Insurance in Norway
BAHR’s insurance-focused practice regularly acts in high-profile international cases, and recently represented Protector Forsikring in an reinsurance dispute against Munich Re following the Grenfell Tower fire in London. The team also leads in the marine insurance market and counts Skuld and the Norwegian Hull Club as clients. Jan Jansen heads up the department and focuses on insurance disputes; other key individuals include marine insurance litigator Atle Skaldebø-Rød and Tarjei Thorkildsen, who has recently handled matters relating to ship and cargo damage, reinsurance issues and business interruption claims.
‘BAHR has a strength in advising on maritime insurance, understanding the underlying Norwegian insurance law, the Nordic Plan and P&I and FD&D Rules. BAHR has strong competence in disputes related to the same. On time delivery of very high quality advice.‘
‘Jan-Fredrik Rafen and Atle Skjaldebø-Rød both stand out for their knowledge of marine insurance and their appearance in court or before tribunals.’
Zurich Insurance Group
Norwegian Hull Club
Assuranceforeningen Skuld (Gjensidig)
DNB Livsforsikring ASA
Oslo Pensjonsforsikring ASA
Nordea Liv ASA
- Represented Protector Forsikring in a reinsurance dispute against Munich Re following the Grenfell Tower fire.
- Defending Skuld in the Mineral Libin direct action brought by SwissMarine and Gard relating to a collision in a Chinese port.
- Advised DNB Scandinavian Property Fund on establishing the first unleveraged property fund set up by a life insurance company as the cornerstone investor.
DLA Piper stands out in the market for its reinsurance and professional liability experience and counts a range of insurers and reinsurers as clients; Munich Re, AIG and Tryg are notable examples. Practice head Alexander Plows is dual-qualified in the UK and Norway and handles financial services, D&O, professional indemnity and warranty and indemnity insurance claims. The group also fields associate partner Camilla Wollan, who focuses on regulatory mandates, particularly cross-border financial services work; and litigators Are Hunskaar and associate partner Beate Vesterås . Lead lawyer Linn Kvade Rannekleiv is a specialist in auditors’ liability claims. Hugo-A. B Munthe-Kaas joined from Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS in 2020.
‘It was amazing to see the DLA Piper team in action across their London and Oslo offices. In Oslo, Alexander Plows and Linn Kvade Rannekleiv exhibited outstanding teamwork demonstrating DLA Piper’s ability to provide a superior legal service across countries/offices as well as across various specialist legal fields.’
‘The team is quick and accommodating, and handles big and complicated cases with ease.‘
‘It has been a terrific experience working with DLA Piper. In particular, Alex Plows has proven himself to be a brilliant reinsurance lawyer with whom you can break new legal ground.’
‘They have the necessary specialisation, while at the same time having generally good knowledge in several fields.‘
Liberty Mutual Insurance Europe Ltd
QBE European Operations
- Defended Munich Re in a property treaty reinsurance arbitration dispute against Protector Forsikring arising out of the Grenfell Tower fire, which centred on the interpretation of a surplus treaty between the insurer and the reinsurer.
- Assisting Brightstar International with the provision of a device protection programme to Telenor Norge.
- Defending Multiconsult in a professional liability claim relating to the construction of underground parking facilities and tennis courts on the roof of a building housing an insurance and risk management company.
Insurance boutique Advokatfirma Kogstad Lunde & Co acts for domestic and international insurers and reinsurers on the full range of insurance law, tort law and insurance litigation issues with expertise across D&O work, employers’ liability matters, life and health insurance claims, maritime insurance matters and product liability mandates. Terje Marthinsen heads up the personal injury team, Claus Krag Brynildsen is ‘one of the best insurance lawyers in Norway’ and name partner Trond Werner Lunde is ‘an approachable, straightforward adviser’. Eivind Kogstad retired.
