Projects and energy in Oman
Al Busaidy, Mansoor Jamal & Co is 'deeply knowledgeable in regards to Omani law matters' and 'provides commercially considered advice'. Practice head Mansoor Jamal Malik is 'the ultimate professional' with 'strong ties to Muscat' and 'a vast network that he leverages to provide a full suite service'. He recently advised Marubeni on the development of an independent solar power plant. Newly promoted partner Asad Qayyum is 'very strong in debt capital markets'.
‘Competent, diligent team with focus, shared skills and expertise. They have expertise in a variety of disciplines.’
‘Has a significant advantage over other firms in size and in terms of continuity of service from individual lawyers’.
‘Armughan Ashfaq has great communication skills, is quite proactive by reaching out to us in advance on issues that may impact us. He pays attention to detail, we view him more of our business partner rather an external legal advisor.’
Abraj Energy Services
ACWA Power Projects
Centralised Utilities Company LLC
Duqm Refinery & Petrochemical Industries Co. LLC
Electricity Holding Company SAOC
ENGIE Middle East, South & Central Asia and Turkey
G S Energy Korea
Mineral Development Oman
Muscat National Development &Investment Company SAOC
Oman Gas Company
Oman Global Logistics Group
Oman National Investments Development
Oman Oil Company
Oman Oil Refineries & Petroleum Industries Company
Oman Rail Company
Oman Tank Terminal Co. LLC
Rural Areas Electricity Company
Sogex Oman Co. LLC
- Advised the lenders to the Salalah IWP Project Company in respect of a new independent water project in Salalah to be set up with a total cost of $156m.
- Advised Duqm Refinery and Petrochemical Industries Company LLC on the $4.61bn financing from local and international banks.
- Assisted Tanmia and IDO with the establishment of a company to own, operate and develop Oman’s first digital oilfield platform, which provides innovative services to improve the efficiency of oil and gas company operations.
Dentons' projects team is led by Andrew Figgins, who for some is considered 'the best oil and gas specialist in Oman by a margin'. Figgins is 'a very experienced former in-house counsel for an oil major, and it shows'. His key highlights include advising Total on its upstream concession with Shell and Oman Oil Company to produce natural gas from the massive Barik formation in Oman’s central desert. He also assisted a consortium of lenders as Oman legal counsel with the $4.61bn financing of the Duqm Refinery Project. Figgins regularly receives support on these major mandates from senior associate James Lansdell and associate Yasser Taqi.
‘Very practical, real world expertise.’
ACWA Power Global Services
Latham & Watkins
Oman Oil Company Exploration and Production
Oman Power and Water Procurement
Oman Society for Petroleum Services
Lightsource Renewable Energy and X-elio1
Centralised Utilities Company
Oman Investment Fund
- Advising Acwa Power on Oman’s first industrial scale solar independent power project.
- Advising Oman Oil Company Exploration and Production on the asset sale of a 10% interest in the gas development in Oman, Khazzan to Petronas.
- Assisting multiple bidders with Oman’s solar independent power projects.
CMS Cameron McKenna LLP
CMS Cameron McKenna LLP team has been significantly strengthened by the arrival of Mary Allan and associate Charles Dolphin from Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP. The duo recently advised Oman Power and Water Procurement Company on its procurement of Oman’s first waste-to-energy independent power project. Another key figure is Ben Ewing, who advises on energy and real estate projects. One major highlight of his was assisting Al Osool Real Estate Development Company with "Pearl Muscat", a major tourism and residential complex.
Oman Power and Water Procurement Company
Petroleum Development Oman
Dubai Electricity and Water Authority
KCA Deutag Drilling Gmbh
Oman Tourism Development Company
Petrogas E&P LLC
Abraj Energy Services
- Advising PDO on its procurement of Oman’s first utility scale IPP.
- Advising Oman Power and Water Procurement Company on the design and first implementation (i.e. for a 2022 commercial operation date) of a more flexible OPWP procurement process for new independent electricity capacity and output.
- Assisted Oman Tourism Development Company with certain aspects of its development of Madinat Al Ifran.
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP's work is 'always above par' and it typically acts for major domestic entities on power, utility and telecoms projects. One recent example was its advice to Oman Broadband Company on the $230m financing of nationwide telecoms and fibre optic infrastructure. Notable names from the Muscat office include Alessandra Zingales and Leopold Zentner.
Oman Broadband Company SAOC
Rural Areas Electricity Company SAOC
Petroleum DevelopmentOman LLC
Dhofar Generating Company SAOC
National Pharmaceutical Industries SAOC
Mazoon Dairy Company SAOC
Oman Dates Packaging and Production Company SAOC
Al Fajar Al Alamia Co. SAOG
Minerals Development Oman SAOC
- Advised Oman Power and Water Procurement on the procurement of the $156m Salalah independent water project on a competitive bidding process.
- Assisted Petroleum Development Oman with the procurement of a solar independent power project in a competitive tendering process.
- Advising NPI on project-related issues with respect to the development of a secondary packaging and batching facility in Dubai.
Said Al-Shahry & Partners (SASLO) is particularly active in advising on water and desalination projects in the region. Alongside Graham Mouat, practice head Thamer Al Shahry recently advised the Spanish environmental consultancy GS Inima Environment on its bid for the development of the Barka Independent Water Plant. He also assisted Seven Seas Water Corporation with its bid for an independent water project at Khasab.
ACWA Power Barka SAOG
Al Asilah Desalination Company
Al Ghubra Power and Desalination Co.
Al Jizzi Transformers and Switchgears LLC
Dhofar Power Company
GS Inima Environment S.A. 1
GS Energy Corporation
Martin Engineering GmbH
Muscat Electricity Distribution
Oman Oil Marketing Company
Oman Oil Refineries and Petroleum Industries Company
Rural Areas Electricity Company
Seven Seas Water Corporation
Shell Oman Marketing Company
- Acting for Dhofar Power Company on the structuring and implementation of its debt management system (recovery and defaulter management services).
- Advised the Spanish environmental consultancy GS Inima Environment on its bid for the development of the Barka Independent Water Plant.
- Assisted Seven Seas Water Corporation with its bid for an independent water project at Khasab.