Dispute resolution in Norway
Halvor Manshaus and Per Magne Ristvedt jointly lead the practice at Advokatfirmaet Schjødt, which has been notably active in all Norwegian courts including the Supreme Court; the group recently represented a web pioneer in a database rights dispute in the Supreme Court. Other noteworthy clients include ExxonMobil, Statkraft, Elopac and Nordea. Manshaus is recommended for IP and media disputes and Ristvedt focuses on company law litigation; clients also single out contractual specialist Sven Eriksrud, Trond Sollund, who ‘represents the perfect attributes of a strong litigator’, oil and gas and media expert Vidar Strømme, and Amund Bjøranger Tørum who acts in energy and offshore disputes. The group further strengthened its oil and gas expertise through its merger with Michelet & Co Advokatfirma AS in early 2019. IP litigator Knut Sverre Skurdal Andresen also joined from BAHR in late 2019.
Halvor Manshaus; Per Magne Ristvedt
‘Strong on capacity. Strong on professional skills. Strong on client relationships.‘
‘We have been working with Schjødt for a substantial amount of time. I would like to highlight the outstanding performance of the team during our years of collaboration, and we appreciate having a team of true professionals in the Norwegian legal market.‘
‘The only problem with Schjødt is that everyone wants to use them in our industry; they are just so strong on E&P and dispute resolution.‘
‘Absolutely brilliant professionals, accurate on details, strategic thinking, very quick with responding, innovative and creative approach to complicated cross-border procedural issues.‘
‘Trond Sollund represents the perfect attributes of a strong litigator; he is systematic and therefore able to handle massive documentation. I admire his ability to connect with the project people and understand difficult facts. Trond is also a very strong communicator, focuses on the big things and fights with integrity!‘
‘Hallvard Aarseth can litigate any matter landing on his desk with an outstanding quality.‘
‘Amund may appear like a professor with a robe, but that can be very powerful and he will strengthen any litigation team!‘
‘Vidar Strømme has been one of Norway’s top 10 litigators for many, many years and still deserves that recognition.‘
Staur Holding AS
TV 2 AS
Polaris Media ASA
- Representing WorldVentures in litigation against the Norwegian State relating to a ban on its activities in Norway following allegations that it is a pyramid scheme.
- Acted for Elopak in a patent infringement case relating to new technology for producing cartons.
- Defending Rettspraksis.no and Håkon Wium Lie, a highly regarded web developer, against proceedings relating to database rights brought by Lovdata regarding the publication of Supreme Court rulings.
BAHR ‘singles itself out in that the team consists of outstanding professionals’ who have ‘a diverse range of knowledge and experience’ and are ‘able to see new angles when building a defence, being curious and innovative in their approach’. With substantial expertise across the full range of contentious issues, the group fields practitioners with notable areas of knowledge; Gunnar Sørlie and Jan Einar Barbo are key names for construction cases, Thomas Svensen handles oil and gas disputes, Jan Jansen focuses on energy and tax disputes, Tarjei Thorkildsen acts in employment claims, and Are Stenvik is an IP litigator. Atle Skaldebø-Rød heads up the department, which also includes all-round litigators Sam Harris and Øystein Myre Bremset.
‘BAHR’s team singles itself out in that it consists of outstanding professionals practising in the key fields of civil law. This means that the team is one of the few that can take on cases requiring a diverse range of knowledge and experience. It is my opinion that BAHR is a competent and professional law firm.‘
‘The team consists of highly skilled and experienced professionals. They are able to see new angles when building the defence, being curious and innovative in their approach. Their way of working, with sincere interest for the business and people, makes them an excellent business partner.‘
‘Tarjei Thorkildsen is a highly experienced litigator with outstanding legal knowledge and capabilities. In that sense he stands out both in employment law and litigation.‘
‘Jan Jansen is outstanding at finding new and innovative solutions when approaching an issue. With his experience he is able to ask the right questions in order to provide the best defence possible.’
‘Joachim Bjerke is outstanding at working with complex technical issues and has an eye for key details.’
Norwegian Hull Club
Norwegian Air Shuttle
AS Norske Shell
DNB Bank ASA
Color Line AS
- Defended Norwegian Air Shuttle in the Supreme Court in a dispute relating to whether the pilots and cabin crew were hired personnel or part of a crew service delivered to the airline operators in the Norwegian Group.