‘This law firm carries a special status in the insurance community. Although not unique – there are a few others in this area. One of the elements that gives this practice an edge is that all lawyers have a work background in the insurance industry, and consequently a deeper understanding of the needs of the insurers.‘
‘Kogstad Lunde has a deep and undisputed understanding of the insurance market. Their commercial understanding combined with unparalleled legal expertise makes them a one of a kind in the Norwegian market for legal services to the insurance market.‘
‘Kogstad Lunde & Co are trustworthy and we can always trust them to represent us in the best way possible.‘
‘Kogstad Lunde & Co are specialised in insurance law and torts which makes them unique for handling big and complex claims in recourse. Experience and expertise are the key strengths for this firm. Compared to other suppliers for similar services they have the ability to act and make things happen.‘
‘Trond Werner Lunde is an approachable straight forward advisor with a great insight and an experienced overview of even the most complex cases.‘
‘Our claims mostly get handled by Tor Morten Austerheim. He is meticulous and always available for consultation. We also have some experience with some of the other lawyers in the firm, and we are always pleased with the handling of our cases/requirements.‘
‘Claus Brynhildsen’s knowledge of the legislation and industry is hard to match. He provides detailed and good argumentation.‘
‘We would specially recommend Terje Martinsen and Claus Brynildsen for their outstanding performance and knowledge of the business.‘
‘I have personally worked a lot with associate Per Kristian Lundkvist. Of the many associates I work with he is the one I value the most. He is unique in the way that he quickly understands what I am after and does not waste time on anything irrelevant. He gives practical advice and understands what we need help with and what we don`t need help with. He is also excellent in his field and I always trust his work and opinions.‘
The Norwegian Government / The National Complaint
Board for Health Services
Jernbanepersonalets Bank og Forsikring
The Norwegian Motor Insurers’ Bureau (TFF)
The Norwegian Government / Attorney General / The
Norwegian Labours and Welfare Organisation
The Norwegian Occupational Injury Insurers’ Bureau
Knif Trygghet Forsikring
INSR Insurance Group
Randall & Quilter
Norsk Hussopp Forsikring
AXA Partners SAS
Dual Corporate Risks Limited
The Norwegian Auditor’s Association / Aegis / C. J.
Chubb European Group Ltd Sweden
Chubb European Group Ltd Norway
Allianz Global Corporate and Speciality SE
HCC International Insurance Company PLC
Tokio Marine Kiln
- Representing Protector Forsikring as building and liability insurer of the owner in matters arising from the Grenfell Tower fire in London.
- Acting for HCC International Insurance and other reinsurers in a dispute with Storebrand Forsikring relating to the Amenas terrorist attack and hostage crisis in 2013.
- Acting for Tryg Forsikring in a recourse claim against the producer of a bathroom fan which has caused more than 30 house fires.
Andreas Meidell leads the department at Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS, which is a key name for marine insurance work; the group recently represented Norwegian Hull Club in a total loss matter relating to a vessel detention in Nigeria. The practice also advises on non-marine insurance, liability and recovery, and regulatory and corporate insurance work for its insurer client base. Henrik Hagberg is singled out for his oil services and shipping expertise, Tore Mydske acts for financial institutions, Trond Hatland is the key contact in Bergen.
Den norske Krigsforsikring for Skib
Norwegian Hull Club
AXA Corporate S.A.
- Representing Norwegian Hull Club in a total loss claim under Marine Hull and War Risk policies.
- Acting for SwissMarine and Gard in a direct action against Skuld, which has been admitted to the Supreme Court.
- Representing Axa Corporate Solutions in a Supreme Court case relating to a damaged umbilical cable for a remotely operated underwater vehicle.
At Wiersholm, the team acts for policyholders and insurers on a range of marine, D&O, professional indemnity and regulatory mandates and is regularly instructed on pure insurance disputes. Hans Kenneth Viga-Gerhardsen heads up the practice, and Erik Blaker leads the marine insurance group; Blaker’s expertise encompasses wet shipping work, arrest issues, salvage claims and collision matters. Other key practitioners include Kjersti Trøbråten, who is a regulatory expert, and litigator Olav Perland.
