leverages its regional presence to handle large cross-border matters across Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and the UAE. John Podgore is a name to note in the Dubai office.
Projects and energy in Oman
Other key lawyers:
Alexander Sarac; James Shaw
‘Addleshaw Goddard’s projects and energy team in Oman is excellent. Within their team, Roger Byrne provides outstanding leadership, as well as undertaking a substantial amount of work.’
‘In addition, Roger has built up an excellent team around him that has within the space of a few years (from when Addleshaw Goddard first set up in Oman) established Addleshaw Goddard as one of the leading international law firms in Oman.’
Bank Muscat SAOG
Ras Al Hadd Luxury Services SPC
Amakan Sohar LLC
Khazaen Economic City LLC
Gulf International Poultry Farms LLC
Bank Nizwa SAOG and Alizz Islamic Bank SAOC
Mizuho Bank Ltd
Standard Chartered Bank
Clifford Capital Pte Ltd
Sohar International Bank SAOG
- Advising the Bank Muscat SAOG led syndicate for the $112m construction finance facility to Renaissance Duqm Accommodation Company SAOC for the expansion of the permanent accommodation for contractors facility at Duqm and the associated security package.
- Advising Ras Al Hadd Luxury Services SPC (the joint venture between Qatari Diar and Omran) the developers of the 5 star, Chedi Hotel Resort and staff accommodation at Ras Al Hadd on its $86m hospitality construction finance facility project from National Bank of Oman SAOG and the associated security package.
- Acting for BankDhofar SAOG on the project financing for the Oman Tank Terminal Company facility for $350m and associated security package for the oil and gas tank storage facility at Duqm adjacent to the refinery plant owned by Oman Oil Company.
Al Busaidy, Mansoor Jamal & Co's projects team works closely with practitioners in the banking and M&A departments to handle mandates for clients in the oil and gas and wider energy sector. The firm is also increasingly instructed in PPP projects. Mansoor Jamal Malik has over three decades of experience in matters concerning water infrastructure. Ardeshir D Patel has expertise in corporate finance and capital markets transactions.
Mansoor Jamal Malik
Other key lawyers:
Marcus Pery; Ardeshir D Patel; Ravinder Singh; Robert Booth
‘AMJ is the most knowledgeable and easy to work with law firm in Oman. The combination of these skills (knowledge and accessibility) make this the go-to firm for many sponsors and lenders in Oman. They are prompt, helpful and accurate.’
‘We enjoy the support of Mansoor Jamal and Marcus Perry. They are both knowledgeable and available to offer creative solutions.’
‘I’ve found the firm very easy to work with on any issue large or small and extremely reliable.’
‘AMJ is the most consistent performers of the Omani law firms. AMJ has been lenders or sponsors’ counsel on almost all of the project financings in Oman since I started working in Oman more than 15 years ago. The firm’s knowledge of precedent and practice in the energy sector is second to none.’
‘Mansoor Malik leads the team but is extremely hands-on. He is responsive and you can be assured of getting insightful advice on the most complex issues. Marcus Pery is another partner that we have worked with for many years on project finance matters in the energy sector. Again, he gives strong, commercial advice in a responsive manner.’
‘Mansoor J Malik always provides advice to the highest level.’
‘Best local firm in terms of expertise. Highly service-oriented.’
Electricity Holding Company SAOC (Nama Holding)
ENGIE Middle East, South & Central Asia and Turkey
Musandam Power Company SAOG
SMN Power Holding Company SAOG
Shinas Generating Company SAOC
Barka Desalination Company SAOC
Ad-Dhahirah Generating Company S.A.O.C
Shams Ad-Dhahirah Generating Company
Al Rusail Power Company
Al Kamil Power Company
Dhofar Generating Company SAOG
Bank Muscat SAOG – Meethaq Islamic Financing
United Power Company SAOC
Al Suwadi Power Company SAOG
- Acted for DFC with respect to a proposed loan of up to $300m to PetroTel Oman LLC to fund development of an offshore oil and gas field and its onshore extensions, which are located in Musandam, Oman.
- Acted for Nama Holding on the divestment of 49% of its shares in Oman Electricity Transmission Company SAOC to State Grid International Development Ltd, China and currently acting on the divestment of 70% shares in Muscat Electricity Distribution Company SAOC to a strategic investor.
- Acted for PTTEPP respect of acquisition of $2.6bn comprising of a 20 per cent interest in in Block 61 held by British Petroleum (BP) in the Sultanate of Oman.
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP (in association with Al Rashdi, Al Juma and Ewing Advocates and Legal Consultants)
The projects and energy group at CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP (in association with Al Rashdi, Al Juma and Ewing Advocates and Legal Consultants) is praised for ‘working seamlessly and effectively’. It has considerable strengths handling local and cross-border energy, utilities and infrastructure mandates. Mary Allan remains a key name for projects in Oman and co-heads the group with oil and gas expert Ben Ewing. The team acts for clients such as exploration companies, state-owned entities and private sector enterprises. Its work covers procurement, investments, operational matters and contracts, among other areas. Senior associate Charles Dolphin advises on high-value projects across the Middle East, particularly Saudi Arabia.
Mary Allan; Ben Ewing
Other key lawyers:
‘CMS very effectively aligns its most experienced resources alongside younger talent to provide dynamic, reliable and informed advice to the client. Their support is highly proactive, responsive and dependable. Further, they are very much team players in the context of the overall project, working seamlessly and effectively with other external professional advisers and internal stakeholders, to ensure project momentum and success.’