- Representing Aukruststiftlsen, the holder of the IP rights for the fictional Flåklypa universe, in a Court of Appeal case relating to the use of the ownership of the rights to Il Tempo Gigante and its use in an amusement park ride.
- Acting for Color Line in a compensation claim arising from its alleged breach of competition law.
Boutique construction, oil and energy, and dispute resolution firm Advokatfirmaet Glittertind AS has been notably active in construction disputes, professional liability claims and corporate cases. It recently represented the former minority shareholders of Aurora LPG Holding in claims alleging their shares were bought in violation of Norwegian securities trading laws, and acted for Greenpeace in a claim against the Norwegian Government arguing the provision of petroleum production licences breaches the constitutional right to environment protection. Anders Ryssdal leads the practice, which also includes the highly regarded Nils-Henrik Pettersson, Emanuel Feinberg and managing partner Aron Solheim.
‘Outstanding within the construction law field.’
‘Honest advice. They tell you what might be the outcome of the conflict right away – good or bad! Serious lawyers.’
‘Strong in-depth knowledge. Curiosity and detail minded.‘
Christen Sveaas/Kistefos AS
Trygge Barnehager AS
Trannel International Ltd
FSN Capital Partners AS
H. Aschehoug & Co
Skanska Norge AS
Hæhre Entreprenør AS
NCC Norge AS
- Representing the former minority shareholders of Aurora LPG Holding in claims that their shares were purchased in violation of Norwegian securities trading laws to a considerable undervalue.
- Acting for Greenpeace in a claim against the Norwegian Government in its claim that an award of petroleum production licences in the Barents Sea region is in breach of the constitutional right to environment.
- Representing Norgani Hotels in a dispute relating to losses following the bankruptcy of another hotel group.
Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS’ ‘well-coordinated’ team is ‘dogged in its defence of client interests and refuses to be deflected from the main issues at stake’. Henning Nordtvedt leads the practice, which handles the full spectrum of commercial disputes including cross-border litigation and alternative dispute resolution methods. The group also has notable expertise in the real estate, construction, energy, electricity, oil and gas, and TMT sectors; clients include Telenor, Kværner and Nortura. Johnny Johansen is a key contact for infrastructure disputes, Goud Helge Homme Fjellheim handles public procurement work, Mikal Brøndmo is a contract claim expert, and Arve Martin Hyldmo Bjørnvik is ‘passionate, enthusiastic and committed’. Rasmus Asbjørnsen is also a noteworthy individual.
Other key lawyers:
‘The lawyers from Haavind always deliver high-quality advice. The combination of outstanding competence and long-standing experience contribute to solving issues in an excellent way. Their thorough work gives us a great deal of security.‘
‘Excellent team – they won a very tricky preliminary injunction case for us. They were dogged in their defence of our interests and refused to be deflected from the main issues.‘
‘Well-coordinated team with combined skills that were important for our specific case.‘
‘Eager to learn, very professional approach, very well-prepared, excellent construction sector knowledge.’
‘Mikal Brøndmo has an excellent ability to quickly learn new topics relevant for the case, and an excellent ability to identify critical details from a large set of data. Excellent communication skills, and always available.‘
‘We got a skilled lawyer who quickly got involved in the case – Goud Helge Homme Fjellheim. He assisted very well in the preparatory phase for the hearing, and he was skilled and confident at the hearing.‘
‘Arve Martin Hyldmo Bjørnvik is passionate, enthusiastic, committed and intelligent with deep knowledge of the construction sector and Norwegian law.‘
‘Johnny Johansen is smart, listens well, moderate and very technically prepared.‘
‘Pål Kvernaas is a gentleman with deep knowledge of labour law. He also has a very commercial approach.‘
Heraeus Medical Gmbh
Norwegian Public Road Authority (NPRA)
Sparebank 1 Finans
The Norwegian Tax Authorities
- Acting for Posten Norge in a cross-border damages case resulting from the European Commission’s trucks cartel settlement decision.
- Representing AtB in a dispute with Fosen-linjen relating to the public procurement of ferry services held by AtB; AtB cancelled the tender procedure due to an illegal award criterion.
- Acting for TV distributor RiksTV in copyright clearance litigation in the Supreme Court against Tono.
At Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS, the litigation practice fields specialists in the IP, M&A, tax, insurance, employment, shipping and energy sectors, who act for a client roster encompassing Telenor, Transocean, DNB and Bane Nor. In the team, Eirik W Raanes focuses on IP, contract, construction and insurance law and Henning Harborg is active in white-collar crime cases. Other key individuals include Bergen-based practitioners Trond Hatland and Svein Aage Valen, IP and technology litigator Camilla Vislie and tax and company law expert Hanne Skaarberg Holen. The team was also bolstered by the recruitment of Kristine Hyldmo Bjørnvik in 2019 from Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS, who also made partner in 2020 and is now head of the practice.