Hans Kenneth Viga-Gerhardsen
‘Wiersholm’s team has a strong regulatory and practical understanding of the insurance sector that is essential for ensuring swift and relevant advice. They are recommendable for both sparring and on day-to-day matters as well as for handling complex issues.‘
‘Hans Kenneth Viga-Gerhardsen is highly competent and quick to see the relevant questions at hand from both an insurance regulatory and insurance contractual perspective. He has good insight into the industry and a clear understanding of how it operates.‘
AIG Europe S.A
AIG Europe UK Limited
Codan Forsikring NUF
Allianz Corporate & Specialty
AXA XL Insurance SE
QBE Europe SA/NV
W. R. Berkley Insurance Nordic NUF
- Acting for AIG Europe as underwriters of CHC Helikopter Service in claims relating to the Turøy helicopter accident in 2016.
- Defending BDO and its liability insurer If against a claim brought by the bankruptcy estate of Reinertsen
- Acting for Møller Baltic Import in obtaining a large insurance pay out following a massive hailstorm accident which caused extensive damage to its stock.
Wikborg Rein’s insurance practice covers contentious, transactional and regulatory matters across marine and non-marine insurance work. ‘Skilled negotiator’ Anders Færden is global head of the firm’s insurance practice and Gaute Gjelsten leads the firm's shipping offshore group. Clients also praise marine insurance litigator Herman Steen, who ’always has a practical solution to solve a tricky issue’. The department’s client roster encompasses insurance and reinsurance companies, captives and mutual policyholders and insurance intermediaries. Christoffer Bergene moved in-house at Danske Bank.
Anders Færden; Gaute Gjelsten
‘Wikborg Rein’s team has a solid understanding of insurance and is highly competent.‘
‘Knowledgeable within maritime law & Nordic Marine Insurance Plan, always available and keen to support in any situation.‘
‘Anders W. Færden is highly recommended. He is swift, available, a skilled negotiator and particularly strong in insurance contract law and general contract law.‘
‘Gaute Gjelsten and Nina Hanevold Sandvik are both very competent and good team workers.‘
‘Anders Færden is analytic in the build up to a court case and persuasive in front of the judge.‘
‘I work mostly with Herman Steen. He is a very bright guy and quite experienced for his age. He always has a practical solution to solve a tricky issue.‘
Assuranceforeningen Gard/Gard Marine & Energy Ltd.
Norwegian Hull Club
Norse Forsikringsmegling AS
RiverStone Insurance (UK) Limited
- Acting for Assuranceforeningen Gard-Gjensidig in a disruption claim relating to the grounding and re-floating of an oil rig in US waters.
- Acted for Gard Marine & Energy as loss of hire insurers in a coverage dispute following the grounding of a cruise vessel.
- Acted for XL Insurance (now Axa XL) as excess liability insurer in a claim brought by a bank against a law firm, lawyers and liability insurers regarding advice given relating to the leasing of offshore helicopters.
Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS
Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS’ insurance practice has continued its expansion beyond its traditional strength in marine and transport insurance with recent highlights also including property insurance claims, professional liability work, product liability issues, regulatory mandates and transactional matters. The group acts for policyholders and insurers and regularly assists domestic and international insurance companies; key examples include Tryg, WR Berkley Insurance Nordic NUF and Zurich. Jon Andersen leads the team, which also counts litigator Joar Heide, product liability expert Kyrre Kielland and Ole André Oftebro, who handles product and professional liability claims, as key practitioners.
‘My assessment of the firm is that they are absolutely first rate in the fields of insurance, maritime law and also aquaculture, particularly from an insurance and transportation angle. Jon Andersen and his team provide an excellent service that is responsive, cost effective and commercial and they are real experts in their fields.’