‘We regard our advisers at CMS as people you can depend upon for pragmatic, insightful, customer-orientated advice. They are nice people and pleasant to deal with.’
‘Mary Allan has a depth of experience and knowledge which makes her formidable in project negotiations. Her politeness, calm and composure never falters, even when others are losing theirs.’
‘Charles Dolphin is an agile, first-class lawyer. He is responsive and he delivers. Our trust and confidence in CMS grew quickly in our first project working with them (a major infrastructure project), to the extent that they rapidly became our go-to firm for other project-related matters.’
Ministry of Energy, Saudi Arabia
Oman Power and Water Procurement Company SAOC
Majis Industrial Services SAOC
Port of Duqm Company SAOC
Petroleum Development Oman LLC
Dubai Electricity and Water Authority
BTA International Food Beverage Services Industry and Travel Joint Stock Company (BTA)
Petrogas Exploration & Production LLC (Petrogas)
Arabian Gas and Oil Development Company LLC (AGODCO)
Abraj Energy Services SAOC
Weir Solutions LLC
Daleel Petroleum Co. LLC
PowerChina Huadong Engineering Corporation Limited
- Advising Oman Power and Water Procurement Company SAOC OPWP on its procurement of three new IWPs.
- Advising Petroleum Development Oman on its procurement of Oman’s first utility scale Wind IPP.
- Advising the Ministry of Energy, Saudi Arabia on Round 3 of its renewable energy programme, procuring a combined 1.2GW of solar generation capacity.
At Dentons, the projects and energy practice has a notable footprint in the oil and gas, petrochemicals, power, and infrastructure sectors. The team is active in large domestic and international project financings, project structuring and contentious energy matters, among other mandates. Practice head Andrew Figgins has extensive experience in the oil and gas sector and advises leading Omani companies on project structuring and acquisitions. He is supported by senior associate Yasser Taqi and Budoor Moosa. The group is also able to leverage its strength in construction and engineering to handle both front-end and back-end development projects.
Other key lawyers:
Yasser Taqi; Budoor Moosa
‘Andrew Figgins is an institution. He is an ex-BP GC and the quality shines through. He is extremely practical and vastly experienced. He will not make a mountain out of a molehill and will deal with even quite challenging issues with efficiency and aplomb. Highly recommended. The best oil & gas lawyer in Oman.’
‘Good depth of experience and in the Oman market one of the firms with the longest presence in the region.’
‘Andrew Figgins – very pro-active and keeps you constantly informed. Highly experienced oil and gas lawyer – and it shows. His advice is always pragmatic and commercial and he is always thinking about how to make their services more cost-effective for the client.‘
‘Strongest law firm of Oman, by far. Combines broad practice with in-depth knowledge. The team there – in particular Andrew Figgins – combines in-house GC experience with deep knowledge and the right relations.’
‘For energy-related items, we use Andrew Figgins. He combines in-house GC experience with deep SME experience. That is a rare combination at the level that Andy displays it, and exceptionally useful for GC’s like myself.’
Petroleum Development Oman (PDO)
BP Exploration (Epsilon) Ltd (BP)
Ministry of Housing and Urban Planning
Freepoint Commodities Singapore Pte Ltd
Maysan Properties SAOC
- Advised Petroleum Development Oman (PDO) and the Ministry of Energy and Minerals on a complete restructuring of the Government of Oman’s interests in the critical Block 6 Concession and in PDO.
- Advised BP the sale of its 20% interest in Block 61 in Oman, the largest tight gas development in the Middle East, to PTTEP the national oil company of Thailand for $2.6bn
- Advising the Government, acting through the Ministry of Housing and Urban Planning (previously the Supreme Council of Planning) on drafting and negotiating a development agreement for the country’s first ever affordable housing development.
Led by Ali Naveed Arshad in Muscat, the practice at Mohammed Al Ruqaishi Law Firm is able to advise on the full life-cycle of large oil and gas, water and industrial projects. It has demonstrable strengths in project finance transactions, particularly Islamic financing for development projects under Istisna agreements. Hashim Shekhuna handles commercial agreements and inward investment matters.
Ali Naveed Arshad
Other key lawyers:
Oman Sugar Refinery Company LLC
Black Gold Integrated Solutions Co LLC
Nordic Oilfield Technologies LLC
AZ Engineers & Partners LLC
Nham Energy LLC
Value Added Oilfield Services LLC
Consolidated Contractors Company / CC Energy
Oman National Investments Development Company SAOC (Tanmia)
- Advised Oman Sugar Refinery on Usufruct Agreement, Engineering Procurement Construction Contract and Facility Agreement (as its borrower counsel) on a €235m ECA project finance facility.
- Advised Black Gold Integrated Solutions Co LLC as project company local counsel on its project development and EPC arrangements and Istisna Agreement.
- Advised AZ Engineers & Partners LLC on the joint venture arrangements relating to the special purpose joint venture company established to execute the Adawnib Dam project awarded to the joint venture of Portex-Eksen-NTF-AZ Engineers.
Thamer Al Shahry and Jeremy Pooley co-head the practice at Said Al-Shahry & Partners (SASLO), which handles projects in areas such as water, renewable energy, utilities and power generation. It is also active in upstream and downstream oil and gas projects, PPP projects and brownfield projects across the Middle East.
Thamer Al- Shahry; Jeremy Pooley
Other key lawyers:
GS Inima Environment S.A.
- Advised the sponsors led by GS Inima Environment S.A. in relation to the Independent Water Project (IWP) V at Barka.