Kristine Hyldmo Bjørnvik
‘Thommessen are very knowledgable and are fair in explaining the risks. They will try to get an amicable solution if this is advantageous for the client. They have a huge amount of experience.‘
‘Very in-depth, know all details of the case, all members involved and involves the client in all detailed discussions.‘
‘Eirik Raanes, with his experience, makes the process clear and provides you with a feeling of comfort. During the process he shows that he is well informed. However, even in stressful times, he uses humour.‘
‘Eirik W Raanes has a strong ability to understand complex cases and follow through in the best interest of the client.‘
El Proffen AS
Norwegian Hull Club
Banco Popular Español S.A./Banco Santander
Gard AS/Assuranceforeningen Gard
ING BANK N.V
Intervet International BV/MSD Animal Health
Zimmer Biomet Norway AS
TIAN Holding AS
TGS Nopec Geophysical Company ASA
Kongsberg Gruppen ASA
KLP Skadeforsikring AS
Ernst & Young AS
Orange (France Telecom)
BW LPG Holding Ltd.
Bane NOR SF
Hav Line Gruppen AS
Storebrand ASA (and subsidiaries)
Norxe AS/Norxe America, Inc
Storebrand International Private Equity V Limited (“SIPE”)
Westcon Yards AS
- Representing a leading Norwegian investment banker who was charged with fraud following a series of stock transactions in 2010.
- Defending TGS Nopec Geophysical against corporate liability and civil claims regarding alleged tax fraud.
- Representing ING Bank in a dispute regarding the bank’s security in Bergen Bunkers and OW Bunker’s bankruptcy estate.
Wiersholm ‘offers exceptional expertise and insight into litigation and dispute resolution’ and ‘combines excellent legal knowledge and an ability to understand the facts with an ability to communicate complicated issues in an understandable way’. The practice has notably broad expertise in contentious work and also has substantial international experience in litigation and arbitration. Team leader Ronny Lund is singled out for his construction expertise, while co-heads Christian Hauge and Olav Fr Perland focus on shipping and financial litigation respectively. Managing partner Morten Goller, competition and public law expert Stephan L Jervell, and IP and TMT specialist Magnus Hellesylt are also key names to note.
Ronny Lund; Christian Hauge; Olav Fr Perland
‘One of the best law firms you can engage. Wiersholm offers exceptional expertise and insight into litigation and dispute resolution. Advice given is always sharp, to the point, relevant and contains strategic angles. Clearly Tier 1 firm to work with.’
‘Good team spirit and well coordinated.‘
‘The team has the ability to combine excellent legal knowledge and “understanding the facts” while still managing to communicate complicated issues in an understandable way with their clients.‘
‘Partners are hardworking, dedicated, reliable and the utmost professionals. Communication is clear and concise.‘
‘Olav Perland is at the top of his game. Magnus Snellingen is a star in the making.‘
Deutsche Bank AG
International Business Machines AS (IBM)
AIG Europe Limited
AF Gruppen ASA
Skanska Norge AS
Danske Bank AS
Coop Norge SA
Nord-Trøndelag Elektrisitetsverk AS (NTE)
Yara International ASA
Bertel O. Steen AS
BMO Entreprenør AS and BMO Tunnelsikring AS
Kistefos AS and owner Christen Sveaas
- Acted for Skanska Norge in a dispute against Bane Nor in a damages claim for lost profit following alleged breaches of the Norwegian procurement rules in a competition for a major railway contract.
- Representing Deutsche Bank in the enforcement of a UK ruling against Sebastian Holdings Inc (SHI) and issues relating to whether assets in IT company Confimrit that were transferred from SHI to its shareholders fall into the bank’s claim relating to trading losses.
- Acted for two companies owned by HNA Group (Oceanus (Luxembourg) and Lotus Marine) in a dispute against Spar Shipping relating to a settlement agreement, which was allegedly detrimental to Spar Shipping’s debtor, Grand China Logistics Holding.
