Fishing and aquaculture in Norway
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig’s team of ‘hardworking lawyers who give accurate and thorough legal advice’ handles corporate, regulatory, contentious and employment work for clients in the marine and shore-based sectors, including fisheries and salmon producers, processing plants, vessel owners, suppliers and public bodies. Kenneth Mikkelsen and Arthur Duus jointly lead the practice from Tromsø and Bergen respectively; Mikkelsen leads the fisheries team while Duus heads up the aquaculture department. Ole Rieck, who is also based in Bergen, is a key name for fishery clients and handles commercial issues and disputes, while Trondheim-based Arild Paulsen assists aquaculture companies with contractual matters and regulatory work.
Kenneth Mikkelsen; Arthur Duus
‘Hardworking lawyers that give accurate and thorough legal advice and assessments.‘
‘The firm’s size means that they can help with not only aquaculture law, but also property law, employment law, contract law etc.‘
‘Ole Rieck’s work has been outstanding and we are very pleased with his and his colleagues’ performance.‘
Alliance Seafoods Inc
Alsaker Fjordbruk AS
Viking Fjord AS
Norges Sildesalgslag SA
Lerøy Seafood Norway –AS
Grimsholm Fiskedrift AS
Polar Seafood Norway AS
Hermann Export AS
K. Strømmen Fiskeoppdrett AS
Mikal Solhaug AS
Hermann Mehamn AS
Skjervøy Fiskeriselskap AS
Fjon Bruk AS
Alsaker LFC Holding AS
Salar Bruk AS
Lyder Fisk AS
- Advising NSS on its decision to temporarily stop fisheries for a particular species and the related complaint by the Norwegian Seafood Federation regarding the legality of the decision.
- Assisting Bjølve Bruk with the negotiations for a contract securing the rights to access to freshwater, which is vital for its production of smolt and juvenile Atlantic salmon.
- Acting for Mikal Solhaug against a claim for the arrest of its fishing vessel.
Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS’ fishery and aquaculture team handles the full spectrum of matters in the sector encompassing patent issues, contractual work, transactional matters and financings with notable expertise in regulatory mandates. The practice’s client base spans producers, transportation companies, banks and financiers; notable examples include Pelagia, Sølvtrans, DNB Bank and Biomar. Mons Alfred Paulsen, who clients praise as ‘an outstanding professional in his field’, leads the Bergen-based department and focuses on M&A, corporate and tax issues; Rune Ulriksen Steinsland handles contract law, and recently promoted senior associate Henrik Lovund has experience in contractual issues, M&A and regulatory work.
Mons Alfred Paulsen
‘In-depth knowledge of the business, always on the alert and available, excellent capabilities.‘
‘Thommessen and the lawyers that we cooperate with in this firm are very service-minded, always available for discussions on short notice. They also have a great understanding of the industry, the players and the topics that we have needed assistance with.‘
‘The team has an overall insight to all aspects of our industry, they have a unique network of relations within the industry keeping them updated on hot and relevant topics. The team also has specialists to support us with top-level skills in all possible assignments.‘
‘The partners I have dealt with in aquaculture matters have a very good knowledge of the sector, both in Norway and abroad, e.g. South America. They are dynamic and very proactive, always working out solutions. Most importantly, they cover finance and tax aspects of the transactions, but where most lawyers would stop, they also provide regulatory advice and dominate pure operational aspects of the ships, fish and cages.‘
‘I will mention Mons Alfred Paulsen in particular. He is an outstanding professional in his field.‘
‘Leader of the team, Mons Alfred Paulsen, has, with his extensive knowledge of our industry and his network, created an efficient and capable team.‘
‘Both Bergen partners Rune Ulriksen Steinsland and Bjørn Sande Urtegaard are dynamic and pro-active.‘
MSD Animal Health
NCE Seafood/The Seafood Innovation Cluster
Hav Line Gruppen
Austevoll Seafood/ Br. Birkeland
Firda Seafood Group
- Advised Hav Line Gruppen on its establishment, financing and the construction of its first vessel.
- Representing BioMar in a patent dispute relating to its newly developed fish feed.
- Acting for Pelagia in litigation against the Norwegian Ministry of Trade, Industry and Finance relating to the legality of restrictions imposed on the first-hand trade of pelagic fish.