‘They have a unique understanding of issues related to product liabilities. Here they are much better than others we have used.‘
‘Jon Andersen is worthy of great praise in the advice and assistance he provides to our clients and the service he provides to his own clients in the Norwegian maritime and insurance market. He clearly understands his clients legal and commercial needs very well. Jon is available at all hours and is very practical and commercial and he is our go-to Norwegian maritime lawyer.‘
‘They are friendly and extremely knowledgeable. They are a good team that works together on issues when needed. We know that no matter the extent of the case, it is in the best hands.‘
‘Morally and ethically impeccable, with a strong focus on the subject matter. Kyrre Kielland in particular has impressed us.‘
‘I have worked with Kyrre Kielland and Joar Heide. Mr Heide’s comprehensive experience enables him to provide creative solutions to complex questions. Mr Kielland knows how to “operationate” complex law to day-to-day business, leaving us compliant with the rules and regulation relevant to our business and, further, leaving us to rightfully ignore rules and regulations that are not relevant.‘
Tryg Forsikring NUF
W.R. Berkley Insurance Nordic NUF
Codan Forsikring NUF
Nemi Forsikring AS
MOWI Markets Norway AS
Gjensidige Forsikring ASA
KLP Skadeforsikring AS
Zurich Insurance plc
XL Catlin / Catlin Europe SE
HDI Global SE
Help Forsikring AS
- Acting for Zurich Insurance and a lawyer in a case relating to the leasing and financing of helicopters and the advice provided by the lawyer.
- Acting for Gjensidige Forsikring in liability and compensation claims arising from a cruise ship collision into a quay.
- Advising the City Court of Oslo on the establishment of a limitation fund following the grounding of the vessel ‘Full City’ on the South coast of Norway in 2009.
Advokatfirmaet Schjødt is recognised for its insurance regulatory and transactional capacity and regularly acts for insurers, reinsurers, pension funds, intermediaries and corporate policyholders on cross-border mandates and product design and development projects. The team also acts in marine and non-marine claims, an area recently strengthened following the recruitment of Øyvind Gravdal from an in-house position. Klaus Henrik Wiese-Hansen leads the practice, which also draws on the expertise of litigators Per Magne Ristvedt and Amund Bjøranger Tørum.
Klaus Henrik Wiese-Hansen
Zurich Insurance plc (Ireland), Swedish Branch
SEB Life International Assurance Company DAC
Euro Accident Livsförsäkring AB
FOLKSAM ömsesidig sakförsäkring
Hyperion Insurance Group Limited
Berkley European Underwriters
Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken S.A
Zurich Insurance plc (Ireland), Norwegian Branch
Samsung Electronics Nordic Aktiebolag
Codan Forsikring NUF
Tryg Forsikring NUF
Gjensidige Forsikring ASA
Danica Pensjonsforsikring AS
KLP (Kommunal Landspensjonskasse Gjensidig Forsikringsselskap)
If Skadeforsikring NuF
Esso Norge AS (Exxon)
Livsforsikringsselskapet Nordea Liv Norge AS
Lombard International Assurance S.A.
AmTrust International Underwriters Ltd.
AmTrust Nordic AB
AmTrust Insurance Services Norway AS
W. R. Berkley Europe AG
W. R. Berkley Corporation
W. R. Berkley Insurance Norway Nuf
W. R. Berkley Insurance Nordic Nuf
W. R. Berkley Europe AG, Swedish Branch
Nordnet Livsforsikring AS
Quantum Leben AG
Beazley Group Ltd.
Builders Direct S.A
Argonaut Insurance Company
Fortum Corporation Oy
Hansard Europe Dac
Utmost Pan Europe Dac
Norwegian Insurance Partner AS
Howden Forsikringsmegling AS
A/S Norske Shells Pensjonskasse
A/S Norske Shell
Safe Forsikring AS
Skandia Leben (FL) AG
Fine Art Specie Adjusters Ltd
Square Trade Ltd.
CBL Insurance Europe DAC
Pareto Forsikringsmegling AS
Baker McKenzie Link
Safety Wing AS
Hogan Lovells International LLP (Spain)
Tarian Underwriting Limited
- Advised Gjensidige Forsikring on its sale of Gjensidige Bank to Nordea.
- Assisting Apple with the development of its AppleCarePlus device insurance program to fit Norwegian legal requirements.
- Advising Samsung on the development of its Samsung Care+ mobile device insurance program.
Sven Iver Steen leads the full service insurance department at Arntzen de Besche, which acts for a range of insurance companies on professional liability and D&O mandates and transactional issues, and is notably active in the oil and gas, offshore, shipping and aviation sectors. Other clients include brokers, agents and corporate policyholders. Litigator Andreas Nordby also contributes to the practice, as does Karl Rosén, who focuses on regulatory matters, and Kåre I Moljord, who handles non-life insurance law, professional liability and D&O work, and insurance litigation.