‘Highly regarded as a top-tier firm in Norway for complex commercial litigation’, Wikborg Rein is a key name in the market for cross-border litigation and arbitration and also excels in the oil and gas, renewables, shipping, offshore, seafood, finance and technology sectors. Notable clients include DNB and Infor; the group represented the latter in a Supreme Court case relating to a contract for the supply and implementation of a new ERP system to Felleskjøpet. Ola Haugen, Kaare Andreas Shetelig and Ola Nisja jointly lead the practice; Haugen handles post-M&A disputes, contract claims and construction issues, Shetelig has acted in price review and transfer pricing disputes, and clients claim that ‘with Nisja on the team, you will get the best advice in the market’.
Ola Haugen; Ola Nisja; Kaare Andreas Shetelig
‘Strong team with sufficient knowledge and capacity to handle disputes of any kind and size in an excellent way.’
‘Professionally they have very high standards, they are business-oriented with great understand of our business, and have broad experience within dispute resolution – also internationally which I find unique. They are also easy to cooperate with.‘
‘Wikborg is highly regarded as a top tier law firm in Norway for complex commercial matters and also for commercial litigation.‘
‘Make sure Ola Nisja is on the team, and you will get the best advice in the market. He is not only an outstanding litigator (there are couple of them around), he always strives to understand all aspects of the matter and their importance to the client. This combined with his industry knowledge and extensive experience in dispute resolution enables him to provide his clients with extremely valuable strategic advice. When Ola manages a case, you feel immediately it is in goods hands.’
‘They hold a very high standard professionally. At the same time, they are very good at cooperation, they are very responsive and accessible. They come up with new ideas and new angles, and are able to see – and find – “a way out” of difficult situations. They also have very high ethical standards, which is important to us.‘
Norske Skogindustrier ASA
Naftogaz of Ukraine
The Norwegian Parliament (“Stortinget”)
The Ministry of Defence (including The Norwegian Armed Forces)
Vy (formerly NSB)
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Acted for Magne Sveen in an appeal case against the Norwegian Public Roads Authority in the Supreme Court relating to construction contracts and the distribution of risk and responsibility.
- Represented Infor in an appeal case before the Eidsivating Court of Appeal relating to a contract for the supply and implementation of a new ERP system to Felleskjøpet.
- Representing Det Norske Travelskap in the Supreme Court in a VAT case relating to whether riders are subject to VAT for the monetary prizes they receive.
The team at Arntzen de Besche ‘demonstrates a strong ability to put itself in the client’s shoes’ and ‘works well together with a clear agenda, bringing the best of each individual to the case’. The group handles claims at all domestic and European court levels and also has notable expertise in alternative dispute resolution; it is also active across a variety of sectors, including the oil and gas and insurance industries, and areas of expertise including tax, employment, competition and IP matters. Andreas Nordby leads the department, which also fields Knud Jacob Knudsen, professional liability expert Terje Granvang, and Erlend Haaskjold, who is ‘a great adviser’. Wenche Maartmann-Moe joined from Wiersholm in 2019.
‘The team demonstrated a strong ability to put themselves in the client’s shoes. Extremely well prepared with clear advice to the client. The team worked well together with a clear agenda and brought the best of each individual together to create a very good client experience. Far better industry and dispute resolution insight than other teams I have observed.‘
‘Erlend Haaskjold is our primary lawyer and contact. Erlend is a great adviser and is excellent in all areas. In our view he is the best all-round lawyer we know.‘
‘Terje Granvang is an outstanding dispute resolution partner with well-documented experience. He is extremely focused and dedicated to his work and invests time together with the client to get into the necessary details. He is excellent in strategy and oral proceedings.‘
Gjensidige Forsikring ASA
Vroon Containers B.V.
Lloyds of London
TOTAL E&P Norge AS
Clyde & Co
Veidekke Entreprenør AS
- Defending PwC in a case brought by Bertel O Steen Østfold (BOS) claiming it was negligent in its audit of Iseveien Bil, causing BOS to suffer a financial loss of NOK20m.
- Representing Jet-Tern Marine in legal proceedings to set aside an arbitration award rendered in London.
- Acting for the bankruptcy estate of Reinertsen in a negligence claim against five members of the board of directors.
M&A and commercial litigation boutique Advokatfirmaet CLP DA has expanded beyond its traditional real estate strength to handle matters across the oil and gas, finance, construction, insurance, media and technology sectors. The group recently acted in the high-profile Gassled litigation and represented Skeie Technology in a dispute against the Norwegian Government relating to the standard parent company guarantee required by the government for activities on the Norwegian continental shelf. Contract and real estate expert Egil Jarslett, media and IP specialist Kyrre Eggen and Vidar Riksfjord, who is ‘extremely dedicated to every case’, jointly lead the dispute resolution practice, which also counts managing partner Fred Arthur Andersen as a key practitioner.