Wikborg Rein’s high-profile client roster features a substantial number of seafood companies including Mowi, Lerøy Seafood Group and Grieg Seafood; the practice also acts for fish farming and fishery clients. The dedicated team is singled out for its strong regulatory expertise and regularly handles licensing issues including green license applications, development licences, and research licences; it also works closely with the firm’s corporate and litigation groups. Regulatory specialist Grunde Bruland leads the department from Bergen, which also includes Jan Erik Clausen and Oslo-based Ketil E Bøe, who handle corporate matters, and senior associate Erik Staurset Andresen, who advises on new site applications and licensing issues.
‘The group’s understanding of the salmon business is the best among lawyers in Norway.‘
‘Grunde Bruland is a very experienced aquaculture legal adviser.‘
Lerøy Seafood Group ASA
Cermaq Norway AS
Grieg Seafood ASA
Austevoll Seafood ASA
Norway Royal Salmon ASA
Eide Fjordbruk AS
Tombre Fiskeanlegg AS
Ervik Havfiske Holding AS
Hofseth Aqua AS
Norsk Havbrukssenter Oppdrett AS
Liegruppen Fiskeri AS
Erko Seafood AS
Engesund Fiskeoppdrett AS
Austevoll Melaks AS
- Successfully defending Lerøy Midt against criminal charges relating to the alleged violation of sea lice levels and animal welfare legislation.
- Assisting Mowi Norway with the application process for a new site in Vega municipality.
- Advised Arctic Offshore Farming on the site application for a new development licence project for arctic offshore fish farming including the related complaints to the Norwegian Coastal Administration following its refusal.
Stig Engelhart heads up the practice at BAHR, which is singled out for its transactional strength and regulatory expertise; the group also leverages its offshore construction knowledge and is increasingly active in the services sector. The team counts Aker, Marine Bioproducts, Ocean Aquafarms and Aker Biomarine on its client roster; it also recently represented Torbjørn Kvassheim in a fisheries patent case in the Court of Appeal relating to a fish counting device. Haakon Flaatten focuses on corporate work and Are Stenvik handles IP litigation.
Aker ASA / Aker Solutions ASA
Marine Bioproducts AS
Ocean Aquafarms AS
PG Flow Solutions AS
Midt-Norsk Havbruk AS
- Acting for Cargill and Ewos in a case relating to the infringement of a patent application for fish feed.
- Representing Torbjørn Kvassheim (Aquascan) in a patent case relating to a process and device for fish counting.
- Advising Norvestor and PG Flow Solutions on the latter’s acquisition of Cflow Invest 1.
Following the recruitment of fishing and aquaculture experts Ida Espolin Johnson and Bjørn Sørgård from Arntzen de Besche in mid 2019, Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS’ newly strengthened team has a noteworthy reputation for regulatory mandates and also handles contractual work, competition law and trade matters. The practice also draws on the firm’s full service offering, particularly the tax, M&A and litigation departments. Key clients include Sjømat Norge, Norway Royal Salmon, Nova Sea, Stim and Nordlaks Oppdrett. Tone Grivi is also recommended for corporate and M&A work.
Bjørn Sørgård; Ida Espolin Johnson
‘Excellent and unique knowledge of Norwegian fisheries and aquaculture laws and regulations. Team is easily available 24/365.‘
‘They have extensive experience from positions in Norwegian Government institutions and have been involved in law making and the development of governmental regulations. Many years experience in legal processes on behalf of private companies and branch organisations, with very good results in several cases.’
Norway Royal Salmon
Nordlaks Oppdrett AS
Nova Sea AS
Wilsgård Fiskeoppdrett AS
Stim AS (formerly Europharma AS, Fishguard AS and ACD Pharma AS)
Maritime Competence AS
Salten Aqua Group
Vega Sjøfarm AS
Flokenes Fiskefarm AS
Gildeskål Forskningsstasjon AS
- Representing Europharma (now Stim) in a patent infringement case relating to its fish feed, which controls the smoltification of young fish.
- Acting for Sinkaberg-Hansen and its subsidiary Bindalslaks in a complaint against the Norwegian Food Safety Authority relating to decisions which have impeded its ability to test new salmon breeding methods.
- Advised Sporbarhet on the establishment of a system to trace escaped farmed salmon back to its original location.
With ‘a unique knowledge of fishing and aquaculture law’, SANDS’ cross-practice capability encompasses regulatory, transactional, advisory and contentious expertise, and the group advises on issues across the full supply chain in the catch and farming sectors. Clients include salmon producers, industry organisations and fish farming companies. Ole-Martin Lund Andreassen heads up the practice and regularly acts for vessel owners; he also has notable experience with coastal zone planning work, location clearing issues and aquaculture concessions. Halfdan Mellbye focuses on regulatory matters, Eirik Edvardsen handles transactions and Lars Alsaker is a public and administrative law expert.