Sven Iver Steen
‘The team is very client focused and service minded, and delivers on time.‘
‘The individuals, who work with us on a regular basis have great knowledge of our business.‘
Sparebank 1 Forsikring
Marine Subsea AS, its bankruptcy estate
Lillevold and Partners
KLP Skadeforsikring AS
- Represented the bankruptcy estate of Marine Subsea in a Supreme Court case filed against the former CEO relating to time bar principles.
- Acted for the bankruptcy estate of Reinertsen in a negligence claim against five members of the board of directors.
- Defending PwC in a claim filed by Bertel O Steen Østfold, which claims the auditor acted negligently in its audit of Iseveien Bil, which caused it to suffer financial loss.
Bull & Co Advokatfirma AS’ insurance practice has seen substantial growth in recent years, most notably with the recruitment of group head Runar Hansen from DLA Piper in 2018 and compliance specialist Anne Helsingeng from Advokatfirmaet Hjort in mid-2019. The pair join Nils Henrik Varmann Jørgensen, who is a key name for insurer clients and regularly handles real estate and contract-related matters; regulatory expert Erlend Balsvik and Klemet Gaski, who assists with professional indemnity work.
Allianz Global Corporate & Speciality (on behalf of Revisorgruppen)
RiskPoint (CV Starr-Lloyds Syndicate & Arch Insurance Company (Europe)
AGS Forsikring (agent for Aegis)
The Norwegian Football Association
Norwegian Supervisory Council for Legal Practice
- Acting for auditor Revisorgruppen and its insurer Allianz in a lawsuit filed by Bertel O Steen, which alleged the auditor acted negligently.
- Defending Chubb in a D&O claim against an overseas board member of a bankrupt Norwegian company in the publishing sector.
- Advising Standard Garanti Forsikring on its successful application to the Financial Supervisory Authority for a licence to operate in Norway.
Acting for both policyholders and insurers, SANDS’ roster of domestic and international clients includes WR Berkley, Zurich Insurance, Tryg, Chubb and RiskPoint. Group head Christian Kjellby Nesset assists with product development issues, insurance claims and reinsurance mandates; he recently acted for Johnson Controls and Chubb in a professional indemnity matter and acts as adviser to Protector on its insurance activities in Norway.
Christian Kjellby Nesset
Schenker and Schenker Ocean
Generali PanEurope Dac
Hansard Europe Dac
Johnson Controls captive
Norwegian Insurance Partner
Tromstrygd Gjensidig Forsikringsselskap
W. R. Berkley Insurance (Europe)
- Acting for Chubb and Johnson Controls in a professional indemnity matter.
- Advising WR Berkley on the restructuring of its insurance activities in Norway and Sweden.
- Assisting Moen Marine with a range of issues arising out of two shipwreck incidents, which involved production defects.
At Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig, Frithjof Herlofsen and Lars Inge Ørstavik jointly lead the insurance practice from Oslo and Bergen respectively. The group is a key name for marine insurance work and acts for all major marine insurers in the domestic market; recent mandates include protection and indemnity insurance work, hull and machinery claims, cargo issues and loss of hire disputes. The practice also handles non-contentious work for international life and non-life insurers, and also operates standalone aviation insurance and personal injury insurance teams, led by Ingar Fuglevåg and Øyvind Vidhammer respectively. Christian Bjørtuft Ellingsen and Jan Vablum are also noteworthy contacts.
Frithjof Herlofsen; Lars Inge Ørstavik
Skuld P & I
North of England P & I
Britannia P & I
- Acting for Gjensidige in a Supreme Court case relating to the application of limitation clauses.
- Representing Hamburg Cruises in a dispute against Gard relating to the calculation of compensation under loss of hire cover.
- Acting for Yara Insurance and If in proceedings relating to the MV Cheshire casualty, in which the ship became a total loss and all cargo carried on the vessel was damaged.