Egil Jarslett; Kyrre Eggen; Vidar Riksfjord
‘The team consists of lawyers with unique individual skills. They cover a considerable area of commercial law, but are still highly specialised within key fields.‘
‘CLP is very dedicated to the task given, always setting up a highly competent team with short response times and well-qualified suggestions. They are always trying to find the best solution, with good advice, even in cases where we as a client see the reality differently. This reality check is important for us as a client.‘
‘Pragmatic, result-oriented and non-bureaucratic.‘
‘Kyrre Eggen is a brilliantly creative and intuitive litigator. He has a unique talent in spotting the core of complex matters and making original and effective moves to achieve optimal results. He is shrewd and determined in cross-examinations.‘
‘Vidar Riksfjord has a unique knowledge of business terms, and is extremely dedicated to every case and task we have worked with. He always involves a highly competent team but the follow up is made by him as a partner in the law firm. In many other companies the partner starts, and the rest is done with associates. This is not the case with CLP and Vidar, who we can recommend as a top lawyer in Norway.‘
‘Ability to address the key issues in a straightforward yet non-emotional way and ability to find solutions.’
Recover Nordic AS (Recover Nordic Group)
4Service AS (4Service Group)
Skeie Technology AS
Codan (RSA Insurance Group)
Silex Gas Norway AS,
Solveig Gas Norway AS
Infragas Norge AS
Finnmark Rein AS
Stykket Invest AS
NCC Norge AS
J. B. Ugland Holding AS
E&P Holding AS
Production Energy Company AS
Hofseth Aqua AS
Power Norge AS(former Expert Norge AS)
British American Tobacco Company
Verdens Gang (VG)
Scott Free Films
Silver Spring Networks Inc.
Hegnar Media AS
Alevo Group S.A
Alfa Sko AS
Fresh Fitness AS
- Represented Capeomega, Solveig Gas Norway, Silex Gas Norway and Infragas in a Supreme Court case against the Norwegian State relating to the reduction of tax tariffs after the four infrastructure investors acquired a 45% stake in Gassled.
- Acting for Ferd in legal proceedings against Viking Holding relating to the recovery of a loan with interest.
- Acting for Skeie Technology in a dispute against the Norwegian Government relating to the standard patent company guarantee required by the Government for activities on the Norwegian continental shelf.
Alongside its notable civil litigation expertise, Advokatfirmaet Hjort is a key name in the market for criminal cases and regularly handles white-collar crime matters including tax evasion, corruption and insider trading work. The group is also recommended for professional liability issues; it recently acted for Sparebank 1 SR-Bank in a dispute against its former lawyers. Key contacts in the practice include Alex Borch, Frode Innjord and Kristin Veierød; Borch is singled out for his employment law expertise; Innjord handles civil litigation and Veierød is an expert in claims in the electronic communication field. Clients also praise managing partner and employment expert Anne Marie Due, and white-collar expert Nils Christian Langtvedt. Anders Myhre joined Advokatfirmaet Grette AS in 2020.
Alex Borch; Frode Innjord; Kristin Veierød
Other key lawyers:
‘The team knows our business well, and is able to counsel considering our business as a whole. The team responds rapidly with advice relevant to both our and the opposite party’s initiative. They staff the team with the necessary experts without overstaffing the team.‘
GSE Design & Build
Kruse Smith Entreprenør AS
HAB Construction AS
DNB Bank AS
Karsten Moholt AS
Statoil ASA / Statoil Petroleum AS
ConocoPhilips Skandinavia AS
Agder Energi Vannkraft AS
Telenor Norge AS / Telenor ASA
- Acted for Sparebank 1 SR-Bank in a professional liability claim against its former lawyers.
- Represented DNB Asset Management in claims following the termination of a portfolio manager’s employment including claims that the non-fulfilment of employment and the move to a new position was illegal, and the termination was invalid.
- Defending Petrus in a damages claim brought by Base Gruppen for breach of non-solicit agreements and good business practice relating to the purchase of Hotel Alstor in Stavanger.