Ole-Martin Lund Andreassen
‘SANDS has a unique knowledge of fishing and aquaculture law that is unique in Norway. SANDS also has a broad approach to sea legal issues, which means that they have a multi-spectrum approach to law.‘
‘SANDS’ lawyers, I would say, are some of the most dedicated and knowledgeable people I have met in the field of law. I would particularly like to emphasise their very welcoming personality and their willingness to search for and find good legal solutions.‘
K Strømmen Holding AS
- Advising K Strømmen Holding on the sale of its stake in K Strømmen Lakseoppdrett to Mowi.
Finance expert Tone Østensen heads up the practice at Wiersholm following the departure of Nicolas Brun-Lie to Ro Sommernes Advokatfirma DA in early 2019; Østensen is particularly active in capital markets-related issues and recently advised Mowi on its acquisition of K Strømmen Lakseoppdrett. Other key practitioners include Gunhild Dugstad, who focuses on transactional work, and private equity and M&A specialist Jarle Kvam. Managing associate Svein-Helge Hanken is active in the aquaculture sector.
Norway Royal Salmon ASA
Summa Equity AB
Norwegian Fish Company AS
Alltech Norway AS
- Advising Mowi on its acquisition of K Strømmen Lakseoppdrett.
- Assisting Lumarine with its acquisition of post-smolt producer Njord Salmon.
- Representing Rimfrost in a procedural case before the Supreme Court relating to whether the patent claim brought by Aker BioMarine Antarctic had been filed in the correct jurisdiction.
Advokatfirmaet Schjødt’s cross-departmental approach draws from the transactional, dispute resolution and advisory practices to handle issues across the full spectrum of the fishing and aquaculture sector including M&A, capital markets transactions and debt financing work. Clients include fish farmers, fishery companies, equipment and technology suppliers, and commercial banks. Tord Fondevik leads the practice, which also includes Ålesund office head Stian Tennfjord; Fondevik handles transactional and regulatory work, and Tennfjord focuses on corporate and contractual law. Tore Fjørtoft is also a key name for regulatory advice.
‘The Schjødt team has a unique combination of deep understanding of the fishing regulatory landscape and the process behind it, and broad commercial competence. Through this they are able to give us accurate advice that is meaningful for business and creates value for our shareholders.‘
‘We have worked with many leading lawyers both in Norway and elsewhere, but no one can match Tord Fondevik. He is able to sort out and process complicated cases and make it easy for us as a client to understand and make decisions. He is excellent at keeping the process costs low by managing the process efficiently, knowing when to involve additional competence and when not. He understands our business goals and is vital for the positive outcomes of our processes.‘
‘Tore Fjørtoft is probably the person in Norway with the deepest competence within the fishing regulatory space. He understands how the regulatory landscape works, and how you can find the smart solutions that merges the needs of the business with the regulatory framework.‘
Stingray Marine Solutions
Norwegian Royal Salmon
- Assisting Aker BioMarine with its acquisition of Neptune Technologies & Bioresource and Enzymotec.
- Advised Coast Seafood on its acquisition of Roadfeeders.
Arntzen de Besche’s ‘highly competent’ group is led from Trondheim by real estate partner Anders Dyrseth following the departure of Bjørn Sørgård and Ida Espolin Johnson to Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS; Dyrseth is also a key name for contentious matters and general corporate and transactional work. The group’s client list spans fish farming companies, processing companies and hatcheries. The practice is also active in the development and construction of offshore aquaculture farms and assists with regulatory and licensing mandates. Ole Skeidsvoll Moe and Jon Martin Atkinson also contribute to the group and handle litigation and M&A work respectively.
‘Arntzen de Besche has a unique position as highly competent in aquaculture regulation. This is combined with a good strategic understanding, which allows them to give advice well suited for the context we work within.‘
‘They have down to earth behaviour, and a good sense of humour, which makes it enjoyable and motivating to work with them.‘
Norway Royal Salmon ASA
Benchmark Holdings plc
Wilsgård Fiskeoppdrett AS
Norwegian Ministry of Trade, Industries and Fisheries
Aksel Hansen Holding AS
- Advised Nordlaks Oppdrett on its project for the development and construction of offshore aquaculture farms.
- Assisting Norway Royal Salmon with the process of building a new hatchery.
- Acting for Aksel Hansen Holding on its negotiations with Nergård for the sale of the enterprise, property and shares in its fishing company.