IT and telecoms in Northern Ireland
Arthur Cox Belfast is the pre-eminent firm for commercial IT contracts in the public sector, and also represents major private companies such as market-leading wholesaler Musgrave. Alan Taylor, who leads the practice, is reputed for his work in handling IT contacts, and works alongside William Curry , who has expertise in outsourcing and procurement agreements. The team is also adept in handling increasingly relevant areas such as fintech and regtech, most notably though Lynsey Mallon. Corporate partner Paul McBride, who similarly has a strong focus on IT, is also recommended.
Musgrave Retail Partners NI
Department of Finance
Sonrai Analytics Limited
Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs
Department for Infrastructure
Belfast Metropolitan College
Northern Ireland Housing Executive
- Acting for Musgrave in connection with a commercial IT contract with PayPoint for the supply of certain IT till systems to Musgrave’s stores across Northern Ireland.
- Advising W&R Barnett in respect of a commercial IT contract with Thyme-IT for the provision of certain software relating to customs and excise transaction processing.
- Advising Land and Property Services on all aspects of their highly significant LPS Nova Programme.
With expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters, Carson McDowell has built up a strong reputation in the market for advising traditional companies on digital transformations, as well as advising tech start-ups on licensing and development issues. Dawn McKnight is the key name of note and advises on IT contracts, hosting agreements and cybersecurity. Peter Guzhar brings another dimension to the practice with his expertise in software patent and copyright disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Vinci Energies UK Holding
Ulster University and Innovation Ulster
Department of Finance
Firmus Energy Supply
Caversham Finance Ltd t/a Brighthouse
- Advised STATSports in relation to the technology they develop and how to protect it, the software they use.
- Acted as the sole legal advisers to Ulster University and Innovation Ulster and regularly act for its spin out companies, a number of which are IT related.
- Advising Firmus Energy on the contracts for the provision of a new customer billing and management system.
A&L Goodbody is accomplished in advising major corporate clients on the implementation of software and new technology, with key strengths in IT contracts, licensing and GDPR compliance. Mark Thompson heads the practice and is an expert in handling commercial agreements and compliance for major corporates and technology start-ups. He works alongside Brendan Fox, who has a track record on technology-based disputes. Associate Jonathan Hacking, who is experienced in information technology and data protection, is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Belfast Waterfront and Ulster Hall Limited
Power NI Energy
EPISO 4 Banbridge SARL
Skylark Control Limited
Brain Wave Bank
- Advised Belfast Waterfront & Ulster Hall in relation to the implementation of a new IT system for ticketing.
- Advised Power NI Energy in relation to a complex IT contract for the implementation of a software solution for the business.
- Drafted customer facing terms and conditions for the use of an innovative new app developed by 3fivetwo Healthcare.
With a client base that ranges from local startups to Silicon Valley giants, Tughans is highly experienced in advising on licensing and commercial agreements, as well as private equity and venture capital deals. Adrian O’Connell, who leads the team, is very strong in data protection, contractual agreements and IP. Corporate partners John McGuckian and John-George Willis also have a track record of work on transactions involving the technology sector.
Invest Northern Ireland
Techstart Ventures LLP
Business Growth Fund (BGF)
Fusion Antibodies plc
OCO Global Limited
Titan IC Systems
- Advised Titan IC Systems on licensing deals with TrendMicro, Cisco, Xilinx and Marvell Semiconductors.
- Advised Sabsa Education Services on a number of licensing agreements.
- Assisting EOS across a range of matters including the licensing of the company’s products and services.
With a particular focus on digital content technology and e-learning, Millar McCall Wylie LLP advises on M&A and private equity transactions, as well as supply and services contracts and outsourcing contracts. Scott Kennedy, who leads the team, advises early-stage technology companies on their corporate and commercial requirements. Managing partner Damian McParland is also active in the digital media sphere.
Learning Pool Limited
Kanisi Limited t/as Rotor Videos
Hamilton Internet Services ltd t/as MyCarNeedsA.com
Nexus Point Ltd
Cobain Group Ltd
Automatic Metrics Ltd
Thrive CSR Ltd
Cirdan Imaging Ltd
- Advised Kanisi, which analyses digital video and music content, on its venture capital funding.
- Advised e-learning technology company Makematic on its private equity investment from Cordovan Capital.
- Advising Learning pool on a reseller agreement with City & Guilds whereby our client is granting C&G the rights to resell our clients e-learning management software products with its own training software.