Kluge Advokatfirma AS’ ‘high-quality advice and attention to detail’ ensures the team is ‘very well prepared and skilful with very high technical knowledge and solid dispute resolution experience’. The practice stands out for its knowledge of construction, administrative, public procurement and oil taxation law and recently represented NeoDrill in a patent dispute against Equinor relating to Equinor’s Cap-X technology. Team head Christian Galtung specialises in company and public administrative disputes, Steffen Asmundsson ‘quickly understands the problem and has a way of making complex legal questions understandable’, Lars Ivar Nyland is a construction expert and Amund Noss handles tax and contract litigation.
‘They are very well prepared and skilful. The competence, especially when it comes to dispute resolution, is very high. For IPR-cases and technical disputes, they will put together a team with very high technical knowledge and long and solid dispute resolution experience.‘
‘Steffen Asmundsson is skilled and has the best expertise to offer on the matter that we have hired him for. He quickly understands the problem and has a way of making complex legal questions understandable. His appearance in court is calm and comfortable.‘
Bane Nor SF
AF Entreprenør ASA
Norsk Hydro ASA
Arctic Securities AS
Det Norske Veritas
Skatt Øst (IRS)
ORG Geophysical AS
Norges Gruppen ASA / ASKO Norge AS
- Represented Bane Nor and the Norwegian Public Road Administration in a construction claim againt JV Veidekke Hochtief which involved disruption claims and claims for liquidated damages.
- Acted for NeoDrill in an IP dispute against Equinor relating to the IP rights for Equinor’s Cap-X technology.
- Represented the Association of Consulting Architects in Norway in an appeal case in the Supreme Court relating to the interface between liability in tort and contract liability for breach of public regulations in construction cases.
Per Conradi Andersen heads up the department at Kvale Advokatfirma DA, which is singled out for its expertise in the offshore and energy sectors with a client roster including Holship Norge, Dong E&P Norge and Statoil. The practice also recently acted for Standard P&I in a dispute with Grad and Stolt Nielsen relating to a fatal ship collision. Andersen is also active in IP, construction and corporate disputes; Jens Brede focuses on the oil and gas sector, Andreas Stang Lund has notable strength in the financial services, consumer products and real estate sectors; and Kristian Lindhartsen handles marine insurance disputes. Ingvild Hanssen-Bauer is also recommended for IP litigation.
Per Conradi Andersen
‘Kvale has an excellent litigation department.‘
‘Per Conradi Andersen and Jens Christian Gjesti are very skilled and also have in-depth knowledge of the telecom industry.‘
DONG E&P Norge
MAN Truck & Bus
West Oil Tools
- Represented a former board member of Thule Drilling in a damages claim brought by bondholders following the company’s bankruptcy.
- Acting for Standard P&I in an insurance dispute against Grad and Stolt Nielsen relating to a 2015 fatal ship collision.
- Representing TDC in a claim relating to repayments and compensation for excessive wholesale prices.
The ‘fantastic team’ at SANDS is increasingly involved in high-profile, cross-border disputes and recently defended CNH Industrial and Iveco against a damages claim in the Norwegian courts which was a follow-on action based on the European Commission cartel fine in 2016. The group is particularly active in the construction, insurance, aquaculture and energy and natural resources sectors; clients include Chubb, AF Gruppen and Havkraft. Morten Steenstrup leads the department, which also includes Bjørn Stordrange, construction specialist Morten Hugo Berger, Lars Tormodsgard, Hege Birkeland Ersdal, shipping litigator Oddbjørn Slinning and insurance expert Christian Kjellby Nesset.
‘Fantastic team, very strong, qualified people. Good mix.‘
‘SANDS works well internally to get the mix of experience and younger, eager attorneys to cooperate to get the best preparations possible. Much appreciated!‘
‘Morten Steenstrup is a very wise person, a uniquely experienced lawyer, and on top of that, very charming to be around!’
CNH Industrial N.V.
Aleris Ungplan & Boi/Aleris Group
AF Gruppen ASA
AKVA Group ASA
Rambøll Norge AS
- Defended CNH Industrial and Iveco in a NOK410m damages claim as a follow-on action based on the European Commission’s truck cartel fine.
- Acting for Aleris Ungplan & Boi in an employment law dispute relating to suppliers’ status as permanent employees with entitlement to overtime remuneration and holiday pay.
- Rperesenting Havkraft in a patent dispute surrounding wave power technology.
Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS’ ‘understanding of deep technical complexities is impressive and is used in a very balanced way’ to assist clients in the technology, IP, real estate and corporate sectors; the group also recently expanded its shipping and offshore expertise through the firm’s merger with oil and offshore boutique Kyllingstad Kleveland Advokatfirma DA. Asbjørn Berg and Carl Roberts jointly lead the department and specialise in IP litigation and contractual disputes respectively. Other key names include Eirik Høiby and Christian Steen Eriksen, who joined as part of the merger, and focus on the oil and gas sector; Høiby is also experienced in matters involving petroleum activities on the Norwegian continental shelf.
Asbjørn Berg; Carl Roberts
‘The team was able to combine their own knowledge in both law and the domain with our knowledge and experience, to build a strong case. They were extremely professional while at all times keeping focus on the human beings in the process.‘
‘The Selmer team has shown an exemplary structure and process in their work towards the court case and also thereafter. The understanding of deep technical complexity is impressive, and they used it in a very balanced way. Their handling of us as their client and balance of emotions against facts was indeed very strong.‘
‘The keen interest, the hunger for information and understanding the case, the background, the nitty gritty details and how that could be used in our favour.’
‘Carl Roberts held it all together in a very good way, understanding the facts related to technology and ran the processes in a strong way. Despite the fact that it took a long time, years, from the beginning until the resolution, he seemed to be on top of the situation and even the details at all times.‘
Teekay Offshore Partners/Teekay Shipping Norway
- Acted for CapeOmega in proceedings against the Norwegian Government claiming that the cut to tariffs paid by shippers of gas, which followed CapeOmega’s purchase of a stake in Gassled, was invalid.
- Defending Daimler in proceedings brought against it and other truck manufacturers by Posten claiming compensation for alleged overcharging.
- Acting for Felleskjøpet Agri in a dispute against Infor relating to the delayed delivery of its new ERP system and the subsequent termination of the contract with Infor.
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig’s sector-focused approach spans the shipping, technology, aviation, IP, construction, banking and energy sectors and also leverages further expertise in competition law, corporate disputes and administrative and human rights issues. Group head Christian Reusch ‘stands out when it comes to quality’, associate partner Tage Brigt A. Skoghøy handles contractual and damages actions, and associate partner Ørjan Salvesen Haukaas has notable expertise in technology contract and cross-border disputes. Frithjof Herlofsen and Peter Simonsen also contribute to the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Simonsen Vogt Wiig is a law firm with a wide range of business expertise. Their lawyers provide advice that is both corporate and legally rooted. In this way, the communication and assistance provided by Simonsen Vogt Wiig is holistic, and not solely judged from a legal perspective. They are able to put together teams that reflect the client’s overall needs.‘
‘Christian Reusch stands out when it comes to quality in SVW.’
‘Nicolai Halbo is a truly capable strategist, and especially skilled with “contract-hygiene” conditions. One quickly realises that he has a great legal weight.‘
‘Ørjan Salvesen Haukaas is a very proficient legal mediator. He anticipated our counterpart’s strategy, and thereby prepared good strategies for the process.’
‘Christian Reusch is an excellent public law lawyer, and a terrific litigator. Very likeable and smart. Tage Skoghøy is also one to watch.‘
Kruse Smith Entreprenør AS
Rolls Royce Marine
ABN Amro Bank N.V.
TV 2 AS
Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA
Coop Sørvest SA
American President Lines Ltd
- Representing Norwegian Air Shuttle in a dispute against Express Airways Group regarding a sales contract for four aircraft and two spare engines.
- Acted for Caprino Filmcenter in an IP dispute relating to an infringement regarding the film Pinchcliff Grand Prix.
- Representing Fosen-Linjen in a claim for compensation relating to a tender for the public procurement of a ferry line.
Advokatfirmaet Grette AS is a key name in the market for construction, employment, professional liability and procurement disputes with notable expertise in the oil and gas sector. The group fields several practitioners admitted to the Supreme Court. Managing partner Jacob S. Bjønness-Jacobsen leads the practice, which also include procurement specialist Jørgen Aardalsbakke , construction expert Rolf W. Markussen and construction practice head Line Wefald , who was promoted to the partnership in 2019. Anders Myhre joined from Advokatfirmaet Hjort in 2020.
Jacob S. Bjønness-Jacobsen
‘Ability to “think outside the box” in the initial phases of situational analysis. This, combined with deep subject matter knowledge, constitutes a framework for creative solutions.‘
‘Dedication to the client’s interests, combined with skilled litigation qualities.‘
‘Line Wefald understood what we are doing, and put her self in a position to talk about our product in a good way. This has made it a good case for us.‘
‘Anders Myhre is an outstanding counsel with excellent oral and written statements in court as well as in settlement negotiations. He is strict, to the point and has a rational approach to both facts and law.‘
The Confederation of Vocational Unions (YS)
The Norwegian Maritime Officers’ Association (Norsk Sjøoffisersforbund)
The Norwegian Public Roads Administration (Statens Vegvesen)
Unisport Scandinavia AS
Olav Thon Eiendomsselskap ASA, a part of the Olav Thon Group
If Skadeforsikring NUF
- Represented Unisport Scandinavia as contractor in a case against Lillesand Municipality relating to the construction of two football fields.
- Acted for the Public Road Administration in a settlement case relating to the construction of a municipal road.
- Represented Alento in a settlement dispute.
Corporate and white-collar crime expert Berit Reiss-Andersen heads up the practice at DLA Piper, which recently separated out its dispute resolution group into a standalone department. The team leverages the firm’s global network to handle cross-border mandates and also excels in construction, insurance, professional negligence, technology, IP and energy disputes. Alexander Plows is a key contact for insurance work, Arne Engesæth focuses on alternative dispute resolution, Johan Ratvik handles insolvencies, and Are Hunskaar is a construction expert.
‘Impressively thorough, excellent litigation skills both legal and practically, reassuring towards clients in the entire process.‘
‘Johan Ratvik has managed a very difficult counterpart with ease and conviction. He is a genuinely nice and down to earth guy, and at the same time he does brilliant work in court.‘
QBE European Operations
- Representing Investec in a dispute against Pareto Securities relating to misrepresentations and non-disclosures surrounding the financing of a transaction.
- Defending HSBC in a class action brought by a group of consumers alleging they were deceived into paying management fees to a Norwegian company that purported to have an intermediary relationship with the bank.
- Defended Multiconsult in a professional liability claim relating to the construction of underground parking facilities and tennis courts on the roof of a building.
Insurance boutique Advokatfirma Kogstad Lunde & Co is ‘very solid with highly skilled lawyers who have extensive litigation experience’ and ‘the breadth and depth of that experience makes it unique in this particular area of law’. The group’s client roster of insurer clients includes Tryg, Protector and AIG Europe. Trond Werner Lunde and Terje Marthinsen jointly lead the practice and specialise in tort law and personal injury cases respectively. Eivind Kogstad retired in 2019.
Trond Werner Lunde; Terje Marthinsen
‘They have 100% focus on the insurance industry and therefore are very well informed on all legal changes in the industry.‘
‘Kogstad Lunde & Co are trustworthy and represent us on the best terms. We can always trust them to represent us in the best ways.‘
‘This is a very solid firm with highly skilled lawyers who have extensive litigation experience. Both the breadth and depth of the lawyers’ experience make them unique in their particular areas of law. The lawyers are firmly rooted locally in Norway, but the firm’s close relationship with Kennedys Law makes it unique. If I need legal assistance and litigators, I always think of Kogstad Lunde first.’
‘The lawyers in Kogstad Lunde are very knowledgeable, approachable and easy to contact on both small and large legal issues. I am always treated with respect, and the lawyers are always looking for the best and most cost-effective solution to the case.‘
‘In particular, I would like to emphasise Trond Werner Lunde as the leader who always puts the needs of the client first, and whose experience and professional weight has great impact in dispute cases, litigation and arbitration. I would also like to mention Terje Marthinsen who is a very skilled and professionally engaged litigator.‘
The Norwegian Government / The National Complaint
Board for Health Services
Jernbanepersonalets Bank og Forsikring
The Norwegian Motor Insurers’ Bureau (TFF)
The Norwegian Government / Attorney General / The
Norwegian Labours and Welfare Organisation
The Norwegian Occupational Injury Insurers’ Bureau
Knif Trygghet Forsikring
INSR Insurance Group
Randall & Quilter
Norsk Hussopp Forsikring
AXA Partners SAS
Dual Corporate Risks Limited
The Norwegian Auditor’s Association / Aegis / C. J.
Chubb European Group Ltd Sweden
Chubb European Group Ltd Norway
Allianz Global Corporate and Speciality SE
HCC International Insurance Company PLC
Tokio Marine Kiln
- Represented Protector Forsikring as the building insurer and liability insurer of the owner of Grenfell Tower in issues following the Grenfell Tower fire.
- Handling multiple personal injury cases for Tryg Forsikring.
- Acting for the defendant auditor in a professional indemnity case.